- 1 THE HARVARD LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
THE HARVARD LODGE
Chartered By: Dudley M. Ferrell
Charter Date: 03/14/1923 1923-53
Precedence Date: 05/18/1922
Current Status: Active
HARVARD GOWNS, AUGUST 1923
From New England Craftsman, Vol. XVIII, No. 11, August 1923, Page 339:
THE GOWNS AND REGALIA OF THE HARVARD LODGE
A feature of the ceremony of the constitution of the Harvard Lodge which surprised and pleased those present, was the wearing, by the members entitled, of their academic gowns and brilliantly colored hoods. The "academic dress" is the college uniform of ceremonial occasions at the colleges and universities, and is seldom seen except at the commencement season, and then only by the few who are privileged to be admitted to the ceremonies. In this country the rules, like those as to military uniforms and insignia, are very definite, though abroad these rules vary with the various universities. Everywhere, however, the degree which a man holds determines the cut of his gown and the style and color of his hood.
General rules prevailing in this country prescribe for a bachelor's gown long pointed sleeves, for a master's gown, sleeves that hang nearly to the feet with openings at the height of the elbows, through which the fore-arm is passed, and for a doctor's gown very full sleeves. The last two gowns are more voluminous than the bachelor's, and the doctor's having broad velvet facing and three velvet bars on each sleeve, which with the facing is either black or the color of the degree. The hood shows the college color in its silk lining, while its velvet facing. varying in width for the three grades, shows by its color, the department of learning to which the degree pertains: while for arts, yellow for science, blue for philosophy, purple for law, green for medicine, scarlet for divinity, and so on.
Harvard rules, however, allow no color, except the crimson in the lining of the hood, and a small crow's foot of narrow braid, the color of the degree on either side of the collar of the gown, and her bachelors of law and of divinity wear the doctor's gowns and hoods.
At the constitution of the Harvard Lodge the big crimson-lined hoods spreading over the backs of the black gowns made the affair a colorful one. Bachelors' hoods are seldom worn and many were unable to procure the hoods of their colleges and degree for this occasion or an even more gorgeous Spectacle would have been presented for no less than forty-two Masonic jurisdictions were represented and nearly as many colleges. As it was there were seen doctors' hoods of Oxford, Cambridge, Leyden and elsewhere. Brother Weysse wore the hood of his Doctor Of Medicine degree, showing the Swiss white cross on red on the linings, while Rt. Wor. Bro. Pound, dean of the Law School, wore the gown and hood of his latest (his seventh). Doctor of Laws degree from Cambridge, England, the gown of scarlet broad cloth faced with pink silk and a beautiful silk hood.
The lodge intends to follow the academic custom and wear the gowns and hoods on all ceremonial occasions.
The regalia of the new lodge, worn for the first time at its constitution, is worthy of special notice. As a matter of historic interest, it can be recorded that the "Master designate," made an earnest though unsuccessful effort to be allowed to use Harvard crimson instead of blue on the aprons and collars, citing the practice of the Grand Stewards' Lodge in England, and certain "red lodges" In Scotland as precedents, Failing that, the possibility of using the blue of Cambridge, John Harvard's University, was considered, but it was found to be an "athletic" rather than an official color, and of a shade so light that its use was impracticable.
The aprons, as finally adopted, have borders of velvet, instead of the usual silk, and are a rich shade of blue. They have no fringe, and on the lap, embroidered in silver, appears the Harvard shield with its three books, and the "Veritas." while on the apron itself the emblem of the particular office, is embroidered in silver without circle or colored background, The collars are unique. The center link, from which is suspended the jewel, hears a small Harvard seal, two links in front and one at the back show the letter "H." and for the rest the alternate links are the Solomon's knot and an oblong square bearing the jewel of the office of the wearer, in miniature. The rods and other paraphernalia also bear the miniature Harvard seal.
