- 1 PAUL REVERE LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 OTHER BROTHERS
- 2.9 DISTRICTS
- 2.10 LINKS
PAUL REVERE LODGE
Location: North Bridgewater (Brockton)
Chartered By: John T. Heard
Charter Date: 03/11/1857 VI-97
Precedence Date: 03/04/1856
Current Status: Active
Paul Dean Lodge merged here, 09/25/2004.
- Lucien B. Keith, 1856; Mem
- George Clark, 1857
- Augustus Mitchell, 1858-1861
- Peter F. Hollywood, 1862, 1863
- Charles C. Bixby, 1864, 1865
- Enos H. Reynolds, 1866, 1867
- Baalis Sanford, 1868, 1869
- Francis M. French, 1870, 1871
- Samuel F. Howard, 1872
- Ferdinand Smith, 1873, 1874
- A. Cranston Thompson, 1875, 1876
- John S. Fuller, 1877, 1878
- Fred L. Trow, 1879, 1880
- John A. Jackson, 1881, 1882
- Edward Parker, 1883, 1884
- David W. Battles, 1885, 1886
- David W. Blankinship, 1887, 1888
- Francis E. Shaw, 1889, 1890
- Herbert I. Mitchell, 1891, 1892; SN
- Albion H. Howe, 1893, 1894
- William H. Emerson, 1895, 1896
- Calvin R. Barrett, 1897, 1898
- Bernard B. Winslow, 1899, 1900
- E. Francis Pope, 1901, 1902; Mem
- George A. Thatcher, 1903, 1904; N
- Arthur L. Beals, 1905, 1906
- Edgar W. Farwell, 1907, 1908
- Merton S. Gurney, 1909, 1910
- John H. Gordon, 1911, 1912
- Walter F. Johnson, 1913, 1914
- Albert C. MacGregory, 1915, 1916
- John M. Mosher, 1917, 1918
- George N. Hall, 1919, 1920
- John N. Howard, 1921, 1922; N
- William R. Cook, 1923, 1924
- T. Harry Blackman, 1925, 1926
- Harry H. Williams, 1927, 1928; N
- Maynard J. Gordon, 1929, 1930
- Harvey D. Friend, 1931
- Duncan W. Edes, 1932, 1933; N
- Frederick W. Wormelle, 1934, 1935
- Elmer R. Nightingale, 1936, 1937
- Fred P. Gurney, 1938, 1939
- David D. North, Sr., 1940, 1941
- Bernard S. Sabean, 1942, 1943
- B. Strout Stevens, 1944, 1945
- Kenneth C. Burrill, 1946, 1947
- H. Arthur Ward, 1948, 1949
- William H. Evans, 1950, 1951
- S. Forrest Kelliher, 1952, 1953; N
- Ronald F. Holt, 1954, 1955
- Joseph E. Arms, 1956, 1957
- George C. Dunbar, 1958, 1959
- David D. North, Jr., 1960, 1961
- Robert E. Bean, 1962, 1963
- George E. Andrews, 1964
- David T. Carleton, 1965, 1966; PDDGM
- Floyd H. Gilbert, 1967, 1968
- Ernest L. Ducharme, 1969, 1970
- Theodore H. Wiede, 1971, 1972; PDDGM
- Alan S. MacEachern, 1973, 1974
- Jerome H. Fletcher, 1975, 1976
- Roland C. Crocker, 1977
- John A. Howe, 1978, 1979
- Raymond E. Allen, 1980, 1981
- Fred R. Perry, 1982, 1983
- Bruce K. Pratt, 1984, 1985, 1996, 2003-2006
- Leon P. Bagdon, 1986, 1987
- William R. Washburn, 1988, 1989
- David J. Goodrich, 1990, 1991
- Andrew Klecha, 1992, 1993
- Richard O. Cusick, 1994, 1995; PDDGM
- Byron B. Sanderson, 1997, 1998
- Frederic L. Milliken, III, 1999, 2000
- Douglas G. Massey, 2001, 2002, 2007
- James M. Hardy, 2008-2010; DDGM
- Brent LaFrancis', 2011
- Thomas J. Burke, Sr., 2012
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1856
- Petition for Charter: 1857
- Consolidation Petition (with Paul Dean Lodge): 2004
- 1906 (50th Anniversary)
- 1920 (65th Anniversary)
- 1956 (Centenary)
- 1981 (125th Anniversary)
- 2006 (150th Anniversary)
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1857 (Heard; Constitution of Lodge and installation)
- 1879 (Welch)
- 1881 (Lawrence)
- 1893 (Acting Grand Master Shepard)
- 1900 (Gallagher; Hall dedication)
- 1903 (Sanford; 3 visits)
- 1905 (Sanford; 3 visits, including installation)
- 1906 (Blake; 50th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1907 (Blake)
- 1912 (Benton)
- 1919 (L. Abbott)
- 1920 (Prince; 65th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1921 (Prince)
- 1923 (Ferrell; installation)
- 1924 (Ferrell; Old Timers' Night)
- 1933 (Chipman)
- 1956 (W. Johnson; Centenary; Special Communication)
- 1957 (A. Jenkins); Ladies' Night)
- 1964 (Osgood); Hall dedication; Special Communication)
- 1965 (Osgood); George W. Smith Night)
- 1975 (Maxwell)
- 1977 (Maxwell); Mortgage burning; Special Communication)
- 1981 (Berquist); 2 visits, including 125th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1983 (Berquist)
- 1985 (Richardson)
- 1992 (Darling; installation)
- 1994 (Lovering; testimonial for S. Forrest Kelliher)
- 1996 (A. Johnson)
- 2001 (Bauer)
- 2004 (Hicks; Consolidation; Special Communication)
- 2006 (Hodgdon; 150th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 2007 (Hodgdon)
- 1956 (Centenary History, 1956-24; see below)
- 1981 (125th Anniversary History History, 1981-3; see below)
- 2006 (150th Anniversary History History, 2006-144; see below)
CENTENARY HISTORY, FEBRUARY 1956
From Proceedings, Page 1956-24:
By Worshipful George W. Smith.
As we recall the events that have occurred during the span of a century of Freemasonry in this section and of Paul Revere Lodge in particular, we cannot be unmindful of the circumstances prevailing in that far-distant past. We mentally picture the individuals who have left the imprint of their lives and characters upon the pages of history and of this Lodge, and sympathetically evaluate the great services they rendered to the Craft. Such a look back over the years must of necessity touch only the high spots.
We are enjoying the results of the labors of many men dedicated to Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth. We remember them almost with veneration, striving as we do to carry on the high traditions they have left on the scroll of time.
When it is recalled that practically all the great advances that have made life so much easier, even since time immemorial, have been developed during the last hundred years, it is not too much of a strain on the imagination to picture the conditions when plans were making for the formation of a Masonic Lodge in this growing Town. There were no means of transportation other than horse-drawn, no street lighting, no water, electric, or gas facilities, dirt roads, no telephones, and few opportunities except in the churches for fellowship and community activity. A century ago the only Masonic accommodations available to the residents of what was then North Bridgewater were Fellowship Lodge in Bridgewater, Norfolk Union Lodge in Randolph, and Rising Star Lodge in Stoughton. This did not satisfy the desires of the Masons of the town for facilities requiring less sacrifice of time and travel in attendance at Masonic meetings. The need for a Lodge in North Bridgewater finally crystallized.
Brother Lucien B. Keith, who had but recently become a resident of the Town, and who was a member of Star in the East Lodge of New Bedford, is esteemed the father of Paul Revere Lodge. He resided in a home at the corner of North Main and Rutland Streets in a house later the residence of Bro. Benjamin O. Caldwell, and now the site of a filling station.
