JohnCutler

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search

JOHN CUTLER LODGE

MA_JohnCutler.jpg

Location: Abington

Chartered By: Winslow Lewis

Charter Date: 09/12/1860 VI-321

Precedence Date: 11/22/1859

Current Status: Inactive; merged with Wampatuck Lodge to form Wampatuck Lodge with 1860 precedence, 05/19/2016; no merger ceremony


PAST MASTERS

  • Samuel B. Thaxter, 1859-1861; SN
  • Micah Nash, 1862, 1863
  • James F. Cox, 1864-1866
  • Hosea F. Whidden, 1867-1869
  • James E. Smith, 1870-1872
  • Samuel E. Ring, 1873-1875
  • Albert F. Kelly, 1876-1878
  • Joseph F. French, 1879-1881
  • Cornelius A. Faunce, 1882-1884
  • William Pierce, 1885-1887
  • Ernest W. Calkins, 1888-1890; SN
  • David V. Poole, 1891-1893
  • Charles B. Shaw, 1894, 1895
  • Charles S. Beal, 1896-1898
  • James M. Llewellyn, 1899-1901
  • Charles F. Dudley, 1902, 1903
  • Arthur T. Faunce, 1904, 1905
  • George W. S. Hyde, 1906, 1907
  • Olin D. Dickerman, 1908, 1909
  • Peter R. Curtis, 1910, 1911
  • Wesley C. Gilman, 1912, 1913
  • Frederic O. Baker, 1914, 1915
  • John A. Radcliff, 1916, 1917
  • Fred L. Blake, 1918, 1919
  • Clarence E. Rice, 1920, 1921; SN
  • Carrol A. Easton, 1922, 1923
  • Ernest W. Calkins, Jr., 1924
  • Lester A. Hall, 1925, 1926
  • William Tribou, 1927, 1928
  • George W. McGill, 1929, 1930
  • Albert W. Johnson, 1931, 1932
  • Ernest Clark, 1933, 1934; N
  • Donald D. Wyman, 1935, 1936
  • Wolstan E. Brown, 1937, 1938
  • Arthur L. Fish, 1939, 1940
  • Carl O. Bolinder, 1941, 1942
  • Royal A. Mabee, 1943, 1944
  • Norman T. Howe, 1945, 1946
  • Bruce F. Coburn, 1947, 1948
  • Ralph B. Starbard, 1949, 1950
  • Herbert I. Perry, 1951, 1952; N
  • Carl R. MacPherson, 1953, 1954
  • Clyde F. Poole, 1955, 1956
  • Lawrence S. Holbrook, 1957, 1958; N
  • Lawrence B. Shearer, 1959, 1960
  • Oliver H. Ramo, 1961, 1962
  • Donald L. Charlton, 1963, 1964
  • Charles H. Bonjokian, 1965, 1966
  • Kendall P. Kellaway, 1967
  • Joseph R. Steinberg, 1968, 1969
  • Carl J. R. Carlson, 1970, 1971
  • Alexander O. MacKay, 1972, 1973
  • Albert F. Fitzpatrick, 1974, 1975; N
  • Eaton G. Elz, 1976, 1977
  • Harry F. L. Winslow, 1978, 1979
  • C. Robert Bolinder, 1980
  • Paul S. Chase, 1981, 1982; N
  • Winthrop M. Cummings, 1983, 1984
  • Robert W. Morgan, 1985, 1986
  • Donald C. Gustafson, 1987, 1988
  • Roger A. Moore, 1989, 1990
  • Charles J. Flynn, 1991-1993
  • Donald E. Farish, 1994
  • Roland J. Turcotte, 1995-1998
  • Walter D. Thomas, 1999, 2000
  • Thomas R. Dennehy, 2001, 2002
  • E. Lawrence Doten, 2003, 2004
  • Thomas R. Dennehy, 2005
  • Stephen I. Vinal, Jr., 2006-2008
  • John C. Robbins, 2009, 2010
  • Thomas R. Dennehy, 2011, 2012
  • Aaron D. Sellers, 2013

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1859
  • Petition for Charter: 1860

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1909 (50th Anniversary)
  • 1934 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1959 (Centenary)
  • 1984 (125th Anniversary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1872 1876 1886 1887 1890 1891 1900 1908 1911 1914 1916 1917 1921 1923 1926 1931 1938 1946 1955 1957 1970 1976 1978 1979 1982 1985 1989 1993 1994 2010 2013

HISTORY

  • 1909 (50th Anniversary History, 1909-130)
  • 1934 (75th Anniversary History, 1934-169; see below)
  • 1959 (Centenary History, 1959-255; see below)
  • 1984 (125th Anniversary History, 1984-79; see below)

75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, NOVEMBER 1934

From Proceedings, Page 1934-169:

by Wor. Albert W. Johnson, P. M.

One evening some seventy-five years ago, a few Masons were returning from a meeting of the Old Colony Lodge at Hingham, to which some of them belonged. As they jogged over the country roads behind their horses they talked over the advantages of having a Lodge in their home town, Abington. The idea took form. In response to their petition the Most Worshipful Grand Master granted a Dispensation to John Cutler Lodge of Abington dated November 22, 1859, just seventy-five years ago today.

The Dispensation was directed to thirteen Masons naming Bro. Joseph Hutchinson as Worshipful Master. These Brethren were members of Old Colony and Fellowship Lodges, mostly, and by occupation were representative of the activities of the Town of Abington. Two were clergymen, two shoemakers, one a merchant, one a mechanic, one a note broker, one a physician, and one a farmer. This democratic and truly Masonic line-up that was inaugurated at the beginning has prevailed throughout the years and pertains today.

The first year was, naturally, a busy one. The adoption of By-Laws, procuring of equipment and quarters, receiving instructions from the Grand Lodge and preparing for degree work and working degrees is recorded.

Meetings were originally held on the Monday on or before the full of the moon. During the winter months the Lodge met at seven o'clock and during the summer at seven-thirty, an arrangement that may well be in part credited with our present daylight saving plan.

The delays and hazards of sea and the fact that some of the members were seafaring men is recognized in the provision for the extension of time for paying dues of "members absent at sea.

No mention is made of the place where the first meetings were held, but it is probable that these were at the home of Rev. Bro. Freeman P. Howland. In January, I860, it was voted to hire Faxon Hall for three years at an annual rental of $65. This hall was the second floor of a building that stood on the South-West corner of Brockton Avenue and Bedford Street, where now stands the Dickerman Homestead.

At the first visitation of the District Deputy Grand Master, R. W. Z. L. Bicknell, of East Wevmouth, there were present twelve members and two visitors. Not a large number compared with present figures, but a very creditable percentage of the membership.

At the first annual meeting held September 3, 1860, the following officers were elected:

  • Samuel B. Thaxter, Worshipful Master
  • Micah Nash, Senior Warden
  • Freeman P. Howland, Junior Warden
  • Ira Blanchard, Treasurer
  • Erastus M. Nash, Secretary

On the following day the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge was convened in the Lodge-rooms for the purpose of constituting the Lodge and installing the above named officers.

The selection of the name, John Cutler, is evidence of the high purpose of the Charter members. John Cutler was the first Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, elected in 1792. His election to this high office attested his outstanding character. He was a worker in metals, having early in life been apprenticed to learn the trade of a brass founder, a business he carried on in Boston. He lies buried in Trinity Church of which he was a member. At his funeral, Paul Revere was one of the bearers.

The Lodge was organized shortly after Masonry was emerging from the long and bitter persecution that began in 1826.

The year following its constitution the Civil War broke out. In April, 1861, it was voted to tender the use of the hall to the ladies who had organized to minister to the comfort of the soldiers, and the Tyler was directed to have the hall heated and in readiness for them. In this same month it is recorded that the Grand Secretary, C. W. Moore, wrote for a list of the members of the Lodge that were enrolled in the army and navy. The following July resolutions were adopted approving the action of the members who had enlisted in the defence of their country.

In 1862 the Lodge participated in the parade and the exercises commemorating the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Town of Abington.

In 1863 the Lodge was honored by the appointment of its first Master as District Deputy Grand Master, R.W. Bro. Samuel B. Thaxter.

In that year the membership evidently had grown to such an extent that Faxon Hall was inadequate, for it was voted to secure Hatherly Hall and remove thereto. This was the third church building of the First Parish, and is the same building that the Lodge now occupies. It is interesting to note that some of the original materials used in the construction of the first structure were used in the second and again in the third building. There are oak timbers in our present building that are over two hundred years old.

This building was the scene of several important patriotic meetings during the Civil War. Company G of the 38th regiment was organized here, and Company E of the 4th regiment was recruited for its second term of service.

At the request of the First Universal Society of Abington the Lodge laid the corner-stone when their church was rebuilt in September, 1864. Present as guests on that occasion were the Orphan's Hope Lodge, of East Weymouth, and Paul Revere Lodge, of North Bridgewater, (now Brockton) and delegates from other Lodges.

On May 24, 1866, the Gate of the Temple Lodge, of South Boston, met in our Lodge-rooms for the purpose of conducting the funeral of one of their Brethren. Our Lodge combined with theirs in the service. In appreciation of this the Gate of the Temple Lodge presented John Cutler Lodge with a silver mounted set of gavel and truncheons which have been in active use ever since, a period of almost seventy years.

On January 19, 1869, a communication was received from the Grand Lodge requesting the recommendation of our Lodge concerning the granting of a Dispensation to the petitioners for permission to form a Lodge in South Abington (now Whitman) under the name Puritan. Favorable recommendation was unanimously voted. Furthermore, the new Lodge was tendered the use of our Lodge-rooms and regalia and was presented a set of jewels. At the annual meeting of August 8, 1870, 33 members of John Cutler Lodge applied for dimits to enable them to join Puritan Lodge. These were granted and the utmost harmony and goodwill prevailed.

John Cutler Lodge has frequently responded to calls for assistance outside the Lodge. Two interesting occasions were the Chicago Fire in 1872 and the San Francisco Earthquake.

