GoldenRule2

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search

MA_GoldenRule.jpg

GOLDEN RULE LODGE

Location: Wakefield

Chartered By: Henry Endicott

Charter Date: 12/12/1888 1888-258

Precedence Date: 01/28/1888

Current Status: Active


PAST MASTERS

  • William D. Deadman, 1888, 1889
  • Richard S. Stout, 1890, 1891
  • Arlon S. Atherton, 1892, 1893
  • James Driver, 1894, 1895
  • William F. Perkins, 1896, 1897
  • Erastus D. Weston, 1898, 1899
  • Edward A. Wilkins, 1900, 1901
  • Charles B. Bowman, 1902, 1903
  • Albert W. Flint, 1904, 1905
  • William P. Shepard, 1906, 1907
  • Mortimer L. Harris, 1908
  • William F. Deadman, 1909; N
  • William S. Dennison, 1910, 1911
  • Henry L. Hall, 1912
  • Thomas F. Ringer, 1913
  • William H. Tay, 1914, 1915
  • William O. Abbott, 1916, 1917
  • Forrest A. Seavey, 1918, 1919
  • Elmer C. Richardson, 1920, 1921
  • William F. Gerry, 1922, 1923
  • Edward Barker, 1924
  • George W. Fifield, 1925
  • T. Fulton Parks, 1926
  • Arthur S. Hill, 1927
  • J. Kenneth MacDonald, 1928
  • Lauren L. McMaster, 1929; Mem
  • Ned C. Loud, 1930
  • Cyrus M. Dolbeare, 1931; SN
  • Roy A. Hovey, 1932; N
  • Irving F. Ridlon, 1933
  • George E. Potter, 1934
  • Joseph A. Hines, 1935
  • John B. Sawyer, 1936
  • Leonard M. Daly, 1937
  • Andrew W. Hutchinson, 1938
  • R. Edgar Fisher, 1939
  • Colby L. Burbank, 1940
  • H. Prescott Boyce, 1941
  • Everett S. Webster, 1942
  • Robert H. MacDonald, 1943
  • Louis F. Andrews, 1944
  • Allston Van Wagner, 1945
  • William A. Rattray, 1946
  • Harvey P. Morrison, 1947
  • Carl I. Cheever, 1948
  • Roland B. Oliver, 1949
  • Lawrence Davis, 1950
  • Eugene A. Wall, 1951
  • Loren B. Sjostrom, 1952
  • George D. Rattray, 1953
  • John B. Walsh, 1954
  • Fred S. Morrison, 1955
  • Walter E. Cole, 1956
  • Charles F. Maxfield, 1957; N
  • L. Burnham Davis, 1958
  • Albert C. Loubris, 1959
  • Paul W. Cameron, 1960
  • James E. Hewes, 1961
  • Thomas E. Clague, 1962
  • Leonard F. Guerrette, 1963
  • Ronald A. Robinson, 1964
  • Ralph G. Eames, 1965
  • Marshall G. Bibber, 1966
  • Edward J. Hennessey, 1967
  • Webster P. Jackson, 1968
  • Stewart I. Ryder, 1969; SN
  • Thomas F. Cook, 1970
  • Arthur White, Jr., 1971
  • Kendall M. Dolbeare, 1972
  • Robert E. Tyler, 1973
  • George E. Pedersen, 1974
  • Ernest L. Foss, 1975
  • George W. Beers, 1976
  • Arthur R. Melvin, 1977
  • Roderick R. Chitty, 1978
  • Melvin R. Bowen, 1979
  • Bradford L. Chetwynd, 1980
  • William A. Pollman, 1981
  • Paul E. Morrison, 1982
  • Gerald W. Izzett, 1983
  • William E. Chetwynd, 1984
  • Paul D. Watts, 1985
  • Brian W. Goss, 1986
  • Bradford H. Pottle, 1987
  • Chester C. McPhail, 1988
  • David L. Blankenship, 1989
  • Donald J. Dennehy, 1990
  • Kenneth P. Lowry, 1991
  • John D. Silva, 1992
  • James M. Clark, 1993
  • Alex Olson, 1994
  • Kenneth A. Durkee, 1995
  • James G. Ward, 1996
  • Laurence D. Collins, 1997
  • Donald C. Smith, 1998
  • Eric J. Rzepka, 1999
  • George Bibilos, 2000
  • Keith D. Pollman, 2001
  • Robert D. Frechette, 2002
  • Michael E. Petz, 2003
  • Michael J. Gatanti, 2004
  • Henry M. Tanner, 2005
  • William G. Watt, 2006
  • James Analetto, 2007
  • William J. Watt, 2008
  • Timothy B. Bertrand, 2009
  • Scott T. Jareo, 2010
  • Patrick M. Fennelly, 2011
  • Edward W. Vossler, 2012
  • John Soderblom, 2013

PICTURES OF PAST MASTERS

Where no picture is available, the Past Master is represented by a square, compasses and quadrant symbol.

'1888WilliamDDeadman.jpg 1890RichardSStout.jpg 1892ArlonSAtherton.jpg
William D. Deadman, Richard S. Stout, Arlon S. Atherton

1894JamesDriver.jpg 1896WilliamFPerkins.jpg 1898ErastusDWeston.jpg
James Driver, William F. Perkins, Erastus D. Weston

1900EdwardAWilkins.jpg 1902CharlesBBowman.jpg 1904AlbertWFlint.jpg
Edward A. Wilkins, Charles B. Bowman, Albert W. Flint

0000NoPicture.jpg 1908MortimerLHarris.jpg 1909WilliamFDeadman.jpg
William P. Shepard, Mortimer L. Harris, William F. Deadman

0000NoPicture.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg 1913ThomasFRinger.jpg
William S. Dennison, Henry L. Hall, Thomas F. Ringer

1914WilliamHTay.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg 1918ForrestASeavey.jpg
William H. Tay, William O. Abbott, Forrest A. Seavey

0000NoPicture.jpg 1922WilliamFGerry.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg
Elmer C. Richardson, William F. Gerry, Edward Barker

0000NoPicture.jpg 1926TFultonParks.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg
George W. Fifield, T. Fulton Parks, Arthur S. Hill

0000NoPicture.jpg 1929LaurenLMcMaster.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg
J. Kenneth MacDonald, Lauren L. McMaster, Ned C. Loud

1931CyrusMDolbeare.jpg 1932RoyAHovey.jpg 1933IrvingFRidlon.jpg
Cyrus M. Dolbeare, Roy A. Hovey, Irving F. Ridlon

1934GeorgeEPotter.jpg 1935JosephAHines.jpg 1936JohnBSawyer.jpg
George E. Potter, Joseph A. Hines, John B. Sawyer

0000NoPicture.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg
Leonard M. Daly, Andrew W. Hutchinson, R. Edgar Fisher

1940ColbyLBurbank.jpg 1941HPrescottBoyce.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg
Colby L. Burbank, H. Prescott Boyce, Everett S. Webster

0000NoPicture.jpg 1944LouisFAndrews.jpg 1945AllstonVanWagner.jpg
Robert H. MacDonald, Louis F. Andrews, Allston Van Wagner

1946WilliamARattray.jpg 1947HarveyPMorrison.jpg 1948CarlICheever.jpg
William A. Rattray, Harvey P. Morrison, Carl I. Cheever

1949RolandBOliver.jpg 1950LawrenceDavis.jpg 1951EugeneAWall.jpg
Roland B. Oliver, Lawrence Davis, Eugene A. Wall

1952LorenBSjostrom.jpg 1953GeorgeDRattray.jpg 1954JohnBWalsh.jpg
Loren B. Sjostrom, George D. Rattray, John B. Walsh

1955FredSMorrison.jpg 1956WalterECole.jpg 1957CharlesFMaxfield.jpg
Fred S. Morrison, Walter E. Cole, Charles F. Maxfield

1958LBurnhamDavis.jpg 1959AlbertCLoubris.jpg 1960PaulWCameron.jpg
L. Burnham Davis, Albert C. Loubris, Paul W. Cameron

1961JamesEHewes.jpg 1962ThomasEClague.jpg 1963LeonardFGuerette.jpg
James E. Hewes, Thomas E. Clague, Leonard F. Guerette

1964RonaldARobinson.jpg 1965RalphGEames.jpg 1966MarshallGBibber.jpg
Ronald A. Robinson, Ralph G. Eames, Marshall G. Bibber

1967EdwardJHennesey.jpg 1968WebsterPJackson.jpg 1969StewartIRyder.jpg
Edward J. Hennessey, Webster P. Jackson, Stewart I. Ryder

1970ThomasFCook.jpg 1971ArthurWhiteJr.jpg 1972KendallMDolbeare.jpg
Thomas F. Cook, Arthur White, Jr., Kendall M. Dolbeare

1973RobertETyler.jpg 1974GeorgeEPedersen.jpg 1975ErnestLFoss.jpg
Robert E. Tyler, George E. Pedersen, Ernest L. Foss

1976GeorgeWBeers.jpg 1977ArthurRMelvin.jpg 1978RoderickRChitty.jpg
George W. Beers, Arthur R. Melvin, Roderick R. Chitty

1979MelvinRBowen.jpg 1980BradfordLChetwynd.jpg 1981WilliamAPollman.jpg
Melvin R. Bowen, Bradford L. Chetwynd, William A. Pollman

1982PaulEMorrison.jpg 1983GeraldWizzett.jpg 1984WilliamEChetwynd.jpg
Paul E. Morrison, Gerald Wizzett, William E. Chetwynd

