Chartered By: Andrew G. Jenkins
Charter Date: 03/11/1959 1959-73
Precedence Date: 03/12/1958
- John M. Ballou, 1958
- Frederick Cheeseman, 1959
- Howard H. Reynolds, 1960
- Meyer Waker, 1961
- Samuel Brown, 1962
- George S. Mimer, 1963
- Morris A. Zirtin, 1964
- Alec E. Bluestein, 1965
- Harry Weinberg, 1966
- Elliot I. Ectman, 1967
- Harry B. Elfman, 1968
- Sheldon C. Bernstein, 1969
- Charles Rembaum, 1970
- William TIck, 1971
- Calvin K. Barnes, 1972
- Milton H. Locke, 1973
- Melvin N. Silverman, 1974
- Abraham Zeilsar, 1975
- Lawrence Rose, 1976
- Morris A. Zirlin, 1977
- Harvey W. Tatelman, 1978, 1979
- Robert Leavitt, 1980
- Alan G. Gilgulin, 1981, 1982; PDDGM
- Cart I. Atlas, 1983. 1984, 1987
- David Franklin, 1985
- Isaac S. Leabman, 1986, 1990
- Gary L Dryfoos, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992
- Jeffrey Arnold, 1993, 1994 PDDGM
Continued with Hammatt-Ocean Past Masters.
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1958
- Petition for Charter: 1959
- Consolidation Petition (with Hammatt Lodge): 1994
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1959 (A. Jenkins; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication)
- 1977 (Maxwell)
- 1983 (Berquist; 25th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1994 (Lovering; Consolidation and installation; Special Communication)
- 1983 (25th Anniversary History, 1983-108)
25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MAY 1983
By R.W. Meyer Weker.
May 7, 1958 - May 7, 1983
"Give yourself to something great, enroll under the banner of a high cause, choose as your own some standard of self-sacrifice, attach yourself to a movement that makes not for your own gain but for the welfare of men, and you will have come upon a richly satisfying as well as engrossing adventure."
Rabbi Stephen S. Wise
A lodge, like an individual, is a living entity, with a pre-natal, birth, and growth record of its own. Thus after a quarter of a century it is natural to pause, look back, and ask why and how Ocean Lodge came into existence, developed as it did, what useful services it performed, and what it has accomplished for its membership and for the community. Why not put the facts together for all to see, in the form of a word picture, a history of this Lodge?
Strictly speaking, the true legal story of any Masonic Lodge is contained in the official records of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts and of the Lodge itself. But there is more to it than a bare outline of dates and requisite facts and events in compliance with the established rules! Accordingly, our purpose here will be to relate some of the highlights in simple, narrative form, trusting that it will prove enlightening for the present occasion, and perhaps of value to the historians of future periods.
The first and early years provide more detailed, more interesting and dramatic material, while the later years flow along more routinely.
Our Lodge is located in the Town of Winthrop, which is still practically an island, with only two roads in and out. It is only a few miles northeast of historic Boston, the second smallest municipality as regards land area in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. One can easily look across the harbor and see the "big city" in clear outline. Its skyline has been changing constantly, with more and more tall structures being erected, and still more drastic changes are planned for the years ahead.
Winthrop was named for John Winthrop, the first Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. For many years, it was a popular vacation area, with hotels and beaches everywhere. It has become, in the latter part of the twentieth century, a pleasant and thriving community of about 20,000 people, many of whom commute daily to Boston for their employment and other activities. It may fairly be described as, in all respects, a town of middle class Americans.
Even in the short time since Ocean Lodge came into being, among major changes were the closing of the two old military installation, Fort Banks and Fort Heath . . . once vital and integral parts of the defense system of Boston Harbor . . . and their replacement by modern, brick apartments and condominiums.
The events which led to the creation of Ocean Lodge, as well as the individuals who took an active part in it, constitute an important chapter in its story. Many of the ideas and ideals of its founder were incorporated into the lifeblood of the new organization, to become, in a short time, accepted practice. Hence, this pre-natal phase should now be set forth.
