- 1 NORTH READING LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
NORTH READING LODGE
Location: North Reading
Chartered By: Whitfield W. Johnson
Charter Date: 09/12/1956 1956-296
Precedence Date: 12/12/1955
Current Status: Active
- Walter H. Schultz, 1955-1957
- Sumner F. Goldthwaite, 1958
- Carlton E. Cooke, 1959
- Clarence A. Fowler, 1960
- Arnold G. Cole, 1961; N
- Frederick A. Seddon, 1962; Mem
- Chapman B. Goodwin, 1963
- Ernest J. Snider, 1964
- Harold W. Chase, 1965
- Edwin H. Stiles, 1966
- Joseph A. Spousta, 1967
- E. Mason Strong, 1968
- John A. Backe, 1969
- Robert E. Stentiford, 1970
- Edson M. Larkin, 1971
- Harry F. Schemack, 1972
- Paul H. Hall, 1973
- Edward J. Ede, III, 1974
- Fred K. Bauer, 1975
- Abram F. Simmons, Jr., 1976
- Edward F. Piercey, 1977
- Norman E. Pepper, 1978
- Robert H. Pottle, 1979
- Larry D. Williams, 1980
- Charles M. Gore, 1981
- Anand K. Seth, 1982
- Wendell A. Berry, Jr., 1983
- Joseph F. Sadlow, 1984
- Kenneth R. Elliott, 1985
- Forrest G. Thurston, 1986
- Richard A. Gesualdo, 1987
- Glenn M. Alcorn, 1988
- William R. Currier, 1989; PDDGM
- David R. Lee, 1990; PDDGM
- Frank W. Kenrick, 1991
- Burt E. Kenty, 1992
- Russell F. Walters, 1993, 2007; PDDGM
- Alan B. Bennett, 1994
- Barry M. Devine, 1995
- William P. Wohfarth, 1996
- David C. Grieb, 1997
- David E. Reed, 1998
- William J. Medugno, 1999, 2006
- Michael A. Sandberg, 2000; PDDGM
- Gerald R. Duggan, 2001, 2011
- Barry A. Graf, 2002
- Stephen W. Beverage, 2003
- John R. Hudgins, 2004
- Robert S. Johnson, 2005
- John E. Soderblom, 2008, 2009
- Michael D. Wolfe, 2012
- Paul R. Schieding, 2013
- Daniel R. Kilpatrick, 2014, 2018, 2019
- Basil W. Pawlik, 2015
- Douglas A. Tenney, 2016, 2017
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1956 (W. Johnson; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication)
- 1971 (Jaynes; Hall dedication; Special Communication)
- 1980 (Melanson; 25th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1988 (Ames; reception for Deputy Grand Master Fred K. Bauer)
- 1999 (Bauer; 5 visits)
- 2000 (Bauer; 4 visits)
- 2001 (Bauer; 2 visits)
- 2010 (Pageau)
- 2012 (Stewart; 2 visits, including reception for Senior Grand Warden Richard A. Gesualdo)
- 2017 (Gleason; installation)
HISTORY AT HALL DEDICATION, JUNE 1971
From Proceedings, Page 1971-358:
By Brother Andre C. Bourne.
North Reading Lodge, although an infant in Masonic Circles, is at this writing celebrating its Fifteenth Anniversary.
Freemasonry started in North Reading on March 6, 1949 with the formation of the North Reading Square and Compass Club which was composed of forty-seven members.
The Club grew and prospered and on November 14, 1955, at a regular meeting of the Square and Compass Club, a formal petition was signed by eighty-three charter members to be sent to the Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons of Massachusetts, requesting dispensation to form a Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons in North Reading.
The same evening the Club voted to name the Lodge "North Reading," and selected as the first Master, Worshipful Walter H. Shultz, Past Master of Good Samaritan Lodge, Reading. Worshipful Sumner F. Goldthwaite and Worshipful Carlton E. Cooke were then selected as Senior and Junior Wardens. Wor. Bro. Goldthwaite was Past Master of Galilean Lodge, Everett and Wor. Bro. Cooke was Past Master of Baalbec Lodge, Chelsea. These three top officers, as well as the other elective and appointed officers would have to be, of course, approved by the Grand Master.
On December 12, 1955, at the regular Quarterly Communication of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, a dispensation to form North Reading Lodge was granted.
At the Union Congregational Church, 148 Haverhill Street, North Reading, on December 21, 1955, a special meeting of Grand Lodge was opened with Right Worshipful Stanley F. Maxwell, District Deputy Grand Master of the Maiden 7th Masonic District, presiding in the East.
