- 1 ALFRED BAYLIES LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 OTHER BROTHERS
- 2.9 DISTRICTS
- 2.10 LINKS
ALFRED BAYLIES LODGE
Chartered By: Charles C. Dame
Charter Date: 12/12/1866 VII-112
Precedence Date: 01/12/1866
Current Status: in Grand Lodge Vault; merged into King David Lodge, 07/18/1974 (Page 1974-154).
Logo image from the 50th Anniversary Program, 1916
need list of living Past Masters
- John H. Eddy, 1866
- Mason W. Burt, 1867
- M. Frank Pike, 1868
- Charles F. Eddy, 1869, 1870
- Wiliiam B. Presbrey, 1871, 1872
- Lemuel T. Talbot, 1873
- William F. Bodfish, 1874, 1875
- Horatio H. Hall, 1876-1879; SN
- George E. Wilbur, 1880; SN
- Wiiliam F. Bodfish, 1881
- Edward P. Padelford, 1882, 1883
- Charles E. Evans, 1884, 1885
- John C. Chase, 1886, 1887
- Ivory H. Bumpus, 1888
- James R. Eddy, 1889, 1890
- Edward P. Padelford, 1891
- Alfred L. Lincoln, 1892, 1893
- Edwin O. Williams, 1894, 1895
- Gilbert H. Padelford, 1896, 1897
- Allen P. Hoard, 1898, 1899
- Herbert C. Wood, 1900, 1901
- John J. Cornell, 1902
- George W. Barrows, 1903
- Edwin O. Williams, 1904
- Isaac H. Pigeon, 1905
- Arthur C. Staples, 1906, 1907
- Ole C. Syvertsen, 1908
- Otis C. Stanley, 1909
- Robert J. McKechnie, 1910
- William H. Mann, 1911
- Allan McKechnie, 1912
- Samuel B. Dobson, 1913, 1914
- H. Stanley Wood, 1915, 1916
- Chester A. Reid, 1917, 1918
- George H. Schefer, 1919
- Edward H. Owen, 1920, 1921
- Walter A. Beaman, 1922
- Henry Slade, 1923, 1924
- Frank E. Wood, 1925, 1926
- Edward G. Crossman, I927, 1928
- William A. Woodward, 1929
- Clifford E. Hathaway, 1930, 1931
- Albert P. Schefer, 1932
- Warren E. O'Brien, 1933
- Daniel W. MacDougall, 1934
- M. Wallace Bickford, 1935
- Edward E. Walden, 1936, 1937
- Winthrop P. Mann, 1938, 1939; N
- B. Stuart Mann, 1940, 1941
- J. Edward Chase, 1942, 1943
- Frederick A. Manship, 1944, 1945
- James M. Fuller, 1946
- Albert W. Warburton, Jr., 1947
- Andrew J. Main, 1948; N
- Russell M. Borden, 1949
- Jarnes G. Gemmell, 1950
- William L. White, 1951
- Clarence F. Thurston, l952
- Thomas H. V. Sylvester, Jr., 1953
- T. Burl Grasse, 1954
- Joseph W. Betz, 1955
- John S. Barros, 1956
- George W. Stetson, 1957
- Emile J. Rouleau, Jr., 1958
- Horace A. Macomber, 1959
- John L. Bell, 1960
- Malcolm F. Borden, 1961, 1962; PDDGM
- Richard A. BelI, 1963
- Elton E. Rounds, 1964
- Burton S. Cole, 1965
- Russell E. Wood, 1966
- John A. Barros, 1967
- Walter A. Jones, 1968
- Charles E. Rouleau, 1969
- Francis Schuttauf, 1970
- David M. Rogers, 1971
- Donald J. Hess, 1972-1974
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 1916 (50th Anniversary)
- 1941 (75th Anniversary; GL Special Communication)
- 1966 (Centenary; GL Special Communication)
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1867 (Dame; see below)
- 1881 (Lawrence)
- 1908 (Blake)
- 1916 (M. Johnson; 50th Anniversary; see below)
- 1932 (Chipman; reception for Grand Marshal)
- 1941 (Schaefer; 75th Anniversary)
- 1966 (Booth; Centenary)
75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, DECEMBER 1941
From Proceedings, Page 1941-337:
By Worshipful Samuel B. Dobson
During the closing year of the Civil War, 1865, the question of having a Masonic Lodge at Weir Village was seriously considered by prominent Masons living in the locality. Numerous questions had to be settled before making application for a Dispensation, for there was already an active Lodge, King David, in Taunton; then a suitable name had to be found and a suitable place in which to hold meetings. Many conferences were held by Brethren interested in the formation of the new body, joined in by members of King David Lodge who were friendly towards the organization of a new Lodge and who offered advice that was helpful and was appreciated. The first two matters of importance to be settled were a name and a meeting place.
