Greylock

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search

GREYLOCK LODGE

Location: North Adams

Chartered By: Sereno D. Nickerson

Charter Date: 09/11/1872 1872-143

Precedence Date: 09/14/1871

Current Status: in Grand Lodge Vault; merged with Lafayette Lodge to form Lafayette-Greylock Lodge, 04/25/1988.


PAST MASTERS

  • Ashley B. Wright, 1872; SN
  • Jasper H. Adams, 1873
  • Lucius C. Rand, 1874, 1876
  • James E. Hunter, 1875
  • Henry D. Ward, 1877-1879
  • Henry C. Rand, 1880, 1881
  • E. T. Dart, 1882-83
  • Frederick W. Reed, 1884-1886
  • Jesse A. Twing, 1887, 1888
  • Henry E. Blake, 1889, 1890
  • Frank N. Blake, 1891, 1892
  • Hobart C. Tower, 1893, 1894; SN
  • Joseph Makant, 1895
  • Cornelius Wylde, 1896, 1897
  • Dwight White, 1898, 1899
  • William A. Smith, 1900
  • Herbert P. Linnell, 1901, 1902
  • George F. Miller, 1903, 1904; SN
  • Charles W. Ford, 1905, 1906
  • William E. Orton, 1907
  • Albert H. Spencer, 1908, 1909
  • Everett E. Worthy, 1910
  • Peter Williamson, 1911
  • Albert S. Towle, 1912
  • Robert R. Costine, 1913
  • Nathan B. Flood, 1914
  • James O'Halleran, 1915
  • Harry H. Tower, 1916
  • Howard M. Rice, 1917
  • William E. Lamb, 1918
  • Joseph L. Malcolm, 1919; N
  • Frederick D. Eldridge, 1920; N
  • John P. Miller, 1921
  • Charles A. Williamston, 1922
  • Kenneth W. Carpenter, 1923
  • Frank E. Floyd, 1924
  • Edward L. Williams, 1925
  • Harold R. Norcross, 1926
  • Albert E. Garratt, 1927
  • Paul C. Willson, 1928
  • Robert A. Fairbanks, 1929
  • Alfred S. Dracup, 1930
  • Earl M. Norcross, 1931
  • Ralph E. Ballou, 1932; N
  • Henry W. Howes, 1933
  • Charles Bulkwell, 1934
  • Arthur G. Flood, 1935
  • Irving C. Ruhman, 1936
  • Harry A. Messier, 1937, 1940; N
  • John E. Ransden, 1938
  • Clinton E. Whitney, 1937
  • Charles E. Stein, 1941
  • Harry W. Brierley, 1942
  • Arthur E. Messier, 1943
  • Leon M. Tisdale, 1944, 1945
  • Marvin Kay, 1946
  • Raymond J. Crosier, 1947
  • Charles A. Hastings, 1948
  • Oscoe E. Gilman, 1949
  • Arthur E. Spencer, 1950
  • James A. McLaren, 1951; N
  • Frederick H. Potter, 1952
  • Lafayette H. Sprague, 1953
  • William M. Alison, 1954
  • Norman W. Miller, 1955; N
  • Walter A. Alderman, 1956
  • Robert D. Smith, 1957
  • Earl D. Sherman, 1958
  • William M. Kirby, Jr., 1959
  • Harry S. Nelson, Jr., 1960; N
  • Donald R. Millberry, 1961
  • Roy F. Caron, 1962
  • E. Norman Bailey, 1963
  • Harvey L. Robinson, 1964
  • Arthur Heyes, 1965
  • George H. Fessenden, 1966
  • Mitchell Maloof, 1967
  • Jack E. Russell, 1968
  • Roger B. Ottman, 1969
  • Edward A. Cancro, 1970
  • Louis G. Babeu, 1971
  • Leo M. Risatti, 1972
  • William E. Card, 1973
  • Charles N. Cahoon, 1974; PDDGM
  • Lawrence B. Hiser, 1975
  • Frank K. Tatro, 1976
  • Carleton E. Perry, 1977
  • Franklin Stevens, 1978, 1983; PDDGM
  • Joseph D. Merrick, 1979
  • Raymond H. Moulthrop, 1980, 1981; PDDGM
  • Robert E. Brownsward, 1982
  • Louis G. Babeu, 1984, 1985
  • Harold G. Hewitt, 1986, 1987