Record of the first visit of the Grand Master to the Lodge appears on May 9, 1881, when M. W. Samuel C. Lawrence was present and addressed the Lodge on the subject of the financial need of the Grand Lodge. The record shows that the Lodge responded with a prompt subscription of the amount suggested.

In 1886 the Lodge in common with the other bodies purchased the building they had been occupying as tenants, our present quarters, and made extensive alterations, refurnishing completely. At the first meeting held in the remodelled rooms the Lodge was honored by the presence of M. W. Abraham H. Howland, Jr., Grand Master.

In 1887 it was voted to sell the interest of the Lodge in this building to the newly formed Abington Masonic Association, the present owners.

In May, 1888, the Grand Lodge requested the recommendation of the Lodge regarding the granting of a Dispensation to petitioners for the formation of a Lodge in Rockland. While adverse action was taken the petitioning Brethren accepted the situation in good part and harmony prevailed and has continued.

In company with Phoenix Lodge, of Hanover, our Lodge attended the anniversary exercises commemorating the Centennial of the dedication of the monument to M. W.Joseph Warren at Charlestown, June, 1895.

Shortly after this the Lodge was pleased to accept the courteous offer of the Odd Fellows to use their Lodge-rooms during the time our building was being restored, having been damaged by fire.

November 20, 1895, the Lodge was again honored by visit from the Grand Master. M. W. Edwin B. Holmes, Grand Master, a native son of Abington, made a fraternal visit. This was also the occasion of the first visitation of our own R.W. Ernest W. Calkins, District Deputy Grand Master, the second of our Past Masters to be honored with this office.

It was not until May, 1908, some thirteen years later, that John Cutler Lodge was again host to the Grand Master. At that time M. W. John Albert Blake, Grand Master, responded to our invitation to make a fraternal visit.

The Fiftieth Anniversary was observed on November 21 and 22, 1909. The first date a service was held at the First Congregational Church, Abington with the Puritan Lodge as guests. One hundred and fifty Masons were present and, with their ladies, filled the church. On the 22nd the Lodge met at the Abington Savings Bank Building with Worshipful Master Olin D. Dickerman presiding. M. W. Dana J. Flanders, Grand Master, and suite were received, the receiving committee being made up of every living Past Master of the Lodge. Bro. Ira Blanchard, the first Treasurer and the oldest living Charter member was also present. Members and guests numbered nearly three hundred. After exchange of greetings by the Worshipful Master and the Grand Master the Charter was read by Bro. Alfred H. Nash. Vocal and instrumental music was furnished by Bro. Fred S. Sprague and Mace Gay's Orchestra followed by an address on "Tradition and Historv" by W. Bro. Clarence A. Brodeur. Wor. Bro. David V. Poole read the history of the Lodge. The present historian found this history most complete and has availed himself of information given therein.

One of the most enjoyable events in our history took place on October 30, 1911. It was the regular visitation of D. D. G. M. R. W. Edward B. Maglathlin. Worshipful Master Peter R. Curtis raised his grandson, Arthur R. Brewster. The attendance of 248 exceeded the capacity of the Lodge-room. Those who were fortunate enough to hear and see the Master's work were given a treat that is freshened in our memories by frequent retelling. Wor. Bro. Curtis had the unusual experience of serving as Junior Warden in 1873-4 and, refusing further election at the expiration of his term, of being again elected to that office thirty-two years later. He brought to the office of Master the rich experience of a long and useful life.

During the two hundredth anniversary of the old Town of Abington, which included Rockland and Whitman, observed in June, 1912, the Lodge building was decorated and the Lodge kept "open house."

John Cutler Lodge was again honored by the Grand Lodge in 1913 in the appointment of one of its past masters as District Deputy Grand Master, Wor. Bro. Olin D. Dickerman. On his first visitation to his home Lodge the rooms were taxed to capacity by our members and visitors. John Cutler Lodge is exceedingly proud of the many distinguished honors which this our Brother received. The mere listing of the positions to which he was elected and appointed would require pages. His life was rich in the exemplification of the tenets of his profession both within and without the Lodge.

On February 7, 1916, Worshipful Master John A. Radcliffe initiated changes in our financial policy the wisdom of which has repeatedly been demonstrated during the succeeding years. The carrying out of this policy has placed our Lodge in position to readily meet emergencies as thev arose and also to build a satisfactory reserve.

During the World War we find several entries in our records reflecting the activities of our members therein. On one occasion, February 4, 1918, we find that owing to war conditions and consequent lack of fuel and restrictions on the use thereof the meeting was held in the courtroom and all work postponed.

On June 26, 1918, a memorable Past Masters Night was observed with Wor. Bro. Samuel E. Ring in the East and all Past Masters but one present and taking part. M. W. Leon M. Abbott, Grand Master, made a fraternal visit accompanied by R. W. Myron L. Keith, Deputy Grand Master. The Grand Master presented six of our Brethren with the Henry Price Medal.

On May 6, 1918, Wor. Bro. George W. S. Hyde presented the Lodge with a set of beautiful Altar Jewels. Wor. Bro. Hyde ranks among those who have served John Cutler Lodge long and faithfully. After his years of service in the line he has served as Marshal for twenty-four years and could always be depended upon to be in his station and ready to do his part. In 1920, with Wor. Bro. Clarence E. Rice, Master, the average attendance reached its high peak, fifty-five.

February 6, 1922, Worshipful Master Carroll A. Easton presented in behalf of the Lodge a Junior Grand Warden's jewel to R.W. Bro. Olin D. Dickerman.

On September 28, 1922, a special communication was held to observe the fiftieth anniversary of the election of Wor. Bro. Samuel E. Ring as Master of John Cutler Lodge. M. W. Dudley Hays Ferrell, Grand Master, and suite attended and addressed the Lodge. In his remarks he stated that there was only one other case on record where such an unusual anniversary had occurred. Our Brother was spared to us for eight more years during which we continued to enjoy his rare personality and his remarkable rendition of ritual.

On February 22, 1924, Bro. Geo. H. Williamson who had served the Lodge as Senior Deacon forty years earlier, assumed that station and performed the work in correct and able form.

On January 3, 1927, the pleasing announcement was received from the Grand Lodge that Wor. Bro. Clarence E. Rice had been appointed District Deputy Grand Master, the fourth of the past masters of John Cutler Lodge to be thus honored. It is interesting to note that two of the suite who accompanied him on his visitation in November, 1928, R. W. Harold W. Sprague and R. W. Herbert K. Pratt were later appointed to the office of District Deputy.

On April 13, 1932, John Cutler Lodge observed the Bi-Centennial of George Washington in an impressive manner at the Congregational Church in Rockland. The address was given by M. W. Bro. Dudley Hays Ferrell and hymns and anthems of Washington's day were rendered by the audience and a chorus of twenty-two male voices, members of our own and neighboring Lodges. The church was filled with members and guests which included ladies.

Rev. Bro. L .Weston Atwood, our beloved Chaplain for fifteen years, was called to the Lodge Above in April, 1932. No one can measure the far-reaching influence his quiet, modest life had upon all with whom he came in contact. His very presence in the Lodge-room was an inspiration.

An outstanding record, which, as far as we know, is unchallenged is that of the terms of office of our Secretaries, Brothers Erastus M. Nash and Alfred H. Nash. The Lodge in its seventy-five years has had no other Secretary than these two, father and son. Bro. Erastus M. Nash was elected Secretary when the Lodge was organized in 1859 and he was annually re-elected to that office until his death in 1896, a continuous service of thirty-six years. On the occasion of our fiftieth anniversary, our historian wrote that he was succeeded by the efficient young man, Bro. Alfred H. Nash, who he hoped would continue to serve with equal length of service. This hope has been more than realized for our present Secretary is the same efficient, and still young man notwithstanding his thirty-nine years of continuous service. In recognition of his thirtieth anniversary in that office Wor. Bro. Charles F. Dudley, in behalf of the Lodge, presented Bro. Alfred H. Nash with a Secretary's jewel. It is a pleasure to read the carefully written records of these two Secretaries. The Masters of John Cutler Lodge have had frequent occasion to lean upon their knowledge and judgment.

One other name must be mentioned as an example of long and faithful service, that of Bro. George Augustus Beal, Treasurer from 1870 to 1909, a period of thirty-nine years.

()n March 4, 1930, on invitation of Worshipful Master George W. T. McGill, R. W. David Perkins, D. D. G. M., visited John Cutler Lodge and presented the Grand Lodge Veteran's Medals to Brothers J. Ellsworth Dunham and George H. Williamson, Masons for over fifty years. He later called personally upon Brothers Charles A. Townsend, Charles W. Howland, and Wor. Bro. Samuel E. Ring who were physically unable to be present, and pinned on them the medals, a service greatly appreciated both by these Brothers and the Lodge. The timeliness of the presentation was evidenced by the passing away of each of these Brethren within a few months of the receiving of this recognition.

John Cutler Lodge has actively participated in the Forty-first Lodge of Instruction, by representative attendance, acting as host, and furnishing a Senior Warden in Wor. Bro. Geo. W. McGill and a lecturer in Wor. Bro. Ernest W. Calkins, Jr.

An honor roll of John Cutler Lodge would include a large number of its members who have distinguished themselves in and out of the Lodge. The limits of time do not permit of reading their deeds into our present account. Their works are in part on record in our files. Then, too, we register here our recognition of that greater number of our Brethren who, unsung, are living or have completed years of living out the tenets of our Institution in their daily contact with their fellows.

My brethren of John Cutler Lodge, we have turned the last page of our seventy-five years of history. We are filled with pride and gratitude to those whose good work has made our Lodge what it is. We are turning over a new page in our Lodge records. As we write therein and on that other book where none can see save He who knows all, may we be filled with the same high purpose as those who have gone before and whom we tonight honor.

CENTENARY HISTORY, NOVEMBER 1959

From Proceedings, Page 1959-257:

By Wor. Albert W. Johnson.

One evening, a century ago, a few Masons were returning from a meeting of the Old Colony Lodge at Hingham, to which some of them belonged. As they jogged over the country roads behind their horses, they talked over the advantages of having a Lodge in their home town, Abington. The idea took form. In response to their petition, the Most Worshipful Grand Master granted a dispensation to John Cutler Lodge of Abington, dated November 22, 1859, just one hundred years ago today.