1985PaulDWatts.jpg 1986BrianWGoss_2.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg
Paul D. Watts, Brian W. Goss, Bradford H. Pottle

1988ChesterCMcPhail_2.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg 1990DonaldJDennehy_2.jpg
Chester C. McPhail, David L. Blankenship, Donald J. Dennehy

1991KennethPLowry.jpg 1992JohnDSilva_2.jpg 1993JamesMClark_2.jpg
Kenneth P. Lowry, John D. Silva, James M. Clark

1994AlexOlson_2.jpg 1995KennethADurkee_2.jpg 1996JamesGWard_2.jpg
Alex Olson, Kenneth A. Durkee, James G. Ward

1997LaurenceDCollins.jpg 1998DonaldCSmith_2.jpg 1999EricJRzepka_2.jpg
Laurence D. Collins, Donald C. Smith, Eric J. Rzepka

2000GeorgeJBibilos_2.jpg 2001KeithDPollman_2.jpg 2002RobertDFrechette_2.jpg
George J. Bibilos, Keith D. Pollman, Robert D. Frechette

2003MichaelEPetz_2.jpg 2004MichaelJGatanti.jpg 2005HenryMTanner.jpg
Michael E. Petz, Michael J. Gatanti, Henry M. Tanner

2006WilliamGWatt.jpg 2007JamesAnaletto.jpg 2008WilliamJWatt.jpg
William G. Watt, James Analetto, William J. Watt

2009TimothyBBertrand.jpg 2010ScottTJareo_2.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg
Timothy B. Bertrand, Scott T. Jareo, Patrick M. Fennelly

0000NoPicture.jpg 0000NoPicture.jpg
Edward W. Vossler, John Soderblom


REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1938 (50th Anniversary)
  • 1963 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1988 (Centenary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1901 1903 1912 1920 1921 1924 1926 1927 1930 1932 1940 1947 1949 1951 1952 1961 1962 1966 1967 1969 1971 1974 1982 1984 1988 1990 1995 2001 2008 2011 2013 2014

HISTORY

  • 1938 (50th Anniversary History, 1938-3)
  • 1963 (75th Anniversary History, 1963-4)

50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, JANUARY 1938

From Proceedings, Page 1938-1:

Highlights of "The First Fifty Years"'

A condensed History of Golden Rule Lodge compiled by Brother Harris M. Dolbeare.

INTRODUCTION: OLD MOUNT MORIAH LODGE

Previous to revealing the past of Golden Rule Lodge it is fitting and proper that reference should be made to Mount Moriah Lodge which was instituted in Reading before South Reading, now Wakefield, was set apart as a separate town. Very Iittle authentic history concerning the lodge is available either at the Grand Lodge Library or elsewhere. The Lodge was probably instituted in 1798. In 1812, when South Reading was incorporated, the Grand Lodge approved the continuante of meetings in the original location, but under the identification of South Reading instead of Reading. Reading Masons immediately petitioned for the formation of a new Masonic Lodge to meet in that town. The petition was acted on favorably, but it does not appear that any Lodge was ever started.

Mount Moriah Lodge held meetings in the old Lafayette House, now known as the Col. James Hartshorne House, just to the West of this meeting place, it having been restored and opened for public use for several years now.

It is known that there was considerable anti-Masonic sentiment in this section about 100 years ago, and at times meetings were undoubtedly held at homes of members. This probably accounts for the absence of records. Most of the paraphernalia belonging to the Lodge has evidently disappeared, although it is stated "unofficially" that the jewels now worn by Wyoming Lodge, of Melrose, are those used by the old Mount Moriah officers. A number of interesting articles are still in existence, however, some of which belong to Golden Rule Lodge.

The date of the dissolution of the Lodge is also very uncertain. Although records at the Grand Lodge Library noted that a Brother represented Mount Moriah Lodge at a Grand Lodge session as late as December 27th 1848, newspaper accounts and other records have noted that the Lodge passed out of existence at varying dates, including 1812, 1835 and 1842.

In 1915 Grand Secretary Frederick W. Hamilton composed a very comprehensive article on "The Period of Persecution" bearing on Masonry in the early 19th century, and considering the hectic years described by the author it may readily be imagined why records are incomplete or missing, besides the mystery incident to anything Masonic, at that period, either in South Reading or anywhere else.

FORMATION AND EARLY DAYS OF GOLDEN RULE LODGE

We learn from local Masonic tradition that it was in the hearts of a group of Wakefield members of the Fraternity to form a Lodge in Wakefield in the late '80's to enable them to enjoy fraternal meetings without being obliged to travel in "foreign countries." It happens that a Mason, both in name and affiliation, Bro. Willis S. Mason, called a meeting under date of November 7, 1887, for a gathering which was held on November 21, when the interests of local Masonry were discussed, About 25 attended and it was voted to secure as many signatures as possible in order to present a petition to the Grand Lodge.

The second meeting was held December 12, when it was voted to adopt the name of Wakefield Lodge. This name did not suit others, evidently, for at a meeting December 30 three names were suggested: Golden Rule, Endicott, and John Hart. Eleven votes favored Golden Rule and seven Endicott, and it was then unanimously voted to name the baby Golden Rule Lodge. There were 55 names on the petition sent to the Grand Lodge.

The first regular communication was held February 9, 1888, in Odd Fellows Hall. The officers were as follows:

  • Wor. Master, William D. Deadman
  • Senior Warden, Richard S. Stout
  • Junior Warden, Arlon S. Atherton
  • Treasurer, Everett W. Eaton
  • Secretary, Willis S. Mason
  • Chaplain, John G. Morrill
  • Marshal, Stillman J. Putney
  • Senior Deacon, William B. Daniel
  • Junior Deacon, Ruel P. Buzzell
  • Senior Steward, Horace W. Dalrymple
  • Junior Steward, Charles T. Harrington
  • Tyler, John F. Whiting

At this first meeting, six applications for membership were received. Wor. Master Deadman announced that Odd Fellows Hall had been secured for the second Thursday evening in the month, at $4.00 per night. This arrangement, as tenants of the Odd Fellows, with the exception of the rate, has continued throughout the years. The attendance at the first meeting was 35.

At the second regular communication on March 8, 1888, seven applications were received, including that of Bro. Elwin I. Purrington, who is the only surviving member among the 24 Brethren admitted by the Lodge, U. D. He is now in Florida, where he has spent his Winters in recent years. (Incidentally, particular recognition of our veteran members-those joining the Lodge previous to 1900 - will be made following this reading.)

Preliminary business was transacted at earlier meetings of the Lodge during the first year. The sublime degree of Master Mason was first conferred at the 4th regular communication, May 10, 1888, on four candidates. The first official visitation was on October 29, 1888, when 135 attended.

The ceremonies attending the constitution of the Lodge, January 10, 1889, were of exceptional interest. Most Wor. Henry Endicott, the Grand Master, "performed the ceremonies of constitution in an impressive and eloquent manner" to quote from the records. The Charter, containing names of Brethren who had signed previous to January 28, 1888, and duly certified on December 12, 1888 bears the signatures of Grand Master Endicott, Senior Grand Warden James M. Gleason, Junior Grand Warden Dana J. Flanders, and Grand Secretary Sereno D. Nickerson. Officers were installed by the Grand Master substantially as noted, with the addition of Bro. J. Wallace Grace as Inside Sentinel and Bro. George F. Wilson as Organist.

It is regrettable that none of the Grand Officers who participated in the ceremonies and none of the Charter members are now living.

The names of Charter members include representative men of Wakefield half a century ago. Nineteen members were admitted on dimits from Good Samaritan Lodge of Reading; 10 from Wyoming Lodge, Melrose; 1 from King Cyrus Lodge, Stoneham; 5 from New Hampshire Lodges; 4 from Lodges in Massachusetts towns (other than Reading, Melrose, and Stoneham); 3 from Maine Lodges; 2 from New York City and 1 each from Vermont, Scotland, Nova Scotia, and Bombay, India.

Fourteen Charter members were Civil War veterans, and most of them belonged to H. M. Warren Post 12, G. A. R. The thrilling experiences of Bro. Arlon S. Atherton were of special Masonic importance. He enlisted in 1861 and became a Mason while on a brief furlough in Winchester, N. H. In the battle of Deep Bottom Run, Va., August 16, 1864, he was left on the field as dead, having been shot through the lungs. In his extreme distress he gave a Masonic sign which was recognized by a Confederate surgeon. The surgeon, forgetting the enmity of warfare, attended to Bro. Atherton's wounds and placed him beneath a tree, temporarily, stating that he would return. Two days and nights passed, and on the third day a 9-year old boy, strolling through the field came across Bro. Atherton. The boy brought water and attended to the wounded man and was about to go for help when the surgeon, who had been called elsewhere in the meanwhile, returned and took Bro. Atherton to Libby Prison where he remained until released with other badly wounded men. After a brief rest Bro. Atherton again joined the regiment and was shortly commissioned Captain. About 47 years later Capt. Atherton, who had long desired to find the boy who had helped him, placed an advertisement in a Richmond, Va., newspaper and following correspondence from Richmond Capt. Atherton went to that city and aker conversing with the man who had written to him, mutual identification was established. Surely this demonstrates that truth is often stranger than fiction.

