- 1 MILTON LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 OTHER BROTHERS
- 2.9 DISTRICTS
- 2.10 LINKS
Chartered By: Dudley M. Ferrell
Charter Date: 03/14/1923 1923-54
Precedence Date: 03/21/1922
Current Status: Active
Need list of living Past Masters
- George M. Rogers, 1922
- Amos A. Rideout, 1923
- Robert B. Cook, 1924
- Charles B. Hoxie, 1925
- Farquhar D. Carter, 1926; N
- Frank R. Forde, 1927
- George F. Bearse, 1928
- Paul F. Dudley, 1929
- Samuel H. Rogers, 1930
- Henry F. MacLean, 1931
- William C. Graham, 1932
- Albert C. Martin, 1933
- Andrew G. Lindbolm, 1934, 1935
- George H. Moodie, 1936
- James C. Kellsey, 1937; SN
- Everett L. Walker, 1938
- Francis C. Bates, 1939
- Frederick J. Randlett, 1940
- Charles H. Fletcher, 1941
- Walter L. Rosenquist, 1942
- John H. Bowie, 1943
- Walter W. Conley, 1944
- Clarence M. Frost, 1945
- Harold E. McManus, 1946
- Walter W. Stronge, 1947
- A. Gordon Howie, 1948
- Leonard H. Kenny, 1949
- Theodore F. Tuttle, 1950; N
- George E. Moodle, 1951
- Robert J. Roulston, 1952
- Walter E. Nichols, 1953
- Charles L. Graham, 1954
- Robert H. Stevens, 1955; N
- Royal C. Lincoln, 1956
- Frank P. Heller, 1957
- Harry F. Horning, 1958
- Carl E. Gruvman, 1959
- George E. Johnson, 1960
- Everett L. Walker, Jr., 1961
- Edward A. Marden, 1962; N
- Harry W. Shimmin, 1963
- Ivan E. Frank, 1964
- Lewis H. Larsen, 1965
- William A. Creighton, 1966
- H. Dean Wilkey, 1967
- Harvey F. Watkins, 1968
- Gordon B. Walker, 1969
- Marvin F. Huban, 1970
- Raymond R. MacNeil, 1971
- G. Russell Haven, 1972
- G. Bruce Walker, 1973
- Richard H. Duncan, 1974
- David P. Duncan, 1975; N
- Garfield W. Shupe, 1976
- Maurice G. Cuthbert, 1977; N
- Joseph J. Turner, 1978, 1979
- John T. Crosby, 1980
- James J. Rudzinski, 1981
- Mark B. Carlson, 1982
- William A. Creighton, 1983, 1988
- Burton G. Anderson, 1984
- Arthur A. Fill, 1985
- Donald R. Kaupp, 1986
- Robert Cruikshanks, Jr., 1987
- Norman W. Pearson, 1989, 1990
- Robert S. Creighton, 1991, 1993
- Ian A. Fyfe, 1992, 1994
- Carleton R. Peterson, 1995
- Kenneth E. Tolbert, 1996, 2001
- David B. Harte, 1997
- Paul J. Hiltz, Jr., 1998
- A. Richard Merrill, 1999, 2000
- Bruce E. Fought, 2002
- Paul F. Ricciardi, 2003, 2009
- Oreste Tramonte, 2004, 2010-2012
- Jeffrey E. Richards, 2005
- Barry D. Waldman, 2006
- Bruce E. Fought, 2007
- Lance P. Powers, 2008
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1923 (Ferrell; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication)
- 1924 (Ferrell; Ladies' Night)
- 1972 (Vose; 50th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1979 (Melanson)
- 1985 (Richardson; installation)
- 1994 (Lovering)
- 1997 (A. Johnson; 2 visits, including 75th Anniversary)
- 1999 (Bauer)
- 1947 (25th Anniversary History, 1947-93; see below)
- 1972 (50th Anniversary History, 1972-66; see below)
25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, APRIL 1947
From Proceedings, Page 1947-93:
By Brother William H. Hooper.
During the latter part of 1921, Brother Frank R. Forde of East Milton thought a good deal about having a Masonic Lodge for the benefit of the Brethren living in that part of Milton. At that time, Macedonian Lodge, located in Milton Village, was the only one in the town. It was found there were a large number of Masons who had become, or were becoming, inactive through having no nearby Lodge home; that the interest of these men in Masonry was being renewed through the local Masonic Club, whose membership of 126 showed thirty-three Massachusetts Lodges represented and seven from outside jurisdictions; that such men were worthy of and entitled to a Lodge. After consulting with Worshipful George M. Rogers, already a Past Master of two Lodges, it was decided to attempt to interest others in the idea and determine whether such a step would be advisable.
