- 1 HAMMATT LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 OTHER BROTHERS
- 2.9 DISTRICTS
- 2.10 LINKS
Chartered By: Winslow Lewis
Charter Date: 12/14/1860 VI-331
Precedence Date: 12/23/1859
Assisted in the laying of the cornerstone of St. Andrew's Church in East Boston, November 1913.
- Elisha J. Cleveland, 1859, 1860
- Samuel L. Fowle, 1861
- John G. Hazlett, 1862, 1863
- William Constant, 1864
- George H. Wiggin, 1865
- Byron Nason, 1866, 1867
- John Tyrer, 1868, 1870
- George H. Grueby, 1871, 1872
- Rufus C. Clay, 1873-1875
- Henry Regon, Jr., 1876, 1877
- George Harrlngton, 1878, 1879
- James Frame, 1880, 1881
- Henry Yefland, 1882
- Amos Perry, 1883, 1884
- Charles Studley, 1885, 1886
- T. Henry Kingston, 1887, 1888
- John H. Clarke, 1889, 1890
- Benjamin Graham, 1891, 1892
- George A. Lythgoe, 1893, 1894
- William B. Allen, 1895, 1896
- Cohn D. Cameron, 1897, 1898
- Ira P. Smith, 1899, 1900
- Horace W. Rand, 1901, 1902
- Herbert L Gordon, 1903, 1904
- William W. Grace, 1905, 1906
- Percy W. Carter, 1907, 1908
- Wayne Littleleld, 1909
- Edward Marshall, 1910, 1911
- Dudley Don, 1912
- Arthur G. Carver, 1913, 1914
- Edgar L. Parsons, 1915, 1916
- William S. Barker, 1917, 1918
- Justin Duncan, 1919, 1920; N
- Truman E. Taylor, 1921, 1922
- George L. Sack, 1923, 1924
- Frederic Duncan, 1925, 1926; SN
- Everett O. Hooper, 1927
- William A. Odell, 1928, 1929
- Thomas Symonds, 1930
- Harry E. Woods, 1931, 1932
- Charles H. Aston, 1933, 1934
- Oliver E. Story, 1935, 1936
- James A. Melvill, 1937, 1938
- Charles Hansen, 1939, 1940; SN
- William Lammers, Jr, 1941, 1942
- Clifton G. Goodwin, 1943, 1944
- Everett Mathews, 1945, 1946
- Myer Weker, 1947, 1948
- Benjamin Carp, 1949
- Saul Rubin, 1950
- John L. Freedman, 1951
- Charles G. Kagan, 1952
- Robert Goldberg, 1953
- Ralph Kaplan, 1954; N
- George Locus, 1955
- Max Gardner, 1956
- Morris L. Tobman, 1957
- Robert Abramson, 1958
- Benjamin Freeman, 1959
- Max Abert, 1960
- David M. Reed, 1961
- George J. Meyer, 1962
- Jacob H. Woolf, 1963
- Fred M. Tobman, 1964
- H. David Goldberg, 1965
- Marvin Meyer, 1966
- Martin J. Shaevel, 1967
- Martin S. Levitan, 1968
- Bernard Kaan, 1969
- Burton S. Epstein, 1970
- Alan Greenslein, 1971
- Steven T. Ladoulis, 1972
- William Kaitz, 1973
- Eldon B. Sudaller, 1974
- David Feinberg, 1975
- Harold M. Brodaky, 1976, 1978
- Bernard Kaplan, 1977
- Robert M. Selby, 1979
- Alfred Shuman, 1980, 1981
- David Franklin, 1982, 1991
- Morris A. Zirlin, 1983, 1984, 1989
- Jeffrey Goldberg, 1985, 1987
- Dale E. Carver, 1988
- Solomon Feingold, 1990
- Sherman Freedman, 1992-1994
Continued with Past Masters of Hammatt-Ocean Lodge.
