- 1 RUSSELL LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
Chartered By: Dudley M. Ferrell
Charter Date: 03/12/1924 1924-38
Precedence Date: 05/04/1922
- Edward T. Erickson, 1923, 1924
- Roger P. Eaton, 1925
- Edward L. Shinn, 1926, 1927; Mem
- Albert H. Morris, 1928, 1929
- Ralph Simonds, 1930, 1931
- Haskell Reed, 1932, 1933
- Ernest R. Moore, 1934, 1935
- Benjamin F. Hickey, 1936
- Arthur Sampson, 1937, 1938
- Curtis B. Forbes, 1939
- Harold Edwards, 1940, 1941; N
- John N. Mark, 1942
- Warren H. Daniels, 1943
- David A. Barr, 1944
- Earl S. Lewis, 1945
- Ward F. Chick, 1946
- Harold E. Meyer, 1947
- Russell T. Hamlet, 1948
- Charles W. Skinner, 1949
- Clifford B. Keyes, 1950
- E. Stanley Beck, 1951; N
- Theodore Lannefeld, 1952
- Walter C. Hellmann, 1953
- Warner J. Clifford, 1954
- Herbert O. Alderson, 1955
- Haskell W. Reed, 1956
- Mortimer French, 1957; N
- Maynard Sears, 1958
- Harold L. Martin, 1959
- Robert Stephenson, 1960
- Donald F. Green, 1961
- Frank A. Travers, 1962
- Loring E. Trott, 1963
- Roy G. Milley, 1964
- Robert J. Nichols, 1965
- Robert F. Glines, 1966
- Merwin E. Chandler, 1967; N
- Albert E. Jefferson, 1968
- Peter A. Hayes, 1969
- Robert S. Swift, 1970
- Stanley S. Locke, 1971
- Theodore Tsakirgis, 1972
- Robert K. Porter, 1973
- Richard S. Cooke, 1974
- George Tsakirgis, 1975, 1981
- Thomas E. Ray, 1976
- Merville E. Nichols, 1977
- James K. Ray, 1978; PDDGM
- John G. Ray, 1979
- Sylvester M. Wrenn, Jr., 1980
- Manuel F. Sopas, Jr., 1982
- Francis G. Baumgardner, 1983
- William N. P. Crockett, 1984, 1985
- Leonard E. LaRue, 1986
- Carleton W. Crockett, 1987
- C. Leslie Frederick, 1988
- Larcom McIntosh, Jr., 1989
- John W. Crockett, 1990
- Vahan H. Kouyoumjian, 1991
- Gustav W. Swanson, 1992
- Frank P. Foster, Jr., 1993
- Alexander A. Bird, 1994
- J. Anthony Mick, 1995, 1996, 2002
- Alan H. Jones, 1997; DDGM
- Roy E. Baker, 1998
- Francis G. Baumgardner, 1999, 2000
- Alan H. Jones, 2001
- Robert E. Palmer, Jr., 2003, 2004
- Mark A. Tabbert, 2005
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1923
- Petition for Charter: 1924
- Consolidation Petition (with John Abbot-Samuel Crocker Lawrence and Hiram Lodges): 2004
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1924 (Ferrell; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication); Meeting Places Address
- 1948 (Keith; 25th Anniversary, Special Communication)
- 1973 (Vose; 50th Anniversary, Special Communication)
- 1975 (Maxwell)
- 1983 (Berquist)
- 1984 (Richardson)
- 1987 (Ames)
- 2004 (Hicks; Consolidation, Special Communication)
- 1925 (Meeting Places of the Freemasons of Arlington, 1925-260)
- 1948 (25th Anniversary History, 1948-89; see below)
- 1973 (50th Anniversary History, 1973-99)
25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, JUNE 1948
From Proceedings, Page 1948-89:
By Worshipful Albert H. Morris.
