AncientYork

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search

ANCIENT YORK LODGE

Location: Lowell

Chartered By: George M. Randall

Charter Date: 06/08/1853 V-461

Precedence Date: 06/09/1852

Current Status: Active


PAST MASTERS

  • Jefferson Bancroft, 1852
  • Samuel K. Hutchinson, 1853
  • Joel Spaulding, 1854 GW
  • William Sewall Gardner, 1855, 1856
  • Augustus A. Putnam, 1857
  • Charles C. Hutchinson, 1857
  • William F. Salmon, 1858-1860
  • George W. Bedlow, 1861, 1862
  • Josiah E. Short Jr., 1863, 1864
  • Sagar Ashworth, 1865
  • Henry P. Perkins, 1866-1869; SN
  • Albert A. Haggart, 1870, 1871
  • Nathaniel C. Sanborn, 1872, 1873; SN
  • Lucian P. Stacy, 1874, 1875
  • Arthur G. Pollard, 1876, 1877
  • Hamilton Burrage, 1878, 1879
  • Charles Runels, 1880, 1881
  • Nathan C. Lamson, 1882, 1883
  • Richard H. Chamberlain, 1884, 1885
  • William A. Favor, 1886, 1887
  • Arthur F. Salmon, 1888, 1889
  • Frederick W Farnham, 1890, 1891; Mem
  • Charles H. Gould, 1892, 1893
  • Frederick T. Walsh, 1894, 1895
  • Wallace A. Corey, 1896
  • Charles M. Stevens, 1897, 1898
  • Arthur J. French, 1899, 1900
  • Henry M. Currier, 1901, 1902
  • Newell F. Putnam, 1903, 1904
  • Herbert E. Fletcher, 1905, 1906; N
  • Harry G. Pollard, 1907, 1908
  • Charles T. Cahill, 1909, 1910
  • Dexter G. Morrill, 1911, 1912
  • Harry H. Sumner, 1913, 1914
  • Charles H. Clogston, 1915, 1916
  • Harry A. Smith, 1917, 1918
  • George W. Randall, 1919, 1920
  • Milo G. Robbins, 1921, 1922
  • Albert L. Ludwig, 1923, 1924
  • Harold H. Fletcher, 1925
  • Arthur F. Dyer, 1926, 1927
  • John H. Preston, 1928, 1929
  • Raymond F. Nichols, 1930, 1931
  • Chester M. Runels, 1932, 1933
  • James A. Grant, 1934, 1935
  • Chester O. Linquist, 1936, 1937
  • Percy B. S. Silk, 1938, 1939; N
  • Leonard L. French, 1940, 1941
  • Charles B. Brigham, 1942, 1943
  • Thomas Davidson, 1944, 1945
  • Morris E. Nelson, 1946
  • Stanley Rushton, 1947, 1948
  • Phillip E. Colburn Sr., 1949, 1950
  • William G. Chapman, 1951
  • Howard Lawson, 1952, 1953, 1980; SN
  • William H. Ramsay, 1954, 1955
  • George A. Sanborn, 1956, 1957
  • Phillip E. Colburn, Jr., 1958, 1959
  • Horace W. Duxbury, 1960, 1961
  • Charles Roderson, 1962, 1963
  • Morris R. Crocker, 1964, 1965
  • Earl R. Duxbury, 1966, 1967
  • Olak A. Myhr, 1968
  • David B. Foreman 1969
  • Frank D. Parker, 1970, 1971
  • Herbert L. Schofield, 1972, 1973
  • James F. Whittet, 1974, 1975
  • Randolph P. Morse, Jr., 1976
  • Theodore Savoley, 1977, 1978
  • Charles A. O’Wril, Jr., 1979, 1980
  • Timothy H. George, 1981, 1982
  • Amasa W. Brown, Jr., 1983, 1984, 2004; PDDGM
  • Howard G. Hunting, 1985, 1986
  • Richard L. Roy, 1987, 1988
  • Robert L. Brown, II, 1989, 1990
  • William A. Sawers Jr., 1991, 1992
  • Roger E. Brown, 1993, 1994
  • Daniel A. Lamson, 1995, 1996
  • Stephen G. Eriksen, 1997-1999
  • Barry W. Patterson, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2008-2012
  • Richard J. Landry, 2002
  • Archibald H. Campbell, 2005, 2006; PDDGM
  • James P. Burke, Jr., 2007, 2008

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1852
  • Petition for Charter: 1853

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1873 (20th Anniversary)
  • 1927 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1952 (Centenary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1872 1876 1877 1878 1886 1900 1912 1920 1922 1925 1929 1931 1933 1938 1956 1957 1973 1982 1991 2000 2012 2013

HISTORY

  • 1927 (75th Anniversary History, 1927-149; see below)
  • 1952 (Centenary History, 1952-155; see below)

75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, JUNE 1927

From Proceedings, Page 1927-149:

By Wor. Milo G. Robbins.

The York Rite, which comprehends four fifths of the Masons of the habitable globe, is the basis of all Rites that claim Masonic character. It derives Its name from the City of York, in the north of England, where according to Masonic tradition the Annual and General Assemblies of Masons were re-established, A.D. 926, and from which the first Grand Lodge was formed Prince Edwin, the brother of King Athelstan, who loved and encouraged the Masons. Masons who are descendants of this branch of the Fraternity are known under the title of "Ancient York Masons."

Tlic Masonic prestige enjoyed by Lowell was animated by the firm foundation laid by Pentucket Lodge in 1807, nineteen years before the town was incorporated. The continued increase of Pentucket Lodge in members and influence made it apparent, by 1851, that another Lodge should be established in this growing and thriving city; so Pentucket Lodge gave her cordial consent to twenty-one of her members to petition for a new Lodge.

As a name was necessary to bring the petition to the attention of the Grand Lodge, "Ancient York," which had come to typify true Symbolic Masonry, was selected. In response to this petition, Grand Master George M. Randall reported June 9, 1852, that a Dispensation had been granted for the organizing of a Lodge at Lowell under the name of Ancient York.

The Lodge has considered it desirable and fitting to render tonight a brief account of our stewardship of the name and the confidence bestowed on as by the Grand Lodge seventy-five years ago. The first meeting under Dispensation was at Wentworth Hall, June 16, 1852, with Jefferson Bancroft, W. M.. Peter Lawson, S. W., and Samuel K. Hutchinson, J. W.

