- 1 HIRAM LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.6.1 OFFICER LIST, JANUARY 1818
- 2.6.2 INSTALLATION, DECEMBER 1845
- 2.6.3 MASONIC FESTIVAL, JANUARY 1857
- 2.6.4 HALL DEDICATION, JUNE 1864
- 2.6.5 OFFICIAL VISIT AND CELEBRATION, OCTOBER 1866
- 2.6.6 INSTALLATION, DECEMBER 1878
- 2.6.7 85TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, DECEMBER 1882
- 2.6.8 OFFICIAL VISIT, OCTOBER 1885
- 2.6.9 INSTALLATION, NOVEMBER 1888
- 2.6.10 INSTALLATION, DECEMBER 1908
- 2.6.11 ANNIVERSARY CHURCH SERVICE, DECEMBER 1922
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 OTHER BROTHERS
- 2.9 DISTRICTS
- 2.10 LINKS
Chartered By: Paul Revere
Charter Date: 12/12/1797 II-112
Precedence Date: 12/12/1797
MEMBER LIST, 1802
From Vocal Companion and Masonic Register, Boston, 1802, Part II, Page 25:
- R. W. Abijah Harrington, M.
- W. Joseph Smith, S. W.
- W. Jonas Bridge, J. W.
- James Brown, Tr.
- Jonathan Harrington, Jr., Sec.
- Amos Muzzey, Jr., S. D.
- Joshua Russell, J. D.
- Nathan Dudley, Steward.
- John Davis, Steward.
- R. W. William Munro, Past Master.
No. of Members, 21.
- William Munroe, 1798-1801, 1804, 1805
- Abijah Harrington, 1802
- Joseph Smith, 1803, 1806
- John B. Wilson, 1807-1812
- Jonas Bridge, 1813
- Amos Muzzy, Jr., 1814, 1815
- John Chandler, 1816
- Daniel Chandler, 1817
- James Russell, 1818-1820; SN
- Amos Locke, 1821-1823
- Walter Russell, 1824, 1825
- Oliver Locke, 1826
- Samuel Chandler, 1827
- Did not meet 1827-1843?
- Samuel Chandler, 1843
- Billings Smith, 1844
- John Jarvis, 1845-1847
- Gershom Whittemore, 1848
- Loami Knights, 1849
- John Jarvis, 1850-1853
- Jesse Pattee, 1854-1856
- Isaac Wright, 1857
- William Parmenter, 1858-1861; SN
- William H. Pattee, 1862-1865
- Theodore Bucknam, 1866, 1867
- Lewis Spalding, 1868, 1869
- Charles B. Fessenden, 1870
- Edward Storer, 1871, 1872
- George D. Tufts, 1873, 1874
- John C. Hill, 1875, 1876
- Henry Frost, 1877, 1878
- John H. Hardy, 1879, 1880
- George W. Storer, 1881, 1882
- Edmund W. Noyes, 1883, 1884
- William H. Poole, 1885, 1886
- Charles H. Prentiss, 1887, 1888
- Charles W. Ilsley, 1889, 1890
- George H. Cutter, 1891, 1892
- Edward H. Cutter, 1893, 1894
- Winfield Durgin, 1895, 1896
- Charles W. Bunker, 1897, 1898; Mem
- Ernest Hesseltine, 1899, 1900
- R. Walter Hilliard, 1901, 1902; Mem
- Frank H. Hubbard, 1903, 1904
- Henry H. Austin, 1905, 1906
- William F. Towne, 1907, 1908
- Asa Durgin, 1909, 1910
- Frederick W. Damon, 1911, 1912
- Edward A. Darling, 1913, 1914
- Charles A. Thomas, 1915, 1916
- Edward N. Lacey, 1917, 1918
- Calvin P. Cook, 1919, 1920
- Edward T. Erickson, 1921, 1922
- F. Alfred Patterson, 1923, 1924
- William E. Bunton, 1925, 1926
- Chester E. Thorpe, 1927, 1928
- Archie M. Howland, 1929, 1930; Memorial
- John B. Proudfoot, 1931, 1932
- Columbus E. Lord, 1933
- Clifford D. Strout, 1934, 1935
- Albert J. Hanson, 1936
- Edwin Theller, 1937, 1938
- George E. Wheatley, 1939, 1940
- Edward A. Richards, 1941
- L. Brooks Saville, 1942, 1943
- Walter H. Taft, Jr., 1944
- George P. Langton, 1945, 1946
- Leslie H. Jones, 1947, 1948
- Charles D. Harrington 1949, 1950; N
- Richard D. Baker, 1951
- Herbert P.M. Rhodes, 1952, 1953
- Gilbert H. Greenwood, 1954, 1955
- Gordon G. Burrell, 1956
- Edward R. Nicoll, 1957; N
- Hilary C. Spaniack, 1958, 1959
- Charles Pederson, 1960
- Kenneth E. Gott, 1961
- Harold G. Larson, 1962, 1963
- Frederick Crawford, 1964
- Vernon R. Lohnes, 1965
- Donald W. Smith, 1966
- Frank W. Sarnow, Jr., 1967
- Neil K. Strong, 1968
- David W. Ryder, 1969
- Charles R. Chamberlain, 1970
- Harold S. Sahagian, 1971
- Arthur E. Clare, Jr., 1972
- Waito J. Jokinen, 1973
- Rene E. Arnaud, Sr., 1974
- Arthur S. Lord, 1975, 1978
- John Marderosian, 1976
- Roger E. Nicoll, 1977
- Joseph Dodd, 1979, 1980
- A. Lawrence Eastman, 1981
- Harry H. Minehart, IV, 1982
- Eugene A. Capobianco, 1983
- Paul F. Miller, 1984, 1997, 1998; PDDGM
- Milton S. Alexis, 1985
- David W. Hooper, 1986
- Marlin E. Whitney, 1987
- Bruce D. Wedlock, 1988
- Paul A. Royds, 1989
- Robert A. Hunt, 1990
- R. Mark Cofran, 1991
- John M. Rogers, 1992, 2002, 2003
- Donald B. Pettersen, 1993, 2001
- Walter C. Wedlock, 1994, 2004
- Charles P. Chudigian, 1995, 1996
- Donald R. Denning, Jr., 1999, 2000
Note that Menotomy (the original town of Arlington) was incorporated with a portion of Belmont and a section of Cambridge and incorporated in 1807 as West Cambridge; this settlement was renamed Arlington in 1867.
See History at the town web site.
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Charter: 1797
- Consolidation Petition (with John Abbot-Samuel Crocker Lawrence and Russell Lodges): 2004
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1846 (Robinson; Installation; see below)
- 1864 (Parkman; Hall dedication; see below)
- 1881 (Lawrence)
- 1884 (Howland)
- 1888 (Endicott)
- 1897 (Hutchinson; Centenary; Special Communication)
- 1900 (Gallagher; installation)
- 1904 (Sanford)
- 1907 (Blake; 2 visits)
- 1908 (Blake)
- 1909 (Flanders)
- 1910 (Flanders; Ladies' Night)
- 1912 (Benton)
- 1918 (L. Abbott)
- 1924 (Ferrell; Cornerstone laying; Special Communication) Meeting Places Address
- 1925 (Ferrell; Hall dedication; Special Communication)
- 1928 (Simpson; installation)
- 1947 (Wragg; 150th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1972 (Wragg; 175th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1980 (Melanson; installation)
- 1985 (Richardson)
- 1998 (A. Johnson; installation; Special Communication)
- 2004 (Hicks; 2 visits, including Consolidation)
- 1924 (History of Freemasonry in Arlington, 1924-414)
- 1925 (Meeting Places of the Freemasons of Arlington, 1925-260)
- 1947 (150th Anniversary History, 1947-432; see below)
- 1972 (175th Anniversary History, 1972-358; see below)
150TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, DECEMBER 1947
From Proceedings, Page 1947-432:
By Worshipful Frederick W. Damon.
