- 1 QUITTACUS LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
Location: New Bedford
Chartered By: Arthur D. Prince
Charter Date: 12/14/1921 1921-448
Precedence Date: 01/13/1921
- George E. Allen, 1921, 1922
- L. Theodore Woolfenden, 1923, 1924; N
- Harry A. Chace, 1925
- A. Martin P. Habicht, 1926
- Walter P. Morton, 1927
- Harold M. Davis, 1928
- Mark F. Lamond, 1929
- Edwin H. Macy, 1930
- Oscar G. Fricker, 1931
- Albert M. Chace, 1932
- James H. Nelson, 1933
- Rae K. Taber, 1934
- Frank E. England, 1935
- Wendell M. Hardy, 1936
- John W. Ruggles, 1937; SN
- Ambrose Peters, 1938
- Andrew P. Lonergan, 1939
- William C. Vander, 1940
- William S. Holmes, Jr., 1941
- Paul G. Covill, 1942
- Joseph Dawson, Jr., 1943
- Charles F. Bennett, 1944
- George L. Wheeler, 1945
- L. Robert Yaeger, 1946
- Ernest B. Mello, 1947
- Albert Barber, 1948
- Edward S. Glica, 1949
- Charles B. Bickerstaff, 1950
- Everett C. Bates, 1951
- Harold C. Cunningham, 1952, 1953
- Thomas J. Taft, 1954
- Walter Ibbotson, Jr., 1955
- Harvey Cardinal, 1956
- Robert Porter, Jr., 1957
- John Rowand, 1958
- Robert W. Cook, 1959
- Hugh Green, 1960
- John Cassidy, 1961
- James J. Tripp, 1962
- James P. Warbasse, Jr., 1963; SN
- Eugene J. Krenmayer, 1964, 1965
- Eugene W. Chadwick, 1966
- 'Frederick C. Sylvia, Jr., 1967
- Ernest Campos, Jr., 1968
- David G. Hughes, 1969, 1970
- Harold L. Gerard, 1971
- Earle W. Cooper', 1972, 1973
- Lawrence D. Crocker, 1974, 1976; SN
- Thomas H. Dugan, 1975
- Harry C. Rogers, 1977-1979
- Harold C. Cunningham, Jr., 1980
- John E. Cottrill, 1981-1985, 1988, 1989; PDDGM
- Mark E. White, 1986
- William R. Turner, 1987
- Gerald F. Huston, Sr., 1990, 1991
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1921
- Petition for Charter: 1921
- Consolidation Petition (with Eureka Lodge): 1990
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1922 (Prince; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication)
- 1946 (Wragg; 25th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1966 (Booth; installation)
- 1971 (Jaynes; 50th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1991 (Darling; Consolidation; Special Communication)
- 1946 (25th Anniversary History, 1946-41; see below)
- 1971 (50th Anniversary History, 1971-472; see below)
- 2008 (Notes in 150th Anniversary History of Quittacus Lodge, 2008-67; see below)
25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, JANUARY 1946
From Proceedings, Page 1946-41:
In the summer of 1920 a number of Past Masters and other Brethren deciding there was room for another Masonic Lodge in the City, prepared a petition asking the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge in Boston to grant them a dispensation to start a Lodge.
A number of the signers to that petition met in the Masonic Hall in Pleasant Street August 26, 1920, and organized to form a Lodge. Worshipful Henry W. Mason was elected Chairman and Worshipful Charles S. Coombs, Secretary. It was decided to name the Lodge "Universal," and that the first three officers under dispensation would be Past Masters George E. Allen, Master; William Bliss, Senior Warden; and L. Theodore Woolfenden, Junior Warden.
It was also voted that a meeting be held August 31, 1920, at the same place at eight o'clock, at which time the District Deputy Grand Master for the 30th Masonic District would be contacted. It was further voted that the Secretary should notify signers to the petition for a dispensation who were not present at that meeting. Those present were Past Masters Gerard W. Bragg, Henry W. Mason, Edward C. Mosher, Lauchlan W. Murray, Frederick W. Brightman, John L. G. Jason, Peleg W. Sherman, Daniel W. Cory, George E. Allen, L. Theodore Woolfenden, William H. Waterman, Henry T. Phillips, William Bliss and Charles S. Coombs. Of the fourteen who were present at the first meeting, eleven since died. At the meeting August 31, 1920, Wor. George E. n presided and R. W. Henry W. Ashworth, District Deputy Grand Master of the 30th District, was present. It was voted at least fifty signers be obtained on the petition for the new Lodge. Frank E. Habicht was elected Treasurer and Charles S. Coombs, Secretary. R. W. Brother Ashworth stated that there another "Universal" Lodge in the State and it would be better to select some other name. On motion of Wor. Charles S. Coombs, it was voted to call it Quittacus, named from the large ponds from which New Bedford receives its excellent drinking water.