Doctor Alfred Baylies had long been an honored physician of the community, a member of King David Lodge, and its faithful Secretary for a long term of years. It seemed only proper and fitting that the name of such a Brother should be honored and perpetuated Masonically by adopting it as the name of the new Lodge, and with his consent, the name Alfred Baylies was agreed upon.
It was decided to hold our meetings in rooms in Staples Block at Weir Village.
November 29, 1865, a petition was presented to King David Lodge by Sylvanus N. Staples and twenty-seven members for consent to establishing a new Lodge at the Weir, to be called "Alfred Baylies." King David Lodge, although regretful at losing so many of their members, was unanimous in endorsing the petition. Application was then made to the Grand Lodge for a Dispensation, which was granted on January 12, 1866.
The first regular communication was held in Staples Block, Weir Village, Wednesday evening, January 31, 1866. The District Deputy Grand Master at this time was Right Worshipful John B. Baylies of New Bedford, who visited the Lodge twice during the first year.
The Lodge was very prosperous during the first year, holding thirty-two special and eleven regular meetings. Thirty applications for membership were received and the Master Mason Degree was conferred upon eighteen. The Lodge now awaited the action of the Grand Lodge in regard to its petition for a charter. This was granted on December 13, 1866.
January 9, 1867, Most Worshipful Grand Master Charles C. Dame constituted the Lodge and installed the officers as follows:
- Worshipful Master, John H. Eddy
- Senior Warden, Mason W. Burt
- Junior Warden, William E. Thrasher
- Treasurer, Benjamin H. Baker
- Secretary, William H. Ingell
- Senior Deacon, Charles F. Eddy
- Junior Deacon, M. Frank Pike
- Senior Steward, Benjamin B. Hathaway
- Junior Steward, Darius M. White
- Tyler, H. W. Luther
- Chaplain, William H. Merrill
- Marshal, Charles H. Pierce
It is recorded that Saint John's Day was observed June, 1866, by holding a picnic at Myrick's Grove. It is now the custom to attend church in a body on that day.
At the close of the first fifty years, Alfred Baylies Lodge had been prosperous. Two hundred and sixty-nine Brothers had received the Master Mason Degree.
At the present time we are all war-minded and regret the closing of the Masonic Lodges in many of the countries of Europe. In 1920 we were also war-minded, for we find that at our meeting held April 7, 1920, a committee was appointed to see if any of our members who were in the armed forces of the United States needed assistance.
During the years, Alfred Baylies Lodge has had two remarkable men as Chaplains, neither of whom were ministers, but who were truly Christian men, and both of whom were loved by the members of the Lodge. Worshipful Brother George W. Barrows, who died early in the year 1922, was Chaplain for a long term of years. On April 21, 1920, he was presented a Masonic charm for his faithful services. It was Worshipful Brother Barrows who wrote the historical address for our fiftieth anniversary.
Brother William L. Evans, who followed Worshipful Brother Barrows as our Chaplain, was another remarkable man. During the first ten years of his service he did not miss a meeting, and a few years ago was presented a Chaplain's jewel. Brother Evans died during the present year. Both of these men radiated the spirit of religion to all with whom they came in contact. The older members missed Worshipful Brother Barrows — the present ones, Brother Evans.
