WilliamSutton

From MasonicGenealogy
Revision as of 14:27, 1 December 2013 by Hotc1733 (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

WILLIAM SUTTON LODGE

Location: Saugus

Chartered By: Charles C. Dame

Charter Date: 09/11/1867 VII-177

Precedence Date: 10/25/1866

Current Status: Active

NOTES

This lodge is named for William Sutton, who was Senior Grand Warden at the time it was chartered.


PAST MASTERS

  • George Henry Sweetser, 1867, 1868
  • Everett Houghton Newhall, 1869, 1870
  • John Roache, 1872, 1873
  • Charles Isaac Hitchings, 1874, 1875
  • Albert Henry Sweetser, 1876, 1877
  • George Cummings Stewart, 1878, 1879
  • Charles Herbert Sweetser, 1880, 1881
  • Henry James Mills, 1882, 1883
  • Amos Tapley Stocker, 1884, 1885
  • Benjamin Newhall Johnson, 1886, 1887
  • James Riley Hughes, 1888, 1889
  • Adam Clarke Newhall, 1890, 1891
  • Marion Victor Putnam, 1892, 1893; SN
  • Fred Clarke Newhall, 1894, 1895
  • William Everett Houghton, 1896, 1897
  • Thomas Pranker Parsons, 1898, 1899
  • John Dawson, 1901, 1902
  • Edward Bryant, 1903, 1904
  • Frank Samuel Sanders, 1905, 1906
  • Alvah Maximillian Norris, 1907, 1908
  • Edmund Stuart Willard, 1909
  • James Clinton Gerry, 1910, 1911
  • Herbert Merrill Forristall, 1912, 1913
  • Walter Lysander Clayton Niles, 1914, 1915
  • Harry Rines Stanbon, 1916, 1917
  • John Husler, Jr., 1918, 1919
  • H. Everett Ferris, 1920, 1921
  • 1922, 1923?
  • Harold Walter Coombs, 1924, 1925
  • Frank Ball Sloan, 1926, 1927
  • William Edgar Snow, 1928; N
  • George Augustus Burnham, 1929; N
  • Lewis Parker Sanborn, 1930
  • Kaler Alfred Perkins, 1931
  • Lewis Orrin Stocker, 1932
  • William Nason Dinsmore, 1933
  • Howard Elliott Shattuck, 1934
  • Crawford Hawkes Stocker, Jr., 1935
  • Paul Edmund Boyle, 1936
  • Laurence Frederic Davis, 1937
  • Herbert Preston Mason, 1938
  • Browning Winifred Rogers, 1939
  • Samuel Edward Gillespie, 1940
  • Frank Josiah Collins, 1941
  • Carl Herman Schiorring, 1942
  • Russell Robert Peterson, 1943
  • Benjamin Arnold Fullerton, 1944
  • George Harold Strath, 1945
  • Earle Winston Cousens, 1946
  • Robert Felton Collins, 1947
  • Tyler Claude Hall, 1948
  • Robert William Johnson, 1949
  • Theodore Francis Palady, 1950
  • James Ward Currier, 1951; N
  • Milton Waldo Chambers, 1952
  • William Henry Robinson, 1953
  • James Otis Smith, 1954; N
  • Kenneth Lester Covey, 1986
  • William Ernest Light, 1955
  • Ralph Brooks Orff, 1956
  • Raymond Egbert Morrison, 1957
  • George Arthur Smith, 1958
  • Wilfred Kimball Kenney, 1959
  • James Morrison Amero, 1960
  • Edward Emerson Elder II, 1961
  • Clayton Richard Foote, 1962
  • Sumner Coombs Widell, 1963
  • William Smith Perry, 1964
  • George Albert Carter, 1965
  • Reginald Lewis Morris, 1966
  • Warren Spence, 1967
  • Leonard Earle Card, 1968
  • Harland Payson Smith, 1969; PDDGM
  • Norman Glenn Clark, 1970
  • Alan Douglas McLellan, 1971
  • Ronald Clark Sawyer, 1972
  • Bruce Albert Carter, 1973, 2003, 2004
  • Robert Emery Tucker, 1974
  • Roy Louis Smith, Jr., 1975
  • Frederick Hilton Mills, 1976
  • William Allan St. Clair, 1977, 1993; PDDGM
  • David Bruce Smith, 1978
  • Edward Alexander Davey, 1979
  • Ronald John Marland, 1980
  • George Fromm Riddle, 1981
  • Robert Swazey Dalton, 1982
  • Peter Asher Miles, 1983, 1987
  • William John Macaulay, 1984
  • Philip Joseph Randazzo, 1985
  • Peter Crocitto, 1988
  • Earl White Ellis, 1989, 1994
  • James Edwin Donovan, 1990
  • Bruce Wayne Flashenburg, 1991
  • Russell Wilson Cutter, 1992
  • Charles Dana Lancaster, 1995, 1996
  • Mark Steven Gott, 1997, 2001
  • John Charles Lennerton, 1998
  • Malcolm Alex Hanson, 1999
  • Amos Franklin Cutter, Jr., 2000, 2005; DDGM
  • Philip Augustus Littlehale, 2002
  • Stephen Harold Belyea, 2006, 2009
  • Steven Paul Neth, 2010
  • Thomas Anthony Lima, Jr., 2011
  • James Vincent Virnelli, Jr., 2012, 2013