The three most important periods in the history of Hiram Lodge are: First, the formation of the Lodge; Second, the preservation of the Charter during the anti-Masonic storm; Third, the building of the temple where the Lodge now meets.
In September, 1797, ten Masons, all of whom had been raised in King Solomon's Lodge, met at Munroe Tavern in Lexington and voted to petition the Grand Lodge for a Charter. Paul Revere was Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts at the time. At the Quarterly Communication of the Grand Lodge in December of the same year, the petition was granted, but when issued, was not signed by Paul Revere, probably due to the fact that his successor had been elected and was holding office when the Charter was signed.
The name of the Lodge was Hiram, the date of the Charter December 12, 1797, the jurisdiction was Lexington, Menotomy (now Arlington), as far south as Natick and as far north as Woburn. William Munroe was chosen as the first Master, Jonathan Harrington as Secretary. Both of these Brothers served in the Battle of Lexington — Jonathan Harrington as a fifer in Captain Parker's Minute Men at the age of sixteen.
In 1831 the meetings of the Lodge were discontinued on account of the anti-Masonic movement, which was fast developing. Right Worshipful James Russell was Master at the time and he, with several others, signed a declaration never to renounce or abandon the Masonic institution. James Russell was born in Somerville (then Charlestown) in 1788; was graduated from Harvard University in 1811; was a member of the School Committee; a Selectman; a State Senator from West Cambridge; and a District Deputy Grand Master in 1821-1822.
During twelve long years, he carefully preserved the Charter of Hiram Lodge, and when the anti-Masonic violence had subsided, he called a meeting of the Lodge in Independence Hall in East Lexington and the Lodge decided to petition the Grand Lodge for permission to move to West Cambridge. The petition was granted, and in 1844, the Lodge was moved to what was then called Bethel Hall. This building stood on the site where the Robbins Memorial Town Library now stands, and on this memorable occasion, we celebrate on practically the same spot. It was here that Samuel C. Lawrence was made a Mason, and in later years, was a Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts.
Here the Lodge met for twenty years, but in that period, had outgrown the building, and in 1864, moved to Russell Hall, situated on the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Medford Street. William H. Pattee was Worshipful Master at that time, and until his death in 1917, took an active interest in all the affairs of the Lodge. For sixty years the Lodge continued to meet here, until the building was destroyed by fire. It was then that the members realized that they must start a movement towards building a new temple.
In 1903, a gift of $100 was made towards a new building by Brother Warren W. Rawson. Worshipful William H. Pattee moved to deposit this gift in a Permanent Fund, which started the movement that resulted in the building we now occupy.
Worshipful Ernest Hessletine, Master of the Lodge in 1899-1900, and Secretary for nearly forty years, worked zealously to promote raising of funds and building of the new temple. He suggested the Cotting High School lot on Academy Street (where the temple now stands) as the most desirable spot. He served on several committees during the building of the temple. On his recommendation, the lot on Academy Street was purchased in May, 1920. He also recommended the starting of a second Blue Lodge in Arlington by Hiram Lodge, and that it be named Russell Lodge in honor of the memory of Right Worshipful James Russell.
Another man who was very active in the work of Hiram Lodge was Edward T. Erickson, Master of the Lodge in 1921- 1922. The records show that he received 228 candidates during his term as Master. He appointed a Committee to form the new Lodge, and when instituted, he was chosen its first Master. He worked arduously to promote the welfare of Masonry until his passing in 1943. Russell Lodge was instituted in 1924 and joined the Arlington Masonic Temple Association, assisting in the erection of the temple.
Just prior to the institution of Russell Lodge, Menotomy Royal Arch Chapter expressed a desire to join with Hiram Lodge in raising funds for the building of a new temple. The Arlington Masonic Temple Association was incorporated January 18, 1923, to provide and maintain quarters for Arlington organizations of Free and Accepted Masons, and the Corporators were as follows:
- Warren A. Peirce
- Edward T. Erickson
- William T. Beattie
- Charles H. Gannett
- Charles E. Cooke
- Harry M. Barney
- Bert S. Currier
- F. Alfred Patterson
- W. Stuart Allen
- Fred G. Sanford
- Frederick W. Damon
- Frank H. Hubbard
- Henry H. Austin
- Edward N. Lacey
- Val T. Hanson
- George D. Bourcy
- Ernest Hesseltine
The corner-stone was laid November 22, 1924, and the first meeting was held by Hiram Lodge September 3, 1925. The temple was dedicated September 22, 1925.
175TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, DECEMBER 1972
From Proceedings, Page 1972-358:
Hiram Lodge had its beginning one hundred and seventy-five years ago, when, on September 7, 1797, ten Freemasons met in the Munroe Tavern in Lexington and petitioned The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts for a Charter. The first page of Volume I, of the Records of Hiram Lodge reads: —
Proceedings of the Brethren residing in Lexington, desirous of obtaining a Charter for holding a regular Lodge in said Town, at the House of Brother William Munroe, on Thursday evening, Sept. 7, A.L., 5797.
- Bro. William Munroe was chosen Moderator.
- Bro. Darius Shaw, chosen Secretary.
- Voted. That a Petition be presented to the Grand Lodge for a Charter.
- Voted. That Brs. Shaw, Brown and Jonas Bridge, be a Committee to Draught a Petition for the Purpose.
- Voted. That the name of the Lodge be 'Hiram.'
- Voted. To ballot for a Master this Evening, and Br. Wm. Munroe was chosen.
At this meeting were present: Brs. Wm. Munroe, David Pisk, Levi Mead, Jonathan Bridge, Jonas Bridge, Joseph Smith, Jr., Abijah Harrington, Jonathan Harrington, James Brown, Darius Shaw.
Brs. John Lamson and Thomas Larkin of Charlestown vere also present and kindly assisted."
A petition was prepared, signed by the ten brothers, with he following recommendation: —
Charlestown, September 7, 1797.
I am induced to recommend the foregoing Petitioners to the notice of the Grand Lodge from a full conviction of their Merit as Masons, and should the further increase of Lodges prove beneficial to the Craft wish the Prayer of the Petitioners may be granted.
(Signed) John Soley, Master of King Solomon's Lodge.
In response to the above, Grand Lodge issued a Charter dated December 12, 1797, authorizing the assembling of Hiram Lodge in Lexington.
Hiram Lodge was organized with William Munroe as Master, Darius Shaw as Senior Warden, James Brown as Junior Warden, and Jonathan Harrington as first Secretary.
It is interesting to note that in the proceedings of Grand Lodge for the year of 1797 it is recorded that a meeting of Grand Lodge was held in Concert Hall, Boston, on the evening of September 13, 1797, with Most Worshipful Paul Revere as Grand Master. The third item of business: —
"A petition from William Munroe praying for a Charter to hold a Lodge in Lexington, was read, with sundry papers accompanying the same, and committed to M. W. Paul Revere, R. W. Samuel Dunn, Deputy Grand Master, R. W. Isaiah Thomas, Senior Grand Warden, R. W. J. Laughton, Junior Grand Warden, and R. W. John Brazer."