With the assistance of Brothers Robert R. Clark, Charles B. Hoxie, Henry E. Cowan, William H. Hooper, Rev. Harold S. Campbell, Farquhar D. Carter, Ralph V. Grandison, George F. Bearse and Paul F. Dudley, a petition was drawn up and 136 signatures obtained. A committee was then named, consisting of Wor. George M. Rogers and Brothers Frank R. Forde, Herbert Clark, Charles R. Piper and Robert Campbell, and a meeting arranged with representatives of Macedonian Lodge at the Masonic Apartments, 60 Adams Street, and held on January 29, 1922. Wor. Frederick A. Gaskins, then Master of Macedonian Lodge, presided. The movement was entirely friendly to Macedonian Lodge and the petition received their immediate approval and support.
The first meeting of the signers was held at the same apartments March 5, 1922, being called to order by Wor. George M. Rogers, who turned it over to Wor. Henry E. Hoffman of Washington Lodge as presiding officer. Seventy-eight of the signers were present. Right Worshipful Frank M. Weymouth outlined the necessary steps in order to gain dispensation from the Most Worshipful Grand Master, and concluded by nominating Wor. Brother Rogers to be first Master, and he was duly elected. The office of Senior Warden was filled by Rev. Amos Allan Rideout, then Chaplain of Macedonian Lodge, and that of Junior Warden by Bro. Robert R. Clark. After some debate, the name of Milton Lodge was chosen in preference to Philippia or Chickatawbut.
Another meeting was held on Sunday, March 12th, with the committee from Macedonian Lodge, and as representatives of the signers, the following were named: R. W. Frank M. Weymouth, Wor. William T. H. Salter, Wor. John P. Morgan, Wor. Henry E. Hoffman, Bro. William H. Hooper, Bro. Russell Swift and Bro. John A. Murray to complete negotiations. Attempts to find a location in East Milton proved unavailing and it finally was decided to take advantage of the generous offer of Macedonian Lodge, who extended the use of their apartments for six months without expense to us, which has proven of mutual benefit as evidenced by the friendly relations that have continued for twenty-five years.
The petition was sent to the Grand Lodge and Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, then Grand Master, granted dispensation and the Lodge was formally instituted on April 7, 1922, by Right Worshipful Arthur A. Lincoln, District Deputy Grand Master of the 4th Masonic District, accompanied by his Suite, Worshipful Rutherford E. Smith, Deputy Grand Marshal, Worshipful Frederick Reis, Deputy Grand Secretary, and Worshipful Henry E. Hoffman, Deputy Grand Treasurer.
The first officers of Milton Lodge were:
- George M. Rogers, Worshipful Master
- Amos A. Rideout, Senior Warden
- Robert R. Clark, Junior Warden
- Henry E. Cowan, Treasurer
- William H. Hooper, Secretary
- Rev. Harold S. Campbell, Chaplain
- Farquhar D. Carter, Marshal
- Charles B. Hoxie, Senior Deacon
- Frank R. Forde, Junior Deacon
- Ralph V. Grandison, Senior Steward
- George F. Bearse, Junior Steward
- Paul F. Dudley, Inside Sentinel
- Benjamin B. Gillette, Organist
- James Spencer, Tyler
The Charter Members, 134, among the largest presented to Grand Lodge up to that time, carried the names of:
- Wor. Fred W. Archer
- Leroy Arringdale
- Wor. Jesse B. Baxter
- Frederick F. Bean
- George F. Bearse
- Albert E. Benson
- Henry M. Blakeborough
- Alfred W. Bohm
- Oscar C. Bohm
- Charles Bradlee
- Henry F. Brierly
- Robert B. Brown
- Eben G. Brown
- Gustave J. Browne
- Lincoln Bryant
- Harry A. Butler
- Rev. Harold S. Campbell
- Winthrop L. Carpenter
- Estern F. Carder
- Farquhar D. Carter
- Raymond V. Chipman
- Ernest E. Choate
- Roland H. Choate
- Robert R. Clark
- Richard E. Colton
- Arthur Cone
- Charles C. Copeland
- Henry E. Cowan
- Robert Cruickshanks
- John W. Cummings
- Kenneth S. DeWitt
- Ernest L. Drew
- Paul F. Dudley
- Atwood P. Dunham
- Ernest E. Erickson
- William S. Esau
- Joseph A. Ewart
- Arthur S. Forbes
- Frank R. Forde
- Wor. Robert C. Foster
- George H. Fuller
- Benjamin L. Gardner
- Wor. Frederick A. Gaskins
- Frank A. Gibson
- Reuben Gleason, Jr.
