Budleigh

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search

MA_Budleigh.gif

BUDLEIGH LODGE

Location: Beverly

Chartered By: Arthur D. Prince

Charter Date: 12/14/1921 1921-449

Precedence Date: 12/27/1920

Current Status: Active


NOTES


PAST MASTERS

  • Edgar S. Rideout, 1921-1922; Mem
  • J. Martin Jorgensen, 1923
  • Eugene J. V. Huiginn, 1924
  • Joseph D. Danforth, 1925; N
  • Hugo P. Peterson, 1926
  • Leo C. Demack, 1927
  • Walter H. Towne, 1928
  • Robert B. Hamilton, 1929
  • Charles C. Evitts, 1930
  • Prince Woodberry, 1931
  • Guy L. Baker, 1932
  • Albert Fenton, 1933
  • Irving F. Gould, 1934
  • William Lochhead, 1935-1936
  • Otto R. Haas, 1937-1938; N
  • Herbert H. Andersen, 1939-1940
  • Harry B. Patten, 1941
  • Frank A. Rhuland, 1942
  • Loren W. Copp, 1943-1944
  • Vassel A. Koban, 1945-1946
  • Norman L. Gardner, 1947-1948
  • William P. Sullivan, 1949-1950
  • Ernest J. Steen, 1951-1952
  • Raymond A. Patterson, 1953-1954
  • William A. Caldwell, Jr., 1955-1956
  • Harry F. Clarke, 1957
  • John G. Tagney, 1958; PDDGM
  • Louie S. Allen, 1959
  • Charles E. Furbush, 1960
  • Willis F. Quimby, Jr., 1961; N
  • Elmer W. Gamble, 1962
  • Wayne A. Shafer, Jr., 1963
  • Frederick R. Smith, 1964
  • Charles P. Cardani, 1965
  • Edward W. Packard, Jr., 1966
  • Neil Campbell, 1967
  • Roy A. Pierce, Jr., 1968
  • Harry A. Powers, 1969
  • John L. Cowan, 1970
  • Ernest M. Willis, 1971
  • Christophoros Galinos, 1972
  • Harry A. Powers, 1973-1974; N
  • Michael P. Kapantais, 1975
  • William W. Hemenway, II, 1976
  • Merle D. Phipps, 1977
  • Gary E. Galinos, 1978
  • Harold L. Racow, 1979
  • Stephen C. Kapantais, 1980-1981
  • Hugo V. Ascolillo, 1982
  • Donald M. Moran, 1983-1984
  • Gary E. Galinos, 1985
  • Willis F. Quimby, Jr., 1986; PDDGM
  • Ralph C. Zalkan, 1987-1988
  • Clinton S. Lurvey, 1989
  • William I. Webber, 1990
  • John A. Quigley, Sr., 1991
  • William E. Cohane, Jr., 1992
  • Lendell G. Foan, III, 1993-1994
  • Edward W. Packard, Jr., 1995-1996
  • Douglas F. Hulsman, 1997; N
  • Peter S. Cram, 1998
  • Thomas W. Brennan, 1999
  • Neal P. Packard, 2000-2001
  • Peter W. Packard, 2002-2003
  • Mason W. Russell, 2004-2005; PDDGM
  • Peter J. Van Twuyver, 2006-2007
  • Jerome V. Strazzulla, 2008-2010
  • Edward W. Packard, Jr., 2011
  • Neal P. Packard, 2012, 2013

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1921 precedence 12/27/1920
  • Petition for Charter: 1921
  • Consolidation Petition (with New Meadows Lodge): 2001

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1946 (25th Anniversary)
  • 1971 (50th Anniversary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1924 1926 1927 1937 1938 1948 1954 1956 1959 1960 1970 1971 1975 1984 1992 2003 2004 2007 2012

HISTORY

  • 1946 (25th Anniversary History, 1946-4; see below)
  • 1971 (50th Anniversary History, 1971-34; see below)

25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, JANUARY 1946

From Proceedings, Page 1946-4:

By Brother Arthur Rigby and Worshipful J. Martin Jorgensen.

It is very fitting that organizations like our own should pause as we reach recurring milestones and take a glance over the road already trod. It will be of greater interest, perhaps, to the members we have received into the Lodge in recent years to know something of the beginnings of this organization.