It is also recorded that a meeting of Grand Lodge was held in Concert Hall, on the evening of December 1 1, 1797, with Most Worshipful Paul Revere as Grand Master, at which meeting the petition for a Charter for Hiram Lodge was accepted and granted. This action should qualify Hiram Lodge to be known as a "Paul Revere Lodge" but such was not our heritage. At this same meeting on December 11, 1797, the Grand Lodge then proceeded to ballot for their Grand Lodge Officers for the ensuing year, and R. W. Josiah Bartlett was selected as Grand Master. On the following day, December 12, 1797, a Charter for Hiram Lodge was issued by Grand Lodge, signed by Josiah Bartlett, as Grand Master, although he was not installed in that office until December 27, 1797.
FIRST HISTORICAL MEETING PLACE
Munroe Tavern, Lexington, Mass.
The house, erected in 1695, has been preserved until our day, being now owned by the Lexington Historical Society to whom the property was bequeathed by James Smith Munroe in his own name and that of his brother, William Henry, who had made his home there.
On April 19th, 1775, Earl Percy, in command of the British forces, used it as a field hospital. Here, November 5, 1789, Washington dined, in the same room where Lodge meetings were held and here met the ten brethren who drew up the petition for a Charter for Hiram Lodge.
The front chamber on the east end was called "the hall," and the meetings were held therein until October 17, 1798, when an addition which had been made on the rear for the accommodation of the Lodge became the Masonic quarters.
The dedication on October 17, 1798, was an eventful day in Lexington. The Grand Lodge was present, a public procession was formed, services were held in the village church, a sermon being delivered by Bro. Rev. Walter of Boston, and a grand banquet concluded the ceremonies of the day.
In this new apartment Hiram Lodge met from 1797 to 1831. During this time the records bear the names of one hundred and ninety-three persons and the degrees were worked on one hundred and fifty candidates. Seventy-two brothers acquired membership here. The last meeting of Hiram Lodge in the tavern was held January 27, 1831. The anti-Masonic storm had reached Lexington. Although Hiram Lodge did not fall utterly prostrate before the blast, its energy was paralyzed, for it was overshadowed by a thick darkness. Little remained for those who held fast to their integrity but to wait patiently, meet occasionally as Brothers, and mourn over the desolation. Thus, in the valleys and on the hill-tops, they quietly greeted each other; thus they mourned for twelve years, until the clouds broke away,—the storm passed—and in the dawning of a new day, the severed bonds of peace and fraternity re-knit to abide—we trust—forever.
Back of the Tavern rose a long ridge, called Percy's Hill, on which were two prominent ledges. One of them called "Cannon Ledge" was the place where Lord Percy placed a cannon on the 19th of April, 1775, but passing eastward along the ridge, two hundred and fifty yards, there was another ledge, rising several feet above the earth, from whose summit the view was fine, and east, west, north and south spread out before the eye. Here, brothers of the Lodge frequently met in fraternal converse.
On December 31, 1831, a group of honorable and consistent Brethren met and signed the celebrated Declaration, signifying that they would neither renounce nor abandon the Masonic Institution. Among those present and signing were Abram French, Elias Dupee, Loami Knights, Samuel Chandler, Amos Locke, James Russell and William Whittemore, members of Hiram Lodge. In the Temple in which we now meet is preserved a printed copy of this Declaration.
After the anti-Masonic cyclone had passed away, and the political aims of those who excited it had ended in complete failure, the Brethren gained new courage and began to reestablish, or rather to reopen the Lodges. Worshipful Master James Russell convened Hiram Lodge in Monument Hall, East Village of Lexington, December 4, 1843, and the Grand Lodge was petitioned for removal of the Lodge to West Cambridge. This petition was granted in Grand Lodge, December 27, 1843, and is recorded on the back of the original Hiram Lodge Charter.
SECOND MEETING PLACE
Bethel Hall, West Cambridge.
This building stood on the site where the Robbins Memorial Town Hall is now situated and was called Bethel Hall, in what was then West Cambridge. The Lodge Hall was over the bake shop that was situated on the first floor.
The building was of brick, two stories high. The "Hall" itself was about fifteen by forty feet; oval ceilings; large enough for the Lodge in its early years,—the membership, limited to thirty, being increased to fifty—and comfortable enough except that the large chimney of the bakehouse was close to the Senior Warden's chair. It was said that Bethel Hall was best adapted for use on the coldest winter nights. For a short time the Lodge hired the hall of another organization and occupied jointly, but in 1848 Hiram Lodge became the sole tenant. The rental paid at first was $25.00 per annum, the Lodge to furnish light, heat and care. Bro. Jesse P. Pattee acquired the property and for a time rented to the Lodge at $9.00 per year, and shared expense of light and fuel. During the nineteen years, 1844 to 1864 that the Lodge met in this hall, two hundred and thirty-five petitions for the Degrees and Membership were presented and of these, one hundred and forty-three became members. The membership was increasing and it was known that we would soon need larger quarters. A committee was appointed in 1863 and on their recommendation a lease was secured at a new location.
THIRD MEETING PLACE
Russell Hall, Arlington.
The new location was known as Russell Hall, situated on Main Street, Corner of Medford Street and the Lodge met there for the next sixty years, 1864 to 1924.
In the Records of the Lodge, 1863, there is mention of a "new hall being erected," and would seem to indicate the time when the old Masonic Building was built.
The lease included a small part of the second and the entire third floor of the building; hall, thirty by forty-five feet, and two ante-rooms. On March 30, 1864, a sum of money was appropriated to complete the furnishings of the hall. The ceremony of dedication was held June 15, 1864. It was most impressive and was followed by a reception of the Grand Lodge, M. W. William Parkman, Grand Master, after which prayer was offered. The Worshipful Master, Bro. William H. Pattee, delivered an address of welcome, and the service began by the examination of the hall and ante-rooms. A hymn, "Thou Who Art God Alone," was sung. This was followed by the architect's address, presentation of the working tools and additional ceremony. The Grand Master delivered a dedicatory address in which he congratulated the Lodge upon their growth in numbers and Masonic principles. Another hymn, "Great Architect of Heaven and Earth," was sung, a Bible was presented to the Lodge, Bro. Joseph S. Potter speaking for the donors. After the ceremonies a sumptuous collation was enjoyed by all present.
The apartments were soon found inadequate, and in 1866 a tenant was asked to vacate his part of the second story, which was leased and furnished by the Lodge. The apartments were renovated in 1872, and quite extensively in 1898, when electric lighting was introduced throughout. During the years in this building several thousand dollars were expended in renovating, repairs and refurnishing. Since June, 1866, the apartments were jointly occupied with Menotomy Royal Arch Chapter, which was constituted in that month. In 1923, Russell Lodge, named in honor and memory of Rt. Wor. James Russell, was instituted, and, until the building was destroyed by fire, March 20, 1924, also occupied the apartments.
In the sixty years of meetings of Hiram Lodge in Masonic Hall, fourteen hundred petitions were presented and eleven hundred and twenty-six accepted for membership. Within its walls all present living initiates of Hiram, up to the time of the fire, received Light in Masonry. From April, 1924, to June, 1925, the three Masonic bodies of Arlington were accommodated in the Cambridge Masonic Temple, and Hiram Lodge accepted the courtesy extended by Sagamore Lodge for nine meetings in the Sagamore Masonic Apartments, West Medford.
FOURTH MEETING PLACE
Masonic Temple, Arlington.