  • Bro. Samuel F. Littlefield, known to all as "Capt. Sam" twice led Wakefield companies to the front, and served as Captain of the Richardson Light Guard after the war. He was a diamond in the rough, with a heart that knew no limit when it came to sympathy for his comrades.
  • Bro. George W. Aborn was one of three Richardson Light Guard soldiers taken prisoners in the Battle of Bull Run. He was released among a group of 21000 and finally returned to South Reading (Wakefield) where a public reception was tendered to him and to Pvt. James H. Griggs.
  • Col. Charles F. Woodward had a brilliant career in public life, serving the town in both branches of the Legislature over a period of ten years. He founded the street railway system that centered in Wakefield over 40 years ago, later known as the Boston & Northern and now a part of the Eastern Massachusetts Street Railway Company. He was tax collector in his younger years.
  • Other Charter members who served in the Legislature were Bros. Silas W. Flint and Solon O. Richardson.
  • Bro. Daniel Gould Walton, father of the late Bro. Arthur G. Walton, was County Commissioner in the early '70's and was one of Wakefield's largest real estate owners.
  • Bro. Alstead W. Brownell was an authority on taxation and served as an Assessor many years and was Postmaster under President Cleveland from 1886 to 1890.
  • Bro. William E. Rogers was Register of Probate for many years until his death in 1916, an important position now ably filled by Bro. Loring P. Jordan, since his appointment by Gov. Fuller in 1925.
  • The oldest Charter member was Bro. Thomas Emerson, shoe manufacturer, aged 72. The youngest Charter member was Brig. Gen. Frederick B. Carpenter, aged 26, a prominent Boston insurance man and for 23 years a member of the Mass. Volunteer Militia.
  • Bro. William L. Coon, popularly known as 'Billy' Coon, was in the U. S. Customs service many years. He was in great demand as a toastmaster at local banquets.
  • Many of the Charter members ierved the town in various capacities, including the offices of Selectmen, Overseers, Auditors, etc.: Bros. Richard S. Stout, Henry H. Savage, J. Wallace Grace, J. Fred Parker, Stillman J. Putney, William B. Daniel, Everett W. Eaton and Willis S. Mason.
  • Bro. Charles S. Barstow was made a Mason in Bombay, India, while represenring the Tudor Ice Company of Boston in that country. Later he was in the express business in Wakefield.
  • Wor. Bro. John G. Morrill was in the ice business many years and was associated with J. Reed Whipple, owner of Young's Hotel, the Parker House, and Hotel Touraine, Boston.
  • Bros. Deadman and Samuel H. Gowing conducted exceptionally fine independent meat markets and grocery stores long before the era of chain stores.
  • Bro. Charles A. Bowser, "the last leaf on the tree" arnong Charter members, was in the dry goods business over half a century. He died November 18, 1936.

It is of interest to note that among present members of Golden Rule Lodge whose fathers or grandfathers were charter members are the following:

  • Rt. Wor. William F. Deadman, son of the first Master, Wor. Bro. William D. Deadman.
  • Bros. William J. Stout, Richard C. Stout, and George H. Stout, sons of Wor. Bro. Richard S. Stout.
  • Bro. William E. Eaton, son of Bro. Everett W. Eaton, the first Treasurer of the Lodge.
  • Bro. William W. Grace, maternal grandson of Bro. Samuel F. Littlefield and son of Bro. J. Wallace Grace.
  • Bro. Eden K. Bowser, son of Bro. Charles A. Bowser.
  • Bro. Harry W. Savage, and son, Bro. Russell H. Savage, son and grandson, respectively, of Bro. Henry H. Savage.
  • Bro. Henry G. Gowing, son of Bro. Samuel H. Gowing.
  • Bro. George H. Batchelder, son of Bro. George Batchelder.

Four of the sons of the 24 brethren admitted U.D., from February 9 to September 13, 1888, are now members of the Lodge:

  • Wor. Master Andrew W. Hutchinson.
  • Bro. Charles Arthur Atwell, son of Bro. William H. Atwell, for 25 years Secretary of the Lodge.
  • Bro. Albert P. Mansfield, son of Bro. Albert Mansfield, of Lynnfield, (a former commander of the Richardson Light Guard).
  • Bro. Edward A. Rich, son of Bro. Edward Augustus Rich.

It is a very happy coincidence that our Worshipful Master is presiding in the East during this anniversary period, and it is undoubtedly of special significance to him.

A number of suggestions have been made at various times for changing the place of Lodge meetings but the Lodge has continued as tenants of the Odd Fellows from the beginning. The first suggestion was presented at the meeting May 10, 1894, when a committee was appointed to confer with John Flanley relative to Masonic apartments in a proposed building at the corner of Avon and Main streets, but the proposition was not accepted. By a strange twist of time and circumstance the Lodge is meeting in the building proposed over 40 years ago, but as tenants of the Wakefield Odd Fellows Building Association, Inc., owners of the building.

Early in 1910 the Lodge purchased a lot of land on Chestnut Street, west of the present Wakefield Savings Bank, and a building committee was appointed, with Wor. Bro. William H. Tay, chairman. It was not until five years later, January 10, 1915, that the committee reported, and a soliciting committee had been appointed to endeavor to raise funds. In the meantime, another committee had been appointed to further consider Masonic Apartments. An offer for the Chestnut Street land had been received in 1916, but the land was not sold until 1920 when the building project was abandoned. Bro. Junius Beebe bought it for an addition to the Wakefield Trust Company, they occupying the south side of the present Savings Bank Building.

Other proposed locations included the Richardson Building, erected in 1901; the so-called Cutler Building, erected after the fire; the newer Wakefield Trust Company building, and finally the Carpenter estate, Lakeside. None of the projects appealed to officers or members.

The Lodge has received over a score of gifts from members, organizations and friends. The first gift was a number of aprons from Souhegan Lodge No. 38, I. O. O. F., typical of friendly relations that have continued through the years. Other gifts included paraphernalia, pictures, gavels, etc. The Francis H. Emerson Charity Trust Fund, a bequest of $500, was received from the estate of Bro. Emerson in 1924.

The most outstanding Masonic social event of the half century was the banquet tendered to the Lodge April 6, 1900, at Young's Hotel, Boston by Bro. James Clifton Pearson. At that time the Lodge membership was 194, and 159 members attended the elaborate event. Grand Master Charles T. Gallagher and District Deputy Walter S. Parker, of Reading, were among the distinguished guests. The toastmaster was Bro. Samuel K. Hamilton; and Squire Hamilton was some toastmaster! Wor. Bro. James Driver designed special menu folders and nothing was left undone by Bro. Pearson, who provided a special train to convey the Lodge members to and from Boston.

The brilliancy of the event was overshadowed by grief for all Lodge members within a year, for Bro. Pearson was stricken with appendicitis'and died suddenly January 9, 1901, at the age of 36. Bro. Pearson was a native of Wilmington where he worked on his father's farm. It was his ambition as a boy to be able to earn $2.00 a day. Members of the familv came to Wakefield in the middle '90's. Bro. Pearson was a shoe salesman for a while and then acquired a patent on a coated nail, and soon the Pearson Coated Nails were nationally known. His rise was rapid and he invested in crude materials, iron ore, etc. With J. P. Morgan he formed the American Bridge Company and was the second largest owner of stock, Mr. Morgan holding the largest number of shares. Everything he touched seemed to turn to money, and he was a multimillionaire at the time of his death.

Bro. Pearson was much interested in Masonry and among his intentions was the erection of a Masonic Temple as a gift to the Lodge on the old Dr. Brown property, on the north corner of Chestnut and Main streets. He would have undoubtedly endowed the gift for he was far-sighted in business.

LODGE OFFICERS

Golden Rule Lodge has had only four Secretaries, Treasurers, and Tylers in 50 years. The Secretaries were Bros. Willis S. Mason, William H. Atwell, Jr., Ralph E. Sewell, and Richard W. Long, the present official whose copperplate records attract the admiration of all. Bro. Atwell served 25 years.

The Treasurers were Bro. Everett W. Eaton, who served 20 years, Charles B. Bowman, George W. Abbott, and James L. Locke, the present Treasurer.

The Tylers have been Bros. John F. Whiting, Daniel P. Rolfe, Judson Hunt, and Edmund Robinson, the present Tyler who has served over 25 years.

There have been 35 Masters of the Lodge: 5 each in the first and second decades, 7 each in the 3rd and 4th decades and 11 in the 5th decade, including the present Worshipful Master.

Two Past Masters have served as District Deputy Grand Masters, Rt. Wor. W. F. Deadman and Rt. Wor. L. L. McMaster.

A Past Master of another lodge is an affiliated member of this Lodge, and there have been five who have thus been affiliated, four of whom are now deceased.

Appropriate observances were made on the 25th anniversary of the Lodge in 1913, when a reception was tendered to the newly appointed District Deputy, Rt. Wor. W. F. Deadman.

The 40th anniversary was in 1928, when seven Charter members were living. At the 45th anniversary in 1933, Two charter members were present, Bros. C. A. Bowser and J. W. Grace.

During the World War Golden Rule Lodge upheld traditions of the Fraternity. Thirty-three members of the Lodge including our present Wor. Master, enlisted in various branches of the service. Unfortunately one member, Bro. Herbert E. Biggs, died of pneumonia Jan. 13, 1918, at Camp McArthur Aviation Field, Texas. A roll of honor bearing the names of Brethren who enlisted is displayed on the wall in the Lodge-room. The Lodge contributed generously to the local War Chest and bought Liberty Loan bonds, besides making liberal contributions to Masonic funds. Members of the Lodge worked unselfishly on local relief work.