During the year 1921, the building at the Weir in which we had our meeting place was sold. The new owners raised the rent at once, so that in September, 1921, a committee was appointed to see what could be done about getting into new quarters. After several meetings, the Masonic Corporation invited us to use the Lodge-room in which we are now. On January 8, 1922, the committee reported that all arrangements had been made for the use of the Lodge-rooms at 76 Main Street, and that our meetings would be held on the third Friday of each month. We held our first meeting in March, 1922, in the new rooms and have enjoyed the use of them since that time. In order to show off our new quarters, we held a Ladies' Night in June, 1922, which was a very successful event.
The history of the Lodge is the history of the men who founded it and of the men who came into the organization later. It would not be complete without referring to the Eddys, the Staples, the Paulls, the Hathaways, the Wilburs, the Padelfords, the Hoards, the McKechnies, the Woods, and the Manns. There are many others, too numerous to mention, but all of these have helped to keep the name "Alfred Baylies" at the top.
We mentioned two Chaplains earlier. Now I would like to mention two other prominent members of Alfred Baylies Lodge. Right Worshipful Arthur Staples was a man who was generous to all appeals for help from the Brethren, not only from his own Lodge, but also from the Craft at large. He was a Past District Deputy Grand Master and a Past Junior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. For years, starting in September and continuing through the winter, Brother Staples would fill up his auto with Brothers nearly every night and visit some Lodge. He was well known all over the State, and his worth as a Mason came to the attention of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, for in 1924 he was elected Junior Grand Warden of that Grand Body. In his own Lodge, he served as its Worshipful Master, and later as its Marshal for a good many years; he also served on the Charity Committee.
Right Worshipful Robert J. McKechnie has served Alfred Baylies as its Master, and as its Treasurer for a number of years. In the Grand Lodge, he served as Grand Standard Bearer in 1925, by appointment of Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell, Grand Master. In 1926-27 and 1928 he served as Grand Marshal by appointment of Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson, Grand Master. In 1929, he served as Senior Grand Warden by the unanimous vote of his Brethren. In 1932-33 and 1934, he again answered the call and served as Grand Marshal by appointment of Most Worshipful Curtis Chipman, Grand Master.
During the years, we have had the honor of receiving a number of prominent Masons, among whom were Right Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell, who at the time he visited us was Deputy Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts; and Right Worshipful Curtis Chipman, who was also Deputy Grand Master at the time of his visit. In 1926, we were honored by having Most Worshipful Grand Master Frank L. Simpson visit our Lodge, and it is recorded that his address of the evening was most interesting and inspiring.
During the year 1925 we had one particularly impressive evening—the night that Worshipful Brother Herbert C. Wood installed his son, Frank, as Master of this Lodge.
Another Past Master deserves mention — Worshipful Brother William Mann, who had two sons, Winthrop and Stuart, both of whom have been very prominent in Alfred Baylies. Winthrop has been our Master for the current year; Stuart is the Master for 1942. These young men have done much to keep the name "Alfred Baylies" before the Masons in this District. They, like their father, are a credit to the Fraternity.
The Grand Lodge has honored three of our members by appointing them District Deputy Grand Masters — Right Worshipful Horatio Hall, George Wilbur and Arthur Staples.
Forty-nine good and true men have served as Masters of Alfred Baylies Lodge, and to these men great credit should be given for the success our Lodge has enjoyed.
In 1891, we passed our twenty-fifth milestone; in 1916, our fiftieth, and tonight seventy-five years are behind us. We have had our good years, also our poor ones, but with the spirit of our forefathers ever to inspire us, there is reason to believe that Alfred Baylies Lodge will continue to be a power for good in this community, as it has in the past.
CENTENARY HISTORY, NOVEMBER 1966
From Proceedings, Page 1966-267:
By Worshipful B. Stuart Mann.
The year 1865 was an important one for the one-year-old City of Taunton as well as for our Nation as a whole. On April 9, Lee had surrendered to Grant at the Appomattox Court House ending a bloody and costly Civil War. A few days later, on April 14, Abraham Lincoln met a martyr's death at Ford's Theatre. The transition from war to peace brought a new prosperity to the victorious North, but much was still to happen: the West was still to be won, and Custer was still to meet his match at the famous battle of the Little Big Horn, where he and 264 of his men lost their lives.