Eleven Master Masons comprised the Brothers in the Town at that time, and Brother Keith suggested to some of them the desirability of forming a Masonic Lodge. On January 1, 1856, a meeting was called to assemble in what was then Massasoit Hall, Kingman's Block, over the Howard & Caldwell store, now the site of the Kennedy Building. Brother Keith was appointed chairman of the meeting, and Jonas R. Perkins, Secretary. After discussing the contemplated project and selecting the name of Paul Revere, they unanimously voted that a petition be presented to the Grand Lodge for a dispensation to work as a Lodge under the name selected, they having the approval and consent of the neighboring Lodges, and also the approbation of the District Deputy Grand Master, who at that time was Right Worshipful Albert Case of Hingham. Brother Keith was chosen as the one to present the prayer of the petitioners to the Grand Master.
The records do not indicate how the name of Paul Revere was chosen, but it was a unanimous decision of the men at the meeting. A Masonic tradition in our Lodge leads us to believe that two petitions for dispensations for new Lodges were in the hands of the Grand Master at the same time, as it appeared afterward, each asking the name of Paul Revere, but ours being the first letter to be opened we were allowed to take the name we bear, and the other Lodge took the name of Revere Lodge in Boston.
On February 4, 1856, a dispensation was granted by Most Worshipful John T. Heard, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, authorizing and empowering the following Brethren to form and open a Lodge after the manner of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and to make Freemasons according to the ancient custom: Lucien B. Keith, George Clark, Lorenzo D. Hervey, Robert Smith, Alexander Hitchborn, Jonas R. Perkins, Augustus Mitchell, David Cobb, Thomas May, Samuel Howard and Hiram Packard. Lucien B. Keith was appointed by the Grand Master to be the Master under dispensation, George Clark to be the first Senior Warden, and Lorenzo D. Hervey the first Junior Warden. Under the dispensation the first regular meeting of the new Lodge was held in the then Massasoit Hall on April 15, 1856, and regular formal action was taken on the organization. This was completed by the appointment of Robert Smith, Treasurer; Jonas R. Perkins, Secretary; Augustus Mitchell, Senior Deacon; Alexander Hitchborn, Junior Deacon; Hiram Packard, Steward; and Thomas May, Tyler.
Brothers Smith, Clark and Hitchborn were named a committee of three to furnish and prepare a hall suitable for Masonic purposes. The committee reported that Massasoit Hall, recently occupied by the Odd Fellows' Association, was available and had been secured. This was the birthplace and first home of Paul Revere Lodge. The rooms were small, the furniture scant and devoid of richness, with no musical equipment. The records inform us that the property was purchased for the sum of $150.00. This little band of Masons was imbued with the true spirit of Masonry, and was destined to become the founding group of a Lodge that fifty years later was the third largest in the Commonwealth. Six candidates were received and initiated while working under the dispensation: Peter F. Hollywood, the first, on May 13, 1856; Loring W. Puffer, the second; Charles C. Bixby, the third; Benjamin R. Clapp, Joel F. Ellis and Aaron B. Drake making the six. Only Brother Puffer lived to participate in the observance of the fiftieth anniversary. It is of interest to realize a tie with the distant past in that several of our elder Brethren were well acquainted with Brother Puffer, who was the second candidate, a century ago.
At the termination of the dispensation on March 10, 1857, a meeting of the Lodge was duly called, and it was voted to apply for a charter, with a set of By-Laws as adopted by the Lodge, and the records of the Lodge activities under the dispensation accompanying the application. This was done the next day, March 11, 1857, it being the regular Quarterly Communication of Grand Lodge. The By-Laws were confirmed and the Charter granted. On April 6, 1857, Paul Revere Lodge was consecrated and dedicated, and its officers duly installed. The Grand Lodge Officers present and officiating were Most Worshipful Grand Master John T. Heard, Senior Grand Warden Bradford L. Wales, Junior Grand Warden John H. Sheppard, Grand Treasurer Thomas Tolman, Grand Secretary Charles W. Moore, First Grand Steward Peter Wainwright, Second Grand Steward John Alden, Grand Chaplain Rev. N. Gaylord, Grand Marshal Peter G. Jones and Grand Tyler Eben T. Gay.
The first full list of officers installed was as follows: Worshipful Master, George Clark; Senior Warden, Lorenzo D. Hervey; Junior Warden, Augustus Mitchell; Treasurer, Robert Smith; Secretary, Jonas R. Perkins; Senior Deacon, Charles C. Bixby; Junior Deacon, Peter F. Hollywood; Tyler, Thomas May.
Wor. Bro. Keith, the first signer of the application, and the first Master of the Lodge, served but one year on account of the pressure of other duties, but he served four years as Treasurer, and was District Deputy Grand Master in 1857 and 1858. His influence in forming and fashioning the young Lodge, and infusing it with the tone and character which guided its future growth and usefulness are monuments to his Masonic stature. He died September 15, 1864, at the age of sixty-one, respected in life and justly honored in death. The records show that every member of the Lodge was in attendance at his funeral, together with members from all the Lodges in the neighboring towns.
Wor. Bro. George Clark served as Master for but one year, being occupied with his duties in the State Department in Boston. Hiram Packard, the second Tyler of the Lodge, lived in the locality known as Factory Village, and while in office, died May 1, 1860. This was the first death of a member appearing in the records. Bro. Thomas May had the distinction of being one of those stalwart Masons who dared and risked his everything by signing the Declaration of Principles during the Anti-Masonic period in 1831.
During the first decade of our existence, the Lodge passed through the terrible scourge of a great Civil War, but instead of suffering reverses, it proved a period of prosperity for the Lodge, the membership growing to 522, many knowing that Masonry stood for brotherhood, for a loving word and a helping hand. About seventy-five members of the Lodge served in the army.
Recent research has brought to light a most significant occurrence during that "certain difference of opinion" which gentlemen refer to as "The War between the States," to quote the words of Most Worshipful A. Douglas Smith, Jr., Past Grand Master of Virginia, in recent correspondence.
In reviewing the history of Kilwinning Crosse— Port Royal Lodge No. 2-237, of Port Royal, Virginia, now celebrating its 200th anniversary, written by Most Worshipful James Noah Hillman, Grand Secretary, there appears in the minutes of January 9, 1888, a communication from our Brother Emory-Packard, who was made a member in 1862, as follows:
To the W.M., Wardens and Bros, of Kilwinning Crosse Lodge-No. 237, Port Royal, Virginia.
In June, 1864,1 was a musician in a Band in the 9th Army Corps and we were attached to General Curtain's Headquarters. An incident occurred during that month which I have never forgotten, and one in which your Lodge is interested, and which I here record.
During the march of our army from Fredericksburg to Port Royal some members of the 6th Corps broke into your Lodge Room and stole from it the valuable jewels belonging to your order. A day or two after the soldier who took them showed them to me, his treasure, which was contained in a good-sized box and which he had concealed in his knapsack. The fellow was not a Mason. I, however, was one of the Order, having joined the Paul Revere Lodge in 1860, located in North Bridgewater, now the flourishing city of Brockton, Mass. I at once determined to get possession of the jewels at all hazards and have them returned to the rightful owners.
[ argued with him and reasoned with him to prevail on him to give them up. I told him it would not be safe for him to carry them about with him, that he would get into trouble, etc., and etc. I tried to buy them of him and finally, after much persuasion, a price was agreed upon at which he would part with them. Money was then a scarce article among our troops and I borrowed some from my friends in the army and paid him and took possession of the treasure. Being a Mason, I felt that I was doing you a good turn. I at once forwarded them by Express to my own Lodge, where they safely arrived and sometime after, when the Cruel War was over, they were returned to you.
I have thought of that incident a good many times and have often wished I could visit your Lodge. But am getting somewhat along in years and my circumstances are not such as I can go and come when I choose. But I still hope that sometime I may be able to drop in and see you. This is Christmas day and I was thinking over some of the incidents in my life and this came up afresh and I thought you might like to hear from one who perhaps saved your jewels from being scattered, melted up or destroyed.