- Guy H. Holliday, 1922; Mem
- Milo G. Roberts, 1923
- Jess H. Jackson, 1924
- Donald V. Baker, 1925
- Frank A. Hamilton, 1926
- E. Stanton Russell, 1927
- Albert A. Schaefer, 1928
- Kenneth S. Boardman, 1929
- Paul H. Weiss, 1930
- Howard R .Brentlinger, 1931
- Whitfield Whittemore Johnson, Esq., 1932, 1977
- George H. Chase, 1933
- Paul K. McElroy, 1934
- Harry L. Cowles, 1935
- Eliot S. Boardman, 1936, 1944; N
- Carl F. Rice, 1937
- A. Sidney Kingsmill, 1938
- Loring B. Andrews, 1939
- Carroll F. Gatchell, 1940
- Arthur W. Hanson, 1941
- Richard N. Bail, 1942
- Arthur W. Hanson, 1943
- Stephen C. Lang, 1945
- J. Lyle McCorison, 1946
- Willoughby I. Stuart, 1947
- Roger S. Hewett, 1948
- James F. Farr, 1949, 1950
- Lewis H. Norcott, Jr., 1951
- Gaylord P. Coon, 1952
- William E. Putnam, 1953
- Charles G. Gould, 1954
- Harborne W. Stuart, 1955; N
- Oscar J. Raeder, 1956
- H. Rushton Harwood, Jr., 1957, 1981
- Paul H. Chamberlain, 1958
- Robert Kennedy, 1959
- Robert P. Beach, 1960
- Hewitt Morgan, Jr., 1961
- Franklin N. Cunningham, 1962, 1976; N
- Frederick W. Bundy, Jr., 1963
- Joseph H. Davis, Jr., 1964
- David D. Honick, 1965, 1975, 1998; N
- Richard A. Higgins, 1966
- Reginald H. Smith, Jr., 1967, 1968
- William R. Morrison, Jr., 1969, 1970
- Leonard Kupelman, 1971
- Richard Long, 1972, 1973
- Andrew S. Kohr, 1974
- Robert C. Abrahamson, 1978, 1997
- Charles M. Kelso, Jr., 1979
- Lewis H. Norcott, Jr., 1980
- Robert P. Clark, 1982, 1991
- Thomas Law Bruce, 1983
- David Ekern Ratcliff, 1984
- John Baker Langer, 1985, 1986
- Sherwin J. Feinhandler, 1987
- J. Tyler Carpenter, 1988
- George F. Shelton, 1989, 1990; N
- Charles N. Shiller, 1991, 1992
- Donovan J. Pihlaja, 1993, 1994; PDDGM
- Robert F. Dwyer, 1995, 1996
- Kenneth R. Prase, 1999-2001
- Clark B. Loth, 2002; PDDGM
- E. Philip Freedman, 2003
- Thomas H. Bruntley, 2004
- Thomas Lane Bruce, 2005; RW
- Ryan J. Johnson, 2006, 2007
- Robert E. Bolcome, 2008
- Diego S. Depetris, 2009-2011
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1923 (Ferrell; Constitution of Lodge and installation)
- 1929 (H. Dean)
- 1939 (Perry)
- 1941 (Schaefer; 2 visits; Reception for Grand Master, installation)
- 1949 (Keith; reception for Senior Grand Warden Whitfield W. Johnson)
- 1951 (Roy; Ladies' Night and installation)
- 1954 (W. Johnson; installation)
- 1956 (W. Johnson; presentation to Roscoe Pound)
- 1963 (Osgood; Reception for Grand Master)
- 1964 (Osgood; Reception for Grand Master)
- 1966 (Booth; Reception for Senior Grand Warden Robert Beach and Deputy Grand Master James Farr)
- 1972 (Vose; 50th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1977 (Maxwell; installation)
- 1978 (Melanson)
- 1983 (Berquist; presentation to Past Grand Master Whitfield W. Johnson)
- 2004 (Hicks)
- 2005 (Hodgdon)
- 2006 (Hodgdon)
- 2007 (Hodgdon; 2 visits)
- 2008 (Pageau)
- 2009 (Pageau)
- 2010 (Pageau; installation)
- 2015 (Waugh; installation)
- 1972 (50th Anniversary History, 1972-96)
FOUNDING, JUNE 1923
From New England Craftsman, Vol. XVIII, No. 9, June 1923, Page 260:
THE STORY OF THE FOUNDING OF THE HARVARD LODGE
By Bro. Guy H. Holliday, Massachusetts
At Harvard University, there was instituted, on May 18, 1922, a lodge to be known as "The Harvard Lodge." This is a lodge of a new type in the United States, a "college" lodge, a lodge with great possibilities for future usefulness to Harvard and to the craft.