The Arlington Masonic Temple on Academy Street is our fourth meeting place and from all appearances, it will house our facilities for many years to come. For several years prior to actually selecting the site, the lot where the Temple now stands was acknowledged to be the best location for us. There was much talk at the meetings about a new building and some effort had been made about raising money to build with. The by-laws were changed, increasing annual dues from $4.00 to $5.00, the extra dollar to go into what was termed The Fund For Building. Later it was voted to put $10.00 from each Degree fee into this fund. Contributions of various amounts were made by the members, many of whom realized that they would not live to see the new Temple completed, but were very generous in their gifts.
In 1911 a movement was made toward purchase of a lot and erecting a building, but there were not sufficient funds available and the matter was dropped. In 1919 the proposition came up in Lodge, a committee appointed to consider the purchase of land, the type of building desired and plans for financing, and on their report the Lodge voted to buy the land as a starter. In 1920 another committee was appointed to consider the financing of an undertaking to build. From then on until 1924 various plans for financing were put in force, the fund grew and on October 6, 1924 the contract for a building was voted and before long, the new building started to take shape. On November 22, 1924 the corner-stone was laid by Most Worshipful Dudley Hays Ferrell, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts at that time. (1924 Mass. 410-418) The Temple was dedicated on September 22, 1925. (1925 Mass. 258-278) The first meeting of Hiram Lodge was held in the new Temple September 3, 1925. Since that time, many Masons have been made there and many of our Brothers have passed on to the Celestial Lodge above.
Over the 175 year period, 2561 petitions have been received and of these 2053 have signed the By-Laws and become members. Our peak membership was 805. Our membership at this time is 421.
Hiram Lodge can look back over the past 175 years with pride—175 years of accomplishment, happiness and joy, diversified by moments of sorrow when a beloved Brother is taken from us.
To the founders of Hiram Lodge — the good they did will never die and may the oncoming years add increasing lustre to their fame. We know well that the young Brethren now in the Lodge, and those to follow, will carry on the work with the same zeal, dignity, and devotion that has characterized the work of their fathers.
ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY-FIFTH ANNIVERSARY
Address by Worshipful George E. Wheatley.
My address this evening, will be somewhat broader in scope than that contained in our Anniversary brochure. I want to go back to the period when Masonry was first introduced into Massachusetts, to cover the Pre-revolutionary period, and to bring in some of the atmosphere and tensions which our early brethren must have experienced.
We know that Freemasonry took root in Massachusetts with the appointment of Henry Price as Provincial Grand Master, by the Grand Master of England in the year 1733. By virtue of his deputation Price opened a Provincial Grand Lodge, later known as St. John's Grand Lodge. It authorized him to "Constitute brethren who had been regularly made, into Lodges." It contained no authority to make Masons, as that was the prerogative of Lodges.
Eighteen brethren petitioned the Provincial Grand Lodge for a warrant or charter, which was granted, and the Lodge was at once constituted a regular Lodge. This, of course, is the present St. John's Lodge which meets in the Temple in Boston.
By the year 1752, when feelings between the tories and the patriots must have begun to feel the strain, we find a number of the brethren petitioning the Grand Lodge of Scotland to form a new Lodge. Their request was not acted upon immediately, but delayed until 1756 when permission was finally granted. Thus St. Andrew's Lodge came into being.
It is interesting to note that a number of members of St. John's Lodge immediately joined the new St. Andrew's Lodge. William Bustead, at one time Senior Warden of St. John's Lodge, became its first Master. The contention between the two Lodges became, at times, bitter. What relation this had to the political climate we can only conjecture, but we do know by now tension was rising rapidly.
In 1768 a committee of St. Andrew's Lodge, with its Master, Joseph Warren, petitioned the Grand Lodge of Scotland for a "Grand Master of Ancient Masons in America." This petition was granted in 1769 and Joseph Warren was appointed, "Grand Master of Masons in Boston, New England, and within one hundred miles of same." The new Grand Lodge was duly organized under the name, "Massachusetts Grand Lodge."
As the tensions between the tones and patriots increased it is easy to speculate on what happened at Lodge meetings. The Green Dragon Tavern where the Lodge met, was the headquarters for the Revolution, and General Warren one of its leaders. The records show that on the sixteenth of December 1773, the Lodge adjourned shortly after opening. This was the night of the Boston Tea Party.
Following the death of General Warren at Bunker Hill, the first independent Grand Lodge on this continent was formed with Joseph Webb as Grand Master. All Lodges under the jurisdiction of the Massachusetts Grand Lodge with the exception of St. Andrew's Lodge, joined in the action to form the new Grand Lodge.
After much discussion and many meetings, the two Grand Lodges, St. John's and the New Grand Lodge, united in 1792 and formed the present, "Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts", with John Cutler of St. John's Lodge as Grand Master.
Many Masons outside our jurisdiction are puzzled because our Lodges do not have numbers. They did up to this time. However, because we had a duplication of numbering by the two Grand Lodges all numbering was dropped in the interest of harmony.
Records of the Grand Lodge show there were 56 lodges in the year 1790. By the year 1800 the number had only increased to 69. Eight of these lodges were instituted in the year 1797. They are the following:
- St. Paul Lodge: Groton, now meeting in Ayer.
- Bristol Lodge: Norton, now meeting in No. Attleboro.
- Jerusalem Lodge: So. Hadley, now meeting in Northampton.
- Fellowship Lodge: Bridgewater
- Corinthian Lodge: Concord
- Meridian Lodge: Watertown, now meeting in Natick.
- King Solomon's Lodge of Perfection: Martha's Vineyard (Extinct)
- Hiram Lodge: Lexington, now meeting in Arlington.
Only two of these Lodges continue to meet in their original location.
The records of these early Lodges show that without exception meetings were held in taverns. When we consider the distances the brethren had to travel this is quite understandable especially as most of them seemed to hold meetings in the late afternoon or evening. St. Paul Lodge of Groton, previously mentioned, was said to be one of the first "daylight Lodges" and continued this practice well into the twentieth century.
As one reads old records it becomes very evident that human nature has changed very little. It is easy to speculate that the brethren who petitioned for the formation of a Lodge in Lexington were well aware and undoubtedly quite envious of their brethren in Concord and Groton who had received permission to form Lodges earlier that year. Of equal concern of course must have been that long trek to Charlestown to King Solomon's Lodge.
Another fascinating aspect of researching old records is to speculate why certain things were done or not done. Here is a good example. We know that the petition of the brethren to form a Lodge in Lexington was granted at the Grand Lodge meeting held December 11, 1797 and that on the following day, December 12, the charter was granted. It is also true that at the same meeting Dr. Josiah Bartlett was elected Grand Master to succeed Paul Revere. However, Josiah Bartlett was not installed as Grand Master until December 27. Why did he sign the charter for Hiram Lodge instead of Paul Revere in view of the fact Revere signed the charter of Meridian Lodge granted at the same time?
Probably the most plausible explanation is that Josiah Bartlett was one of the original petitioners and first Master of King Solomon's Lodge. King Solomon's Lodge sponsored the formation of Hiram Lodge. In deference to his successor, Paul Revere may have allowed him to sign the charter. This poses a very moot question. Are we a legally constituted lodge?
Incidentally, there is some confusion about Josiah Bartlett. He is not the Josiah Bartlett who signed the Declaration of Independence. As they Doth retired to Kingston, N.H. late in life, it is quite possible they were of the same family possibly, father and son.
As previously mentioned, taverns were the logical place for these early Lodges to meet; therefore Munroe Tavern was a natural place for Hiram Lodge to hold its meetings.
The relationship between the Revolutionary War and Freemasonry, previously referred to, again stands out when we consider the names of some of the petitioners — names closely associated with the battle of Lexington.