I should be much pleased to hear from you. Through me your jewels were saved.
/s/ Emory Packard
Member of Paul Revere Lodge Brockton, Mass.
A true COPY
R. D. Vincent, Secty.
The committee to which was referred Bro. Packard's letter reported in part as follows:
Bowling Green, Va. Jan. 15, 1888
We beg herewith to hand you a copy of the Resolutions adopted by Kilwinning Crosse Lodge, No. 237, at a meeting held Jan. 9, 1888. It may be interesting to you that we should five you something of the history of these old and valued jewels, as well as of Kilwinning Crosse Lodge No. 2, from which they were stolen in 1864.
As the number (2) indicates, this was the 2d lodge established in Virginia. (It was said it was the 2d in the United States.) It was chartered in Dec. 1755, by the Grand Lodge of Scotland, mainly through Bro. John Crosse of Kilwinning, Scotland, hence the name "Kilwinning Crosse Lodge." Brother Crosse had these jewels made of solid silver (in London) and presented them to the Lodge at Port Royal, Va.
Besides these jewels, we have in perfect preservation, the beautiful velvet collar and silk apron which he wore when he visited the Lodge in Port Royal. We specially regret that the Master's jewel which he wore was not reclaimed. This jewel, with the two others not returned we have had duplicated. We have the Masonic chart and setting maul. The old charters of this lodge are held by the Grand Lodge of Virginia.
When the stolen jewelry which your Brotherly intervention secured and caused to be returned to the Lodge at Port Royal, in 1867, was received, the Worshipful Master of the Lodge, Brother Randolph Peyton, had died, and Bro. George Washington Catlett took them in charge. He idolized them. He refused to surrender them to the Grand Lodge of Virginia, though often demanded by the Right Worshipful District Deputy Grand Master to do so, and would not do so until the Grand Lodge had instituted suit to secure them. They were to him a part of his life, perhaps the happiest and brightest part — that which lay beyond the cruel war, which had separated him from the association of those he loved, the Iliad of all his woes. They are ours now, and we cherish and love them for their association and history. No jewels have ever had a more checkered life. And to you, Dear Brother Packard, we the lineal descendants of old Kilwinning Crosse Lodge No. 2, owe a debt of gratitude for the part you took in recovering and restoring them to the mother lodge. In her name and for her sake, as well as our own, we extend to you our heartfelt thanks for this act of justice and kindness. We assure you of our brotherly appreciation and in further token thereof extend to you a cordial invitation to visit our lodge and us, as individual members of it, assuring you that no bristling bayonet shall bar your pathway — nor Rebel shot from front, rear, or flank be fired upon you.
We will meet you upon the level, act with you upon the plumb, and part with you upon the square.
May the bonds of brotherly love ever unite us.
With sentiments of highest esteem, we beg to subscribe ourselves,
Fraternally yours, and signed by the Master and Wardens.
Reference to our records shows that Bro. Emory Packard of North Kaston received his degrees May 12, 1862, and that he sent a letter to the Virginia Brethren in 1888, a copy of which was placed in our files, but unfortunately after the lapse of time they are no longer available, but it is recorded on his application that he was a musician.
Masonic activities in this section were on the increase, and on September 8, 1857, the Lodge voted to approve, sanction and recommend the granting of a petition for a new Lodge in the Town of Abington, now John Cutler Lodge. On March 19, 1867, the Lodge took the necessary steps to recommend the formation of a new Lodge in North Easton, Paul Dean Lodge. Nine members demitted to become charter members.
Masonic interest in the area served by Paul Revere Lodge also led to the formation of two other Lodges. On February 6, 1877, a petition signed by Fred W. Park and nineteen others was presented, asking a recommendation that a charter be granted for a new Lodge in Campello. Subsequently twenty members demitted and became charter members of St. George Lodge. In 1916, as a result of a steady increase in membership in this City, it seemed desirable to take steps toward the formation of a new Lodge. As a result, on April 2, 1917, a dispensation was granted by Grand Lodge for the formation of Baalis Sanford Lodge. Nineteen members of Paul Revere Lodge were among the twenty-four charter members, dual membership then being allowed.
Paul Revere Lodge has had four abiding places during the one hundred years of its existence. From 1856 to 1866 quarters were the vacated space of the Odd Fellows' Association in the Kingman Black. In 1866 the Lodge had grown to such proportions, having one hundred eleven members, that there was a growing feeling that more adequate quarters should be provided, and a committee was appointed to study the matter. July 16, 1867, a report was made that larger and more convenient rooms were available in addition to the rooms already occupied by the Lodge on the same floor of the building. At this meeting, with unanimous approval, a lease for fifteen years was arranged, suitable changes to be made to meet the needs of the Lodge. The rental was to be $250.00 a year. The apartments were furnished in elegant style, with rich and substantial furniture, at a cost of $4,700.00, which was paid for before occupancy, the Lodge then being in quarters considered the finest and most complete in this section of the State. Worshipful Baalis Sanford was the first Master to be installed in the new quarters. No special program marked the acquisition of the additional rooms.
At the expiration of this lease Satucket Roval Arch Chapter and Bay State Commandery No. 38, K.T., had been organized, necessitating more rooms and better accommodations. A syndicate having purchased the property at the corner of Main and Ward Streets, known as the Southworth estate, and being about to erect a large business block, now known as the City Block, it was thought advisable to contact the owners to see if arrangements could be made to furnish quarters for the Masonic Fraternity. Worshipful Baalis Sanford, A. Cranston Thompson, and Loring W. Puffer were the committee to investigate, and they reported that the whole upper story of the building would be placed at the disposal of the committee to be arranged and fitted as might be desired. The committee being well skilled in the arts and architecture, it was specified that the walls should be eighteen feet in the clear and well ventilated.
The building was completed May 1, 1881, and on May 10, 1881, the apartments were dedicated by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, the following being present: M. W. Samuel C. Lawrence, Grand Master; R. W. Edwin Wright, Deputy Grand Master; R. W. R. Lyman Winship, Senior Grand Warden; R. W. Nathan S. Kimball, Junior Grand Warden; R. W. Samuel Wells, Grand Treasurer; R. W. Tracy Cheever, Grand Secretary; Wor. Frederick D. Ely, Grand Marshal; Rev. and Bro. H. L. Kelsey, Grand Chaplain; Wor. Baalis Sanford, Grand Architect; Wor. Joseph F. French, Senior Grand Deacon; Wor. Luther Sissin, Junior Grand Deacon; Wor. Elmer W. Walker and Wor. George F. Walker, Grand Stewards; Wor. Henry Parker, Grand Tyler.
Wor. John A. Jackson was Master and presided. The Grand Officers were properly received and seated, and the ceremonies of dedication were performed, as the apartments were dedicated to Freemasonry, to Virtue, and to Universal Benevolence. Wor. Edward Parker, as Master of Ceremonies, welcomed the very distinguished gathering of members and ladies to an entertainment of the highest caliber of the period, following the formal ceremonies.
At a period in the occupancy of these ample quarters an opportunity was presented for the purchase of the building at very favorable terms, but after much consideration the Lodge decided against taking the step, whether for the long-term best interests of all concerned, only time can tell.
The apartments where we now meet are the fourth home of Paul Revere Lodge, and were dedicated with full form and ceremony by the Grand Lodge Officers April 24, 1900, during the term of Wor. Bernard B. Winslow as Master. Grand Lodge Officers present were Most Worshipful Charles T. Gallagher, Grand Master; Elias P. Morton, Senior Grand Warden; Eugene C. Upton, Junior Grand Warden; Henry G. Fay, Past Grand Warden; Baalis Sanford, Past Grand Warden; Charles S. Robertson, Past Grand Warden; William H. H. Soule, Grand Treasurer; Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Secretary; R. W. G. F. Stebbins, D. D. G. Master for the 2d District; R. W. Charles F. Mann, D.D.G. Master for the 24th District; Wor. and Bro. Charles A. Skinner, Grand Chaplain; R. W. William B. Lawrence, Grand Marshal; Wor. Frank W. Mead, Senior Grand Deacon; Albert N. Blodgett, Junior Grand Deacon; William M. Farrington, Calvin D. Cameron, and Edward Parker, Grand Stewards; George W. Chester, Grand Tyler.