In the years preceding our birth in 1958, our Town boasted one symbolic body, Winthrop Lodge, A. F. & A. M., which was founded in 1887. However, as a result of the shifting of population groups and individuals, so prevalent during the last few generations, many new people of different strains and origins began to occupy the area. Some of these were already enlisted in the ranks of Freemasonry, having joined in their former residential communities. All, quite naturally, preferred to belong to a Masonic Lodge in their present home town of Winthrop. Considerable talk and conjecture in this subject over a period of several years could be heard in local fraternal circles, and the feeling seemed to be that a new Lodge was the answer!
Finally, three Past Masters of Winthrop Lodge, Worshipfuls Howard S. Reynolds, John M. Ballou, and Frederick H. Cheeseman, convinced that it would be for the best interests of all concerned to attract as many present and future Masons as possible into active association with local Masonry, and feeling that the time was propitious to act, determined to go forward. In the spring of 1957, they invited seven other Winthrop Masons to join with them in this purpose. They were: Worshipfuls John G. Markley and Joseph F. March, Past and Presiding Masters of Winthrop Lodge, respectively; Meyer Weker, Past Master of Hammatt Lodge of Boston; Bro. Samuel Brown, also of Hammatt Lodge; and Bros. Charles Liberman, Samuel I. Morrison, and Carl H. Ravich, all of Noddle's Island Lodge, Boston. It will be noted that this committee of ten, who were soon to become the "Founders of Ocean Lodge, A. F. & A. M." was composed of five Past Masters of Winthrop Lodge, and five others whose Masonic affiliation was elsewhere, but all were inhabitants of this Town. A number of productive sessions were held; every phase of the subject of organizing a new lodge was fully and frankly discussed and planned. The opinion of the ten founders was both enthusiastic and unanimous, And so, on May 7, 1957, they issued the following statement:
"We believe that there is an urgent need for a new lodge in the Town of Winthrop to render true Masonic service to our community, and, at the same time, bring additional strength and support to our beloved Fraternity. Therefore, we are happy to propose the formation of a lodge to be known as Ocean Lodge, and pledge ourselves to use our best efforts to make it a worthy and lasting monument to the ideals of service and brotherhood."
Thereupon the Founders' Committee literally "rolled up its sleeves" and went to work! They quickly obtained the full cooperation of Winthrop Lodge and of the Trustees of the Winthrop Masonic Building Association. These were significant factors, as the former would furnish the physical and moral sponsorship of the existing neighboring lodge, while the latter gave assurance that it would be permitted to hold its meetings in the home building of local Masonry, the Masonic Temple at 196 Winthrop Street, Winthrop, Massachusetts. Support of this nature should definitely help to impress the Grand Master and the Grand Lodge favorably!
The name "Ocean Lodge" was quickly decided upon as the most logical and most descriptive, considering Winthrop's location on the Atlantic coast, and that it was almost entirely surrounded by water.
In order to be true to our purpose, it was agreed that, in the absence of any objection, any Mason living in the town would be eligible to join as a Charter Member, and the number would be limited to 100. This was soon increased to 125, to accommodate the strong response that developed. The affiliation fee was set at $25.00, which would provide adequate funds to cover initial costs and expenses. The Founders' Committee met at the Masonic Temple in Winthrop every Wednesday evening throughout the summer of 1957, to sign up the Charter Members, and take care of the numerous details that are involved in commencing a new fraternal entity. Word about what was contemplated had spread rapidly throughout the Town, so that there was no problem at all in completing the quota of 125, only a handful of whom resided outside.
