- 1 PAUL DEAN LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 DISTRICTS
- 2.9 LINKS
PAUL DEAN LODGE
Location: North Easton
Chartered By: Charles C. Dame
Charter Date: 03/11/1868 VII-232
Precedence Date: 03/28/1867
Current Status: in Grand Lodge Vault; merged into Paul Revere Lodge, 09/25/2004.
- George B. Cogswell, 1867, 1868, 1870, 1871
- George G. Withington, 1869
- Lewis H. Smith, 1872, 1873
- Edward R. Hayward, 1874
- Samuel K. Kelly, 1875, 1876
- John H. Swain, 1877, 1878; Mem
- Julius D. Atwood, 1879, 1880
- Luther Sisson, 1881, 1882
- George K. Davis, 1883
- Lorenzo B. Crockett, 1884-1887; Mem
- John H. Davey, 1888, 1889
- William H. Ames, 1890, 1891
- George E. Dana, 1892, 1893
- Louis C. Southard, 1894, 1895
- George C. Belcher, 1896, 1897
- Luther M. White, 1898, 1899
- Walter Porter, 1900
- John M. Williams, 1901, 1902
- Edward B. Maglathin, 1903, 1904; Mem
- Frederick Porter, 1905, 1906
- John Gray, 1907, 1908
- Joseph R. Clarke, 1909, 1910
- Edward M. Carr, 1911, 1912
- Edgar M. Baldwin, 1913, 1914, 1920
- Willham E. Goward, 1915, 1916
- John M. Smith, 1917, 1918; SN
- Charles H. Lufkin, 1919
- Albert Coggon, 1921, 1922
- Elmer S. Adams, 1923
- Clifton C. Ripley, 1924, 1925; N
- George K. Marshall, 1926, 1927
- Everett T. Reynolds, 1928, 1929
- F. Ellis White, 1930, 1931
- Winthrop L. Smith, 1932, 1933
- Richard H. Southworth, 1934, 1935
- Arthur T. Nystrom, 1936, 1937
- Arthur T. Dahlborg, 1938, 1939
- Arthur W. Jackson, 1940, 1941
- William Banks, 1942
- Wendell G. Anderson, 1943, 1944; N
- Myron F. Williams, 1945, 1946
- Malcolm H. Haskins, 1947, 1948
- Lawrence L. Gurney, 1949
- Kenneth Finlayson, 1950
- Alphon N. Carlson, 1951
- Ralph E. Mancheser, 1952
- Robert A. Cushman, 1953
- Gustav G. Rydholm, 1954
- Robert D. Andrews, 1955
- Richard A. Dailey, 1956
- Charles A. Bulfinch, 1957
- Everett A. Dunn, 1958
- Emerson O. Kidder, 1959
- Norman A. Anderson, 1960
- John W. Hanscom, 1961
- John A. Keach, 1962
- Robert L. Poore, 1963
- Thomas C. Dudley, 1964
- Robert E. Thompson, 1965
- Reginald L. Kindberg, 1966
- Robert W. Firing, 1967
- Robert O. DeWitt, 1968
- Everett W. Ericson, 1969
- John H. Christman, 1970
- Lewis F. Dyer, 1971
- Kenneth H. Doulette, 1972
- Raymond A. Phillips, 1973; PDDGM
- Austin C. Phillips, 1974
- Donald Kidder, 1975
- Charles E. Baker, 1976
- Gordon E. Faust, 1977
- Robert E. Smith, 1978; N
- Charles A. Woodman, 1979
- Carl H. Anderson, 1980, 1996; PDDGM
- Gerald B. Nording, 1981
- Bruce E. Morse, 1982
- Martin A. Messinger, 1983
- John L. Spiby, 1984
- P. Roger Johnson, 1985
- Robert B. Goodspeed, 1986
- Gilbert F. Ferreira, 1987
- Wayne P. Southworth, Sr., 1988
- Frederick Gladstone, Sr., 1989
- Robert P. Hackett, 1990
- Bruce M. Robertson, 1991
- Walter C. Allen, Jr., 1992
- Steven T. Nikolsky, 1993
- Michael R. Berry, 1994
- Edward I. Waldman, 1995
- Joseph D. White, 1997, 1998
- Joel J. Young, 1999, 2002
- Paul E. Anderson, 2000, 2001
- Carl D. Johannesen, 2003, 2004
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1867
- Petition for Charter: 1868
- Consolidation Petition (with Paul Revere Lodge): 2004
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1868 (Dame; Constitution of Lodge and installation)
- 1881 (Lawrence; Hall dedication; Special Communication)
- 1884 (Howland)
- 1903 (Sanford)
- 1912 (Benton)
- 1927 (Simpson; Veterans' Night)
- 1960 (Eaton; Hall dedication; Special Communication)
- 1967 (Booth; Centenary; Special Communication)
- 1986 (Richardson)
- 1992 (Darling; 125th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 2004 (Hicks; Consolidation; Special Communication)
- 1967 (Centenary History, 1967-112; see below)
- 1992 (Paul Dean Lodge: Historical Perspectives, 1992-24, see below; includes a short essay on Grand Master Paul Dean, not in Proceedings)
CENTENARY HISTORY, APRIL 1967
From Proceedings, Page 1967-112:
By Brother Donald M. Smith.
