GeorgeHTaber

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search

GEORGE H. TABER LODGE

Originally named Concordia Lodge; name changed 06/12/1901.

Location: Fairhaven

Chartered By: Sereno D. Nickerson

Charter Date: 12/10/1873 1873-147

Precedence Date: 12/12/1872

Current Status: Active


PAST MASTERS

  • Job A. T. Eddy, 1873, 1874
  • Elbridge G. Paull, 1875
  • Levi M. Snow, 1876
  • James A. Lewis, 1877-1879
  • Edwin Stowell, 1880, 1881
  • R. Hathaway, 1882, 1883
  • E. F. Williams, 1884, 1885
  • George D. Hammond, 1886-1888; SN
  • W. Taylor, 1889-1891
  • James L. Gillingham, 1892, 1893; SN
  • Alex C. James, 1894, 1895
  • A. DeW. Bryant, 1896, 1897
  • R. A. Packard, 1898, 1899
  • George B. Luther, 1900, 1901; N
  • E. Whiting, Jr., 1902, 1903
  • S. S. Bumpus, 1904, 1905
  • Harry Dodge, 1906, 1907
  • Benjamin S. Holland, 1908
  • T. A. Kelley, 1909, 1910
  • Peter Murray, 1911
  • L. W. Murray, 1912, 1913
  • Lyman C. Bauldry, 1914; Mem
  • Isaac N. Babbitt, 1915
  • George F. Braley, 1916
  • Charles E. P. Thompson, 1917
  • George A. Hayward, 1918
  • Benjamin C. Allmond, 1919
  • Joseph H. Allen, 1920
  • E. M. Burgess, 1921
  • Jos. Sutcliffe, Jr., 1922
  • F. A. Keith, Jr., 1923
  • William H. Bly, 1924
  • Jonathan Taber, Jr., 1925
  • Harry R. Betagh, 1926
  • Charles H. Lawton, 1927
  • F. W. Reynolds, 1927
  • R. B. Dunham, 1928
  • R. A. Dennie, 1929
  • G. A. Greene, 1930
  • B. W. Luther, 1931
  • Colby H. Benson, 1932; SN
  • R. D. Webb, 1933
  • S. H. Packard, 1934
  • W. E. Athearn, 1935
  • J. T. Poulton, 1936
  • J. E. Haydon, 1937
  • H. R. Dugdale, 1938
  • Milton H. Frost, 1939
  • L. T. Brock, Sr., 1940
  • A. L. K. Tunstall, 1941
  • Carl V. Dobreck, 1942
  • C. R. Dugdale, 1943
  • F. W. Sylvia, 1944
  • S. B. Kilburne, 1945
  • Frank Norman, 1946
  • Cuthbert W. Tunstall, 1947; N
  • Donald Green, 1948
  • E. William Darling, 1949
  • C. H. Benson, Jr., 1950, 1990
  • Ervin R. Spach, 1951
  • Hans A. Darwin, 1952
  • A. H. Pinkham, 1953
  • E. J. Wlodyka, 1954
  • L. S. Gifford, Jr., 1955, 1997
  • D. S. Richards, 1956
  • Jos. A. Wenzel, 1957
  • C. E. Macomber, 1958
  • O. A. Shumway, 1959, 1978
  • M. Bart Bothelho, 1960
  • E. B. Spooner, 1961
  • Walter J. Zych, 1962
  • Donald D. Jepson, 1963
  • Carl A. Winnett, 1964
  • Gunnar V. Berg, 1965
  • E. P. Lowrie, III, 1966
  • J. F. Morgan, Jr,, 1967
  • D. M. Gifford, 1968
  • J. Norman Habicht, 1969, 1977
  • Thomas E. Chase, 1970, 1972; SN
  • John Rogers, Jr., 1971
  • William R. Letton, 1973
  • W. E. Bowman, III, 1974
  • E. T. Norcutt, 1975
  • H. G. Shellenberg, 1976
  • Albert J. Barney, 1979
  • Lynwood P. Harriman, 1980; Bio; N
  • Jack W. Bush, 1981
  • Richard J. Moore, 1982, 1983
  • Harold C. Holmes, 1984
  • John D. Masten, 1985
  • Charles E. Phillips, 1986
  • George J. Hubert, 1987
  • H. J. Babineau, Jr., 1988
  • Ivan E. Watts, 1989
  • Peter Gray Phillips, 1991, 1992, 1998, 1999
  • James P. Booth, 1993
  • Wally C. Therrien, 1994, 1995
  • John Borges, Jr., 1996
  • Eric M. Berg, 2000-2002; PDDGM
  • Richard R. Poulin, 2003, 2005
  • Andrew F. Racine, 2004
  • Paul W. Nerbonne, 2007, 2008
  • Joshua D. Bumpus, 2009-2011
  • James A. Cochran, 2012