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1871
  • Petition for Charter: 1872
  • Consolidation Petition (with Lafayette Lodge): 1987

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1922 (50th Anniversary)
  • 1971 (Centenary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1876 1878 1882 1920 1921 1922 1924 1927 1928 1930 1963 1968 1969 1977 1980 1981

HISTORY

  • 1922 (50th Anniversary History, 1922-368; see below)
  • 1971 (brief Centenary History, 1971-440; see below)

50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1922

From Proceedings, Page 1922-368:

By Worshipful Charles A. Williams

According to an old "charge" delivered to initiates Freemasonry is declared to be an ancient and honorable institution; ancient no doubt it is, as having subsisted from time immemorial; and honorable it must be acknowledged to be, as by a natural tendency it conduces to make those so who are obedient to its precepts. To so high an eminence has its credit been advanced that in every age monarchs themselves have been promoters of the art, have not thought it derogatory to their dignity to exchange the sceptre for the trowel, have patronized our mysteries and joined in our assemblies.

Claim has been made that Moses was a Grand Master Mason and some students of the craft claim that a form of Masonry existed prior to the flood. However, it is certain that the structure of Masonry has risen through the centuries of the world's history and that there are authentic records of the past six hundred years. The mother Grand Lodge of the world is that of England which was inaugurated in the metropolis on St. John the Baptist's day in the year 1717.

Although Freemasonry existed in the colonies prior to 1733, the first regular Lodge of Freemasons in the United States was opened on the 31st of August, 1733, by Henry Price who was granted authority by the Grand Lodge of England.

The history of Freemasonry in America is closely identified with the lives of our great men. Benjamin Franklin was an initiate of the Lodge in Philadelphia and George "Washington was initiated in a Scottish Lodge at Fredericksburg, Va., in 1752 and since his time many of our chief executives have been Masons. With the exception of the period from 1826 to 1845 the history of American Freemasonry has been a steadily progressive one. This was a period of depression caused partially by political differences, but mainly by the Morgan episode which caused such an outburst of anti-Masonic demonstrations that many of the Lodges gave up their charters.

We learn that many years prior to there being a Lodge at North Adams the Brethren frequently walked from here to Cheshire and return between sunset and sunrise to meet with Franklin Lodge which was chartered June 9, 1794. It is also of interest that the meetings were arranged to come at the time of the full moon that the Brethren might have light for the journey. For several years the identity of Franklin Lodge has been lost, due probably to the fact that this was one of the Lodges which disbanded during the anti-Masonic period. On July 18, 1847, a dispensation was granted by the Grand Lodge for the formation of Lafayette Lodge in North Adams.

For a period Masonry made a healthy growth in North Adams until, due to misunderstanding, factions appeared and the progress of the order was nearly at an standstill; so pronounced were the factional divisions that a growth in membership was impossible for the applications that were presented by one side were rejected by the other, and for more than a year not a member was taken into the order. To clear matters a group of the Brothers having secured the consent of Lafayette Lodge and the approval of Daniel Upton, at that time District Deputy Grand Master, presented a petition to the Grand Lodge of the State for the second Masonic Lodge in North Adams. This petition was granted Sept. 10, 1871.

This petition, which provided that this new body be called Greylock Lodge, of which Ashley B. Wright was to be the first Master with Jasper H. Adams and Arthur M. Tinker as the first Wardens, was signed by the following Brothers: J. H. Adams, George M. Darby, A. B. Wright, Edward W. Loomis, A. M. Tinker, L. C. Band, Samuel Keyes, E. Southwick, Jr., H. W. N. Cole, Jas. E. Hunter, Geo. Davis, John A. Rice, Prank H. Goodrich, John Park-hill, George C. Lawrence, Geo. L. Rice, Geo. French, and Thos. Sherwin.

The first regular meeting of Greylock Lodge under Dispensation was held October 10, 1871, at which meeting the petitions of Henry C. Rand, Wallace Freeman, and A. W. Locke were received.

It was voted that the regular meetings be held on the second Tuesday of each month, and committees on aprons, rods, batons, and a gavel were appointed; also on jewels, finance, by-laws, and to secure a hall. At this meeting it was voted that the initiation fee be thirty dollars.