Events have a way of changing history. Had it not been for the episode of William Morgan and the anti-Masonic times which followed, without a doubt Hiram Lodge would still be holding its meetings in Lexington.
Most Lodges ceased to function during this period and many surrendered their charters. It is to the credit of the men in office at that time in Massachusetts that they refused to acquiesce to public opinion and political chicanery. While it is true Lodges ceased to function in a regular manner, with few exceptions, they retained their charters and held occasional meetings.
The fact that most of the Lodges chartered in 1797 meet in some other location today probably reflects the fact that when by fire, and for the next year and one-half Hiram Lodge met in the Cambridge Masonic Temple and in West Medford. Fortunately much talk and planning had taken place before the fire. The ideal site for the new Temple had already been agreed upon. Now all that was needed was action.
By October 1924, the land had been purchased and a contract for the new building awarded. The corner stone was laid by Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell, Grand Master, on November 22nd and on September 3, 1925 the first meeting was held. On September 22nd the building was dedicated.
It is hard to single out any one person when so many have contributed so much over so many years, but I think most members who knew them would agree that Worshipful Ernest Hesseltine, who served the Lodge so faithfully as its Secretary for so many years, and Worshipful Frederick W. Damon, who guided the Lodge financially for so many years, both deserve mention.
As one contemplates the past it is interesting to follow developments. One hundred seventy-five years ago Lodges sprang up out in the country and away from the city. Today we find the same trend, except it is the city Lodges moving out to the country.
Religion and things spiritual are in a turmoil all over the world. Will the pendulum swing back to those virtues so precious to Freemasonry. It is my firm belief that, given time, it will.
- 1812 (Petition for remittance, II-540)
- 1827 (Petition to hold meetings in West Cambridge and Lexington; rejected, IV-90)
- 1842 (Recording Grand Secretary instructed to "wind up the affairs" of the Lodge, IV-575)
- 1843 (Petition to remove to West Cambridge (Arlington); granted, IV-673)
- 1924 (Participation in cornerstone laying, 1924-410)
OFFICER LIST, JANUARY 1818
From New England Galaxy, Vol. I, No. 16, 01/30/1818, Page 3:
Officers in Hiram Lodge, Lexington, for 5818.
- R. W. James Russell, Esq., M.
- W. Amos Locke, S. W.
- W. Daniel Smith, J. W.
- Jonas Bridge, Esq., Treasurer.
- Walter Russell, Secretary.
- Oliver Locke, S. D.
- Joshua Swan, J. D.
INSTALLATION, DECEMBER 1845
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. V, No. 3, January 1846, Page 96:
The officers of Hiram Lodge, West Cambridge, were publicly installed on the evening of the 24th ult. The ceremonies of installation were performed under the direction of the Grand Master, by R. W. Br. Charles W. Moore. After which, appropriate addresses were delivered by the Grand Master and by R. W. C. Gayton Pickman. There was a large number of ladies and gentlemen present; and we trust they were gratified with the ceremonies of the evening. The Lodge is well located, and is in a prosperous condition. It was chartered in 1797, and one of the original petitioners for the charter, - a soldier of the Revolution, - was present.
MASONIC FESTIVAL, JANUARY 1857
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XVI, No. 5, February 1857, Page 141:
Hiram Lodge, of West Cambridge, held their Anniversary Festival, at the Lexington House, (Lexington,) on Friday evening, the 30th of January last. It was eminently the most successful and brilliant fete of the season. Tho arrangements were admirably perfected and carried out under the direction of a committee, of which the W. Master of the Lodge, Col. Isaac H. Wright, was chairman, and in the duties of which he was ably assisted by Brothers Wm. B. Parmenter, J. C. Pattee, H. A. Fuller, C. S. Crowninshield, E. C. Starkweather and S. G. Davis. The Assembly Hall of the Hotel (one of the most popular and best conducted public houses in the vicinity of Boston,) was beautifully and tastefully decorated—for the following description of which, we are indebted to the Evening Traveller of the following day ;—
"At the head of the hall, over the spacious mirror, was suspended a beautiful banner of blue velvet, bearing in silver letters the motto,— Faith, Hope, and Charity; and the prominent emblem of the Order, surrounded with a display of the rich regalia of the Masons. Over this banner a fine specimen of the American eagle was perched, bearing in its beak the motto — Masonic Festival, surrounded with a beautiful glory of national colors. At the opposite end of the hall was displayed in large gilt letters, Hiram Lodge, over which was arranged a representation of the sun, from which radiated brilliant rays of various hues. This was the most prominent feature of the display, and evinced the skill and taste of the decorator. Beneath the sun, depended an apron, the identical one worn by Jonathan Harrington, of Revolutionary memory.
"On the left of the hall, a full length portrait of Washington was suspended, gracefully draped with flags, and opposite this was displayed another prominent emblem of the Order. On a pilaster near the same, was hung a beautiful carpet, belonging to Hiram Lodge- The ceiling was gorgeously decorated with a trellis of streamers, the whole arrangement forming a perfect Encampment. The whole decoration was in perfect harmony with the natural drapery of this splendid hall, and exhibited the versatility of emblematic design of which Col. Beals is capable."
Dancing followed the promenade, participated in by a brilliant company of the ladies of the Brotherhood and their friends, and conducted by a committee of arrangements.
At about eleven o'clock the company repaired to the large dining hall of the hotel for Supper. This hall was also richly and tastefully decorated, and the supper was worthy of the high reputation of the house. Speeches and sentiments followed the removal of the dishes, and an hour was very agreeably spent in this way. The speech of the evening was made by W. Brother Wright, Master of the Lodge. To say that it was eloquent and forcible, conveys but an imperfect idea of its character. It was a strong and successful specimen of extemporaneous speaking. No report of it that we can give, would do it or the speaker justice, and we shall not therefore attempt any sketch of it. Among the other speakers were Dr. Lewis, P. G. M; C. W. Moore, Wm. Parmenter, Esq., J. C. Pattee, C. Rand, and Mr. Hills — the latter of whom spoke in reply tn a complimentary notice of the press.
The ceremonies here being finished, the gentlemen with their ladies returned to the hall and resumed the dancing, which was continued for an hour or more, when the company separated. The occasion was one of the most agreeable it has been our happiness to participate in for many years; and we could but feel, on returning to our home, that if such festivals, properly conducted, as this was, were more frequent, the ladies of our Brethren — their wives and daughters — would have much leas cause to complain of the exclusiveness of our Institution.
HALL DEDICATION, JUNE 1864
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXIII, No. 10, August, 1864, Page 297:
DEDICATION OF NEW HALL OF HIRAM LODGE, WEST CAMBRIDGE.
The Brethren of Hiram Lodge having determined that their Hall was not what it should be, began about a year ago to take measures towards having a new Hall. Subscription books were opened, and the Brethren contributed liberally to the project. After some ineffectual endeavors to purchase a desirable location on which to erect a Masonic bulling, the Committee finally secured Russel Hall, in the building corner of Main and Medford streets, belonging to the Rusael heirs. They have fitted up the Hall in a manner at once beautiful, and worthy the cause. With handsomely carpeted floors, substantially upholstered settees, (sofas they might be called,) and with appropriate decorations in East, West and South, the Hall and its attendant ante-rooms, present an attiactive and beautiful appearance. The ceremonies of Dedication were performed by the Grand Lodge, on Wednesday evening, June 15lh, and were as impressive and solemn as such services always are.
The Dedication proceeded in the following order:—
- Reception of the M. W. Grand Lodge.
- Address of Worshipful Master.