Harvard University with its many graduate schools brings together student brethren from every State in the Union and, in fact, from nearly every part of the world. These men had little opportunity to enjoy the fellowship of their home lodges during the whole period of their academic and professional courses, and they hesitate to visit any extent the local lodges in Cambridge and Boston, so that at the very time when they should enjoy the pleasant association with their brethren the most, and improve themselves in Masonry, they are to all intents and purposes Masonically dead. For such men, and from the moment they enter the University, the Harvard Lodge will furnish a common meeting place; it will furnish for them, through its special committees, a place to turn to for advice and help in all matters relating to the life and work of the University. More important still, they will learn at once that they have friends by the score in their new surroundings.
It is expected that the men who have known Harvard Masonry, those who have taken their degrees in, or who have affiliated with the new lodge, and those who have known the lodge only as welcome guests, will eventually spread over the country, and wherever they may find their lot cast take up Masonic work with renewed interest and earnestness.
The establishment of a lodge at Harvard has been the subject of discussion for some years, but until now no steps have been taken to accomplish it. In March of last year, however, an amendment to the Massachusetts Grand Constitutions was unanimously adopted, providing for "college" lodges, which should he relieved of the burden of obtaining releases, as other lodges are required to do, on candidates residing beyond the limits of the city or town where the lodge is situated, but on the other hand limiting their field for candidates to the college itself. The amendment was to the section relating to local or territorial jurisdiction of lodges, and reads as follows:
"If, however, the jurisdiction named in the charter shall be a college, university, or other institution of like character and standing, such jurisdiction shall be limited to, and include only, the following: viz., concurrent jurisdiction with the Lodge or Lodges having regular territorial jurisdiction over any candidate who, at the time of application is an officer, student, or employee in, and who, in addition to having a Masonic residence in Massachusetts, shall have been on the rolls of such college, university, or institution, for six months continuously preceding the date of his application. The special jurisdiction conferred by this section shall not he subject to waiver on the part of the lodge enjoying it."
Following this action by the Grand Lodge. the Harvard Masonic Club, an association of Masons in the University numbering some 120 members, took up the question of a Harvard lodge at its annual meeting in April. As a result, and with the advice and active assistance of Rt. Wor. George B. Colesworthy. (A. B. 1901) District Deputy Grand Master for the Second Masonic District, a petition for a dispensation to establish a lodge was prepared and presented to the Grand Master, who in May ordered that the lodge he instituted.
The petition was headed by the District Deputy, and then followed the names of his two immediate predecessors in office, both Harvard graduates; those of Professor Roscoe Pound, Dean of the Law School, Past Deputy Grand Master in Massachusetts, of Professor Kirsopp Lake of the Divinity School, of a Presiding Master, and of several Past Masters and other officers of the Cambridge lodges. The petitioners were in a11 one hundred and twenty in number, of whom thirty were graduates, sixty students, twelve from the Faculty members and instructors, and eight officers or employees of the University.
The petitioners named as their Master Rt. Wor. Guy H. Holliday (A. B., '89, LL. B., '92), Past District Deputy Grand Master of the Second, or Cambridge, Masonic District, and an honorary member of the Harvard Masonic Club; as Senior Warden Milo G. Roberts, a Junior in the college; and as Junior Warden, Jess H. Jackson, an Instructor in the College.