Four fathers have witnessed the installation of their sons as Wor. Masters: Wor. Bro. W. D. Deadman and Bros. H. M. Dolbeare, Campbell D. Hines, of John Abbot Lodge, and Harry L. Daly, whose sons were respectively, Rt. Wor. William F. Deadman, Wor. Bros. Cyrus M. Dolbeare, Joseph A. Hines, and Leonard M. Daly.

Eight Wor. Bros. have had the privilege of raising their sons to the sublime degree of Master Mason: Wor. Bros. William D. Deadman, Richard S. Stout, Arlon S. Atherton, Walter F. Perkins, Forrest A. Seavey, Arthur S. Hill, J. Kenneth MacDonald, and Lauren L. McMaster. Wor. Bro. Hill was the only one who conferred this degree while presiding in the East.

The Past Masters' Association of the Seventh Masonic District was organized in November, 1913, largely through the efforts of the late Wor. Bro. Thomas F. Ringer who was the first temporary Secretary and Treasurer. Nine Past Masters of Golden Rule Lodge were among the Charter members. Golden Rule Lodge has been in the 7th Masonic District from the start. On Dec. 27, 1926, the district was divided and designated as the Malden and Melrose districts, with Golden Rule Lodge assigned to the Melrose section. Since 1888 four Lodges bave been formed in the entire district: Lodge of Stirling, Malden, in 1910; Fidelity Lodge, Melrose, in 1918; Galilean Lodge, Everett, in 1921 and Mount Scopus Lodge, Malden, in 1930. Fifty years ago Mount Carmel Lodge and Golden Fleece Lodge, both of Lynn, were in the 7th District.

Our Lodge is not the original Golden Rule Lodge in Massachusetts, for a Lodge bearing that name was instituted in 1815 in New Salem, Franklin County. It is assumed from incomplete records that the Lodge could not stand the anti-Masonic sentiment of that period together with evident lack of financial support in a rural community, for the Lodge lasted only about 14 years. Throughout the world, however, there are 21 namesake Lodges. Sixteen of these are in the United States, 2 in Ontario, 1 in Saskatchewan, 1 in Quebec, and 1 in England.

Four members of our Lodge have served as Eminent Commanders of Hugh de Payens Commandery No. 20, Knights Templar, of Melrose: Thomas Winship, George O. Sheldon, Edward Barker, and Lauren L. McMaster. Six members have served as Thrice Illustrious Masters of Melrose Council, Royal and Select Masters: Irving F. Ridlon, Forest A. Seavey, Elmer C. Richardson, Edward Barker, Ned C. Loud, and Percy H. Callbeck. Waverly Royal Arch Chapter, of Melrose, has been served by three High Priests from the Lodge: Thomas Winship, Irving F. Ridlon, and Frank L. Edson, while Reading Royal Arch Chapter has been served by thirteen members of Golden Rule Lodge: E. D. Weston, W. F. Perkins, I. A. Parsons, A. B. Weld, Rt. Ex. George O. Sheldon, E. A. Wilkins, H. L. Hall, Charles E. Montague, Edward Barker, J. K. Macdonald, R. F. Potter, I. T. Coates, and the present High Priest, Louis F. Andrews.

Golden Rule Lodge has been represented on the Grand Lodge Masonic Service Bureau for years, and the present chairman of the local committee is Wor. Bro. George E. Potter. It is of interest to note that a Wakefield resident, Wor. Bro. Charles H. Sargent, Jr., Presiding Master of Maj. Gen. Henry Knox Lodge, of Boston, is officially identified with the Masonic Service Bureau.

The first decade, from 1888 to 1897, included the terms of five Presiding Masters: Wor. Bros. William D. Deadman, Richard S. Stout, Arlon S. Atherton, James Driver, and Walter F. Perkins, all now deceased. Enthusiasm in Masonry naturally characterized the first year of the Lodge, and about 200 attended the Constitution of the Lodge, January 10, 1889. There were no special communications during two years of the decade, 1891 and 1892.

The first ladies' night was held March 4, 1891, when local talent furnished most of the program. Other ladies' nights were held in 1892, 1893, and 1895.

The 250th anniversary of Ancient Redding, including Reading, Wakefield, and North Reading, was duly observed in May, 1894, and Hugh De Payens Commandery participated in the parade. Golden Rule Lodge entertained the visitors.

A quartet composed of Lodge members assisted for the first time in the installation ceremonies, Jan. 11, 1894: Bros. George E. Dunbar, George H. Pierce, William B. Daniel, and C. A. Jones.

No local observance of St. John's Day was made in this decade, but on two occasions Golden Rule Lodge joined other Lodges at services in Melrose, in 1894, and in Woburn in 1896.

There were five Worshipful Masters in the second decade from 1898 to t9O7: Wor. Bros. Erastus D. Weston, Edward A. Wilkins, Charles B. Bowman, Albert W. Flint, and William P. Shepard, four of whom are now deceased. It was during this decade that the famous Pearson banquet took place, in 1900. The first and only local observance of St. John's Day was observed Sunday, June 22, 1901, when the Lodge attended services at the Universalist Church upon invitation of Rev. Bro. Thomas W. Illman, Pastor of the church.

As in the previous decade, there were two years when no special communications were held, 1898 and 1902. There were three ladies' nights, in 1900, 1905, and 1907.

The Spanish War took place in this decade and five members of the Lodge enlisted: Col. Charles F. Woodward, Maj. George H. Tavlor, Sgt. Maj. Charles E. Hussey, Hospital Steward Stephen E. Ryder, and Sgt. Alton R. Sedgley, all in the 6th Rgt., M. V. M.

At several meetings of the Lodge during the decade Grand Army veterans, who were members of the Fraternity, were entertained by the Lodge and special programs were outstanding occasions.

The third decade, 1908 to 1917, included the terms of seven Masters: Wor. Bros. Mortimer L. Haris, Rt. Wor. William F. Deadman, William S. Dennison, Henry L. Hall, Thomas F. Ringer, William H. Tay, and William O. Abbott, two of whom have passed on, Bros. Ringer and Tay.

It is interesting to note that two public installations were held during the decade. These events were evidently considered sufficient for the entertainment of ladies, for no other ladies' nights were held in that period. Both installations were in the Town Hall and were the only ceremonies of the kind ever held by the Lodge. The first was on Dec. 10, 1910, when Wor. Master Dennison and associates were installed, and the second was on Dec. 28, 1916, when Wor. Master Abbott and associates assumed office.

Saint John's Day was observed every year during the decade and the custom has since been followed. Harmony Chapter No. 60, O.E.S., attended the services for the first time in 1911 and the Chapter has attended every similar observance since then.

The 25th anniversary of the Lodge was observed in 1913 when about 300 attended and on the same occasion a reception was tendered to Rt. Wor. William F. Deadman in honor of his apgnintment as D.D.G.M.

The World War was in progress during the closing year of the decade.

As in the previous decade, there were seven Presiding Masters in the fourth period from 1918 to 1927. Wor. Bros. Forrest A. Seavey, Elmei C. Richardson, William F. Gerry, Edward Barker, George W. Fifield, Dr. T. Fulton Parks, and Arthur S. Hill. Of this number three have passed awayi Bros. Seavey, Gerry, and Hill.

The first year of the decade marked the close of the World War, reference to which has already been made.

On July 23, 1923, a reception was tendered to Wor. Bro. William D. Deadman, first Master of the Lodge, on the occasion of his 80th birthday anniversary, at which about 150 Masons from Reading, Stoneham, Melrose, Malden, and Lynn joined our own Brethren in the festivities. Wor. Master Gerry presided.

The Lodge voted to change terms of office from two years to one year, commencing with the year 1924, and the fiscal year of the Lodge was changed from December to September first, in 1926.

As in the case of most of the Masonic Lodges, the earlier part of the decade during and following the World War was marked by abnormal increases in membership. The ritualistic work performed duiing the two-year term of Wor. Bro. Richardson, 1920 and 1927, established a record that will probably never be equalled by Golden Rule Lodge. Besides twenty regular communications for the two years, there were 45 special communications. Many of these sessions commenced at one o'clock in the afternoon and often lasted late into the night. On some of these occasions the Ladies Social Circle of the Universalist Church furnished special dinners. During the term of Wor. Bro. Richardson 137 candidates were made Master Masons, and the apron presented to him contained all of the names. The Iargest number of applications received at any meeting was on January 13, 1921, when 17 petitions were received. At the meeting on October 14, 1920, 14 applications were read. Needless to note that the extra meetings and unusual interest in the degree work created the largest attendance records in the history of the Lodge.

Ladies'nights were held five years, in 1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, and 1927. At the St. John's Day observances Hugh De Payens Commandery and Reading Commandery served as escorts on four occasions.

The scheduled official visitation of the Lodge on October 10, 1918 was the most unusual event of the kind, for only Wor. Master Seavey and three officers attended. The visiting officials met the officers of the Lodge in the ante-room and after examining the records, etc. the functioning of the Lodge officers was officially declared O. K. The Board of Health, in common with similar boards, had banned all public gatherings due to the infiuenza epidemic, thus accounting for the novel experience.

The official dedication of the new organ installed by the Lodge took place on April 8, 1926, when Wor. Master T. Fulton Parks presided. The program was in charge of Wor. Bro. Barker; Rev. Bro. Warren S. Perkins, pastor of the Universalist Church offered the dedicatory prayer. An organ recital followed.

The custom of presenting a Past Master's apron to the newly installed Master on the night of his installation was inaugurated December 8, 1927.