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1873 as Concordia Lodge
  • Petition for Charter: 1873 as Concordia Lodge

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1947 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1972 (Centenary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1901 1910 1912 1920 1940 1944 1949 1952 1954 1980 1991 1992 2005 2013

HISTORY

  • 1947 (75th Anniversary History, 1947-447; see below)
  • 1972 (Centenary History, 1972-227; see below)

75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, DECEMBER 1947

From Proceedings, Page 1947-447:

By Worshipful Ellsworth M. Burgess and Worshipful Frederick W. Reynolds.

The original Petitioners for George H. Taber Lodge were:

  • George H. Taber
  • Elbridge G. Paull
  • Lorenzo Shurtleff
  • Job A. T. Eddy
  • Noah Stoddard
  • Daniel J. Lewis
  • Nathan D. Manter
  • Charles H. Morton
  • Ansel Tripp
  • Edwin Stowell
  • J. G. Morse
  • Benjamin F. Cottle
  • William L. Coburn
  • George E. Bryant
  • James V. Cox
  • Levi M. Snow
  • James A. Lewis
  • Seth H. Keith
  • Hiram F. Wilde
  • James B. Tarr
  • Russell Hathaway
  • Phineas E. Terry
  • John W. Nickerson
  • Alexander Winsor
  • H. J. J. Thompson
  • L. A. Washburn
  • Elisha Copeland
  • I. N. Babbitt, Jr.
  • Alfred Jones
  • Theodore E. Lawton
  • A. D. Stoddard

All of these afterwards became charter members with the exception of Noah Stoddard, Nathan D. Manter, Benjamin F. Cottle, George E. Bryant, James V. Cox, James B. Tarr, Phineas E. Terry, George H. Taber and A. D. Stoddard.

Agreeable to the prayer of these petitioners, the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts granted a dispensation to "Concordia Lodge" on December 12, 1872. The dispensation was signed by Sereno D. Nickerson,'Grand Master, and attested by Charles H. Titus, Recording Grand Secretary. The Grand Master appointed "Brother Job. A. T. Eddy to be the first Master, Brother E. G. Paull to be the first Senior Warden, and Brother Lorenzo Shurtleff to be the first Junior Warden of said Lodge."

The first meeting of the Lodge was held January 13, 1873, and the other officers recorded on that occasion were Edwin Stowell, Treasurer; Seth H. Keith, Secretary; Rev. Frederick Upham, Chaplain; Charles H. Morton, Marshal; Levi M. Snow, Senior Deacon; James A. Lewis, Junior Deacon; Benjamin F. Cottle, Senior Steward; William L. Coburn, Junior Steward; John W. Nickerson, Tyler.

The Lodge received its charter from the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts on December 10, 1873, to take precedence from December 12, 1872 (the date of the Dispensation), and it was signed by Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Master; Percival L. Everett, Deputy Grand Master; Henry Endicott, Senior Grand Warden; Joseph K. Baker, Junior Grand Warden, Charles H. Titus, Grand Secretary.

The membership at that time was thirty-one.

The upper floor in the Pope Building, corner of William and Center Streets, had been secured by the petitioners, renovated, furnished and adapted to Lodge purposes. On January 30, 1874, the Officers of the Grand Lodge dedicated the Hall to the purposes of Masonry in Ancient Form, after which the Lodge was Constituted and the officers elected and installed.