- Examination of Hall.
- Music. Hymn—
Thou ! who art God alone,
Accept before thy throne,
Our fervent prayer!
To fill with light and grace
This house thy dwelling place,
And bless thy chosen race,
O God ! draw near.
As through the universe,
All nature's works diverse,
Thy praise accord ;
Let Faith upon us shine,
And Charity combine,
With Hope to make us thine,
Spirit of Truth and Love,
Descending from above,
Our hearts inflame,
Till Masonry's control
Shall build in one the whole,
A Temple of the soul,
To Thy great name.
- Architect's Address.
- Presentation of Working Tools.
- Selections of Scriptures.
- Ceremony of Dedication.
- Address by M. W. Grand Master, William Parkman.
- Closing Hymn—
Great Architect of Heaven and earth,
To whom all nature owes its birth,
Thou spake and vast creation, stood,
Surveyed the work, pronounced it good.
Lord, canst Ihou deign 10 own and bless
This humble dome, this sacred place?
O, lei Ihy Spirit's presence shine
Within Ihese walls, this house of thine.
Lord here the wants of all supply,
And fit our suuls to dwell on high ;
From service in this humble place,
Raise us to praise thee face to fate.
The address of M. W. G. M. Parkman was timely and appropriate. He congratulated the Lodge upon their growth in numbeis and in Masonic principles, and thought the Hall gave evidence of their progress in the good things of the Fraternity. "These Lodges are the schools in which an universal language is communicated—a language such as needs no interpreter in any land or nation, but which brought friends to the rescue in dangers, Biothers to assist in sickness, and companions in pleasure, whenever it was expressed—the language of symbols and grips, which never failed to elicit the answer required whatever difficulties were connected with the expressing or understanding of the spoken language." He also alluded in fit terms, for which he is somewhat noted, to the duties of the Lodge, both collectively and individually—reminded the Brethren of the old fable of the i: Discontented Pendulum," and bade them to remember that it was in proportion to the interest felt and expre.-sed by each, that success and happiness came to them as a Lodge. After reverting to the age of the Lodge, and again congratulating them on their progress, he closed with the following stanzas :—
We ask not golden streams of wealth
Along our path to flow ;
We ask not undecaying health,
Nor length of years below ;
We ask for Wisdom :—Lord impart
The knowledge how to live;
A wise and understanding heart
To all before thee give.
Just after the address of the M. W. G. M. a very pleasing incident occurred, being the presentation, by Brother J. S. Potter, in behalf of the mothers, wives and daughters of the members of the Lodge, of a very elegant Bible, with the inscription contained upon a very tasteful and beautiful design,'which clustered together most of the emblems appropriate to the Blue Lodges. The Bible was accompanied by a very handsome book-mark upon which were still other appropriate symbols. These were in silver, as was the design upon the book.
In presenting the book Brother Potter spoke as follows:—
Most Worshipful Grand Master—
Since this Hall, which you have done us the honor to assist in dedicating tonight, began to approach completion, and our eyes accustomed to observe the freshness of its new habiliments, whatever has remained in it that was old and much used, appears, by contrast, much more dilapidated than before ; and it has been a subject of remark among us that the sacred volume which lies upon the altar before me, after having done Iong and faithful service, ought to be retired among the treasured, emblems of our Order, and its place supplied by another more in keeping with its modern surroundings. Our Lodge, however, not feeling able to add more to their expenditures, already quite large, concluded to defer their present wishes to a future and more promising period.
But some of the ladies of West Cambridge, with a purpose so nobly characteristic of woman, and a thought most opportune to our needs, are here to-night to surprise us with an unexpected, yet timely aid, in the form of a testimonial, made thrice valuable to us because it brings with it the type of their hopes, their wishes and their thoughts. And now, sir, in behalf of the mothers, wives and daughters, of a large part of its members, I have the honor to present to the Master and Wardens of Hiram Lodge, this magnificent Bible—which, among Masons, is used as a symbol of the Will of God.
It bears upon its cover an enduring silver plate, into which has been skillfully and artistically wrought many of the emblems which so fully illustrate the beautiful system of our Fraternity. And they have been so arranged as to convey to you, through the silent language of these expressive symbols, some of the sentiments which the donors desire to accompany their munificent gift.
Upon the right and left you will notice two Corinthian columns. By Masons, the Corinthian is regarded as the Column of Beauty, that supports the Lodge, and is symbolical of refinement, taste, and high culture, the study and attainment of which enable us to appreciate and enjoy all that is beautiful in life. These are capped with the terrestrial and celestial globes, which are intended to remind us of the extensive claims of that Charity which we are called upon to practice.
Between these two columns are the three steps, which are emblematical of the three principal stages of human life—Youth, Manhood and Age—and these are joined to the base of the columns by the anchor, scythe and hour-glass; which, jointly, are symbols of a desire that we should be faithful in the discharge of our respective duties to God, our neighbor, and ourselves, that we may, at the end of that brittle thread of life, which Time so swiftly spins, enjoy the happy reflection consequent on a well spent life, and finally secure that anchor which will safely moor us in a harbor of supreme peace, far beyond the tempestuous sea of trouble, which is ever surging on the shores of mortal existence.
Against the emblematical supports of our Lodge, rests the square and compass^ the square to remind us, as we look through the vista of the past, how often it becomes necessary to apply a test to our conduct and measure our actions, that we may discover and correct any deviations from the highest rules of rectitude. The compasses are placed before us as symbolical admonitions to circumscribe our evil propensities with a never ending circle of virtuous thoughts and upright deeds.
Over the whole is placed the blazing star, from the centre of which looks down the All seeing Eye; by which it is intended to remind us of that Divine Being who scrutinizes the purposes of our minds and hearts, and that, if we practice the code of virtuous principles embraced by our Fraternity, He will place over our pathway those brighter spots of happiness that will securely guide us across the dark fields of human life.
Supported by the Square and Compass is a shield—not strictly a Masonic emblem—but designed by ihe donors to symbolize the dangeps that environ the human temple so strictly within our own control, and that we should not only seek Divine protection, but also see that it is well guarded by ourselves against the approach of evil tendencies. Upon this shield you will find the emblem of that pureJriendship which accompanies this gilt, and are in these words:—
" Presented to the Master and Wardens of Hiram Lodge, of West Cambridge, by the Mothers, Wives and Daughters of its members, 1864."
This splendid volume is one of the best Oxford Bibles ever imported. Besides the emblematical decorations referred to, it is accompanied by an elegant Mark, designed to direct us to the sacred contents within. Attached to it, you will observe several additional silver emblems, among which is the pot of incense. By this it is intended that we f-hould ever remember that this book is to be read with a pure heart and conscientious purpose.
Beneath this beautifully executed design is another.equally well done, the Ark, Anchor, and the Star and Clasped-hands of Brotherly Love. The cable from the Anchor ol Hope is wound into a coil which encircles the ocean upon which floats the Ark of safety. These are meant to symbolize the feelings and sentiments of the generous donors, and expiess to you the hope that those who earnestly discharge the sacred duties of a true Mason, and faithfully fills his great office of Brother and Friend to those in distress and need—may be encircled in the arms of Divine love and safely convoyed across the ocean of life by the light of that untarnished friendship that gives lo existence its brightest joys, and takes from, death its greatest terrors.
With these sentiments you are asked to accept this Bible and the Mark ac. companying it, with the hope that it may rest upon your altar a welcome monitor that will often pleasantly recall to the memory of " Hiram Lodge," the affection and esteem which are entertained for it by the Mothers, Wives and Daughters of its Members.