The fifth decade, from 1928 to 1937, comprised the terms of ten Wor. Masters: Wor. Bros. J. K. Macdonald, Rt. Wor. L. L. McMaster, Ned C. Loud, Cyrus M. Dolbeare, Roy A. Hovey, Irving F. Ridlon, George E. Potter, Joseph A. Hines, John B. Server, and Leonard M. Daly. The changing of the Lodge year in 1926 to September naturally brought part of the decade under the term of the present presiding Worshipful Master, Wor. Andrew W. Hutchinson. The larger part of the activities under his term of service will obviously become a part of the next decade's records.

It is safe to assume that there were more activities in the fifth decade than in any of the three previous periods.

For the second time in the history of the Lodge members were honored by the appointment of one of its Past Masters, Wor. Bro. McMaster as Disrict Deputy Grand Master for the Melrose Seventh Masonic District.

During the term of Wor. Bro. McMaster as Master of the Lodge, in 1929, much favorable publicity was created by a unique experiment inaugurated by him in successfully promoting larger attendance at Lodge meetings. Noting that the average attendance at all Lodge meetings in the state was only about five per cent of membership, Wor. Bro. McMaster decided to devote the ten regular sessions of the Lodge to the interests of members. A fellowship committee of ten was appointed for each of the regular meetings, each committee member to select ten others. Each committee was responsible for an entertainment or speaker at the monthly meeting assigned. The experiment showed amazing results for the total attendance in 1929 was 1826 as against an average attendance of about 1200 in previous years. Over 100 attended most of the meetings, with 200 at some of the sessions. The experiment, though at first questioned by some, aroused the curiosity of Grand Lodges, not only in the Massachusetts jurisdiction but as far away as Idaho. Congratulatory letters were received by the originator of the idea and the requests were made for an explanation of the proposition. These articles appeared in a number of Masonic publications in various parts of the country.

During the winters of 1929, 1930, and 1931 fraternal bowling matches were held by teams representing Souhegan Lodge No. 38, I.O.O.F. and Golden Rule Lodge. This social innovation created a very popular fraternal spirit and all who participated were much gratified.

In order to provide for an existing emergency and for the future, the Lodge purchased a large burial lot in Forest Glade Cemetery in 1934, during the term of Wor. Master Potter. A dignified monument was purchased from Bro. George F. Ames and the dedication ceremonies took place Sunday, October 21, 1934. Wor. Master Hines presided and Wor. Bro. Potter, Rt. Wor. Bro. McMaster, and Wor. Bro. Hovey participated in the exercises.

There were seven ladies' nights in the decade, including a glee club concert in 1929 which netted $126.30, a most remarkable financial experience for the Lodge. The comedy, Are You a Mason? was presented in 1931 with a cast of 14 Lodge members, while in 1936 a memorable melodrama of the Gay Nineties Silas, the Chore Boy made a hit that will always be recalled with an exceptional degree of pleasure. In both of the latter instances parts were taken by members of the Lodge, revealing unusual and unbelievable talent.

One of the innovations in the history of the Lodge was the inauguration of Saint John's Day breakfasts, originated by Wor. Master Roy A. Hovey in 1932. This custom continued for three succeeding years. Toasts followed the breakfast on each occasion, and the experience was enjoyed by the members.

Both the 40th and 45th anniversaries were observed in the years 1928 and 1933.

It was also during this decade that the 35th Lodge of Instruction was instituted, and officers of the Lodge participated in the work and lectures at various sessions throughout the district. Golden Rule Lodge has acted as host several times. In 1935 Rt. Wbr. Bro. McMaster was appointed Zone Committeeman of the Department of Education of the Grand Lodge, which included the 35th Lodge of Instruction.

It was noted by Wor. Bro. Fifield at the installation of Wor. Master Cyrus Dolbeare, that the latter was the youngest Master ever installed in this Lodge, having just passed his 30th birthday anniversary. The youngest Master previously installed was 33, while the oldest among the 35 past masters was Wor. E. D. Weston (1898-99) who was 63. The average age of our past Masters during these fifty years has been 44 1/3 years.

At the official visitation of Rt. Wor. Bro. McMaster November 10, 1932, there were 103 visiting Past or Presiding Masters on his accompanying suite, the largest gathering of the kind in the history of the Lodge.

During the fifth period, also, Rt. Wor. Bro. McMaster and Wor. Bro. Parks had the distinction of installing officers eight years out of eleven, and Bro. Parks served the other three years either as installing officer or marshal, with Wor. Bros. Barker and Fifield. It was the only period where two Past Masters of the Lodge installed so many newly chosen officers.

The present membership of the Lodge is 479, of which 56 are Life Members and 20 are Honorary Members.

75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, FEBRUARY 1963

From Proceedings, Page 1963-1:

In the year 1798, ninety years before the first regular communication of Golden Rule Lodge, Joseph Cordis and others presented a petition to the Grand fodge of Masons in Massachusetts praying that a Charter be granted to hold a Lodge in the Town of Reading, this Lodge to bear the name Mount Moriah. In 1812, the first parish of the Town of Reading, in which Mount Moriah Lodge was located, was, by Legislative Act, incorporated as a town by the name of South Reading, which name was eventually changed to Wakefield.

Thus begins the history of Freemasonry in Wakefield. Mount Moriah Lodge, which met in the old Lafayette House on Church Street, now known as the Col. James Hartshorne House, existed for approximately fifty years. The date of its dissolution is not clearly established, but apparently it was somewhere between 1835 and 1848. It is known, howwer, that although the Lodge was not active, the Charter in 1848 was in the hands of Bro. Joel Winship, who was not at all inclined to part with it. When Grand Lodge sent the Grand Sword Bearer to Bro. Winship to reclaim the Charter for Grand Lodge, it is recorded that Bro. Winship's refusal was, among other comments, "Quite abrupt." Grand Lodge, needless to say, took the necessary action and eventually did recover the Charter.

This happened in that earlier portion of the last century when Freemasonry was in what has become known as "the period of persecution." This storm of anti-Masonic feeling which had started in Bavaria swept across Europe and to the United States, and was at its height from 1826 to 1843. It is recorded that Wakefield, Reading, Stoneham and Melrose were a hot-bed of anti-Masonic feeling. These were trying times for all Masons, and the mortality of Lodges was high. Of 107 Lodges on the roster in 1826 only 52 remained in 1843.

The persecution fell not only on the Fraternity as an institution, but on individual members. Its form was political, religious, and economic. Masons, in many instances, were ruined in business, cut ofi from working for their church, and ostracized socially and politically.

Those who, through this period and for many years thereafter, were able to cling steadfastly to their Masonic beliefs and proclaim themselves as Masons, and continue to walk artd act as such, were at once the inheritors and progenitors of the Fraternity as we know it today. It was men of this calibre, who, on Nov. 7, 1887, responded to the invitation of Bro. Willis S. Mason to meet in the lower anteroom of Odd Fellows' Hall with the object of forming a Masonic Lodge in Wakefield.

Out of this and subsequent meetings, and with the approval of Wyoming Lodge of Melrose, Good Samaritan Lodge of Reading, and King Cyrus Lodge of Stoneham, fifty-five Masons residing in Wakefield were granted a dispensation by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, and the first regular communication of Golden Rule Lodge was held on Thursday evening, February 9, 1888, in Odd Fellows' Hall, Wakefield. This communication was under the direction of Wor. William D. Deadman, the first Master of Golden Rule Lodge and the prototype in his devotion to the Lodge of the fifty-nine men who over the past 75 years have followed him in that station.

From 1888 to 1938 Golden Rule Indge prospered and grew. It survived World War I and the difrcult post-war years of national change and readjustment. It weathered the Great Depression of the early 30's and in January, 1938, in the term of Wor. Andrew W. Hutchinson, celebrated its Fiftieth Anniversary. The history of those first fifty years of our existence was written by Bro. Harris Mason Dolbeare to be read at the Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration. Bro. Dolbeare spent many months in research and writing, and produced a Lodge History that for accuracy, detail, documentation and interest is undoubtedly second to none. Bro. Dolbeare did not read his History at this Fiftieth Anniversary. He died the day before the celebration started, and was deeply mourned by the Lodge. It was left for Wor. Cyrus Mason Dolbeare, his son and successor, to perform this service for his father.

Golden Rule Lodge started its second half-century in ominous times. The storm clouds of war were gathering in Europe, the German Third Reich, under Adolph Hitler, was in its ascendency, and the world was trying to recover from the economic devastation of the depression. The Lodge, however, though like every individual and organization having to watch its finances very closely, entered this fifty-first year with vigor and confidence.

As though to prove that our past was still with us, our Masonic forbears were re-introduced when in the first meeting of our fifty-first year, in April, 1938, Wor. T. Fulton Parks presented to Golden Rule Lodge on behalf of Mr. Lewis E. Carter, a nonmember, the Officers' Jewel Box of Mount Moriah Lodge.

In September, Wor. R. Edgar Fisher was elected Master of Golden Rule Lodge, and installed by Wor. Roy A. Hovey. It was at that meeting that the Lodge accepted the bequest of Bro. Richard C. Stout in the amount of $2,000. The bequest provided that the income only from this money is to be used at the discretion of the Master to aid such members of the Lodge who, by reason of illness, require financial assistance. In memory of Bro. Stout's father, the second Master of Golden Rule Lodge, this fund was to be named the Richard S. Stout Fund. The money was placed, and still is, in the hands of the Trustees.