May 13, 1901, the beautiful building now held by the George H. Taber Masonic Building Association was accepted as a gift from Brother Henry H. Rogers of New York, a native of Fair-haven, and an honored member of the Fraternity, holding membership in Star in the East Lodge of New Bedford, Massachusetts, and on the same date, it was voted to relinquish the name "Concordia Lodge" and be thereafter known under the title and designation of "George H. Taber Lodge," agreeable to a condition accompanying the gift.

June 18, 1901, the lodge-room in the new building was dedicated to "Free Masonry, Virtue and Benevolence" by the Grand Officers of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, of which Most Worshipful Charles T. Gallagher was Grand Master, and Right Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson was Recording Grand Secretary.

The Lodge enters upon its fifty-first year with the membership of 390.

The foregoing portion of this history was written by Brother Frederick A. Keith, who was the Secretary of George H. Taber Lodge at that time.

The fiftieth anniversary was celebrated on December 10, 11, 12, 1922, beginning with a special communication opened in the lodge-room Sunday, December 10, at 3:15 p.m. The members marched to the Unitarian Memorial Church in regular formation, where they listened to a very interesting sermon delivered by the Pastor, Rev. Brother William H. Parker, his subject being "The Divine Secrets." The music had been specially arranged for the occasion and was delightfully rendered. There were 131 Master Masons present, consisting of twelve officers, one Past District Deputy Grand Master, ten Past Masters, ninety-nine members and nine visiting Brothers.

The annual communication, December 11, was held in the lodge-room with 139 members present, and the Secretary reported a total membership of 393, all of whom had paid their dues in full to December 11, 1922.

The committee having in charge the rearrangement and framing of the photographs of the Past Masters reported the completion of that duty and the pictures in the new frame had been hung on the wall of the ante-room, where they can be viewed at the present day with the portraits of the eighteen succeeding Masters added.

A special communication was held in the lodge-room Tuesday, December 12, 1922, with 165 members present and Worshipful Joseph Sutcliffe, Jr. presiding. Later, all proceeded to the Town Hall where the concluding ceremonies of the anniversary program were held, with a banquet and entertainment and about three hundred members and guests participating.

The three living charter members were unable to be present — Worshipful Elbridge G. Paull, and Brothers Charles H. Morton and Elisha S. Whiting — but were remembered by a standing silent tribute of love and esteem.

The Most Worshipful Grand Master, Arthur D. Prince, and Right Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell, Deputy Grand Master, addressed the Brethren, as did also Worshipful John V. Thorpe, Past Master of King Philip Lodge of Fall River. The history of the Lodge was read by Brother Frederick A. Keith, Secretary. After returning to the lodge-room, the gavel used in closing was the one made by and used by Worshipful Job A. T. Eddy in opening Concordia Lodge for the first time fifty years before and thereafter used during his term of office and subsequently presented to George H. Taber Lodge by his daughter. It was again used by Worshipful Cuthbert W. Tunstall at the opening of the Lodge on the seventy-fifth anniversary.

At the end of another quarter century, it will be interesting and proper to review some of the activities of this period and put into this record some of the accomplishments and statistics. Since January 30, 1874, and up to and including November 10, 1947, there have been 893 members admitted and 56 Presiding Masters, of whom thirty-four are now living, and prior to 1912, with two exceptions, the Masters served two years or more. Worshipful Brother William H. Bly died October 29, 1924, while serving as Master. Brother Frederick A. Keith died May 29, 1929, while in office, having served faithfully and efficiently as Secretary for thirty-six years, and Brother David N. Kelley died May 15, 1942, while Treasurer, an office he had conscientiously filled for forty-four years — a service which was recognized by a testimonial banquet served in the Town Hall May 9, 1940.

November 8, 1926, the annual dues were raised from $3.00 to $5.00, and life membership from $45.00 to $75.00. In 1927, the Lodge was changed from the 30th Masonic District to the 31st, and the annual meeting changed from the second Monday in December to the second Monday in September.

In 1929, Worshipful Brother Thompson was appointed District Deputy Grand Master of the 31st District.