The dispensation was directed to thirteen Masons naming Bro. Joseph Hutchinson as Worshipful Master. These Brethren were members of Old Colony and Fellowship Lodges, mostly, and by occupation were representative of the activities of the Town of Abington. Two were clergymen, two shoemakers, one a merchant, one a mechanic, one a note broker, one a physician, and one a farmer. This democratic and truly Masonic line-up that was inaugurated at the beginning has prevailed throughout the years and pertains today.

The first year was, naturally, a busy one. The adoption of By-Laws, procuring of equipment and quarters, receiving instructions from the Grand Lodge and preparing for degree work and working degrees is recorded.

Meetings were originally held on the Monday on or before the full of the moon, so that the Brethren could travel by moonlight. During the winter months the Lodge met at seven o'clock and during the summer at seven-thirty.

The delays and hazards of sea and the fact that some of the members were seafaring men is recognized in the provision for the extension of time for paying dues of "members absent at sea."

No mention is made of the place where the first meetings were held, but it is probable that these were at the home of Rev. Bro. Freeman P. Howland. In January 1860, it was voted to hire Faxon Hall for three years at an annual rental of $65. This hall was on the second floor of a building that stood on the southwest corner of Brockton Avenue and Bedford Street, where now stands the Dickerman Homestead.

At the first visitation of the District Deputy Grand Master, R. W. Z. L. Bicknell, of East Weymouth, there were present twelve members and two visitors — not a large number compared with present figures, but a very creditable percentage of the membership.

At the first annual meeting, held September 3, 1860, the following officers were elected:

  • Samuel B. Thaxter, Master
  • Micah Nash, Senior Warden
  • Freeman P. Howland, Junior Warden
  • Ira Blanchard, Treasurer
  • Erastus M. Nash, Secretary

On the following day the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge was convened in the lodge-rooms for the purpose of constituting the Lodge and installing the above-named officers.

The selection of the name John Cutler is evidence of the high purpose of the Charter Members. John Cutler was the first Grand Master of the united Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, elected in 1792. His election to this high office attested his outstanding character. He was a worker in metals, having early in life been apprenticed to learn the trade of a brass founder, a business he carried on in Boston. He lies buried in Trinity Church, of which he was a member. At his funeral, Paul Revere was one of the bearers.

The Lodge was organized shortly after Masonry was emerging from the long and bitter persecution that began in 1826.

The year following its constitution the Civil War broke out. In April 1861, it was voted to tender the use of the hall to the ladies who had organized to minister to the comfort of the soldiers, and the Tyler was directed to have the hall heated and in readiness for them. In this same month it is recorded that the Grand Secretary,

Charles W. Moore, wrote for a list of the members of the Lodge that were enrolled in the army and navy. The following July resolutions were adopted approving the action of the members who had enlisted in the defense of their country.

In 1862 the Lodge participated in the parade and the exercises commemorating the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Town of Abington.

In 1863 the Lodge was honored by the appointment of its first Master as District Deputy Grand Master, R. W. Samuel B. Thaxter. In that year the membership evidently had grown to such an extent that Faxon Hall was inadequate, for it was voted to secure Hatherly Hall and remove thereto. This was the third church building of the First Parish and is the same building that the Lodge now occupies. It is interesting to note that some of the original materials used in the construction of the first structure were used in the second and again in the third building. There are oak timbers in our present building that are over two hundred years old.

This building was the scene of several important patriotic meetings during the Civil War. Company G of the 38th regiment was organized here, and Company E of the 4th regiment was recruited for its second term of service.

At the request of the First Universalis! Society of Abington, the Lodge laid the corner-stone when their church was rebuilt in September 1864. Present as guests on that occasion were the Orphan's Hope Lodge of East Weymouth and Paul Revere Lodge of North Bridgewater (now Brockton), and delegates from other Lodges.

On May 24, 1866, the Gate of the Temple Lodge of South Boston met in our lodge-rooms for the purpose of conducting the funeral of one of their Brethren. Our Lodge combined with theirs in the service. In appreciation of this, Gate of the Temple Lodge presented John Cutler Lodge with a silver mounted set of gavel and truncheons, which have been in active use ever since, a period of over ninety years.

In 1868 the Lodge, jointly with Pilgrim Chapter and Old Colony Commandery, bought Hatherly Hall, our present building.

On January 19, 1869, a communication was received from the Grand Lodge requesting the recommendation of the Lodge concerning the granting of a dispensation to the petitioners for permission to form a Lodge in South Abington (now Whitman) under the name of Puritan. Favorable recommendation was unanimously voted. Furthermore, the new Lodge was tendered the use of our lodge-rooms and regalia, and was presented a set of jewels. At the annual meeting of August 8, 1870, thirty-three members of John Cutler Lodge applied for demits to enable them to join Puritan Lodge. These were granted and the utmost harmony and goodwill prevailed.

John Cutler Lodge has frequently responded to calls for assistance outside the Lodge. Two interesting occasions were the Chicago Fire in 1872 and the San Francisco Earthquake.

Record of the first visit of the Grand Master to the Lodge appears on May 9, 1881, when M. W. Samuel C. Lawrence was present and addressed the Lodge on the subject of the financial need of the Grand Lodge. The record shows that the Lodge responded with a prompt subscription of the amount suggested.

In 1886 the interior of our building was completely remodeled. The Grand Master, M. W. Abraham H. Howland, Jr., was the honored guest at the first meeting held in the new lodge-rooms.

In 1887 it was voted to sell the interest of the Lodge in this building to the newly-formed Abington Masonic Association, the present owner, of which the Lodge is a principal stockholder.

In May 1888, the Grand Lodge requested the recommendation of the Lodge regarding the granting of a dispensation to petitioners for the formation of a Lodge in Rockland. While adverse action was taken, the petitioning Brethren accepted the situation in good part and harmony prevailed and has continued.

In company with Phoenix Lodge of Hanover, our Lodge attended the anniversary exercises commemorating the Centennial of the dedication of the monument to M. W. Joseph Warren at Charlestown June 1895.

Shortly after this the Lodge was pleased to accept the courteous offer of the Odd Fellows to use their lodge-rooms during the time our building was being restored, having been damaged by fire.

November 20, 1895, the Lodge was again honored by a visit from the Grand Master, M. W. Edwin B. Holmes, a native son of Abington, who made a fraternal visit. This was also the occasion of the first visitation of our own R. W. Ernest W. Calkins, District Deputy Grand Master, the second of our Past Masters to be honored with this office.

It was not until May 1908, some thirteen years later, that John Cutler Lodge was again host to the Grand Master. At that time M. W. John Albert Blake, Grand Master, responded to our invitation to make a fraternal visit.

The fiftieth anniversary was observed on November 21 and 22, 1909. On the first date a service was held at the First Congregational Church, Abington, with Puritan Lodge as guests. One hundred and fifty Masons were present and, with their ladies, filled the church. On the 22nd, the Lodge met at the Abington Savings Hank Building with Worshipful Master Olin D. Dickerman presiding. M. W. Dana J. Flanders, Grand Master, and suite were received, the receiving committee being made up of every living Past Master of the Lodge. Bro. Ira Blanchard, the first Treasurer and the oldest living Charter Member, was also present. Members and guests numbered nearly three hundred. After exchange of greetings by the Worshipful Master and the Grand Master, the Charter was read by Bro. Alfred H. Nash. Vocal and instrumental music was furnished by Bro. Fred S. Sprague and Mace Gay's Orchestra, followed by an address on Tradition and History by Wor. Clarence A. Brodeur. Wor. David V. Poole read the history of the Lodge. The present historian found tin's history most complete and has availed himself of information given therein. One of the most enjoyable events in our history took place on October 30, 1911. It was the regular visitation of District Deputy Grand Master Edward B. Maglathlin. Worshipful Master Peter R. Curtis raised his grandson, Arthur R. Brewster. The attendance of 248 exceeded the capacity of the lodge-room. Those who were fortunate enough to hear and see the Master's work were given a treat that is freshened in our memories by frequent retelling. Wor. Bro. Curtis had the unusual experience of serving as Junior Warden in 1873-4 and, refusing further election at the expiration of his term, of being again elected to that office thirty-two years later. He brought to the office of Master the rich experience of a long and useful life.

During the two hundredth anniversary of the old Town of Abington, which included Rockland and Whitman, observed in June 1912, the Lodge building was decorated and the Lodge kept "open house."

John Cutler Lodge was again honored by the Grand Lodge in 1913 in the appointment of one of its Past Masters as District Deputy Grand Master, Wor. Olin D. Dickerman. On his first visitation to his home Lodge the rooms were taxed to capacity by our members and visitors. John Cutler Lodge is exceedingly proud of the many distinguished honors which this Brother received. The mere listing of the positions to which he was elected and appointed would require pages. His life was rich in the exemplification of the tenets of his profession both within and without the Lodge.

On February 7, 1916, Worshipful Master John A. Radcliffe initiated changes in our financial policy, the wisdom of which has repeatedly been demonstrated during the succeeding years. The carrying out of this policy has placed our Lodge in position to readily meet emergencies as they arise and also to build a satisfactory reserve.

During World War I we find several entries in our records reflecting the activities of our members therein. On one occasion, February 4, 1918, we find that owing to war conditions and consequent lack of fuel and restrictions on the use thereof, the meeting was held in the courtroom and all work postponed.

On June 26, 1918, a memorable Past Masters' Night was observed with Wor. Samuel E. Ring in the East and all Past Masters but one present and talcing part. M. W. Leon M. Abbott, Grand Master, made a fraternal visit accompanied by R. W. Myron L. Keith, Deputy Grand Master. The Grand Master presented six of our Brethren with the Henry Price Medal.

On May 6, 1918, Wor. George W. S. Hyde presented the Lodge with a set of beautiful Altar jewels, which are still in use at every meeting. Wor. Bro. Hyde ranks among those who have served John Cutler Lodge long and faithfully. After his years of service in the line, he served as Marshal for thirty-nine years and could always be depended upon to be in his station and ready to do his part.