- Louis V. Gosselin
- Walter E. Grabow
- Ralph V. Grandison
- Wade L. Grindle
- Leon P. Hallett
- Alan W. Ham
- Louis Harlow
- Leon R. Harvey
- George L. Hathaway
- Edwin W. Higgins
- Wor. Henry E. Hoffman
- J. Porter Holmes
- William H. Hooper
- Carl R. Horne
- Forrest E. Howes
- Charles B. Hoxie
- William C. Hoxie
- Clarence M. Hunt
- William H. Ilsley
- William Johnstone
- E. Prentiss Jones
- Charles O. Jordan
- Charles W.Jordan
- C. Fred Joy, Jr.
- Ernest G. Kauffmann
- Raymond C. Kelley
- George Kelly
- G. Frank Kemp
- William S. Kerr
- John M. Lamb
- William A. Lammers, Jr.
- William R. Landers
- Arthur C. Lent
- Howard C. Leslie
- David Liddell
- Andrew G. Lindbohm
- Ralph Lowe, Jr.
- James L. Maclary
- John R. Marr
- Fred Y. Marshall
- Harry B. McCormick
- Edwin F. Melvin
- John Miller
- James F. Mitchell
- Frank P. Morgan
- Harold P. Morgan
- Wor. John P. Morgan
- Wilbur H. Morrill
- Roy E. Moulton
- George S. Murray
- John A. Murray
- Horace F. Nason
- Wor. Olaf Olsen
- Ernest W. Osborne
- Fred A. Packard
- James C. Park
- Silas E. Parsons
- Henry F. Patterson
- George W. Prouty, Jr.
- J. Herbert Raymond
- Leonard P. Richardson
- Frederic L. Ripley
- Rev. Amos A. Rideout
- Charles A. Roberts
- William G. Roberts
- William G. Rodd
- Frederick K. Rogers
- Wor. George M. Rogers
- Charles W. Rollins
- William L. Rowell
- Fred N. Russell
- Wor. William T. H. Salter
- Harry G. Sawyer
- Frederick A. Schoenherr
- Fred W. Small
- William A. Smith
- Willard R. Smith
- Ernest C. Soulis
- Wor. Charles F. Spargo
- Arthur D. Sparrow
- James Spencer
- Hubert Standeven
- D. Morton Swift
- Jacob A. Turner
- J. Lee Turner
- Vernon J. Voye
- R. W. Frank M. Weymouth
- Charles H. Wood
- William H. Young
Following the institution ceremony, the Lodge commenced to function and its first applicant was Arthur Louis Coolidge, Treasurer of the United Shoe Machinery Company, and at whose raising October 13, 1922, a very large number of prominent Masons, Government and Army Officials were present, there being 95 Lodge members and 250 visitors. A committee was appointed in September, 1922, by Worshipful Master Rogers to draw up by-laws for the Lodge, namely: R.W. Frank. M. Weymouth, Wor. Henry E. Hoffman, Wor. Olaf Olsen, Bro. Robert R. Clark and Bro. William H. Hooper. These were accepted and subsequently approved by Grand Lodge.
Gifts which should be duly recorded were: Three Great Lights by Wor. Olaf Olsen, in the name of Gate of the Temple Lodge, of which he is a Past Master; Bookmark for the Holy Bible given by Bro. Henry E. Cowan; complete set of Working Tools by Bro. James L. Maclary; Stand of Colors, National and State, by Bro. Ralph V. Grandison, who also gave a gavel; Hour Glass, Grand Lodge jewels and complete set of regalia given by the Milton Masonic Club; a beautiful metal case for the charter, given by Wor. Charles H. Fletcher. The three original candles used when the Lodge was constituted were presented by Wor. Frank R. Forde, and the cabinet for them later was made by Wor. Brother Fletcher. The Lodge was duly constituted April 20, 1923, by Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell, assisted by his Suite of twenty-two Grand Lodge Officers:
- R. W. Claude L. Allen, as Deputy Grand Master
- R. W. Frank W. Dobson, Senior Grand Warden
- R. W. John A. Sullivan, Junior Grand Warden
- R. W. Charles H. Ramsay, Grand Treasurer
- R. W. Frederick W. Hamilton, Grand Secretary
- R. W. Frank H. Hilton, Grand Marshal
- Wor. Rev. Edward A. Chase, Grand Chaplain
- Wor. Rev. Paul Stirling, Grand Chaplain
- Wor. Charles N. Bowen, Senior Grand Deacon
- Wor. Ervin A. Eastman, as Junior Grand Deacon
- Wor. George E. Green, Junior Grand Steward
- Wor. William T. H. Salter, Junior Grand Steward
- Wor. Kimball W. Martin, Junior Grand Steward
- Wor. Royal T. Brodrick, Grand Sword Bearer
- Wor. George W. Chester, Grand Tyler
Also present were six Past Grand Wardens, three District Deputy Grand Masters, three Past District Deputy Grand Masters, ten presiding Masters and five Past Masters. There were present 119 members and 144 visitors.