At this meeting, North Reading Lodge, A. F. & A. M., U. D. was formally instituted by the District Deputy Grand Master and his official suite in due and ancient form in the old parish hall of the church, with over two hundred Masons in attendance. The following officers, as designated by M. W. Whitfield W. Johnson, Grand Master of Masons, were then installed in their respective stations as follows: Wor. Walter H. Shultz, Worshipful Master; Wor. Sumner F. Goldthwaite, Senior Warden; Wor. Carlton E. Cooke, Junior Warden; Bro. William E. Doten, Treasurer; Bro. Chapman B. Goodwin, Secretary; Bro. Conrad A. Leighton, Chaplain; Bro. William H. Black, Marshal; Wor. Clarence A. Fowler, Senior Deacon; Bro. Arnold G. Cole, Junior Deacon; Bro. Wyatt 0. Ingalls, Senior Steward; Bro. Frederick A. Seddon, Junior Steward; Bro. John B. Paddleford, Inside Sentinel; and Bro. Fred A. Swett, Tyler.
The next eight months were spent hard at work receiving candidates, forming working committees, and acquiring all our regalia in order that the Lodge would be properly equipped.
The first candidate to be raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason in North Reading Lodge, U. D., was Bro. Joseph Frank Sadlow, who was raised by the Worshipful Master, Walter H. Shultz and the officers of the Lodge.
The great day for North Reading Lodge and its members finally arrived and on September 17, 1956 the regular communication of the Lodge was held at the Reading High School auditorium for the purpose of Constituting North Reading Lodge. (1956 Mass. 295-298)
At 8:00 P.M. the Worshipful Master and Wardens of the Lodge retired and escorted the Most Worshipful Grand Master and the Grand Lodge officers into the auditorium. The Grand Master, M. W. Whitfield W. Johnson, and his official suite the constituted North Reading Lodge, A. F. & A. M. in due and ancient form and the Charter was duly presented to Worshipful Walter H. Shultz.
At the conclusion of the Constituting Ceremony the Worshipful Master, Wardens, other elected and appointed officers were installed by the Grand Lodge for the ensuing year as follows: Wor. Walter H. Shultz, Worshipful Master; Wor. Sumner F. Goldthwaite, Senior Warden; Wor. Carlton E. Cooke, Junior Warden; Bro. William E. Doten, Treasurer; Bro. Chapman B. Goodwin, Secretary; Bro. Conrad A. Leighton, Chaplain; Bro. Robert H. Buchnan, Marshal; Wor. Clarence A. Fowler, Senior Deacon; Bro. Arnold G. Cole, Junior Deacon; Bro. Wyatt 0. Ingalls, Senior Steward; Bro. Frederick A. Seddon, Junior Steward; Bro. Penn K. Michelini, Inside Sentinel; Bro. Charles Weir, Organist; and Bro. Fred A. Swett, Tyler.
Following the installation of officers the Most Worshipful Grand Master delivered an inspiring address on Freemasonry and the New Lodge, after which the Grand Master and Grand Officers retired and North Reading Lodge concluded with its regular business meeting.
During the eighteen months of stewardship of Wor. Walter H. Shultz our Lodge continued to grow and prosper into manhood as a Masonic Lodge. Thirty-one candidates were raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason and eight Brethren affiliated with the Lodge making a grand total of one hundred twenty-two members.
In the year of 1957 and 1958, under the leadership of Wor. Sumner F. Goldthwaite, a land committee was formed for the purpose of locating land for a permanent home for the Lodge. The establishment of a building fund, which was the first of several steps taken in the next few years, brought us one step nearer to the goal of our Masonic Temple.
North Reading Lodge Blood program was also started, since which time it has continuously set records throughout the state in its Blood donations. The last two years North Reading Lodge has led the state percentage wise in Blood donations and has been in second place, during the same period, volume wise.
That year twenty-six men of the community received their third degree and nine brethren affiliated with the Lodge making a total membership of one hundred and fifty-seven.
The year of 1958 and 1959 saw the first of a series of public installations when Wor. Carlton E. Cooke was installed as Master of North Reading Lodge. During Wor. Bro. Cooke's year as Master our Blood program continued with tremendous success with members and friends donating ninety-eight pints of blood. In appreciation for the blood donated the Master inaugurated a custom of thanking donors by sending them blood thank you cards and giving our members red carnations as a token of true Masonry.
The North Reading Masonic Temple Association received its charter from the State and became a full fledged corporation, and all building fund monies were then transferred from the Lodge to this new organization.