In 1932, the State Flag now in the lodge-room was presented by Right Worshipful Charles E. P. Thompson, in behalf of the estate of Brother Frederick A. Keith, and appropriately accepted by Right Worshipful George B. Luther.

In 1937, the elevator fund was started and a generous donation of $100 was received from Right Worshipful James L. Gillingham. This proposed improvement will become a reality when sufficient funds are available and conditions satisfactory. Another donation of $100 was received from Brother Dana H. Gllingham in 1947.

Also during this year, Right Worshipful Brother Thompson became Junior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge, and in 1938, Right Worshipful Earl W. Taylor, Grand Marshal of the Grand Lodge, visited George H. Taber Lodge and presented Right Worshipful Charles E. P. Thompson with a Henry Price Medal.

In 1939, the Lodge was changed back to the 30th District from the 31st.

In 1941, the dues were raised from $5.00 to $7.00, and Life Membership from $75.00 to $100.00, and $2000 was invested in Defense Bonds.

In 1942, it was voted to remit for the duration of the war the dues of all members of the Lodge who were in the service of their country, and for this same year, this Lodge was awarded the highest percentage record for contributions to the Masonic Service Organization.

In 1943, another $2000 was invested in War Bonds.

In 1944, the election of officers was changed from the annual communication in September to the regular communication in June, and in the same year, another $2000 was invested in War Bonds.

In 1945, Worshipful Colby H. Benson was appointed Deputy Grand Master for the 30th District and a testimonial dinner was tendered him in February. In May, Organist John Hindle was shown the evidence of good fellowship and appreciation of his eighteen years of faithful service in dispensing harmony in the Lodge by a testimonial dinner.

In 1946 some revisions were made in the By-Laws, and in 1947, doubtless the outstanding event will be the celebration of the seventy-fifth anniversary, which began on Sunday, December 7 by a service of worship at the Unitarian Memorial Church, the Lodge being opened in the temple by Presiding Master Cuthbert W. Tunstall and proceeding to the church in regular formation. The service was opened by the Pastor, Rev. Horace Westwood, and the address was given by Brother Rev. R. Eugene Gilmore, whose subject was "Our Patron Saint John the Baptist." Special music including solos was provided for the occasion. There were 127 members of the Craft present.

The record shows there were twenty-seven members of this Lodge in the Armed Forces during World War II and two were killed in action and two, who were prisoners of the Japanese, were subsequently liberated.

Many honors have come to members of George H. Taber Lodge during its active existence, some of which follow: Appointed District Deputy Grand Master — James L. Gillingham, George B. Luther, Lyman C. Bauldry, Charles E. P. Thompson, Elton S. Wilde and Colby H. Benson.

Made Life Members — Brother Ernest J. Haydon and Right Worshipful Charles E. P. Thompson.

Awarded Fifty Year Veteran's Medals — George Jones Dodge, Ernest John Haydon, Theron Alton Kelley, George Benjamin Luther and Walter Elvin Bowman.

The present membership is 470, and as we gather to celebrate the seventy-fifth anniversary of George H. Taber Lodge, it is proper that we recognize with reverence and respect those members living and departed, who, by their regular and upright conduct, their skill and loyalty, created and maintained so successfully this organization which we fondly hope will continue to prosper and be a respected and uplifting part of our community, ever bearing in remembrance —

"There's a world where all are equal;
we are journeying toward it fast.
We shall meet upon the level there
when the gates of death are past.
We shall stand before the orient,
and our Master will be there
To try the blocks we offer
with his own unerring square.
We shall meet upon the level there,
but never thence depart,
There's a Mansion — 'tis all ready
for each faithful, trusting heart,
There's a Mansion and a welcome,
and a multitude is there
Who have met upon the level
and been tried upon the square."

CENTENARY HISTORY, JUNE 1972

From Proceedings, Page 1972-227:

By Worshipful Frederick W. Reynolds and Brother Earle D. Wilson.