Conducted to their stations after a formal reception and greetings from the Master, Most Worshipful Brother Gallagher declared the beautiful and commodious quarters dedicated to Freemasonry, to Virtue, and to Universal Benevolence. A pleasant feature of the meeting was the presentation by Wor. Bro. Frank H. Reynolds of St. George Lodge of two of the great lights of Freemasonry, the square and compasses, of elegant workmanship and costly material, suitably engraved.
On behalf of Bro. William B. Revere of Canton, Massachusetts, now deceased, a great-grandson of Paul Revere, Bro. John Henry Nash, presented a gavel of wood from a piece of furniture used by his illustrious progenitor. There were 432 members and visitors present in Paul Revere Hall. Following the closing of Grand Lodge a sumptuous banquet was served, with speaking by the Grand Master and others of the guests.
Following the joys of the dedication by a few weeks, the Brethren were shocked by the death of R.W. Herbert I. Mitchell, one of the most active of the supervising committee. Little did the Brethren think that in less than five weeks they would be called upon to follow his remains to the grave.
Many items of interest appear in the records of a century of the life of Paul Revere Lodge.
It was voted in February of 1861 that a committee be appointed to procure an instrument of music for the use of the Lodge. Evidently the Brethren previous to this time had conferred the degrees without musical accompaniment, which in later years has been deemed almost indispensable to the beauty and dignity of Masonic work.
Voted in May of 1865 that the fees for initiation be raised from $25.00 to $35.00.
In June, 1867, the Lodge participated in the dedication of the new Masonic Temple in Boston, when the President of the United States, Andrew Johnson, a member of the Fraternity, honored the occasion with his presence. This Temple, destroyed by fire, has since been replaced by the present Temple at Tremont and Boylston Streets.
1869: Voted the free use of the hall to Satucket Royal Arch Chapter while under dispensation, and the same vote was afterward passed for the benefit of Bay State Commandery, No. 38, K.T. Voted that the Past Masters, also the present Master, be invited to provide suitable photographs of themselves to adorn the walls of our hall. It is a matter for mutual congratulation that a line of unbroken likenesses of the Past Masters of the Lodge is to be found in our reception room, thus linking the honorable past with our glorious present. Another vote at about this time was that a committee be set up to procure a lining for the ballot box.
In 1885 a communication was addressed to the Lodge by the Brockton Electric Light Company, suggesting the desirability of having electric lights installed in the quarters. After consideration and a report by the committee, the vote was against such an innovation, but it was voted to investigate the matter of ventilation.
The Lodge, in 1885, accepted with thanks the gift of the beautiful clock which now adorns the wall in Corinthian Hall. This was a gift from Abel Willard Kingman, Thomas Sewall Kingman, and Burton Elliott Kingman, brothers, Brockton-born men, not Masons. Abel was connected for many years with the famous firm of A. T. Stewart&Co., New York, where he was foreign silk buyer. The clock was designed and made by Tiffany in New York. The gears are all machine cut and the surfaces bear Masonic emblems etched on them, also on the mahogany case, a remarkable and appropriate memorial to their family. Wor. David W. Battles was the Master at this time.
In 1888 the Lodge conducted the Masonic funeral service for a late Brother at the Meeting House in Campello with a band of music. The presentation of a bill for $34.00 for the band raised somewhat of a question, the records reveal, as some Brethren felt that such an expenditure was not warranted as within the purposes of the Lodge. The bill was paid and recorded as not to be considered as a precedent. It was afterward paid by individual subscription among the members and the Lodge reimbursed.
It was during the term of R. W. Herbert I. Mitchell, in 1891, that the custom of formal dress for the officers was adopted, and it has continued to this day.
The Lodge participated in two notable civic events, one of the laying of the corner-stone of the City Hall, May 30, 1892, by the Grand Lodge, with Most Worshipful Samuel Wells as Grand Master. About one hundred members of the Lodge were present. Again, at the laying of the corner-stone of the High School September 19, 1904, with our own Most Worshipful Baalis Sanford as Grand Master.
In 1906, at the fiftieth anniversary, Most Worshipful Baalis Sanford in his remarks said: "May our past be an inspiration for the future; may the examples and devotion to the principles of Freemasonry of those who prepared the way for our prosperity deepen our own love for the same great truths; and as we face the duties and responsibilities of the unknown future, let us emulate the virtues and fidelity of the founders and contribute our best efforts for the continued success of our noble institution."
We hope that the second fifty years has seen the realization of some of the hopes expressed at that anniversary even as we can express the same thoughts and hopes as this first centurv draws to a close.
In 1907 the Lodge voted its approval of the Grand Lodge plan to establish a Masonic Home. At the dedication of the Williams addition to the Masonic Home, Paul Revere Lodge presented a check for $1000.00 to Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell to furnish a room.
As a part of the Pilgrim Tercentenary celebration in 1920, Paul Revere Lodge dedicated the evening of December 21 for the presentation of a Pilgrim Pageant, prepared and rendered by our Chaplain, Rev. Bro. Warren P. Landers, titled: "The Spirit of John Alden." Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince and the Grand Lodge Officers were special guests. The pageant and banquet preceding it attracted one of the largest gatherings in our history. A feature of the ceremonies was the deposit of a copper box in a fieldstone rock similar in shape to Plymouth Rock. Sealed in the copper box were a speech by the Grand Master, and a collection of other important papers and articles.
The box is to be opened at the Pilgrim Quadricentennial observance. The stone rests in front of the Junior Warden's station in the South with a suitable inscription engraved on the plate mounted on it.
Our 75th anniversary was observed February 10, 1931, during the term of Worshipful Harvey D. Friend, with a special program featured by the presence of R. W. Winfield H. Temple, Senior Grand Warden, and his suite. R. W. Harold W. Sprague was District Deputy Grand Master at the time. R. W. William H. Emerson was Toastmaster at the banquet which was attended by 475 members. Dinner was served in both Paul Revere Hall and the lower banquet hall. R. W. David W. Battles gave a history, and having known all the Past Masters since the beginning, his address was most interesting. All but three of the living Past Masters were present. Each of the Past Masters was introduced and called the roll of the Brethren they had raised.
March 7, 1933, it was voted to raise the dues from $4.00 to S6.00, and in 1949, they were raised to $8.00.
On April 12, 1933, a fire in a first floor store spread to our kitchen and corridors and caused smoke damage to our entire quarters, necessitating complete redecoration. The apartments were again in use for the June 1933 regular communication.
Under the leadership of R. W. Duncan W. Edes, then Master, on November 21, 1933, we observed Old Timers' Night, with 335 Brethren present. Most Worshipful Curtis Chipman, Grand Master, and a suite of fourteen distinguished Brethren were special guests. There was a third degree, banquet, roll call, and recognition of forty-year members. Of sixty-one so distinguished thirty-one were present. Ten of fourteen members of fifty years' standing answered.
January 22, 1935, under our late Wor. Bro. Wormelle, a Veterans' Night was observed with a capacity attendance. Dinner was served and a special program held in honor of the 50th anniversary of Wor. David W. Battles as Master. R. W. Wendell H. Prout, Deputy Grand Master, and a large suite were the honored guests. On Wor. Bro. Battles' birthday he was presented a gold jewel by the Lodge, and the collateral bodies over which he had presided made appropriate presentations.
February 1, 1935, notice of a proposed foreclosure of our present leased quarters by the bank received attention and a committee was appointed to consider participation in the sale. The committee, Wor. David W. Battles, Wor. John H. Gordon, Bro. H. Lawton Blanchard, R. W. George A. Thatcher, Bro. Charles G. Willard, and R.W. Duncan W. Edes, finally recommended no action be taken.