On the 18th of February 1867, a meeting of Master Masons favorable to establishing a Masonic Lodge in the Town of Easton was held. At this meeting it was voted to petition the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts for a dispensation to work as a Lodge. A dispensation was obtained March 8, 1867, authorizing George B. Cogswell and twenty-eight others to form and open a Masonic Lodge. The Grand Master appointed the following officers: George B. Cogswell, Worshipful Master; Alfred Pratt, Senior Warden; Nathaniel B. Phillips, Junior Warden.
The Lodge continued to work under dispensation until March 11, 1868, at which time a charter was granted. Paul Dean Lodge was duly constituted by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, March 24, 1868. There were twenty-four charter members, namely: William W. Baldwin, George Barrows, L. L. Berry, Benjamin G. Blaisdell, Lucien Bonney, George Brett, Daniel Burrell, George B. Cogswell, N. B. Dana, William H. Frost, Edward R. Hayward, John B. King, John A. Lynch, Hiram A. Monk, Nathaniel B. Phillips, Alfred Pratt, M. W. Ripley, Leonard Selee, Lewis H. Smith, E. P. Spooner, H. H. Talbot, Francis Tilden, Henry P. Waite and George G. Withington.
The Lodge was named after the Rev. Paul Dean, a Unitarian clergyman, who presided over the Unitarian Society at Easton in 1845, and continued as their pastor for five years. He was a prominent Mason, having served in almost every official position, being Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts in 1838, 1839 and 1840.
Paul Dean Lodge first met in the building now occupied by the Post Office, which then stood on the land now used as the schoolhouse yard. On the first day of January 1868, they moved to the upper hall in the E. P. Spooner building. The hall was dedicated and the officers publicly installed by the officers of the Grand Lodge, March 24, 1868. The Lodge occupied this hall until the completion of the Ames Memorial Hall. Elegant apartments were provided for them in the upper part of that building, and secured for fifty years at a rental of one dollar per year. This apartment was dedicated by the officers of the Grand Lodge on November 22, 1881.
From March 29, 1867 to November 22, 1881 seventy-six members joined Paul Dean Lodge and during this period eight Worshipful Masters occupied the East. They were namely: George B. Cogswell, 1868, 1870 and 1871; George G. Withington, 1869; Lewis H. Smith, 1872-1873; Edward R. Hayward, 1874; Samuel K. Kelly, 1875-1876; John Swain, 1877-1878; J. D. Atwood, 1879-1880, and Luther Sisson, 1881, the last name was the first Master in the new quarters. These same quarters were used until the lodge moved to their present quarters on William Street in 1961.
These quarters in the upper floor of the Ames Memorial Hall were unique in many ways. One had to climb one hundred and nine steps to reach the lodge hall; however, a landing was provided on the way up for those who were not accustomed to so many steps.
To those who are familiar with the ritual of the Masonic Order were reminded of a flight of winding stairs, as the stair way wound as one approached the landing to the proper quarters.