Russell Lodge was instituted June 13, 1923, and was constituted May 2, 1924, and now, on June 9, 1948, we are celebrating twenty-five years of service.
After World War I it became apparent to a number of Masons in Hiram Lodge of Arlington that a new Lodge should be organized to relieve the accumulating burdens then being placed on the shoulders of Hiram Lodge. These Brothers therefore presented a petition to Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell, signed by 112 Masons, asking that a new Lodge be instituted in Arlington and that its name be Russell Lodge; and further, that Worshipful Brother Edward T. Erickson be named as its first Master. Right Worshipful Brother Fred L. Moses, then District Deputy Grand Master of the 6th Masonic District, was disposed kindly to this project, and after the usual number of conferences, the petitioners and Right Worshipful Brother Moses met in the apartments of Hiram Lodge, Massachusetts Avenue and Medford Street, Arlington, at 7:45 p.m., June 13, 1923, and formally instituted Russell Lodge by order of Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, and did name Worshipful Edward T. Erickson as Worshipful Master, Worshipful Roger P. Eaton as Senior Warden, and Brother Edward L. Shinn as Junior Warden.
After the reading of the dispensation, the Worshipful Master announced his appointments, and Right Worshipful Brother Moses then proceeded to install the officers in their respective stations, after which the District Deputy Grand Marshal issued the proclamation and Russell Lodge was a reality U. D.
On this first recorded meeting, seven applications for the degrees were received, and on the following regular communication of September 12th, Brother Arthur William Crampton was the first candidate elected for the degrees. He is still with us and active. One cannot say enough in praise of the way and manner Worshipful Brother Erickson guided and moulded us into a splendid working unit.
We continued to meet at the old Masonic Apartments on Massachusetts Avenue until March 20, 1924, when the building was destroyed by fire. Thereafter, we held our meetings in the Cambridge Masonic Temple until we moved into the new Arlington Temple, where we held our first meeting September 9, 1925.
On May 2, 1924, Russell Lodge was constituted by Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell in the Masonic Temple in Boston. The Constitution was preceded by a dinner attended by 310 members and guests, including the Grand Lodge Officers. Our membership at this time was 117; today it is over 400.
It is interesting to note that at this time, as evidence of the truly Masonic spirit that has always prevailed in the Sixth District, the first regalia of our Lodge was presented by the other Lodges of the District. Presentation was made by Worshipful Brother Lincoln P. Sibley, Master of King Solomon's Lodge, the oldest in the District.
During the life of our Lodge, the Grand Masters have been pleased to honor Russell Lodge through the appointments of Right Worshipful Edward L. Shinn and Right Worshipful Harold D. Edwards as District Deputies, and Worshipful Arthur W. Sampson was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for his contribution to Masonry.
Special mention should be made of our first Secretary, Worshipful Francis J. Whilton, who continued in that office until the Lodge was well organized. On September 9, 1930, he retired, and in recognition of his labors for the Lodge, was voted Honorary Membership.
And now, my Brethren, may we pause for a moment in loving memory of our three Past Masters who have gone to their reward: Worshipful Edward T. Erickson, Right Worshipful Edward L. Shinn and Worshipful Haskell Reed. We know that our lives have been enriched because we knew them.
In the twenty-five years of its existence, Russell Lodge has had its ups and downs, its progress, its slowing-down due to general conditions, but it has always endeavored to maintain the high ritualistic standard established by its founders throughout the years. We feel that Russell Lodge has maintained an atmosphere of friendliness and warmheartedness which has given practical meaning to our understanding and interpretation of Masonry. Many of our visitors have been kind enough to remark about it. We hope that it has become a Russell Lodge tradition.
Throughout good and lean years, the attendance of the members of the Lodge has been an inspiration to the various presiding Masters. Whether there have been small or large classes, special features or simply a regular meeting with one candidate, the membership has shown tremendous and enthusiastic support. With such continual support, Russell Lodge can look confidently forward to the years ahead.