February 6, 1922, Wor. Master Carroll A. Easton presented in behalf of the Lodge a Junior Grand Warden's jewel to R. W. Olin D. Dickerman, the first of our Past Masters to become an officer of the Grand Lodge.

On September 28, 1922, a special communication was held to observe the fiftieth anniversary of the election of Wor. Samuel E. Ring as Master of John Cutler Lodge. M. W. Dudley Hays Ferrell, Grand Master, and suite attended and addressed the Lodge. In his remarks, he stated that there was only one other case on record where such an unusual anniversary had occurred. Our Brother was spared to us for eight more years, during which we continued to enjoy his rare personality and his remarkable rendition of ritual.

On February 22, 1924, Bro. George H. Williamson, who had served the Lodge as Senior Deacon forty years earlier, assumed that station and performed the work in correct and able form.

On January 3, 1927, the pleasing announcement was received from the Grand Lodge that Wor. Clarence E. Rice had been appointed District Deputy Grand Master, the fourth of the Past Masters of John Cutler Lodge to be thus honored.

On April 13, 1932, John Cutler Lodge observed the Bicentennial of George Washington's birth in an impressive manner at the Congregational Church in Rockland. The address was given by M. W. Dudley Hays Ferrell, and hymns and anthems of Washington's day were rendered by the audience and a chorus of twenty-two male voices, members of our own and neighboring Lodges. The church was filled with members and guests, which included ladies.

Rev. Bro. L. Weston Attwood, our beloved Chaplain for fifteen years, was called to the Lodge above in April 1932. No one can measure the far-reaching influence his quiet, modest life had upon all with whom he came in contact. His very presence in the lodge-room was an inspiration. During the next seventeen years, Rev. Bro. C. Stanley Knott served as our Chaplain, bringing to that high office the training and experience of a dedicated minister. Who can measure the far-reaching influence of such a Chaplain? We are now being served in this office by Rev. Bro. Merrill C. Ward, our beloved Chaplain for eleven years, and we hope for many more to come.

An outstanding record which, as far as we know, is unchallenged is that of the terms of office of our Secretaries, Brothers Erastus M. Nash and Alfred H. Nash. The Lodge in its first eighty years had no other Secretary than these two, father and son. Bro. Erastus M. Nash was elected Secretary when the Lodge was organized in 1859, and he was annually re-elected to that office until his death in 1896, a continuous service of thirty-six years. On the occasion of our fiftieth anniversary, our historian wrote that he was succeeded by the efficient young man, Bro. Alfred H. Nash, who he hoped would continue to serve with equal length of service. This hope was more than realized, for Alfred Nash served the Lodge forty years in that office. In recognition of his thirtieth anniversary as Secretary, Wor. Charles F. Dudley, in behalf of the Lodge, presented Bro. Alfred H. Nash with a Secretary's jewel. It is a pleasure to read the carefully written records of these two Secretaries. The Masters of John Cutler Lodge have had frequent occasion to lean upon their knowledge and judgment.

One other name must be mentioned as an example of long and faithful service, that of Bro. George Augustus Beal, Treasurer from 1870 to 1909, a period of thirty-nine years.

In 1929 the Grand Lodge initiated the recognition of fifty years of Masonic service with a Grand Lodge Veteran's Medal.

On March 4, 1930, on invitation of Worshipful Master George W. McGill, R. W. David Perkins, D. D. G. M., visited John Cutler Lodge and presented the Grand Lodge Veterans' Medals to Brothers J. Ellsworth Dunham and George H. Williamson, Masons for over fifty years. He later called personally upon Brothers Charles A. Townsend, Charles W. Rowland, and Wor. Samuel E. Ring, who were physically unable to be present, and pinned on them the Medals, a service greatly appreciated both by these Brothers and the Lodge. The timeliness of the presentation was evidenced by the passing away of each of these Brethren within a few months of the receiving of this recognition. Fourteen of our Brethren subsequently became eligible to receive this Medal: Frank B. Clark, Winslow L. Jenkins, George W. Orcutt, George W. S. Hyde, Frederic O. Baker, Lawrence M. Reynolds, Albert S. Peterson, Giles W. Howland, Peleg B. Cook, Albert W. Johnson, Ralph W. Jennings, Samuel T. Bates, Horace E. Marshall and Arthur N. Calkins.

John Cutler Lodge has actively participated in the Forty-first Lodge of Instruction by outstanding attendance of officers and members and acting as host. R. W. Ernest Clark and Wor. Ralph B. Starbard have served as Secretary, and Wor. Albert W. Johnson and Wor. Ralph B. Starbard as Master. Wor. Carl R. MacPherson is its present Senior Warden.

In 1934, under Wor. Master Ernest Clark, the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Lodge was observed, beginning with a service of worship on Sunday, November 22nd. This was conducted in the First Congregational Church of Abington by Rev. Bro. C. Stanley Knott, Lodge Chaplain and Pastor of the church. The sermon was delivered by Rev. Bro. Carlton Easton, and the music by a male chorus of twenty members of John Cutler and neighboring Lodges. This chorus was trained and directed by Mrs. Arthur L. Fish, who also was organist for the occasion.

On the following Thursday evening, the Lodge held a special communication to formally receive our honored guest, the Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, M. W. Curtis Chipman. He was accompanied by his wife and a distinguished suite with their wives, which included our own R. W. Herbert K. Pratt, D. D. G. M., present and past District Deputies from other districts, and presiding Masters and Past Masters of the district. The suite with their wives numbered in all forty-six. A recess was declared for dinner, which was spread in Franklin Hall with over four hundred members and guests.

After dinner, the tables were removed and the Master of Ceremonies, Worshipful Master Ernest Clark, called for a reading of the history of the Lodge by the present historian. Then followed an address by the Grand Master, who in a delightful manner presented our Senior Past Master, Wor. Charles Sumner Beal, with a Veteran's Medal in recognition of fifty years of faithful service to Masonry. Wor. Bro. Beal responded with few words, but was evidently deeply moved. He was the oldest member of the Lodge. Then followed an entertainment by the Weber Male Quartet and Brockton Civic Orchestra, and dancing concluded an enjoyable and memorable evening.

During the depression years of the thirties there were few candidates, but as the boys returned from war service, there was a marked increase in applications and the officers were kept busy with initiations requiring quite regularly two special communications each month.

A tremendous increase in home building in our area and the resulting rapid growth in population has brought to our two towns many men of Masonic caliber. Our average raising during the past ten years has more than doubled. During the two terms of Wor. Clyde F. Poole, 1955-1956, the Lodge raised fifty-eight candidates, a busy time for the officers. The Past Masters of the lean depression years were happy to be given the opportunity to participate. To date our By-Laws have been signed by 1,011 members. Our present membership is at an all-time high of 440. John Cutler Lodge is truly a dynamic Lodge.

In 1936 our Wor. Ernest Clark was appointed District Deputy Grand Master, the fifth of our Past Masters to be thus signally honored. In 1943, Worshipful Master Royal A. Mabee conducted a most enjoyable observance marking the 1000th communication of the Lodge. This was held in the Junior High School auditorium with entertainment, orchestra and dancing and was well attended by the members and guests.

Wor. Royal A. Mabee is the second of the two of our Past Masters to become a Grand Lodge Officer, being appointed Junior Grand Steward in 1944. In 1944, we were saddened by the untimely passing of our Senior Past Master, Wor. Charles S. Beal, after sixty years of service to his Lodge. His life was an outstanding example of true Masonry-He had a large part in the shoe manufacturing industry of this district, specializing in tanning of leather. He found time to be active in affairs of state, as a member of the General Court and later as State Senator. He also served as County Commissioner for fourteen years. He was not satisfied with giving to his country and to the Lodge so freely of his time and talent, but arranged to continue this service by leaving all he had to Masonry after providing for the security of his sole surviving heir, his younger brother.

The Lodge is at this time considering plans whereby a substantial portion of his legacy will be used to enlarge the lodge-room and improve the facilities, from which improvement the present and succeeding generations should derive enjoyment and we hope increased opportunity for Masonic service. A memorial service was held for him on June 7, 1956, at which time our organ, bought in his memory, was dedicated under the leadership of Worshipful Master Clyde F. Poole.

John Cutler Lodge began in 1954 an active participation in the Masonic Blood Hank program, in cooperation with the Red Cross. During 1954 and up to date, the Lodge has been credited with supplying 223 pints. This began in the second term of Wor. Carl R. MacPherson, who continued his leadership in this important work as chairman. He was ablv assisted by the Brethren, who contributed blood, particularly Bro. Charles D. Ward, Bro. Kenneth H. Johnson, Wor. Lawrence S. Holbrook and our Worshipful Master, Lawrence B. Shearer, each of whom has contributed a gallon or more of his blood for Masonic credit.

John Cutler Lodge responded to the initiative of the Grand Lodge to sponsor a Chapter of DeMolay. Under the leadership of Wor. Norman T. Howe as Chairman of the Advisory Board and Advisor Robert B. Swift, the Manamooskeagin Chapter of Order of DeMolay was instituted December 8, 1956, and after a most successful year, was constituted November 6, 1958. On the present Board of Advisors are Brothers J. Foster Merritt, James E. Steinberg, George E. Stephens, Everett Tisdale, Frederic J. Blum, Jr., Eaton G. Elz, Frank S. Libby, Oliver H. Ramo, Charles G. Taylor and Robert B. Swift, Advisor, Lawrence G. Hunter, Associate Advisor, and Frederick A. Hatch, Athletic Advisor. The Chapter has a present membership of 117. In 1958, John Cutler Lodge and Wor. Herbert I. Perry were honored by his appointment as our sixth District Deputy Grand Master.

This account of our first hundred years does not and cannot even mention the names of the hundreds of our Brothers who have signed our By-Laws and who have lived out the tenets of our profession faithfully, but too often unrecognized, except by that All-Seeing Eye which pervades the inmost recesses of the human heart, and will reward us according to our merits. We salute them wherever they may be.