At the close of Brother P.'s presentation remarks, the W. M. arose and turning to the Chaplain, said: "Brother Chaplain, will you please receive the Holy Book in behalf of the Master, Wardens and members of Hiram Lodge." The Chaplain, on rising, said :—
My Brother, it affords me great pleasure to accept in the name of the Lodge this beautiful and appropriate gift. Beautiful in external decorations, and with internal truth, and appropriate because although our Order was founded more especially for social purposes, yet have we always welcomed the Bible as the rule and guide of our faith, and as the revealer of those principles upon which all social enjoyments must be based. This gift is appropriate also because it will remind us of the interest with which the ladies who bestow it, regard our welfare, not alone in the present fleeting labors and enjoyments, but also our happiness when we shall enter into the celestial Lodge above. And you will allow me lo thank, through you, the Mothers, Wives and Daughters who have thus expressed their interest and good-will—to thank them for the gift so beautiful and needful—to thank them for the regards thus ex pressed towards our Fraternity—and for the interest which it manifested towards us as a Lodge. We receive it as a token tha.t prejudices against us are being softened, and now hope by the proper use of the truths it contains to become truer men and more faithful Masons. This gift speaks to us not only of the present, but of the future. Not alone of earth but of Heaven—not of time alone, but also of eternity. And I hope, Brethren of Hiram Lodge, as we from time to time gainer here to do the duties of Masonry, that this gift will remind us of other duties than those suggested by social enjoyments. I hope it may remind us that Freemasonry, however good its designs, is not religion, but that deeper than the purposes for which Freemasonry is kept alive, are the principles upon which such purposes are based—that while we here owe duties one to another, there are also duties to God and Heaven important and binding upon us—that while we are here attending to the instruction which our Order can impart, we may not forget those other lessons of true life and love which are contained in this Holy Book. Thus shall this gift, while it makes us acquainted with the good-will of those who present it, make us also to know the way by which to receive the good-will of Him whose book it is. It will tell us that Freemasonry is not religion, however many of religious principles it may illustrate, and teach of those ways and truths which are so essential to our progress towards the heavenly life which is found in the presence and love of our God.
And I hope also the bestowal of this gift by our mothers, wives and'daughters, may strengthen their regard for our Order. For strange as it may seem, all wives of Masons are not Masonic wives, and some have cherished strong prejudices against us. May this expression of interest deepen into regaid, so that they may all be willing to allow us to come together in social harmony, even though we should meet in secret. And when they find that some Masons are unworthy their esteem, let them remember that it would be difficult to get anywhere a body of men, all of whom were perfect. Let them also remember that some of the wisest and best of the world have been members o( our Order, and that those whom the world has loved to honor because of their worth, are also honored by us as good and upright Masons.
Again hoping that this gift may strengthen the regard of the ladies for the Masonic Fraternity, and assuring them that this will deepen our affection for them, you will allow me, my Brother, to thank them through you for this expression of their interest, and to assure them that we highly appreciate their gift, and hope to receive great benefit therefrom. The closing hymn was then sung, the audience joining with the choir, and the benediction being pronounced, the public exercises closed. An occasion of greater interest than was this it is not often our pleasure to attend, and we are sure it will be of great benefit to the Lodge under whose auspices it was conducted, and strengthen through them the whole Fraternity. We must congratulate the Brethren of Hiram Lodge upon their successful furnishing and dedication of their hall, and hope they may continue to progress in all those good works which so distinguish just and faithful Masons.
OFFICIAL VISIT AND CELEBRATION, OCTOBER 1866
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXVI, No. 1, November 1866, Page 27:
The D.D. Grand Master for the Eleventh District, R. W. Master, Samuel O. Dearborn, with his suite, consisting of Br. Geo. W. Heath, as Senior Warden; Chas. W. Copeland, as Junior Warden; Lyman B. Weston, as Marshal; John Botume, Jr., as Treasurer; and Levi S. Gould, as Secretary, made an official visit, to Hiram Lodge, at West Cambridge, T. G. Bucknam, Master, on the 11th Oct., and were received by the members, numbering about one hundred and fifty, and visiting brethren from Boston, Woburn, Maiden, Melrose, &c, constituting at least fifty more. What transpired within the Lodge was only known to "the brethren of the mystic tie" who participated, but it leaked out afterward that the Hiram Lodge was one of the best conducted and prosperous in New England.
After the Masonic labors were concluded, (says the Boston Journal, to which we are indebted for this notice), the District Officers, the visiting brethren, and the members of Hiram Lodge proceeded a little before ten o'clock, by invitation, to the fine mansion of J. S. Potter, Esq., one of the fraternity, where the party was entertained with great liberality, — Mr. Potter having, for several years past, exercised his hospitality in the same way on similar occasions. An ample and magnificent supper was partaken of, and a season spent in social converse and enjoyment in examining the many rare and attractive things Mr. Potter has collected together with care, to beautify his mansion and please his taste. The proceedings were informal, but full of brotherly feeling. Respect for the worthy host was incidentally expressed in just and appropriate terms by W. Master Bucknam, and replied to by Br. Potter. Speech and song whiled away the time pleasantly until "the hour of night's black arch, the keystone," warned the official and other visiting brethren that the special train was ready and the party broke up thoroughly gratified with their entertainment and full of gratitude to their respected entertainer.
INSTALLATION, DECEMBER 1878
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. II, No. 10, January 1879, Page 317:
The 81st annual installation of officers in Hiram Lodge of Freemasons took place in Masonic Hall in December, the wives and friends of the members being present. The following were the officers installed by Judge William E. Parmenter, P. D. D.: John H. Hardy, W. M.; Jacob F. Hobbs, S. W.; Geo. W. Storer, J. W.; J. W. Pierce, Treasurer; I. D. Bradley, Secretary; E. W. Noyes, S. D.; Wm. H. Pool, J. D.; George 11. Locke, S. S.; O. N. West, J. S.; Rev. W. F. Potter, Chaplain: Wm. Proctor, Organist; Thos. Higgins, I. S.; James Thaxter, T.; W. A. Pierce, M. The lodge is one of the oldest in the State, having been instituted at Lexington in 1797, and removed to this place several years later, where it has since flourished.
85TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, DECEMBER 1882
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. VI, No. 10, January 1883, Page 319:
Eighty-fifth Anniversary of Hiram Lodge A. F. and A. M., of Arlington. The members of the Masonic Fraternity in this town, and a number of invited guests, together with their ladies, assembled in the Lodge room of Hiram Lodge in Masonic Hall, at 8 o'clock, Thursday evening, December 31, 1882, testing it to its full seating capacity. Their purpose was to witness the public installation of the officers of the Lodge, and together celebrate the eighty-fifth anniversary of its organization. Preliminary to the installation the installing officer, R. W. Bro. Wyzeman Marshall was welcomed by the Master, Wor. Bro. George W. Storer, who also assisted as Marshal during the ceremonies. The Mendelssohn Quartette rendered the music portion, assisted by the Germania Orchestra. The respective stations were filled as follows: W. M., Edm. W. Noyes; S. W., Wm. H. Poole; J. W., Chas. H. Prentiss; Treas., George D. Tufts; Sec., Leander D. Bradley; Chaplain, Geo. H. Rugg; M., Henry Frost; S. D., Orrin N. West; J. D., A. Dan. Hill; S. S., Chas. W. Ilsley; J. S., Geo. H. Cutter; I. S., Winfield S. Durgin; O., William Proctor; T., Jas. Thaxter.