Long live Russell Lodge!
The foregoing has been written by Worshipful Albert H. Morris, who modestly has omitted any mention of the tremendous assistance and cooperation given by him to all Masters and to the Lodge. Without his untiring service, it is highly doubtful if Russell Lodge would have progressed so favorably. He has been an inspiration to us all!
50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MAY 1973
From Proceedings, Page 1973-99:
By Right Worshipful E. Stanley Beck.
In the year 1922, when Masonry in the Town of Arlington was growing rapidly in numbers, it became obvious that the organization of a second Lodge within the town was highly desirable. On September 7th of that year, action in Hiram Lodge was initiated to establish the new Lodge. It was voted that a Committee of seven members of Hiram be appointed to petition the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts for a dispensation for holding a new Lodge within the jurisdiction of Hiram Lodge. This Committee, with Wor. Frederick W. Damon, Chairman, presented to Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell a petition signed by 112 Masons asking that a new Lodge be instituted in Arlington, to be named Russell Lodge, and that Wor. Edward T. Erickson, a Past Master of Hiram Lodge, he appointed as the first Worshipful Master.
The petition was granted and, of the 112 signers, 108 became charter members. On June 13, 1923 Russell Lodge was instituted in the Masonic Apartments at the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Medford Street in Arlington, with R. W. Fred L. Moses, District Deputy Grand Master of the 6th District, presiding. Wor. Bro. Erickson was installed as Master; Wor. Roger P. Eaton, a Past Master of Mount Horeb Lodge, Woburn, was installed Senior Warden and Brother Edward L. Shinn, Junior Warden. Ten of the Charter Members became Worshipful Masters of the Lodge.
Our Lodge was named after R. W. James Russell, a relative of Jason Russell, a name proudly associated with the early civic and Masonic history of Arlington. R. W. Bro. Russell was Master of Hiram Lodge in 1818-20 and 1829-43. In 1821-22 he was District Deputy Grand Master of the then 9th Masonic District, Which included Lodges from Charlestown to Reading, and Needham to Waltham! A stalwart leader, and worthy to have his name perpetuated in an Arlington Lodge.
The first meeting of Russell Lodge, U. D., was held on September 12, 1923, and 7 candidates were elected to receive the degrees, Brother Arthur William Crampton being the first candidate so honored.
On March 20, 1924 the Masonic Apartments in Arlington were destroyed by fire, and our April meeting was omitted. Such a disaster so early in the life of a lodge, imposes an extremely heavy burden. That Russell Lodge successfully recovered from this great trouble is due to the skillful handling of Lodge affairs by Wor. Bro. Erickson and his officers. The May, 1924 meeting was held in the Masonic Apartments of Sagamore Lodge in West Medford; thereafter meetings were held in the Cambridge Masonic Temple until the new Arlington Temple was built and ready for occupancy in September, 1925.
Russell Lodge was constituted on May 2, 1924 by Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell, Grand Master, in the Masonic Temple in Boston. (1924 Mass. 64-68) The ceremony was preceded by a dinner attended by 310 members and guests, including the Grand Lodge officers. At this meeting the first Officers' regalia of our Lodge was presented by the other Lodges of the District, the presentation being made by the Master of King Solomon's Lodge. At that time the membership was 117.
Our Lodge weathered the depression years of the thirties successfully, and continued to grow in membership, and on May 9, 1934, during the term of Wor. Ernest R. Moore, we celebrated our tenth anniversary. The original officers of the Lodge were present at that meeting, and took their respective stations during the evening. Fifty-four Charter members also were present and responded to the roll-call. The Lodge membership was 232.
The years following our "Tenth" saw Russell Lodge gain in numbers and prestige. Many prominent townmen: businessmen, educators, clergy, became members through the degrees, or by affiliation. Immediately following World War II, Masonry's high ideals attracted large numbers of applicants. In 1946-47 fifty-six candidates were raised, and Wor. Harold E. Meyer and his officers missed many dinners at home.