My Brethren of John Cutler Lodge, we are turning over the last page of our first hundred years and are about to begin another century of Masonic service. We look back with pride and gratitude to those who have made our Lodge the virile institution that it is. We pray that we may be filled with the same high purpose as were those who have gone before and whom we now honor.

125TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, SEPTEMBER 1984

From Proceedings, Page 1984-79:

HISTORY OF JOHN CUTLER LODGE 1959-1984
By Worshipful Carl R. MacPherson

(For a comprehensive history of John Cutler Lodge covering the earlier periods, please refer to 1959 Mass. 255-266)

Our 100th Anniversary came in November 1959, the dates of the 20th, the 21st and the 22nd during the term of Worshipful Lawrence B. Shearer, who with Worshipful Carl R. MacPherson served as Co-Chairmen. Friday evening, the 20th was the date of the Anniversary Banquet followed by a Musical Program and dancing. This was held in the Abington Junior High School. It was well attended and we had many noted members of the Craft present. Worshipful Albert W. Johnson gave the history of the Lodge composed of eight pages. It was well delivered and contained most of the material you have heard this evening. Saturday evening was devoted to a reception to our then Grand Master, Most Worshipful Andrew G. Jenkins, with a program of speaking and again the reciting of the history (1959 Mass. 253-266). On the next day, Sunday the 22nd, a Special Communication of the Lodge was held in the Fist Congregational Church of Rockland with a service offered by six clergymen taking part, namely Reverend Thomas H. Campbell, Reverend James R. Woodell, Reverend Duane A. Windemiller, Reverend Herbert A. Stevens, all of whom were Associate Chaplains, Reverend Merrill C. Ward, our own Chaplain, and one of the most famous of all Masons of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, the Reverend Thomas S. Roy, Past Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, a personal friend of your writer, who gave the sermon.

Thus ended the first one hundred years of John Cutler Lodge, starting with Right Worshipful Samuel B. Thaxter as Master in 1859 and ending with Worshipful Lawrence B. Shearer as Master in 1959. Forty-five Masters presided over your Lodge during that period, of whom only four are now alive: Wor. Carl R. MacPherson, Wor. Clyde F. Poole, R.W. Lawrence S. Holbrook, our seventh District Deputy Grand Master, and Wor. Lawrence B. Shearer.

The remainder of this history will attempt to inform you of what has taken place since 1959, or the past twenty-five years of your Lodge. It will include a summary which will list as many of the Masonic accomplishments our members have had during that time. No doubt some will be missed and apologies are due to those who find their names omitted.

Wor. Lawrence B. Shearer holds a distinct honor. He is the last of 45 men to serve as Worshipful Master of our Lodge in the first century of its history in 1959, and the first of 13 to have occupied the East during the past 25 years. The past quarter of the century as stated, 13 have enjoyed that privilege and 12 of them are living. The only one to have passed to the Celestial Lodge Above is the late and beloved Wor. Oliver H. Ramo, who died in 1974. Those still living are as follows: Wor. Donald L. Charlton; Wor. Charles M. Bonjokian; Wor. Kendall P. Kellaway; Wor. Joseph R. Steinberg; Wor. Carl J.R. Carlson; Wor. Alexander O. MacKay; R. W. Albert F. Fitzpatrick; Wor. Eaton G. Elz; Wor. Harry F. L. Winslow; Wor. C. Robert Bolinder; Wor. Paul S. Chase; and the present Brother, Wor. Winthrop M. Cummings. During their terms of office, John Cutler Lodge has increased its activities far beyond imagination and many of the members have been honored and an attempt will be made to enumerate them.

First, the success of our Blood Program must be brought to your attention. This started back in the term of office of Wor. Carl R. MacPherson, who for ten years acted as chairman. In those days, the Red Cross did not come to our Lodge quarters, but visited such locations as churches in the district, or American Legion buildings, and the length of time they would stay made it many times impossible for our members to meet their hours of operation.

Nevertheless, John Cutler Lodge contributed over 500 pints in a matter of some ten years. Sharing this chairmanship with Worshipful Carl were Wor. Lawrence B. Shearer and R. W. Lawrence S. Holbrook who both found it difficult to do as well as we wanted because of the problems involved. Still, our Lodge was one of the best in the district and was praised by the Service Department of Grand Lodge. These days, Bro. Roger A. Moore, encouraged and assisted by Wor. Winthrop M. Cummings and Wor. Paul S. Chase, has been able to develop the program to such an extent that our best year's production was 311, and the Red Cross has commended our Lodge a number of times. The Red Cross now sends the Blood-mobile to our Lodge quarters and remains most of the day. Many people deserve credit, but Brother Moore is the main reason for our spectacular success.

It is interesting to note that Bro. James F. Doughty was the first Entered Apprentice in the new quarter-century. He later served as Treasurer of our Lodge. The death of Wor. William Tribou in March 1960 took away one of our most faithful workers. He had served all organizations well and was a key figure in the Abington Masonic Association, and did all the printing for all the bodies.

Most Worshipful Lawrence Emerson Eaton was Grand Master in 1960 and the Lodge received him. Many applications were received those days and Past Masters' Nights were held and all four of the living Past Masters of the first century took part. Appeals were made by Brother Robert B. Swift for the Order of DeMolay and many of our members qualified for the Gallon Club as early as 1960.

Various Degree Teams came to Abington to perform the Third Degree on someone who was a member of their club or organization. It is interesting to note that on Wednesday, November 16, 1960 R.W. Herbert I. Perry, then our District Deputy Grand Master, paid us an Official Visit and had 52 on his Suite. That night there were 156 present and we had 431 members of the Lodge.

In 1961 several changes took place. Brother Oliver M. Ramo became our Worshipful Master, Wor. Lawrence B. Shearer became Chairman of the Blood Program, Wor. Carl O. Bolinder succeeded Wor. Ralph B. Starbard as Secretary and Wor. Lester A. Hall, our Senior Past Master, assumed the duties of Marshal, replacing Wor. Carl R. MacPherson who had held the station for six years.

Our Lodge suffered another loss when on July 13, 1961 Dr. Merrill C. Ward, our devoted Chaplain, passed away. He had served our Brothers in this capacity for 13 years and was also the Chaplain for the 41st Lodge of Instruction. He was a Brother then, but as you all know, came to be our Master and one of our most devoted members. At present he is President of the Abington Masonic Association.

It was about this time that Wor. Lester A. Hall conceived the idea to try to have all jewels of Past Masters returned to the Lodge. He was very successful, and for a long time they were on display in a case made by the late Rev. Frank A. Coad, a fine cabinet maker and one of our Chaplains. In all, some 28 to 30 have been returned, but are no longer on display. They are in our most secure safe and are being used for our recent Past Masters as they become well qualified to wear them. At present there are 27 on hand and with two-year terms, John Cutler Lodge has enough jewels to last some 54 years. Wor. Oliver H. Ramo was elected to serve another term for 1962. It was sad news when Wor. Arthur L. Fish passed away on January 12, 1962. In his will he provided a fund to aid in scholarship awards which were established in April 1963.

During this period Wor. Norman T. Howe continued to work for the Order of DeMolay which he did up to the time of his death and he was created along with Wor. Carl R. MacPherson a member of the Legion of Honor of this organization.

Our Lodge took an active part in June 1962 at the 250th Anniversary of the Town of Abington, founded in 1712. A huge parade took place then and people from the towns of Abington, Whitman and Rockland joined in the celebration. After all, Rockland was once East Abington, and Whitman was South Abington. Wor. Donald L. Charlton from Rockland was elected to succeed Brother Ramo and at this time, Wor. Clyde F. Poole asked to be relieved as Treasurer and Bro. Charles A. Tarr was elected to the position. At this time the membership of the Lodge was 429.

You will be interested to learn that Bro. Carl J. R. Carlson, our present Secretary, was elected to receive the degrees on February 4, 1963. As you know he later became one of our outstanding Masters of the Lodge. During this time our Blood Program was picking up and several of our donors became "Gallon Club" members. Also at this time we were pleased that R. W. S. Forrest Kelliher of Paul Revere Lodge was our Visiting Officer. He later became Junior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge and has long been a prominent member of all York and Scottish Rite bodies. A friend of our Lodge for many years.

Several Degree Teams continued to visit us and for those of us who remember, the Police Team and the Kilwinning Club Teams were outstanding. There were others but these two were very colorful and made a definite impression on all. The Firefighters Square Club and the Pioneer Telephone were two others brought to mind. Presiding Masters were most happy to have these teams display their ability and it is suspected that our officers were, too.

In December 1963, Old Colony Commandery No. 15 held its 100th Anniversary which was postponed from November because of the death of President John F. Kennedy. The Lodge and its members assisted in this observance.

A service was held to dedicate the case containing the Past Masters' Jewels at this time with a fine service arranged by Wor. Lester A. Hall who took great pride in this accomplishment.

John Cutler Lodge suffered a severe blow when on July 5, 1964 Wor. Albert W. Johnson, a Master Mason for over 60 years, a Past Master of our Lodge and the 41st Lodge of Instruction, a Past Chaplain and Past Historian died after a long illness. Born in Liverpool, England in 1879, he was 85 years old at the time of his passing. Your present writer considers Worshipful Albert and Rev. Merrill C. Ward the two finest men he has known in his life and closest to the Lord Himself. At his Masonic service there were over 70 Masons present. He was most devoted to all organizations and for years handled the business of the Abington Masonic Association alone. All who knew these two men loved them and we all have prayed that they are resting in peace. Herbert W. Pendleton had become Treasurer of the Lodge at this time, replacing Brother Charles A. Tarr. Wor. Carl R. MacPherson closed out as Blood Chairman succeeded by Wor. Lawrence B. Shearer. It was a struggle in those days because of the uncertainty of the appearance of the Bloodmobile. Brother Charles H. Bonjokian served as Master for the years 1965 and 1966 and Wor. Lester A. Hall became District Deputy Grand Marshal for Right Worshipful Alvin R. Reid, our District Deputy. Brother Ernest H. MacNeill did our members a great favor when he assumed the task of visiting the sick. This visiting up to his willingness to do it had been performed by the presiding Masters. No one can forget his faithfulness to our ill and shut-in brothers.