On the evening of May 5, 1953, Wor. S. Forrest Kelliher conducted a Veterans' Night, with an official visit from R.W. Ralph W. Copeland, District Deputy Grand Master, who presented fifty-year Veterans' Medals to R.W. Harry H. Williams, Bro. William F. Curtis, Bro. Herbert C. Low, Bro. Joseph A. Thurston, Bro. Cecil R. Carleton, and Bro. G. Safford Beal, the latter two in absentia. Seventeen fifty-year Veterans were present. An unusual feature of the evening was the presence of R.W. George A. Thatcher, presiding Master in 1903, who raised this group of candidates.
This year, on our one hundredth anniversary, the Lodge is the recipient of a gavel made and presented by Bro. Florus A. Bowman, Illustrious Master of Brockton Council, R. & S. M. The wood used in this gavel is from a piece of roofing timber from Paul Revere's house. The gavel is enclosed in a mahogany case, with a cover of inlaid veneer adorned with the Masonic emblem. Also at the Master's station is a piece of timber from the Paul Revere house, bearing a descriptive plate.
The Lodge membership at its highest was 923, in 1926, under Wor. T. Harry Blackman. It was then the seventh largest in the state. At our 50th anniversary in 1906, the membership stood at 504. Present membership is 723.
Fifty-two Masters have presided over the destinies of the Lodge, including the present one, all but four having served the now accepted term of two years. They are: Lucien B. Keith, 1856; George Clark, 1857; Augustus Mitchell, 1858-1861; Peter F. Hollywood, 1862-1863; Charles C. Bixby, 1864-1865; Enos H. Reynolds, 1866-1867; Baalis Sanford, 1868-1869; Francis M. French, 1870-1871; Samuel F. Howard, 1872; Ferdinand Smith, 1873-1874; A. Cranston Thompson, 1875-1876; John S. Fuller, 1877-1878; Fred L. Trow, 1789-1880; John A. Jackson, 1881-1882; Edward Parker, 1883-1884; David W. Battles, 1885-1886; David W. Blankenship, 1887-1888; Francis E. Shaw, 1889-1890; Herbert I. Mitchell, 1891-1892; Albion H. Howe, 1893-1894; William H. Emerson, 1895-1896; Calvin R. Barrett, 1897-1898; Bernard B. Winslow, 1899-1900; E. Francis Pope, 1901-1902; George A. Thatcher, 1903-1904; Arthur L. Beals, 1905-1906; Edgar W. Farwell, 1907-1908; Merton S. Gurney, 1909-1910; John H. Gordon, 1911-1912; Walter E. Johnson, 1913-1914; Albert C. MacGregory, 1915-1916; John M. Mosher, 1917-1918; George N. Hall, 1919-1920; John N. Howard, 1921-1922; William Rapp Cook, 1923-1924; T. Harry Blackman, 1925-1926; Harry H. Williams, 1927-1928; Maynard J. Gordon, 1929-1930; Harvey D. Friend, 1931; Duncan W. Edes, 1932-1933; Frederick W. Wormelle, 1934-1935; Elmer R. Nightingale, 1936-1937; Fred P. Gurney, 1939-1939; David D. North, 1940-1941; Bernard S. Sabean, 1942-1943; B. Strout Stevens, 1944-1945; Kenneth C. Burrill, 1946-1947; H. Arthur Ward' 1948-1949; William H. Evans, 1950-1951; S. Forrest Kelliher' 1952-1953; Ronald F. Holt, 1954-1955; Joseph E. Arms, 1956.
It is interesting to note that several family combinations have been Masters of Paul Revere Lodge. Merton S. Gurney and his son, Fred P. Gurney, have both presided over the Lodge. John H. Gordon and his son, Maynard J. Gordon, have both presided, and his grandson, Robert J. Gordon, is now serving as Junior Deacon. David D. North has served the Lodge as Master, and his son, David D. North, Jr., is the present Junior Warden.
The Past Masters who are with us tonight need no encomiums from your historian. They are known and respected in the com- munity; they are regarded by us all as having been efficient, painstaking, and careful ritualists; earnest, enthusiastic and able leaders all to aspire to high standards of excellence, with the result that Paul Revere Lodge stands second to none in the requirements of a well-governed Lodge.
Eight Treasurers have served the Lodge, Bradford E. Jones for 39 years; the present incumbent, Wallace L. Youngstrom, for 14 years. Ten Secretaries have kept the records, Wor. Bro. George W. Smith, the present Secretary, for 41 years. Bro. Arthur C. Dole, the Tyler, has been outside the door for over 43 years. The Organist, Walter J. Dodd, has served for 45 years.
Paul Revere Lodge has been signally honored by Grand Lodge in the appointment and election of many members for certain duties and has received in return the loyal support of members of whom we are justly proud. Most Worshipful Baalis Sanford, first appointed to minor office, advanced to Most Worshipful Grand Master, serving in 1903-1904-1905. Other former members, but not Past Masters of this Lodge, to become Grand Masters were Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell and Most Worshipful Thomas S. Roy, R. W. William H. Emerson and R. W. Harold W. Sprague have served as Deputy Grand Master. Serving as District Deputy Grand Masters were the following: R. W. Lucien B. Keith, M. W. Baalis Sanford; R. W. Herbert I. Mitchell; R. W. E. Francis Pope, R. W. George A. Thatcher, R. W. John N. Howard, R. W. Harry H. Williams, R. W. Duncan W. Edes, R. W. Harold W. Sprague, and R. W. Harold S. Crocker, the latter two by virtue of having passed the Chair in another Lodge. Others have served in lesser Grand Lodge offices.
Many of our Past Masters and members have officiated in collateral York Rite bodies: thirty-five as High Priests of Satucket Royal Arch Chapter; six as Masters of Baalis Sanford Lodge; twenty-six as Illustrious Masters of Brockton Council of Royal and Select Masters; thirty-seven as Commanders of Bay State Commandery, No. 38, Knights Templar. In Grand Royal Arch Chapter we have had one Grand High Priest, two Grand Kings and two Grand Scribes. Two have served as Grand Masters in Grand Council and two have been Grand Commanders in Grand Commandery.
Members of Paul Revere Lodge have always played an important part in civic affairs, and have responded to our country's call in time of emergency.
No one would attempt to estimate the influence for good exerted by Paul Revere Lodge over the space of a century in this community. We now enter upon the second century, gratefully acknowledging the guiding hand of Divine Providence.
May the name of Paul Revere Lodge ever be held in sacred veneration and in fondest memories. May we continue to grow and exemplify all the attributes that brighten, purify, uplift, and inspire the thoughts and lives of humanity.
125TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, FEBRUARY 1981
From Proceedings, Page 1981-3:
1956-1981, By Brother Russell B. Ford
(For a comprehensive history of Paul Revere Lodge covering the earlier periods please refer to 1956 Mass. 24-41.)
A quarter century has now elapsed since our last recorded history. It is now time to record for posterity the events that have shaped Paul Revere Lodge as well as recognizing the many dedicated men that have guided our fraternity. It is not possible in these few pages to name each individual whose labors have allowed this Lodge to survive and flourish, but we are most grateful to them nevertheIess. It is because of these individuals who have worked so hard and been so faithful to the Lodge that Paul Revere Lodge has been able to continue the high traditions that have been our legacy.