The inside of the old quarters presented a grandiose appearance. It gave one the feeling of kinship to Biblical teachings of King Solomon's Temple. The raised steps of the Master's station, with the Red Velvet Canopy over it; the Senior Warden's station, so important looking; the draperies hanging in the back of the Junior Warden's station, all added to the dignity of the Hall.
Perhaps one of the outstanding features of this grand old place was the Star-studded ceiling. As one sat on the sidelines and listened to the Master give the ritual in reference to the starry-decked heaven, one was deeply impressed by the Master's quotation as they looked at the sparkling stars in the ceiling. Even today, there are but few Lodge quarters that have Stars showing on the ceilings as this had for so many years.
The furniture of the Lodge was donated to Paul Dean Lodge when they opened on the upper floor quarters. This furniture was formerly used in a New York City Lodge that had forfeited its charter. The furniture was then moved to North Easton for use here. The same chairs, secretary's desk, treasurer's desk and the two ashlers are still in use today. One can notice St. John No. 1 on the smooth ashler as it sits today, at the Master's station. Through the years this furniture has been repaired, painted and looked after to preserve them for many years to come. We are proud to have these furnishings as they are unique in shape and lend to the dignity of the Hall and the officers who preside in them.
The four paintings we have mounted on the lodge room walls are outstanding in beauty, as well as descriptive in the arts of Masonry. A candidate is deeply impressed when each picture is described to him.
The two gold columns have an important meaning in Masonry and when the explanation is given to each initiate his Masonic knowledge is begun. The base and architecture are solid foundations to live by.
From the year 1881 to the present, Paul Dean Lodge has initiated a good many members and each one has had an opportunity to learn from the lessons given him by the ritual, the fine arts of the pictures and gold pillars which are displayed at all times for his guidance.
As one compares the listing of Past Masters through the first ten years, you will notice that not many of the charter members served in the East of Paul Dean Lodge. Reviewing the records the explanation of this arrangement is not clear so we must assume that in starting a new Lodge it was a struggle to fill the chairs. The first Master of Paul Dean Lodge served two different times; the first for a one year period and then after a one year lapse another two year term. It is noted in the records that Rising Star Lodge of Stoughton was the local Lodge what helped Paul Dean get started. It is a customary arrangement that any new Lodge must have their first Master a Past Master and Paul Dean Lodge started in this manner.
During the period of 1938 to 1966 we find some very interesting reports written in the Secretary's books.
Throughout many years the routine of listing the reports of each meeting were the same as they are today. Each report starting off with "The regular communication of Paul Dean Lodge AF and AM was held at Masonic Apartments on Wednesday," Date and AL date etc., then followed by the monthly reports given with the officers present, attendance, visitors and business of that particular meeting. In all of these years this similarity has had but one meaning, "that standard proceedings have kept the order as it was then and still is to this day."
The attendance at regular meetings lists the number present. Some meetings are very well attended and at others the count of members was very small. Today we have similar situations. There was one item in the listing of payments made at meetings that we do not show today and that was the item of cigars. The social hour after each meeting must have been a "smoky hour."
It is mentioned in the October 1938 records that a service medal was presented to Brother Charles Trow. Brother Charles Trow was a faithful attendant at meetings for many years and a fitting ceremony was tendered him at this presentation. District Deputy, Right Worshipful Harry H. Goff, District Deputy Grand Marshal, Worshipful Harold Goff, Worshipful Master Arthur Dahlborg, and Worshipful John Smith plus others made the visit to Brother Trow's home for this presentation.
September 4, 1940 was a gala occasion for two other faithful members of Paul Dean Lodge. Brothers Richard H. Coggan and Samuel Early received their Veteran's medals. Each Brother was honored by the presence of Right Worshipful Frederick S. Weston, District Deputy Grand Master and Worshipful Arthur W. Jackson, Master, doing the honors with other Past Masters and Brothers present. Each of the above were faithful members of Paul Dean Lodge for many years.
On many occasions during the past year members have received their Veteran's pins. This is a great honor and one for all of us to look forward to.