The new City of Taunton was enjoying a prosperity never before, or since, equalled. The south end of town, known as Weir Village, was no exception. Much of the activity centered around Taunton River and the fleet of schooners that called Taunton their home port.
Masonry in Taunton was also growing. Masons at Weir Village felt that the time had arrived, and that there were enough members of the Craft at the Weir to support a Lodge of their own. The closing months of 1865 saw the question being earnestly discussed. The first two matters of importance were a name and a meeting place. First a name. Dr. Alfred Baylies had long been an honored physician of the community, a member of King David Masonic Lodge and its faithful secretary for a long period of years. It, therefore, seemed only fitting and proper that the name of such a Brother should be honored and perpetuated Masonically. With his consent the name "Alfred Baylies Lodge" was unanimously agreed upon. It was also decided to hold meetings in the Staples Block at Weir Village.
The name having been selected and a place for meetings secured, a bit of history from the records of King David Lodge may be of interest.
"Nov. 29, 1865. A petition was presented to the King David Lodge by Sylvanus N. Staples, and twenty-seven members, for consent to establish a new Lodge at the Weir to be called Alfred Baylies Lodge." King David Lodge, the first one in Taunton, was unanimous in acceding to this request, but with deep regret.
After the release was granted, application was made to the Grand Lodge in Boston for a charter. A dispensation was granted by the Grand Lodge dated January 12, 1866, A. L. 5866. The first regular communication of the new Lodge was held in the Staples Block, Weir Village, Wednesday evening, January 31, 1866.
The District Deputy Grand Master at the time was John B. Baylies of New Bedford and he visited the Lodge twice during the year.
In passing it might be of interest to note that the Lodge was invited by the Deputy to a picnic to be held at Myricks Grove on St. John's Day in June, which was accepted. Nearly 100 years later on Sunday, May 16, 1965 the Lodge again traveled to Myricks, and with the other four Lodges of Taunton observed St. John's Day. From the records of Alfred Baylies Lodge: "After the five Masonic Lodges, King David, Alfred Baylies, Ionic, Charles H. Titus and Ezra had been opened, we proceeded to Myricks where a procession was formed at the Legion Hall and, escorted by St. John's Commandery, we marched to the Myricks Methodist Church. Rev. Bro. J. Michael Miller, Pastor, preached a very interesting and enlightening sermon on 'The Temple of God'." There was no picnic this time, but following the service, light refreshments were served in Grove Hall.
The Lodge prospered during the first year, holding thirty-two special and eleven regular meetings, received thirty applications for membership, and conferred the Third Degree on eighteen. A charter was granted by the Grand Lodge bearing the date of December 13, 1866, A. L. 5866, and bearing the names of the petitioners as charter members. (This charter is still in existence.) On January 9, 1867 the Grand Master constituted the Lodge and installed the officers with John H. Eddy as the first Worshipful Master.
The records show that a Bible was presented to the Lodge on August 5, 1868 by Wor. John H. Eddy in behalf of our worthy Brother, Dr. Alfred Baylies. The following resolutions were read and unanimously adopted:
- Whereas, it has pleased our worthy and venerated Brother, Alfred Baylies, whose name we bear as a Lodge, to present to us a copy of the Holy Bible.
- Resolved, that we accept the gift and in so doing assure the giver that whilst as true Masons we shall regard the Bible as one of the great foundation stones of our Order, we shall ever hold this particular volume in especial regard, borne to us as it is upon the good wishes and kindly sympathies of its esteemed donor.
- Resolved, that the secretary be requested to transmit to Bro. Baylies a copy of these resolutions."
The twenty-fifth Anniversary was observed in 1891 with a banquet and social. Wor. James R. Eddy was Master of the Lodge and Wor. W. F. Bodfish, chairman of the committee of arrangements. Of particular interest, in 1898, to the many sea-faring members of the Lodge was the news of one of the greatest disasters in Massachusetts maritime history. The steamer Portland left Boston in a howling snow storm, never to be heard from or seen again, and took 170 passengers and crew to their death.