At the regular meeting held December 12, 1871, the committee to secure a hall recommended that the sum of one thousand dollars be raised to fit up and furnish the hall in Witt's Block, on Bank Street. It was voted that the Finance Committee, consisting of the first three officers of the Lodge, be authorized to use their own discretion in raising the necessary money to-fit up said hall.

At the regular meeting February 13, 1872, the Hall Committee reported that their duties had been accomplished. It was voted at this meeting that smoking be prohibited in the Lodge-room and only allowed in the anteroom after the close of the Lodge.

At the regular meeting June 1, 1872, by a unanimous vote the Secretary was directed to offer the use of Greylock Lodge-rooms to Lafayette Lodge while they were refitting their own rooms which were damaged by the late fire.

On October 1, 1872, the Dedication and Constitution of Greylock Lodge took place and the following officers were installed; Grand Master Sereno D. Nickerson and officers of the Grand Lodge being present at the ceremony.

  • Ashley B. Wright, Worshipful Master
  • Jasper H. Adams, Senior Warden
  • Arthur M. Tinker, Junior Warden
  • Lucius C. Rand, Senior Deacon
  • James E. Hunter, Junior Deacon
  • T. A. Griffin, Chaplain
  • Geo. F. Miller, Secretary
  • Geo. Davis, Marshal
  • John A. Rice, Senior Steward
  • L. G. Parker, Junior Steward
  • H. C. Rand, Tyler

May 23, 1876, Special Communication of Greylock Lodge of A.F. and A.M. held at North Adams in Lafayette Lodge-rooms — the rooms of Greylock Lodge and contents, situated in Witt's Block, having been destroyed by fire on the night of May 14, 1876. A communication from Lafayette Lodge was read extending sympathy for our loss by the fire and inviting this Lodge to a free occupancy of these rooms until such time as we may become permanently located. Moved and voted that the thanks of Greylock Lodge be returned to Lafayette Lodge for the truly Masonic spirit which it has so opportunely displayed. Moved that a committee be appointed to confer with Lafayette Lodge with a view to making arrangements for securing a permanent place for meeting.

June 13, 1876. Committee on renting Lodge-room reported that Greylock Lodge had accepted the terms offered which were as follows:

Greylock Lodge to pay the sum of one hundred and eighty dollars per annum for the use of rooms and furniture and to pay pro rata for fuel and gas, to be paid quarterly beginning the first day of July, 1876. July 11, 1876. Voted to purchase a set of jewels at sixty-five dollars and a square and compass at twenty dollars, also the other necessary equipment for the Lodge. Voted to purchase collars at $7.75 each.

November 21, 1876. Voted unanimously that it is the sense of the Lodge that the by-laws be so amended as to reduce dues from one dollar and twenty-five cents per quarter to seventy-five cents per quarter.

November 12, 1878. It was voted that twenty-five dollars be appropriated for the relief of yellow fever sufferers. In our present generation this is an unheard of malady, thanks to modern preventive measures. July 8, 1879. Voted that the committee appointed to confer with Lafayette Lodge relative to name of hall be instructed to proceed and change the name to Masonic Hall.

January 28, 1883. This meeting was called to attend the funeral of Thos. B. Sherwin who was a charter member of the Lodge, his being the first original member who was taken from us by death added to the sadness of the event. His remains were escorted to the grave and buried with Masonic honors.

August 17, 1897. This meeting was called for the purpose of attending the funeral of Ashley B. Wright, first Master of Greylock Lodge. This loss was deeply felt by Greylock Lodge. The following resolutions which were adopted October 12, 1897, express clearly the worth of this man to Greylock Lodge and the community.

"Whereas, in the providence of God, Greylock Lodge has been called to mourn the loss by sudden death of our Right Worshipful Brother, Ashley B. Wright, which occurred on the evening of August 14, 1917;

"At the organization of this Lodge he was the choice of the Brethren as their first Worshipful Master. He faithfully performed the duties of that office and ever thereafter took pride in being interested in this Lodge and all that pertained to its best interests and Masonic welfare. In December, 1885, he was at Boston installed D.D.G.M. of the 14th Masonic District of Massachusetts and filled that important office with honor to himself and profit to the Craft.