That year we lost two of our charter members to the Grand Artificer of the Universe: Bro. Fred A. Swett, our first Tyler, and Wor. Ernest R. Leavitt, Jr., an affiliated Past Master from Good Samaritan Lodge, Reading. The Lodge raised twenty-four brethren and ten Master Masons affiliated making Lodge membership one hundred and eighty-nine strong.
Wor. Clarence A. Fowler, the last Past Master in line, was installed as Master of the Lodge in September of 1959 and for the fourth year North Reading Lodge was extremely busy. On February 4, 1960, just four short months later, our beloved Worshipful Master, Wor. Clarence A. Fowler, passed on to the Celestial Lodge above after a very brief illness. This left the Lodge in the very capable hands of our Senior Warden, Brother Arnold G. Cole.
The Senior Warden, Acting Master, proceeded to carry out the program that Wor. Fowler had planned and in March, 1960, the Lodge had their first Past Masters night. The Past Masters and affiliated Past Masters of the Lodge, under the direction of Wor. Sumner F. Goldthwaite, did an excellent piece of work that evening, as usual.
The Special Meeting in March brought to North Reading Lodge the Illustrious Potentate, Ill. Francis Sagle, his Divan, the Aleppo Temple Third Degree Team and the Aleppo Temple Chanters. The Aleppo Temple Third Degree Team, under the direction of R. W. Carl McKenney with R. W. Herbert Faulkner as Degree Master, raised a co-worker of the Ill. Potentate, Bro. Joseph Freeman Merrill.
In April of this year the Acting Master invited the newly formed North Reading Rainbow Assembly to exemplify the Fathers Degree which filled the Lodge room for an evening that will be long remembered.
There were one hundred and thirty-seven pints of blood donated this year and thirty brethren were raised and seven affiliated making a total of two hundred and nineteen members. Our fifth year arrived on September 13, 1960 when Bro. Arnold G. Cole was installed Master of the Lodge with two full classes scheduled for the degrees and a very busy year ahead for all members.
At our regular communication in October, the Lodge voted to purchase a jewel, appropriately inscribed, as The Worshipful Clarence A. Fowler Memorial Jewel. This jewel will be worn by the presiding Master, during his term, that the memory of Wor. Bro. Fowler be perpetuated for his dedicated work in Freemasonry and in North Reading Lodge. However, two new funds were established, within our building fund, for the purpose of presenting some suitable remembrance to the Lodge and its Masonic Temple that the memory of these two men shall last till time shall be no more.
On November 2, 1960 the Red Cross Bloodmobile arrived in town for its semi-annual visit and brought out ninety-two Blood Donors for the Lodge of which seventy-five pints of blood were accumulated for Freemasonry. With this the last visit for the year 1960, North Reading Lodge Blood donations for the calendar year reached an all time high of one hundred and sixty-two pints for a State record of all Lodges at this writing.
On November 29th a meeting was held at the church with the young men in town who were eligible to join the Order of DeMolay "for the purpose of forming a North Reading Chapter. This meeting was conducted in compliance with a vote the Lodge took in June to sponsor a North Reading Chapter, Order of DeMolay."
On December 19, 1960 the Lodge celebrated its fifth anniversary. We were honored in having M. W. Whitfield W. Johnson and M. W. Andrew G. Jenkins, Past Grand Masters, as our special guests and participants for this occasion. M.W. Brother Johnson was Grand Master when the Grand Lodge granted us dispensation and also when our Lodge was constituted. M. W. Brother Jenkins was Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge during the same period. Also present and taking part in the official celebration was R. W. Stanley F. Maxwell, P. D.D. G. M., who instituted the Lodge and our presiding District Deputy Grand Master, R.W. Jacob J. Glazin as well as many other notable and prominent Masons. The highlight of the evening was the presentation of a Fifty-Year Veteran's Medal by R. W. Brother Glazin to our honorary member and fifty-six years a Mason, Brother Charles A. Smith. This is a first for Masonry in this State as far as can be ascertained for a Lodge that is five years old to present a Veteran's Medal to one of its members. In March of this year our second annual Past Masters Night was celebrated with Wor. Sumner F. Goldthwaite again as Chairman. It was an evening that will be long remembered for the fine work that was displayed and the large attendance by the members in their honor.
We received our second and third Grand Lodge citations for donating one hundred and ninety-eight pints of blood in the name of Freemasonry for the calendar year 1960 and by donating more than one hundred pints within the first half of this calendar year.