The original petitioners were: George H. Taber, Elbridge G. Paull, Lorenzo Shurtleff, Job A. T. Eddy, Noah Stoddard, Daniel J. Lewis, Nathan D. Manter, Charles H. Morton, Ansel Tripp, Edwin Stowell, J. G. Morse, Benjamin F. Cottle, William L. Coburn, George E. Bryant, James V. Cox, Levi M. Snow, James A. Lewis, Seth H. Keith, Hiram F. Wilde, James B. Tarr, Russell Hathaway, Phineas E. Terry, John W. Nickerson, Alexander Winsor, H. J. J. Thompson, L. A. Washburn, Elisha Copeland, I. N. Babbitt, Jr., Alfred Jones, Theodore E. Lawton, A. D. Stoddard.

All of these later became charter members with the exception of Noah Stoddard, Nathan D. Manter, Benjamin F. Cottle, George E. Bryant, James V. Cox, James B. Tarr, Phineas E. Terry, George H. Taber and A. D. Stoddard.

Agreeable to the prayer of these petitioners the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts granted a dispensation to "Concordia Lodge" on December 12th, A. D. 1872, A. L. 5872. The dispensation was signed by Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Master, and attested by Charles H. Titus, Recording Grand Secretary. The Grand Master appointed "Brother Job A. T. Eddy to be the first Master; Brother E. G. Paull to be the first Senior Warden and Brother Lorenzo Shurtleff to be the first Junior Warden of said Lodge." The first meeting of the "Lodge" was held January 13, 1873, and the other officers recorded on that occasion were Edwin Stowell, Treasurer; Seth H. Keith, Secretary; Rev. Frederick Upham, Chaplain; Charles H. Morton, Marshal; Levi M. Snow, Senior Deacon; James A. Lewis, Junior Deacon; Benjamin F. Cottle, Senior Steward; William L. Coburn, Junior Steward;
 John W. Nickerson, Tyler.

The Lodge received its Charter from the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts on December 10th, A.D. 1873, A.L. S873, to take precedence from December 12, A.D. 1872, A.L. 5872, (the date of Dispensation), and it was signed by Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Master; Percival L. Everett, Deputy Grand Master; Henry Endicott, Senior Grand Warden; Joseph K. Baker, Junior Grand Warden; and Charles H. Titus, Grand Secretary.

The membership at that time was thirty-one. The upper floor in the Pope Building, corner of William and Centre Streets, had been secured by the petitioners, renovated, furnished and adapted to lodge purposes. On January 30th, 1874, the "Officers of the Grand Lodge" dedicated the "Hall" to the purposes of Masonry in "Ancient Form" after which the lodge was "Constituted" and the officers elected and installed.

May 13, 1901, the beautiful building now held by the George H. Taber Masonic Building Association was accepted as a gift from Brother Henry H. Rogers, of New York, a native of Fairhaven and an honored member of the fraternity, holding membership in Star in the East Lodge of New Bedford, Massachusetts, and on the same date it was voted to relinquish the name "Concordia Lodge" and be thereafter known under the title and designation of "George H. Taber Lodge", agreeable to a condition accompanying the gift.

June 18th, 1901, the lodge-room in the new building was dedicated to "Free Masonry, Virtue, and Benevolence" by the Grand Officers of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, of which Most Worshipful Charles T. Gallagher was Grand Master, and Right Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson was Recording Grand Secretary. (1901 Mass. 106-117)

The Fiftieth Anniversary was celebrated on December 10, 11, 12, 1922, beginning with a Special Communication opened in the lodge-room on Sunday, December 10 at 3:15 p.m. Then the members marched to the Unitarian Memorial Church in regular formation where they listened to a very interesting sermon delivered by the Pastor, Rev. Bro. William H. Parker, his subject being "The Divine Secrets." The Annual Communication, December 1 1, was held in the Lodge-room with 139 members present and the Secretary reported a total membership of 393, all of whom had paid their dues in full.

A Special Communication was held in the Lodge-room, Tuesday, December 12, 1922 with Wor. Joseph Sutcliffe, Jr., presiding and later all proceeded to the Town Hall where the concluding ceremonies of the Anniversary Program were held with a banquet and entertainment.

The three living Charter Members, Wor. Elbridge G. Paull, Bro. Charles H. Morton and Bro. Elisha S. Whiting, were unable to be present, but were remembered by a standing silent tribute of love and esteem.

The Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, Grand Master of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, Right Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell, Deputy Grand Master, and Wor. John V. Thorpe, Past Master of King Philip Lodge of Fall River addressed the Brethren, and the history of the Lodge was read by Brother Frederick A. Keith, Secretary.

Worshipful Brother William H. Bly died October 29, 1924 while serving as Master.

Brother Frederick A. Keith died May 29, 1929 while in office, having served faithfully and efficiently as Secretary for 36 years and Brother David N. Kelley died May 15, 1942 while Treasurer, an office he had conscientiously filled for 44 years, a service which was recognized by a testimonial banquet served in Town Hall May 9, 1940. Later, on December 18, 1947, Brother Harold F. Adshead presented to the Lodge a beautiful framed portrait of Brother Kelley to be hung in the Lodge-room. It was presented in behalf of his son, David L. Kelley, and his grandson, F. Standish Kelley.

In 1927 the Lodge was changed from the 30th Masonic District to the 31st, and the annual meeting changed from the 2nd Monday in December to the 2nd Monday in September.

In 1929 Wor. Bro. Charles E. P. Thompson was appointed District Deputy Grand Master of the 31st District.

In 1937 the elevator fund was started with many generous donations and this proposed improvement will become a reality when sufficient funds are available and conditions satisfactory.

Also in 1937, Rt. Wor. Brother Thompson was elected Junior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. In 1938 Most Worshipful Joseph Earl Perry, Grand Master, visited George H. Taber Lodge and presented Rt. Wor. Bro. Thompson the Henry Price Medal.

In 1939 the Lodge was changed back to the 30th District from the 31st.

In 1945 Wor. Colby H. Benson was appointed District Deputy Grand Master for the New Bedford 30th Masonic District and a testimonial dinner was tendered him in February; and in May, Organist Brother John Hindle was shown the evidence of good fellowship and appreciation of his 18 years of faithful service in dispensing harmony in the Lodge by a testimonial dinner.

The Seventy-Fifth Anniversary celebration began on Sunday, December 7, 1947 by a Service of Worship at the Unitarian Memorial Church. The Lodge was opened in the Temple at 3:15 P.M. with Wor. Cuthbert W. Tunstall, Master, presiding. Then the members proceeded to the Church in regular formation where the service was opened by the Pastor, Rev. Horace Westwood, and the address given by Brother and Reverend R. Eugene Gilmore, whose subject was "Our Patron, Saint John the Baptist."

A Special Communication was held in the Lodge-room on Thursday, December 18, 1947 at 5:15 p.m. with Wor. Cuthbert W. Tunstall presiding. Most Worshipful Samuel Holmes Wragg, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, was cordially received and then the members and guests proceeded to the Town Hall for the Anniversary Banquet which was served at 6:30 p.m. The speakers of the evening were Most Worshipful Samuel H. Wragg; R. W. George D. Robertson, Senior Grand Warden; R. W. Roger Keith, Past Deputy Grand Master; R. W. Charles E. P. Thompson, Past Junior Grand Warden; and R. W. L. Theodore Woolfenden, District Deputy Grand Master of the New Bedford 30th District; and R. W. Benjamin Barnes, District Deputy Grand Master of the Fall River 30th Masonic District. The history was read by Wor. Ellsworth M. Burgess. (1947 Mass. 444-452)

On October 4, 1948, Wor. Carl V. Doberck presented to Bro. Charles P. Thatcher a beautiful Masonic ring in behalf of the Lodge in appreciation of his 25 years of faithful service as Tyler. The next year an amendment to the By-Laws of the Lodge made all Past Masters Life Members when their terms expired.

On April 15, 1951, Rt. Wor. Charles E. P. Thompson gave the Lodge a framed reproduction of the Testimonial presented to Rt. Wor. George B. Luther at his home as a tribute to his 50th anniversary as a Past Master. The Testimonial was hung in the ante-room and a framed portrait of Wor. Bro. Luther was hung in the Lodge-room on April 14, 1952.