On January 24, 1921, the proposed officers for the new Lodge met in Masonic Hall and drew up a set of motions to be acted on at the next meeting. This was called for January 27, 1921. There were present thirty-five signers of the petition for the new Lodge. At 8:10 p.m., R. W. Stephen H. Taylor, District Deputy Grand Master for the 30th District, accompanied by Wor. Elton S. Wilde as his Marshal, assumed the East and read the dispensation, which had been granted the petitioners by Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, giving authority to the petitioners to hold a Lodge in New Bedford under the name of "Quittacus" and to make Freemasons therein, according to the Ancient Customs.
The dispensation bore the date of January 15, 1921. The District Deputy Grand Master directed the District Grand Marshal to conduct the Worshipful Master and Wardens to their respective stations. He then asked the Worshipful Master to name the appointed officers and they, with the Treasurer and Secretary, assumed their stations. The Grand Marshal made the official proclamation and Quittacus Lodge U. D. was ready to do business. The first officers were as follows:
- Wor. George E. Allen, Master
- Wor. William Bliss, Senior Warden
- Wor. L. Theodore Woolfenden, Junior Warden
- Wor. Lauchlan W. Murray, Marshal
- Wor. Frederick W. Brightman, Chaplain
- Bro. Harry A. Chace, Senior Deacon
- Bro. A. Martin P. Habicht, Junior Deacon
- Bro. Walter P. Morton, Senior Steward
- Bro. Robert F. Reid, Junior Steward
- Bro. Harold M. Davis, Inside Sentinel
- Bro. George E. Gregson, Organist
- Bro. James Slater, Tyler
The Lodge was opened on the Third Degree in due form. It was voted that the initiation fee would be $75.00, $15.00 to accompany the petition and $20.00 for each degree. It was also voted that each Charter Member would be assessed $10.00, to include the first year's dues of $4.00.
It was voted that the Treasurer be paid $25.00 and the Secretary $100.00 for their services for the first year. The Organist was to be paid the same as other Lodges were paying. $25.00 was appropriated to pay for the dispensation. Thirteen petitions for the degrees were received and referred. The District Deputy called attention to the Washington Memorial Fund and hoped the Lodge would pay $1.00 each for its members, making 100%, which it has done.
The second regular communication of Quittacus Lodge U.D. was held February 24, 1921. All officers were present- with 20 members and 13 visitors. At this meeting, nine petitions were received and referred. Worshipful Edward W. Bragg was elected Proxy to the Grand Lodge. It was also voted that the Worshipful Master and Wardens buy such regalia as they deemed necessary and proper for the Lodge. The Lodge was then called to labor on the First Degree and the following were separately introduced and initiated Entered Apprentices: Edwin Franklin Tripp, Shirley Bancroft Allen, Ermon Packard Bragg, Edward Everett Clarke and James Wentworth Tripp.
At the regular communication April 28, 1921, it was voted that the three first officers of this Lodge, with the Brother holding the position as Hall Committee, shall be and are hereby appointed to serve with the corresponding officers of the other Masonic organizations as an Advisory Committee in the selection of a location for and the planning and erection of a contemplated Masonic Temple to be built by an Association composed of Free and Accepted Masons of New Bedford. Quittacus Lodge agreed to hold all its communications in said Temple as soon after its completion as suitable arrangements could be made, and also agreed to pay its proportional part of the running expenses and maintenance of said Temple, provided that all the Masonic Bodies now under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts and other Grand Bodies recognized by said Grand Lodge, should vote to be bound by a like agreement. It was voted to appropriate $500.00 toward the new Masonic Temple.
At the regular communication September 22, 1921, a letter was read from the clerk of the New Bedford Masonic Temple Corporation, stating that $8,000.00 was needed to complete the purchase of the land for the proposed Temple. On motion, it was voted unanimously to appropriate $500.00.