In February of 1961, the North Reading Masonic Library was started to supply Masonic information to the brethren of the Lodge. This year we lost to the Grand Architect of the Universe four of our members: Wor. Carleton Mclntire, a Past Master of Good Samaritan Lodge, Reading, and a Charter member of North Reading Lodge; Brothers Arthur Morrison and Horace Herbert Jones, also Charter Members of North Reading Lodge, and Brother Charles Rowell, an honorary member. This year thirty newly raised brethren and eleven affiliated brethren brought our total to two hundred and sixty-eight members. Our sixth year started on September 12, 1961 with a public installation when Brother Frederick A. Seddon was installed as Master of North Reading Lodge with two full classes scheduled for the degrees and another banner year ahead for North Reading Lodge. In September of 1961, through the efforts of the Masonic Temple Association Inc., a tract of land comprising of six acres was purchased as the future site of North Reading Lodge. This year North Reading Lodge contributed two hundred and twenty-one pints of blood from a total membership of two hundred and nineteen, between January 1, 1961 to November 17, 1961 to become first in volume and percentage in the State of Massachusetts. This achievement was largely due to the efforts of Wor. Bro. Arnold G. Cole and his Blood Committee. This was the first time the number of donors for the year exceeded the membership in a particular Lodge. In March of this year Brother Loren Ainsley O'Brien was called to serve the Grand Architect of the Universe. Brother O'Brien was a Charter Member of North Reading Lodge. In May of this year Wor. Frederick A. Seddon invited North Reading Chapter Order of DeMolay, to exemplify the DeMolay degree. The degree was superbly performed and enjoyed by all the members.
During this year the Lodge raised twenty-seven brethren, and eight Master Masons affiliated making a total membership of two hundred and eighty-seven.
The year 1962 and 1963 saw another Public Installation when Brother Chapman B. Goodwin was installed as Master of North Reading Lodge. During Wor. Brother Goodwin's year as Master, our Blood Program continued again with tremendous success with members and friends donating one hundred and seventy-seven pints of blood.
North Reading Lodge these five years has set and maintained an enviable record for the entire Grand Jurisdiction that, so far no other Lodge has attained. In these five years, nine hundred and eighteen pints of blood were donated by a Lodge that has less than three hundred members.
In March of this year, the Past Masters and Affiliated Past Masters of the Lodge, under the direction of Wor. Frederick A. Seddon, performed an excellent piece of work enjoyed by all present. This year Brother George Roy Nichols passed on to the Celestial Lodge above. Brother Nichols was raised in Mount Vernon Lodge, Maiden, and affiliated with North Reading Lodge on September 16, 19S7. The Lodge raised fourteen brethren and seven Master Masons affiliated, making Lodge membership three hundred and three strong.
Our eighth year started with a Public Installation to install Brother Ernest J. Snider as Master of North Reading Lodge. During Wor. Brother Snider's year, North Reading Lodge leased the Building on the Common. On June 15, 1964 the eighty-seventh Regular Communication of North Reading Lodge was held in the Masonic Apartments in the Building on the Common. Wor. Brother Snider also instituted the practice of presenting carnations to members who were celebrating Masonic birthdays. The Lodge was called up and the Wor. Master read the Masonic Roll of Brother Walter Julian Phillips who passed away on April 5, 1964. Brother Phillips was raised in Soley Lodge, Somerville, and affiliated with North Reading Lodge February 18, 1963. This year ten were raised and seven were affiliated with the total number of members three hundred and twelve. The end of this year saw one hundred and nineteen pints of blood donated through the Lodge by members and friends of the Lodge for Freemasonry.
The year of 1964 and 1965 saw another Public Installation when Brother Harold W. Chase was installed as Master of North Reading Lodge. Worshipful Brother Chase was the second candidate raised in North Reading Lodge and the first member to become Master who was actually raised in North Reading Lodge.
On April 12th of this year the 82nd Special Communication of North Reading Lodge was opened by Wor. Harold W. Chase for the purpose of conducting a Table Lodge which was a tremendous success. This was the first time that North Reading Lodge had conducted a Table Lodge.
In May, 1965, through the combined efforts of Wor. Harold W. Chase and Deputy Grand Knight Earl Florence of the North Reading Knights of Columbus, a jointly sponsored Father and Son Sports Night was held at St. Theresa's Parish Hall. The hall was filled to capacity with members of both fraternities, their sons and guests. Seated at the head table were Guest Speakers Jim Loscutoff, formerly of the Boston Celtics and Bob Dee of the Boston Patriots, Monsignor John Lane, Reverend John Murray of St. Theresa's Church, Reverend Carleton W. Talbot of the Aldersgate Methodist Church and Worshipful Harold W. Chase of North Reading Lodge, Grand Knight George Noland and Deputy Grand Knight Earl Florence of the North Reading Council Knights of Columbus. This was a night which will long be remembered by all for its contribution towards brotherhood with all men.