The officers appointed later were: Treasurer, Assistant Professor Edwin A. Shaw, of the Graduate School of Education; Secretary, James E. Bagley, a special student in the College, Senior Deacon of Euclid Lodge of Boston; Chaplain, Professor Kirsopp Lake, of the Divinity School; Marshal, W. Arnold Hosmer. Instructor of the Graduate School of Business Administration; Senior Deacon, Dr. Donald V. Baker, '08; Junior Deacon, Dr. Frank A. Hamilton, Instructor in the Medical School; Senior Steward, E. Stanton Russell, '19; Junior Steward, Albert A. Schaefer, '06; Inside Sentinel, David W. Wainhouse, '24; Organist, Charles A. Young; Tyler, Arthur H. Conant, College Bell Ringer.
This "line" of officers is in accord with the democratic character of the new lodge, which includes not only men coming from widely separated places, but also represents every grade and variety of academic rating.
The reception of The Harvard Lodge by the other Cambridge Lodges has been most cordial. It has been received into the family of lodges occupying the beautiful Cambridge Temple, and is at present using regalia loaned by Charity Lodge. The youngest of these lodges, "Richard C. Maclaurin" ("The Tech. Lodge") instituted in 1920 and by an amendment of its charter in June, also a "college" lodge, has presented the new lodge with a gavel; and the oldest, Amicable, dating from 1805, has given the Great Lights.
It has been well said that a University is a place of opportunities: Harvard University is peculiarly a place of opportunities for this newly added School of Friendship and Brotherly Love — The Harvard Lodge.
50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MAY 1972
From Proceedings, Page 1972-96:
By Worshipful Robert H. Kennedy.
Fifty years is a period of time — short to some and olden times to others — it depends on whether you have lived it or learned about it at your father's knee — or some other low joint.
This history is being written for everyone, hopefully, to enjoy. Some always like to look for errors in spelling or composition. You may find that I have left a dangling participle, or split infinitive or used a preposition to end a sentence with. So, as I say, this is for everyone's enjoyment.
Many things have disappeared from the Cambridge-Boston scene in these intervening years — Shuman's Corner — Stickpins — The Old Howard — Crystal Sets — Ear Phones — Literary Digest — "When in doubt buy of Osgood" — Vacant Store Gypsies — Principal travel by Railroad, Steamship (including The Fall River Line) and "Ed" Dana's Boston Elevated — The Acacia Fraternity.
The Harvard Lodge may well have had its beginning in the fellowship of the Acacia Fraternity or Harvard Masonic Club in 1921, meeting at their house on Prescott Street. An idea in the minds of interested Masons in the College and the University (notably the Law School Dean, Rt. Wor. Roscoe Pound) who were willing and able to roll up their sleeves to put a foundation under their "air castle" and putting their idea into being for the benefit of their contemporaries and for the generations to come.
In March of 1922, at a dinner of the Harvard Masonic Club, a committee of eight were selected to organize The Harvard Lodge. A representative of each school of the University, under the chairmanship of Rt. Wor. George Colesworthy, was given this task. This Annual meeting brought together 111 charter members for this group — namely 12 Faculty, 30 Alumni, 61 Students and 8 Employees.
Early in May, 1922, these Masons, having the prosperity of the Craft at heart and anxious to exert their best endeavors to promote and diffuse the genuine principles of Freemasonry and the convenience of their respective dwellings and other good reasons, petitioned the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts to form The Harvard Lodge.
On the 18th of May, 1922, at the Cambridge Temple in Porter Square, Rt. Wor. George B. Colesworthy, District Deputy Grand Master, instituted The Harvard Lodge, and delivered the dispensation, signed by Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, Grand Master, and, authorizing the Lodge to work, Rt. Wor. Guy H. Holliday was selected as Worshipful Master.
On June 15, 1922, the first meeting, "Under Dispensation" was held to confer the Entered Apprentice degree with three candidates and 65 members present. It was at this meeting that Amicable Lodge presented the magnificent gift of the Three Great Lights and which was accepted with grateful appreciation by long continued applause.
On November 16, 1922, five men were honored to be the first men to receive the Master Mason degree in "The Harvard". Shawmut Lodge, Joseph Webb Lodge, and Winthrop Lodge shared in this honor by each raising one candidate, and Euclid Lodge provided the music.