At the special communication October 26, 1921, at the close of the work, R. W. Stephen H. Taylor, District Deputy Grand Master, presented a certificate from the George Washington Memorial Association certifying that Quittacus Lodge U .D. had paid One Dollar per member toward the Memorial Fund. He expressed his pleasure at witnessing the work of the Lodge officers and said he brought the best wishes of the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Arthur D. Prince. Five candidates had been initiated and two passed. On January 19, 1922, at 4:15 p.m., the officers of Quittacus Lodge U. D. assembled to meet the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Arthur D. Prince, and other members of the Grand Lodge who were to perform the Constitution Ceremonies in the evening. They were met at the depot on the arrival of the 5:19 train from Boston and taken by auto to the Masonic apartments on Pleasant Street. They, with all the Brothers who had been worked in Quittacus Lodge while under dispensation, together with invited guests to the number of 165, sat down to a splendid dinner. After the dinner, M.W. Grand Master Prince and these officers assumed the chairs and performed the beautiful and impressive Constitution Ceremonies. These Grand Lodge Officers were:
- M. W. Arthur D. Prince, Grand Master
- R. W. Dudley H. Ferrell, Deputy Grand Master
- R. W. Herbert W. Dean, Senior Grand Warden
- R. W. Olin D. Dickerman, Junior Grand Warden
- R. W. William Ridings, Past Junior Grand Warden
- R. W. Charles H. Ramsay, Grand Treasurer
- R. W. Frederick W. Hamilton, Grand Secretary
- R. W. Stephen H. Taylor, D. D. G. Master, Dist. No. 30
- R. W. Frank W. Dobson, Grand Marshal
- Wor. Rev. Harry A. Thompson, Senior Grand Deacon
- Wor. Arthur L. Beals, Junior Grand Deacon
- Wor. Frank H. Hilton, Grand Sword Bearer
- Wor. Walter A. Ladd, Grand Standard Bearer
- Wor. George W. Chester, Grand Tyler
At the conclusion of the ceremonies, the Grand Secretary read the names of the Charter Members from the new Charter and all took positions at the west of the Altar. All officers who had served Quittacus Lodge U. D. were duly installed, with one exception — Brother Mark F. Lammond was installed Marshal in place of Wor. Lauchlan W. Murray.
The Grand Chaplain read the charge to the officers and members of the Lodge, which the M. W. Grand Master stated were charges prepared by Paul Revere, and all of the ceremonies were in accordance with the Ancient Customs and Usages of the Grand Lodge. The Grand Marshal made the official proclamation and Quittacus Lodge became the baby Lodge in Massachusetts. The Most Worshipful Grand Master made a very impressive and informing address and then retired with the Grand Officers.
After the Grand Officers retired, the Lodge was happily surprised by Worshipful Daniel Stephenson, Master of Eureka Lodge, who presented Quittacus Lodge with a beautiful set of Working Tools; Worshipful Clarence P. Jenney, Master of Star in the East Lodge, presented a set of black and white rods; Worshipful Alfred P. Wilbur, Master of Paskamansett Lodge, presented a finely bound edition of the Bible; Worshipful Charles R. Gidley, Master of Abraham H. Howland Lodge, presented a fine Gavel, suitably inscribed. These gifts were presented in a gracious manner and showed the goodwill of the Lodges toward the new Lodge.
The Worshipful Master of Quittacus Lodge thanked them for the useful gifts on behalf of the officers and members, and assured them that the members of these Lodges would always be welcome to visit Quittacus Lodge. He called for a rising vote of thanks, which was given with a hearty good will.
Thus Quittacus Lodge began her first twenty-five year voyage. While under dispensation, it held twelve regular and thirty-five special communications, sometimes working candidates after the regular business was finished. So many candidates were accepted that it was necessary to work five each time, and often two degrees were worked in one evening. Fifty-two were made Master Masons and twenty others received the First or Second Degrees. For the seventy-two initiated, a sum of $360.00 was paid the Grand Lodge. Thirty-seven petitions for the degrees were rejected.
The first report to the Grand Lodge since the Lodge was chartered showed a membership of 162.
During Worshipful L. Theodore Woolfenden's term as Master, the Worshipful Master and officers of Mayflower Lodge of Middleboro made a visit to Quittacus Lodge and worked the Master Mason Degree on four candidates, with forty-eight members of their Lodge being present. They were cordially received by Worshipful Brother Woolfenden and Worshipful Brother Thomas responded very graciously and said he had arranged for the officers and members of Quittacus Lodge to come to Mayflower Lodge on May 20th and work the same degree on their candidates. His offer was accepted with much applause, and it has been an annual event, looked forward to each year since, and a splendid fellowship between these two Lodges has existed to this day.
On April 11, 1927, Quittacus Lodge opened without form in a room adjacent to Doric Hall in the new Temple on County Street, then joined with the other Lodges and witnessed the ceremonies of dedication of the new Temple by Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson, Grand Master, assisted by the Grand Lodge Officers.
On April 14, 1927, Quittacus Lodge held a special communication in the new Temple and worked five candidates on the E .A. Degree.
So Quittacus Lodge has gone forward until it is now celebrating its twenty-fifth anniversary. It has been a very popular Lodge, as shown by the large attendance of its members and the large numbers of visiting Brethren at almost every communication. It has had twenty-five Worshipful Masters, each serving one term, except Worshipful George E. Allen, who served one year under dispensation and eight months and one day under Charter. Past Master John W. Ruggles served two years as District Deputy Grand Master of the (New Bedford) 30th District.