On June 30, the Lodge received her first petitions for degrees, four in number, one of which was from William Sewall Gardner, who seventeen years later was to become Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts. During the period of Dispensation the Lodge made forty-one members. On June 8, 1853, the Master and Wardens returned their Dispensation and presented their records and by-laws for examination, together with a petition for a Charter, which was granted June 9, 1853, to take precedence from June 9, 1852.

At ten o'clock on the morning of July 10, 1853, Ancient York was Consecrated in Mason's Hall by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge in the presence of the Companions and officers of Mt. Horeb R. A. chapter and of the Brethren and officers of Pentucket Lodge, and its officers were installed into office, The friendly rivalry which existed between the Mother Lodge and Ancient York was a spur for the new Lodge which soon became known as a working Lodge.

On Oct. 27, 1854, the officers and members of the Lodges of the third district, Grand Master Randall with members of the Grand Lodge, and prominent Boston Masons, witnessed the exemplification of the third degree, and commented that for exactness and effectiveness as a whole they had never seen the work surpassed. In this year. also, Charles C. Hutchinson, later to be our second Grand Master from this Lodge, was made a member of the Lodge.

Ancient York participated in the ceremonies of the laying of the corner-stone of St. John's Episcopal Church by the Grand Lodge April 15, 1861. On June 9th, 1862, ten years of service was celebrated by a Past Master's night exemplifying the third degree. The year 1864 is noteworthy for the admission of Arthur G. Pollard as a member of this Lodge. Rt. Wor. Bro. Pollard is often called 
the Dean of Masons in Lowell: and he is the pioneer of 
three generations of Masons of that name who are represented here to-night. An invitation tobe present at the laying of the corner-stone of Masonic Temple in Boston on Sept. 4th of this year was accepted and our membership joined with Pentucket in that event.

On June 17, 1865, we participated in the largest public Masonic display in the city of Lowell, when the Grand Lodge dedicated and consecrated the monument erected to the memory of Ladd and Whitney, the first who fell in the War of the Rebellion. In this year, also, the Lodge provided a sodality room, which was used as a lecture room for its initiates and as a reading room for its members.

The stimulus created for Masonry, due in part to the activity of Ancient York Lodge, made the proposal for 
Kilwinning Lodge, in 1866, pertinent. Ancient York contributed her consent, twelve charter members, the Lodge's first Master, and the use of our jewels and regalia during the Dispensation of this new Lodge. On June 24, 1867, we attended the dedication of Masonic Temple, in Boston, with sixty members present. Again in 1868 our consent for Dispensation of William North Lodge was cheerfully given and our membership supplied nine of the thirty-two Charter members. The Lodge, which had occupied Masonic Hull in Nesmith's Block for nineteen years, removed with the other Masonic bodies, in 1872, to Masonic Temple on Merrimack St., which was our home until a little over a year ago.

On June 9, 1873, the twentieth anniversary of the receiving of the Charter of Ancient York Lodge, was celebrated by a Past Master's night with the M. W. Grand Master present. The third degree was exemplified, after which the lodge repaired to the banquet hull, where the 
injunction "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it
 with thy might," was punctually obeyed, An anniversary 
ode was sung. speeches by prominent Masons listened to, and the meeting closed with the singing of "Auld Lang 
Syne." In this year, also, Brother Alfred Livingstone
 presented the Lodge with the Three Great Lights and
Master's Gavel, together with the working tools of the 
three symbolic degrees. The Master's Gavel alone with
stood the destructive force of fire and is still in use.

A portrait of Jefferson Bancroft, the first Master of Ancient York, was procured by the Lodge and hung in Hosford Hall, Jan. 11, 1878. This and the other portraits in this Hall were removed during the fire that destroyed the Temple and are among the few priceless possessions preserved to the fraternity. On April 8, 1891, during repairs to the Temple occasioned by fire in that year, Ancient York communicated in Thomas Talbot Lodge-room, Billeriea, and on May 14 and June 11 in Mechanics Hall, Lowell.

Ancient York Lodge received the conspicuous honor Dec. 9, 1896, of having its second member, Charles C. Hutchinson, elected Grand Master by the Grand Lodge. On Jan. 6, 1897, the Lodges convened specially to receive the Grand Master and Deputy Grand Master, R. W. Arthur G. Pollard, with all the honors of Masonry. A reception was held to our distinguished members from 8 to 9 o'clock P. M. Alter a banquet speeches by our talented Brothers completed a meeting long remembered by the Lodge. June 9, 1897, the forty-fifth anniversary of Ancient York, the corner-stone of the present Masonic Temple in Boston was laid by out eminent Brother, Grand Master Charles C. Hutchinson.

Fifty years of service of the working Lodge was celebrated June 9, 1902, with two of our three living Charter members present, After an invocation by the Chaplain and the reading of the Charter, addresses reminiscent of the earlier life of the Lodge and of changes in the Masonic Districts were given by M.W. Charles C. Hutchinson, R. W. Arthur G. Pollard, and R. W. Frederick W. Farnham and an anniversary ode was read, composed by W. Bro. Hamilton Burrage. In 1906 the Lodge contributed to the expense of furnishing a room in the Spalding House, as a memorial to the memory of Dr. Joel Spalding, one of our Charter members.

Ancient York was the fifth contributor of Masonic Lodges in the relief of the sufferers from the Chelsea fire in 1909. The Lodge dedicated a memorial window in the First Presbyterian church June 28, 1909, which had been donated by our membership in honor of the memory of Rev. Robert Court, a pastor of the church and for many years Chaplain of our Lodge. On April 15, 1911, Ancient York participated In the fiftieth anniversary of our first fraternal intercourse with the Grand Lodge, in the laying of the corner-stone of St. John's Church. On May 28, 1914, the lodge received a group picture of all its Charter members from Bro. C. Oliver Barnes.

The prestige of Ancient York was further enhanced in 1920 by electing M. W. Arthur D. Prince, then Grand Master, an honorary member of the Lodge. Again in 1921 we contributed nine Charter members to Wamesit Lodge. Tewksbury. Ancient York was among the first Lodges in 1923 to subscribe for the furnishing of a room in the Williams Addition of the Masonic Home at Charlton, Mass.

After the disastrous fire in May, 1926, which left the fraternity without a home, we communicated at Wamesit 
Lodge, Tewksbury, June 8 and 22, and at Thomas Talbot
 Lodge, Billerica. June 10, since which dates our Masonic
 Home has been in this church.