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1866
  • Petition for Charter: 1867

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1917 (50th Anniversary)
  • 1942 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1967 (Centenary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1870 1874 1875 1877 1878 1881 1884 1894 1907 1913 1920 1925 1927 1931 1945 1947 1949 1952 1954 1964 1977 1978 1989 1991 1996

HISTORY

  • 1942 (75th Anniversary History, 1942-215; see below)
  • 1967 (Centenary History, 1967-419)

75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1942

From Proceedings, Page 1942-215:

by Worshipful Herbert P. Mason.

There is much to be said in favor of the practice of preparing histories of our Masonic Lodges at stated intervals. They remind us that we of the present are but carrying on a work which others have begun; they lead the contemplative to view with admiration the achievements of our predecessors and they inspire us with renewed ambition to cherish and maintain the ideals of Freemasonry upon which our Lodges are founded. And so, after the passage of seventy-five years in the life of William Sutton Lodge, it is fitting that we tell again the story of its formation and growth, honor those who gave it guidance and review its accomplishments.

William Sutton Lodge owes its origin to the efforts of a group of Masons who desired to form a Lodge in Saugus and who in 1866 held several preliminary meetings for that purpose. The building in which these meetings took place still stands in the same location on the northwesterly side of Boston Street, between the East Saugus bridge and the railroad crossing. At that time Brother Charles I. Hitchings, who became our first Secretary, operated a stitching room on the second floor of that building, and it was in his quarters that the meetings were held.

The selection of a name for the proposed Lodge apparently occasioned little difficulty. Brother Harmon Hall, who was one of those active in the movement and was the first signer of the petition and by-laws, proposed the name of General William Sutton, of whom more will be said later in this narrative, and the suggestion being favorably received, Brother Hall was delegated to wait upon Brother Sutton and to obtain, if possible, permission to use his name. At a subsequent meeting, Brother Hall reported to the group as follows: He had called upon General Sutton and had made known to him the wishes of his Masonic friends in Saugus, to which the General had replied that if it was the sincere desire of his Saugus friends to adopt his name as that for the new Lodge, he would cheerfully give his consent. Brother Hall's report was at once accepted and the name adopted.

Favorable action on the petition to the Grand Lodge, which was prepared by Brother Franklin S. Phelps, resulted in the granting of a Dispensation to form and open a Lodge after the manner of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons. This was signed by Most Worshipful Charles C. Dame, Grand Master, and Right Worshipful Charles W. Moore, Grand Secretary, and was dated October 25, 1866. The thirteen Master Masons who signed the petition and to whom the Dispensation was issued were described as having been recommended as Master Masons in good standing by the Worshipful Masters, Wardens and Brethren of Mount Carmel and Golden Fleece Lodges, and were as follows:

  • Harmon Hall
  • Enoch T. Kent
  • Everett H. Newhall
  • Edward S. Kent
  • George Burrill
  • John Roache
  • Sebastian S. Dunn
  • Edwin H. Foster
  • Alfred W. Libbey
  • Jacob B. Calley
  • George H. Sweetser
  • George C. Stewart

  • Charles I. Hitchings

The first regular meeting under the Dispensation was held "at the Secretary's rooms" on Thursday evening, January 3, 1867, with the following organization, all of whom were present excepting only the Junior Steward:

  • George H. Sweetser, Worshipful Master
  • Everett H. Newhall, Senior Warden
  • Harmon Hall, Junior Warden
  • Jacob B. Calley, Treasurer
  • Charles I. Hitchings, Secretary
  • Edwin H. Foster, Inside Sentinel
  • George C. Stewart, Senior Deacon
  • Alfred W. Libbey, Junior Deacon
  • Osgood Peabody, Senior Steward
  • Edward S. Kent, Junior Steward
  • Enoch T. Kent, Marshal
  • John W. Skinner, Tyler

After the Dispensation had been read and accepted, eight applications for the degrees were received and referred to committees. According to the records, the Lodge closed "in harmony" at 10:10 o'clock.

The business quarters of Brother Hitchings were of course unsuitable for a lodge-room, and while steps for the formation of the Lodge were in progress, arrangements were made with Brother Hall, who was at that time engaged in erecting a large wooden building at the corner of Boston and Hesper Streets in Lynn, just beyond the East Saugus depot, to provide suitable accommodations for the Lodge in the third story. The work was pushed forward with dispatch and the building was completed and ready for occupancy by the Lodge at its second meeting under the Dispensation, held January 30, 1867. This building, which remained standing until recently, was named Sutton Hall and was occupied by the Lodge until late in 1882.

At a meeting held February 7, 1867, eight applicants were elected to membership. Of these, Albert W. Mugridge, Charles W. Newhall and Josiah Starr received the Entered Apprentice degree the same evening. These three, together with Benjamin F. Calley and George Houghton, were raised to the sublime Degree of Master Mason on May 11, 1867, this being the first occasion when the Master Mason's Degree was worked by the new Lodge under Dispensation.

A petition having been directed to the Grand Lodge, signed by the Brethren that a charter might be granted them, there was present at Sutton Hall on the evening of October 1, 1867, a full attendance of the officers of the Grand Lodge for the purpose of consecrating the hall and of instituting the Lodge. According to the Secretary's record of the proceedings that evening, the ceremonies were conducted in a very solemn and impressive manner by Most Worshipful Grand Master Charles C. Dame, assisted by other officers of the Grand Lodge, after which the officers, for the ensuing year were installed. The first officers under the Charter were the same as those who had previously served under the Dispensation, with the addition of the Reverend Pliny Wood as Chaplain. Brother Wood, who had first served"as Chaplain on February 1, 1867, was the Pastor of the East Saugus Methodist Episcopal Church from 1866 to 1868. After the installation, the gathering adjourned to Waverly Hall where about 175 persons sat down to a bountiful repast.

To quote further from the Secretary's records, at Waverly Hall "speeches and toasts by the Right Worshipful Grand Master Dame, the Right Worshipful Grand Secretary C. W. Moore, General William Sutton and others of the Grand Lodge contributed to the pleasures of the evening, making it a session long to be remembered."

Waverly Hall was situated at the northwesterly corner of Lincoln Avenue and Wendell Street, East Saugus. It was built in 1827 as the first church in East Saugus, on the site of the present church. In 1854 it was sold by the Church Society and was removed to the Lincoln Avenue location where it was used for fairs and entertainments. Many years ago it was again moved to Stocker Street, divided in halves and made into two dwellings.

It might be well at this point to refer to the curious circumstance that although the Lodge was regarded from the time of its inception as situated in Saugus, Brother Hitchings' stitching rooms where the preliminary meetings and first regular meeting under the Dispensation were held, and Sutton Hall where the Lodge regularly met until 1882, were both within the corporate limits of Lynn. There can be no doubt, however, that from the beginning the Lodge was regarded by everyone as a Saugus institution. The first petition to the Grand Lodge was for permission to form a Lodge "in the town of Saugus," the Charter gave authority to convene Masons "within the town of Saugus" and the Secretary's records for those years always began with the words "East Saugus" or "Saugus," followed by the date. In the report to the Grand Lodge of his activities for the year 1867, the Grand Master includes a reference to having instituted William Sutton Lodge at Saugus.

The first petition for the degrees received by the Lodge under the Charter was from Charles H. Bond, then age twenty-one years, and residing at Cliftondale, occupation cigar manufacturer. Evan Evans, who served as Tyler from 1887 to 1918, William Thomas and J. W. Kingsley were proposed for membership on the same night, and all four were elected at the following regular communication.