In the second World War, Quittacus Lodge had twenty-eight members on the Roll of Honor, one being killed in action.
During the twenty-five years, four Past Masters have been removed by death, the most recent being our Secretary, who was about to serve Quittacus Lodge for his fifteenth term— Worshipful Brother A. Martin P. Habicht, who died December 7, 1945. Worshipful L. Robert Yaeger appointed Worshipful Harry A. Chace as Acting Secretary during Worshipful Brother Habicht's illness. He was most happy to help out in a most trying situation and is doing a most commendable job.
Quittacus Lodge had a membership of 323, as per the report to Grand Lodge August 31, 1945.
The officers of Quittacus Lodge have been very loyal in filling their stations; also the members on the side line. The work of the officers has been excellent, which I believe is due to the many visits to other Lodges. This is very beneficial to officers to see others perform, as it keeps them on their toes, for all like to do their best before a visiting Lodge. The visits also create a fine fellowship in Masonry. May we have more of these visits between the Lodges in our district and nearby towns.
50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, NOVEMBER 1971
From Proceedings, Page 1971-472:
By Right Worshipful James P. Warbasse, Jr.
Years ago, there were Masons in the New Bedford area, but no Masonic Lodge. Bedford Village had become an entity in 1760, changed its name to New Bedford (lest it be confused with the town of Bedford in Middlesex County), had been incorporated in 1787 and chartered as a city in 1847.
In the early eighteen hundreds, nine Masons decided to form a Masonic Lodge and applied to the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts for a Charter. This was granted on September 3, 1805. The Lodge was named "Washington Remembered. The ravages of the War of 1812 and the subsequent social and economic problems, caused this Lodge to fail. On October 5, 1816, the Charter and Jewels of Washington Remembered Lodge were returned to the Grand Lodge. Once more, in the New Bedford area, there were Masons, but no Masonic Lodge.
After several years, another move was made. Thirty-five Masons signed a petition to Grand Lodge praying that a Lodge be formed and that it be called Star in the East Lodge. A Charter was issued, the Lodge was Instituted on December 10, 1823 and Constituted at appropriate ceremonies on May 27, 1824. For over thirty years, Star in the East Lodge stood alone as New Bedford prospered and grew. Then, in gradual succession came Eureka Lodge in 1857; George H. Taber Lodge of Fairhaven in 1872, and in 1878, Noquochoke Lodge in Westport. All three Lodges had been started primarily by members of Star in the East Lodge. Thus the New Bedford area now had four Masonic Lodges, with two of them located in the city proper.
New Bedford continued to grow. Whaling, which earlier had brought acclaim and eminence to the city, gave way to the burgeoning cotton industry. Thirty-eight years passed before Abraham H. Howland, Jr. Lodge came into being, followed five years later in 1920 by Paskamansett Lodge. World War I was over, the economy was settling down to a peaceful period, and the veterans were returning home to seek new fields of endeavor.
It was felt by some that there was now room in the area, as well as the need, for the formation of still another Masonic Lodge. Initiating the move, Wor. George E. Allen of Star in the East Lodge, met with several other Past Masters in the summer of 1920. It was their plan to petition Grand Lodge for a Dispensation to form and conduct a new Lodge. Soon thereafter, the petitioners were called to meet again. The minutes of that meeting constitute "Page One" in the records of Quittacus Lodge.
"A meeting of signers to a petition for a new Masonic Lodge in New Bedford was held in Masonic Hall, corner of Pleasant and Union Streets, Thursday Evening, August 26, 1920 at eight o'clock. The following signers of the petition were present: Past Masters Edward F. Bragg, Henry W. Mason, Edward C. Mosher, Lauchlin W. Murray, Frederick W. Brightman, John L. G. Mason, Peleg H. Sherman, Daniel W. Cory, George E. Allen, L. Theodore Woolfenden, William H. Waterman, Henry T. Phillips, William Bliss and Charles S. Coombs. On motion Henry W. Mason was elected Chairman and Charles S. Coombs Secretary. Voted—that the new Lodge be called Universal Lodge. Voted—that George E. Allen be its first Master. William Bliss was elected Senior Warden and L. Theodore Woolfenden Junior Warden. Voted—that a meeting be held on Tuesday Evening, August 31, 1920 at eight o'clock to which the District Deputy Grand Master of the 30th Masonic District be invited.
- Voted—that the Secretary notify the signers, who were not present, of the meeting called for August 31, 1920.
- Voted —that the meeting be held in Masonic Hall. There being no further business the meeting was closed.
(Signed) Charles S. Coombs, Secretary."