On August 10, 1923, a special communication was called on account of the death of the President of the United States, Brother Warren Gamaliel Harding, who died August 2, 1923.
Military Night has been designated a number of times, and on one occasion, there were thirty-four different organizations represented, and on another, there were forty-nine.
On April 9, 1932, our tenth anniversary, we were honored by the presence of two Past Grand Masters, Most Worshipful Brothers Arthur D. Prince and Dudley H. Ferrell.
Dues of the Lodge were increased in 1930 from $6.00 to $10.00, and in 1939, the fee for the degrees reduced from $85.00 to $65.00.
It was a happy occasion on April 12, 1940, when we were privileged to have as our guest Brother Albert L. Knox of Mount Lebanon Lodge, who was ninety-five years young, and who recently passed on at the age of 102.
In May 1940, an added attraction was the raising of Bro. Elburt P. (Elbie) Fletcher, a member of the Pittsburgh Base Ball team, formerly of the Boston Braves. A large delegation put in an appearance, there being 140 visitors, among them ball players from both the American and National Leagues.
In 1941 we lost our beloved Tyler, Bro. Henry F. Brierly, who was in office for sixteen years and was very proficient in giving instruction to candidates on the lectures.
On the 20th anniversary of the Lodge, in April 1942, Wor. Brother Fletcher presented framed pictures of the Past Masters of the Lodge, and our senior Past Master suggested that they be "properly hung."
The night of February 9, 1945, was a tough one as a blizzard raged and all means of transportation were cut off. Nevertheless, there were forty-two sturdy members and sixteen loyal visitors who plowed through the snow in order that the Lodge might function.
The latest innovation for the Lodge was a public installation on September 27, 1946. A number of old timers were not particularly enthusiastic about having women present when the Lodge was open, but realizing that the world is progressing, and not wishing to appear too "stubborn," there was no objection raised, and later it was admitted to be a very successful affair.
The Lodge has been signally honored by the Most Worshipful Grand Master in appointing two from our membership as District Deputy Grand Masters — R. W. Farquhar D. Carter, 1929-1930, and R. W. James C. Kellsey, 1941-1942. We also share the pride of Rabboni Lodge of Dorchester in the appointment of R. W. Ralph Lowe, Jr. as District Deputy Grand Master in 1927-1928, and later as Deputy Grand Master in 1937, he being one of our Charter Members. Also R. W. William T. H. Salter of Dorchester Lodge, District Deputy Grand Master in 1929, was one of our Charter Members, and who died before his term expired. Our first Master, Wor. George M. Rogers, had previously occupied the East as Master in Belmont Lodge, 1908-1909, and Dorchester Lodge in 1913.
We should not forget to mention the valiant service performed by Bro. Charles F. Simmons who was Chairman of our Visiting Committee for many years and to whom the Lodge is very grateful.
During the war years, 1941-1946 dues of members in the United States Services were remitted. There were fourteen of them. The Lodge purchased a number of U. S. Liberty Bonds and supported the drive for funds for the Masonic Service Association, going "over the top" to the extent of 120%. Intercourse with many Lodges outside, as well as within our jurisdiction, has been carried on through courtesy degree work, to the mutual satisfaction of all concerned. The activities of the Lodge during these years have been varied and numerous. Many moving pictures have been shown on educational subjects and other films. The Boston Police Department brought films showing the scientific use of photography to prevent and detect crime. The Stirling Players (all members of The Lodge of Stirling of Malden) presented a short Masonic play which was extremely interesting, amusing and enlightening as to the manner in which work of a Lodge was carried on years ago. Many other forms of entertainment were presented, although the local Masonic Club takes care of that matter exceedingly well.
Attendance at church services of our Chaplains and other invitations received was not always as good as hoped for, but did indicate a desire to encourage such occasions.
Our first Treasurer, Henry E. Cowan, carried on for five years when he resigned on account of business. Bro. Ernest E. Erickson took over after him and has been in office continually since that time. Bro. William H. Hooper up to the present time is the only Secretary the Lodge has had and there is no doubt that he enjoys the work as it keeps him in close contact with the members whom he finds are the best possible friends a man can have. There are still thirty-five charter members remaining.
Throughout the years, the most successful meetings seem to have been held on Friday the 13th. We hold no superstitions against it.
At present the Lodge is experiencing its greatest activity since inception in adding to the membership and as, for the most part, the candidates are young men, there is undoubtedly a long and bright future, continuing and enhancing the reputation of Milton Lodge for the excellent work done by the officers and the loyal support of the members. Those of the Charter Members still with us may feel a justifiable pride when looking back over the early years with the hard and sometimes difficult problems encountered now realize the fulfillment of the hopes that their earnest work and faithful adherence to the precepts of our beloved institution would prove of inestimable value to the members and the entire community.