On March 29, 1920, the then Chaplain of Liberty Lodge, Brother Rev. E. J. V. Huiginn, presented a resolution to that Lodge asking the Brethren to take steps to form a new Lodge in Beverly. The resolution was not adopted by Liberty Lodge at that time, but on September 27th of the same year, Liberty Lodge sanctioned the establishment of a new Lodge.

The original petitioners were thirty-eight. Of this number, those still retaining membership on the occasion of our tenth anniversary were twenty-one. Six of the Brethren had died and eleven had dropped from the rolls for various reasons. It may be of interest to the Brethren to know how we derived the name of Budleigh. This Lodge was named after the home town of Roger Conant in Cornwall, England. The leader of the first settlers in Gloucester, Salem and Beverly wanted Beverly to be called Budleigh. It was thought fitting to perpetuate the name of his old home in England by calling the new Lodge Budleigh. Here are a few sentences from the dispensation granted by Arthur D. Prince, Grand Master of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts:

. . . hereby grant this Dispensation, authorizing and empowering our trusty and well-beloved Brethren aforesaid, to form and open a Lodge after the manner of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, according to the ancient customs, and not otherwise. . . . And I do hereby appoint Brother Edgar S. Rideout to be the first Master, Brother J. Martin Jorgensen to be the first Senior Warden, and Brother Eugene J. V. Huiginn to be the first Junior Warden of said Lodge.

R.W. Brother Rideout served the Lodge as Master in 1921 and 1922, the first year by appointment of the Grand Master, and the second year by election of the members. Brother Ride-out was also a Past Master of Phoenician Lodge of Lawrence and a Past District Deputy Grand Master of the Tenth Masonic District.

Thirty-six communications were held the first year of our existence and forty-six men were initiated. In the two year term of R.W. Brother Rideout, we met together as a Lodge fifty-six times and the membership increased to ninety-five. The names of the first officers were:

  • Edgar S. Rideout, Worshipful Master
  • J. Martin Jorgensen, Senior Warden
  • Eugene J. V. Huiginn, Junior Warden
  • Caleb B. Hood, Treasurer
  • Arthur Rigby, Secretary
  • Rev. William Emerson Jones, Chaplain
  • Charles H. Dudley, Marshal
  • Joseph D. Danforth, Senior Deacon
  • Hugo P. Peterson, Junior Deacon
  • Leo C. Demack, Senior Steward
  • Walter H. Towne, Junior Steward
  • Edwin M. Noyes, Inside Sentinel
  • Fred C. L. Allen, Organist
  • Fred B. Hodgdon, Tyler

Of these officers, the only one with a record of continuous service (not attendance) was the Treasurer. It looked like a hard winter for Brother Hodgdon, so he dropped out after a few meetings and Brother Benjamin F. Swasey took his place and for many years was our faithful and efficient Tyler.

Three other members who served the Lodge in an official capacity for many years were the three musketeers, Brothers Vose, Newell and George Gove, who were Trustees of the Permanent Fund. They performed this service willingly without pay.

At our third communication on Thursday, February 24th, 1921, Worshipful Harold C. Childs, Presiding Master of Liberty Lodge, presented this Lodge with a set of the Working Tools of Masonry as a gift from the members of his Lodge. Needless to say, the gift and the spirit which prompted it were greatly appreciated.

On June 16, 1921, the officers of Phoenician Lodge of Lawrence, of which R.W. Brother Rideout was a Past Master, paid us a fraternal visit and assisted in the work. A Past District Deputy Grand Master's Jewel was presented to Brother Rideout as a gift from the officers and members of Phoenician Lodge.

By far the most outstanding event was the constitution of Budleigh Lodge on January 12, 1922, by Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince and the Grand Lodge Officers. Following the ceremony of constitution, the officers were installed by the Grand Master, assisted by R. W. Olin D. Dickerman, R. W. Herbert W. Dean, R. W. Charles H. Ramsey, R. W. Frederick W. Hamilton, Wor. and Rev. Edward A. Chase and R. W. Dudley H. Ferrell.

On this same evening, a silk American Flag was presented to the Lodge by the first forty-four initiates, the presentation being made in their behalf by our then Chaplain, Rev. R. Ernest Bayes. The Grand Master accepted the gift in behalf of Budleigh Lodge.

Worshipful J. Martin Jorgensen was Master in 1923. One of his appointments, Brother Roy P. Hatch as Marshal, gave us an officer who always was willing to do those things which are for the best interest and upbuilding of the Lodge. Worshipful Brother Jorgensen also appointed another initiate as Inside Sentinel, Brother Glover W. Rogers. Brother Rogers went along to Junior Deacon and then took a position out of town and gave up.