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1859
- Petition for Charter: 1860
- Consolidation Petition (with Ocean Lodge): 1994
- 2009 (150th Anniversary)
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1861 (W. Coolidge; Constitution of Lodge and installation, hall dedication; see below)
- 1873 (Nickerson; Hall dedication)
- 1882 (Lawrence)
- 1898 (Hutchinson; 2 visits)
- 1907 (Blake)
- 1910 (Flanders; 50th Anniversary)
- 1919 (L. Abbott)
- 1931 (H. Dean)
- 1949 (Keith; "Wor. T. Henry Kingston Night")
- 1950 (Keith; reception for Masons from Pittsburgh)
- 1959 (A. Jenkins; Centenary; Special Communication)
- 1976 (Maxwell; installation)
- 1983 (Berquist)
- 1994 (Lovering; 2 visits, including Consolidation, Special Communication)
- 1959 (Centenary History, 1959-79)
CENTENARY HISTORY, APRIL 1959
From Proceedings, Page 1959-79:
By Wor. Ralph Kaplan and Bro. Irving Chipman.
As we recall the events that have occurred during the span of a century of Freemasonry in this section and of Hammatt Lodge in particular, we cannot be unmindful of the circumstances prevailing in that far distant past. We mentally picture the individuals who have the imprint of their lives and characters upon the pages of history and of this Lodge, and gratefully evaluate the great services they rendered to the Craft. Such a look back over the years must of necessity touch only the high spots.
We are enjoying the results of the labors of many men dedicated to Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth. We remember them with veneration, striving as we do to carry on the high tradition that they have left on the Scroll of Time.
When it is recalled that practically all the great advances have made life so much easier, ever since time immemorial, have been developed during the last hundred years, it is not too much of a strain on the imagination to picture the conditions when plans were made for the formation of a Masonic Lodge in this City. There were no means of transportation other than horse-drawn, no street lighting, no water, electric, or gas facilities, dirt roads, no telephone, and few opportunities except in the churches or temples for fellowship and community activity.
There is no record on hand to indicate what induced the formation of Hammatt Lodge, but on December 20, 1859, at 36 Maverick Square, East Boston, twelve men gathered together and decided to petition the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts for a Masonic Lodge. These men were Past Masters Samuel L. Fowle and Elisha J. Cleveland, and Brothers George Butts, Martin Adams, William McLarty, Hezekiel Mayor, George H. Wiggin, John G. Hazlett, Henry T. Bateman, James M. McLarty, Joseph W. Thompson and William Constant.
It was decided to honor John B. Hammatt, who had served as Deputy Grand Master in 1844, and who had achieved eminence in the cause of Masonry, by naming the Lodge for him.
We would be very remiss if we did not give a resume of the background and history of John B. Hammatt, whose name we have cherished in these past hundred years.
John B. Hammatt was born in Boston on Hanover Street, where Blackstone Street crosses it, on June 12, 1778. In 1792 he began to serve as an apprentice to Moses Grant, upholsterer and paper-stainer, whose place on business was on Union Street, Boston; and in 1799 he commenced business on his own account.
At the age of 22 he applied for the Masonic degrees in Columbian Lodge in Boston; he was initiated on August 7, 1800, and was passed and raised on August 21, 1800. He was admitted to membership in St. John's Lodge, Boston, the oldest Lodge in the country, in November, 1801.
He was elected Master of St. John's Lodge in 1810. Hammatt was exalted to Royal Arch Masonry in St. Andrew's Chapter in 1801, and became a member June 9, 1802. He filled the office of King in that body in 1808, 1809 and 1813, and that of High Priest in 1810 and 1811. In the Grand Lodge, he was appointed a Steward in 1802, by M. W. Isaiah Thomas; a Deacon in 1807, by M. W. Timothy Bigelow; was elected Junior Grand Warden in December, 1811, and Senior Grand Warden in December, 1814. He was Knighted in Boston Encampment in 1805, and admitted to membership there in 1806.