This afternoon the exemplification of the third degree on the third generation of the Pollard family, Arthur G. Pollard 2nd, conducted by his father and raised by his grandfather was so unique in Masonic annals as to bring together the most distinguished gathering of Masons that this Lodge has ever had the pleasure to welcome.

The Masonic lives of our members embrace almost every legitimate avenue of human endeavor with results creditable to the fraternity. Our contribution of seven Mayors and numerous lesser officials has been no small factor in the development of our city, but our influence has gone further, for it embraces a Lieutenant Governor, Justice of the Supreme Court of Massachusetts, Judge of Probate of Middlesex County, Secretary of the Treasury of the United States, and a Chief Justice of Court Of Claims at Washington.

In the defense of our country our members have been ever loyal and ready at the call of duty. In the War of the Rebellion our record is thirty-one officers from a General down, and nineteen privates. In the World War, although our roll call of members may be no larger and their motives no nobler than that of our sister Lodges. yet we alone know the pride and sorrow of a Gold Star Mother. It would seem that our labors for Masonry have in no way lessened the dignity and Masonic prestige that "Ancient York" stands for.

That we have justified the confidence of the Grand Lodge needs no more conclusive proof than the following record shows:

  • 2 Grand Masters,
  • 3 Deputy Grand Masters,
  • 4 Grand Wardens,
  • 7 D. D. Grand Masters.

That confidence has also been reflected in the so-called higher bodies as shown by our record which embraces 1 Grand Master of Templars of the United states, 3 Grand Commanders, 1 General Grand High Priest of the United States, 2 Grand High Priests of Mass., with lesser officers too numerous to mention.

If this account were final our names would be secure, but further accounting will be required of us. That the splendid record of the past may not suffer by that of the present and future—

"Let each Brother learn to know himself:
To gain that knowledge let him labor,
Improve those failings in himself
Which he condemns so in his neighbor.

How lenient our own faults we view
And conscience's voice adeptly smother,
And, oh, how harshly we review
Those selfsame failings in another.

If you should meet an erring one
Whose deeds are blamable or thoughtless,
Consider ere you cast the stone
If you yourself be pure and faultless.

List to that small voice within,
Whom whisperings oft make men confounded
And herald not another's sin –
You'd blush deep if your own were sounded.

If in self judgment you should find
That you to others are superior,
To you has Providence been kind,
As you should be to those inferior.

Example sheds a genial ray
On life, which men are opt in borrow;
So first improve yourself to-day
And then improve your friends to-morrow."

CENTENARY HISTORY, JUNE 1952

From Proceedings, Page 1952-155:

By Worshipful Leonard L. French

Ancient York Lodge was founded one hundred years ago today upon the precepts of brotherly love and affection. That trite statement of historical fact is fraught with the deep implications and fundamental truths that lead us to view with reverence and satisfaction a whole century of sound progress.

The growth of Ancient York Lodge is contemporary with the growth of the City of Lowell. It was in 1807, nineteen years before Lowell was instituted as a town and twenty-nine years before it was incorporated as a city, that the first Masonic Lodge was formed here. That was venerable Pentucket. As Lowell grew, so did the interest in Masonry grow, and as a natural consequence of this growth, in 1851 another Lodge was necessary.

To bring this about, some twenty-one members of Pentucket in that year petitioned the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts for permission to charter a new Lodge in Lowell. A name was necessary to bring this petition to the attention of Grand Lodge in due form and "Ancient York" was selected. Ancient York takes its name from the city of York in the north of England, where, tradition tells us, the annual and general assemblies of Masons were re-established in the year 926 A.D., and from which stemmed the first Grand Lodge, founded by Prince Edward, brother of King Athelstan.

The Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts in 1851 was George M. Randall, who, on June 9, 1852, issued a dispensation for the organization of a new Lodge at Lowell under the name of Ancient York. That gave us birth.

The first meeting under this dispensation was held in Wentworth Hall on June 16,1852, with Jefferson Bancroft as Worshipful Master, Peter Lawson as Senior Warden and Samuel K. Hutchinson as Junior Warden. On June 30 of that year, the Lodge received four petitions for the degrees, one of which was from William Sewall Gardner, who seventeen years later was to become Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts.

During its first year, Ancient York Lodge received, passed and raised forty-one new members. On June 8, 1853, the Lodge returned its dispensation to Grand Lodge and presented its records and by-laws for examination, together with a formal petition for a charter. This was granted on June 9, retroactive to June 9, 1852.

Most epochal in the history of our Lodge was the service of consecration held at 10:00 a.m. on July 10, 1853, and presided over by the Most Worshipful Grand Master in the presence of officers and members of Pentucket Lodge and companions of Mount Horeb Royal Arch Chapter.

In the years to follow there occurred many events that contributed to the steady growth and prestige of our Lodge.

In 1854 Charles C. Hutchinson, who later was to become the second Most Worshipful Grand Master from Ancient York, was made a member of the Lodge. On April 15, 1861, Ancient York participated in the ceremony of the laying of the corner stone of St. John's Episcopal Church on Gorham Street. On June 9 of the next year, Ancient York marked its tenth anniversary with a Past Masters' Night. The year 1864 was noteworthy for the admission to membership of Arthur Gayton Pollard. Later to become a Right Worshipful Brother, he was often referred to as the Dean of Lowell Masons. On September 4 of that same year, Ancient York Lodge had a part in the laying of the corner stone of the Masonic Temple in Boston.

LaddWhitneyMemorial.jpg
Ladd and Whitney Memorial

On June 17, 1865, our Lodge participated in one of the most elaborate and significant Masonic displays in the history of the city, when the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts dedicated and consecrated the monument erected to the memory of Luther Ladd and Addison Whitney, first to fall in the War of the Rebellion when the old Sixth Massachusetts regiment was passing through Baltimore on the way to Washington.

Through these years, Ancient York Lodge had played a major role in arousing Masonic interest hereabouts and it was natural, therefore, that the proposal to form Kilwinning Lodge should be made in 1866. Ancient York gave her consent, along with Pentucket Lodge, and in addition to furnishing twelve charter members, we contributed the new Lodge's first Worshipful Master and the use of our jewels and regalia during the period of dispensation.

On June 24, 1867, sixty of our members attended the dedication of the Boston Temple. Again, this time in 1868, our consent for a dispensation to William North Lodge was cheerfully given, and from our membership were drawn nine of its thirty-two charter members.