This year we lost three of our Brothers to the Grand Architect of the Universe; Brother Fred Austin Childs on March 5th; Brother Roy Neal Long on April 8th; and Brother Herbert Lee Hammond, Master-elect of North Reading Lodge on July 26th. During this year 123 pints of blood were donated through the Lodge for Freemasonry and eleven were raised and four brethren affiliated for a total membership of three hundred and twenty-one members.
On August 16, 1965, the 98th regular communication was held for the purpose of electing a Master, due to the untimely death of Bro. Herbert Lee Hammond, Master elect of North Reading Lodge. On September 11th, Brother Edwin H. Stiles was installed Master of North Reading Lodge during a public installation ceremony. Wor. Bro. Stiles is the second member to become Master who was raised in North Reading Lodge.
North Reading Lodge celebrated its tenth anniversary on December 20, 1965. Wor. Frederick A. Seddon introduced the original line officers of North Reading Lodge who then took their original stations for the raising of Nicholas Marinakis with Wor. Walter Shultz as Master. Wor. Bro. Seddon then introduced the officers for Past Masters Night. They in turn presented a beautiful gift of new aprons for the line officers. R.W. Robert W. Lufkin, D. D. G. M., made a fraternal visitation on this night, extending the greeting of the Grand Master and commented on how much North Reading Lodge has achieved in the past ten years. Also present were R.W. Jacob Glazin, R. W. Oliver Rutherford and R.W. Charles F. Maxfield. Bro. William E. Doten, our first treasurer and charter member, was elected to honorary membership in North Reading Lodge in recognition of his service of the past ten years. As usual the work of the evening as performed by the Past Masters and the Officers of the Lodge was excellent and a most enjoyable evening was had by all.
On April 11, 1966 the 90th Special Communication of North Reading Lodge was opened by Wor. Edwin H. Stiles for the purpose of conducting a Table Lodge. Our guest for the evening, Wor. Israel Bloch, Past Master of Mount Sinai Lodge, Lynn, gave a brief history of the Table Lodge. The evening was a great success and an excellent meal was enjoyed by all. In continuing the friendship established between North Reading Lodge and the Knights of Columbus, a jointly sponsored Masons-Knights dance was held at the Thomson Club, which was a huge success and promises to be an annual affair. Three of our Brethren passed to the Celestial Lodge above.
On October 7, 1965, Bro. Clay Kallor Boone, a charter member of North Reading Lodge; on November 9, 1965, Bro. George Leonard Loud, past Secretary of North Reading Lodge, Proxy to the Grand Lodge and Service Committee Chairman. Bro. Loud was well qualified in the rules and regulations pertaining to Lodge work and will be missed by all; and on December 19, 1965, Bro. Frederick James Jones.
During the year 104 pints of blood were donated by members and friends for Freemasonry. This year eight were raised and one affiliated for a total of three hundred and eighteen members.
On September 10, 1966, the start of our eleventh year, Bro. Joseph A. Spousta was installed as Master of North Reading Lodge at a public installation. Wor. Bro. Spousta is the third Master who was raised in North Reading Lodge.
On March 20, 1967 during a fraternal visitation, R.W. Henry L. Taylor, D. D. G. M. of the Maiden 7th Masonic District, asked all of the Masters of North Reading Lodge since 1960 to the East to receive a citation from Grand Lodge for the blood program. During 1966 the members donated 117 pints of blood and he stated that North Reading Lodge was 5th in the District which consisted of 53 Lodges in the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Districts. The Past Masters, under the direction of Wor. Edwin Stiles then raised Kenneth Richard Nielson. Wor. Bro. Pete Cole and Wor. Bro. Fred Seddon shared the East and Wor. Bro. Cole gave a very inspiring charge to the candidates.
On April 10th the 94th special communication of North Reading Lodge was opened by Wor. Joseph Spousta for the purpose of conducting the third Table Lodge in as many years. As usual, it was a great evening.
This year we lost six of our Brethren to the Grand Artificer of the Universe. They were: Brothers Walter Manning Earley, Emerson Irvin Swimm, Edwin Rupert Taylor, Esau Smith, Harold Leslie Roberts and Thomas Lester Lyons. The Lodge raised nine brethren and five Master Masons affiliated, making a total membership of three hundred and nineteen.
The year of 1967-1968 started with a public installation, when Bro. E. Mason Strong was installed Master of North Reading Lodge. Wor. Bro. Strong is the fourth member to become Master who was raised in North Reading Lodge.