At a communication held on November 26, 1867, General Sutton presented the Lodge with a full set of jewels and officers' regalia, which are still in use. This was one of several occasions on which the cordial relations between the Brethren of the Lodge and General Sutton were exemplified. On March 18, 1869, the General presented to the Lodge an oil painting of himself. This portrait is well preserved and now hangs on the north side of the lodge-room. At the occasion of the installation of the officers on January 9, 1873, Right Worshipful Brother Sutton was presented by the members of the Lodge with a gold Masonic charm. Two years later, in January, 1875, he gave to the Lodge a beautiful and costly banner which was accepted with suitable resolutions expressing the thanks of the Lodge.

General Sutton was held in the highest esteem by the members of the Lodge and it may be well at this time to give a brief summary of his life. He was born at Salem on July 26, 1800, and during most of his lifetime was engaged in the tannery business and the shipping trade. He lived a life of most unusual activity and public service. He served for forty-five years as President of the First National Bank of Salem, declining re-election at the age of eighty. He was a Director of two insurance companies, was for twenty-five years Treasurer of the Essex Agricultural Society, during thirty years was head of the Salem Fire Department, and served in other capacities. He was for five terms a Representative to the General Court, was State Senator for two years and was a member of the Governor's Council. His keen interest in military affairs resulted in his becoming a Major-General in the U. S. Army during the Civil War. Being too old for active service, he was detailed to the Medical Department and received honorable mention at the close of hostilities for his services. In Freemasonry he became a member of Jordan Lodge in Peabody when he was twenty-two years of age. Later he became a member of Essex Lodge in Salem and held membership in and served in various Masonic organizations. In 1866 he was Senior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts. He received the Thirty-third Degree in 1862. By his will, he left his Masonic library to the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. The Lodge of Perfection at Salem and Sutton Royal Arch Chapter in Lynn were both named for him.

General Sutton's death occurred at Peabody on April 18,1882, when he was eighty-two years of age. A committee of William Sutton Lodge was appointed to attend his funeral and it was ordered that the lodge-room be draped in mourning for six months.

In those days it was seldom that a public building of any importance was erected that the Grand Lodge of Masons was not called upon to lay the cornerstone. Accordingly, we find that on October 17, 1874, a special communication was held for the purpose of attending the exercises of laying the cornerstone of the new Town Hall in Saugus. These ceremonies were performed by the then Grand Master, Sereno D. Nickerson, assisted by other distinguished officers of the Grand Lodge. Worshipful Brothers John Roache and Everett H. Newhall of our own Lodge served as Grand Stewards and Brother A. J. Dearborn acted as Architect.

On January 11, 1877, a charity box was presented to the Lodge by Brother Edward S. Kent. This resulted in the appointment of a committee at the next meeting to draw up a suitable by-law to provide for a charity fund and such a by-law calling for the election of Trustees of the charity fund was adopted May 10, 1878. In the many years' which have since elapsed, the Lodge has administered its charity funds with due regard to the purposes for which they have been provided and the wishes of those who have contributed.

In May, 1882, a committee was appointed to secure better accommodations. The records imply that another tenant desired additional space, but evidence outside the record indicates that the quarters were becoming unsuitable, owing to the offensive odors of the leather business being carried on by the tenant. Whatever the cause, the Lodge desired to make a change and in December, 1882, held its first communication in the building in which our present quarters are situated. That building was then known as "Sweetser's Hall," having formerly belonged to Charles A. Sweetser, but in 1882 was owned by Brother George A. Sisson and used by him for the conduct of a grocery business. The arrangement between the Lodge and Brother Sisson provided that the Lodge, through its committee, should superintend the work of planning, building and arranging the new quarters, including a remodelling of the building, and should take a lease for ten years at a rental of $250.00 per annum. Substantial alterations were made, including the abandonment of the pitched roof and the substitution of a flat one. The only entrance at that time was on the south side. Beginning with the communication held September 13, 1883, and ending with the meeting of February 14, 1884, this hall was referred to in our records as Sisson's Hall. In November, 1883, an appropriation was made for furnishing the lodge-room and $713.17 was expended for this purpose.