In 1948, our Lodge celebrated its Twenty-fifth Anniversary. A church service was held on the evening of June 6th at the First Parish (Unitarian) Church at which our own Past Master, Wor. and Rev. John Nicol Mark preached the sermon. The Anniversary ceremony was held on June 9th at the Arlington Masonic Temple. The Grand Master, Most Worshipful Roger Keith, presided in the East during the ceremony. (1948 Mass. 86-91) The membership had now grown to 427. The Officers of the Lodge at the time of this observance were:
- Russell R. Hamlet, Worshipful Master
- Charles W. Skinner, Senior Warden
- Clifford B. Keyes, Junior Warden
- Arthur W. Sampson, Treasurer
- Albert H. Morris, Secretary
- Richard T. Broeg, Chaplain
- John Nicol Mark, Associate Chaplain
- Terry Shuman, Marshal
- E. Stanley Beck, Senior Deacon
- Theodore E. Lannefeld, Junior Deacon
- Walter C. Hellmann, Senior Steward
- Warner J. Clifford, Junior Steward
- Herbert O. Alderson, Inside Sentinel
- Bertram F. Whipple, Organist
- Albert W. Farley, Tyler
As time marched on, Russell Lodge continued to prosper, and to labor in the ways of Masonic tradition. We recall with much pleasure our many delightful Ladies Nights which expanded our social associations. And those Christmas parties for our children which we hosted with Hiram Lodge. Our membership grew to a peak of 500 in 1960-62 despite losses for the usual various reasons.
In 1963, Russell Lodge sent a delegation of Officers to join with other Lodges in the Sixth District to represent Masonry in the Parade in Lexington to celebrate the 250th Anniversary of that town. This was a rare occasion, for public appearances of our Craft, once so prominent in civic activities, are now seldom observed.
On June 15, 1963, under special dispensation from the Most Worshipful Grand Masters of Massachusetts and Maine, a Special Communication of Russell Lodge was held at Nollesemic Lodge, No. 205 in Millinocket, Maine. This occasion was a Fraternal Visitation by R. W. Richard P. Nyquist, D. D. G. M. of the Somerville Sixth District, attended by a group of 27 members of Russell Lodge, with other notable Masons to grace the festivities. Wor. Loring E. Trott and the Officers of Russell Lodge exemplified the Massachusetts Master Mason degree as the work of the evening for the edification of our Maine brethren, employing our District Deputy Grand Master and his Marshal and Secretary to fill the gates. Wor. Bro. Trott's father, Wor. Walter E. Trott, was a Past Master of Nollesemic Lodge at that time.
Travel to and from the wilds of Maine was by chartered bus, and was not without incident. En route it was discovered that the cost of transportation had somehow increased; no one was exempted. Much hilarity erupted over something to do with a certain cigarette lighter. At Twin Lakes, Maine, during a stop for rest and refreshment, some sought relief from the oppressive heat of the noonday sun by impromptu aquatics in the cool waters.
Our hosts provided Masonic refreshment, and much fraternal enjoyment. Visits were made to the Great Northern Paper mill, and an alleged "moose hunt" was included in this rigorous safari. Some of the Arlington craftsmen engaged in aeronautical pursuits at the local airport; others, before low-twelve, were welcomed by brethren of another fraternal order at their club, and entertained most pleasingly. This was one of Russell Lodge's most notable Communications, and all are agreed that the bonds of fraternal companionship were enhanced by it.