In 1872 all Masonic bodies in the city moved from the Nesmith Block to the Temple on Merrimack Street, quarters that we were to occupy until the disastrous Pollard fire of 1926. On June 9 of 1872 Ancient York observed its twentieth anniversary with a Past Masters' Night, marked by the presence of the Most Worshipful Grand Master and an exemplification of the third degree. At this convocation, Brother Alfred Livingston presented the Lodge with the Three Great Lights and a Master's gavel. It is significant to note that this gavel, still in use, withstood the fire of twenty-six years ago. A portrait of Jefferson Bancroft, first Master of Ancient York Lodge, was procured by the Lodge in 1878 and was hung in Hosford Hall. This and other portraits, now hung in our apartments, are among the priceless possessions preserved to the Fraternity.

Honors continued to come to Ancient York Lodge, and in 1896, one of our most distinguished members, Brother Charles C. Hutchinson, was elected Most Worshipful Grand Master. On January 6 of the following year, the Lodge convened especially to receive the Grand Master, as well as the Right Worshipful District Deputy Grand Master, Arthur G. Pollard. In June of the following year, Grand Master Hutchinson laid the corner stone of the present Masonic Temple in Boston.

A half century of life and progress was reached by Ancient York Lodge in 1902, when, on June 9, we celebrated our fiftieth anniversary. That was indeed a landmark in memory and the occasion featured addresses by M. W. Charles C. Hutchinson, R.W. Arthur G. Pollard and R.W. Frederic W. Farnham. Two of our three living charter members were present, and an anniversary ode was composed and read by Worshipful Hamilton Burrage.

Between the years 1906 and 1909, the Lodge contributed to the expense of furnishing a room in the Spalding House as a memorial to Dr. Joel Spalding, one of our charter members; we contributed to the relief of victims of the great Chelsea fire, and dedicated a memorial window in the First Presbyterian Church, given by one of our members in memory of the Rev. Dr. Robert Court, pastor of that church and a Chaplain of Ancient York Lodge for a long span of years.

In 1920 the Lodge elected Most Worshipful Arthur Dow Prince, then Grand Master, to honorary membership. In 1921 the Lodge contributed nine charter members to the formation of Wamesit Lodge in Tewksbury, and in 1923, Ancient York continued its good works by subscribing generously to the furnishing of a room in the Williams addition to the Masonic Home in Charlton.

Along with all other Masonic bodies in Lowell, Ancient York suffered a stunning blow when fire swept the Merrimack Street apartments in 1926. Freemasonry, notwithstanding, continued to survive and communications were held in June in the apartments of Wamesit and Thomas Talbot Lodges. For the next three years, all meetings were held in the First Universalist Church, then located on Hurd Street.

Our seventy-fifth anniversary fell on June 9, 1927, and the observance was marked by the presence of many distinguished Masons and honored guests, headed by Most Worshipful Grand Master Frank L. Simpson. Others on his suite were: M. W. Melvin M. Johnson, M. W. Leon M. Abbott, M. W. Arthur D. Prince, M. W. [http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMFerrell Dudley H. Ferrell, the Grand Secretary, Grand Treasurer and many other Grand Lodge officers. M. W. Brother Simpson presided over the Lodge and expressed his pleasure at being able to welcome all of the presiding heads of the York Rite bodies in Massachusetts, as well as M. W. Leon W. Abbott, head of the Supreme Council of Sovereign Grand Inspectors General of the 33rd and last degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry for the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction of the United States of America.

At the anniversary dinner, Wor. Arthur E. Dyar, Presiding Master of Ancient York Lodge, presented R. W. Herbert E. Fletcher as the toastmaster of the evening. Wor. Milo G. Robbins delivered a history of the Lodge and speakers included M. W. Leon W. Abbott, M. W. Dudley H. Ferrell, M. E. Com. Samuel F. Hubbard and R. W. Frederick W. Hamilton. The membership of Ancient York Lodge at that time stood at 704.

In 1927, Bro. C. Oliver Barnes presented to the Lodge portraits of our charter members.

It fell to the lot of our present Secretary, Wor. Arthur E. Dyar, to preside over Ancient York Lodge during the construction period of our present temple. To him, perhaps more than to any other single Brother, belongs the credit for safely guiding the craft over the tempestuous seas of trouble during these transition years and of mooring it safely in a peaceful harbor. All Masons were requested to pledge $100.00 each toward the building fund and Ancient York came through as usual in a very loyal and complimentary manner.

A red-letter day in the annals of Masonry in Lowell was September 8, 1928, when at never-to-be-forgotten ceremonies, the corner stone was laid for our beautiful Temple. Along with all other bodies, members of Ancient York Lodge marched in parade formation from the temporary quarters on Hurd Street to this location, where the impressive program was carried out under the personal direction of M.W. Grand Master Frank L. Simpson. Some 2300 Masonic Brethren were present and several Ancient York members, including M. W. Arthur D. Prince, R. W. Arthur G. Pollard, R. W. Harry G. Pollard and R.W. Herbert E. Fletcher, participated in the exercises.

In the corner stone that day were placed an American flag, Holy Bible, Square and Compasses, a stone fragment from the foundation wall of King Solomon's Temple at Jerusalem, a list of officers and members of Ancient York Lodge, a list of its charter members and photographs of many past officers and Brothers.

Before we enter the Masonic year in Lowell that is coincidental with the erection, furnishing and occupancy of the present temple, a number of worthy deeds and incidents should not pass without due notice in this chronology.

By a gift of money, we helped to establish the Lowell Chapter of DeMolay, and in 1927, we contributed generously to the relief of victims of the Mississippi floods.

On May 22, 1927, a special communication was held to attend funeral services for Bro. Franklin S. Pevey, organist of the Lodge from November 16, 1869, until the time of his death. This constituted a labor of love that should not go unmentioned.

I would like to note here that my father, Bro. Albert F. French, gave his services as our organist from October of 1927 to October of 1942. His, too, was an enviable record of service, as I cannot find a meeting date in all those years on which he was not in attendance. He later received the Joseph Warren Medal for Distinguished Masonic Service.

Another outstanding member of our Lodge, whose service was as bright as the morning, was Wor. Newell F. Putnam, Master from 1903 to 1905, and our Secretary for thirty-two years, in the span from 1914 to 1946. He, too, received the Joseph Warren Medal for Distinguished Masonic Service.