In the past 25 years, many changes have been made in Brockton. There was general decline of the shoe industry with many of the factories closing. In the meantime, other businesses have entered the area. As a result, a decline fell on downtown Brockton and many of the downtown businesses moved to outlying Malls. The rise and competition of supermarkets and malls has changed the travel picture for millions in this country and Brockton was no exception. Public transportation took a back seat to the automobile. Within the past few years, a movement to restore downtown Brockton has seen many buildings torn down and a revitalization of the City Hall area. The old High School "A" building was torn down and a new High School complex built on the Old Flag Pond area, opposite the Fair Grounds. Even the big Brockton Fair has deteriorated to a small carnival and one of the Fair Buildings has been converted to business. A few new buildings have been constructed in the downtown area. The Brockton Enterprise has constructed new facilities on the land once occupied by the theatre. A new high rise apartment for low income housing has been built near City Hall. The school department has taken over the old Post Office on Crescent Street.
As a result of a changing Brockton, many members felt that Paul Revere's quarters on Center Street were no longer desirable and a move was on to find new quarters. The Temple Association, having been formed years ago, now started to investigate various locations. Several large homes and properties on the West Side were considered. Finally in May 1960, the Hamilton Wade House and Property at 279 Prospect Street was considered. After some deliberation, the necessary papers were drawn up on August 1960 and the Temple Association with money donated by Paul Revere Lodge became the new owner. Almost immediately the first phase of renovating the house began. The central stairway was removed and partitions on the second floor were taken out to make way for the building of a small Lodge room. A stairwell was constructed in the back in preparation for phase II of a building program. The first meeting of Paul Revere Lodge in the new building was held in the small Lodge room on September 4, 1962 with Worshipful Robert E. Bean as Master. The members were solicited for funds to start construction in the rear of the main house. This new construction consisting of a large Lodge room and below it a banquet hall with a stage and large kitchen was finished in 1964. On Tuesday, October 20, 1964, the Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, Most Worshipful A. Neill Osgood, together with a distinguished suite of masons dedicated the Masonic Temple. (1964 Mass. 243-245) These new facilities are now shared by Paul Revere Lodge, Baalis Sanford Lodge, and several of the other collateral Masonic Bodies as well as the Eastern Star and the Rainbow Girls.
On Tuesday, January 5, 1965, along with our regular business meeting, we celebrated Golden Jubilee Night honoring George W. Smith for serving 50 years as Secretary of Paul Revere Lodge. We were honored again by the presence of Most Worshipful A. Neill Osgood, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts and other notable masons who came with the Grand Master to pay tribute to our Secretary.
A special meeting was held in the large Lodge hall on Saturday, January 8, 1977, sponsored jointly by Paul Revere Lodge and Baalis Sanford Lodge.
The ceremony was conducted by Most Worshipful Stanley F. Maxwell, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts and other Grand Lodge Officers. The purpose of the ceremony was to burn the mortgage of the Masonic Temple. (1977 Mass. 7-9). Through the generous contributions of many of the Masons in the district, the Temple Association was able to retire the mortgage. Thus after 16'/2 years, the Temple now belonged to the Masons, with the Temple Association as the controlling body.
Although some Lodges in Massachusetts have had difficulty in finding new members, Paul Revere Lodge has been fortunate in having a fairly good number of men join. This has kept the officers proficient in their ritual and established good attendance at the meeting.
Several of our members have distinguished themselves in Masonry and have brought honors to Paul Revere Lodge. Right Worshipful David T. Carleton was District Deputy Grand Master for the Brockton 29th Masonic District, serving two years, 1973-74, in that capacity. Worshipful Joseph E. Arms was Junior Grand Deacon in 1957. He was also the presiding Master of Paul Revere Lodge for our 100th anniversary. Right Worshipful S. Forrest Kelliher became Junior Grand Warden of Masons in Massachusetts for the year 1977, and was the recipient of the Henry Price Medal. Right Worshipful David T. Carleton and Worshipful David D. North, Jr. each received the Joseph Warren Distinguished Service Medal.
On March 12, 1977, Paul Revere Lodge was again honored with a visit by Most Worshipful Stanley F. Maxwell, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, together with a large suite of Grand Lodge Officers. The occasion was a reception for Right Worshipful S. Forrest Kelliher on his election as Junior Grand Warden.
In 1972, Worshipful Theodore H. Wiede had the idea of forming a Colonial Degree Team for the purpose of promoting the role of Masonry in the approaching Bicentennial celebration of our country's founding. In the fall of 1974 initial permission was received from Most Worshipful Donald W. Vose to proceed with the formation of the degree team. The approval was confirmed by Most Worshipful Stanley F. Maxwell in early 1975. In November 1974, an initial meeting of interested Paul Revere Lodge Brethren was held and 23 active and enthusiastic "charter members" began researching, meeting and working out a myriad of details from the Masonic patriots of the Colonial era to be depicted, to flag design to be carried, to the details of the colonial costumes to be worn. Rehearsals and meetings continued in 1975 and the culmination of these hours of effort by Brother Ted and others took place on June 10, 1975 when Paul Revere Colonial Degree Team conferred the Master Mason Degree on three Paul Revere Lodge candidates. Most Worshipful Stanley F. Maxwell, Grand Master, and other dignitaries attended.
Worshipful "Ted" Wiede has been a most enthusiastic leader of the group. He said, "We organized the team to spread the spirit of fraternalism, fellowship, and brotherhood, emphasizing the role of masons in the founding of our country over 200 years ago, stressing the universality of Freemasonry and acknowledging our heritage as Massachusetts Masons. We have visited 20 Lodges since our inauguration. In the years since we organized, that averages out to 4 per year."
Many of our officers and members are active in organizations both within the fraternity and in the community. Right Worshipful David T. Carleton is a member of the Board of Masonic Relief. Worshipful Jerome H. Fletcher is chairman of our Blood Committee. He is assisted by Right Worshipful David T. Carleton and 10 of the brethren. Paul Revere Lodge has been cited for many years for the generosity of its members in donating blood to the Red Cross Blood Bank. There is a very active service committee in the Lodge under the direction of Arthur L. Cox and assisted by 10 brethren. This committee visits the elderly and sick, sends cards and flowers, and generally helps when needed. The V.A. Hospital Church Escort Service under the direction of Ervin S. Fratus is another active service performed by offices and Brethren of the Lodge. Once a month about 30 volunteers conduct patients to Chapel Service at the V.A. Hospital on Sunday.
Within the last few years a display case was constructed just outside the large Lodge hall for the purpose of displaying various Masonic items. Many of the members have contributed items of interest to be placed in the case for the enjoyment of our members and visitors. A new set of pictures of the Past Masters was obtained and hung above the display case in appropriate frames.
Our Officers and members have served in several of the collateral York Rite bodies. They have served as officers and members in Satucket Royal Arch Chapter, Brockton Council of Royal and Select Masters, and Bay State Commandery, No. 38 Knights Templars. Several of our members belong to other Lodges in the district and some have served as officers. In recent years, we have honored our Brethren who have been members of the fraternity for 25 years and 50 years. They have been given pins for 25 years and medals for 50 years. The ceremony usually has the assistance of the District Deputy Grand Master.
We remember the past and the individuals who made Paul Revere Lodge what it is today. We have tried to point out a few of the events of the past 25 years. We will continue to cherish the great service these individuals have rendered to the Craft as we carry on the high traditions they have left.
150TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 2006
From Proceedings, Page 2006-144:
When Wor. Lucien B. Keith ascended the steps to the East of Paul Revere Lodge, A. F. & A. M., on February 4, 1856, little did he realize that the small town then known as North Bridgewater would eventually become the city of Brockton, a city that would grow prosperously and be witness to so many events including World Wars, the introduction of electricity, miraculous strides in medicine, and trips to outer space. Many of the pioneers that helped to create this city in that era were Masons, most of which were members of Paul Revere Lodge. Acting on a dispensation from Most Wor. John T. Heard, Grand Master of Masons Of Massachusetts Paul Revere Lodge held its first meeting at Massasoit Hall in the Old Howard and Caldwell Building. Masonic tradition in the lodge states that two letters arrived in the Grand Master's office at the same time requesting the name of Paul Revere Lodge; our letter being the first one opened, we were granted that name. The other Lodge became known as Revere Lodge of Boston.