Locally, some of our activities have included an ecumenical endeavor, together with Hiram Lodge, with Arlington Council, Knights of Columbus. A dinner meeting was held on April 26, 1968 in the Town Hall. This was a stag affair and was well attended. On May 3, 1969 a similar affair was held in the K. of C. Hall, which included the ladies. Arlington Lodges can look forward to more of these social events. At this point in our history, it seems proper to review and record some of the outstanding phases of our Lodge: some pertinent activities and accomplishments of our members. It is not possible to include mention of every individual who contributed to the welfare and success of Russell Lodge but pleasant memories will be recalled as we enumerate some of the relationships the passage of time has brought about. In the 50 years of our Lodge, 965 Masons have become members, either through the degrees or by affiliation. We honor these brethren tonight. Those who have entered into the Celestial Lodge above leave fond remembrances of their Masonic associations with us. Some 200 of our members live at distances too far to afford frequent attendance with us; to these we give the travelers salutation: "Wish you were here." At this writing, our membership stands at 416.
Charter Members. As has been noted heretofore, there were 108 brethren recorded under this category, of which two are still with us: Wor. Roger P. Eaton and Wor. Arthur W. Sampson. We hail these brethren and their departed associates, for they are the very life blood of our organization.
50-year Members. Longevity often brings some form of recog nition and acclaim. In our Craft it is represented by the award of a Veterans Medal. Twenty-six of our members have attained t his mark of distinction, 17 of whom are now living:
- Wor. Roger P. Eaton, 61 years
- Bro. Donald D. Simonds, 61 years
- Bro. John O. Matthews, 59 years
- Bro. Harold M. Dorley, 57 years
- R. W. Harold W. Edwards, 55 years
- Bro. John T. Mellen, 55 years
- Wor. Arthur W. Sampson, 55 years
- Bro. Victor W. Ellis, 55 years
- Wor. John Nicol Mark, 53 years
- Bro. Ernest Benshimol, 52 years
- Bro. J. Clark Wyman, 52 years
- Wor. Walter C. Hellmann, 52 years
- Bro. Carl D. Richardson, 52 years
- Bro. William S. Patterson, 52 years
- Wor. Harold E. Myer, 52 years
- Bro. Stanley H. Evans, 50 years
- Bro. Warren B. Calley, 50 years
In the East. In our 50 years, Russell Lodge has had 42 pre siding Masters of which 32 are now living. From this illustrious group, Grand Masters have honored our Lodge hy the appoint ment of four to the high office of District Deputy Grand Master:
- Right Worshipful Edward L. Shinn, 1929-30
- Right Worshipful Harold W. Edwards, 1941-43
- Right Worshipful E. Stanley Beck, 1952-53
- Right Worshipful Mortimer A. French, 1970-71
Lodge of Instruction, In 1928, the 13th Lodge of Instruction was organized in the Sixth District, and Russell Lodge was called upon to provide Masters for that endeavor in those early years:
- Wor. Albert H. Morris, 1931-32
- Wor. Ralph M. Simonds, 1933-34
- R. W. Harold W. Edwards, 1943-44
- Wor. Warren H. Daniels, 1948-49
The virtues and accomplishments of the Past Masters of our Lodge have escaped the notice of the 13th L. of I. ever since! A few more individual mentions are in order before we close the pages of memorabilia:
Wor. Albert H. Morris, our first Senior Deacon, was raised in John Abbott Lodge in 1914, and affiliated with Russell Lodge as a Charter Member. He was Worshipful Master in 1927-29, became Secretary in 1930 and served in that capacity for 19 years. His genial personality and untiring service to Masonry and to Russell Lodge endeared him to every member of the Craft. He served Grand Lodge as Junior Grand Steward in 1935, and was elected an Honorary Member of Russell Lodge in 1954. In January, 1964 while Brother Al was confined in a hospital with what proved to be a terminal illness, the D. D. G. M. of the Sixth District, R. W. Robert W. Custance, accompanied by a group of our members, visited him and presented him with his 50 year Veteran's Medal.