Brother Wright had been honored with several public trusts and was at the time of his death their representative to Congress from the first Congressional District of Massachusetts. His sudden death caused a shadow of gloom throughout the district. His funeral, held at his late residence, was attended by many prominent men, both in public and private life, attesting the worth and appreciation by them of the life and usefulness of the departed. A delegation from Greylock Lodge accompanied his remains to their last resting place in Hinsdale, Mass., where they were deposited with Masonic honors. In the death of Bro. Wright occurs the first death among those who have filled the office of Master of this Lodge. We deem it fitting that record be made of his worth as an exemplary man and Mason among us; therefore, be it

"Resolved, that in the death of Ashley B. Wright this Lodge has met with an irreparable loss. We knew him as a worthy man, a useful citizen and a Christian gentleman, honoring his profession; we commend his life, his example as worthy of imitation by every member of this Lodge.

"Resolved that this preamble and resolution be spread upon our records, thus becoming a part of the history of Greylock Lodge."

April 23, 1901. Special communication for the purpose of receiving Most Worshipful Grand Master Chas. T. Gallagher; Albert A. Folsom, R.W.D. Grand Master; W. H. H. Soule, R.W. Senior Grand Warden; David T. Remington, R.W. Junior Grand Warden; Sereno D. Nickerson. R.W. Recording Grand Secretary; Wm. B. Lawrence, Grand Marshal; C. E. Peck, Grand Lecturer; and P. H. Oakman, R.W. D.D. Grand Master for the 13th District. The visit of the Grand Officers was of especial interest since it brought here Sereno D. Nickerson, now Recording Grand Secretary, who thirty years ago as Most Worshipful Grand Master dedicated the Masonic Hall in this city and instituted Greylock Lodge.

The first part of the evening was spent in Masonic Hall during which time the Fellowcraft degree was worked on two candidates. At 10 p.m. the party adjourned to the Darrow Hotel and sat down to a banquet with Bro. Nathan B. Flood acting as Toastmaster for the evening, who presided very gracefully introducing the Grand Officers. The addresses were all bright and entertaining while some of them were of exceptional interest to the Masons gathered there. In this, as in every other part of the evening, the affair was a complete success.

January 13, 1903. Voted that Greylock Lodge approve and ratify the action taken at a meeting of the Masonic Fraternity and hereby instruct, impower, and authorize its Trustees to join with the remaining Boards of Trustees in doing whatever is necessary to carry out the vote of said meeting. The following is a copy of the record of said meeting:

At a meeting of the Masonic Fraternity held at Masonic Hall, North Adams, January 6, 1903, on call of the Trustees of Masonic Hall, for the purpose of considering the leasing of rooms in the "New Kimball" it was unanimously voted: That the proposition from the owner of the New Kimball block to lease the rooms as per plans submitted for the annual rental of eleven hundred dollars be accepted subject to the satisfaction of the Masonic bodies.

On April 19, 1904, the new Masonic rooms in the "New Kimball" block were dedicated with ceremonies usual to such occasions, the event being largely attended, there being present delegations of Masons from all parts of Berkshire County.

The rooms were dedicated by M. Wor. Grand Master Baalis Sanford, of Brockton, assisted by R. Wor. Deputy Grand Master Wm. H. Emerson, of Brockton; R. Wor. Senior Grand Warden Forrest E. Barker, R. Wor. Junior Grand Warden Albro A. Osgood, R. Wor. Recording Grand Secretary Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Chaplain Wor. Henry G. Fay, Grand Marshal Wor. Frank W. Mead, Senior Grand Deacon Wor. George E. Fenn, Junior Grand Deacon Wor. Louis C. Southard, and Grand Tyler Bro. Geo. W. Chester.

The ceremonies were of much interest throughout and the visiting Masons who had not seen the rooms before were greatly pleased with the spacious and well appointed quarters.

At six o 'clock a banquet was served in Grand Army Hall by the Woman's Relief Corps. In the evening a social was held for the Masons and their families. After the musical entertainment an address of welcome was given by Past Master A. W. Fulton of Lafayette Lodge, an address by M.W.G.M. Baalis Sanford, an address by Major F. D. Stafford, an address by R.G. Secretary Sereno D. Nickerson, and a historical address by Past Master Hobart C. Tower.

The North Adams Transcript of April 20, 1904, states that "There has been no time in the history of fraternal and secret orders of this city or indeed in this section of the state marked by such widespread and general interest as was the occasion of the dedicatory exercises in connection with the formal opening of the new quarters of the Masonic fraternity in the 'Kimball Block' on Main Street.