50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, APRIL 1972
From Proceedings, Page 1972-66:
By Right Worshipful Robert H. Stevens.
The history of Milton Lodge is more than a chronological listing ot times and events, dates and places. Its history was created by dedicated members. As all things have a beginning, our Lodge was conceived in another organization in this town known as the Milton Masonic Club. On April 13th, 1921, a group of Masons met in a hall of the then existing Sheldon Block in East Milton Square, where the South East Expressway now occupies that location. They met to form a club of Master Masons of the Town of Milton, whose purpose was "as a unit we might best work and best agree for and upon subjects of interest for the betterment of ourselves and the community". Their enthusiasm led to a series of Wednesday meetings. This club, now known as the Milton Mosaic Club, is still holding regular monthly Wednesday meetings, 51 years later. The records of this club indicate that in less than 10 months its membership had grown to 126 members from 42 different Lodges.
During the latter part of 1921, Bro. Frank R. Ford, a member of the club and MMacedonian Lodge, interested the club members in forming a new Lodge in the Town of Milton. It had been found that a large group of Masons had become inactive Masonically because they had no nearby Lodge home. The original idea was to form a Lodge to meet in East Milton, separate from Macedonian Lodge the only Lodge in town.
From the club archives comes the following record:
Jan. 23, 1922
EAST MILTON, MASS.
A special meeting of the Milton Masonic Club was called to order in the clubroom at 3:20 p.m. by Chairman Campbell. The meeting was opened by singing two verses of our National Anthem followed by all those present repeating the Lord's Prayer. The purpose of the meeting was to present to the club members the proposition of forming a Masonic Lodge to be known as Milton Lodge.
After discussing the matter for two hours and forty minutes it was agreed the proper action had been taken in arranging a meeting of the committee of the club with the officers of Macedonian Lodge to talk over the situation.
At 4:50 PM the meeting adjourned in order that those who did not already done so might have an opportunity to sign the petition. There were sixty present.
William H Hooper Sect'y.
The following week on Jan. 29th the proposed meeting took place. Wor. Frederick A. Gaskins, the presiding master of Macedonian Lodge, officiated. The committee presented the petition with more than 130 signatures thereon it was graciously and warmly received by the officers and members of Macedonian large needless to say it met with their approval and support.
The first meeting of the petitioners was held in Macedonian Lodge Apartments on March 5, 1922. Rt. Wor. Frank M. Windows outlined the steps to be taken in order to gain a dispensation from the Grand Lodge form a new Lodge. At this meeting the following officers were elected: Wor. Master, George M. Rogers of Dorchester Lodge; Senior Warden, Rev. Bro. Amos A. Rideout, Chaplain of Macedonian Lodge; Junior Warden, Bro. Robert R. Clark of Dorchester Lodge. Attempts were made to find a suitable meeting place in East Milton Square which proved unsuccessful. It was finally decided to accept the generous offer of Macedonian Lodge to use their apartments which had been graciously offered free of expense for six months.
The petition was sent to the Grand Lodge and Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, then Grand Master granted to dispensation for the new Lodge to be instituted. This was formerly done on April 7, 1922 by Rt. Wor. Arthur A. Lincoln, District Deputy Grand Master of the Fourth Masonic District. The petition had 134 signatures affixed on it and was at that time and may will be since the largest group of Masons in the state to ask permission to form a new Lodge.
The first master to preside over Milton Lodge was Wor. George M. Rogers who had been the master of two Masonic Lodges previously, Belmont Lodge in 1908 and Dorchester Lodge in 1913. The original officers were as follows: Wor. George M. Rogers, Worshipful Master; Bro. and Rev. Amos A. Rideout, Senior Warden; Robert R. Clark, Junior Warden; Henry E. Cowan, Treasurer; William H. Hooper, Secretary; Rev. Harold S. Campbell, Chaplain; Farquhar D. Carter, Marshal; Charles B. Hoxie, Senior Deacon; Frank R. Forde, Junior Deacon; Ralph V. Grandison,. Senior Steward; George F. Bearse, Junior Steward; Paul F. Dudley, Inside Sentinel; Benjamin B. Gillette, Organist; James Spencer, Tyler.
When the Lodge began to function, its first candidate for the degrees was Arthur L. Coolidge, the Treasurer of the United Shoe Machinery Company of Boston. At his raising on October 13, 1922, a great number of prominent Masons were present. Among the 95 Lodge members and the 250 visitors were many State and Government officials, high ranking Military personnel and Grand Lodge Officers. Since that time we have enjoyed a healthy vigorous growth.