Worshipful and Rev. Eugene J. V. Huiginn was Master in 1924. Brother Huiginn served Liberty Lodge as Chaplain for more than twenty years. He was a man of scholarly attainments and a writer of great ability. He was Pastor of St. Peter's Episcopal Church, this City. He was an author of many books — one, The Graves of Myles Standish and Other Pilgrims, is still recognized by authorities as being of historic value. Prose and poetry came to him naturally. He was also called upon to write the History of Liberty Lodge for its 100th Anniversary. This was published by Liberty Lodge under the title of Freemasonry in Beverly: 1779-1924.

In the early morning of May 2, 1924, a most disastrous fire occurred, completely demolishing the Masonic building at the corner of Cabot and Washington Streets. Through the courtesy of Bass River Lodge of Odd Fellows, we were offered the use of quarters in their building.

The membership at the end of the term of office of Worshipful Brother Huiginn was 123.

Budleigh Lodge has been most fortunate in the selection of men to serve as Master. They have all been conscientious—ever working for the welfare and interest of the Lodge.

Worshipful Joseph D. Danforth was Master in 1925. Seven of the officers were men who were initiated in this Lodge.

  • Edwin McGill, Chaplain
  • Roy P. Hatch, Marshal
  • Glover W. Rogers, Junior Deacon
  • Robert B. Hamilton, Senior Steward
  • Charles C. Evitts, Junior Steward
  • Clinton R. Farr, Inside Sentinel
  • Guy L. Baker, Organist

On Thursday, January 8th, 1925, Brother Prince Woodberry, in behalf of the initiates of 1922, 1923 and 1924, presented to the Lodge a very fine silver square and compasses, expressing their appreciation of the privilege of becoming members of Budleigh Lodge.

Worshipful Hugo P. Peterson was Master in 1926. This year for the first time, we had a public installation. Brother Peterson was presented a gavel by his associates at the United Shoe Machinery Company. This gavel was made from a piece of walnut from the George Washington estate at Mt. Vernon. The presentation was made by Worshipful William H. Black.

Worshipful Leo C. Demack was Master in 1927. He was a most faithful member. With the exception of those communicay tions calling for Sunday services, he was always present at every meeting.

Cn Thursday, April 14, 1927, Brother Roy P. Hatch formally presented to the Lodge a set of officers' aprons — a gift from the members. This year also we had our first Past Masters' Night. This was held on Thursday, June 9th, and all of our Past Masters were present. The old timers did excellent work.

Worshipful Walter H. Towne was Master in 1928. The last of the Charter Members who started in line in 1921. The initiates were on his heels. The old guard was almost done.

On Thursday, March 8,1928, Worshipful Edmund G. Haskell, Presiding Master, and the officers of Liberty Lodge, were our guests and assisted in the work of the evening. I might say here that the members and officers of Liberty Lodge have been ever assured of a hearty welcome at any of our meetings.

The membership at the close of the Lodge year in 1928 was 135. Our cash resources were $2,075.59. The baby celebrated her eighth birthday in good financial condition and was getting real robust.

Worshipful Robert B. Hamilton was Master in 1929—the first of the initiates to be honored with that office. Brother Hamilton was installed Inside Sentinel January 24, 1924, and Worshipful Master, January 10, 1929. Worshipful Charles C. Evitts was installed Master in 1930. Both of these Brothers performed the duties of their office in a manner befitting the dignity of the Lodge and their work compares favorably with those Past Masters who have done such splendid work in the past.

Each Master, with the exception of Worshipful Brother Ride-out, has been presented a Past Master's Jewel from a grateful Lodge for services well rendered. We appreciated the services of Brother Rideout, but he was already getting round shouldered carrying his jewels around.

Budleigh Lodge has always been ready and willing to'do its share when called upon for funds for special reasons. We contributed in the old days to the Grand Lodge Rainy Day Fund. Brother Andersen later became Master, while Brother Rodd dropped out.

We made and are still making contributions to the George Washington Memorial. In 1927 we gave our share to the Mississippi Flood Relief, and recently to the Hospital, Juniper Hall, at Shrewsbury.

There are unwritten records of a Lodge in addition to those preserved by the Secretary—of friendships made within the walls of the lodge-room, associations formed, and of good influences that have gone forth from it in its lessons of faith and duty.