Eighteen signers to the original petition, as well as Rt. Wor. Henry Ashworth, District Deputy Grand Master, were present at that August 31st meeting. It was voted that at least fifty signers be obtained to the petition for the new Lodge. Frank E. Habicht was elected Treasurer of the proposed new Lodge, and Charles S. Coombs the Secretary. The District Deputy Grand Master stated that, as there already was another Lodge in the State called Universal, it would be better not to call the proposed new Lodge by that name. It was therefore voted, at the suggestion of Charles S. Coombs, Secretary, to name the new Lodge "Quittacus".
The name "Quittacus" is derived from that of the pond at the head of the Mattapoisett River. The original Indian name was "Aqua-tuck-essett". Aqua—meaning head of source; Tuck —meaning stream or river; and Esset—meaning at or near. Thus a free translation of "Quittacus Pond" would be: The pond at the head of the river. Later, Aquatuckesset became Aquittacus, as on some of the early deeds, and in modern times—Quittacus.
There were busy days in the Fall of 1920. The necessary signatures were first obtained to the petition. Then, at a Regular Communication of Eureka Lodge, held on October 1, 1920, it was voted to recommend that a Dispensation be granted to the petitioners. Three days later it was voted, by a majority of the members present at a regular Communication of Star in the East Lodge, that the Dispensation be granted. Similar action was taken by Abraham H. Howland, Jr. Lodge on November 9, 1920. On December 9th, the District Deputy Grand Master, having signed his approval to the petition, mailed it to the Grand Secretary with the following note:
"Dear Sir and R. W. Brother; Enclosed you will find petition for Dispensation for a Lodge to be known as Quittacus Lodge located in New Bedford, also check in payment of the application fee. Fraternally yours, Henry Ashworth, D. D. G. M. 30th Dist."
At the Quarterly Communication of Grand Lodge on December 14th, it was voted to give Quittacus Lodge a Charter. Now at last it was felt that the groundwork had been done, compliance with all requirements had been made, and that there was only smooth sailing ahead. No so! Under date of December 16th, District Deputy Henry Ashworth received the following reply to his note to the Grand Secretary:
"The Most Worshipful Grand Master has asked me to acknowledge receipt of the petition for Quittacus Lodge. He would like to confer with you before signing it. In the meantime, can you have a typewritten list of the names sent to me. It is practically impossible to make out a Dispensation from signatures, as in many cases they are illegible.
Fraternally yours, Frederick Hamilton, Grand Secretary."
Prompt attention was given to this matter. Then Rt. Wor. Stephen Taylor, the newly appointed District Deputy Grand Master for the 30th Masonic District, approved the petition on January 12, 1921. And finally, signed by the Most Worshipful Grand Master on January 15th, a letter of Dispensation was mailed out by the Grand Secretary.
When word was received that the Dispensation had been granted, the proposed officers for the new Lodge met on January 24th and drew up a set of motions to be presented at the next meeting of the petitioners. That most eventful meeting was held in Masonic Hall on Thursday Evening, January 27, 1921 at eight o'clock. Of the 67 petitioners for the new Lodge, 37 were present that evening. Eighteen of them were Past Masters. The records tell us that at 8:10 P.M., Rt. Wor. Stephen Taylor assumed the East. He read the Dispensation which had been granted to the petitioners by Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, giving them authority to hold a Lodge in New Bedford, Mass., under the name and title of "Quittacus", and to make Freemasons therein according to the ancient customs and not otherwise. Past Master George E. Allen was appointed and named to be the first Worshipful Master; Past Master William Bliss the first Senior Warden and Past Master L. Theodore Woolfenden the first Junior Warden. After the District Deputy's Grand Marshal had conducted them to their respective stations, the District Deputy Grand Master called on the Worshipful Master to name his appointed officers. They were: Wor. Frederick W. Brightman, Chaplain; Wor. Lauchlin W. Murray, Marshal; Bro. Harry A. Chace, Senior Deacon; Bro. A. Martin P. Habicht, Junior Deacon; Bro. Walter P. Morton, Senior Steward; Bro. Robert F. Reid, Junior Steward; Bro. Harold M. Davis, Inside Sentinel; Bro. James Slater, Tyler; and (over fifty years later, faithfully serving for the past nine years in his originally appointed station), Bro. George E. Gregson, Organist. The appointed officers, and the previously elected Secretary and Treasurer, assumed their stations. The District Deputy Grand Marshal made the official proclamation, and Quittacus Lodge, U.D., was ready to do business.