The Lodge was duly constituted on April 20, 1923 by Most Worshipful Dudley H. Ferrell, Grand Master, assisted by 22 Grand Lodge Officers. (1923 Mass. 123-127) Several of the original gifts, still in use today, should be graciously acknowledged. The Great Lights of Holy Bible, Square and Compasses were given to us by Gate of the Temple Lodge, now meeting in Quincy. The "stand of colors", National and State flags were a gift of Bro. Ralph V. Grandison. A complete set of "working tools" were presented by Bro. James J. MacClary. The Milton Masonic Club, whose members are responsible for our conception, gave us a complete set of Masonic Regalia, collars and aprons. A beautiful metal case for the preservation of our charter was given by Wor. Charles H. Fletcher. There were 263 brethren present for this important ceremony.
The Lodge, having been formed so soon after the close of World War I, influenced the members to designate a number of our early meetings as Military Nights. At one such affair in our early years, 54 different Naval and Military Organizations were present. At our 10th Anniversary on April 9, 1932, we were happy to see in attendance two Past Grand Masters, Most Worshipful Brothers Arthur D. Prince and Dudley H. Ferrell. They were both Honorary Members of Milton Lodge.
The days of the depression of the 1930's were tragic for our Lodge as we lost many members. Membership dropped from 235 to 171. During those years, Wor. Bro. Andrew G. Lindbohm was prevailed upon to serve an additional term. He is the only Master in our history to have served two terms. The Masonic year 1938 — 39 was the first year that we did not have a single candidate and caused the Lodge to reduce the fee for the degrees from $85.00 to $65.00. In more recent years an attempt to increase the fees to $100.00 did not meet with the brethren's approval. The original dues were $6.00 a year and increased to $10.00 in 1930. They were again increased in 1964 to $12.00 and once more in 1966 to $15.00 which they are at present.
In May of 1940, Bro. Elburt P. Fletcher (Elbie) of the Pittsburgh Pirates of Baseball fame was raised by his father, Wor. Charles H. Fletcher. A large delegation of ballplayers from both the American and National Leagues came to witness the event. There were 140 visitors present. It was a night to be remembered. Many fathers have raised their sons in Milton Lodge beginning with our Senior Past Master, George M. Rogers. It is also worthy to note that three father-son combinations have become Past Masters of our Lodge and the Junior Warden, Bro. Bruce Walker, is the son of a Past Master. We must be doing something right to encourage such inspiration and dedication.
Until the year 1946, it was a custom of this Lodge to elect its officers at the annual communication in September, and then to install them that same evening. The first Public Installation took place in 1946 for Wor. Bro. Harold E. McManus. Since that time, the election of officers has taken place in June, and the Installations either in September or October. We have had many fine Public Installations in recent times with excellent ritual performed by our Past Masters.
The 2 Sth Anniversary Year was an outstanding series of events It proved to be the busiest one of our existance with 10 regular and 18 special communications. The average attendance for those 28 events was 56. Twenty-eight candidates had been raised to the third degree and two others had received their second. Most Worshipful Samuel H. Wragg, Grand Master, and a distinguished suite, assisted in the celebration which was held on April 11, 1947. (1949 Mass. 90-100) Twenty-five of the thirty-five living Charter members were present.
During the War Years of 1940-45, there were 14 members of our Lodge serving in the Armed Forces, with more than twice that number having sons or brothers also in the service. Due to gasoline rationing, the Lodge printed the local bus schedules in the monthly notices. The Masters urged those who could drive to pick up those who were unable to do so. Milton Lodge subscribed to the purchase of War Bonds as the Grand Lodge urged. The Grand Lodge also set up a service committee in behalf of the men in the service. The Museum in the Grand Lodge Building was converted into a service center and our Brethren took scheduled turns assisting and manning a seven day week. Meals were planned for third degree meetings without menus announced, since caterers could not foretell what would be available in those days of rationing. On several occasions, the Brethren complained of eating horsemeat. Needless to say, it was denied. Butter was not supplied for meals in those days.
During those years, the Grand Lodge urged all members to write to their men in the service. Our Secretary, Brother Hooper, complied with great enthusiasm. His voluminous correspondence in our files testifies to his dedication to duty.
Milton Lodge had three outstanding devoted members who supported the Lodge by twenty-five years or more of service in the same office. Bro. William H. Hooper served for thirty-years as Secretary; Wor. Charles B. Hoxie served as Marshal and Ritualist for twenty-five years; and Bro. Ernest E. Ericson as Treasurer for thirty years. The Lodge had caused to be struck special Jewels for these Brethren, and voted all three of them Honorary Membership. Truly the Lodge was blest with their continuous duties. In 1966, the same honors were accorded our beloved Chaplain, Rev. Bro. L. Clarence Schroeder.