Worshipfuls John M. Ballou, Frederick H. Cheeseman, and Howard S. Reynolds were the choices of the Founders for the office of Master, Senior Warden, and Junior Warden, respectively, of Ocean Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Under Dispensation, in recognition of their keen foresight and unselfish dedication to the ideal of another Masonic Lodge in the Town of Winthrop. Others of the Founders' group selected for officership were: Brother Dr. Charles Liberman as Treasurer; Worshipful Meyer Weker as Senior Deacon; and Brother Samuel Brown as Junior Deacon, while Worshipful John G. Markley and Brothers Samuel I. Morrison and Carl H. Ravich were to become our first Board of Trustees. The selection of Brother Allen D. Williamson, the Secretary of Winthrop Royal Arch Chapter, as our first Secretary assured us of the services of a most competent and popular worker in a key position.
On September 3, 1957, with all the loose ends having been taken care of insofar as could be determined, the formal petition was delivered to the Grand Master's Office at 51 Boylston Street, Boston. Then commenced a period of doubt and waiting as to the final outcome. We soon learned that it was being carefully studied, due to the opposition of certain lodges in Greater Boston, who contended that there were already sufficient Masonic Lodges in existence to take care of the fraternal requirements of all Winthropites, and that a new lodge would have the effect of reducing their field of applicants, and consequently tend to reduce their income from initiation fees.
Finally, late in March 1958, we were informed that Most Worshipful Andrew G. Jenkins had issued the necessary dispensation. The favorable news was greeted in Winthrop Masonic circles with great pleasure and excitement!
And so, on Wednesday evening, May 7, 1958, Ocean Lodge, A. F. & A. M. was instituted by Right Worshipful Charles G. Hansen, District Deputy Grand Master for the Boston Third Masonic District, into which district the new lodge had been placed. He was assisted by Worshipfuls Harry Korelitz, his Secretary and Edgar M. Mills, his Marshal. The brief but pleasant ceremony took place before a capacity audience in Masonic Temple, Winthrop. It was preceded by a catered dinner in the banquet hall. As the principal business of the meeting, Worshipful Meyer Weker, the first Chairman of the Membership Committee, formally read twenty-eight new applications for the degrees, all from residents of the community. This was indeed an auspicious beginning for the new lodge!
Ocean Lodge immediately became a beehive of fraternal and ritualistic activity. In addition to our regular meeting on the First Wednesday of the month, we were assigned the Second Wednesday for rehearsals and special communications. A pattern soon developed whereby the Third (Master Mason) Degree was exemplified at each regular meeting, with both First (Entered Apprentice) Degree and Second (Fellow Craft) Degree at each special meeting. A catered dinner was served at a nominal charge at the former, while a buffet-style collation at no charge was offered at the latter.
The large number of applicants elected to receive their degrees at our early meetings resulted in the decision to form classes of five candidates each, the maximum permissible number. The honor of being the first man raised in Ocean Lodge, on September 3, 1958, went to Brother Irving Semone Fisher, who had submitted the first application, the others in the class being Brothers Maurice Altshuler, Edmund Jerome Brown, Louis Isadore Weinstein, and Burton Ralph Wolinski. On the same evening, the first charge to the candidates was eloquently delivered by our Chaplain, Brother Rabbi Meyer S. Baer. And, while on the subject of "firsts," our first guest speaker, on October 1, 1958, was the late, beloved Worshipful and Reverend Harry P. Folger II, Pastor of the First Church of Winthrop, Methodist. As an Honorary Member of the Grand Lodge of Israel, he fascinated everyone with his talk, "Masonry in Israel." Shortly thereafter he became an affiliated member and a Chaplain of Ocean Lodge.
From the start, we were favored with near capacity attendance at all our meetings; it was particularly gratifying to get large groups of members and guests at the special communications when only the First and Second Degrees were done. This strong support on the "sidelines" has, on the whole, continued for many years.
The Founders and the original officers firmly believed a lodge should not be saddled with expensive policies and practices, dependent on candidates' fees, whose number must necessarily remain uncertain and conjectural. Rather, they felt that the ideal should be a smaller, local body, concentrating on purely Masonic ritualistic work and activities, requiring only a modest budget, based mainly on income from dues. For example, social events, such as ladies' nights should be as self-sustaining as possible.