"In addition to those exercises held in the afternoon, which were open only to members of the order, the reception and general exercises in the evening were the occasion for the gathering of a most representative body of the residents of this city and from neighboring cities and towns."

On the morning of December 23, 1920, Greylock Lodge and Masonry in general, lost by death one who by his example of the upright man was an inspiration to all with whom he came in contact. R.W. Brother Geo. French, Chaplain of Greylock Lodge for thirty-four years, received the Masonic degrees in Evening Star Lodge, of Lee, Massachusetts, in 1859. Soon after taking the degrees he moved to Hamilton, N.Y., and on June 19, 1861, affiliated with Hamilton Lodge No. 120. He was Master of Hamilton Lodge in 1864 and 1865. November 18, 1885, he dimitted from Hamilton Lodge and on January 12, 1886, joined Greylock Lodge where he was a member until his decease December 23, 1920. R.W. Bro. French was District Deputy Grand Master for the Fourteenth Masonic District in 1887, 1888, and 1889. He was a member of St. Paul's Commandery, K.T., of North Adams, serving as Prelate nearly twenty years.

It can be truly said of Bro. French that he enjoyed the happy reflections consequent on a well spent life and died in the hope of a glorious immortality. A true man. a Christian gentleman, his face reflecting clean living and clean thoughts, his charge to the candidates of Greylock Lodge left a lasting impression of the high ideals of our order.

While on his way to his office the summons came and the spirit departed to its long home and thus ended his days among us in mortal form, leaving us the memory of his virtues as worthy of our words of commendation and of our personal imitation.

Greylock Lodge has been honored by having two of its members elected to Congress and serving with much credit, Ashley B. Wright and Geo. P. Lawrence.

The Grand Lodge has honored Greylock Lodge by appointing five of our members as District Deputy Grand Masters. Ashley B. Wright, 1886; Geo. French, 1887, 1888, and 1889; Hobart C. Tower, 1901 and 1902; Geo. F. Miller, 1909 and 1910; and our present District Deputy Grand Master, Jos. L. Malcolm, 1921 and 1922. The members of Greylock Lodge have been prominent in the social, political, and business affairs of our city. Ashley B. Wright, our first Master, was followed successively by Jasper H. Adams, L. C. Rand, Jas. E. Hunter, and H. D. Ward, all men who were not only active in Masonry but in the business, political, and church life of our community.

Wor. Bro. Adams and Bro. Hunter served as Selectmen of the town. Bro. Adams built the brick block on Main street which bears his name, conducting a large furniture and undertaking business which was very successful. Bro. Adams was the father-in-law of Right Worshipful Brother Geo. F. Miller, one of our three surviving charter members.

Deacon Hunter was head of the Hunter Machine Company and was representative and helpful in everything pertaining to the best interests of the community. His son and grandson are present members of Greylock Lodge.

Our present membership is made up of men identified with the successful business interests of our city, also with the political and church life of our community.

There were fifteen charter members of Greylock Lodge, Jasper H. Adams, Geo. M. Darby, Ashley B. Wright, Albert M. Tinker, Lucius C. Band, Samuel Keyes, H. W. N. Cole, J as. E. Hunter, Geo. Davis, John A. Rice, Frank H. Goodrich, John Parkhill, Geo. L. Rice, Thos. S. Sherwin, Geo. F. Miller, and J. H. Wright. Of these men three are now living: Geo. F. Miller, John A. Rice, and Geo. M. Darby.

The names of the Masters who have served Greylock Lodge for the past fifty years are familiar to all of you as they appear on our monthly calendar.

Due to the neat and orderly records kept by the secretaries of Greylock Lodge, the work of your historian has been greatly facilitated.

The following brothers have served Greylock Lodge as Secretary: H. W. N. Cole, Geo. F. Miller, D. J. Barber, Geo. H. Patrick, A. J. Witherell, B. T. Cobb, R. H. Sykes, Alex Craswell, D. A. Russell, J. B. Temple, Eugene Fran-chere, Jos. L. Malcolm, D. J. Ensign, and our present secretary, Douglas W. Hyde.

In the days past it was customary for the Brethren to take charge at the funeral services, as attested by the many special communications held for that purpose.