Brother Hammatt removed to Alexandria, Virginia, in 1815, and returned to Boston in 1830. While in Alexandria, he was commissioned by the Grand Lodge of Virginia as District Deputy Grand Master, in which capacity he visited fourteen Lodges in his District. At the end of the year, he declined a reappointment. He was at the time a member of Alexandria-Washington Lodge, No. 22, which, as Brother Hammatt remarked in a note to a friend, was "the Lodge that General Washington presided over for several years, he having been named in the charter as the first Master." In 1818, he was appointed by the Grand Chapter of Maryland and District of Columbia as the first High Priest of Potomac Chapter in Georgetown, which station he held three years, when he was called to preside over Brook Chapter in Alexandria, which received a charter from the same Grand Chapter. In 1820 he was elected Master of Evangelic Lodge in Alexandria, and served two or three years. In 1826 he was elected Deputy Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of the District of Columbia, over which body M. E. William W. Seaton was at the time Grand High Priest. They both retained their offices until 1830. While in the Grand Chapter, Bro. Hammatt was appointed Grand Lecturer by the Grand Lodge of the District of Columbia. After his return to Boston in 1830, he was appointed Deputy Grand Master by M.W. Augustus Peabody; he served as Grand Commander of the Boston Encampment of Knights Templar; Grand High Priest of the Grand Chapter of Massachusetts; and as Grand Master of the Grand Encampment of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
The following remarks were written into the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts records eulogizing the death of John B. Hammatt at the advanced age of 86:
Death has touched this time-honored Lodge with its very hand, and gently conveyed to bright realms and happier skies our Father, our Patriarch, our venerable Guide, Counsellor and friend. The annual Masonic necrology is enriched by the name of one, who, from the commencement of this century to the period of his departure, has been almost the embodiment of fraternal devotion, in all the departments of the Order in general, but more especially in his long and intimate relations to St. John's Lodge. The narrative of the numerous official positions sustained by Bro. John B. Hammatt, during the long period of more than sixty years, would be but a detailed catalogue, embracing nearly every duty engendered by his fidelity, and heaped on him by the affectionate regard and confidence of his Brethren.
His Masonic life transcends in its activity, and surpassed in its devotion, all others in comparison. There is none to share such a eulogy as can be rendered to him. To the Order, youth, manhood and old age, all alike, were given. He came up to our Temple with the step of his early prime. He forsook it not even when the tottering, feeble frame denoted that the "silver cord" of life was about to be "loosened."
Of those now gathered together, who may listen to this brief tribute to one of the old generation, how few, how very few, are those who remain to testify of him in the days which tried men's souls, in the dark period when "unhallowed hands" were laid upon our Institution, and "maledictions loud and deep" were heaped upon it so unsparingly. That he never shrunk under the pelting storm need not be said; but that he survived to behold the "old flag" triumph and flourish like the "green bay tree," God be thanked!
In the fullness of years, in the maturity of a life prolonged beyond the common duration of human existence, our aged Brother has passed on, raised to the sublime degree of Immortality. Let us reap the rich harvest sown by his example. Let us consecrate ourselves, like him, to the performance of duties devolving on us as Brothers. Let our contention be only how we can "best work, how best agree," and thus acting, whether we are cut down by fewer years of probation, or spared to the "sere and yellow leaf" of a ripened longevity, we shall depart in God's good time to meet together above, to part no more forever.
- Resolved, That, closing our fraternal connections with Bro. John B. Hammatt in his removal by death, we rejoice and give thanks that he was so long spared to us. That he was so given to us and to the Fraternity, that two generations have passed away, who have reaped the fruits of his devotion to the Order.
- Resolved, That in all the relations of life, as a citizen, Christian and Brother, he has left the fragrance of a good name, an unspotted reputation. He has left a rich legacy to this Lodge, and the tribute to the memory of John B. Hammatt should be perpetuated not only on our records, but on our hearts.
Following the meeting of the original twelve men on December 20, 1859, and their petition for dispensation, authority was granted under dispensation by John T. Heard, Esq., Grand Master of Masons of Massachusetts granting authority to organize a Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons in East Boston to be called Hammatt Lodge, to initiate, pass and raise Master Masons therein, according to the ancient usage and customs of the Craft, strictly adhering to the Ancient Landmarks, and the laws and regulations of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge.