On February 22, 1884, the new hall was dedicated, with a public installation of officers, and the record of this special communication for the first time refers to it as Masonic Hall. The dedication ceremonies were conducted by Most Worshipful Abraham H. Howland, Jr., Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, and other Grand Officers. Worshipful Amos T. Stocker was installed as Master, succeeding Worshipful Henry J. Mills. A banquet was held, Brother Benjamin F. Calley read a history of the Lodge, a tribute was paid to the memory of Right Worshipful William Sutton and entertainment was provided for the members and their ladies. The presiding Masters of Mount Carmel and Golden Fleece Lodges of Lynn were among the two hundred who attended on that occasion, which was another notable event in the life of the Lodge.

Subsequent events affecting these quarters might here be related. Steps were taken in 1894 to purchase the Masonic Hall property, resulting in its acquisition by the Lodge in that year. In May, 1904, it was voted to build an additional room to be used as a preparation room and to install a fire escape, which was done at an expense of approximately $200.00.

On Sunday, January 28, 1906, in the early morning hours the building was partially destroyed by fire. After consideration of various proposed plans for alterations or rebuilding, it was finally determined to remodel the old building rather than to rebuild and $4500.00 was appropriated for this purpose. The new quarters were dedicated on December 20, 1906, by Most Worshipful John Albert Blake, Grand Master, accompanied by a large group of Grand Lodge Officers. Worshipful Edmund S. Willard was Master of the Lodge at the time of this ceremony.

In 1907 the mill property adjoining the lodge premises on the north side was destroyed by fire and it was only by the herculean efforts of the Fire Department that the Lodge building was saved. Suitable resolutions thanking the Fire Department for their services on this occasion were adopted and an entertainment and banquet tendered its members on May 22nd of that year.

Time does not permit us this evening to present the entire history of the Lodge and this recital is intended only to give an outline of its early days. A detailed history, which we hope may be prepared and printed for distribution at a later date, would of course refer to many of our Brethren who have contributed in various ways to the maintenance and growth of our organization.

OTHER

  • 1918 (Cornerstone laying of Saugus public library, 1918-62)
  • 2011 (Report on loan of bust of William Sutton, 2011-96)

EVENTS

CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, OCTOBER 1867

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXVII, No. 1, November 1867, Page 16:

This new and promising Lodge received its charter at the quarterly communication of the Grand Lodge in September, and was constituted in ancient form and with the usual ceremonies, on the evening of the 1st of October ultimo. It is located in the village of East Saugus, and in the midst of a growing and active population, affording a pretty certain guarantee, under proper management, of its future success; and that it will be so managed, the character and intelligence of the brethren composing its membership are a sufficient assurance.

We judge there were present to witness the ceremonies of institution, including the dedication of the hall and installation of the officers, not much less than a hundred and fifty brethren, among whom were large delegations from the two neighboring Lodges in Lynn, and in less numbers from other Lodges in the immediate vicinity. At the conclusion of these ceremonies a procession was formed, and the brethren marched to one of the large halls in the village, where a bountiful collation was spread for their refreshment, and where they passed an agreeable hour. Brief speeches were made by the Master of the Lodge, by the Grand Master, by Dr. Lewis, Gen. Sutton, (after whom the Lodge is called), Brothers Moore, Dadmun and others. The company separated at a seasonable hour, all feeling, we doubt not, that they had passed a pleasant and interesting evening. The officers of the Lodge are as follows : —

  • W. Master, George H. Sweetser
  • Senior Warden, Everett H. Newhall
  • Junior Warden, Harmon Hall
  • Treasurer, Jacob B. Calley
  • Secretary, Charles J. Hitchings
  • Senior Deacon, George E. Stewart
  • Junior Deacon, Alfred W. Libbey
  • Senior Steward, Osgood Peabody
  • Junior Steward, Edward S. Kent
  • Marshal, Enoch T. Kent
  • Sentinel, Edwin H. Foster
  • Tyler, John W. Skinner
  • Chaplain, Rev. P. Wood

GRAND LODGE OFFICERS


DISTRICTS

1867: District 2 (Charlestown)

1877: District 5 (Salem)

1883: District 7 (Lynn)

1911: District 7 (Malden)

1927: District 7 (Melrose)

2003: District 4


LINKS

Lodge web site stub

Massachusetts Lodges