These founding fathers wore their enthusiasm as a badge of their sincerity and many candidates were procured the first years, even to the extent of almost being a "degree mill" but not sacrificing quality of work. It is interesting to note that on many occasions, three degrees were conferred at the same meeting on three different classes of candidates as they were eligible. The communications would start at 2:30 P.M. for the Entered Apprentice class and proceed then to the Fellow Craft class, break for dinner and then reconvene for the Master Mason degree.
The concept of a University Lodge was not new, inasmuch as there were two already in existence — Richard C. Maclaurin at M. I. T. and Henry Morse Stephens at Berkeley — University of California. However, the University Lodge fills a need as set forth in a letter from William Stone in 1922 to form a "glad-hand" committee to seek out those new comers and acquaint them with the city, the school, and all things associated with them. This kind of service is especially appreciated by the newcomer and brings the brother into closer contact, creating a spirit of fellowship, which is an ideal of the fraternity.
On April 1 1, 1923 a dinner was served in the Cambridge Masonic Temple to 80 members and 120 guests. The Worshipful Master presented the Grand Master, who received a thunderous ovation. Rt. Wor. Bro. Colesworthy gave a brief address of the formation of The Harvard Lodge and its work while "Under Dispensation." The Grand Lodge repaired to the Prelate's Room to open a Special Communication of the Grand Lodge and then entered the Lodge Room in solemn procession and the Constitution Ceremonies were performed with the dignity befitting this great and important undertaking. (1923 Mass. 105-109)
Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell installed Rt. Wor. Guy H. Holliday, and the other elected officers .were installed by the Grand Officer holding the similar office; with other officers installed by Rt. Wor. Claude L. Allen, Past Deputy Grand Master.
The unusual feature of the ceremony was the fact that, probably for the first time in the history of American Masonry, nearly the entire membership of a Masonic Lodge was robed in academic gowns with two score of scholastic hoods of varying shape and color, thus emphasizing the collegiate character of "The Harvard" and bringing into strong relief its unique trait, an academic Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons, ninety-five percent of whom had secured a recognized standing in the pursuit of scholarship and learning. As the Grand Secretary called each name from the roll of Charter Members, that man took his position West of the Altar and when the 87th man called, took his position with the others, it was a beautiful sight for all to behold. The new regalia of the Lodge, the magnificent regalia of Grand Lodge, the diversified gowns of the brethren with the varied hues of the scholastic hoods, all united to form a grave splendor of Masonic ritual, inspiring, impressive and one not to be forgotten.
Thirty-three members of Grand Lodge, eighty-seven members of The Harvard Lodge and two hundred-sixty visitors from forty-two Grand Jurisdictions, including Canada, England, Scotland, India, Siam and Cuba, attended this meeting.
At various times during our life, a letter has been issued — somewhat on an irregular basis, to inform the brethren — particularly those living at great distances — of the happenings at the local level and keeping them posted as to the fortunes and misfortunes of their brethren who also live at distant points.
The first of these appeared under the title of "The Occasional News Letter" on December 10, 1926 and was inaugurated by Wor. Frank Hamilton. And in 1928, Wor. E. Stanton Russell had a "Change of Name but not of Purpose" and called it the "Harcraft News". This continued more or less regularly through 1940. Ten years later Wor. James F. Farr picked it up for a year and a half. Received again with various editors in 1959 and through 1965. The price of the publication had never varied — "The price of the news is pay your dues and send a note about yourself." Countless letters of appreciation of the "News" were sent from members scattered throughout the world where they resided. Wor. E. Stanton Russell on many occasions made an annual donation to ensure its continuance—such was his appreciation.
On many occasions the wives (or shall we say "Sub-Rosa" members) would accompany the members to dinner and then split—the men to the meeting and the ladies to an adjoining apartment for their own entertainment and be rejoined by the men when the meeting adjourned, sometimes for a speaker with or without a film. This so-called "family plan" was very successful and promoted the close harmony of all.