Subsequent to this dispensation, thirteen Brethren received their degrees the first year, and on January 2, 1861, Most Worshipful Grand Master William D. Coolidge, Esq., and the officers of the Grand Lodge constituted the Lodge as Hammatt Lodge.
It is interesting to note that few Lodges have been named for men while they were still alive. The minutes reveal that the only appearance of R. W. John B. Hammatt at our Lodge was on July 11, 1860, at which time he, then in his 82nd year, delivered a stirring address on his experiences in Masonry. He was invited to many subsequent meetings, particularly to the communication of the constitution of the Lodge, but because of failing health, was unable to attend.
By 1859 East Boston had developed into a good-sized, compact community of industrious people. Freemasonry could be expected to flourish here. The so-called Morgan incident and its unhappy aftermath, the anti-Masonic period, were now forgotten, and there was a resurgence of the Masonic spirit everywhere. Men thirsted for the spiritual light and knowledge which is the very essence of Masonry. Then, too, in those days of fewer distractions, the Lodge or chapter room afforded a splendid opportunity for fraternal and social intercourse. There were already two Lodges in existence, Mount Tabor and Baalbec, founded in 1845 and 1852, respectively.
In the one hundred years of our Lodge, we have met in only four meeting halls. Our first meeting hall in December, 1859, was at Washington Hall in the Winthrop Block at Maverick Square, East Boston (presently owned by two of our members, Bro. Bernard and Worshipful Ralph Kaplan). On January 10, 1873, the Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, Most Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson, formally dedicated the new Masonic Hall in Central Square, the business center of East Boston of that period. Hammatt Lodge, together with all the other Masonic bodies, at once occupied these improved quarters.
Twenty years later, the Fraternity obtained its home on Meridian Street, at the corner of Eutaw Street, Hammatt Lodge acquiring an equal-ownership interest jointly with the other East Boston Masonic bodies. It was dedicated on June 24, 1892, in an impressive service by the then presiding Grand Master, Most Worshipful Samuel Wells. Hammatt Lodge participated with all the other East Boston Masonic groups — Mt. Tabor, Baalbec, and Temple Lodges, St. John's Royal Arch Chapter, East Boston Council of Royal and Select Masters, and William Parkman Commandery — in the public procession and other ceremonies of the happy occasion. When first opened and for many years thereafter, these Masonic apartments were considered the most spacious and most attractive in all New England, giving tangible testimony to the existence of a large and prosperous center of Freemasonry. For 62 years Hammatt Lodge met in this building.
Because of the antiquated state of our Masonic Temple in East Boston, a petition was made to the Grand Lodge in 1954 to move our quarters into the Masonic Temple at 51 Boylston Street, Boston, which we now occupy. It must be noted that Hammatt Lodge, in the 62 years spent on Meridian Street, East Boston, flourished as an agency for the dissemination of justice and friendship among all men, more especially our Brethren in Freemasonry.
A letter received in April, 1908, from Most Worshipful John Albert Blake, appealed to the Brethren of every Lodge in Massachusetts for voluntary contributions to a fund to be used to purchase what is now our Masonic Home in Charlton. The Lodge at this time was composed of 258 members and by unanimous vote, it was resolved that the Lodge, for its members, contribute the sum of fifteen hundred dollars.
Hammatt Lodge is proud of its members who answered the patriotic call to duty during the periods our country has been embroiled in war. We cannot single out individual members, but salute those who served in the Armed or Civilian Forces with distinction and honor. To the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice, we bow in reverence and pledge our honor to maintain the freedom for which they gave their lives.
A total of 58 Masters have guided the destinies of Hammatt Lodge during its first century, 48 serving for the term of two years, and the last ten serving one year. Of these 58, there are 25 Past Masters living. These men, living and departed, gave freely of their time and energy to promote the cause of Masonry in general, and of our Lodge in particular. To a great extent, Hammatt Lodge today is what they made it.