Getting right down to work, a Lodge of Master Masons was opened in Due Form, the first Regular Communication of Quittacus Lodge. The motions, drawn up at the previous meeting, were presented and appropriate action taken. Voted— that the initiation fee be seventy-five dollars; Voted—that the Annual Dues be four dollars; Voted—that each Charter Member be assessed ten dollars for the first year, said assessment to include the dues for that year; Voted—that the Regular Communication be held on the fourth Thursday of each month; Voted—-that the Treasurer be paid twenty-five dollars and the Secretary be paid one hundred dollars for their services during the first year; Voted—that the Organist be paid the same amount as in the other Lodges in the city; and Voted—to pay current bills in the amount of $12.23.
The success of a Lodge is dependent upon its membership. The spark of life must continually be nourished by the activities of the officers and brethren, as well as by the addition of new members. At that first Regular Communication, petitions from thirteen applicants were read and referred. Only two of those first thirteen still survive, and I had the distinct pleasure of presenting to each of them, Bro. Charles Henry Thomas, Jr. and Bro. E. Alton Tripp, a Fifty-year Veteran's Medal at a Special Communication last April 22nd. During the first year that Quittacus Lodge was functioning, 129 petitions were received, read and referred. At subsequent balloting, 78 were elected and 51 were rejected. By the time the Secretary's first annual report was read at the Regular Communication of September 28, 1922, there were 162 active members as follows: 57 remaining Charter Members, 101 candidates elected and raised, 3 affiliates, and one Honorary Member. The Secretary, in submitting his report, had among other things this to say: "I herewith submit my first Annual Report of the doings of Quittacus Lodge; and for the baby Lodge of the District, I think she is some lusty infant. The Dispensation was granted on January 15th and the Lodge instituted on January 27th, 1921, so we are now 20 months of age plus one day."
Earlier in 1922 we find a major event. The Officers and Members of Quittacus Lodge, U. D., assembled in Masonic Hall, Thursday, January 19th, in anticipation of meeting the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Arthur D. Prince, and his Suite of Grand Officers at the depot on the arrival of the 5:19 train from Boston. After repairing from the depot to Masonic Hall, the Grand Officers, Lodge Officers, Charter Members, Brethren who had been elected and worked while the Lodge was under Dispensation, and invited guests, sat down to a splendid dinner. After dinner, the Grand Master assumed the East. Assisted by his Grand Officers, a Past Grand Officer and the presiding District Deputy Grand Master for the 30th Masonic District, he conducted the beautiful and impressive Constitution Ceremony. (1922 Mass. 8-11) Participating were the following Right Worshipful Brethren: Herbert W. Dean, Senior Grand Warden; Olin D. Dickerman, Junior Grand Warden; Charles H. Ramsey, Grand Treasurer; Frederick W. Hamilton, Grand Secretary; Harry A. Thompson, Senior Grand Deacon; Arthur L. Beals, Junior Grand Deacon; Frank W. Dobson, Grand Marshal; Rev. Edward A. Chase, Grand Chaplain; Winthrop J. Cushing, Grand Steward; Frank H. Hilton, Grand Sword Bearer; Walter A. Ladd, Grand Standard Bearer; George W. Chester, Grand Tyler; Dudley H. Ferrell, Deputy Grand Master, and Stephen H. Taylor, District Deputy Grand Master.
At the conclusion of the Constitution Ceremonies, all the Charter Members took positions at the West of the altar as their names were read off from the new Charter by the Grand Secretary. Then the officers were installed, each by his corresponding Grand Officer. All of the officers who had served Quittacus Lodge, U. D., were returned to office with one exception; Bro. Mark F. Lamond was installed as Marshal in the place of Wor. Lauchlin W. Murray.
The Grand Chaplain having read the charges to the Officers and Members of the Lodge, the Grand Master pointed out that Paul Revere had prepared those charges and that all of the ceremonies were in accordance with the ancient customs and usages of the Grand Lodge since its inception in the State. The Grand Marshal made the Official Proclamation by which Quittacus Lodge was launched on successful flight; still the youngest Lodge under the jurisdiction of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts, but no longer a fledgling Under Dispensation.
After the Grand Officers had retired, presentation ensued of much needed, as well as most appreciated, gifts from other Lodges in the city. Presented by Wor. Daniel Stephenson, Master of Eureka Lodge, a beautiful set of working tools; by Wor. Clarence P. Jenney, Master of Star in the East Lodge, a set of black and white rods; by Wor. Alfred P. Wilbor, Master of Paskamansett Lodge, a finely bound edition of the revised Bible; and by Wor. Charles R. Gidley, Master of Abraham H. Howland, Jr., Lodge, a handsome gavel, suitably inscribed. Accompanying each gift were expressions of good will towards the new Lodge and words appropriate to each gift. Wor. George E. Allen, Master of Quittacus Lodge, voiced his pleasure and that of the Lodge members at receiving such useful gifts, further expressed by a rising vote of thanks. He gave assurance that all the Brethren of the Lodges that had been so generous would always be welcome in Quittacus Lodge.