Ancient York Lodge has long stood as a proving ground for illustrious Masons. Up from our ranks have come fifty-four Masters of Ancient York Lodge, nine District Deputy Grand Masters, three Deputy Grand Masters, two Grand Masters of Masons in Massachusetts, one Grand Master of the State of Maine, sixteen High Priests of Mount Horeb Royal Arch Chapter, ten Illustrious Masters of Ahasuerus Council of Royal and Select Masters, ten Commanders of Pilgrim Commandery, three Grand High Priests of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Massachusetts, three Deputy Grand Masters of the Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters of Massachusetts, three Grand Commanders of the Grand Commandery of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, two Grand Masters of Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States, one Imperial Potentate of the Mystic Shrine, five Thrice Potent Masters Lowell Lodge of Perfection, five Sovereign Prince Masters Lowell Council Princes of Jerusalem, five Most Wise Masters Mount Calvary Chapter of Rose Croix, two Commanders-in-chief Massachusetts Consistory, one Master of the Thirty-second Lodge of Instruction and two Dads of DeMolay.

We may view this record with justifiable pride.

And now to become more pointedly personal, one of our members, R. W. Harry G. Pollard, has been the recipient of a great many Masonic honors. He has served as Worshipful Master of Ancient York Lodge, District Deputy Grand Master of the 12th District, Deputy Grand Master, High Priest of Mount Horeb Royal Arch Chapter, Deputy Grand High Priest, Grand High Priest, Grand Principal Conductor of the Work of the Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters, Commander of Pilgrim Commandery, Knights Templar, Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, Most Eminent Grand Master of the Grand Encampment, Knights Templar of U. S. A., head of Lowell Lodge of Perfection and of Mt. Calvary Chapter of Rose Croix, Illustrious Potentate of Aleppo Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He was made an honorary member of the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite in 1912 and now serves as the Grand Sword Bearer of the Council. He is a member of the Massachusetts College of Societatis Rosicrucianae, and is the only member of Ancient York to be elected to the Order of Red Cross of Constantine, He was a member of the building committee during the erection of this Temple and still serves as a member of the house committee. And to top it all off, he is an honorary member of sixteen Commanderies in the United States.

The first meeting of our Lodge in this temple was on October 8, 1929, at which time the temple was dedicated in full form and in accordance with all of the ancient forms and usages. Wor. John H. Preston presided and turned the gavel over to M. W. Herbert W. Dean, Grand Master, who attended with a distinguished suite.

It was at the October meeting in 1930 that Wor. Raymond E. Nichols was elected Master of Ancient York Lodge. This was on the fringe of a series of depression years, but through his untiring efforts, as well as those of Wor. Chester M. Runels, Wor. James A. Grant and Wor. Chester O. Lindquist, who followed him, the Lodge remained on an even keel and continued to grow in stature and in faith.

The Lodge held its first New Year's Eve party in 1937, an event that soon became an annual affair in Lowell Masonry. At the May communication in 1938 the Lodge by-laws were changed to place a prohibition on the future purchase of life memberships. This was just about the dying act of the depression era, and we look forward to the day when this privilege will be restored.

In 1939, under the direction of Wor. Percy B. S. Silk, a Lodge Service Committee was formed. Not only did it soon justify its existence and purpose, but infused new interest and life into the Lodge. Bro. Jason A. H. Johnson was its first secretary and a report given by him at the annual meeting in October of 1939 showed that 1538 personal calls, 118 sick calls and 756 telephone calls had been made by members of the committee. The future was tinged with a crimson glow in the field of service. Wor. Brother Silk also conceived the idea of forming a bowling league, which he organized. This league is still very active under the personal leadership of Wor. Philip E. Colburn, Sr., and Bro. Carl McCoy.

In 1940 the Grand Master honored Ancient York Lodge by his appointment of Wor. Percy B. S. Silk as District Deputy Grand Master for the Twelfth District.

There also was bestowed upon me in that year the supreme honor of being elected Worshipful Master of my Lodge. My period of service remains in memory as one of the greatest experiences of my life and always will I be conscious of a great debt of appreciation to all of my Brethren in Ancient York. It is of tremendous satisfaction to know that I was able to contribute in small part to the glorious history of our Lodge.

I know that high Masonic honors in themselves are but symbolic of the entire Craft, but I would enumerate again here the three members of Ancient York Lodge that rose to the height of Grand Master. William Sewall Gardner and Charles C. Hutchinson became Grand Masters of Masons in Massachusetts, while W. J. Burnham served as Grand Master of Masons in the State of Maine.

Through the years Ancient York has been a friendly and a neighborly Lodge. It has been profuse in its invitations to other Lodges to share in our meetings. Officers from many outside Lodges have filled our chairs. Degree teams that have honored us with their presence have come from the New England Tel. & Tel. Company, Major General Henry Knox Lodge, the Sylvania High Twelve Club, Grace Universalist Church, the Acacia Club of the Boston & Maine Railroad, the Raytheon Club, Freedom Lodge, the Sojourners Club and from other organizations.

Ancient York Lodge to this date has lived a full and purposeful life. Her roots are deep in the Masonic soil of this city. Our predecessors built wisely and well. They have passed along to us a golden heritage. May we so live and love that the future of our Lodge will be safe in the strong hands of those who will guide her destinies in the second century of her existence.

OTHER

  • 1938 (Reduction in fees authorized)

EVENTS

CONSECRATION OF LODGE, JULY 1853

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly Magazine, Vol. XII, No. 10, August 1853, p. 301:

This new Lodge, which has been working under Dispensation for a year past, was solemnly consecrated, and its officers installed, by the M.W. Grand Master, assisted by a delegation of the Grand officers, at Lowell, on Thursday, the 7th July. The day was one of the loveliest of the season, ad the ride to Lowell one of the pleasantest. On the arrival of the cars, the Brethren of the Grand Lodge were met by a committee, and conducted to the elegant and convenient Hall which has recently been fitted up for the accommodation of the Lodges and Chapter located in that city. The Brethren had made all their arrangements with so much completeness, that little remained for the officers of the Grand Lodge to do, but to proceed at once with the duties for which they were assembled. A procession was accordingly formed in an adjoining room, and proceeded forthwith to the main hall, where the solemn and impressive ceremonies of consecrations, were performed by the Grand Master, M.W. Rev. George M. Randall, in the presence, and as we believe, to the entire acceptance and gratification of he large number of Brethren assembled to witness and participate in them. The Master of the new Lodge was then duly installed by the Grand Master, after which the R.W. George G. Smith, acting Deputy Grand Master, installed the remainder of the officers; when, the usual proclamation having been made, the Grand Lodge retired, and the Lodge was closed.