The great depression of the early 30's manifested itself on all segments of society, including The Harvard Lodge. Candidates were fewer but the enthusiasm and fellowship were not dimmed by the parlous times. Dinners ranged from "pot-luck" suppers to 60 cents and "not over $1.00" catered affairs.
It was in December of 1930 that the first from The Harvard Lodge received an appointment in the Grand Lodge — namely Rt. Wor. Albert Schaefer as Senior Grand Deacon. It is interesting to note that in the offices of Grand Lodge, all but four have been filled at some time by a member of The Harvard Lodge. The exceptions are Junior Grand Warden, Grand Standard Bearer, Grand Organist and Grand Tyler. Three Past Masters have been Judge Advocate for a total of twenty-five years. Four members have been elected to Grand Master. Most Worshipfuls Albert A. Schaefer and Whitfield W. Johnson from the line of The Harvard Lodge and those by affiliation were Most Worshipfuls Arthur W. Coolidge and A. Neill Osgood. In 1940, Most Worshipful Joseph Earl Perry was voted Honorary Member.
The Design of the Cover
The first notices of the Lodge had a Harvard Seal or Square & Compasses on the cover. In 1926, Bro. William J. Stone (School of Architecture) designed a cover with his own pen and imagination which embodies many of the emblems, furniture and tools of the Craft. The officers stations and the Jay brothers are depicted in their proper places and at the proper time. The Memorial Hall Tower, before the disastrous fire of 1957, is shown in picturesque setting beyond the 1887-1888 Gate. All of our printing these fifty years has been by the same man (and his boys) Bro. Edwin Powell, still hale and hearty at 92 years of age.
I call you to examine the Cover very carefully and discover all of the hidden detail.
In the earlier years, the Cover was printed in the bluetone of John Harvard's College in Cambridge University, England. Rt. Wor. Roscoe Pound arranged this from a ribbon from Cambridge University.
This history has been prepared from records given to the Lodge by devoted charter members. In 1959, Wor. Eugene Wyman presented three bound volumes which contained a copy of every notice from the first one of "Under Dispensation" days to the present. Earlier this year, Wor. William J. Stone of Valley Center, California gave us almost a complete set of notices and "Occasional News Letters" and "Harcraft News". The reports of the several Secretaries are quite full of detail and kept in excellent condition.
Priceless letters and notes between the charter members while busily engaged in the formation of the Lodge were carefully preserved and donated by Wor. "Bill" Stone — an outstanding Mason.
Just as an aside, to show qualities of our first Marshal — "Bill" Stone, on his return to Pasadena, founded Acacia Fraternities there, promoted and helped "found" the Altadena Lodge, became its Master, designed its Temple and helped superintend its construction and all the while, still cherished our Lodge, as manifested by these magnificent gifts today.
As thoughtful, sincere Masons who cherished memorabilia, both Wor. Kenneth Boardman and Rt. Wor. Elliot Boardman seized the opportunity of small things to delight others later on. Brother "Ken" Boardman mailed a First Day Cover from the George Washington Memorial in Alexandria, Virginia, to the Lodge on February 22, 1932 — the 200th Anniversary of Washington's birth. Together they presented the Lodge in December 1936 with two kernels of corn used in the constitution of The Harvard Lodge on April 11, 1923.
The Lodge has met in several locations during these fifty years. As we are chartered to meet at the University, this has lot always been possible due to inability to secure space there. While we have held Stated Communications at the Porter Square Temple, Phillips Brooks House, Faculty Club, Pi Eta Club, Iroquois Club and 186 Tremont Street (formerly 51 Boylston Street, Boston) — from 1947 through 1959, the Faculty Club Library served as a delightful homey site and much credit is due to Rt. Wor. James Farr for planning and executing the arrangements. Also in 1950, Rt. Wor. Bro. Farr sent Greetings to The Harvard Lodge No. 6957 London, England, as it was consecrated by the United Grand Lodge of England and commented that Isaac Newton Lodge of Cambridge, England, had made our Harvard Lodge their "sister" Lodge in honour of their famous graduate.