In September of that year also occurred the famous "Hurricane of 1938," and it was reported by Wor. T. Fulton Parks at the regular communication that this storm had caused much damage at the Masonic Home and Hospital, particularly in the destruction of many old and commemorative trees. In December, the Lodge was honored by the appointment by the Grand Master of Wor. Roy A. Hovey to be District Deputy Grand Master for the Melrose Seventh Masonic District, the third member in the history of Golden Rule Ircdge to be so honored. Rt. Wor. Bro. Hovey paid his first visit to Golden Rule Lodge in January, 1939, and his reception committee had, as co-chairmen, Rt. Wor. Bro. Deadman and Rt. Wor. Bro. Lauren L. McMaster, the two other members who previously held his ofrce. Rt. Wor. Bro. Hovey was accompanied by two Past Masters of Golden Rule Lodge, Wor. Andrew W. Hutchinson as District Deputy Grand Secretary, and Wor. Irving F. Ridlon as District Deputy Grand Marshal.

It was in 1939 that the 35th Lodge of Instruction was privileged to have as guest speaker Bro. Leverett Saltonstall, Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. As this year marked the 150th anniversary of the inauguration of Wor. George Washington as the first President of the United States, one hundred members of the Lodge attended Divine Worship in the Universalist Church in Wakefield in commemoration of this event.

September marked the beginning of another Masonic year by the election of Bro. Colby L. Burbank as Master of Golden Rule Lodge, and his installation by Wor. Lawson W. Oakes, Past Master of Eliot Lodge of Jamaica Plain.

The war clouds which had been threatening at the time of our Fiftieth Anniversary broke in September of 1939, with the invasion of Poland by Germany and declaration of war by England and France. Europe was at war, and what was to become the Second World War had started.

Wor. Bro. Burbank led the Lodge through a successful term of office, in the process honoring, by a specially dedicated meeting, both the Secretary and Treasurer of the Lodge. Bro. Richard W. Long had, at that time, been Secretary for 18 years, and Bro. James L. Locke had been Treasurer for 15 years.

Under Wor. H. Prescott Boyce, who was installed as Master by Rt. Wor. Roy A. Hovey in September, 1940, the Lodge continued the high quality of its work and grew in the spirit of friendship and brotherhood. Once again our ancient brethren were called to our attention by the presentation to the Lodge by Mr. Lewis Carter of a table used by Mount Moriah Lodge of Wakefield. It was in Wor. Byo. Boyce's term of office that Rt. Wor. Roy A. Hovey paid his last official visit to his home Lodge, arrd upon completion of his visit was given a standing ovation by the members.

St. John's Sunday was celebrated in the First Baptist Church, with members parading to church, escorted by thirty members of the Hugh de Payens Commandery in Melrose.

Wor. Everett S. Webster was elected Master in September, 1941, and installed by Rt. Wor. Lauren L. McMaster. Shortly thereafter, wor. Bro. Webster was taken ill and spent considerable time in the hospital. He was not able to reassume the East until March, 1942. Meanwhile, on December 7, 1941, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, and the United States declared war on Japan and Germany. The European war that had started in 1939 had truly become the Second World War, and with the rest of the nation, Golden Rule Lodge sent many of its members and sons of members into the armed forces, and in this first year of our involvement joined with other Lodges in service to all Masons and their sons serving their country. Before the end of Wor. Bro. Webster's term of office, the effects of wartime economy were beginning to be felt. Gasoline was rationed, and many articles were in short supply. It is recorded that tea was so scarce at the Masonic Home that Lodges in the Fifth District took up a tea collection and colrected forty pounds which they donated to the Home.

In September, 1942, when Wor. Robert H. MacDonald was installed as Master, the Grand Master had asked that wherever possible all meetings be over by 10:00 p.m. A blackout was in force and travel was difficult. Nevertheless, B0 members and guests were on hand to see Wor. Bro. Macdonald installed by Rt. Wor. Roy A. Hovey, assisted by Wor. J. Kenneth MacDonald, father of the new Master, and Wor. Irving F. Ridlon. It was recorded that this was the second time in the history of the Lodge that a father installed his son as Master. The first time was when Wor. William D. Deadman, our first Master, installed his son, Rt. Wor. William F. Deadman.

[n December of 1942, Wor. Cyrus M. Dolbeare presented the Lodge with a Service Flag on behalf of the Dolbeare family, the youngest son of which was then serving on Guadalcanal.

September, 1943, saw the election of Wor. Louis F. Andrews as Master, and also a turn for the better in our country's fortunes in the war, particularly in the Pacific. Our young men were being taken into the service in large numbers, and many took their Masonic Degrees in strange and different lodges. Golden Rule Lodge, however, continued to prosper, many applications were coming in, and the membership devoted their energies to the war effort.

The installation of Wor. Allston VanWagner in September, 1944, was, to say the least, unusual. A hurricane hit town on that night, and at the request of the civil authorities the installation program was abruptly terminated at 9:30 p.m. All members were ordered to return to their homes and get their automobiles off the main street. In February, 1945, Wor. Bro. VanWagner's meeting was again brought to an unscheduled close by the vagaries of our New England weather, this time a blizzard. Due to conditions, several out-of-town members were taken care of in the homes of Wakefield brethren; others spent the night in Odd Fellows' Hall, while others were put up in the State Armory. It was in this year that the office of Alternate Officer was first introduced to Golden Rule Lodge.

In 1945, also, the war was brought to a victorious conclusion by the unconditional surrender of both Germany and Japan, and Golden Rule Lodge rejoiced with the Nation, and prayers of thanks for our victory were offered In these happy circumstances Wor. William A. Rattray was installed as Master by Wor. Colby L. Burbank, assisted by Wor. H. Prescott Boyce and Bro. E. Walter Packard.

During the war years, Golden Rule Lodge received many applications for membership, and the Lodge membership was increased by twenty-seven.

At the regular comrnunication, June 13, 1946, a petition was read to form a new lodge in Lynnfield, and in this year our new neighboring lodge was instituted and became part of the Melrose Seventh Masonic District. This interest in Masonry continued during the term of Wor. Harvey P. Morrison, Jr., who was installed in September, 1946, and who, in addition to the regular communications, held nine special communications. In that year, the Lodge voted on 66 candidates and raised 28.

In April of 1947, it was voted to change the bylaws to permit the election of officers to be held in June rather than September. This change was most beneficial to the newly-elected Master, as it gave him the summer months to plan for the ensuing year.

The influx of applications continued unabated through the year of Wor. Carl I. Cheever, who was installed by Wor. Everett S. Webster in 1947. The Lodge held a Regular and Special Communication every month, and each meeeting had a full class of candidates. Even with all this, a large number were left for Wor. Roland B. Oliver, who was installed Master in 1948. Wor. Bro. Oliver was installed by Wor. H. Prescott Boyce, assisted by Wor. Colby L. Burbank and Rev. Bro. Ralph J. Bertholf, and, like his predecessor, held Special Communications to keep up with the increasing requests for admission. It was not unusual, at that time, for a candidate to wait one year to eighteen months between the time of his election and the taking of his first degree.

It was during Wor. Bro. Oliver's term that Wor. Henry L. Hall and Wor. Irving F. Ridlon received their 50-year membership medals, as well as Bros. Eden K. Bowser, George W. Rickards and Everett B. Whiton. In May, 1949, Iout fathers had the distinction of raising their sons to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason.

Wor. Lawrence Davis, installed in September, t949, conducted the Lodge through a most interesting and successful year. In February, however, the untimely death of our Past Master, Wor. Colby L. Burbank, shocked the membership. A eulogy to our late Past Master was read by Wor. Roland B. Oliver, with one copy going to Wor. Bro. Burbank's family, and one copy being inserted in the records.

The "Old Timers' Night," honoring those who had been members of Golden Rule Lodge for twenty-five years or more, held in March, 1950, was attended by more than two hundred members. Many old acquaintances were renewed, and brethren came from many distant communities to attend. At that meeting, eight fifty-year members were seated in the East during a ceremony in which three more received their Veteran's Medals.

In December of 1950, during the term of Wor. Eugene A. Wall, who was installed in September by Wor. Louis F. Andrews, the Lodge was, for the fourth time in its history, selected to provide a District Deputy Grand Master for the Melrose Seventh Masonic District. Rt. Worshipful Cyrus Mason Dolbeare, accompanied by his District Deputy Grand Marshal, Wor. Carl I. Cheever, his District Deputy Grand Secretary, Wor. Allston VanWagner, and a large suite of officers, paid his first visit to the Lodge, and was presented his District Deputy's Jewel by Wor. George W. Fifield. This was a most auspicious appointment, as Rt. Wor. "Cy" was admired and respected by the entire membership.

The Lodge was twice bereaved in this year, first by the death of Wor. William O. Abbott, who had been Master of Golden Rule Lodge during the years 1916-1917, then by the death of Wor. T. Fulton Parks, Master during the year 19'26.

In September of 1951, Wor. Loren B. Sjostrom was installed Master of Golden Rule Lodge by his brother, Wor. Frederic L. Sjostrom, Past Master of John Hancock Lodge of Methuen. For many years, the financial stability of the Lodge, in any given term, was greatly dependent upon the number of candidates received, and there were times when the Master was in constant danger of running into a deficit. It was Wor. Bro. Sjostrom who laid the foundation for certain changes in the financial structure of the Lodge that tended to relieve some of this pressure from those who followed him. His foresight has been greatly appreciated by those who have since served in the East.