MerrimackHouseLowell.jpg
Merrimack House, Lowell; originally built 1832, the premier hotel in Lowell
See description

At 2 o'clock, the Brethren of the Grand Lodge, at the invitation of the officers and members of the new Lodge, sat down to an elegant dinner, at the Merrimack House. It is due to the excellent host of that establishment, as well as to the liberality of the Brethren at whose order the dinner was served up, to say, that the tables were spread as bountifully, and with as much good taste and propriety, as would be expected at the first class hotels of this city, where private dinner-parties are of almost daily occurrence, and where the facilities for them are much greater. A couple of hours were very agreeably spent here. The Brethren from Boston were then politely taken into carriages, for the purpose of visiting the factories, and witnessing the growth and improvements of the city. This was by no means the least gratifying feature in the ceremonies of the day. The visit to the Carpet Factory was full of striking interest. It is worth a special ride to this beautiful and thriving city, to witness the ingenious and complicated machinery here in operation; though, we believe, strangers are not ordinarily admitted, without a permit from some person in authority.

At 5 o'clock, the members of the Grand Lodge took the cars for Boston, - feeling that they had spent an agreeable day, and that they had left the future interest of "Ancient York Lodge" in the hands of able and devoted Brethren. The officers of the new Lodge are as follows:

  • Jefferson Bancroft, W. M.
  • Peter Lawson, S.W.; SN
  • Samuel K. Hutchinson, J.W.
  • William Lampson, Jr., Treas.
  • Thomas G. Gerrish, Sec.
  • Isaac S. Morse, S.D.
  • David Goodwin Lang, J.D.
  • George W. Fletcher, Marshal
  • Joel Spalding, S.S.
  • Leonard Brown, J.S.
  • Isaac Hosmer, Tyler

VISIT BY GRAND MASTER, SEPTEMBER 1854

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly Magazine, Vol. XIV, No. 1, October 1854, Page 7:

The officers and members of Ancient York Lodge, at Lowell, entertained a large number of their Masonic Brethren of the Third District, in a very agreeable manner, on the evening of the 27th ultimo. We have rarely participated in a more pleasant occasion. The Masters and Wardens of the several Lodges in the District had been invited by their excellent and active Deputy Grand Master, Hon. Peter Lawson, of Dracut, to witness the working of the third degree by Ancient York Lodge, and we believe they were nearly all present. The M. W. Grand Master and a delegation from this city were also present, together with a very large attendance of the Brethren of Lowell, including many of the members of Pentucket Lodge of that city. The work of the Lodge was of the very highest order of excellence. As a whole, we have never seen it surpassed for exactness and effectiveness. Every officer knew his precise duty, and he did it, just as it always should be done, promptly and correctly. The whole proceedings commanded and received, as they eminently deserved, the entire approbation of all present. For ourself, we felt that "it was good to be there." W. Brother Samuel K. Hutchinson presided as Master of the Lodge, and he has much reason to be proud of his place and his officers.

The business of the Lodge being over, the Brethren, with their guests, were escorted to one of the elegant saloons of the city, where a bountiful repast had been tastefully served up for their refreshment. The R. W. Brother Lawson presided at the table, assisted by W. Br. Hutchinson. After supper, the Brethren were appropriately welcomed by Br. Lawson, who concluded his remarks with a pointed reference to the Grand Lodge of the State. This was replied to at some length by the M. W. Brother Randall, in his usual happy and able manner. The company was afterwards addressed by several other Brethren, among whom were Brothers Huntington, ex-Lt. Governor of the Commonwealth, Hon. Tappan Wentworth, M. C, and Hon. Linus Child. The occasion was one of peculiar interest, the healthful influence of which we cannot doubt will be long felt throughout the District.

INSTALLATION, NOVEMBER 1857

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly Magazine, Vol. XVII, No. 3, January 1858, Page 78:

The officers of this Lodge were installed in the presence of a large con gregation, on Wednesday evening, the 11th of November. The Masonic bodies of this city have recently refitted their Hall at great expense, and placed in it a new Organ, built expressly lor the Hall. The instrument was built by Brother Stevens, of East Cambridge, and is of great power, and of remarkable sweetness of tone. It was therefore thought proper by the members of this Lodge to invite their families to be present and witness the installation ceremonies. Accordingly on Wednesday evening the Hall was filled with the members and invited guests. The Lodge was opened i n one of the ante-rooms, Past Master William S. Gardner, Esq., presiding, Past Master Joel Spalding, on his right, Past Master Saml. K. Hutchinson, in the West, Past Master Jefferson Bancroft, in the South, and Br. Isaac C. Eastman as Marshal. A procession was formed and the Lodge marched into the Hall, where the officers took their proper positions. After prayer by the Chaplain, the choir, of which Br. C. Merrill is leader, sang a solemn chant. The officers were then installed into their respective stations by Past Master Gardner. After the Installation of the Master, the following verse was sung by the Choir : —

Support to the Master, that rules by the Square !
Let sons of the Light to the East now repair ;
With hearts for his aid, now united and free,
Obedient we labor, and kindly agree.
Chorus. — With hearts for his aid, &c.

And in like manner, after the installation respectively of the Wardens, were sung —

Support to the Warden installed in the West,
Who works by the Level, where sorrows may rest !
With hearts for bis aid, now united and free,
Obedient we labor, and kindly agree.
Chorus. — With hearts for his aid, &c.

Support to the Warden, by Plumb still upright,
Whose sun, in the South, never hides its fair light !
With hearts for his aid, now united and free,
Obedient we labor, and kindly agree.
Chorus. — With hearts for his aid, &c.

After the Installation services, the presiding Master addressed the Lodge and invited guests, in an eloquent and appropriate manner; after which the Marshal made proclamation of the organization of the Lodge. When the W. Master took his seat in the East, the Choir broke forth in that splendid ode —

When darkness veiled the hopes of man, Then light with radiant beams began, &c.

The W. Master then made some appropriate remarks and called up the R. W. Dist. Dep. G. Master for this District, Br. North, who replied in a happy manner, giving a brief history of the Order since his connection with it, embracing a period of nearly forty years. The W. Master then remarked, that we were honored with the presence of a distinguished Brother, who now adorned the bench, whose name was familiar to every citizen of this Commonwealth, and whose Masonic virtues were as boundless as his fame. He then called upon his honor Judge Henry W. Bishop, of Lenox. The Judge replied in a very happy speech. He alluded with much feeling to the universality of the Order, and remarked, that he was proud to be there to bear witness of his devotion to the principles of our Order.