From within our membership of the early days, three of our men became College Presidents:
- Bro. Bancroft Beatley, Simmons College
- Bro. S. Justus McKinley, Emerson College
- Wor .Rev. J. Lyle McCorison, Yankton College, South Dakota
Many more distinguished themselves in fields of medicine, surgery, finance, psychiatry, merchandizing, law, public security, diplomacy, various of the military, architecture and City planning, science, education and theology.
There have been several Convocations of the University Lodges in the Boston area, with each of the three alternating as Host. One of the more memorable occasions was our 200th meeting in January 1941, as the officers of all three Lodges occupied "triplicate" stations in the Lodge Room for the purpose of a reception to the newly installed Most Worshipful Albert A. Schaefer, Grand Master, who was accompanied by twenty-five members of Grand Lodge — including Wor. Elliot Boardman as Junior Grand Deacon and Wor. Whitfield W. Johnson as Grand Sword Bearer.
At another meeting of the three Lodges, Wor. Robert H. Kennedy, as President of the Harvard Square & Compass Club, presented Wor. Gaylord Coon a gavel composed of three venerable pieces of wood, bonded together and symbolic of the Unity of the Lodges. The head of the gavel was made from an oak handrail from the first Boston University Business Administration School on Boylston Street, and donated by Brother Daniel L. Marsh, President of Boston University through Wor. Norman M. Gay. One half of the handle was from an oak frame at the Rogers Building, then the Museum of Natural History (now Bonwit Teller) at 234 Berkeley Street the first building of M.I.T., and procured through Wor. Wolcott Hokanson. The other half of the handle was from a walnut desk top of the original Harvard Hall and discovered in the remodeling by Bro. James Babcock, who "turned out" the gavel on his lathe. It was intended that the Host Master use this at future Convocations.
There are only four University Lodges in America to the best of my knowledge; the fourth being Henry Morse Stephens at Berkeley, California. However, The Harvard Lodge is the oldest strictly University Lodge inasmuch as we are chartered as such, whereas, the others were chartered on a geographical or city basis. Later on, the others sought such limitations and had their charters revised to have a jurisdiction of the University only. Our own had to be revised because as originally granted, we could not initiate an alumnus unless he had a current, active connection with the University, as student, faculty or employee.
The presiding Wor. Whitfield W. Johnson contacted James B. Conant, the newly elected President of Harvard, in 1933, to visit with us. Since President Conant confined his visits to official Harvard-related groups during his first year, he delayed his visit until the term of Wor. George H. Chase the following year. This meeting was graced by the presence of many leading luminaries of the Academic, Masonic and business worlds.
In 1936, as the University was celebrating its Tercentenary, the Lodge planned a special meeting to coincide with this gala event. Since many of the Alumni were returning from many distant points of the world, it gave them more of a common ground upon which to reminisce for an evening.
Of course, as in all Lodges, there were many Past Masters' Nights, but the one in 1961 was a little different. Wor. "Bob" Beach (now Rt. Wor.) was able to gather twenty Past Masters and put them all to work that evening in May. Considering the distances of their homes from Harvard Square, that was quite a chore. At the conclusion of the degree work, the crowded lodge-room was privileged to have Rt. Wor. Roscoe Pound address them on "Town and Gown" as it applied to the Fraternity. And there, we had some ideas behind the founding of The Harvard Lodge. This was the last visit to the Lodge by Brother Pound, who was then in his nineties.
As well as Past Masters' Nights, there were several Past District Deputy Nights involving all the available District Deputy Grand Masters of the Boston Second and the Cambridge Second Districts. The most recent of these was in 1959.
There have been several District Deputies from The Harvard Lodge. Brother Albert Schaefer was the first followed by Brothers Elliot Boardman, James F. Farr and Harborne W. Stuart, with appropriate receptions being held for each.
Speaking of receptions, in 1939 when Rt. Wor. A. Neill Osgood appeared here for the first time as District Deputy Grand Master, the entertainment following the meeting, on this "Family Night", was a talk entitled, "Television! When?" by Wor. Loring Andrews, an authority on the subject. I wonder if he realized what a Cycloptic monster T. V. would become in a few years. He also wrote the long range weather forecasts for the Old Farmer's Almanac and provided the astronomical data that was published in the World Almanac annually.