On the occasion of the tenth anniversary, Brother Arthur Rigby, who had been Secretary continuously since our beginning, wrote as follows: "And now Worshipful Master and Brethren, while we rejoice in the progress made during the past 10 years our joy is tinged with sorrow as memory brings to mind those who have passed to eternal life."

"They labored with us side by side —
Our Brothers!
The sun sank slowly in the Crimson West —
At sunrise we awoke, again to labor,
They have entered into rest."

During this short period of time, twelve members of Budleigh Lodge have passed from earth. Among them were many of our most devoted members. We miss them from our meetings, their greetings, their hand clasp and their wise counsel. One of our Past Masters is among their number, Worshipful and Rev. E. J. V. Huiginn, who was a Charter Member.

Having faithfully and efficiently performed the duties of Secretary since the beginning of the Lodge, Brother Rigby retired in 1930 and the duties were taken over by Worshipful Brother J. Martin Jorgensen, who continued the work for many years.

Worshipful Prince Woodberry was Master in 1931. He appointed Brothers Herbert H. Andersen and Norman H. Rodd. Brother Andersen later became Master, while Brother Rodd dropped out.

We were honored by a visit from Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson, Past Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, fit the April meeting in 1931. He assisted in the work by raising Brother George P. McDonald.

Worshipful Dr. Guy L. Baker was Master in 1932. This was a public installation. Brother Frank A. Rhuland was appointed an officer this year.

On April 26th of that year, Budleigh, with other Lodges of the District, held a joint celebration in Salem, commemorating the bicentenary of the birth of Worshipful George Washington. Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince was the speaker and music was by the Lawrence Square and Compass Glee Club.

A meeting not to be forgotten by Worshipful Guy L. Baker was held on May 12, 1932, when he raised his father, Brother Charles A. Baker, to the sublime degree of Master Mason.

Worshipful Albert Felton was Master in 1933. His appointments to office were Brothers Harry B. Patten and John P. Hilpert. Brother Patten later became our Worshipful Master; Brother Hilpert dropped out in 1938.

Worshipful Brother Felton, who was known to all as "Al," wanted to find out how the work of the first officers of Budleigh compared with the officers of 1933. He appointed R.W. Edgar Rideout to gather, if possible, all of the old timers for the purpose of working the Third Degree at the March communication. There were three absentees: Wor. Rev. Eugene J. V. Huiginn, departed, and Brothers Rev. William E. Jones and Edwin M. Noyes were located too far away to be with us except in spirit. Worshipful Brother Felton stated that the old timers had won.

On June 25, 1933, Divine Worship was held at the Unitarian Church, Beverly, in recognition of the 200th anniversary of the founding of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts. The Grand Lodge observed the anniversary by a great meeting in the Boston Arena on June 28th. Both of these ceremonies were largely attended by members of Budleigh Lodge.

Worshipful Irving F. Gould was Master in 1934. He appointed Brother Loren W. Copp to office. The March meeting will always be remembered by Worshipful Brother Gould, as he raised his son, Brother Calvin L. Gould, at that meeting.

Worshipful Irving F. Gould served as District Deputy Grand Marshal for this District in 1936-37. He served as Proxy to the Grand Lodge in 1935 and in 1936 he was elected Lodge Representative to the Board of Masonic Relief, still retaining that office.

Worshipful William Lockhead was Master in 1935-1936, at which time the Masters began to serve two year terms.

There was a public installation in 1935. Worshipful William Lockhead appointed Brother Samuel B. Crombie to office. Brother Crombie served faithfully for three years. He was then called to the Supreme Lodge above.

Worshipful Otto R. Haas was Master in 1937-1938. He had a public installation in 1937. Brother Neiland J. Douglas started in office at that time, but after serving for four years, Brother Douglas resigned as his work did not allow him the time required to continue. Worshipful Brother Haas also appointed Worshipful Rev. Irving W. Arnold as Chaplain. This added to the impressiveness of our ceremony. Rev. Brother Arnold left Beverly in 1939.

Notwithstanding the fact that the entertainment fund was not overflowing, Worshipful Brother Haas furnished interesting and instructive programs for our enjoyment.

Worshipful Herbert H. Andersen, the 16th Master, presided in 1939-1940. He likewise had a public installation the first year. Worshipful Brother Andersen's appointments were Brothers David Nicoll and Ernest W. Franklin. At his second installation he appointed Worshipful William Lockhead as Chaplain.

At that communication, November, 1939, Preble Lodge No. 143 of Sanford, Maine, were our guests. They exemplified the Third Degree ritual of the State of Maine.