On November 1, 1965 Wor. Carl O. Bolinder had the privilege of raising his son C. Robert Bolinder to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason. Certainly a night to remember and over one hundred were present to witness this event. At that time our Lodge had 421 members.

Our present Right Worshipful Albert F. Fitzpatrick became Junior Steward in 1966 and Wor. Harry FL. Winslow was elected on September 6, 1966. In 1967 Kendall P. Kellaway became Master, Joseph R. Steinberg, Senior Warden, Carl J. R. Carlson, Junior Warden, and Alexander O. MacKay, Senior Deacon. This group served in these offices only one year as pressure of business forced Wor. Kendall P. Kellaway to decline a second term. He did serve as Marshal the following year for Wor. Joseph R. Steinberg.

The loss of Brother Percy H. Cook, our Tyler, on January 30, 1967 was felt by all and he was succeeded by Brother Edward M. Webster in this important position. Step-up nights were fairly frequent and these affairs assured the members that the future of the Lodge would be in good hands. On June 5, 1967, R. W. Stanley H. Peterson presented 50-Year Veterans' Medals to Wor. Ralph B. Starbard and Brother Norman C. Poole. The Kilwinning Club paid us a visit two nights later.

Brother Joseph R. Steinberg became Master for 1968 and your writer served with pleasure as his Marshal, marking the seventh year he had served in this station. Brother James E. Doughty became Treasurer. On June 8, 1968, 50-Year Medals were presented to Brothers Fred Albert Arnold and Carl Stanley Benson. On November 25, 1968 the death of Brother Herbert Dean Simpson happened. He was of great service to the Lodge as he more or less kept our candidates in good spirits as they awaited the pleasure of the Lodge. A significant fact is the election of the two Burlingames, father and son, on December 2, 1968. Brother Stanley D. Foster became a 50-year member on February 3, 1969 and Brother Donald C. Gustafson was elected on March 4, 1969 and raised on June 2, 1969.

In 1970 and 1971 Wor. Carl J. R. Carlson was our Master and he had Brother Albert O. MacKay as Senior Warden, Brother Albert F. Fitzpatrick as Junior Warden, and Brother Eaton G. Elz as Senior Deacon. Brother Harry F.L. Winslow acted as Junior Deacon. These men are mentioned because they all became Masters of our Lodge in the future. Our membership was now down to 392. Wor. Lester A. Hall, our Senior Past Master, continued to attend and assist our officers in every way he possibly could. Wor. Wolstan E. Browne resigned as representative to the Masonic Association and Wor. Carl R. MacPher-son was elected to replace him.

On September 8, 1970 the Abington Masonic Association launched its program for renovating the building. The decision was made to remain at our present location rather than sell and move to some other area. It was also decided to renovate the present structure rather than tear it down and start from scratch. Wor. Joseph R. Steinberg was then President of the Association and Wor. Carl R. MacPherson was appointed as Chairman and Wor. Lawrence B. Shearer as Treasurer. Through the contributions of our friends, our Lodge members and the Lodge itself, and the Commandery, we were able to raise nearly $50,000 and the results of this effort are plainly seen with the Lodge rooms, both in fine condition and the dining room improved and also toilet facilities more pleasant, a new kitchen, through the efforts of Brothers Richard Ellenson and Eaton G. Elz, and many other areas such as the parking lot, the painting of the building, a new furnace, etc. all came from the program that we started in 1970. No one person deserves all the credit for many of our members pitched in. Wor. Charles H. Bonjokian, for instance took charge of laying the carpeting for the entire second floor and donated his time and the materials for the project. Wor. Alfred J. Paiva of Wampatuck Lodge deserves thanks as well. Things were really humming for us in those days and although there are still some areas needing attention, we are for the most part very comfortable with new tables and chairs provided for the upstairs and the dining room. In November 1970 the Lodge voted unanimously to give $20,000 toward the work.

R. W. Ernest Clark, a Past District Deputy Grand Master passed away on November 5, 1970 thus removing another Past District Deputy Grand Master and a faithful worker for our organizations in Abington. One of our proudest moments came in December 1970 when Wor. Lawrence S. Holbrook was installed by M. W. Herbert H. Jaynes as District Deputy Grand Master for our district and the year 1971. He was reappointed the next year and installed by M. W. Donald W. Vose for the year 1972. Wor. Lawrence B. Shearer served as his Marshal and during those two years Wor. Carl R. MacPherson was the Most Illustrious Grand Master of the Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters of Massachusetts. The Lodge held a reception for Most Illustrious Carl and Right Illustrious Ralph B. Starbard, his Grand Master of Ceremonies on February 1, 1971. Their histories were given by Wor. Lawrence B. Shearer and an engraved baton was presented to Ralph and a set of visiting cards to Carl. A night your historian will never forget.

Paul Stephen Chase was elected to receive the degrees on May 3, 1971 and as many of you know he became one of the most energetic presiding Masters we have ever had. If you have not seen his list of accomplishments, you should do so. His programs and things he thought of to do are beyond most imaginations and he has truly left a list of accomplishments which one will find hard lo meet. The writer will be forever grateful to him for the elaborate display he prepared which is now on the wall near the Tyler's desk.

We were all saddened when R. W. Herbert I. Perry passed away on March 17, 1971. He had been one of the most devoted members of the Lodge and certainly one of the outstanding leaders and Masters. Your writer succeeded him as Worshipful Master of the Lodge in 1953. He was a fine teacher and leader among us all.

Work started on the renovation of our building in the summer of 1971 and a new roof and new siding were completed that summer. New officers were elected for 1971-2 and Brother Alexander O. MacKay became Worshipful Master and all other officers moved up with Brother Albert Fitzpatrick as Senior Warden, Brother Eaton G. Elz as Junior Warden and Brother Harry F.L. Winslow as Senior Deacon. The loss of Brother Everett Benjamin was a blow to us all and he died on April 24, 1972. "Benny" as he was affectionately known to us all, was our custodian for many years and kept the building in tip-top shape, always doing something to improve conditions. On November 6, 1972 Wor. Carl O. Bolinder received a Certificate of Merit from the Grand Lodge issued by M. W. Donald W. Vose.

Wor. Alexander O. MacKay and his entire slate of officers were again elected to serve in 1973. We were now down to 374 members. Robert Walter Morgan applied in January 1973 and was elected in February of that year. Two more of the Winslow family applied in the persons of David and Charles. They were of course elected to receive the degrees and you can see that the Lodge was now beginning to get many father-son combinations.

We lost one of our most faithful members on June 27, 1973 when Brother Ernest Harold MacNeill passed away. His service as a visiting brother to our members was hard to match but several have carried on this important mission notably, Wor. Lyman W. Douglas, Wor. Norman T. Howe and R. W. Albert F. Fitzpatrick. This is most important for us as Masons to do and as it fell upon the Master's shoulders once to do, it is nice to have others willing to assume this responsibility.

The Lodge continued the V. A. escort service and work on the building was continued. It is interesting to note that Brothers Bob Bolinder and Paul S. Chase were officers at this time as well. In the years of 1973 and 1974 our District Deputy Grand Master was R. W. David T. Carlton and his Marshal was Wor. George E. Andrews and they made many visits to our Lodge.

On November 24, 1973 in Boston Wor. Carl R. MacPherson received the Legion of Honor, DeMolay, and in December 1973 Wor. Ralph B. Starbard became Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Council of Massachusetts. The Lodge also voted at this time the proposal to lower the age for membership.

Brother Albert F. Fitzpatrick on December 3, 1973 was elected and served as Worshipful Master for the years 1974 and 1975. His Senior Warden was Brother Eaton G. Elz and Brother Alexander O. MacKay served as Junior Warden. Our membership at this time was 370. An applicant on February 4, 1974 was Winthrop Morse Cummings who at the present time is your Worshipful Master. Also, the Lodge supported the Grand Lodge Expansion Program at the Masonic Home at Charlton.

We were all saddened by the death of Wor. Oliver Hugo Ramo on February 3, 1974 and a Masonic Service was held for him on February 5th. He had been one of our most devoted members and is the only Past Master since 1959 not living. His knowledge and willingness to assist aided us a great deal in our building program. At this time your writer became President of the Abington Masonic Association, a position he held for many years. In September, 1974 he was nominated to receive the Honorary Thirty-Third Degree, Scottish Rite at Atlantic City.

Wor. Albert F. Fitzpatrick, reelected for 1975 received the jewel of our late Brother Wor. Oliver H. Ramo And we know he took much pride and pleasure that Mrs. Ramo was willing to release it. She consented only on the condition that it be worn and not put in the case as others were.

A Special Program was held on December 20, 1974 to celebrate the term of service that Wor. Lester A. Hall, our Senior Past Master, had rendered to John Cutler Lodge. It marked 50 years since his installation as Master and a large crowd was on hand to pay him tribute including M. W. Donald Warren Vose, then the Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts.

Wor. Carl O. Bolinder received his 50-Year Veterans' Medal on March 14, 1975 from R. W. George H. Snow, then our District Deputy. On October 6, 1975, the members of John Cutler Lodge held a Testimonial Program for Wor. Carl R. MacPherson, 33rd Degree, who had received the honor the previous month in Boston. A number of brothers spoke of his Masonic contributions and he was presented with a Paul Revere bowl suitably engraved.

December 1, 1975 marked the date upon which our faithful Secretary, Wor. Carl O. Bolinder, announced his intention to terminate his duties in this office. He had served 16 years and was known as one of the best at this work. He was succeeded by Wor. Joseph R. Steinberg who carried on the work from 1976 to 1984 when our present Secretary, Wor. Carl J.R. Carlson, was elected for the year 1984. Brother Steinberg, as the Records will attest, also did an excellent piece of work for our Lodge. At the Annual Meeting in 1975 Brother Eaton G. Elz was elected and he served for 1976 and 1977 as our Worshipful Master. Brother Paul S. Chase was his Senior Steward, and Brother Harry F.L. Winslow was Senior Warden. Kenneth R. Pike was elected in February 1976 as Treasurer, and our Worshipful Master raised his own son Ronald on March 5, 1976. The Chapel Escort Service continued during this period and Table Lodges started to appear in this area.