One of the charter members of Paul Revere Lodge was Bro. Thomas May, who had the distinction of being one of the stalwart Masons who risked everything by signing the Declaration of Principles during the anti-Masonic period in 1831. Eleven Master Masons formed Paul Revere Lodge in 1856, and with true sprit and dedication, just 50 years later was the third largest Lodge in Massachusetts.
Masonic interest in the area was steadily on the increase and in September 1857, the Lodge voted to approve, sanction and recommend the granting of a petition for a new Lodge in the neighboring town of Abington and John Cutler Lodge was formed. Just ten years later in March 1867, the Lodge took the necessary steps to recommend the formation of a new lodge in the town of North Easton. Nine members of Paul Revere Lodge demitted to become charter members of this new lodge known as Paul Dean Lodge. Unfortunately in September 2004, due to a decrease in the membership at Paul Dean Lodge, the steps were made for the merger of the Lodge back to its roots in Paul Revere Lodge.
In the next 50 years, because of the Masonic interest within the city, two other Lodges were formed. In February 1877, a petition was presented to form a lodge in the Campello section of the city. Twenty members demitted from Paul Revere Lodge and became charter members of St. George Lodge. In April 1917, again because of increased membership in the city, a dispensation was granted for the formation of Baalis Sanford Lodge, which was named after a Past Master of Paul Revere Lodge and a Past Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts. Nineteen members of Paul Revere Lodge were among the twenty-four charter members, dual memberships then being allowed.
In the 150-year history of Paul Revere Lodge, the Lodge has had four different locations for their quarters. From 1856-1881, their quarters were in the Kingman Block; from 1881-1900, they met in the area known at that time as City Block; from 1900-1962, they met on Centre St., across from where the W. B. Mason building is now located; from 1962 to this day, in these quarters on Prospect Street which was formerly known as the Hamilton Estate. The beautiful clock, which adorns the southwest wall in this lodge room, was the gift of the Kingman brothers of Brockton in 1895. The gears of the clock were all machine cut and the clock face bears Masonic emblems etched on them, as well as on the mahogany case. The interesting fact about this gift was that none of the three Kingman brothers were Masons.
In 1891, during the term of Rt. Wor. Herb Mitchell, the custom of formal dress was adopted and has continued to this day. From what we have learned, Paul Revere Lodge is the only Lodge in the jurisdiction which still wears tuxedo jackets with tails.
The Lodge membership at its highest point was 923 members in 1926, and at that time it was the seventh largest Lodge in the state. At the 50th anniversary in 1906, it was 504, at the 100th anniversary in 1956, it was 723, and today at our 150th anniversary, we presently stand at 366 members.
Although some Lodges in Massachusetts have struggled to find new members in the past twenty-five years, Paul Revere Lodge has been very fortunate to have men steadily join throughout these years, which has kept our officers proficient in the ritual and floorwork for the degrees. Since our 125th anniversary in 1981, Paul Revere Lodge has been able to have 237 new members sign our by-laws.
There have been a total of 75 brothers that have ascended to the East, to be known as Worshipful Master of Paul Revere Lodge, since its formation in 1856. Since our last celebration in 1981, at our 125th anniversary, there have been 11 brothers who have received that honor: Wor. Fred Perry, 1982-1983: Wor. Bruce K. Pratt, 1984-1985; Wor. Leon P. Bagdon, 1986-1987; Wor. William R. Washburn, 1988-1989; Wor. David J. Goodrich, 1990-1991; Wor. Andrew Klecha, 1992-1993; Wor. Richard O. Cusick, 1994-1995; Wor. Bruce K. Pratt, 1996; Wor. Byron B. Sanderson, 1997-1998; Wor. Frederic L. Milliken III, 1999-2000; Wor Douglas G. Massey, 2001-2002; Rt. Wor. Bruce K. Pratt, 2003-2006. All have served two years terms except for one, Rt. Wor. Bruce K. Pratt, who has served a total of seven years: 1984-1985, 1996, 2003-2006 so far.
In the past 25 years, there have been some members of this Lodge, who have served the Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts to distinguish themselves and bring honor to Paul Revere Lodge. Two have been appointed District Deputy Grand Master of the 29th Masonic District: Rt. Wor. Theodore H. Weide, who served in 1985-1986 and Rt. Wor. Bruce K. Pratt, who served in 1997-1998. Paul Revere Lodge also had the honor of having Rt. Wor. Bruce K. Pratt elected in the year 2000 to serve the Grand Lodge as the Senior Grand Warden and Wor. Raymond Allen joined him as his Grand Pursuivant.
Two other awards, which were presented to members of Paul Revere Lodge, were the Henry Price Medal, which is given to a Mason who has performed exemplary and outstanding work for the betterment of the Fraternity, and was presented to Rt. Wor. Bruce K. Pratt in February 2000. The other award is the Joseph Warren Medal, which is given to a Mason who has distinguished himself for his work in the Lodge and his community, and was presented to Wor. George Andrews in February 1990, Rt. Wor. Theodore Weide in June 1994, Wor Raymond Allen in May 1998, and Wor. Richard Cusick in February 1999.
In the past twenty-five years, some of our Past Masters and members have also labored in the York Rite Bodies, serving their local Chapter, Council and Commandery. High Priests of Satucket Chapter: Ex. Donald Kent, and Satucket-Pilgrim Chapter: Ex. Fred Perry, Ex. Thomas J. Burke Sr., Ex. Douglas G. Massey, and Ex. Michael K. Richards. Illustrious Masters of Brockton Council: Ill. Ralph S. Dodge and Ill. Bruce K. Pratt, and Brockton-Abington Council: Ill. Fred Perry and Ill. Thomas J. Burke Sr.,and Eminent Commanders of Bay State Commandery #38: S. K. Bruce K. Pratt, S.K. David J. Goodrich, S.K. Fred Perry and S. K. Thomas J. Burke Sr.
Some members who have also served as Grand Officers for the York Rite Bodies. Ill. Douglas A. Young was the District Deputy Master of Ceremonies of the Grand Council for the years 1999-2000, Rt. Ex. Thomas J. Burke is the presiding District Deputy Grand High Priest for the 6th Capitular District and also served as the Grand Master of the Second Veil in 2002. One other member of our lodge has truly distinguished himself in the York Rite Bodies, holding many Grand Offices in the past twelve years. He was the Right Eminent Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery of the Knights Templar and the Appendant Bodies of Massachusetts And Rhode Island in 1995, Grand King of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter in 2002, Conductor of the Council in 1999-2000 and Grand Principal Conductor of the Work in 2004 of the Grand Council of Royal and Select Master Masons, and is the presiding District Deputy Grand Captain of the Host of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter. That person is none other than Rt. Ex., V. I. and Rt. Em. Bruce K. Pratt. Rt. Wor. Bruce also had the distinct honor this past August of receiving the 33rd degree in the Scottish Rite of the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, along with the Most Wor. Grand Master, who was also in that class.
Paul Revere Lodge has had some programs that have continued to flourish throughout these past 25 years. First, is the Red Cross Blood Program, which is held six times per year in these quarters. Through the work of many volunteers this program has grown for these many years and it has continued to be one of the top Masonic Blood Drives in the state. Last September, after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, our blood drive was able to collect 165 pints of blood, which was a record for the Lodge. Many of our blood donors have been coming to our drives for many years and still enjoy the full breakfasts and the chance to see some old friends.