They say one good turn deserves another! To show its truth, on December 9th following, Worshipful Brother Andersen rounded up his officers and several members, motored to Sanford, Maine, and showed the Preble Lodge members how the same degree should be worked in Massachusetts.

The Masters of the second decade labored as hard as those of the previous decade for the success and best interest of the Lodge. Their work was excellent as will be seen by the marks given Budleigh Lodge by the Grand Lecturer at the annual exemplifications of the degrees.

The custom of presenting a Past Master's Jewel to the retiring Master has been continued. On the occasion when Worshipful Brother Haas retired as Master, the practice of presenting a Past Master's Apron was begun. Worshipful Brother Andersen deserves much credit for initiating this practice.

The first appointment of a Past Master of Budleigh Lodge as District Deputy Grand Master was Worshipful Brother Joseph D. Danforth in 1936. He is also a Past Master of Caspian Lake Lodge No. 87 of Hardwick, Vermont, serving as Master in 1911. On R.W. Brother Joseph D. Danforth's first official visit to his own Lodge, he was presented a Past District Deputy Grand Master's Jewel. On his last official visit, which was in Budleigh Lodge, he had the pleasure of introducing to the Presiding Master a Suite of nearly one hundred, which was the largest accompanying a District Deputy Grand Master during that year.

Of the thirty-eight Charter Members, twelve had passed on and twelve had taken dimits on the occasion of the 20th anniversary. The membership at that time was 145.

Referring to the growing number of departed Brethren, Worshipful J. Martin Jorgensen, Secretary, wrote the following tribute:

"There are stars that go out in the darkness,
But whose silvery light shineth on.
There are roses whose perfume still lingers
When the blossoms are faded and gone.

"There are hearts full of light and of sweetness,
When no longer their life current flows.
Still their goodness lives on with the living
Like the souls of the star and the rose."

During these short ten years, Death has summoned twenty-two of our members and the golden gateway to the Eternal City has opened for their reception. Our first Worshipful Master is among their number, R.W. Brother Edgar S. Rideout. Our first Treasurer, Worshipful Caleb B. Hood, was also among that number.

Worshipful Harry B. Patten was our 17th Master.

On Thursday evening, January 9, 1941, Budleigh Lodge celebrated its 20th anniversary. We were honored by the presence of Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, Past Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, who constituted Budleigh Lodge and who expected to be with us on our 25th anniversary, as well as on our 50th.

Worshipful Frank A. Rhuland was installed as Master on December 11, 1941.

Two events immediately wrought considerable effect upon the conduct of Lodge affairs — the lesser being a fire in our meeting place, Odd Fellows Hall. Consequently, the public installation was held in the Danvers Temple and several subsequent meetings. The infamous attack upon Pearl Harbor that same week marked the entry of the United States into World War II. This event had a profound influence on the work of the Masters during the years that followed.

Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson, Past Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, paid us a fraternal visit at our March meeting and delivered an important message.

Our next Master, Worshipful Loren W. Copp, was installed on November 12, 1942. During his term in office, Budleigh Lodge, upon request, underwrote the amount necessary to make us a 100 per cent contributor to the Masonic Service Organization Military Fund.

Worshipful Brother Vassell Koban was installed Master in October, 1944, and continued to keep the Lodge out in front in its contribution to the war effort. At that time the membership increased to 156. Of these, the following were active in the Armed Forces:

  • Guy M. Fossiano, Jr.
  • Charles E. Furbush
  • Albert K. Goodwin
  • Gordon J. Goodwin
  • Calvin L. Gould
  • Nathaniel H. Hardenbrook, Jr.
  • George D. Hurd
  • William Lithgow
  • Melvin A. MacFarlane
  • David Nicoll
  • Donald N. Reinhold
  • Norman H. Shepard

  • Alan T. Ward

Between 1941 and 1945, thirteen members passed on. Two of our Past Masters and two of our Charter Members were among their number.

"Their toil is past, their work is done,
And they are wholly blest.
They fought the fight, the victory won,
And entered into rest."

50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, JANUARY 1971

From Proceedings, Page 1971-34:

By Worshipful Wayne A. Shafer, Jr.