Wor. Arthur W. Sampson, a Charter Member, was Worshipful Master in 1936-38. He is also an Honorary Member. He was honored in Grand Lodge in 1945 by appointment as Grand Standard Bearer, a position often filled by former Governor of Massachusetts, R.W. Leverett Saltonstall, and in 1944 he was awarded the Joseph Warren Medal for outstanding service to Masonry in World War II. He held a position as Trustee in our Lodge for 26 years, and also served as Treasurer for 12 years. His frequent attendance at Lodge meetings is an inspiration to all, for Wor. Bro. Arthur is a senior member at 85.
Wor. Roger P. Eaton, our second Master, was raised in Mount Horeb Lodge, Woburn, in 1911. He was Master of that Lodge in 1920, and thus has attained the rare distinction of being a 50-year Past Master. He is also an Honorary Member, and received his Veteran's Medal in 1961. He celebrated his "61st Masonic anniversary last November, and observed his 85th birthday last week — May 12, 1973.
Wor. Henry E. Castellon, our Secretary since 1962, was raised in Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge in 1926. He affiliated with Russell Lodge in 1945. For 11 years it was his usual custom at Lodge meetings to enter the electrician's sanctum and there offer up his talents at the control of the lighting system. As our Secretary he has earned the admiration of the Lodge by his meticulous attention to the records and to Lodge business. He affiliated with Soley Lodge and became irs Master in 1969. He is President of the Arlington Masonic Temple Association, serving that office since 1963.
There are, of course, many Brethren of our Lodge who have contributed significantly to its success, and its standing in the Arlington Masonic community. We salute all those who carried the burdens in the early days: the unfamiliar functions of a new Lodge; the financing of a new Temple; maintaining the Lodge morale when interest waned and candidates were few. And those who responded to calls of Masters to serve the Lodge on committees and blood programs — history does not record the names of all, but recognizes the worthiness of their deeds.
It may be said that the past is prelude to the future, and that history is a portrayal to which may be added the things to come. If such be the case, our Lodge faces the years ahead confident that our Masonic future is secure; that the foundation is firmly established and the superstructure is sound. We are fortunate in our close fraternal associations in our town ; and, with our brother Lodges— Hiram and Freedom — we head bravely along the path prepared for us fifty years ago. We are proud of the fact that our Temple is the home of those of kindred minds: Menotomy Royal Arch Chapter; the 13th Lodge of Instruction ; Eastern Star ; Rainbow Girls; DeMolay Boys; the Daughters of the Nile. It is a beehive of Masonic activity.
Our nation will celebrate its bicentennial in 1976. In those two hundred years the United States of America has grown in wealth and power — a leader among the nations of the world. Masonry has played a tremendous part in this segment of world history. Brother George Washington, while leading the nation's armies, relied on Masons for positions of trust, and as first president, was widely acclaimed for his Masonic posture. Many of the nation's prominent citizens have been Masons, and the records are replete with their accomplishments. But now there are times of turmoil and dissent in our fair land. Foreign and domestic quarrels rule the news and adversely affect our lives. Moral decay and the appalling disregard for human values are apparent everywhere in the world. It is now, more than ever before, that the Landmarks of Masonry, and the tenets of our profession stand forth clearly as a guide for the conduct of all men. Let us resolve together that our high ideals will not yield to satanic powers of destruction.
Thus we come to the closing days of our first fifty years. May tomorrow be a propitious beginning our our second half-century.
- 1924 (Participation in Arlington temple cornerstone laying, 1924-410)
- 1925 (Participation in Arlington temple dedication, 1925-258)
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- E. Stanley Beck, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1952, 1953; N
- Merwin E. Chandler, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1982, 1983; N
- Harold W. Edwards, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1943, 1944; N
- Mortimer A. French, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1970, 1971; N
- Alan H. Jones, DDGM, District 3, 2019, 2020
- James K. Ray, 2000, 2001; Senior Grand Warden 2008
- Edward L. Shinn, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1929, 1930; Memorial
- Roy G. Milley, Biography
The curator for this page is Brother Alan Jones. Please direct informational updates and questions to him.