These events of sadness your historian has passed over with this reference; that we cherish the memory of those who assembled here before us, who by their deeds made it possible for this celebration tonight, whose sterling character and Christian virtues remain on perpetual record as evidenced by the resolutions adopted and spread on our records. May God grant us strength of purpose to follow their example.

Tonight we are assembled here for the purpose, as part of our anniversary celebration of depositing in our "Anniversary Stone" the records of our past achievements; the opening to be closed for another fifty years to be opened at the celebration of our one hundredth anniversary.

As I look around this room this thought causes deep reflection. A few just entering the sunny period of life will witness this event. But alas, how few! To the majority of us will come the reflection that ere that event takes place we shall have been cut down by the all devouring scythe of time and gathered into the land where our fathers have gone before.

Let us therefore

"So live that, - when thy summons comes to join
The innumerable caravan, where each shall take <br His chamber in the silent hall of death,
Thou go not, like the quarry slave at night
Scourged to his dungeon, but sustained and soothed
By an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave
Like one who wraps the drapery of his couch
About him and lies down to pleasant dreams."

CENTENARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1971

From Proceedings, Page 1971-440:

By Worshipful William M. Allison.

The first regular meeting of Greylock Lodge under dispensation of the Grand Lodge, granted September 10, 1871, was held October 10th. Fifty years later our Master was Wor. John P. Miller, who is still alive and in the Masonic Home in Charlton. We wish him many more years as a member of Greylock Lodge.

Our fiftieth anniversary was celebrated November 13, 1922 at the conclusion of 50 years of activity ably covered by Wor. Charles A. Williamson, our Master in 1922. The account of the anniversary and the history were published in Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts for 1922. (1922 Mass. 367-381) The ceremonies were attended by many Grand Officers and were highlighted by placing in the Lodge a stone from the summit of Mount Greylock obtained by Bro. Percy F. Kittredge and others. The stone contains the 1922 By-Laws, list of charter members, the 1922 membership, the history, messages from Grand Lodge Officers to the District Deputy Grand Master of the 15th Masonic District for 1972 and from the 1922 officers of Greylock Lodge to the officers of 1972, a copy of the North Adams Transcript of November 11, 1922 and photographs. Fifty years ago the Lodge met at the Masonic Hall in the new Kimball Building on Main Street. In 1928 the Lodge gave $3000 to the Masonic Association which bought the A. C. Houghton property at 172 Church Street.

The present Temple was dedicated April 5, 1929 when Wor. Robert A. Fairbanks was Master. The Grand Master and other Grand Lodge Officers officiated as recorded in the Proceedings of the Grand Lodge for 1929. (1929 Mass. 66-69) Our membership fifty years ago was 3S0. This number varied only slightly until the mid thirties dropping gradually to 223 during World War II. Membership recovered to 255 in 1955 but has decreased slightly with changes in economic conditions and population.

Greylock Lodge Officers have exchanged exemplifications of work with many local and out-of-state Lodges during the period since 1921.

Social activities include a Mock Court Trial, several Minstrel Shows, many Card Tournaments, Ping Pong Tournaments (but not with the Chinese), Lectures, Ladies' Nights, many Dances, Balls and Parties, Carnivals, P'ield Days, Clam Bakes, Picnics, Dinners honoring distinguished members and Past Master's Nights.

On several occasions work was exemplified by degree teams from the Boston and Maine Railroad Masonic Club, the various Shrine organizations and out-of-state Lodges and degree teams.

Greylock Lodge has been honored by elevation to District Deputy Grand Master in this period: Rt. Wor. Ralph E. Ballou, Rt. Wor. Frederick Eldridge, Rt. Wor. Harry A. Messier, Rt. Wor. James A. McLaren, and Rt. Wor. Harry E. Nelson.

Our faithful Secretaries have been: Bro. Douglas W. Hyde, Rt. Wor. Ralph E. Ballou, Wor. Robert A. Fairbanks, Wor. Lafayette H. Sprague, Jr., Rt. Wor. Harry S. Nelson, and Wor. George H. Fessenden.

May the next 100 years be as productive for Greylock and as rewarding as our first.