At the October communication, Wor. Joseph Spousta was presented a plaque that North Reading Lodge earned during the previous year for the best attendance at the 35th Lodge on Instruction.
On March 18, 1968, Past Masters Night, under the direction of Wor. Joseph Spousta, was held. Wor. Bro. Spousta introduced the Past Masters and affiliated Past Masters who were then conducted to their proper stations to perform the work of the evening. Bro. Leon Robert Leighton was raised by Wor. Sumner F. Goldthwaite as Master and a charge to the candidate was very ably given by Wor. Arnold G. Cole.
In May, Wor. Richard Hastings, Service Representative for the Malden 7th Masonic District, was conducted to the East for the purpose of recognizing the blood donors of North Reading Lodge and present North Reading Lodge with their 8th plaque, which gave credit for 118 pints of blood for the year 1967.
The June meeting proved interesting in that it was the first time a father and son were raised on the same night since the inception of North Reading Lodge. Bro. Roderick William Coleman was raised by Bro. John A. Backe and Bro. Leonard Ralph Coleman was raised by Bro. Robert E. Stentiford. Also of interest that night was when Bro. Fred Kirby Bauer was raised by Wor. Sumner Goldthwaite, Brother Fred's father sat in the East; when Bro. Clarence Edward Gould was raised by Wor. George Kittrell, Brother Clarence's brother-in-law, Bro. Andy Bourne was in the Lodge room and when Bro. Ralph Franklin Plouff III was raised by Wor. E. Mason Strong, in due and ancient form, Brother Ralph's father sat in the East.
The social events of the season were the Mason-Knights winter Carnival Dance, the 9:29ers Banjo Club Show and a Square Dance with Good Samaritan Lodge of Reading.
During this year Brothers Patrick William Lane, Jr. and Dominic Nicolas Toce passed to the Celestial Lodge above. During the year three were raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason and four brethren affiliated with the Lodge increasing the membership to three hundred and twenty-four.
On September 14, 1968 another Masonic year was launched with a public installation at which Bro. John A. Backe was installed as Master of North Reading Lodge. Wor. Backe is the fifth Master who was raised in North Reading Lodge.
At the December meeting a distinct knock was heard at the door and after proper identification, Santa Claus was allowed to enter. He came bearing glad tydings of great joy, namely, that Wor. Arnold (Pete) G. Cole had been appointed as District Deputy Grand Master of the Malden 7th Masonic District with Wor. Harold Chase as the District Deputy Grand Marshal and Wor. Joseph Spousta as the District Deputy Grand Secretary. Rt. Wor. Pete is a charter member and fifth Master of North Reading Lodge. While Pete was Chairman of the blood program, North Reading Lodge attained the enviable position of being first in volume and percentage in the State of Massachusetts, by contributing 221 pints of blood from a total membership of 219. He is one of the forces that has made North Reading Lodge what it is today. North Reading Lodge is indeed proud and honored to have such able and dedicated Masons to represent us and the District. In January, a testimonial dinner was held at The China Dream in honor of Rt. Wor. Arnold G. Cole, Wor. Harold Chase and Wor. Joseph Spousta. Later that evening at the Lodge, R.W. Henry L. Taylor, P.D.D.G.M., presented R.W. Brother Cole with his D. D. G. M. Jewel and Wor. Sumner Goldthwaite presented him with the apron of his office.
On March 10, 1969 Lodge was opened by Wor. John A. Backe for the purpose of conducting a Table Lodge. Head table guests included R. W. Arnold G. Cole, D. D. G. M. of the Malden 7th Masonic District and R.W. James O. Smith, D.D.G.M. of the Melrose 7th Masonic District along with their respective Marshals and Secretaries. A roast beef dinner and a series of toasts were made to distinguished Americans and Masons. A good time of fellowship was had by all.
In June, North Reading Lodge was presented with a plaque showing that North Reading Lodge was 9th in standing in the state blood program. North Reading Lodge donated 148 pints of blood during the past year and this was the 10th consecutive year that the Lodge had exceeded 100 pints.
This year four more of our brethren joined the Celestial Lodge above: Brothers Ralph Edgar Bennett, William Ernest Gullam, our tyler for several years, Dana Austin Goodwin and Charles Marshall Leard. During the year six brethren were raised, making our total membership three hundred and eighteen.
On September 6, 1969 another public installation was held to install Brother Robert E. Stentiford as Master of North Reading Lodge. Wor. Bro. Stentiford was raised in North Reading Lodge on March 12, 1963.