Budleigh Lodge is proud, as an organization, to have so many present to celebrate this occasion, our Fiftieth Anniversary. In terms of years, fifty is not a particularly large span of time, yet it has been a half century of significant change in our nation and the world. In 1921 we had just emerged from the first World War and we were entering a period referred to as normalcy. We had ended a great conflict that we were led to believe was a war to end all wars. Lasting peace, security and happiness was to be our destiny. Masonry was thriving with membership, activity and enthusiasm at an all time high. Such was the situation fifty years ago when Budleigh Lodge obtain its charter.

On March 29, 1920, the then Chaplain of Liberty Lodge, Brother and Reverend E. J. V. Huiginn, presented a resolution to that Lodge asking the Brethren to take steps to form a new Lodge in Beverly. On September 27, 1920 Liberty Lodge sanctioned the establishment of what was to become Budleigh Lodge.

It will be of interest to the Brethren to learn why the name was selected. Our Lodge was named after the home town of Robert Conant, which is located in Cornwall, England. Roger Conant, the leader of the first settlers in Gloucester, Salem and Beverly wished to have Beverly named Budleigh. This was not to be. Thus it seemed both fitting and proper that we perpetuate in this hemisphere the name of Roger Conant's hometown by naming our new organization Budleigh Lodge.

The original petitioners numbered thirty-eight. From this group the first slate of officers were elected or appointed as follows:

  • Edgar S. Rideout, Worshipful Master
  • J. Martin Jorgensen, Senior Warden
  • Eugene J. V. Huiginn, Junior Warden
  • Caleb B. Hood, Treasurer
  • Arthur Rigby, Secretary
  • Rev. Wm. Emerson Jones, Chaplain
  • Charles H. Dudley, Marshal
  • Joseph D. Danforth, Senior Deacon
  • Hugo P. Peterson, Junior Deacon
  • Leo C. Demack, Senior Steward
  • Walter H. Towne, Junior Steward
  • Edward M. Noyes, Inside Sentinel
  • Fred C. L. Allen, Organist
  • Fred B. Godgdon, Tyler

The names of the remaining charter members are as follows:

  • Geo. H. Vose
  • Charles Prescott
  • Otis E. Dunham
  • Ralph K. Knight
  • Jas. Baxter
  • Frederick A. Webster
  • Geo. A. Gove
  • Samuel A. Gentlee
  • Geo. F. Young
  • C. Edwin Gove
  • Eugene J. Ray
  • Albert P. Butterworth
  • Geo. E. McCrary
  • Harold E. Hall
  • Arthur A. Furness
  • William L. Jenkins
  • John H. Newell
  • Andrew S. Ried
  • Walter A. Flint
  • William E. Alcock
  • John Pinkerton
  • William H. Black
  • Harry C. Smith
  • Geo. Warmington
  • Fred St. Linger

These were the Brethren who had the courage and conviction to petition for the formation of a new Lodge. Here is an excerpt from the Dispensation granted by Arthur D. Prince, Grand Master of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts:

". . . . hereby grant this Dispensation, authorizing and empowering our trusty and well-beloved Brethren aforesaid, to form and open a Lodge after the manner of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, according to the ancient customs and not otherwise .... And I do hereby appoint Brother Edgar S. Rideout to be the first Master, Brother J. Martin Jorgensen to be the first Senior Warden, and Brother Eugene J. V. Huiginn to be the first Junior Warden of said Lodge."

At the present time, fifty years later, only one charter member remains among us, Brother Ralph K. Knight. However, I am sure that there are some of us now who either met or were personally acquainted with these Brothers to whom we owe such a debt of gratitude.

Right Worshipful Brother Rideout served the Lodge as Master in 1921 and 1922, the first year by appointment of the Grand Master, and the second year by election of the members. Brother Rideout was also a Past Master of Phoenician Lodge of Lawrence, and a Past District Deputy Grand Master of the Tenth Masonic District.

Thirty-six communications were held the first year of our existence and forty-six were initiated. In the two year term of Right Worshipful Brother Rideout, the members met fifty-six times, and the membership increased to ninety-five.

At our third communication on February 24, 1921, Worshipful Harold C. Childs, Presiding Master of Liberty Lodge, presented Budleigh Lodge with a set of Working Tools of Masonry as a gift from the members of his Lodge. The gift and the spirit that prompted it were greatly appreciated.

On January 12, 1922 Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince and the Grand Lodge Officers constituted Budleigh Lodge. (1922 Mass. 1-4) Following the ceremony of constitution, the Officers of Budleigh Lodge were installed by the Grand Master, assisted by R. W. Olin D. Dickerman, R. W. Herbert W. Dean, R. W. Charles H. Ramsey, R. W. Frederick W. Hamilton, Wor. and Rev. Edward A. Chase and R. W. Dudley H. Ferrell.