Likewise, they believed that correct ritual, both the spoken word and the floor work, was always an attraction and a joy to Masons, and thus a source of strength to the lodge. Hence, many serious rehearsals were conducted. We can modestly say that, from the beginning, Ocean Lodge's performance in this regard has been of a caliber of which we are all proud, and which has made it a leader amongst the lodges in the Boston area. Much of the credit for the success of our lodge in this respect, and in many other phases of lodge work and administration, has been due to the determined efforts of Worshipful John M. Ballou. Our Charter Master was a popular and respected leader for the reason that we all appreciated his dedication and sincerity!
Equally, a high standard of proficiency from our candidates in mastering their lectures, as they advanced through the several degrees, was demanded. Our late Brother Benjamin Ruskin, who was succeeded by Brother Milton H. Locke, as Chairman of the Instruction Committee and our group of instructors, have always labored diligently. They knew that if the fundamentals were learned at the very beginning, when interest ran high, they would always be essentially retained. Almost every class has exemplified at least the lecture of the Entered Apprentice Degree in open lodge, and in nearly perfect fashion, too.
The colorful cover for our monthly meeting notice, combining marine and Masonic motifs, a realistic view of white waves against a light green background, and white Masonic symbols on deep blue, was an original design by Brother William E. Kaufman, who also created our attractive Lodge seal.
At this point, we should make grateful acknowledgement of the generosity of some thirty well-wishers, both lodges and individuals. The former were: Winthrop (Winthrop); Henry Price (Charlestown); Hammatt, Mount Tabor, and Major General Henry Knox (all of Boston). Also, the Square and Compass Club of Winthrop. Some of the more exceptional items presented to the new lodge were: a large and unusual Bible (Brother Charles Liberman); a set of silver working tools in a display case (Brother Samuel I. Morrison); a tyler's sword, formerly owned by Worshipful N. Elliot Willis, Past Master of Winthrop Lodge (Worshipful Howard S. Reynolds); an attractive trestle-board, a specially-made wooden case holding the officers' collars and aprons, a striking-looking contribution box for the "Sunshine Fund," a set of excellent drawings of the emblems, complete with stand for display in the East (Brother Morris Zirlin); and many others. The early classes, on being raised, presented a specific article to the Lodge for use in its work, while later classes have generally donated a modest sum of cash. These practical gifts furnished us with almost all the supplies and paraphernalia to enable Ocean Lodge to begin functioning at once.
During the ten months "Under Dispensation" a Committee on By-Laws was appointed, with Worshipful Meyer Weker as Chairman. They expended considerable time and effort to produce an effective code, which was then adopted by the Lodge, and finally approved by Grand Lodge. A printed copy was furnished to every member. Among its salient features were provisions for the establishment of Permanent, Reserve, and Relief Funds, under the control of a Board of Trustees, three in number, with the requirement that one-half of each initiation fee be deposited in these funds. This has proved a source of strength and stability when later the Lodge encountered periods of economic stress, inflation, and recession.
Brother George W. Downie served faithfully and well as Chairman of the Committee of Auditors for many years, until called to the Celestial Lodge Above. Currently, this Committee comprises Brother Leonard Fafel, William I. Allen, and Worshipful Calvin K. Barnes.
Ocean Lodge has been fortunate in the field of musical harmony. Our own Brother Henry Weene was available at the organ at all early and special meetings, while the late Brother Carl W. Malley, a member of Winthrop Lodge, officiated at the regular communications. They were followed by the late William Friso Frank (a professional teacher of music who, incidentally, very kindly left Ocean Lodge its first bequest), and now by Brother Ian Stewart at the organ. Appropriate vocal selections were pleasingly rendered by the late Brother Fred B. Croswell, who was followed by Worshipful Joseph M. Sherriff, as soloist. The latter is well known for his closing prayer in English and Hebrew.