Three of these Masters in our 100 years of history have been honored by the Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts and selected as District Deputy Grand Masters for the Third Masonic District: Right Worshipful Justin A. Duncan in 1933-34; Right Worshipful Frederic B. Duncan in 1946-47 (who, incidentally, are the only blood brothers who have served as Masters of our Lodge); and Right Worshipful Charles G. Hansen who is presently serving as the District Deputy Grand Master.
Our oldest living Past Master is Worshipful Dudley H. Dorr, an outstanding lawyer, having served as Master in the years 1912 and 1913 and who has distinguished himself in Masonic circles.
Nine secretaries have served our Lodge in its 100 years, one of whom served at two different intervals. Bro. George Butts, our original Secretary, served until June 1870, at which time Wor. Samuel L. Fowle took over. Wor. Bro. Fowle served for twenty-two years with distinction and when he resigned in 1892, he was presented with a set of resolutions embodying the good will and appreciation of the members towards him. The years between 1892 and 1923 saw our greatest changes in secretaries. Bro. W. C. R. Woodside served for five years until 1897 when Bro. George Lownsboro took over. He served admirably until 1905 when Bro. William Bell, who had served for several years as Treasurer, became the Secretary.
At this time, Bro. Henry D. Stone was elected Treasurer, and two years later, in 1907, these two men exchanged offices, Bro. Bel! returning as Treasurer and Bro. Stone becoming the Secretary. They served in their respective stations until 1917 when Wor. Edgar L. Parsons took over as Secretary, Bro. Stone having retired, but the following year, Bro. Bell, who had served a total of fourteen years as Treasurer, resumed once again the duties of Secretary of Hammatt Lodge, this time for only two years. Wor. William S. Parker became Secretary in 1920, and in 1923, Wor. Edward Marshall succeeded him. Wor. Bro. Marshall, whom a great many of us remember so well, served for twenty-eight years, resigning because of failing health in 1951. Our present Secretary, Bro. Simpson L. Barber, took over in 1951, thus making our ninth Secretary in a century.
There has never been a year in which the Lodge has failed to add new members to its rolls. Sometimes, during depression years, only three or four candidates were initiated. On the other hand, there have been years of great growth. This is especially true at the end of the wars when returning servicemen applied for membership in large numbers. It might be interesting to note that at the end of our first ten years there were 173 members in our Lodge. In 1941, 89 years later, our membership numbered 348. Since that time the membership has more than doubled so as of now we have 712 members.
Changing times and conditions have had their effect on our Lodge. There have been several times in our 100 years when conditions were so bad that moneys had to be taken from our surplus or Permanent Fund to replenish the General Fund, thereby enabling the Lodge to carry on. Were it not for our Permanent Fund, Hammatt Lodge might not be in existence today.
There also have been many, many times during our existence when moneys from the pockets of our Brethren, and from the General Fund have been donated to disaster funds, general emergency cases, and public appeals. In 1871 a collection was taken up from every member and with an appropriation from the general fund victims of the Chicago fire were aided. Likewise in 1900 sufferers of the Galveston, Texas, floods were assisted as were victims of the Chelsea fire. This aid is extended to our own members also. Our records bear evidence each year of the many instances of service and assistance the Lodge has rendered to Brethren in need of some kind of help, of advice and assistance to a deceased member's family.
It is, of course, impossible to list all those members of our Lodge who have rendered conspicuous service throughout its history. Nor is it proper to do so, for any service, large or small, has been and always will be, valuable and rewarding.
We would be remiss if we did not give special mention to the fact that both Right Worshipful Brother Duncans have served as Illustrious Potentates of Aleppo Temple, with Right Worshipful Justin A. Duncan now serving as Treasurer, and Right Worshipful Frederic 15. Duncan now serving as Illustrious Potentate. Right Worshipful Justin A. Duncan also served as Treasurer of Hammatt Lodge for a period of twenty-five years.