For many years Father and Son Nights were a popular event for the members. The most outstanding one was held in February 1956 when the noted Arctic Explorer, Admiral Donald B. MacMillan, gave an exceptionally interesting talk, illustrated with movies of his polar expeditions. The banquet hall was crowded with more than 300 fathers and sons and special precautions had to be taken in order to insure the safety of the members and their guests.
In the spring of 1955, Milton Lodge joined with Macedonian Lodge and the Milton Mosaic Club in sponsoring a Chapter of DeMolay in the Temple. Since its beginnings many officers and members have served as Dad advisors and Board members supporting this worthwhile venture. Many of our members have served in equal capacity for the Milton Assembly of Rainbow for Girls, also meeting in our Temple.
Four of our Past Masters have been honored by Grand Masters by being appointed District Deputies of the 4th Roxbury Masonic District. Rt. Wor. Farquhar D. Carter served during 1929-30; Rt. Wor. James C. Kellsey, 1941-42; Rt. Wor. Theodore F. Tuttle, 1955-56 and Rt. Wor. Robert H. Stevens, 1965-66. Their performances in behalf of our Grand Masters were a credit to themselves and the Lodge. Two of our Past Masters have been Masters of the 4th Lodge of Instruction. Wor. Albert G. Martin and Rt. Wor. Robert H. Stevens. Although they served 25 years apart, the former in 1945 and the latter in 1970. The present participation and support of the Education Program by our Lodge is the envy of many. Our Chaplain, Bro. William J. Ogle, has been speaking at Lodges of Instruction for many years on several challenging topics. Our Past Master, Wor. Lewis H. Larsen, one of the State's leading blood-chemists, has put together a classic lecture on "Blood and Its Importance" which has been in demand at our Lodges of Instruction. Wor. William A. Creighton is now the Junior Warden of the 4th Lodge and Wor. Edward A. Marden has been lecturing to candidate classes. Rt. Wor. Robert H. Stevens is now a member of the Education Committee of our Grand Lodge. At one meeting of the 4th Lodge of Instruction, when he was an officer, Milton Lodge appeared with 47 magnificent members to support him. When challenged that this was a once in a lifetime event, Worshipful Brothers Larsen and Creighton returned the following month with 59 members as proof of Milton Lodge's interest in the programs.
Our Lodge quarters were once used as a movie house. The ticket office was under the present stairway leading from the second to the third floor. The main body of the auditorium was on the second floor now occupied by offices. The screen was placed where the Master now sits and the reason for the slanted ramps entering from the preparation room was because this was the floor of the balcony. The building had a considerable renovation during the 1964-65 season. This was the work of the Directors under the able leadership of Rt. Wor. Victor Thompson of Macedonian Lodge. Before the Walter Baker Chocolate Mills left the neighborhood, many a night the sweet smell of cooking chocolate would permeate the meeting.
Some of our finest meetings have been held on Friday the 13th, but not being a superstitious group, it has never affected us. We have had some inspiring evenings when our meetings have fallen on Good Friday and Armistice Days. We take a great deal of pride in our ritual and also in the fact that this Lodge is not run by Past Masters. We have a saying for such a situation. "A Past Master Should Never Be In The Way — Nor Should A Past Master Ever Be Out Of The Way." We prefer to be asked.
Milton Lodge has been most fortunate in having in its early days men who planned our finances well, for we are solvent with modest investments today. We shall ever be in our debt to our Treasurer of so many years, Bro. Ernest E. Ericson and several Past Masters, especially Wor. Paul F. Dudley. The financial condition of our funds has been periodically reviewed and Trustees are aware of the responsibility of funds committed to their care. In the matter of service to its members, Milton Lodge has taken care of its own.
For the past half century, we have enjoyed the most friendly and cordial relations with "the other lodge in town", Macedonian. When candidates were more numerous, we exchanged fraternal visits, conferring degrees on each others candidates. We shall ever hold them in affection. Two new occupants of our quarters, Zerubbabel and Algonquin Lodges, have been most welcome and we have extended to them the hand of Brotherly concern. As for our parent organization, the Milton Mosaic Club, our members are still active in it. At the present time all of their officers and executive board, save one, are members of Milton Lodge.
In conclusion, we are a happy Lodge; we are a healthy Lodge; and trust that the community finds us to be a friendly, helpful Lodge.