On this same evening, a silk American Flag was presented to the Lodge by the first forty-four initiates, the presentation being made in their behalf by our then Chaplain, Brother and Rev. R. Ernest Bayes. The Grand Master accepted the gift in behalf of Budleigh Lodge.

The period from 1920 to 1929 was characterized by growth and optimism. By 1928, the membership had increased to 135 and the cash resources were $2,075.59. As described by our first Secretary, "The baby celebrated her eighth birthday in good financial condition and was getting real robust." During this time seven men served as Master of the Lodge, all of them being charter members. On June 9, 1927 we had our first Past Masters' Night and all the Past Masters were present. As reported in the records, "The old timers did excellent work."

Initially, meetings were held in the Masonic building at the corner of Cabot and Washington Streets. In the early morning of May 2, 1924, a disastrous fire occurred which completely demolished the building. Through the courtesy of Bass River Lodge of Odd Fellows, we were able to use the quarters in their building on Cabot Street where we remained until November of 1956.

The period from 1929 to 1941 was characterized by frugality and hard times. At the end of 1940, the membership stood at 145. It was during this time that a severe depression struck our economy which resulted in widespread distress. It should be recalled that social security had scarcely started and the numerous welfare agencies we now take for granted did not exist. As a result, the members of our Relief Committee spent considerable thought and energy at their task. With a minimum of publicity, they would take care of an overdue insurance premium or a grocery bill or delivery of a ton of coal in the dead of winter. This was help, aid, and assistance to many who had nowhere else to turn.

In 1929 the first of the initiates was installed as Master, namely Worshipful Robert B. Hamilton. In a manner of speaking, this marked the passing of the old guard. And these new initiates certainly had their work cut out for them. With a sharp decrease in candidates and very limited funds, the Masters were hard pressed to provide programs that would maintain the interest and regular attendance of the members. There were several noteworthy meetings held during this period but one in particular stands out. At the April meeting in 1931, Worshipful Prince Woodberry had made arrangements for Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson, Past Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, to assist in the work by raising Brother George P. McDonald, a personal friend of Most Worshipful Brother Simpson. Most Worshipful Brother Simpson presented himself to our Tyler, Brother Benjamin Swasey, but unfortunately did not bring his 1931 dues card. A regulation at that time stated that without a dues card, a visiting Brother could not attend a meeting. A discussion followed, but Brother Swasey remained firm and insisted that the regulation be obeyed. Finally, word was sent to Worshipful Brother Wood-berry who decided that, under the circumstances, Most Worshipful Brother Simpson should be admitted and the work of the evening proceeded.

The period from 1941 to 1946 was one of dramatic change for the Lodge, this being the years of World War II. Because so many line officers and Brethren were serving in the Armed Forces or engaged in essential industries, it was often difficult to fill the officers' chairs at many communications of the Lodge. And limited gasoline and tires made transportation difficult. Emphasis of the activities of Relief Committee was shifted to include the Masonic Service Organization Military Fund, to which Budleigh Lodge was a 100 per cent contributor. By 1945 the membership had increased to 156. Of these, the following were active in the Armed Forces:

  • Guy M. Fossiano, Jr.
  • Charles F. Furbush
  • Albert K. Goodwin
  • Gordon J. Goodwin
  • Nathaniel H. Hardenbrook, Jr.
  • Calvin L. Gould

  • William Lithgow
  • Melvin A. MacFarlane
  • David Nicoll
  • Donald N. Reinhold
  • Norman H. Shepard
  • Alan T. Ward
  • George D. Hurd

On January 10, 1946, a celebration was held in Odd Fellows Hall at 188 Cabot Street to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Budleigh Lodge. (1946 Mass. 1-14) After opening the Lodge and introducing the Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, Most Worshipful Brother Samuel H. Wragg, and his suite, the Brethren then motored to the United Shoe Machinery Country Club, McKay Street, Beverly, where the anniversary dinner and entertainment were held. After the Grand Officers with their ladies had marched into the hall to their respective places at the head table, the program opened with the singing of the "Star Spangled Banner. Following the invocation by our Chaplain, Brother and Reverend Leon G. Miles, a turkey dinner was served to approximately 200 guests.