OTHER

  • 1895 (Participation in Centennial of Evening Star Lodge, 1895-80)
  • 1896 (Participation in Centennial of Cincinnatus Lodge, 1896-167)
  • 1906 (Jurisdictional ruling, 1906-60)
  • 1936 (Reduction in fees approved, 1936-248)
  • 1940 (Reduction in fees approved, 1940-196)

EVENTS

CONSTITUTION AND HALL DEDICATION, OCTOBER 1872

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXXI, No. 12, October 1872, Page 378:

WilsonHouseNAdams.jpg
The Wilson House, North Adams

Greylock Lodge, at No. Adams, Mass., was constituted by the M. W. Grand Lodge, on the 1st of Oct. inst.

The new hall was first dedicated, the Lodge was then constituted, and at a later hour in the evening the Officers were publicly installed in the presence of a large number of the brethren and their ladies, At the conclusion of these ceremonies, the company repaired to the "Wilson House," where the tables were spread for supper. The Lodge has been working for about a year and a half, under Dispensation, during which time it has been so highly prospered that it has been enabled to erect for its future accommodation, a neat and convenient hall with the necessary apartments. It is composed mainly of young and enterprising brethren, under whose careful management its future prosperity will undoubtedly be secured.

The Grand Lodge was received with great cordiality and kindness hy the brethren, and on the following morning were token in carriages and escorted to the westerly end of the Hoosac Tunnel, where every attention was shown them, and such explanations given of the practical operations of that great work, as they desired or as it was thought would be of interest to them. They were also favored with a visit to the large shoe manufactory of Bro. Sampson where they were introduced into the apartments occupied by the Chinese laborers, about forty of whom are employed in the establishment. The visit was one of peculiar interest to the visitors, and we believe they all elt that the success of this singular experiment is fully secured. We understand that Mr. Sampson has made arrangements for a large increase of this class of laborers from California.

The Officers of the Lodge are as follows: —

  • Ashley B. Wright, W. M.
  • J. K. Adams, S. W.
  • Arthur M. Tinker, J. W.

PAST MASTERS' NIGHT, JANUARY 1920

From New England Craftsman, Vol. XV, No. 5, February 1920, Page 155:

The Master Mason degree was worked on two candidates Jan. 27 at the regular meeting of Greylock lodge, A. F. and A. M. of North Adams, Mass. The work was performed by the past masters of the lodge, those taking part being Wor. James O'Halloran, Wor. Robert R. Costine, Rt. Wor. George F. Miller, Rt. Wor. George French, Wor. Fred W. Reed, Wor. N. B. Flood, Wor. Cornelius Wylde, Wor. Albert H. Spencer, Wor. Everett Worthy, Wor. Dwlght White and Wor. William E. Lamb.

At the close of the degree work, Rt. Wor. George Miller was presented with a Henry Price 50-year medal, by Rt. Wor. George French, who acted in behalf of the grand lodge. This medal is given in recognition of 50 years' faithful service in the lodge. Wor. Bro. N. B. Flood then presented Mr. Miller with a banquet of 50 carnations, one flower for each year of service. Bro. Miller has been through the chairs during his membership in the lodge, and has at various times filled the different offices in a capable manner. The 135 guests then adjourned to the banquet hall where luncheon was served by the ladies of the Eastern Star. A fine musical program was given during the evening by the Blackinton glee club and Fred Reagan. A splendid address was also given by Supt. B. J. Merriam on "The Spirit in America." Bro. Merriam, in his address, brought out several good points which are worthy of mention. The first was the fact that the people today need to have greater faith in American institutions, which are the foundation of the new era. Physical America was discovered hundreds of years ago, but the new America has only recently been discovered. The present unrest should not alarm the people greatly, as it is only the natural result of the war, and the beginning of the new America, with the new spirit of bigness predominating.

Bro. Miller is past master of Greylock Lodge; past H. P. of Composite Chapter R. A. M.; past commander of St. Paul Commandery K. T., is also charter member of above organizations and has held the office of D. D. Grand Master and D. D. Grand High Priest. He spent about 45 years in active service in the several Masonic bodies, was the first secretary in the above organizations, and has held important offices in the several bodies.


GRAND LODGE OFFICERS


DISTRICTS

1871: District 9 (Pittsfield)

1883: District 14 (North Adams)

1911: District 15 (North Adams)

1927: District 15 (North Adams)


LINKS

Massachusetts Lodges