On October 19, 1969 an open meeting was held at the North Reading Temple Association at which an enthusiastic group from the Lodge and related bodies saw a model of a building that was possibly within our means. The vote of confidence from this meeting and the results of the Pledge campaign encouraged us to go ahead with plans to build on our property at the corner of Park and Winter Streets. On March 23, 1970 a contract was signed with the architectual firm of Daniel F. Tully Associates, Inc. of Melrose and on June 8, 1970 a contract was signed with Scott Builders, Inc. of Melrose to construct the shell of the Temple. The ground breaking ceremony was held on May 21, 1970 at 7 o'clock in the evening.
In June, North Reading Lodge was presented another plaque for donating 121 pints of blood during the year, making North Reading Lodge 15th in the state.
Bro. William E. Doten was presented a gift upon his retirement after 15 years of faithful and dedicated service as Treasurer of the Lodge. Bro. Bill is also a charter member of North Reading Lodge and the first treasurer.
The events held during the year by the Temple Association were two Horse Shows, the Mason-Knights dance at the Thomson Club and an Old Fashioned Bean Supper.
During the year four of our brethren were called to serve the Grand Artificer of the Universe. They are Brothers Nathaniel Meltzer, William G. Milley, Frederick W. Ely and Robert W. Fowke. During the year five were raised as Master Masons and three affiliated making a total membership of 306.
On September 19, 1970, Bro. Edson M. Larkin was installed as Worshipful Master of North Reading Lodge at another public installation ceremony. Wor. Ned was raised in North Reading Lodge on March 19, 1962.
On December 21, 1970, the fifteenth anniversary of North Reading Lodge, R.W. Arnold G. Cole, D. D. G. M., accompanied by Wor. Harold W. Chase, D. D. G. Marshal, and Wor. Joseph A. Spousta, D.D.G. Secretary, of the Maiden 7th Masonic District made his last visitation of his term of office to North Reading Lodge. Also a highlight of the evening, Wor. Edson M. Larkin raised his three brothers: Harry Lewis Larkin, Robert Whitfield Larkin and Richard Francis Larkin while their father Bro. Herbert Larkin sat in the East.
The beginning of our sixteenth year promises to be filled with numerous events and the fulfillment of all of our dreams. Among these are the completion of the new Temple and our first meeting in it in March, 1971, and the dedication of the new Temple with the Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, Most Worshipful Herbert H. Jaynes in attendance on June 22, 1971. Both events I am sure will fill all our hearts with great joy. North Reading Lodge owes a large debt of gratitude to the North Reading Temple Association and all of the organizations and individuals who gave of themselves to make this dream come true.
So Brethren, we close the fifteenth chapter of the book of "Freemasonry in North Reading" with many pleasant memories of a job more than well done, a few sad memories with the passing of many of our Brethren, but memories that will remain with us all in North Reading Lodge as we proceed along the Masonic road into the future.
25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, DECEMBER 1980
From Proceedings, Page 1980-217:
(A history of North Reading Lodge for the period from 1955 to 1970 by Brother Andre C. Bourne may be found in the Proceedings of Grand Lodge for 1971, pages 358-373, inclusive.)
On March 15, 1971, North Reading held its first Regular Communication in its new Temple at 283 Park Street. At this time, Right Worshipful Arnold G. Cole was conducted to the East and proceeded to introduce all the Charter Members that were present and then called on Worshipful George Kittrell who spoke regarding the fact that North Reading Lodge was the youngest Lodge ever in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to build its own Temple. He thanked all members on behalf of the Temple Association for their help in this realization. Brother Paul Hall was then called upon to comment on the continued progress and future plans for the Temple and was given a standing ovation for all his efforts.
On May 17, 1971, Worshipful M. Russell Miekel, a Past Master of Good Samaritan Lodge was conducted to the East for the purpose of presenting the Lodge with a Marshal's Baton which he used as District Deputy Grand Marshal when North Reading Lodge was instituted.
On June 22, 1971, Worshipful Edson M. Larkin opened a Special Communication of North Reading Lodge for the purpose of dedication of the New Temple by Most Worshipful Herbert H. Jaynes and other Grand Lodge Officers. At 8:00 P. M., Most Worshipful Brother Jaynes and a most distinguished suite of Grand Lodge Officers, including four Past Grand Masters, were escorted into Lodge. After the opening prayer, the Grand Master then proceeded with the ceremony of dedication. After the dedication, he then spoke further, giving great credit to the membership for its work in building the Temple. (1971 Mass. 355-373)
On January 17, 1972, Worshipful Harry F. Schemack, along with Right Worshipful Richard C.F. Hastings, District Deputy Grand Master, visited the home of Brother Harry Greene for the purpose of presenting him with his Fifty Year Medal.