- 1939 (Reduction of fees authorized, 1939-252)
SPECIAL MEETING, OCTOBER 1922
From New England Craftsman, Vol. XVIII, No. 1, October 1922, Page 22:
Milton Lodge (U. D.), the baby lodge of the Fourth District, succeeded in putting on the biggest Masonic time that has ever been held in its home town when, at its fifth regular communication, Oct. 13, it entertained a crowd that was so large that over a hundred could not gain admittance, and which contained many notable personages in Massachusetts Masonic and political life. Worshipful Master George M. Rogers had let it be known that Louis A. Coolidge, treasurer of the United Shoe Machinery Company and a prominent figure in the political life of the state, would on that occasion receive his degree of Master Mason as a member of the first class to be raised by the lodge. In consequence a very large number of friends of Mr. Coolidge, as well as of the other four candidates, were present.
The special guests included Junior Grand Warden Olin D. Dickerman, of Abington, Grand Treasurer Charles H. Ramsay, of Weymouth, Grand Secretary Frederick W. Hamilton, of Cambridge, Grand Chaplain Rev. Edward A. Horton, District Deputy Grand Master Arthur A. Lincoln of the fourth district, and others; also Major General Clarence R. Edwards, former commander of the Yankee Division; Secretary of State Frederick W. Cook, Police Commissioner of Boston Herbert A. Wilson, Jay R. Benton, Republican nominee for attorney general and a nephew of Worshipful Master Rogers of Milton Lodge, and numerous others.
After the work, which included a charge by Joe Mitchell Chapple, editor of the National Magazine, Junior Grand Warden Dickerman complimented Worshipful Master Rogers and the other officers of Milton Lodge very highly upon the excellence of their work, and said that older lodges might learn something from Milton Lodge.
Two very pleasant incidents followed the regular work. One of these was the presentation to Milton Lodge by its Senior Steward, Ralph V. Grandison, of a stand of beautiful silk national and state colors. They were brought into the lodge room by a color guard of four members of Milton Lodge, veterans of the World War, in khaki. The other was the presentation to Brother Coolidge of a silver loving cup by its associates in the United Shoe Machinery Company. the presentation being made by Major Charles T.
75TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, APRIL 1997
From TROWEL, Spring 1998, Page 19:
Milton Lodge Celebrates
Milton Lodge, of Braintree, celebrated its 75th Anniversary on April 19, 1997. Originally chartered in Milton the Lodge now calls Braintree home. Most Worshipful Arthur E. Johnson, Grand Master, and a suite of Grand Lodge officers attended the ceremonies.
The evening began with the Raising of Bro. Gregory B. French by M. W. Bro. Johnson and the Grand Lodge officers. The Grand Master save a most moving and inspiring charge to Bro. French. Bro. French is the grandson of Wor. Robert Cruickshanks, Secretary of the Lodge.
Wor. Kenneth E. Tolbert, Master, R. W. Robert H. Stevens, P. S. G. W., M. W. Arthur E. Johnson, Grand Master, and R. W. Kenneth P. Lodge, D. D. G. M. Boston 4th District.
After an excellent dinner the Lodge reconvened with the Grand Master in the East for the presentation of three 50 Year Veterans Medals. Those being honored were Bro. Richard Hemstreet, Bro. Charles Hemstreet and R. W. Robert Stevens, P. S. G. W. All three Brothers were present for the Lodge's 25th Anniversary., The Grand Master thanked R.W. Bro. Stevens for his many years of service to the educational program; in Grand Lodge.
Wor. Kenneth E. Tolbert, Wor. George A. Archilles, M. W. Arthur E. Johnson, and R. W. Kenneth P. Lodge.
The highlight of the evening was the presentation of the Joseph Warren Distinguished Service Medal to a most deserving Wor. George A. Archilles. In the presentation M. W. Bro. Johnson praised Wor. Bro. Archilles for his accumulated service to Milton and Hesperia Lodges and to the community. The combined events made the evening one of treasured memories.
Wor. Kenneth E. Tolbert, Bro. Richard Hemstreet, Bro. Charles Hemstreet, M. W. Arthur E. Johnson, and R. W. Kenneth P. Lodge.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Farquhar D. Carter, DDGM, District 4 (Roxbury), 1929, 1930; N
- Maurice G. Cuthbert, DDGM, District 4 (Roxbury), 1985, 1986; N
- David P. Duncan, DDGM, District 4 (Boston), 2001, 2002; N
- James C. Kellsey, DDGM, District 4 (Roxbury), 1941, 1942; SN
- Ralph Lowe, Jr., DDGM, District 4 (Dorchester), 1927, 1928; Deputy Grand Master 1937; N
- Edward A. Marden, DDGM, District 4 (Roxbury), 1975, 1976; N
- Robert H. Stevens, DDGM, District 4 (Roxbury), 1965, 1966; Senior Grand Warden 1979; N
- Theodore F. Tuttle, DDGM, District 4 (Roxbury), 1955, 1956; N
- Norman W. Pearson, Biography