Two of our anniversaries, our 25th in 1884 and our 75th in 1934, had to be by-passed without any ceremony because of the times. In 1884 a committee was appointed to formulate plans for an evening's entertainment for members and families at a cost of $1.00 per head, but because of the additional costs to the Lodge of carrying out this plan, it had to be abandoned. Similar plans early in 1934 were formulated and later tabled because of the prohibitive cost to the Lodge.
At our 50th Anniversary year in 1909, the Master was Wor. Wayne B. Littlefield, the Senior Warden, Bro. Edward Marshall, and the Junior Warden, Bro. Dudley H. Dorr (now our oldest living Past Master). The Grand Master of Massachusetts, Most Worshipful Dana J. Flanders, was present at the Lodge Hall with a distinguished suite. Proper tribute was paid to Hammatt Lodge in impressive ceremonies and entertainment was provided for members and their families. Among the 400 people that evening were Wor. Albert Richardson and his wife, who was a granddaughter of John B. Hammatt.
At no time in the history of the Lodge have more Brethren been engaged on its various committees and endeavors than at present. Is it any wonder that we face the future with a spirit, an organization, and a competence to meet whatever problems time will bring, and with pride that the course thus far has been a happy and worthy one?
Seldom does any individual attain the age of one hundred years. Yet in the life of a Masonic Lodge a century is but the beginning. Freemasonry, notwithstanding, will survive the ages. In the mind of the Supreme Architect a thousand years is but as yesterday, and as a watch in the night. We are of one accord, that Hammatt Lodge is not old. It has just begun to walk. We are confident, also, that nine hundred years from tonight, men, and their families, will gather to observe the one thousandth anniversary, the Millennium, of Hammatt Lodge. The means by which those men and their ladies may travel, how they may appear, what they may wear, we, in this year 1959, are unable to even imagine. But, underneath it all, the human heart will remain unchanged, filled then as now with Brotherly love and affection. Then, as now, cherishing that desire to live, and to die with the satisfaction that because we lived, we contributed our portion that builds a broader and firmer foundation for the countless generations that shall follow after us. Thus, a Mason lives his life encouraged by the full and happy realization that it is not a cup to be drained, but a measure to be filled. So mote it be!
- 1913 (Church cornerstone laying, 1913-193)
- 1954 (Petition to alter charter to read "Boston" granted, 1954-98)
CONSECRATION OF LODGE, JANUARY 1861
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XX, No. 4, February 1861, Page 113:
On Wednesday evening, Jan. 2d, the M. W. Wm. D. Coolidge, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, assisted by the R. W. Grand Officers, consecrated this new Lodge and installed its officers agreeably to ancient usage and custom. The ceremony was performed with much impressiveness, very fully and minutely. The following Brothers were installed into their respective offices :—
- Elisha J. Cleveland, W. M.
- Samuel L. Fowle, S. W.
- John G. Hazlett, J. W.
- Martin Adams, Treas.
- George Bulls, Sec.
- Eli C. Wood, Marshal
- Wm. Constance, S. D.
- Geo. H. Wiggin, J. D.
- Henry T. Bateman, S. S.
- James McLarty, J. S.
- Joseph W. Thompson, I. S.
- Erving Butts, Tyler.
What rendered the occasion peculiarly interesting and pleasing was the presence of our venerable Brother John B. Hammatt, now 82 years of age, in whose honor the Lodge was called Hammatt Lodge, and who, after the ceremonies of installation, was formally introduced to the Lodge by the M. W. G. Master, and addressed them in a very feeling and affectionate manner in regard to their future course — which was listened to with marked attention.
After the services, the Brethren partook of a collation in the ante-rooms adjoining the Lodge, where they also enjoyed the usual "feast of reason and flow of soul" on such occasions. Very appropriate remarks were made by the M. W. G. Master, Bro. Coolidge, the R. W. Bro. Moore, G. Secretary, Past G. Master Bro. Winslow Lewis, our venerable Bro. Hammatt and others. The following ode, by R. W. John K. Hall, was written for the occasion:—
Long may your East with radiant splendor glow;
The West a golden splendor long reflect;
The South its mid-day beauty here bestow,
While harmony and love all hearts connect.