It was Wor. Bro. Sjostrom, also, who re-instituted Golden Rule Lodge's Service Committee lobster supper in June, which has become almost a tradition in the Lodge. For this, he has the continued appreciation of the Members.

In September of 1953, the Lodge saw another Master installed by his brother. Wor. George D. Rattray was installed by Wor. William A. Rattray, Past Master of Golden Rule Lodge, while Wor. Allston VanWagner installed the balance of the officers.

This was a year of innovation and accomplishment, touched, as always, by a little sadness. In December, Wor. Bro. Rattray appointed a committee consisting of wor. Joseph A. Hines, Wor. Loren B. Sjostrom and Bro. Robert J. Gibb to look into the possibilities of forming a DeMolay Chapter in Wakefield under the sponsorship of Golden Rule Lodge. This project was completely successful. The necessary 50 young men between the ages of 16 and 21 signed the required petition, Grand Lodge granted permission for Golden Rule Lodge to be one of the first Blue Lodges in the state to sponsor a DeMolay Chapter, the necessary funds were raised from the members of the Lodge, and in February Wor. Bro. Rattray appointed Wor. Joseph A. Hines the first Dad Advisor of Wakefield Chapter, Order of DeMolay. This Chapter, under the leadership of Dad Hines and the many dedicated Masons who followed him, has prospered and has become a credit to Golden Rule Lodge and the Town of Wakefield.

In February, also, a Special Communication was held "For the purpose of conducting a Masonic Funeral Service for our late and beloved Treasurer, Bro. James L. Locke." Brother Locke had served Golden Rule Lodge in the office of Treasurer for 29 years, and his passing was deeply mourned by the members and all who knew him. His eulogy was read by Wor. Joseph A. Hines and inserted in the records.

At the election of officers in June, Bro. John B. Walsh was elected Master, and Wor. William A. Rattray, who had served as Acting Treasurer since the death of Bro. Locke, was elected Treasurer, which position he has held, and now holds, with distinction.

In September, Wor. George D. Rattray, whose year in office was highly commended by Bro. Richard W. Long, Secretary, was succeeded by Wor. John B. Walsh, installed as Master by Wor. William A. Rattray.

The wave of candidates that had been flowing over the Lodge since the end of World War II created in the year 1953-1954. Applications came in such numbers that one regular and two special communications were held each month in an effort to keep up with the desire of men to become Masons.

On November 13th, however, the Lodge suffered another grave loss. Bro. Richard W. Long, who had served Golden Rule Lodge as Secretary since 1923, passed away. He had served the Lodge continuously for thirty years, truly a just and upright Mason, and his passing was mourned throughout the District.

In December, 1954, by special permission of the Grand Lodge, a Special Election was held, and Wor. Allston VanWagner was elected Secretay, which post he, too, has since filled with honor and distinction.

At that December meeting, the jewel of the late Wor. Henry L. Hall was presented to the Lodge by Rt. Wor. Cyrus M. Dolbeare in behalf of Bro. Phillips R. Hall. This was to be worn as the Presiding Master's Jewel by the Master of Golden Rule Lodge, and passed on by him to his successor. This was gratefully accepted by Wor. Bro. Walsh on behalf of the Lodge, who, in compliance with the terms of the gift, became the first to wear this presiding Master's Jewel

Looking ahead ten year Wor. Bro. Walsh set up the 75th Anniversary Fund by setting aside $100 of Lodge funds to be used for this purpose, with the hope that those who followed him in the East for the next ten years would do likewise. It can now be reported that this wish was fulfilled.

At the March meeting, which was also the annual Past Masters' Night, Bro. Edmund Robinson, who had retired after serving the Lodge as Tyler for 39 years was made Tyler Emeritus. "Robbie", as he was afiectionately known, moved to California, where he still resides.

By September, 1954, the Lodge had taken in fifty-one new members - 10 by affiliation and 41 by taking the degrees, - and upon the expiration of his term of office Wor. Bro. Walsh was highly complimented.

When Wor. Frederick S. Morrison succeeded to the East, the storm of applications abated somewhat (somewhat to the relief of the Junior Officers), and it was necessary to hold Special Communications only in September, October, November and again in June for the purpose of conferring the degrees. It is also recorded that in December of that year our Tyler, Bro. Fred S. Grant, received his fifty-year Veteran's Medal. It was presented on behalf of Most Worshipful Whitfield W. Johnson, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, by Rt. Wor. Albert Brown, District Deputy Grand Master for the Melrose Seventh Masonic District. It is further recorded that after the presentation the members stood, and, led by Rt. Wor. Bro. Brown, accorded Bro. Grant the private honors of a Mason.

In June, 1955, Bro. Walter E. Cole was elected Master, and installed in September by Wor. George D. Rattray, assisted by Wor. John B. Walsh, Wor. Roland B. Oliver and Wor. Loren B. Sjostrom.

At the Regular Communication of March 8, 1956, the Lodge was once again the recipient of a bequest from the Stout family. This was from the estate of Bro. William J. Stout in the amount of $1000 and was specified to become a part of the Richard S. Stout Fund, with the same conditions as the original bequest. The Worshipful Master accepted this with thanks on behalf of the Lodge, and the money was placed in the hands of the Trustees and became a part of the Richard S. Stout Fund as requested.

Though the number of applications had lessened, the Lodge again increased its membership, - having gained twenty-one new members, and lost nine by death and demit, and it is recorded that Wor. Bro. Cole was praised by the District Deputy Grand Master as having done "a good job for his Lodge and for Masonry'".

Wor. Charles F. Maxfield was installed in Septembet, 1956, and immediately announced plans to have the Lodge visit our namesake, Golden Rule Lodge #32, in Putney, Vermont, and raise one of our own candidates "Massachusetts Style" for the edification of our Vermont brethren. This visit occurred November 3rd and was attended by 53 members o{ Golden Rule Lodge of Wakefield, who traveled to Putney by bus and by automobile, and had a most enjoyable experience.

This being the year of the 100th Anniversary of Wyoming Lodge of Melrose, the oldest Lodge in the Melrose Seventh Masonic District, and one of the sponsoring Lodges for the formation of Golden Rule Lodge of Wakefield, the officers and brethren attended the various ceremonies held in connection with the celebration of this anniversary. our congratulations and best wishes were sent to our Masonic neighbors.

Again, time took its toll, and in May, 1957, another of our Past Masters joined the Celestial L,odge. Wor. Carl I. Cheever, who was Master of Golden Rule Lodge in 1947 and District Deputy Grand Marshal for Rt. Wor. Cyrus M. Dolbeare in 1951 and 1952, passed away. This was followed in July by the death of Wor. Louis F. Andrews, Master of Golden Rule Lodge in 1943.

It is recorded that in this year Freemasonry in the area took a step forward by the constitution of North Reading Lodge in the neighboring town of North Reading, and many of the members of Golden Rule I-odge attended the ceremony.

At the June meeting, Wor. Bro. Maxfield, noting the growth and vigor of the Lodge, appointed a survey committee to review the need of the Lodge for space in which to hold its meetings; out of this review committee and their recommendations that the Lodge actively plan {or a new building, grew the Building Committee of Golden Rule Lodge.

For the third time in its long history, Golden Rule Lodge saw a Past Master of the Lodge install his son in the East, when Wor. L. Burnham Davis was installed by his father, Wor. Lawrence Davis, in September, 1957. In that same month, Bro. Ralph G. Eames, Inside Sentinel of Golden Rule Lodge and Past High Priest of the Reading Royal Arch Qhapter, was installed Illustrious Master of the Melrose Council of Royal and Select Masters. In October, the brethren of Golden Rule Lodge #32, Putney, Vermont, returned the visit of Golden Rule Lodge by coming to Wakefield and raising one of their own candidates "Vermont Style." The excellent work of the officers of the Vermont Lodge and the somewhat different ritual, made this an enjoyable event for all.

Mount Vernon Lodge of Malden celebrated its 100th Anniversary, and in this year Grand Lodge voted to permit the First Degree to be conferred in Short Form.

Again, the Lodge suffered the loss of two distinguished Masons: Wor. Andrew W. Hutchinson, who was Master of Golden Rule Lodge at the time of our 50th Anniversary, and Bro. John J. Round. Bro. Round was an upright Mason and a noted citizen of Wakefield, and his passing was mourned by the entire community.

An event without precedent in Masonic Lodges in this area, and very possibly in the entire state, occurred in the term of Wor. Albert C. Loubris, who was installed by Wor. Walter E. Cole in September, 1958. Rt. Wor. William F. Deadman of 21 Park Avenue, the son of the first Master of Golden Rule Lodge, and Master in 1909, was honored by the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts, and by his home lodge, upon the completion of fifty years as a Past Master of Golden Rule Lodge. A citation by the Grand Lodge, signed by Most Wor. Andrew G. Jenkins, was read and presented to him, while Golden Rule Lodge presented Rt. Wor. Bro. Deadman a S0}-year Past Master's Pin, especially designed for this occasion by Bro. Gilbert B. Oakes, a member of Golden Rule Lodge. Wor. Bro. Loubris, presenting the pin, paid high tribute to Rt. Wor. Bro. Deadman.

In March, Wor. Bro. Loubris appointed a committee to prepare revised Bylaws of Golden Rule Lodge, again an example of the foresight so often displayed by the leadership of the Lodge.

The spirit of Golden Rule Lodge was never better exemplified than when, on request of the Master, twenty-two of the brethren gave blood direct to save the life of a child in a Boston Hospital.