What I suppose may be unique in the form of receptions was one held on January 28, 1966 at the Grand Lodge Temple in Boston, when homage was paid to four men of The Harvard Lodge who had been selected to be on the "team" of Most Worshipful Thomas A. Booth that year. Namely: Rt. Wor. James F. Farr as Deputy Grand Master; Rt. Wor. Robert P. Beach as Senior Grand Warden; Wor. and Rev. Ralph Ernest Bayes as Grand Chaplain and Wor. Robert H. Kennedy as Grand Pursuivant. In the midst of dinner, a tremor was noted when the Hotel Paramount, a few doors away, suffered a bad explosion and throwing a large area of downtown Boston into darkness. Thanks to the foresight of the managers of the Temple, an auxiliary generator took over immediately and the festivities continued without interruption.
It is noted that frequently Ministers are Masters of their Lodges; but in 1945-1946 and 1947 we were in "good hands" when Rev. Stephen C. Lang and Rev. J. Lyle McCorison served as "back to back" Masters.
To see that our By-Laws were correct and very proper in all detail, they were drawn up and edited by Brothers Bancroft Beatly and Thurman L. Hood, Professor of English.
The membership responded very favorably on appeals for funds on several occasions — be it for the George Washington Memorial, Juniper Hall, Building Fund, Arkansas Flood, War Relief, Furnishing Fund or whatever.
The widows of Most Worshipful Albert A. Schaefer and Rt. Wor. Guy H. Holliday donated the Past Master's Apron and Jewel to us. It was the usual custom for several years for the presiding Master to wear them in his office, and about a decade ago they were "retired" to be preserved.
Our present Chaplain, Wor. and Rev. Ralph Ernest Bayes, D. D., must be praised for his devotion (no pun intended) to his office by his regular and almost perfect attendance these 27 years.
During the war years of '41 through '45 members were urged to attend by using the trolleys and to save their gasoline ration coupons. And the remarks of Wor. Stephen Lang in 1945 still ring in my ears. "The cannon have ceased and the dawn of peace appears—though many things are still out of joint, let us devote ourselves to relief and true brotherhood".
On many occasions Bro. Edmund F. Barker would air-express bouquets of live acacia to us on the appropriate nights from his home in California. All of this was because of the similar gift of his "Dad" the night he was raised.
Another good friend was Wor. Joseph H. Davis, who presented us with a complete set of Officers' aprons shortly after his term as Master. The original aprons had more than done their service in the forty odd years.
I thank you for the opportunity of looking into history and into so many personal files, including those of Dean Pound—the outstanding authority of Masonic jurisprudence. I am sorry that we, today, cannot be on the sidelines and have all of those who have gone before us recount those days for us in person. How nice it would be to be all wrapped up in each others presence!
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Robert P. Beach, Grand Marshal 1963-1965, Senior Grand Warden 1966, Grand Secretary 1969-1988
- Elliot S. Boardman, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1948, 1949; N
- Franklin N. Cunningham, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1982, 1983; N
- James F. Farr, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1952, 1953; Deputy Grand Master 1966
- Guy H. Holliday, DDGM, District 2 (Cambridge), 1920, 1921; Memorial
- David D. Honick, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1996, 1997; N
- Whitfield Whittemore Johnson, Esq.; Grand Marshal 1944-1947, 1950; Senior Grand Warden, 1948; Grand Master 1954-1956
- Clark B. Loth, DDGM, District 1 (Boston), 1993, 1994
- Paul J. Malagrifa, DDGM, District 2, 2019
- Donovan J. Pihlaja, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 2000, 2001
- Albert A. Schaefer, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1933; Deputy Grand Master 1934; Grand Master 1941-1943
- George F. Shelton, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1994, 1995; N
- Harborne W. Stuart, DDGM, District 2 (Boston), 1972, 1973; N
- Donald R. Watson, Jr., DDGM, District 2, 2015, 2016.