Ever the Square of Virtue be your guide,
While on Time's Level we as Brothers stray;
To walk and act by Plumb Line be your pride,
While journeying onwards in your heavenward way.
Tour Records ever such as He'II approve,
Whose eye beholds each secret action here;
And may your Treasure all be placed above;
For there reposing, you have nought to fear.
They who prepare the Pilgrim come to seek
That Light which shines throughout this Temple here,
Be ever faithful to their trust, and speak
In words of lewdness the lone heart to cheer.
And he who that important station fills,
To guard your precincts from the Cowan's tread,
Be firm in combatting those various ills,
Which would rank discord in your circle spread.
And thus each one his duty here fulfilled,
Meet that reward which waits the good and true;
Imbibe rich blessings, from high heaven distilled,
As the parched earth absorbs the welcome dew.
And as the name of Hammatt here enshrined,
So may his virtues be in all your hearts;
For that long life with Masonry combined,
A glorious lesson to your Lodge imparts.
May he be spared to meet you here once more,
To find you worthy of his honored name;
And when, at last, his labors here are o'er,
May you receive the mantle of his fame.
INSTALLATION, JANUARY 1878
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. I, No. 11, February 1878, Page 351:
At the last regular meeting of Hammatt Lodge of A. F. and A. M., held at Masonic Hall, Central Square, the following officers were duly installed by W. Pro. John Tyrer, assisted by W. Pro. Geo. H. Grueby, acting as Marshal: Worshipful Master, George E. Harrington; Senior Warden, James Frame; Junior Warden, Clement Gleason; Secretary, Samuel L. Fowle; Chaplain, Hezekiah Mayo; Marshal, Wor. Henry Pigeon, Jr.; Senior Deacon, Henry Yelland; Junior Deacon, Alexander R. Murdock; Senior Steward, Chas. Studley; Junior Steward, Win. O. Donnelly; Inside Sentinel, Almcrin W. Fernald, Jr.; Tyler, Philander Nutter.
The ceremony of installation being completed, W. Bro. John Tyrer, in behalf of Hammett Lodge, presented to W. Bro. Henry Pigeon, Jr., a beautiful Past Master's Jewel. The work of the Lodge being completed, the Brethren, with their invited guests, repaired to the Banquet Hall, and partook of a bountiful collation.
PRESENTATION, FEBRUARY 1879
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. II, No. 12, March 1879, Page 380:
At the February meeting of Hammatt Lodge, R. W. Bro. Albert L. Richardson, a grandson of John B. Hammatt, after whom the Lodge was named, presented the Collar and Apron formerly used by Bro. Hammatt to the Lodge. The picture of this venerable Father in Masonry hangs in the Hall at Fast Boston, and the Brethren now have personal relics of their patron saint, as Wor. Master Harrington appropriately called Father Hammatt. A very interesting address was made on the occasion by Wor. Bro. John L. Stevenson, who alluded to a meeting of Mt. Lebanon Lodge in 1862 when Father Hammatt, at that time a Mason of 60 years' standing, was present.
DISTRICT DEPUTY VISIT, OCTOBER 1882
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. VI, No. 8, November 1882, Page 253:
The Annual Visitation to Hammatt Lodge, A. F. and A. M., of East Boston, by the M. W. Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, took place Tuesday evening, October 24th at Masonic Hall. The Grand Lodge was represented by R. W. Bro. W. H. H. Soule, District Deputy Grand Master of the Third Masonic District; W. Bro. Thomas Kellough, Deputy G. S. W.; W. Bro. Edwin Y. Brown, Deputy Grand J. W.; W. Bro. John Carr, Deputy Grand Treas. ; W. Bro. Samuel Dillaway, Jr., Deputy Grand Sec.; W. Bro. Thomas H. Harding, Dep. Grand Marshal. The work of the evening was finely executed by W. Bro. Henry Yelland and his officers.