Wor. Bro. Noyes, on assuming the gavel, addressed his officers and the brethren of the Lodge, bespeaking their co-operation and support, and displayed the well-preserved original charter, executed on parchment, dated December 12th, 1797. At the close of the Lodge, the company repaired to the Town Hall near by, where Hiram Lodge tendered to, its lady friends and invited guests a complimentary party. At intermission, ices, cake, and coffee were served. The floor was under the direction of Wor. Bro. Storer and a corps of assistants. The evening's programme was very tastefully arranged and will lie preserved as a matter of record. It bore a complete ros ter ol the original organization in 1797, also of the Past Masters of Hiram Lodge, from that to the present time.
OFFICIAL VISIT, OCTOBER 1885
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. IX, No. 8, November 1885, Page 253:
R. W. Geo. W. Storer, D. D. G. M., Sixth Masonic District, paid his official visit to Hiram Lodge, F. & A. M., Arlington, in October, accompanied by the following suite: W. Brother John F. Cole, D. D. S. G. W; W. Brother J. G. Smith, D. D. J. G. W.; Brother Charles G. Kaufman, D. D. G. T.; Brother John B. Viall, D. D. G. S.; Brother W. F. Davis, D. D. G. M. There were also present, as invited guests: R. W. Brother Ambrose Webster of Waltham, D. D. G. M. for the Fifth Masonic District; Brother Henry J. Parker, Grand Tyler, and seven Past Masters from other Lodges. The attendance was large, visiting brethren being present from Lexington, Somerville, Cambridge, Charlestown, Boston, and other places. An excellent example was given of work in the third degree. After the exercises, a collation was served, followed by speeches by the District Deputy and others.
INSTALLATION, NOVEMBER 1888
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. XII, No. 9, December 1888, Page 283:
The annual election and installation of officers was held November 15th, by Hiram Lodge, F. and A. M., of Arlington. The full list of officers for the ensuing year, both elected and appointed, is as follows: Charles W. Ilsley, Worshipful Master; George H. Cutter, Senior Warden; Edward H. Cutter, Junior Warden; W. George D. Tufts, Treasurer; L. D. Bradley, Secretary; W. Edmund V. Noyes, Marshal; Rev. F. A. Gray, Chaplain; Nathan T. Soule, S. D.; W. S. Durgin, J. D.; Charles W. Bunker, S. S.; Herbert W. Potter, J. S; Charles F. Crosby, I. S.; George H. Thayer, Organist; James Thaxter, Tyler.
The officers were installed by R. W. Bro. George W. Storer, assisted by W. Bros. Charles H. Prentiss, William H. Poole and Edmund W. Noyes.
INSTALLATION, DECEMBER 1908
From New England Craftsman, Vol. IV, No. 4, January 1909, Page 131:
The installation of the officers of Hiram Lodge, Arlington, Mass., December 3d was an event of unusual interest. Many distinguished guests were present, among whom were Rt. Wor. William H. Odell, Deputy Grand Master; Rt. Wor. William H. Belcher, Senior Grand Warden; Rt. Wor. Oliver A. Roberts, Junior Grand Warden; Rt. Wor. Thomas W. Davis, Grand Treasurer; Rt Wor. Henry M. Nourse, and Rt. Wor. Harry P. Ballard, District Deputy Grand Masters of the 2nd and 7th Districts and Most Wor. Dana L. Flanders, past Grand Warden, now Most Wor. Grand Master. The guests were cordially welcomed. The installation was in charge of Rt. Wor. George W. Storer, Past Master of the lodge and past Warden of the Grand Lodge. A brother of the new Master is a past Master of the Lodge and was invited by Brother Storer to occupy the chair while the Master was installed. Rt. Wor. Bro. Roberts was also called on to install the Treasurer, that official being Rt. Wor. Brother Storer. The reception of the visitors was also an incident of interest as the chairman of the committee that conducted the guests to the lodge room was Worshipful William H. Pattee, the oldest living Past Master of the lodge, and one of the best known and best loved members of the lodge.
The officers installed were as follows: Asa L. Durgin, Worshipful Master; Frederick W. Damon, Senior Warden; Edward A. Darling, Junior Warden; George W. Storer, treasurer; Charles W. Bunker, Secretary; Rev. Harry F. Fister, Chaplain; Richard Tyner, Associate Chaplain; Wendell P, Yerrinton and William Marshall, Deacons; Charles A. Thomas and John F. Scully, Stewards; Charles T. Hartwell, Sentinel; George H. Thayer, Organist and John Henderson, Tyler.
The greeting of Rt. Wor. Brother Flanders by the installing officer was most cordial, the two brothers having been long associated in business. The response of Rt. Wor. Flanders was no less cordial. He said his presence was in part due to the fact that he wished to see the installing official act in that capacity for the 26th time. He made a pleasant allusion to the warm and long friendship of Past Grand Warden Storer and himself and made it known that they had started out as masters of their respective lodges together.
Brother George W. Storer is not only well known by the brethren of his own town but is one of the popular masons of Massachusetts having been long identified with the masonic order in many ways. He is a worker and whatever he puts his hands to is sure to succeed. It is said that a prophet is not without honor save in his own home (This is Scripture from memory), but no Mason is better loved and honored by those of his home than Brother George W. Storer whose picture is presented herewith.
ANNIVERSARY CHURCH SERVICE, DECEMBER 1922
From New England Craftsman, Vol. XVIII, No. 3, December 1922, Page 85:
Hiram Lodge, A. F. & A. M.. of Arlington, attended in a body an anniversary service Sunday. December 10. in the Orthodox Congregational Church of Arlington, this being a part of the observance of the 126th anniversary of the institution of the lodge. The anniversary date, December 11. was celebrated by a banquet in the Robbins Memorial town hall at Arlington Centre.
The religious service was under the direction of the pastor, the Rev. Don Ivan Patch, who is a member of the lodge. He delivered the anniversary sermon, other Arlington clergymen who took pari in the services were the Rev. Archiver J. Strait, pastor of the Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church: the Rev. Reuben J. Davis, pastor of the Arlington Heights Baptist Church, and the Rev. Harold L. Stratton. pas-tor of the Park Avenue Congregational Church, Arlington Heights.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Charles W. Bunker, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1900, 1901; Memorial
- Donald R. Denning, Jr., Grand Marshal 2002-2004, Senior Grand Warden 2005
- Charles D. Harrington, DDGM, District 6 (Arlington), 1955, 1956; N
- R. Walter Hilliard, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1909, 1910; Memorial
- Archie M. Howland, DDGM, District 6 (Arlington), 1931, 1932; N
- Samuel Crocker Lawrence, Senior Grand Marden 1870, Grand Master 1881-1883
- Paul F. Miller, DDGM, District 6 (Arlington), 1989, 1990, 1992
- Edward R. Nicoll, DDGM, District 6 (Arlington), 1969, 1970; N
- William E. Parmenter, DDGM, District 11, 1865; SN
- Jesse Pattee, Junior Grand Warden 1861
- James Russell, DDGM, District 9, 1821, 1822, 1832; SN
- Edward L. Shinn, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1929, 1930; Memorial
- George W. Storer, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1884, 1885; Junior Grand Warden 1886
- Albigence W. Fisher; Memorial
- William H. Guid; Memorial
- Jonathan Harrington; Memorial
- Allen Hinckley; Memorial
- Benjamin F. Nourse, Biography
- Joshua A. Swan; Memorial
- Levi P. Thompson; Memorial
- George S. Towle; Memorial
- Gershom Whittemore; Memorial
The curator for this page is Brother Alan Jones. Please direct informational updates and questions to him.