The loss of Rev. Brother Francis Alfred Martyn Coad on April 8, 1976 was unpleasant news although he had been ill over a long period of time. He had done much for us, making the case holding the Past Masters' Jewels as well as making the frames which held the pictures of the same Past Masters. During this period Wor. Lyman W. Douglas continued visiting our sick brethren. At about this time Wor. Albert F. Fitzpatrick was doing the same and to this day is performing an important service. The Order of Rainbow Girls and the Order of DeMolay both located in our building also aided us by serving the suppers we so much enjoyed. Elected to serve in 1977, Wor. Eaton "Skip" Elz received the jewel his father had worn as a Past Master and today he still wears it with pride. Brother Roger A. Moore was raised on June 10, 1977 and now serves as our Senior Deacon as well as our Blood Program chairman. May 16, 1977 was the 90th birthday of Wor. Lester A. Hall and many of the brothers visited him. The records show that Wor. Donald Eugene Farish was elected as a member by affiliation on September 6, 1977. The death of Wor. Lyman Walker Douglas came on September 3, 1977 and to say that he would be missed was pulling it mildly. His service visiting our brothers in distress will long be remembered. He was a "gentle man."

The officers installed for 1978 were Brother Harry F.L. Winslow as Master, Brother C. Robert Bolinder as Senior Warden, Brother Donald Jarvinen as Junior Warden, Brother Paul S. Chase as Senior Deacon, and Brother Winthrop M. Cummings as Senior Steward. Brother Henri V. Jobert acted as Chairman for the V.A. Escort. On January 30, 1978, Brother Samuel L. Ware died and a private service was performed by our officers. Wor. Wolstan E. Browne left us on May 7, 1978 and as most know remembered the Lodge in his will. R. W. Ara Manoogian from Puritan Lodge was District Deputy and he made many visits to John Cutler Lodge. In November 1978 our membership had fallen to 325, a loss of fifteen. The same officers were elected for 1979 except that Brother Cummings moved up to Junior Deacon and Brother Robert W. Morgan became Junior Steward. Also of note was the fact that Wor. Albert F. Fitzpatrick became our District Deputy Grand Master for 1979 and 1980 and had Wor. Eaton G. Elz as his Marshal and Wor. Joseph S. Steinberg as his secretary. The three were very popular throughout the district and made many visits to the eight lodges in our area. July 14, 1979 was significant to us all as Wor. Ralph B. Starbard observed his 96th birthday.

Wor. Lawrence B. Shearer became the President of the Abington Masonic Association and on October 13, 1979, R. W. Lawrence S. Holbrook assumed the Master's position of Wampatuck Lodge in Hanson. In November 1979 our membership had dropped to 317. Brother C. Robert Bolinder was elected to serve as Master for the year 1980. R.W. Albert F. Fitzpatrick again favored the Lodge by serving as Senior Warden and Brother Paul S. Chase as the Junior Warden with Brother Winthrop M. Cummings in the office of Senior Deacon. Wor. Carl O. Bolinder presented his son with a gavel to use in his office. Brother Toiva M. Jarvinen was now serving as Tyler and still holds that important position. Our Senior Past Master, Wor. Lester Albion Hall passed Away on January 7, 1980 after many years of service. He had been a Past Master for 54 years, and was faithful to John Cutler Lodge and did many things to help us. His death was felt by all and Wor. Carl O. Bolinder became our Senior Past Master. At this period Wor. Norman T Howe began to visit our ill brothers and continued his valuable service up to the time of his death. Our Blood Program was now doing well under the leadership of both Brothers Roger A. Moore and Winthrop M. Cummings. About this time, Wor. Carl O. Bolinder was confined to the Mildred Alford Nursing Home in North Abington but was always in good spirits and was visited by many of the brothers.

The death of Wor. Ralph Benson Starbard came on May 16, 1980 and thus we lost probably as faithful a member as we have ever had. Even at the age of 96 plus he continued to attend our meetings. He held many Masonic honors and his passing, like that of Wor. Lester A. Hall, left a vacancy which we knew would be hard to fill. He loved his Masonic Associations, of which there were many, and to this day we feel his loss. Had he lived to July 14, 1980, he would have been 97 years old.

In November 1980, our membership was reduced to 304, a situation which bothered us all. The officers for 1981 were elected in December as follows: Worshipful Master, Brother Paul S. Chase; Senior Warden, R. W. Albert F. Fitzpatrick; Junior Warden, Brother Winthrop M. Cummings; Senior Deacon, Brother Robert W. Morgan; and Brother Donald C. Gustafson as Senior Steward. Wor. C. Robert Bolinder received his father's Past Master's jewel, a well-deserved presentation.

With the term of Wor. Paul S. Chase, things began to happen. The V. A. Escort Service was carried on and the Blood Program really flourished and the fact that the Red Cross came to our building enabled us to carry on a very extensive program. Brother Robert B. Swift was happy in the Masonic Home in Charlton and was visited many times by the Master and others. An appreciation night was held and another Winslow, Jon Howard by name, became a member. The Rainbow Girls demonstrated a sample of their work. Brother Robert W. Robinson became a member and soon after did the Senior Deacon's Lecture in the Fellow Craft degree. Wor. Eaton G. Elz became Master of our 41st Lodge of Instruction and R.W. Stephen H. Noyes was our District Deputy and on June 1, 1981, Wor. Harry F. L. Winslow raised his son who became a Master Mason. Brother Carl Stewart Shaw died on August 30, 1981 at the age of 97 years. The Blood Program was in full swing and it was announced that up to September 1981, 191 pints had been donated. On October 5, 1981 two sons of Brother Richard I. Eaton, Jr., John Albert Eaton and Wayne Edward Eaton applied for the degrees. On December 7, 1981 Wor. Paul S. Chase was reelected as our Master, Brother Winthrop M. Cummings as Senior Warden, Brother Robert W. Morgan as Junior Warden, and Brother Donald C. Gustafson as Senior Deacon. Brother Roger A. Moore was appointed Junior Deacon. At this meeting it was voted to send Mrs. Lawrence S. Holbrook a Certificate of Appreciation for her help in furnishing our collations. Thus in 1982 our line was still solid and the work was done in an excellent manner.

On February 1, 1982 the Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, M. W. J. Philip Berquist, commended our Worshipful Master Paul S. Chase on his Master's Plan and on that date Brother Robert W. Robinson did the work of the Senior Deacon after being raised only a short time before. An unusual fete to be sure.

It was voted in May 1982 to raise our dues to $23.00 and with Grand Lodge dues now $12.00, the total a brother would have to pay was $35.00. On June 7th Wor. Donald E. Farish raised his son-in-law Charles Joseph Flynn and the same evening Wor. Paul S. Chase raised his son-in-law, Richard Samuel Cina, a great night for these two "Fathers-In-Law." June 11, 1982 was a fine evening for all and 25-year pins were given out to those eligible. Brother Donald E. Belcher received his 50-Year Veterans' Medal and there were 147 in attendance. On October 4, 1982 it was revealed that 16 people had completed the CPR course.

One of our best meetings took place on Monday, November 1, 1982 when as we were in session, a knock at the door when answered found the Most Worshipful Grand Master, J. Philip Berquist, present to make us a Fraternal Visit. He was accompanied by his Grand Marshal, R. W. Robert C. Patey. This was a big surprise to us all and as it was a Past Masters' Night, Brothers Kenneth Joseph McKinnon and Richard Alfred Lucas became Master Masons. The Grand Master also presented R. W. Albert F. Fitzpatrick and Wor. Norman T Howe with the Joseph Warren Medal for their fine service to Massachusetts Masonry and to our Lodge in particular. This visit came as a shock to us all for only the Grand Master and our Worshipful Master knew it was going to happen. The Grand Master also commended Wor. Joseph R. Steinberg for his help with the computer system at the Grand Lodge.

In November 1982 we had 292 members and had contributed 309 pints of blood which I understand did increase to 311 pints for this year, and we received a commendation from the Service Committee of Grand Lodge. The material presented and written by our outgoing Master, Wor. Paul S. Chase in 1982 is something that I wish you all could read. Certainly his two years of progress as our Master will be very hard to match.

Our Officers for 1983 were installed on December 11, 1982 as follows: Worshipful Master, Brother Winthrop M. Cummings; Senior Warden, Brother Robert W. Morgan; Junior Warden, Brother Donald C. Gustafson; Treasurer, Brother Kenneth R. Pike; Secretary, Wor. Joseph R. Steinberg; and Senior Deacon, Brother Roger A. Moore. On January 3, 1983, Wor. Carl R. MacPherson presented his Past Master's Ring and a Past Master's tie tack to be worn by each Past Master for a period of two years and then passed on to his successor. This ring had been presented to him by his wife Grace R. MacPherson in 1954 at the conclusion of his first term of office and he stated that he was anxious for the ring to always be worn by a Past Master of John Cutler Lodge. A hard blow for us all came when Wor. Norman T. Howe died on March 1, 1983. A most devoted person and member of our Lodge, he had been a member for 49 years. His efforts to visit the sick and shut-in companions paralleled that of the late Wor. Lyman W. Douglas and the present R. W. Albert F. Fitzpatrick. Brother Burton Lincoln Wales, Brother Howe's neighbor died also about this time he being a member of 66 years. A Certificate of Appreciation was presented to Wor. Alexander O. MacKay for his many contributions to our Lodge and to Masonry in many ways. It was reported on April 4, 1983 that our Lodge stood 8th out of 333 lodges as far as contributions to the Blood Program were concerned.

Past Masters' Night was again enjoyed on June 6, 1983 and your historian, Wor. Carl R. MacPherson, did the entire first section of the Master Mason's Degree. It seemed good to do once again this most impressive ritual and he was given a round of applause for his efforts. R. W. Robert Dexter Hermanson, our District Deputy, visited us on October 3, 1983 and it was your writer's privilege to introduce him to our Worshipful Master and the members of the Lodge. On November 7, 1983 John Cutler Lodge voted to give $2500.00 to the Masonic and Charitable Fund for the Masonic Home at Charlton. That same evening the play, "A Rose Upon the Altar" was presented by the Fellowship Players of Bridgewater. It was well received by our members and was presented in the hall of the United Church of Christ.