BANQUET, MAY 1908
From New England Craftsman, Vol. III, No. 10, July 1908, Page 395:
Hammatt Lodge, East Boston, extended its hospitality to the leading officers of four of its sister lodges Wednesday evening, May 27th, also to Right Worshipful William H. L. Odell, Deputy Grand Master. The visiting brethren and the lodges represented were: St. John's of Boston, Leonard G. Roberts W. M., William S. Heath (P. M.) as S. W. and the rest of his staff; Washington of Roxhury, E. H. Oliver W. M., H. B. Morse S. W. and other officers; Rabboni of Dorchester, Edward F. Newton W. M., Francis E. Lord S. W., and associate officers; Pentucket of Lowell, Frank W. Hall W. M., J. D. Proctor as S. W., and others of the staff. They represented four Masonic districts. Deputy Grand Master Odell was accompanied by William M. Belcher S. G. W., Melvin M. Johnson Grand Marshal, Enos Wasgate, P. G. Master of the Grand Lodge of Florida; Clement G. Lewis W. M. of St. Paul's, Edward S. Willard W. M. of William Parkman and C. H. Sullivan W. M. of Triune, Arlington, N. J.
Percy W. Carver, the Worshipful Master, spoke of his personal gratification at being permitted to greet the Deputy and well-known members of the Craft with him. He referred to the happy relations existing between the present Deputy Grand Master when he was Deputy of the 3d District and the lodges in his jurisdiction and said he had won their love, confidence and esteem.
Deputy Grand Master Odell reciprocated the kindly sentiment and regretted exceedingly, as did the Grand Master, that the latter was called away suddenly and unable to join them. As for himself he could say in all truth that some of the happiest hours of his life had been passed among East Boston lodges, and he rejoiced in the occasion that brought him in their midst again.
The visiting lodges assisted in the work and at its close the officers were presented with bouquets.
Included in the company were Past Masters Albert B. Root and David T. Montague of St. John's Lodge, Worshipful Master Brodrick of Monitor Lodge, Past Masters George E. Harrington, T. Henry Kingston. Tra P. Smith, Horace W. Rand and William W. Grace of Hammatt.
The apartments were adorned with a fine array of palms in the east, west and south stations.
The party was regaled with refreshments of strawberries, ices, sherbet, cake, cocoa and coffee in a substantial way.
50TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, DECEMBER 1909
From New England Craftsman, Vol. V, No. 5, February 1910, Page 166:
Hammatt Lodge, A. F. and A. M. of East Boston, Mass., observed its fiftieth anniversary Thursday. Dec. 23, 1909. Grand Master Dana J. Flanders, District Deputy Grand Master James Gould and Grand Marshal H. P. Ballard were present. Two of the three surviving charter members of the lodge, James M. McLarty and Thomas A. Upham, were present as guests of honor. Another honored guest was Worshipful Brother Albert L. Richardson, Past Master of Mt. Lebanon Lodge, Boston, a grandson of the man for whom the lodge is named. A supper was served early, to about four hundred members and friends, after which an entertainment was given, including the reading of the history of the lodge by George E. Harrington. An address was delivered by Grand Master Flanders in which he said it is no wonder Hammatt Lodge has been prosperous. The man it was named for, John B. Hammatt, lived to see the lodge well started. When it was organized there were less than 6,000 Masons in the State, now there are 57,000, showing an average gain of one thousand a year.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Frederic B. Duncan, DDGM, District 3 (Boston), 1946, 1947; SN
- Justin A. Duncan, DDGM, District 3 (Boston), 1933, 1934; N
- Charles G. Hansen, DDGM, District 3 (Boston), 1958, 1959; SN
- Ralph Kaplan, DDGM, District 3 (Boston), 1988, 1989; N
- Oliver L. Briggs, Memorial
- Winslow Loveland, Memorial
- Murdock Matheson, Memorial
- Edwin R. Smyth, Memorial