February 16, 1953 was the date of the testimonial dinner in the Town Hall in honor of Rt. Wor. Cuthbert W. Tunstall on his appointment of District Deputy Grand Master of the New Bedford Thirtieth Masonic District. Rt. Wor. Charles E. P. Thompson presented Rt. Wor. Brother Tunstall with a Past District Deputy Jewel in behalf of the members of the Lodge.

November 15, 1954 an oil painting of our deceased Brother John Hindle, painted and presented by Mrs. Charlotte Wlodyka, wife of Wor. Edward J. Wlodyka, was dedicated by Rt. Wor. Cuthbert W. Tunstall. Brother Hindle served the Lodge as Organist for many years and was loved by everyone.

Rt. Wor. Charles E. P. Thompson was commended by the Grand Lodge on March 15, 1955 for George H. Taber Lodge being one Lodge with 40 years of continuous attendance at Grand Lodge Communications and succeeding Officers and proxy have kept that record intact. May 28, 1956 a letter was read from Brother George J. Dodge informing the members that he did all the wood carving in the Lodge Room as selected by Brother Henry H. Rogers.

An impressive Masonic funeral service was held in the Unitarian Memorial Church for Right Worshipful Charles E. P. Thompson on August 2, 1956. Rt. Wor. Bro. Thompson died on July 29 of that year. The services were attended by many prominent Masons, other citizens and veterans. The next month Rt. Wor. Colby H. Benson was directed to obtain a suitable portrait of Rt. Wor. Bro. Thompson to be framed and hung in the Lodge-room.

October 21, 1957 Wor. Carl V. Doberck was presented the Joseph Warren Medal for his devoted service to Masonry. On February 9, 1959 it was voted to transfer $ 1,200. to the George H. Taber Masonic Building Association to purchase from the National Bank of Fairhaven the lot due west of the building. Later that same year, on October 12, it was voted to transfer another $1,200. to the Association to repair the west wall of the building.

For the first time to our knowledge a regular communication could not be held because of the hurricane Donna on September 21, 1960, and under dispensation from the Most Worshipful Grand Master it was postponed until September 26, 1960 at 6:00 p.m.

On June 11, 1963, at 5:15 p.m., a testimonial dinner was held in Babbitt Hall of the Congregational Church honoring Worshipful Frederick W. Reynolds for his faithful services as Secretary for 34 years. He was given a beautiful framed testimonial by Worshipful Walter J. Zych, while Right Worshipful Fred S. Wordell presented him the Joseph Warren Medal in behalf of the Grand Lodge for Distinguished Service. It is interesting to note that Worshipful Frederick W. Reynolds, who was raised in George H. Taber Lodge on October 27, 1919, was as active in the 50th and 75th Anniversaries of the Lodge as he has been in the 100th.

On May 17, 1968, Worshipful Colby H. Benson, Jr. gave a resume of the Masonic activities of Worshipful Alvin L. K. Tunstall and presented the Lodge with a framed portrait of him in behalf of Bro. F. Eben Brown. Wor. Bro. Tunstall is the first member in Fairhaven to be elevated to the 33rd degree.

As we gather to celebrate the one hundredth Anniversary of George H. Taber Lodge it is proper and fitting that we recognize with reverence and respect those members living and departed who by their regular and upright conduct, their skill and loyalty created and maintained so successfully this organization which we fondly hope will continue to prosper and be a respected and uplifting part of our community ever bearing in remembrance:

"There's a world where all are equal;
we are journeying toward it fast.
We shall meet upon the level there
when the gates of death are past.
We shall stand before the orient,
and our Master will be there
To try the blocks we offer
with his own unerring square.
We shall meet upon the level there,
but never thence depart,
There's a Mansion — 'tis all ready
for each faithful, trusting heart,
There's a Mansion and a welcome,
and a multitude is there
Who have met upon the level
and been tried upon the square."

OTHER

  • 1901' (Name change to George H. Taber Lodge, 1901-96)

GRAND LODGE OFFICERS

OTHER BROTHERS


DISTRICTS

1872: District 14 (New Bedford)

1883: District 26 (Fall River)

1911: District 30 (Fall River)

1927: District 31 (Nantucket)

2003: District 19


LINKS

Lodge web site

Massachusetts Lodges