As noted in the November 1940 report, Rev. Brother Robert P. Doremus was introduced and acted as Chaplain. Rev. Brother Robert P. Doremus was a member of The Tyrian Lodge in Gloucester, Mass., and a faithful visitor to Paul Dean Lodge; he was appointed Chaplain of Paul Dean Lodge when Rev. Brother Royden C. Leonard left for War Service in 1944. Rev. Brother Doremus served Paul Dean Lodge as associate Chaplain or Chaplain from 1940 until the time when illness prevented him from carrying on the duties in 1961. Rev. Brother Doremus was elected to Honorary Membership on November 4, 1963.
For many years Worshipful Edward M. Carr was secretary of Paul Dean Lodge. As noted in the reports he had written through the years, one could not but marvel at the true and perfect records he wrote. Many reports of the business meetings and installations were clearly stated as only Wor. Edward Carr could do. A man devoted to Masonry from the day he joined, a faithful member, an officer of outstanding ability, a secretary for many years and at present the oldest living Past Master of Paul Dean Lodge, a fifty year Past Master and a great Mason. November 1942 was election of officers for the ensuing year and this was the year when Worshipful Edward Carr declined the nomination as secretary.
Many pages could be written of the Masonic life of Right Worshipful John Smith. A member, an officer, a secretary, installing master and Right Worshipful District Deputy Grand Master of the Taunton 28th Masonic District; a man well-skilled in Masonic tradition. If one was to look through the records of Paul Dean Lodge, one would find the name of Right Worshipful John H. Smith as the officer always in attendance and always ready to serve. Paul Dean Lodge was always noted for having fine officers, installations and fellowship of the highest caliber.
Right Worshipful Clifton C. Ripley made his first visit as District Deputy Grand Master of the Taunton 28th Masonic District to Paul Dean Lodge on January 3, 1945. Right Worshipful Clifton Ripley was one of Paul Dean Lodge's outstanding members. A man we looked up to for Masonic teaching.
During the month of October 1944, Paul Dean Lodge voted to invest in War Bonds in the amount of $4,000. These Bonds were to be accounted for by the Charity Fund. In August, 1946, a purchase was made of another $1,000 bond, making a total of $5,000 and in October, 1947, another $1,000 bond was purchased. A seventh bond was purchased on Dec. 1, 1948 for a total of $7,000.
On July 31, 1949 a Special Communication was held for the purpose of conducting a funeral service for one of the most faithful and one of the most respected members of Paul Dean Lodge. Much could be written on the history of Worshipful George Dana. He was the "Lecturer to the Candidates" and many of the older members will recall the lessons he taught them and how inspiring his messages were. He was truly a person that upheld the scriptures that are taught in Masonry. Worshipful George Dana was born April 2, 1851 and passed to the higher lodge above on July 28, 1949. As he was initiated as a Master Mason on May 21, 1873 he lived to be one of the oldest members Paul Dean Lodge has had, seventy-six years of membership.
After the passing of Worshipful Brother Dana, Worshipful Arthur Jackson filled the position as Lecturer to the Candidates and he was an outstanding Lecturer. Worshipful Brother Jackson filled this position for many years and his lectures will be well remembered by all.
About the present Lecturer to the Candidates, Worshipful Winthrop L. Smith, much could be written for his faithfulness and devotion to Paul Dean Lodge over his many years of membership. Worshipful Winthrop Smith is a man well skilled in the Arts and Architecture, well known in Masonic circles and a respected member of the fraternity.
On September 3, 1958 Worshipful Emerson Kidder appointed a Building Committee consisting of Brothers John Gustafson, George Copeland and William Cummings. On November 5, 1958 the Building Committee was authorized to sell tokens that a Building Fund could be established. On May 17, 1959 the Building Committee inspected the building known as "Cappys" as a future Masonic Temple. It was voted the amount of $6,000 be withdrawn from the Building Fund for a deposit on this building if approved. At the June regular meeting the members would vote on this project. The members voted to dismiss the proposition of purchasing "Cappys" building. It was voted to instruct the Building Committee to confer with the Trustees of the Lutheran Church to see what arrangements could be made on the purchase of the former Lutheran Church. At the regular communication on October 7, 1959 Worshipful Norman Anderson presided at a special session in the lower hall for the purpose of voting on the purchase of the Lutheran Church for a future Temple, with eighty voted for the purchase and nine voted no. The monies available in the Building Fund were turned over to the Easton Masonic Associates that a deposit might be made on the purchase of the former Church building. The Committee worked hard to sell tokens and a canvass was made to each member of Paul Dean Lodge to raise sufficient funds to complete the purchase of the building and redecorate it for modern lodge quarters.