The W. Master then called upon the Hon. Peter Lawson, late Dist. Deputy G. Master, but a severe cold prevented his speaking. The Rev. Br. Cushman, Chaplain of the Lodge, then made an address, marked with thought and feeling. Many of the audience were deeply affected at the picture he drew of a Brother in a foreign land — away from his friends, but surrounded by his Masonic Brethren, — who afforded every relief in their power, watched by his dying bed, and followed his inanimate remains to the resting place which a Brother had provided for them. At the conclusion of his remarks all united with the Choir in singing "Auld Lang Syne"; after which the closing prayer. A procession was then formed to conduct the officers to their room. A supper was furnished in the banquet room, connected with the Lodge-room, where a pleasant social hour was passed in the happy interchange of thought and sentiment.

Near midnight, the company dispersed, much pleased and delighted.

The following are the officers installed : — Brothers

  • C. C. Hutchinson, W. M. ;
  • W. F. Salmon, S. W.;
  • John Billings, J. W. ;
  • Wm. Lawson, Jr., Treas. ;
  • John A. Goodwin, Sec. ;
  • Robert H. Butcher, S. D. ;
  • S. D. Billings, J. D. ;
  • S. Totman, S. S. ;
  • L F. Scupture, J. S. ;
  • Rev. J. N. Cushman, Chap. ;
  • N. W. Norcross, Marshal ;
  • J. E. Sleat, I. Sen. ;
  • Saml. Young, O. ;
  • Waldo Fisher, Tyler.

10TH ANNIVERSARY, JUNE 1863

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly Magazine, Vol. XXII, No. 8, June 1863, Page 273:

The tenth anniversary of the establishment of Ancient York Lodge, at Lowell, by Charter, was celebrated on the 9th of June, 1863. At the time of its organization Masonry was just beginning to revive in Lowell. Pentucket Lodge, with R. W. William North as Master, had been working about six years after the restoration of its Charter, which was surrendered in 1832, when with many doubts and fears Ancient York was opened. The propriety of the step is now universally conceded.

On the occasion referred to, the Lodge was opened by W. George W. Bedlow, Master, after which the Past Masters of the Lodge were received with appropriate honors. The District Deputy Grand Master, with a suite composed of the Past Masters, Master and Wardens of Pentucket Lodge, was then received by the Lodge, to whom an "Ode of Welcome" was sung by the Brethren.

The Charter of the Lodge was spread upon an altar erected in front of the W. Master, upon which were placed three burning tapers, (E. W. S.) The work upon the third degree was performed by the Past Masters :— W. Jefferson Bancroft, the 1st Master, in the East — R. W. Samuel K. Hutchinson, 2d Master, in the West — R. W. Joel Spalding, M. D., 3d Master, in the South — W. C. C. Hutchinson, 5th Master, Sen. Deacon — W. William F. Salmon, 6th Master, Jr. Deacon.

The fact that the candidate was a son of the presiding Master, made the occasion one of deep interest. The work was done in a most thorough and effective manner, and to the many present who had received their first impressions of our Institution from the teachings of Bra. Bancroft, it revived pleasant memories, and his genial face in the East shed light and warmth into the heart of every Brother present.

Before closing, the following Ode, composed by a member of the Lodge, to the tone America, was sung:—

On England's favored shore,
At York, in time of yore,
Our fathers met.
One thousand years ago,
Did they the good seed sow,
The fruit from which shall flow
O'er nation's yet.

Though centuries have passed,
Since they did breathe their last,
They live to-day.
Received in the York Rite,
Here Masons hail the light,
As then, now shining bright
To cheer their way.

Let us of Ancient York,
While virtue's path we walk,
Cherish the old.
Tradition eager trace,
And let not time efface,
A tithe we would replace,
Of wisdom's gold.

Ten years are spent this day,
Since we sped on our way.
With chartered rights.
Faith in the God most kind,
Hope heavenly peace to find,
Charity to all mankind
Our guiding lights.

Supreme Grand Master,
we, Masons, accepted, free,
Our tribute raise,
Of thanks and praise to thee
For our prosperity
Blest may our future be,
While thee we praise.

Oh! may our conduct here,
To thy just eye appear
Correct, upright.
Make us all pure in heart,
Masonic truth impart,
Fit us by every art,
For realms of light.

After closing, the Brethren marched in the order of their date of membership to the Encampment Armory, where a sumptuous banquet awaited them. At the proper time the W. Master introduced W. Brother Salmon as Toast Master for the evening. The first toast was to

The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts.

This was responded to by R. W. William S. Gardner, D. D. G. M. Other appropriate toasts called out W. Bro. Bancroft, Ex-Mayor of Lowell, R. W. Bro. William North, W. H. N. Hall, W. Master of Pentucket Lodge, R. W. Samuel K. Hutchinson, R W. Joel Spalding, W. C. C. Hutchinson, and Brother Jos. G. Abbot. An interesting letter was read from W. Bro. Putnam, of Chicago, the only Past Master absent.

In the absence of Br. H. Hosford, Mayor of the city, Bro. B. C. Sargent, Ex-Mayor, responded to a toast to the city of Lowell.

An interesting letter was read from Bro. Elisha Huntington, Ex-Lieut. Governor of Massachusetts, and Ex-Mayor of Lowell, who was prevented by indisposition from being present, in response to a toast to the Charter Members. Bro. John A. Goodwin, S. Warden of the Lodge, responded to a toast to deceased members. He paid a most glowing and beautiful tribute to the memory of those members who had died during the last ten years.

This interesting anniversary was closed about twelve o'clock, by singing the following Hymn, to the tone of Old Hundred. After which all united in singing Old Lang Syne.

Come, Brothers, ere to-night we part,
Join every voice and every heart;
One solemn hymn to God we'll raise,
One closing song of grateful praise.

Here, Brothers, we may meet no more,
Bat there is yet a happier shore,
And there, released from toil and pain,
Dear Brothers, we shall meet again.

The following are the officers of the Lodge:—

  • Geo. W. Bedlow, W. M.
  • John A. Goodwin, S. W.
  • Josiah E. Short, Jr., J. W.:
  • William Lamson, Jr., Treas.
  • Richard W. Barker, Sec.
  • Sager Ashworth and Henry P. Perkins, Deacons
  • Andrew J. Seavey and Albion J. Dudley, Stewards
  • Rev. J. J. Twiss, Chaplain
  • John W. Patch, Marshal
  • Sam'l P. Hadley, Jr., Organist
  • James W. B. Shaw, Sentinel
  • Albigence W. Fisher, Tyler.