Ocean Lodge, having been deemed to have successfully completed its probationary period, was formally constituted on March 23, 1959 by Most Worshipful Andrew G. Jenkins, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, and his officers (1959 Mass. 73-76). This historic event was preceded by a fine, catered dinner which, due to the large number in attendance, was enjoyed in the spacious dining hall of the Methodist Church across from the Masonic Temple. Its pastor, Brother and Reverend Folger, now a chaplain, very kindly extended this courtesy. When the large assemblage returned to the lodge room, the time-honored and impressive of constituting a new lodge was capably performed by the Most Worshipful Grand Master and suite of Grand Lodge officers. Their names and stations are listed below:
- M. W. Andrew G. Jenkins, Grand Master
- R. W. Henry F. Smith, Deputy Grand Master
- R. W. Alexander F. Dunbar, Senior Grand Warden
- R. W. Roland D. Seger, Junior Grand Warden
- R. W. Frederick W. Hale, Grand Treasurer
- R. W. Earl W. Taylor, Grand Secretary
- R. W. George H. Upton, Grand Marshal
- Wor. Francis W.B. Scott, Grand Tyler
Practically all of the one hundred twenty-five Masons whose names appear on the charter were present, to glory in this "impossible dream" come true, and which they, themselves, had made possible!
The officers, previously named, who had rendered such outstanding service throughout the months of planning and organizing the new Ocean Lodge A. F. & A. M., and while it was "Under Dispensation," were now duly installed into their respective offices. All in all, it may be said that the dedication of a new lodge and the installation of its new officers by the Grand Lodge is an event that one is not privileged very often to witness, and one that will ever remain in the hearts and minds of the observers.
In addition to the six Past Masters who were members of the committee of ten Founders, the following Past Masters of Greater Boston Lodges were also Charter Members: Worshipfuls Amos B. Crooks, Richard B. Learnard, and Clarence A. Poole, all of Winthrop Lodge; Worshipful Arnold Glasser, Arron Glasser, and Alden A. Osgood, all of Major General Henry Knox Lodge; Worshipful Nathan J. Pransky of Aberdour Lodge. Also, our rolls contained one Past District Deputy Grand Master, Right Worshipful Thomas Knudson, of the Chelsea Third Masonic District, who was also a Past Master of Winthrop Lodge.
One of our Charter Members, Worshipful Aaron Glasser, was at the time stationed in Paris, France, with our Armed Forces, and mailed his signature, which was then attached to the official petition.
By the end of the second year, the volume of prospects for membership, as was to be expected, began to decline. The big rush was a thing of the past. Hence, the special meetings on the Second Wednesday of each month were discontinued.
Ocean Lodge has always enjoyed a very special relationship with the Square and Compass Club of Winthrop, a social organization of Masons residing in our town, which was formed in the middle Forties. Most of the members of each now also belong to the other, so that most of the events staged by each body necessarily attract members of both. The Lodge and the Club have been mutually beneficial in many ways.
Some years ago, Grand Lodge ended a long-standing prohibition, and permitted regular lodges to sponsor DeMolay Chapters. These young boys deserved our support, financial and otherwise, as they were the future leaders of our communities and our country, as well as future Masons. Accordingly, on October 13, 1965, Ocean Lodge voted to join Winthrop Lodge and the Square and Compass Club of Winthrop to co-sponsor the Winthrop Chapter of DeMolay. This arrangement was continued so long as there were boys interested and willing to keep up the vital work of DeMolay. Unfortunately, this did not last many years.
In the old days, a Masonic Lodge would render direct help to those who were in need.. .a Brother was given funds to meet his rent bill, or a widow received a ton of coal to heat her home, or a family's holiday was brightened by a basket of food, etc. Thanks to compassionate social legislation, this type of aid has not been necessary for the last few generations.
In recent decades, the Grand Lodge, in cooperation with the American Red Cross, has established the Masonic Blood Bank, offering Masons the opportunity to literally give of themselves, of their own life blood, to relieve the sick. This is as exalted a form of charity as we know! Due to the efforts of such heads of our Blood Committee as Worshipful Sheldon C. Bernstein and Brother George Gloss, Ocean Lodge has won the plaque (representing a minimum of 100 pints donated) for ten of its twenty five years. May this kind of achievement long continue!