On November 15, 1983 our membership had dropped to 285 but most fraternal organizations were suffering in this respect as we were. Wor. Paul S. Chase, with permission from the Worshipful Master Winthrop M. Cummings, prepared a detailed display of the jewels and honors that had been bestowed upon Wor. Carl R. MacPherson, who holds the highest degrees in both York and Scottish Rites and this display now appears near the Tyler's station in one of the corridors. He is one of two men in the history of John Cutler Lodge to receive the Thirty-Third Degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry for the Northern Jurisdiction of the United States of America. The other was the late R. W. Olin Drake Dickerman, who lived in Newton when so honored. Worshipful Brother Carl is the only man from Abington to have this degree conferred upon him. He also holds the Order of the Purple Cross of North America. He will be ever grateful to the Lodge and to both Worshipful Paul S. Chase and Worshipful Winthrop M. Cummings.

Our officers for 1984 and now serving are: Worshipful Master, Wor. Winthrop M. Cummings; Senior Warden, Brother Robert W. Morgan; Junior Warden, Brother Donald C. Gustafson; Treasurer, Brother Kenneth R. Pike; Secretary for his first year, Wor. Carl J.R. Carlson; Senior Deacon, Brother Roger A. Moore; and Junior Deacon, Brother Russell A. Trefethen. Our present Master now wears the Past Master's Ring presented to the Lodge by the writer. Two deaths this year have been hard for us to accept, that of Wor. Carl O. Bolinder at 87 years of age and a member of the Lodge for nearly 59 years, and that of Brother Robert B. Swift. The former passed away on February 1, 1984 and the latter on March 25, 1984. Both were fine men and excellent members of the Craft and both had contributed a great deal to our own Lodge and to Masonry in many ways. Services were held for Wor. Carl O. Bolinder on February 3, 1984 and the fine attendance that evening was a tribute to his standing as a Master Mason. For Brother Swift, his ashes were to be scattered in Scitu-ate Harbor with a Masonic Service from the boat of Brother Toiva M. Jarvinen. Awards this year have been made to both Wor. Paul S. Chase and Wor. Joseph S. Steinberg by our District Deputy, R.W. Robert D. Hermanson, for their unusual service to the Craft. Brother Robert A. Robinson also received his 50-Year Veterans' Medal from Grand Lodge this year. Also the Lodge has been given a Plaque from our Grand Lodge. More 25-year Membership lapel pins were presented on June 4, 1984.

Thus ends the history to the point of June 1984. It has been a very difficult task for your historian but as always it has been a "labor of love."

OTHER

  • 1862 (Description of jurisdictional issues, VI-408)

EVENTS

CONSTITUTION OF LODGE AND HALL DEDICATION, SEPTEMBER 1860

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XIX, No. 12, September 1860, Page 359:

JOHN CUTLER LODGE. This is the appropriate name of a new Lodge, recently constituted at Abington, in this State. John Cutler was the first Grand Master after the union of the two Grand Lodges of Massachusetts in 1792. The ceremonies of constituting the Lodge and dedicating the new hall, which is a very neat one, were performed by the R. W. Deputy Grand Master, Dr. J. V. C. Smith, assisted by the officers of the Grand Lodge, on Tuesday the 14th September last. The installation service was performed by the R. W. Junior Grand Warden, Wm. D. Coolidge, in his usual happy manner. The prospects of the Lodge are highly encouraging, and we wish it the most abundant success.

PAST MASTER'S NIGHT, JUNE 1909

From New England Craftsman, Vol. IV, No. 10, July 1909, Page 370:

A Special Communication of John Cutler lodge, Abington, Mass., was held Friday, June 4th. The purpose of the meeting as stated in the quaintly printed notice was "to honor ye Past Worshipful Masters of John Cutler Lodge F. & A. M. of Ye towne of Abington." The notice further stated:

Ye anciente Worshipful Past Masters of ye said Lodge purposeth to show ye younger brethren that ye olde men hath not forgot ye lessons of days Iang syne. They expecteth to prove that ye "Has-Beens" hath still the vigor of youth. They will fill all ye chairs of ye said Lodge on ye evening aforesaid, and raise to ye degree of MASTER MASON all ye Fellow Crafts that ye said Lodge decmeth duly qualified to receive ye honor.

The chairs were filled as follows: Samuel E. Ring, 1873-75, Worshipful Master; Cornelius A. Faunce, 1882-84, and William Pierce, 1885-87, Wardens; Arthur T. Faunce, 1904-05, Treasurer; Geo. W. S. Hyde, 1906-07, Secretary; Ernest W. Calkins, 1898-1900, and David V. Poole, 1891-93, Deacons; Thomas J. Lewis, Chaplain; Charles F. Dudley. 1902-03, Marshal; Chas. B. Shaw, 1894-95, and Chas. S. Beal, 1896-98, Stewards; Jas. M. Llewellyn, 1889-1901, inside sentinel, and O. D. Dickerman, 1908-09, Tyler.

There was a large attendance of brethren. Worshipful Master Olin D. Dickerman extended a cordial welcome to all, especially the past masters who were to fill the chairs during the evening. He reminded Wor. Brother Ring that he was serving the lodge as Master before the present Worshipful Master was born. Immediately after the Past Masters had assumed their stations the brethren all stood and united in singing Auld Lang Syne. The Harvard Quartet assisted in the ceremonies and a banquet concluded the exercises of the evening.

50TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, NOVEMBER 1909

From New England Craftsman, Vol. V, No. 4, December 1909, Page 88:

OlinDickerman1909.jpg AlfredHNash.jpg DavidVPoole.jpg
Olin D. Dickerman; Alfred H. Nash; David V. Poole

The celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of John Cutler Lodge of Abington, Mass., on Sunday and Monday, November 21 and 22, was a notable event in the Masonic history of Abington. The officers and members of the lodge were duly impressed with the importance of the event and generous preparations had been made to celebrate it in a manner that should be worthy of the occasion.

The exercises on Sunday were held at the Congregational Church. John Cutler Lodge was attended by a delegation of sixty members from Puritan Lodge of Whitman. This lodge is the child of John Cutler lodge as from its members the lodge in Whitman was formed. Reserved seats were provided for the members of the two lodges. The rest of the church was crowded with the townspeople and visitors. There was a fine musical program by the Harvard Quartet of Boston. The service was under the charge of Rev. Thomas J. Lewis, chaplain of the Lodge.

The principal feature of the church service was a sermon by Rev. Brother S. H. Roblin, of Boston. Mis subject was "The Sunny Side" and was very interesting, holding the close attention of the large audience.

The exercises of Monday began at 6 o'clock. The lodge was opened in an apartment adjacent to the banquet room in Franklin Hall. The members marched to the banquet hall which was already occupied by ladies. As soon as the officers were seated Most Worshipful Dana J. Flanders, Grand Master, and his suite were introduced and welcomed by Worshipful Master Olin D. Dickerman to whom the Grand Master made a reply. Attention was then given to an excellent banquet which was enlivened with music from an orchestra. The banquet hall was elaborately decorated with draperies, flags and portraits.

After sufficient time had been given to the good things of the table the Worshipful Master arose and gave an address of welcome which was responded toby Grand Master Flanders. Secretary Alfred H. Mash read the Charter and Wor. David V. Poole read a history of the lodge which gave many interesting facts. The lodge is named after John Cutler who was Grand Master at the time of the union of the St. John's and Massachusetts Grand Lodges in 1792.

John Cutler Lodge was founded in 1859. The first meeting for considering the subject was held in the summer of 1859. It was organized November 22 of the same year at the house of Rev. Freeman P. Howland who was then pastor of the Congregational Church. Eleven brethren signed the petition for a charter. Of the members who signed the original charter only one is now alive, Ira Blanchard, who has reached the advanced age of 90 years. The lodge was constituted by the Grand officers, Sept. 5, 1860. It has had but two Secretaries; the first was Erastus M. Nash who served from 1859 to 1896; since which time his son. Alfred H. Nash has filled that office.

Following the lodge history was an address by Rt. Wor. Clarence A. Brodeur, and then came Auld Lang Syne.

The anniversary was a grand success and fully enjoyed by all who participated. The Anniversary Committee was composed of Olin D. Dickerman, Master, and Brothers Wesley C. Gilman. Alfred H. Nash, Peter R. Curtis, Wor. David V, Poole and George E. Comley.

125TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, SEPTEMBER 1984

From TROWEL, Fall 1985, Page 28:

From Bro. Joseph R. Steinberg, TROWEL rep. of John Cutler Lodge, Abington, MA, we learn that the Lodge celebrated their 125th anniversary at the communication of September 4, 1984, at which time Wor. Carl R. MacPherson presented the 125-year history of the Lodge. A printed copy was presented to all in attendance; it contained the information that, at the Lodge's 100th Anniversary in 1959, one of the dignitaries present was "Wor. David B. Richardson, presiding Master of Phoenix Lodge of Hanover." At the recent anniversary, Bro. Richardson was introduced as "Most Worshipful" Bro. Richardson, he having succeeded to the exalted office of Grand Master.

On the Grand Master's suite at the dinner-dance celebrating the event were: M. W. J. Philip Berquist, junior Past Grand Master; R. W. Robert E. Godbout, Jr., Grand Marshal; R. W. Robert D. Hermanson, D. D. G. M. of the Brockton 29th Masonic District, and their ladies.

The event was ably chaired by Wor. Paul S. Chase, junior Past Master, and his committee.


GRAND LODGE OFFICERS

OTHER BROTHERS


DISTRICTS

1859: District 5

1867: District 16 (Plymouth)

1883: District 24 (Brockton)

1911: District 29 (Brockton)

1927: District 29 (Brockton)

2003: District 17


LINKS

Massachusetts Lodges