The roll of our departed past Masters was again increased by the death of Wor. Eugene A. Wall, Master of Golden Rule Lodge in 1951.

To lead this Lodge, which was continually growing in reputation and stature throughout both the Malden'and Melrose Masonic Districts, the brethren elected Bro. Paul W. Cameron, who was installed as Master in September, 1959, by Wor. Loren B. Sjostrom. Early in the term of Wor. Bro. Cameron, the Master and the Lodge were twice saddened, first by the death of Wor. Irving F. Ridlon, Master of Golden Rule Lodge in 1933, then by the death of Rt. Wor. William F. Deadman, who had, the year previous, finished 50 years as a Past Master of Golden Rule Lodge.

It was while Wor. Bro. Cameron was in office that Most Wor. Thomas Sherrard Roy was serving as interim pastor of the First Baptist Church in Wakefield. The Lodge was twice privileged to hear Most Wor. Bro. Roy: once when he spoke to the lodge on the "Duties of the Grand Master," and again on St. John's Sunday, when he presented a truly outstanding sermon. Both of these events will be long remembered by those who attended them.

Another event instituted by Wor. Bro. Cameron, which will also be long remembered by those fortunate enough to have attended, is the now famous "Lobster Bisque Collation." At the time, the Lodge was not too long on cash, and the collation, though excellent, was, in the eyes of the Master, a little expensive. Time has proven that the fun and friendship engendered among the members by that collation, and which continues today, made this one of the best investments the Master could have made.

It was recorded that Wor. Bro. Cameron through his love of Masonry, his sincerity and deep religious faith, truly "Graced the East" of the Golden Rule Lodge.

Many changes were coming for Golden Rule Lodge, when, in June, 1960, the brethren elected Bro. James E. Hewes as Master, and saw him installed in September by Wor. George D. Rattray on what proved to be the hottest night of that summer. Wor. Hewes' year was also one of innovation and accomplishment. The Golden Rule Third Degree Choir was formed under the direction of Bro. Joseph Michael O'Connor, and the fine voices of these men added to the beauty and solemnity of that degree.

With the permission of Grand Lodge, the Lodge presented a Minstrel Show, the profit from which was to become part of the Building Fund. This was eminently successful, both from a monetary and public relations viewpoint, and the participation by more than sixty members of the Lodge re-awakened interest in the Fraternity and strengthened the ties of brotherly love and affection. Financially, it added approximately $1600 to the Building Fund.

In February, the Golden Rule Lodge Building Committee was re-formed as the "Wakefield Masonic Building Association," which later purchased land on Salem Street for the purpose of building a Masonic Temple. It must be noted that this is the second time that Golden Rule Lodge has owned land on which it was the intention to erect a Masonic Temple. The first time was in 1910, when the Lodge owned land on Chestnut Street. This land was sold in 1920, and the Lodge continued to meet in its present quarters. There have been other opportunities in our past to arrange other meeting places under our own ownership, but these were never taken. It was the consensus of the Lodge that this program must be followed to a successful conclusion.

In that year (1960), the committee on Revision of Bylaws reported, and under the leadership of Wor. Bro. Hewes, the Lodge approved the revision and voted to increase the dues and initiation fees. These increases have put the lodge on a firm financial footing for the first time in many years.

In September of 1961, that most successful year drew to a close and Wor. Thomas E. Clague was installed as Master by Wor. John B. Walsh, assisted by Wor. George D. Rattray, Wor. Paul W. Cameron, and Rev. Bro. John V. Thorpe, Rector of Emmanuel Episcopal Church. This saw the start of our 75th year in February, 1962, and under the direction of Bro. Leonard F. Guerrette, Senior Warden, the committees were formed, with Wor. L. Burnham Davis as General Chairman, to begin planning our 75th Anniversary Celebration to take place in February, 1963.

The Master, having previously been approached by members of Lynnfield Lodge, who were desirous of joining Golden Rule Lodge in the erection of a Masonic Temple, brought this to the attention of the Wakefield Masonic Building Association. Grand Lodge granted the dispensation for both lodges to meet in the Town of Wakefield and still maintain their jurisdictional rights, hence both Lodges voted unanimously in favor of such a joint venture, and the initial steps were taken to have the Wakefield Masonic Building Association changed to the "Wakefield-Lynnfield Masonic Building Association." It is believed that this union between the two Lodges, which have such close ties, makes the building of the Wakefield-Lynnfield Masonic Temple a soon-to-be-accomplished reality.

A second Minstrel Show was held in April under the direction of Bros. Robert MacKenna and Herbert Allyn who had so successfully directed our first Minstrel Show. The results of this second show, in both interest and financial return, fully equalled that of the first, and the profit of another $1600 was added to the Building Fund.

During that year, Bro. Ralph G. Eames, our Senior Deacon, formed the "Linn Village Drum Band." Bro. Eames personally made the drums, which are exact replicas of Revolutionary War drums, and the band is clothed in authentic replicas o{ the uniform of the Continental Army. This band appeared for the first time in Wakefield at the Ladies' Night of Golden Rule Lodge, and then, on St. John's Sunday in June, led I 10 of the brethren and an escort of Knights Templar in parade to and from Emmanuel Episcopal Church. This band has traveled all over New England, and its fame is growing by leaps and bounds, a credit to Wakefield, and through its originator and director, to Golden Rule Lodge.

Our 75th year was drawing to its close when, in September, 1962, Bro. Leonard F. Guerrette, our present Master, was installed by Wor. Frederick S. Morrison. Golden Rule Lodge, which, in 1888, started with 55 Masons, in September of 1962 had 667, its finances were in good condition, and its members enthusiastic. Then, to add to our honors, in December,l962,Wor. Charles F. Maxfield was appointed District Deputy Grand Master for the Melrose Seventh Masonic District, and appointed Wor. L. Burnham Davis as District Deputy Secretary. Rt. Wor. Bro. Maxfield thus became the fifth member of Golden Rule Lodge to hold this high and honorable position.

It seems that Providence has a way of providing the right man for any given situation, as has been demonstrated many times in our history. In the election and installation of Wor. Leonard F. Guerrette, Golden Rule Lodge has again found such a man. He leads us not into our 76th year, but into the last quarter of our first century. As we celebrate the 75th years of Golden Rule Lodge, we are fully aware that we are the product of our Masonic past. Yet we are so much more. Like our ancient brethren we must become a secure foundation for the future. Let us then enter this last quarter of our century in the full flower of our vigor, so that, with God's help, should Golden Rule Lodge celebrate its 100th Anniversary in its own Temple, that future Master looking back can say "Well done, thou good and faithful servants."

OTHER

  • 1901 (Bro. Samuel K. Hamilton's speech at the Feast of St. John, 1901-232)
  • 1962 (Petition to occupy joint apartments with Lynnfield Lodge in Wakefield; 1962-227)

GRAND LODGE OFFICERS

OTHER BROTHERS


EVENTS

CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, JANUARY 1889

From Liberal Freemason, Vol. XII, No. 10, January 1889, Page 318:

Golden Rule Lodge, A. F. and A. M., of Wakefield, which has been working under a dispensation for the past year, received their Charter on the evening of January 10th. At 6.30, supper was served in the banquet hall, plates being laid for one hundred and fifty persons, and all were taken. After this, Worshipful Grand Master Henry Endicott and suite proceeded with the ceremonies of constitution and installation, music being furnished by the Mozart Quartette of Boston. The following are the officers of the Lodge: W. M., William D. Deadman; S. W., R. S. Stout; J. W., A. S. Atherton; Treasurer, E. W. Eaton; Secretary, W. S. Mason; Chaplain, J. G. Morrill; Marshal, S. J. Putney; S. D., W. B. Daniel; J. D., R. P. Buzzell; S. S., H. W. Dalrymple; J. S., C. T. Harrington; Organist, George F. Wilson; I. S., J. W. Grace; Tyler, J. F. Whiting.

25TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, JANUARY 1913

From New England Craftsman, Vol. VIII, No. 6, March 1913, Page 232:

Golden Rule Lodge of Wakefield, Mass., observed its twenty-fifth anniversary, January 30th. An historical address was delivered by Rt. Wor. Oliver A. Roberts, past Grand Warden, which was of much interest.

In connection with the anniversary observance, the occasion was made a complimentary testimonial to Past Master William F. Deadman who has been honored by the Grand Lodge by appointment as deputy of the 7th Masonic District. The celebration was public and there was a large number Present. Worshipful Master Thomas F. Ringer presided. Vocal music was rendered by the Lotus quartet. A collation was served in the banquet hall after the exercises. The anniversary exercises actually vegan on the preceding Sunday when the lodge marched to the Baptist church where a special service was conducted for them.

The following brethren are officers of the lodge: Thomas F. Ringer, Worshipful Master; William H. Tay, Senior Warden; William O. Abbott, Junior Warden; Charles B. Bowman, Treasurer; William H. Atwell, Secretary; Rev. Hugh A. Heath, D. D., Chaplain; Dr. T. Fulton Parks, Marshal; Forrest A. Seavey and Elmer C. Richardson, Deacons; William F. Gerry and Edward Baker, Stewards; Charles A. Jones, Organist and Edmund Robinson, Tyler.


DISTRICTS

1888: District 7 (Lynn)

1911: District 7 (Malden)

1927: District 7 (Melrose)

2003: District 13


LINKS

Lodge web site

Massachusetts Lodges


The curator for this page is Brother George J. Bibilos. Please direct informational updates and questions to him.