The regular meetings generally have included dinners, exemplification of the Third Degree with one or more candidates, and perhaps a speaker or entertainment. Occasionally, a degree team was invited to participate. Sometimes, a special program was conducted in the lodge room; among those which we have held are:
- Ranch and Bar Night
- Blue Lodge Night
- Brotherhood Night
- Presiding Masters' Night
- Past Masters' Night
- Old Timers' Night
- Senior Wardens' Night
- Junior Wardens' Night
- Sports Night
- Royal Arch Night
Worthy of particular mention is the time-honored "Table Lodge," which was practiced in the late 18th and early 19th centuries when lodges usually met in well-known inns and taverns; it is a colorful festival, interspersed with seven toasts drunk with wine or grape juice, all according to definitely prescribed Grand Lodge rules. Our first such event took place in early 1962, and we have had several more since then.
These diversions have added a variety of interest to the meetings. When all this is done in an atmosphere of warmth and fraternalism, visitors from other lodges are attracted; thus Ocean Lodge has been popularly accorded the appellation "The Friendly Lodge," which its members regard with pride and pleasure.
A number of significant "firsts" might well be recorded chronologically in this history, as follows:
- First "Joseph Warren Medal for Distinguished Service" was awarded to Worshipful Meyer Weker on February 1, 1961.
- First Masonic funeral service was conducted over the remains of our late, devoted worker, Brother Benjamin Ruskin on September 21, 1961.
- First candidate over 75 years of age to be raised in this Lodge was Brother Isaiah Dopkeen on November 1, 1961 (our oldest).
- First time that a Presiding Master raised his own son occurred on March 2, 1966, when Worshipful Alec E. Bluestein performed this Masonic service for Brother Mark S. Bluestein.
- First member raised in our Lodge to be installed as Worshipful Master was Worshipful Harry Weinberg in September 1966.
- First Boston Third Masonic District Officer appointed from Ocean Lodge was Worshipful Elliot I. Ectman, who held the office of District Deputy Grand Secretary in the years 1972-1973.
- First affiliated Past Master elected and installed as our Worshipful Master was Worshipful William Tick in September 1971.
- First Worshipful Master, initially elected and installed as a Warden without "going through the line," was Worshipful Milton H. Locke, who served in 1973-1974.
- First member of Ocean Lodge appointed as a Grand Representative (to Goias, a province of Brazil) was Right Worshipful Meyer Weker in 1976.
- First Master who was subsequently again elected and installed as Worshipful Master was Worshipful Morris Zirlin in September, 1977.
- First Master who was elected and installed to succeed himself for a second term was Worshipful Harvey Tatelman in September 1979.
- First District Deputy Grand Master of our Boston Third Masonic District to become an affiliated member of Ocean Lodge was Right Worshipful Paul W. Anderson in 1982.
Many of our members have earned the gratitude of their Brethren for their contributions, in one form or another, to Ocean Lodge. However, several of our members have given particularly long and devoted service during our first quarter century, thus being deemed to richly merit "Honorable Mention" (in this history), and we take pride in briefly setting forth some of the details herein: Brother Samuel I. Morrison, "wearing two hats", 1) as the ever-available Chairman of Membership, whose lovely wife, Mollie, always fed the Brethren tasty, home-baked delicacies at every committee meeting; and 2) as the conscientious, hard-working Lodge treasurer, in whose hands Ocean Lodge's monies are always safe.
Brother Jesse F. Barnes, our Tyler, whose smiling countenance and cheery manner greeted all who attended our meetings, from the very first day.
Worshipful Milton H. Locke, who rendered yeoman service in a number of capacities: 1) as head of the instructors for the candidates; 2) as Chairman of the Entertainment Committee, especially accomplished in the management of the annual Ladies' Night and weekend trips; and 3) as the Lodge's helper in numerous ways, both in the dining hall and in the lodge room.
Brother Irving Ectman, the original Electrician of Ocean Lodge, who faithfully and efficiently regulated the lights at every regular and special meeting.