At the regular communication on September 18th, Worshipful Paul H. Hall acknowledged the new chairs that were given by Algonquin Lodge of Milton. Worshipful Herbert Silva, a Past Master of Mount Olivet Lodge, Cambridge, was made an Honorary Member for his untiring efforts in helping with the building of our new temple and his active participation in the Lodge.
On September 8th 1973, Brother Edward J. Ede III was publicly installed as Master of North Reading Lodge. During the year, it was our privilege to hear about the expansion work that was to be done by Grand Lodge on the Masonic Home in Charlton and also to receive a plaque for 15 years of blood donations of over 100 pints per year.
North Reading Lodge was presented both the Officers and Members Plaques for their attendance at the 35th Lodge of Instruction during the previous year due to the efforts of Worshipful Edward J. Ede. This year saw a closer tie with North Reading DeMolay as the young men were asked to present the colors before the opening of each Lodge meeting.
At the fraternal visit to the Lodge by Right Worshipful Leonard Davis in February of 1975, Brother Hollis Stiles was presented his Fifty Year Medal making him the second person to receive a Fifty Year Medal in this Lodge.
September 13, 1975 saw another public Installation of Officers with the installation of Brother Abram J. Simmons, Jr. as the 20th Master of the Lodge.
The Temple Directors reported that a very successful Clambake had been held that past June as a fund-raising effort. The ties with DeMolay continued through the year as the young men presented the colors before the opening of the Lodge.
Brother Harry Bradford Greene, a life member and the Lodge's first Fifty Year medal recipient, passed on to the Celestial Lodge in November.
Again on September 11, 1976, Brother Edward F. Piercey was installed as Master in another public installation of Officers. It was during the installation that word was received that Worshipful George Kittrell, an affiliated Past Master and a loyal supporter and very active worker in the building of our new Temple had passed to the Celestial Lodge above. He will be long remembered and deeply missed.
During the year, a Charter Members night was held and they were honored for their part in forming North Reading Lodge. Brother William E. Doten received his Fifty Year Medal from Grand Lodge on April 18, 1977, making him the third member to receive it in North Reading Lodge.
During the year, 1977-1978, a piano was donated by Brother Dave Shubert for the use of all the Masonic bodies. Once again, Special Communications were held for the purpose of degree work on a great number of candidates. A Mortgage Reduction Committee was formed for the purpose of reducing the Mortgage on the Temple.
Another Masonic year started with the public installation of Officers held on September 9, 1978 with Brother Robert H. Pottle as Master. The Temple Directors announced that during the past year, a new gas range had been purchased and modifications had been made to the heating system in order to be more energy-efficient. The Lodge continued to grow under Worshipful Pottle through excellent ritual of the Officers.
Again on September 8, 1979, Brother Larry D. Williams was installed the Lodge's new Master and another year had commenced in North Reading Lodge. The reserve fund of the Lodge was invested in a higher earning interest account, the Mortgage Reduction Committee was in full gear and preparations were being made to celebrate the Lodge's 25th Anniversary next year. By-Laws changes were being made to bring them up to date and a scholarship fund was started.
On March 17, 1980, Right Worshipful Fred K. Bauer, newly-appointed District Deputy Grand Master for the Maiden 7th Masonic District was escorted into his own Lodge for the purpose of conducting a Fraternal Visitation. This was his first visit to this Lodge in that capacity. He is the second Past Master of North Reading Lodge to receive this honor.
On September 6, 1980, Brother Charles M. Gore was installed as the 25th Master of North Reading Lodge. This is certainly to be a most challenging year, our anniversary year. Plans have been made for a special communication in December, a silver anniversary Ball in April of 1981 and an all-Masonic family picnic later in the year.
As we look ahead into the future of North Reading Lodge, we trust that the fraternal bonds that have been made over the last 25 years will continue to grow and with it our Lodge and all its related bodies so that Friendship, Morality and Brotherly Love will continue to flourish in North Reading Lodge.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Fred K. Bauer, DDGM, District 7 (Malden), 1980, 1981; Deputy Grand Master 1988; Grand Master 1999-2001
- Arnold G. Cole, DDGM, District 7 (Malden), 1969, 1970; N
- William R. Currier, DDGM, District 14, 2008, 2009
- Richard A. Gesualdo, Grand Lecturer, Senior Grand Warden 2012
- David R. Lee, DDGM, District 7 (Malden), 1998, 1999
- Michael A. Sandberg, DDGM, District 9, 2011, 2012
- Russell F. Walters, DDGM, District 2, 2007, 2008
- Frederick Seddon, Memorial