Busy were the weeks, months and years that followed. Just one week after the Constitution Ceremonies, 27 petitions were read and referred at the regular Communication. Today, such a number would be unusual. With so many applicants, it was frequently necessary to hold several Special Communications in some months, sometimes with two different degrees being worked at a given meeting.
The first Past Masters Night was held on March 27, 1924. It has been an annual feature ever since. A feature generally enjoyed by the participants, and instructive to the line Officers. It has stimulated interest in the Lodge among the members, particularly when preceded by an enjoyable supper at the Temple for all Master Masons who care to attend.
Another annual feature was initiated on April 30, 1924 by Wor. L. Theodore Woolfenden, the then presiding Master of Quittacus Lodge and Wor. Albert A. Thomas, Master of May Flower Lodge in Middleboro. Accompanied by 48 other officers and members, as well as 51 visitors, Wor. Bro. Thomas came down to Quittacus Lodge. He and his officers did the work of the evening, the Master Mason's Degree on four candidates. Then the following month the officers of Quittacus Lodge reciprocated by working the same degree on candidates at May Flower Lodge. Thus arose, and has continued through the years, a spirit of Fraternity and Fellowship between the two Lodges. In keeping with that spirit, May Flower Lodge presented to Quittacus Lodge a handsome silken State flag at their annual visit in 1926.
For some time, in the middle twenties, the several New Bedford Lodges had been dissatisfied with the available facilities at the Masonic Hall. Pooling their resources, those Lodges initiated a move in 1926 to obtain more satisfactory quarters in which to hold their meetings. After considerable thought, planning and effort, results were achieved. A new Temple, where we find ourselves this evening, was dedicated on April 11, 1927. On that occasion, Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, accompanied by a distinguished Suite of presiding and acting Grand Lodge Officers, was escorted into this very Lodge Room, here to officiate at the Dedication Ceremonies. (1927 Mass. 88-90) Three days later, Quittacus Lodge held its first Special Communication in the new quarters and has continued to use them ever since.
A signal event in the historical course of the Lodge occured on January 24, 1946; for on that day, Quittacus Lodge celebrated its 25th Anniversary. (1946 Mass. 38-47) Lodge was opened, the assembled Brethren repaired to the banquet hall to partake of the Anniversary Dinner, and then returned to the Lodge room. Promptly at eight o'clock, Rt. Wor. Whitfield W. Johnson, Grand Marshal, was escorted in to announce that Most Worshipful Samuel Holmes Wragg was waiting in an adjoining apartment for the purpose of paying a Fraternal Visit to Quittacus Lodge. The Grand Master was accompanied on his Suite by many Grand Lodge Officers. Received by Wor. L. Robert Yaeger, presiding Master, the Grand Master then assumed the East and declared Grand Lodge opened. Wor. George L. Wheeler, presiding Chaplain, was the soloist of the evening and delighted those in attendance with well-chosen vocal selections. According to the records, Wor. Charles S. Coombs, Past Master of Eureka Lodge, Charter Member of Quittacus Lodge, and its first Secretary, then read the history of the Lodge over its first 25 years. Next, the Grand Master, after delivering the Anniversary Address, called on various distinguished guests for appropriate remarks. The entire evening was a tremendous success and greatly enjoyed by the estimated 350 in attendance. At 9:45 P.M., Grand Lodge was closed in Ample Form.
Buckling down to routine activities, Quittacus Lodge has added another 25 years to its history. Charitable efforts have not been neglected; for we have sponsored residents at the Masonic Home in Charlton. The widow of a Quittacus member is there at present. Honors have come to our Lodge. Rt. Wor. John W. Ruggles was raised in this Lodge on February 28, 1924 and served as Worshipful Master in 1936-37. He was the first one to be appointed from Quittacus Lodge as District Deputy Grand Master for the New Bedford 30th Masonic District, officiating in 1942-43. Our revered third Worshipful Master, Rt. Wor. L. Theodore Woolfenden, Past Master of Star in the East Lodge and a Charter Member of Quittacus Lodge, held the same position in 1947-48. Rt. Wor. Fred S. Wordell, Past Master of Star in the East Lodge, currently active in the office of Secretary of that Lodge, likewise a Charter Member of Quittacus Lodge, and well-known for the twinkle in his kindly eyes, served in 1963-64 as District Deputy Grand Master for the New Bedford 30th Masonic District. And for almost a year now that office has been held by your historian.
Sadness has come to our Lodge. In World War II, Quittacus Lodge had 28 members on the Honor Roll, one being killed in action. The ruthless passage of time has laid down 21 of our Past Masters in eternal rest, as well as many loyal members. Among them was Wor. Harry A. Chace who served for over 17 years as Secretary until his untimely death in 1959. His keen, discerning ear and his acid tongue, contributed greatly to the quality of the ritual work in the Lodge during his tenure. Constructive criticism was quick to come, also praise.