Much time was put in by Brother George L. Copeland as clerk of the works, that each contractor fulfilled his contract to the letter. Many of the members volunteered their time.
On December 2, 1959 the name of Easton Masonic Associates was changed to Paul Dean Lodge A. F. & A. M. Building Trust. The first committee appointed as the building committee on September 3, 19S8 was increased in its membership to nine on recommendation of Wor. Alphon Carlson.
The election of officers and term of office were determined and they are shown as recorded: Bro. George L. Copeland, Chairman, for three years; Bro. John A. Gustafson, Vice Chairman, for three years; Bro. Horace Mitchell, for a two year term; Bro. Harold Darling for a one year term; Bro. William Cummings for a one year term. Wor. Emerson Kidder was elected Secretary and Treasurer for one year. The Worshipful Master and Senior Warden were members of this committee. The first regular meeting at our new Temple was November 2, 1960.
On December 9, 1960 one of the highlights in the history of Paul Dean Lodge took place. The Grand Master of Masons of Massachusetts, Most Worshipful Laurence E. Eaton, and his officers were present for the purpose of dedicating and unveiling the corner-stone of this new Temple. The Grand Lodge officers were most impressive in their work and a great lesson was learned on the ancient form used in the dedication of a Temple.
On October 4, 1961 the Lodge voted to pay $200 per month to the Building Trust that they would have money to pay all operating expenses of the Temple and this was increased to $300 on September 5, 1962.
The first funeral service ever recorded in the records of Paul Dean Lodge was held for one of our most devoted members, Worshipful William Banks, on October 14, 1961. Worshipful John Keach and Brother Donald Smith assisted by members of Paul Dean Lodge conducted a Masonic Service with Rev. Marvin Derby giving the benediction.
It is recorded in the record books that for several years Paul Dean Lodge paid a real estate tax on the upper floor quarters. During the years that Ames Memorial Hall was under the control of an association, it was expected that Paul Dean Lodge pay one-third of the tax assessment on the building. This arrangement continued until 1943 when Right Worshipful Wendell G. Anderson was successful in renewing the lease on the lodge quarters and having the tax assessment removed. At the present time the entire property of the Ames Memorial Hall is owned by the Town of Easton and operated by a committee appointed by the town officers. The former Lodge quarters are now being used by the Jaycees of Easton.
To enter our present Lodge quarters, history repeats itself as the furnishings are the same as first used in 1881, with the exception of the organ which was purchased and installed June 30, 1949 at a price of thirteen hundred dollars. Brother Warren Blood has been our organist since June 1949. Brother Warren has throughout the years been at the organ at each meeting, thereby adding to the pleasure of the meeting with his enjoyable music.
Right Worshipful Wendell Anderson has been our recording secretary since 1946 and all the members of Paul Dean Lodge appreciate the accuracy with which our records are kept. Paul Dean Lodge salutes our great secretary.
After reviewing the records of Paul Dean Lodge for these many years, it is noted that one cold winter night, two faithful Brothers sat on the sidelines for a regular meeting. In contrast .to this small attendance it is noted that a special event was held requiring the middle hall of the Ames Memorial Building where more than three hundred and twenty-five members witnessed the Police Square and Compass Club perform the long and ancient form of the Master Mason Degree.
The attendance at our past meetings varied the same as they do today. Some meetings are very well attended, which is the hope of all presiding Masters and Officers. It is a pleasure to see the side lines filled to encourage the lessons given in our Ritual for all to be guided by.
We end our little summary with the benediction given since Masonry started in Massachusetts. May the Blessings of Heaven rest upon us and all regular Masons. May Brotherly Love prevail, and every moral and social virtue cement us.
125TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1992
From Proceedings, Page 1992-24:
For the next few moments I want you to go back to the mid 19th century around the years 1864, 1865 and 1867 and imagine what it was like to live in those times. The Civil War was still underway and was not ended as we know it until 1865. President Lincoln was still in office. Reconstruction of the war torn country had not been started. The economy of the United States was in shreds. Historical records reveal that many of the leaders on both sides of this conflict were members of our craft so we find that brothers were killing brothers. Horse and buggy and some early trains were the only means of transportation if you didn't want to walk long distances poor communication systems and widely scattered populations were the norms for the day.
There was little settlement in the Town of Easton with a population of a few hundred. North Easton in particular was rather a quiet farming community with apparently some interesting waterways which attracted the attention of Oliver Ames who organized the first major industry in the town which was called for many years the Ames Shovelworks. Oliver Ames later became a great benefactor along with other members of the Ames family not only to the Town of Easton but to the fledgling Paul Dean Lodge in particular.
On October 1, 1864 a group of eleven men tiring of the long traverse to Lodges in Brockton, Taunton, Stoughton and some other distant places gathered to discuss the formation of a Masonic Lodge in the Town of Easton. Records show that these early members of Masonry were residents of the town. On that very same meeting night the decision was made to name the Lodge after the Rev. Paul Dean, a prominent Unitarian clergyman who served the Unitarian Church in Easton from 1845 to 1850. Paul Dean also served on the Town of Easton School Committee in 1845, 1846, 1848 and 1850. Rev. Paul Dean served in just about every category of Masonry, both in Massachusetts and in other jurisdictions, including his installation as Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts.
The activities of Paul Dean Lodge continued for the next three years under the call of Lodges of Instruction.
On March 29, 1867 a special dispensation was granted by the Massachusetts Grand Lodge authorizing the continuance of the activities of the Lodge with George B. Cogswell and twenty-eight other tried and true members of our Craft to form and open a Lodge. This dispensation was to continue until the regular quarterly meeting of the Massachusetts Grand Lodge was to be held in Boston in March 1868.
The first regular meeting took place on April 3, 1867 at what was then Mason's Hall located on the land which is now part of the Middle School lawn. Residence in Mason's Hall was short lived and a committee was organized for the purpose of relocation to what was to later become the North Easton Post Office, the North Easton Savings Bank and on the second floor the Town Offices. Over the next several years monies were appropriated to purchase furnishings and rules and regulations were promulgated for the operation of the Lodge. Meeting dates were voted and interestingly in the records it is reported that the meeting date and time was set on Wednesday next preceding the "full of the moon."
On November 6, 1867 it was voted to lease a hall from Brothers George Cogswell and Elijah L. Spooner. Rental for the new hall was $75.00 per year for period of five years. On January 1, 1868 the relocation to the new quarters was completed.
In February 1868 the Treasurer was authorized to draw up a petition for charter, to present it to each of the signers of the petition for dispensation and then to the Grand Lodge along with the required fee of fifty dollars as well as the first Grand Lodge assessment. A committee of three was appointed to present this petition to the Grand Secretary. Finally on March 28, 1868 the charter was approved and signed and Paul Dean Lodge was on its way.
Because of the constant need for repairs the members felt the need to consider another relocation of the Lodge quarters. In February 1879 a vote approved the selection of the committee to search for another site for Paul Dean Lodge. Records of the proceedings following the selection of the committee and their endeavors is somewhat sketchy but it was duly noted in the records of the Lodge of a letter received from Brother Oliver Ames and it is important that the contents of the letter be again read in its entirety. The letter is dated November 2, 1881.
"To the Worshipful Master, Wardens and Brethren of Paul Dean Lodge:
It gives me great pleasure to inform you that I have fitted up and furnished the third floor of the Oakes Ames Memorial Hall for the use of your Lodge.
It is proposed to deed the building to a Corporation, who shall grant you the free use of the above named premises so long as you shall desire. The expense of heating, lighting and caring for the same to be yours.
Trusting that you will accept my tender to you as above stated, with best wishes for your future welfare and prosperity — I am
Note: Brother Oliver Ames was born February 4, 1831 was accepted into the Lodge on August 3, 1871, Entered August 13, 1873, Passed September 17,1873, was Raised October 22, 1873 and admitted to membership on that same date. He departed on October 22, 1895.