The period from 1946 to 1960 was similar in many respects to the period from 1920 to 1929. We grew from 156 to over 330 members. And certainly we once again had high hopes that lasting peace, security and happiness was to be our destiny. This time prosperity lasted longer and in October, 1954, Worshipful Brother William A. Caldwell, Jr. appointed a committee to be associated with the subject "New Lodge Quarters". The outcome of this committee's efforts, in combination with similar committees from the other Masonic bodies in Beverly, was a new Masonic Temple located at 20 Washington Street, Beverly, Massachusetts. Our last meeting at Odd-Fellows Hall was held October 11, 1956. On November 8, 1956, Worshipful Harry F. Clarke opened Budleigh Lodge in its new home. On November 15, 1956, the new Temple was inspected, approved and dedicated by Most Worshipful Whitfield W. Johnson, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, with the assistance of the Grand Officers. (1956 Mass. 356-357)

Although moving to the new Temple was a noteworthy event in the history of Budleigh Lodge, the trend established after World War II continued until about 1960. In the period from 1960 to 1970, our membership remained essentially static at approximately 320. Also, the members moving through the chairs in this period, while remembering the depression, did not have to cope with the problems of the 1930 to 1940 era. •Ihus, in a manner of speaking, we saw history repeat itself. As in 1929, when one of the new initiates followed a Charter Member as Master of the Lodge, we again had an "old guard" displaced when members of a new generation began to arrive in the East during this period. The emphasis of our charitable activities shifted away from our Relief Committee toward the blood donor program, which started during World War II. Our late Brother Mollis Harrison and currently Brother Joseph Dedeo are to be commended for their most excellent service as chairmen of the blood committee. Any history could well give space to each Master's administration and the record of his achievements, since all have made a definite and lasting contribution to our Brotherhood. The glory that is theirs, however, has been and still is the privilege of service to their brethren. The written record of their deeds and devotion will always remain carefully preserved in the archives of the Lodge.

Three Brothers have served in the office of Treasurer. They are as follows:

  • Wor. Caleb B. Hood, 1920-1938
  • Wor. Prince Woodberry, 1938-1963
  • Wor. Louie S. Allen, 1963-

Three Brothers have served in the office of Secretary. They are as follows:

  • Bro. Arthur Rigby, 1920-1930
  • Wor. J. Martin Jorgensen, 1930-1960
  • Wor. Ernest J. Steen, 1960-

Four Brothers have served in the office of Tyler. They are as follows:

  • Bro. Fred B. Hodgdon, 1920
  • Bro. Benjamin F. Swasey, 1921-1945
  • Bro. A. Prince Gallagher, 1945-1967
  • Bro. Roger W. Hanners, 1967-

Four of our Past Masters have served as District Deputy Grand Master:

  • Rt. Wor. Edgar S. Rideout
  • Rt. Wor. Joseph D. Danforth
  • Rt. Wor. Otto R. Haas
  • Rt. Wor. John G. Tagney

In addition to those listed, many more have served faithfully on the numerous committees elected or appointed to implement our benevolent activities and regular Lodge functions. To each, let us say "Well done".

Fifty years have now passed since Budleigh Lodge held its first communication. Looking backward we can be thankful for our good fortune and the guidance we received from the unchanging landmarks of our craft. Looking forward, we cannot forecast the future with certainty. But we can look forward with faith in the tenets of our profession as Masons and hope that future generations do not lose sight of them. And certainly we can extend our charity to the new generations when we evaluate their efforts as well as being charitable when evaluating the efforts of the past.

(References used for this history consisted of Records of Budleigh Lodge, written accounts of our twenty-fifth anniversary, and personal interviews with our Brethren.)


EVENTS

CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, JANUARY 1922

From New England Craftsman, Vol. XVII, No. 4, February 1922, Page 148:

Budleigh Lodge of Masons was constituted at Masonic Hall in Beverly on January 15, with Masons in attendance from many of the North Shore lodges. The ceremonial was under direction of Grand Master Arthur D. Prince, and representatives of the Mass. Grand Lodge. A banquet was served, attended by over 200. Officers were installed as follows: Worshipful Master, Edgar S. Rideout; Senior Warden, J. Martin Jorgeson; Junior Warden, the Rev. E. J. V. Huiginn; Treasurer, Caleb B. Hood; Secretary, Arthur Rigby. The new lodge has a membership of 100.


GRAND LODGE OFFICERS


DISTRICTS

1921: District 9 (Gloucester)

1927: District 8 (Salem)

2003: District 10


LINKS

Lodge web site

Massachusetts Lodges