Second, Paul Revere Lodge along with the seven other Lodges in our district, for the last 36 years have been involved with Brockton VA Hospital and their Chapel Services Program. Once every eight weeks each Lodge takes a turn escorting patients from the wards down to the Protestant services at the Hospital Chapel. This is just a small token of our appreciation to the veterans who sacrificed for their country and all the freedoms we enjoy. We cannot talk about the Brockton VA Hospital and the Masonic escort program without mentioning the 35 years of dedication and service of Rt. Wor. David Carleton and his wife, Marge. This program would not have flourished the way it has without the tireless efforts of the Carleton's and others who are at the VA Chapel services every Sunday. Paul Revere Lodge has also found its own unique way of spreading fraternalism and brotherhood within the Craft. Beginning in 1972, then Wor. Ted Wiede had an idea to form a Colonial Degree Team for the purpose of promoting the role of Masons and of Masonry back in the early days of this country's existence. In the fall of 1974, initial permission was received from Most Wor. Donald W. Vose to form the degree team, and on June 10, 1975, the Paul Revere Colonial Degree Team raised its first candidates at Paul Revere Lodge with the twenty-four charter members of the team in attendance, and all of them wearing their colonial era attire. In attendance that evening to witness this historic event was the Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, Most Wor. Stanley Maxwell and other invited dignitaries. The goal and purpose of this Degree Team for all of its 31 years of existence has been to perform Masonic ritual and to demonstrate the Masonic ties to the history of the young American colonies and to spread the universality of Freemasonry by acknowledging our heritage as American Masons.
The Degree Team has traveled extensively and has performed Massachusetts Masonic ritual in many of the New England states. Through the efforts of Wor. Fred Milliken the Team was in invited in October of 2001 to Monroe Lodge #22, F. & A. M., in Bloomington, Indiana. Eighteen members of the team made this trip and were all treated with true Masonic fellowship and still talk about this trip to this day.
Another program, which Paul Revere Lodge became involved with in March 2002 and has watched flourish since, is the Masonic Angel Fund. The Masonic Angel Foundation was formed on Cape Cod in 1998 and now has 112 Lodges from twelve states enrolled in the program. This fund sees to it that needy children in the elementary schools are able to attend school with the proper clothing and shoes along with providing other necessities such as medications and eyeglasses. A school nurse or guidance counselor normally administers each case individually and determines what is needed. They then contact one of the Lodge representatives and the monies to purchase these items are provided. The Lodge and its members are never directly involved with the child or their parents. All of the monies for this program are funded through donations from the brethren by grants, gifts and voluntary donations. Paul Revere Lodge began this program with one school in Brockton and in 4 1/2 years has grown to include 12 schools in Brockton, Easton and West Bridgewater with about 4000 students.
In the spring of 2005, a request was made to Paul Revere Lodge from Kilwinning-Crosse Lodge # 2-237 in Bowling Green, Virginia to send representatives from our Lodge to attend their 250th anniversary celebration in September. The reason for this request was that they were planning to have a re-enactment of a very important event which had transpired at their Lodge during those terrible times of the Civil War.
In 1864, Bro. Emory Packard of Paul Revere Lodge was a member of the Union army and had learned that one of his fellow soldiers had broken into the Lodge building in Port Royal, Virginia, where the Lodge was originally located, and had stolen items from the building including some valuable officers jewels. Bro Packard, knowing the significance of these jewels, was finally able to persuade this other soldier to let him purchase the jewels from him and immediately sent them back to Paul Revere Lodge for safe-keeping until the end of the Civil War. In 1867, these officers' jewels were returned to Kilwinning-Crosse Lodge where they still remain to this very day. So, in September 2005, five brothers and two ladies from Paul Revere Lodge, Rt. Wor. Bruce Pratt and his wife, Claire, Wor. Bill Washburn and his wife Nancy, Bro. Jim Hardy, Bro Dave Maraglia and I, headed south to join them for their celebration. During the festivities of this 250th anniversary celebration; Rt. Wor Pratt, Wor. Washburn and Isymbolically returned these jewels back to their Master and Wardens. Rt. Wor. Bruce Pratt also presented the Lodge with a small gift from Paul Revere Lodge in remembrance of the visit - a Paul Revere Bowl. The history of that part of this country is so important to the early struggles of this nation and we all felt very lucky to have been able to be involved in some small way.
In closing, we are all now a part of the history of Paul Revere Lodge A. F. & A. M., and may we as Masons continue to spread fraternalism throughout this city known as Brockton and wheresoever we are dispersed over the face of this earth.
Wor. Douglas G. Massey, Senior Warden
Bro. Peter A. DelSette, Jr. Steward, Lodge Historian
- 1860 (Jurisdictional dispute, VI-303)
- 1862 (Committee report on town boundaries, VI-408)
- 1892 (Participation in Brockton cornerstone laying, 1892-43)
- 1904 (Participation in Brockton cornerstone laying, 1904-111)
- 1985 (Presentation in Grand Lodge, 1985-95)
PRESENTATION, JANUARY 1935
From New England Craftsman, Vol. XXX, No. 6, February 1935, Page 125:
Three veteran members of Paul Revere Lodge, A. F. and A. M., Brockton, Massachusetts, Horace A. Poole, A. Webster Butler and Charles C. Hurd, had 60-year medals pinned on their breasts, while David W. Battles, senior "past" in Paul Revere Lodge, Satucket Chapter, Brockton Council and Bay State Commandery was remembered with gifts from each of these bodies, together with a huge birthday cake with 81 candles at the veterans' night ceremonies at Paul Revere Lodge on the evening of January 22, in Corinthian Hall, Centre street. One other 50-year member. Mace Gay, was present at the dinner but was unable to stay. He will receive his medal later.
Among the guests present were: Roger Keith, W. M.. St. George Lodge, Campello; Donald Heath, W. M., Puritan Lodge, Whitman; George C. Richmond, W. M., Converse D. Killam, Master-elect, Herbert K. Kratt, P. M., Fellowship Lodge, Bridgewater; Charles F. Mann. P. M. and P. D. D., Warren S. Shaw, P. M. and P. D. D., Satucket Lodge, East Bridgewater; Douglas Huntoon, W. M., Orient Lodge, Norwood; Ernest Clark, P. M., John Cutler Lodge, Abington; David Perkins, P. M. and D. D., St. George Lodge, Campello; Brenette Hunt, P. M., Charles W. Megathlin. D. D. G. M., Fraternal Lodge. Hyannis; Harold W. Sprague, P. M., P. D. D.; William J. Jenkins, Worshipful Master, Baalis Sanford Lodge, Brockton; George A. Warren, P. M., St. George Lodge, Campello.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- David T. Carleton, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1973, 1974; Biography
- Paul S. Chase, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1989, 1990; N
- Willard Bryant Cookson, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1993, 1994; N
- Richard O. Cusick, DDGM, District 17, 2007, 2008
- Harold T. Dodge, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1987, 1988; Memorial
- Duncan W. Edes, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1935, 1936; N
- William H. Emerson, Deputy Grand Master 1904
- James M. Hardy, DDGM, District 17, 2013, 2014
- Raymond R. Harvey, Jr., DDGM, District 17, 2019
- John N. Howard, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1923, 1924; N
- Lucien B. Keith, DDGM, District 5, 1857-1858; Memorial
- S. Forrest Kelliher, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1963, 1964; Junior Grand Warden 1977; N
- Herbert I. Mitchell, DDGM, District 24 (Brockton), 1893, 1894; SN
- E. Francis Pope, DDGM, District 24 (Brockton), 1904, 1905; Memorial
- Bruce K. Pratt, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1997, 1998; Senior Grand Warden 2000
- Thomas S. Roy, DDGM, District 22 (Worcester), 1942; Deputy Grand Master 1943; Grand Master 1951-1953; N
- Baalis Sanford, DDGM, District 24 (Brockton), 1883, 1884; Senior Grand Warden 1887; Grand Master 1903-1905
- George A. Thatcher, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1917, 1918; N
- Theodore H. Wiede, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1985, 1986
- Harry H. Williams, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1947, 1948; N
- Arnold B. Jones, Memorial
- Wallace C. Keith, Memorial
- Franklin Norvish, Biography
- Seymour W. Priestley, Memorial
- Melvin Ritter, Biography