20TH ANNIVERSARY, JUNE 1873

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly Magazine, Vol. XXXII, No. 7, June 1873, Page 209:

The Twentieth Anniversary of this enterprising and successful Lodge, was celebrated in the beautiful apartments of the new Masonic building at Lowell on Monday evening, June 9. The attendance was unusually large, embracing most of its members and including, we think, with one or two exceptions, its entire board of Fast Masters. There were also present as guests, M. W. Grand Master Nickerson, Past Grand Masters Coolidge, Parkman and Gardner, with Grand Secretaries Moore, Titus, Grand Marshal Chessman and others.

The Lodge was opened at seven and one-half o'clock, when the Grand Master and his suite were very handsomely received in form, and welcomed by W. Bro. Nathaniel C. Sanborn, Master of the Lodge, and seated in the East; when, in accordance with the programme of the evening, the present officers resigned their places to their Past Masters, who, by previous arrangement had consented to work the Third Degree as it was worked in the early days of the Lodge. R. W. Samuel E. Hutchinson was selected to preside as Master, and was assisted by his associate Past Masters, among whom was W. Bro. Jefferson Bancroft, who was Master of the Lodge at its organization, twenty years ago, and who, in the first year of his administration, initiated forty-one candidates. We have not the names of the other Fast Masters, or we should be happy to give them. As respects the work, it is sufficient to say that it was exceedingly well done, and presented many points of interest to the older brethren present, and some which were probably new to many of the younger brethren. We have rarely personally been more agreeably entertained, or more deeply impressed with the great danger arising from the introduction of what are claimed to be improvements in the ritual.

The ceremonies were concluded with the singing of the following ode, written for the occasion, we suspect, by a former member of the Lodge.

On England's favored shore,
At York, in time of yore,
Oar fathers met.
One thousand years ago.
They the good seed did sow,
The fruit from which shall flow
O'er nations yet.

Though centuries have passed
Since they did breathe their last,
They live to-day.
Received in the York Rite,
Here Masons hail the light,
As then, now shining bright,
To cheer their way.

Let us of "Ancient York,"
While virtue's path we walk,
Cherish the old.
Tradition eager trace,
And let not time efface
A tithe we would replace
Of wisdom's gold.

'Tis twenty years this day,
Since we sped on our way,
With chartered rights.
Faith in the God most kind,
Hope heavenly peace to find,
Charity to all mankind
Our guiding lights.

A procession was then formed and the brethren repaired to the banqueting hall, which is one of the most beautiful in the State, where they found the long tables bountifully spread and tastefully decorated, presenting an agreeable and inviting appearance. At the conclusion of the feast, the more intellectual part of the ceremonies here were opened by the W. Master of the Lodge, Bro. Nathaniel C. Sanborn, in a neat and entertaining speech, in which he briefly sketched the organization and history of the Lodge from the date of its Charter in 1853, reading the names of the Charter members, and of those of them who are still living, six in number, — eight having died since the Charter was issued. The Lodge has been blessed with continued prosperity, and has borne upon its roll at different times, the names of three hundred and fifteen members, most of whom were among its initiates. It has, however, in addition to these, initiated forty candidates who did not affiliate with the Lodge. Its present number of members is 196. It has dispensed in charity about $1600 and has in the treasury a cash balance of $538, and is, we understand, out of debt.

The W. Master closed his remarks by introducing, as the next speaker, M. W. Grand Master Nickerson, who made one of his always appropriate, sensible and entertaining speeches. He was followed by Past Grand Masters Gardner, Coolidge, Parkman, and Bros. Moore and Titus of the Grand Lodge, and other brethren whose names we are not able to give. The speaking was, as a whole, dignified and considerably above the average character of the speaking on such occasions. Indeed, the whole affair was one of the most agreeable and successful of its kind, and was highly creditable to the taste and liberality of the brethren under whose management it was conducted. As a conclusion, the following ode, written for the occasion by a member present, was well sung by its author, to whose politeness we are indebted for a copy of it:

I sing for those who wrought for us,
And laid the comer-stone
On which the walls of Ancient York
So steadily have grown.
For they should not forgotten be,
From whose good work we know
So many comforts come to us
Since twenty years ago.

The Old Lodge work is altered some,
And old words are replaced
By some that slightly change the vows
Freemasons then embraced.
But the same grand thoughts are In
The words that thrilled the fathers so,
When first they wrought in Ancient York
Just twenty years ago.

The place, the room, the tools are changed;
Apprentices who then
Took their first steps in Masonry,
Our Masters since have been.
But the same old Master 's here to-night,
Whose ruddy face did glow
When first he opened Ancient York
Just twenty years ago.

And we who gather here to-night
These memories to recall,
May we like them remembered be,
When we like them shall fall;
Fall one by one, as withered leaves
When autumn breezes blow;
As days, and weeks, and months, and years,
For twenty years shall go.

But turn we to the coming years,
The twenty years to come —
Our eyes grow moist with unshed tears,
Our tongues are stricken dumb;
For who of us shall meet here then
To thus renew the tow
That binds us in our brotherhood,
Just twenty years from now?

But if we all shall pass away,
And vacant be each place,
Or, if we all should be here then,
Each well remembered face,
May never dark despair assail,
Or hopeless grief benumb

Any who work in Ancient York
For twenty years to come.

150TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, APRIL 2002

From TROWEL, Summer 2002, Page 21:

Grand Master M. W. Donald G. Hicks. Jr. was the guest of honor at a Table Lodge
on April 11 at the Lowell Masonic Center, celebrating the 150th anniversary of Ancient York Lodge. He was received by a committee of 14 Past Masters, with Wor. Philip Colburn, the oldest living Past Master, as Chairman.

AncientYork150_2002.jpg
R. W. Roy J. Leone, District Deputy Grand Master for the Lowell 12th; the Grand Master; Wor. Barry Patterson, Master of Ancient York Lodge. — Wor. Bill Rawnsley


GRAND LODGE OFFICERS

OTHER BROTHERS


DISTRICTS

1852: District 3

1867: District 7 (Lowell)

1883: District 11 (Lowell)

1911: District 12 (Lowell)

1927: District 12 (Lowell)


LINKS

Lodge web site

Massachusetts Lodges