The Lodge observed its fiftieth Anniversary in 1916 with a banquet and social. Wor. H. Stanley Wood was Master of the Lodge and Wor. E. O. Williams, chairman of the committee for arrangements. In 1921, the Staples Block at the Weir, where the Lodge had met since its inception, was sold. The new owners raised the rent to such an extent that in September of that year a committee was appointed to inquire about new quarters. The Taunton Masonic Corp. kindly invited us to use their apartments, uptown, at 76 Main Street. On January 8, 1922 the committee reported that the invitation of the Taunton Masonic Corp. had been accepted. The first meeting in the new quarters was held in March of 1922. To show off their new meeting place a Ladies' Night was held in June of 1922, which according to all reports was a very successful event.
The seventy-fifth Anniversary and social was observed in 1941. Wor. B. Stuart Mann was Master of the Lodge and Rt. Wor. Winthrop P. Mann, chairman of the program committee. Lodge opened in Masonic Hall at 76 Main Street, where the Grand Master and suite were received and then adjourned to the Taunton Inn where the banquet and remainder of the program was to take place. After joining the ladies at the Inn, a tragic event took place when one of the Grand Lodge Officers, Wor. Charles E. Flanders, Grand Pursuivant, dropped dead. The Grand Master, Most Worshipful Albert A. Schaefer, and his suite carried on like the real troupers that they were and the program proceeded on schedule.
For a number of years the Masons of Taunton had talked about, once again, having a meeting place of their own. The apartments at 76 Main Street were up three flights of stairs which, among other inconveniences, made it practically impossible for older members to attend meetings. The search for a suitable place finally narrowed down to a stone cottage on Winthrop Street. Constructed in 1831-32 by Joseph L. Lord, the city's seventh postmaster, it was later purchased by Francis Baylies in 1836. This same cottage, one of the city's oldest buildings and one closely allied to the history of Taunton's Masonic orders became the center of attention.
The property was purchased by the Taunton Masonic Temple Corp. in 1961. The front part of the original cottage was restored and a 94 by SO foot addition added. Ground breaking ceremonies were held Sunday, June 18, 1961 with Rev. Samuel Livingstone, a member of Ionic Lodge of Taunton and Grand Chaplain of the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, giving the invocation. Representatives of all of Taunton's Masonic orders participated in the ceremony. Taking part from Alfred Baylies Lodge were Wor. Russell M. Borden, chairman of the day's ceremonies, John L. Bell, Master of the Lodge and Winthrop P. Mann, a Past Deputy and also chairman of the advisory board of Taunton Chapter, Order of DeMolay.
Eugene Hawkins and G. Ward Stetson, District Deputy Grand Masters of the Attleboro and Taunton 28th Masonic Districts, spoke briefly. Richard Boyden, Master of King David Lodge, turned the first shovelful of earth.
On October 12, 1963, the new Masonic Temple was dedicated by Most Worshipful A. Neill Osgood, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts. Wor. Gerald DeCosta, Past Master of King David Lodge, was the building architect, and turned the building over to the Grand Master for his inspection. A service of dedication followed that will be long remembered by all present.
Many members have served the Lodge faithfully and with distinction over the years. To name a few, five Past Masters have served as District Deputy Grand Masters. They are Horatio H. Hall, George E. Wilbur, Arthur C. Staples, Winthrop P. Mann and Andrew J. Main.
Wor. George W. Barrows served the Lodge as chaplain for many, many years as did Bro. William L. Evans. Bro. Evans, for the first ten years as chaplain, never missed a meeting. Neither of these remarkable men was a minister, but both lived and exemplified the highest type of Christian character. Both were held in the highest esteem by everyone who knew them. Three other members who served the Lodge for long periods of time were Wor. Samuel B. Dobson who was secretary for over twenty-five years; Wor. Daniel W. MacDougall who served as treasurer for over twenty-seven years and Bro. Charles F. Woodland who was tyler of the Lodge for over ten years.