The several apartments of the new Lodge quarters were elegantly appointed including a ceiling symbolizing a starry-decked heaven. The Lodge facilities were reached by a climb of 109 stairs from the street level, winding and tortuous, interrupted by three landings which provided both young and old a measure of relief. On the evening of November 22, 1881 a gala affair of dedication took place in the new Lodge. There were 51 members and officers present with the Most Worshipful Grand Master Samuel C. Lawrence and his suite participating in the event. Mrs. Oliver Ames decorated the hall with flowers and ferns and palms as she had done over the years for socials. A quartet sang free of charge during the evening.
Records show a tremendous growth in membership over the next several years as well as improvements to the facilities. One noteworthy purchase was the purchase of three and four spittoons.
Many significant events took place over the next several years, too many to enumerate. Many members of Paul Dean Lodge became very well known in Masonic circles reaching far beyond the parameters of Paul Dean Lodge.
In 1958 the need was felt to again seek larger and more accessible Lodge quarters. A committee was formed for this purpose. After examining several sites it was voted by the membership to meet with the trustees of the North Easton Lutheran Church who were also seeking a new church location. A proposal for purchase was signed and on October 7, 1959, under the direction of the Worshipful Master Norman A. Anderson, this proposal was approved by the membership with 89 members present and voting, eighty in the affirmative and nine opposed.
Renovations to the church building were soon undertaken by dedicated members under the leadership of Brother George Copeland, Sr., Chairman, appointed clerk of the works to oversee the work of the many volunteers and many private contractors. Monies for these renovations were raised by donations and the sale of tokens inscribed with the Masonic emblem and the name of Paul Dean Lodge. Tokens were sold for $1.00 per token. Monies from a developing Building Trust Fund were appropriated also for this purpose. The first regular meeting in the new Paul Dean Lodge facilities was held on November 2, 1960.
On December 9, 1960 a dedication service was conducted under the direction of the Worshipful Master John W. Hanscom. Present for this dedication service and to officiate was the Most Worshipful Grand Master Lawrence E. Eaton and his suite of officers from the Grand Lodge. The ceremony was described as very impressive and instructional.
The work of the Lodge took on significant strides under the leadership of outstanding Masters and other Officers. Increases in expenditures required increases in annual dues as was to be expected but if one examines the records these dues increases were surprisingly kept at a bare minimum. The original furnishings are still in use and have been well maintained. The Lodge organ was replaced on June 30, 1969 with monies donated by the widow of Brother Warren Blood, Organist for many years and father of our Brother Gene Blood. Additional funding for this organ was derived from the membership drive in memory of Brother Warren.
Paul Dean Lodge has gained a very enviable reputation throughout the Massachusetts Masonic jurisdiction for its role in organizing and celebrating the various feasts in other Lodges such as the Feast of the Prime Rib and the Feast of Adam's Rib. The well stocked Anchor and Ark Tavern in the lower quarters of the Lodge has been the scene of many events often attended by large groups from other Lodges. For many years this preparation of the Feast both in and out of the Lodge as well as the monthly suppers preceding the monthly Lodge Meetings has been for the most part the work of Brother Harry McCabe, recently deceased, Epicurean Chairman of Paul Dean Lodge who was also the recipient of the Joseph Warren Medal for Outstanding Achievement. His role in Masonic affairs took on additional stature through his work at the Grand Master's fair and annual Chicken Barbecue at the Masonic Home in Charlton. Bavarian nights conducted annually are so well attended throughout the area by both members and non-members that the activity has to be held in the large auditorium on the second floor of the Oakes Ames Memorial Hall the site of our former Lodge quarters. Annual Christmas parties for members and their families have been so well attended that this past year 1991 the party was relocated to the Knights of Columbus Hall in South Easton. The hall was donated free of charge by our friends at the K of C. For a number of years Brother Harry McCabe adorned in his traditional Santa costume and driving his bright red Recreational Vehicle would provide animated sleigh rides for the youngsters through the streets surrounding the Lodge always under the protective eyes of our Masonic police officer Brethren.
Since Brother McCabe's demise, our monthly suppers have been provided by members of the Order of Eastern Star and at times assisted by members of the Brockton Assembly of Rainbow and members of the Taunton Order of DeMolay. Ladies nights at the Lodge, annual Eggnog Parties on January 1 of each year and various other outstanding events take place throughout the year.