Our Charter Secretary, the late Brother Allen D. Williamson, organized this, the most difficult job in any lodge, in a superior manner, winning the respect of all Masons in this vicinity. His patient, friendly personality during his sixteen years in office endeared him to everyone!
Worshipful Sheldon C. Bernstein assumed charge of the Lodge's function in the Masonic Blood Program, and for a number of years raised our contribution to over 100 gallons, thus winning the Grand Lodge award for each of those years. As master, he was a capable administrator and an excellent ritualist.
Brother Nathan Andelman, the familiar, smiling figure in the East, who, as Associate Chaplain and later as Chaplain, pronounced sincere and meaningful prayers for all.
Worshipful Morris A. Zirlin, talented and always eager to help, created many physical items of value and utility for the Lodge, as well as assisting in the ritualistic work on numerous occasions, even when not holding office.
Brother Nathan Maibor is typical of the dozen or so "hale and hearty" Oceanites who comprise the Commissary Committee. They help out by their hard physical work in the kitchen and/or as waiters whenever the Lodge undertakes to stage a dinner or a collation. They make for a pleasant evening, while conserving lodge funds. We salute each and every one of this grand culinary crew!
Brother Harry M. Marcus, our ever-obliging Chairman of the Service Committee, a position he has ably filled for some years. Bringing good cheer to the sick and bereaved is his specialty. His car also provides Ocean Lodge's "taxi service." Anyone needing a ride to the Lodge, or home after a meeting, may rest assured that he'll be taken care of!
Brother Louis Yaffe has for years donated candies and toys to our annual Chanukah-Christmas Party, thus making the youngsters happy. He is a veritable Santa Claus, and Ocean Lodge is grateful to him!
Brother Leonard Fafel has given his time freely to the Lodge over a period of years, both as an active auditor, and as an adviser in matters of finance.
In concluding this brief outline, our thanks and appreciation go to all — our founders, charter members, officers, and members. Even to their spouses and families, all of whom extended moral support! From 1958 to 1983, they contributed to the building of a strong and sturdy human structure, on the sound moral principles and spirit of Freemasonry. It has been operated on a high standard of fraternal service and usefulness. We are all justly proud of our Ocean Lodge! If the past twenty-five years is any criterion, it is firmly embarked on its mission to even finer and greater achievements in the fraternal world. We hope and confidently expect that the Masonry which it disseminates will assist in bringing closer to reality the concept of "The Brotherhood of Man, under the Fatherhood of God."
25TH ANNIVERSARY, MAY 1983
From TROWEL, Summer 1983, Page 18:
The necessary dispensation for the founding of the Lodge was issued by Most Worshipful Andrew G. Jenkins on May 7, 1958, when a petition was presented by ten well-known and active Masons and citizens of the Town, who desired to have "the best Masonic Lodge ever for this pretty coastal community named after the first Governor of Massachusetts".
The names of: Wor. Howard S. Reynolds; Wor. Meyer Weker; Bro. Doctor Charles Liberman; Wor. Samuel Brown; Wor. John G. Markley; Wor. Joseph F. March; Bro. Carl H. Ravich and Bro. Samuel I. Morrison, comprised the "Founders of Ocean Lodge"; the name they adopted was natural and descriptive.
Commencing with 125 Charter Members, the Lodge built slowly and carefully to the present complement of 375 total.
The Lodge meets on the first Wednesday of the month in the Masonic Hall, 196 Winthrop Street, in the historic Town of Winthrop.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Paul W. Anderson, DDGM, District 3 (Boston), 1982, 1983; Senior Grand Warden 1985; N
- Jeffrey Arnold, DDGM, District 3 (Boston), 1998, 1999
- Harry Paine Folger, II, Grand Chaplain 1962-1965
- Alan G. Gilgulin, DDGM, District 3 (Boston), 1984, 1985; N
- Donald F. Tabbut, DDGM, District 3 (Chelsea), 2001, 2002; N