The Lodge has one fifty-year member and that is Bro. August Ewald, who is residing in Concord, New Hampshire.
The following is from a letter received from Secretary J. D. Went, P. A. G. D. C. of the Taunton Masonic Hall Management Committee, Taunton, England: "Congratulations on reaching your Centenary and fraternal greetings from your Brethren in Taunton, England. I hope that your Lodge will continue to prosper as ours do."
And so tonight as we stand at the pinnacle we can look back at a century of service and also peer hopefully into the future and with faith in God and man continue to strive to make this a better world in which to live based on those Masonic principles—the Brotherhood of Man and the Fatherhood of God.
- 1872 (Petition regarding charity, 1872-30)
- 1927 (At corner-stone laying in North Attleboro, 1927-187)
- 1929 (At corner-stone laying in North Attleboro, 1929-181)
- 1940 (Authorized reduction of fees, 1940-196)
CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, JANUARY 1867
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXVI, No. 4, February 1867, Page 100:
This new Lodge was duly constituted, under a charter from the Grand Lodge of this State, at Taunton, on the 9th of January last. The installation of the officers took place in the public hall, and was attended by a large collection of ladies and brethren. The Lodge is located in that part of the city of Taunton called Weir Village, and has been very prosperous during the past year. It is in the hands of zealous brethren, and promises to become a strong and healthy body. At the conclusion of the ceremonies, the company, to the number of about two hundred, sat down to supper together, and spent a pleasant hour in social enjoyment. The officers are as follows:
- John H, Eddy, W.M.
- Moses W. Bent, S.W.
- William E. Thrasher, J.W.
- Benj. H. Baker, Tr.
- W. H. Ingell, Sec.
- M. F. Pike, S.D.
- Charles F. Eddy, J.D.
- Benjamin B. Hathaway, S.S.
- Darius M. White, J.S.
- Hezekiah W. Luther, Tyler.
- William H. Merrill, Chaplain.
- Charles H. Prince, Marshal.
OFFICER LIST, OCTOBER 1873
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXXII, No. 11, November 1873, Page 352:
Elections. —Alfred Baylies Lodge at Taunton held its annual meeting on the 15th of October, and elected Bro. L. F. Talbot, Master; William D. Hatch, Senior Warden; William F. Bodfish, Junior Warden, and C. T. Eddy, Secretary.
50TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, JANUARY 1916
From New England Craftsman, Vol. XI, No. 4, January 1916, Page 136:
Alfred Baylies Lodge, Taunton, Mass.. observed its 50th anniversary January 12th with many prominent members of the order as guests.
Worshipful Master H. Stanley Wood presided at the banquet and Past Master Robert J. McKechnie was the toastmaster. The speakers were Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson, Grand Master; Rev. Edward A. Horton, Grand Chaplain; Rt. Worshipful Herbert A. Morton, district deputy grand master; Rt. Worshipful George H. Rhodes, past Grand Warden, and George W. Barrows. The latter gave a history of the organization.
The lodge was instituted Jan. 12, 1866, with James R. Eddy, WM; Mason W. Burt, SW, and William E. Thrasher, JW. The charter members of the lodge, which was the second formed in the city, were, with two exceptions, from King David Lodge.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Malcolm F. Borden, DDGM, District 28 (Attleboro), 1972, 1973; N
- Horatio H. Hall, DDGM, District 23 (Taunton), 1886, 1887; SN
- Andrew J. Main, DDGM, District 28 (Attleboro), 1958, 1959; N
- Winthrop P. Mann, DDGM, District 28 (Attleboro), 1943, 1944; N
- Robert J. McKechnie, Grand Standard Bearer 1925, Grand Marshal, 1926-1928, 1932-1934, Senior Grand Warden, 1929
- Arthur C. Staples, DDGM, District 28 (Taunton), 1921, 1922; Junior Grand Warden 1925
- George E. Wilbur, DDGM, District 23 (Taunton), 1900, 1901; SN
- Jeremiah Jones Whitmarsh, Memorial