Attendance at the Lodges of Instruction in the Taunton 28th Masonic District has resulted in several attendance awards.
One additional event should be mentioned that truly describes the love and dedication of our institution was the receipt of a large sum of money in perpetuity, the interest from this large principal to be used as determined by the Officers and members of Paul Dean Lodge. Although the donor wished to remain somewhat anonymous it was soon well known that the benefactor was Brother Stuart Heath now deceased of recent date.
A recent call of the roll reveals that throughout the history of Paul Dean Lodge a total of 935 members have been received into Lodge. This is in addition to the original twenty-eight charter members. At present in 1992 there are 229 enrolled members with 120 members residing within the Town of Easton, 79 members residing in the State of Massachusetts but outside of the town and thirty residing out of state. Further compilation of the membership reveals that as of this writing eighty five members are listed as Past Masters, seven affiliated Past Masters, four Honorary Past Masters, nine District Deputy Grand Masters and one Deputy Grand Master, Right Worshipful Louis C. Southard.
This presentation is made in commemoration of the 125th Anniversary of the founding of Paul Dean Lodge A.F. & A.M., North Easton, Massachusetts, March 22, 1992. It is the hope of this writer that this summary of events be spread upon the records of Paul Dean Lodge for examination by generations to come. In conclusion it must be stated that the strength of our institution is embodied in part in its longevity, Paul Dean Lodge being the oldest fraternal organization in existence in the Town of Easton, the town being founded in 1725.
Congratulations and God Speed.
Robert S. Sims
March 28, 1992
- 1929 (Participation in North Attleboro Temple cornerstone laying, 1929-181)
NOTE ON CAPITATION TAX, DECEMBER 1881
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. V, No. 9, December 1881, Page 288:
The brethren of Paul Dean Lodge in North Easton are to be congratulated not only for their new and elegant apartments, but also for having among them one or more who fully comprehend the advantages which a proper use of money may bring. In addition to the erection of their beautiful hall, it is now stated that the Hon. Oliver Ames proposes to pay to the Grand Lodge the entire amount of the tax apportioned to Paul Dean Lodge in order to help pay off the debt incurred in building the Masonic Temple, in Boston. This Lodge has a trifle over ninety members, hence it will be seen that the sum must be a pretty large one even if the commutation is made at eight dollars each. The act is not only a generous one, but it is worthy of imitation by other brethren who may be able to do so.
INSTALLATION, NOVEMBER 1888
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. XII, No. 9, December 1888, Page 286:
The following have been installed officers of Paul Dean Lodge, F. and A. M. by R. W. D. N. Battles, of Brockton, and suite: Master, John H. Davie; Senior Warden, George A. Lackey; Junior Warden, Hobart A. Ames; Treasurer, L. H. Smith; Secretary, G. E. Dana; Chaplain, G. G. Withington; Marshal, L. B. Crocker; Senior Deacon, William H. Ames; Junior Deacon, Dellmont A. Miller; Senior Steward, John Baldwin; Junior Steward, George J. Rollins; Inside Sentinel, John B. Clapp; Organist, Erastus Smith; Tyler, J. D. Atwood.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Carl H. Anderson, DDGM, District 28 (Taunton), 2000, 2001
- Wendell G. Anderson, DDGM, District 28 (Taunton), 1957, 1958; N
- Lorenzo B. Crockett, DDGM, District 22 (Hyde Park), 1903, 1904; Memorial
- Edward B. Maglathin, DDGM, District 29 (Brockton), 1911, 1912; Memorial
- Raymond A. Phillips, DDGM, District 28 (Taunton), 1976, 1977
- Clifton C. Ripley, DDGM, District 28 (Taunton), 1945, 1946; N
- John M. Smith, DDGM, District 28 (Taunton), 1935, 1936; SN
- Robert E. Smith, DDGM, District 28 (Taunton), 1986, 1987; N
- Louis A. Southard, Deputy Grand Master 1905
- John H. Swain, DDGM, District 22 (Hyde Park), 1884, 1885, 1886; Memorial