We are not a big Lodge, but we are a closely-knit and loyal unit. Membership has gradually grown from around 300 some 30 years ago, to the current level of about 400. Financially, I am told, we are quite solvent. This is in part due to the capable management of our assets by Wor. Wendell M. Hardy, who just this year, at his own request, terminated 34 years of faithful service as our Treasurer. Interest has been stimulated by the Annual Past Masters Night, by an occasional Ladies Night, visits to other Lodges with reciprocal visits in return, and other varied activities.
We look about us today at a strange, almost unreal and disturbed world. In it the Temples of Masonry stand out as fertile oases of hope. Quittacus Lodge now embarks in that world on its second 50 years; ready to accept the challenges that it is bound to meet, strengthened by the high standards that have been established over the years, and with a spirit of reverence before the Supreme Architect. The noble teachings of Masonry have stood the test of time. Thus, ever bearing them in mind, may we go forward helping our Lodge maintain its proud position.
NOTES AT 150TH ANNIVERSARY OF QUITTACUS LODGE, JUNE 2008
From Proceedings, Page 2008-67, address of Rt. Wor. David R. Price, Sr.:
New Bedford continued to grow. Whaling, which earlier had brought acclaim and eminence to the city, gave way to the burgeoning cotton industry. Thirty-eight years passed before Abraham H. Howland Jr., Lodge came into being in 1915, followed five years later in 1920 by Paskamansett Lodge. World War I was over, the economy was settling down to a peaceful period, and the veterans were returning home to seek new fields of endeavor.
It was felt by some that there was now room in the area as well as the need, for the formation of still another Masonic Lodge. Initiating the move, Wor. George E. Allen, of Star in the East Lodge, met with several other Past Masters in the summer of 1920.
"A meeting of signers to a petition for a new Masonic Lodge in New Bedford was held and it was voted that the new Lodge be called Universal Lodge". The District Deputy Grand Master stated that, as there already was another Lodge in the State called Universal, it would be better not to call the proposed new Lodge by that name. It was therefore voted, at the suggestion of Charles S. Coombs, the Secretary, to name the proposed new Lodge, "Quittacus". The name "Quittacus" is derived from that of the pond at the head of the Mattapoisett River. The original Indian name was "Aqua-tuck-essett". Aqua, meaning head or source; Tuck, meaning stream or river; and Esset, meaning at or near. Thus a free translation of "Quittacus Pond" would be: The pond at the head of the river. Later, Aquatuckesset became Aquittacus, as on some of the early deeds, and in modern times, Quittacus.
Earlier in 1922, the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Arthur D. Prince, performed the Constitution Ceremonies.
The Grand Chaplain having read the charges to the Officers and members of the Lodge, the Grand Master pointed out that Paul Revere had prepared those charges, and that all of the ceremonies were in accordance with the ancient customs and usages of the Grand Lodge since its inception in the State. Presentation ensued of much needed, as well as most appreciated, gifts from other Lodges in the city. Presented by Eureka Lodge, a beautiful set of working tools; by Star in the East Lodge, a set of black and white rods; of Paskamansett Lodge, a finely bound edition of the revised Bible; Abraham H. Howland, Jr., Lodge, a handsome gavel, suitably inscribed.
The first Past Masters' Night was held on March 27, 1924. It has been an annual feature ever since.
Another annual feature was initiated on April 30, 1924 by Wor. L. Theodore Woolfenden, the then presiding Master of Quittacus Lodge, and Wor Albert A. Thomas, Master of May Flower Lodge in Middleboro. Accompanied by 48 other Officers and members, as well as by 51 visitors, Wor. Brother Thomas came to Quittacus Lodge. He and his Officers did the work of the evening, then the following month, the Officers of Quittacus Lodge reciprocated at May Flower Lodge. Thus arose, and has continued through the years, a spirit of fraternity and fellowship between the two Lodges.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- George J. P. Breault, DDGM, District 30 (New Bedford), 1999, 2000
- August R. Cote, DDGM, District 30 (New Bedford), 2001, 2002
- Lawrence D. Crocker, DDGM, District 30 (New Bedford), 1985, 1986; SN
- Harold F. Nye, DDGM, District 31 (Nantucket), 1965, 1966; Memorial; N
- John W. Ruggles, DDGM, District 30 (New Bedford), 1943, 1944; SN
- James P. Warbasse, Jr., DDGM, District 30 (New Bedford), 1971, 1972; SN
- L. Theodore Woolfenden, DDGM, District 30 (New Bedford), 1947, 1948; N