MountSugarLoaf

From MasonicGenealogy
Revision as of 13:16, 2 April 2019 by Hotc1733 (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

MOUNT SUGAR LOAF LODGE

Location: South Deerfield; Deerfield (1944); South Deerfield (2008)

Chartered By: Everett C. Benton

Chartered By: Roger W. Pageau

Charter Date: 06/11/1913 1913-106

Charter Date: 08/09/2008 2008-109

Precedence Date: originally 08/26/1912

Current Status: Active

The Charter was revised in 1944 (Page 1944-170) to be located in Deerfield.

Merged into Mechanic's Lodge, 11/14/1989 (1989-120). This charter was restored in 2008 (2008-109). Precedence date is 2008.


PAST MASTERS

  • Richard J. Sickels, 1912
  • James Campbell, 1913; Mem
  • Chester D. Stiles, 1914
  • Henry A. Suitor, 1915
  • Philip H. Ball, 1916
  • Hiram J. Wood, 1917
  • Robert L. Savage, 1918
  • Clarence H. Fisher, 1919; N
  • Robert A. Slocombe, 1920
  • William E. Sanderson, 1921
  • Walter W. Sanderson, 1922
  • Conrad E. Getchell, 1923
  • George N. Moore, 1924
  • Roger A. Warner, 1925
  • George E. Clapp, 1926
  • Frank D. Hubbard, 1927
  • Ludwig P. Volz, 1928
  • Linwood J. Taplin, 1929
  • William B. Hayes, 1930
  • George W. Pomeroy, 1931
  • Frederick E. Rowe, 1932
  • Herbert H. Graves, Jr., 1933
  • Clifford A. Hubbard, 1934
  • Robert N. Goodyear, 1935
  • Harry E. Russ, 1936
  • Edgar R. Gillett, 1937
  • William L. Dickinson, Jr., 1938
  • Everett L. Fish, 1939
  • Hiram F. Battey, 1940
  • Donald P. Wells, 1941; N
  • Clement A. Rose, 1942
  • Gordon E. Sanderson, 1943
  • Carl A. Krohne, 1944
  • James S. MacFarlane, 1945
  • Frank R. Cutter, 1946
  • Ellsworth I. Graves, 1947
  • William H. Hume, 1948
  • George Chandler Clapp, 1949
  • Corwin H. Rose, 1950, 1969
  • Raymond G. Canning, 1951
  • Kenneth D. Dickinson, 1952
  • Robert A. Rowe, 1953
  • Norman J. Bleakley, 1954
  • Eugene N. Graves, 1955
  • John A. Rose, 1956
  • Roger M. Allis, 1957
  • Herman C. Southard, 1958
  • Frederick E. Rowe, 1959
  • John H. Steinert, 1960, 1961
  • Clarence H. Warner, 1962
  • Ernest G. Hamilton, 1963
  • Ronald H. Graves, 1964, 1984
  • Malcolm Siddell, 1965, 1986
  • Robert B. Rose, 1966, 1975
  • Edwin A. Rose, 1967
  • Wilfred J. Meunier, 1968
  • Alfred R. Malanson, 1969; N
  • Herman C. Southard, 1971
  • John R. Evans, 1972
  • Carlton F. Wells, 1973
  • Dudley C. Rose, 1974, 1979, 1980
  • Christopher Rose, 1976
  • Norman Young, 1977
  • John R. Toczydlowski, 1978
  • Gordon E. Sanderson, 1981
  • Porter A. Wells, 1982
  • David L. Bell, 1983, 1985; PDDGM
  • Richard P. Rosenthal, 1987
  • Walter R. Malanson, 1988
  • Gary E. Rosenthal, 1989
  • MERGED 1989; RESTORED 2009
  • Ronald H. Graves, 2009
  • John W. Gilman, 2010, 2011; PDDGM
  • John A. White, 2012; PDDGM
  • Richard T. Wedegartner, 2013, 2014
  • John T. Richardson, 2015

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1912
  • Petition for Charter: 1913
  • Petition for Restoration of Charter: 2008

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1937 (25th Anniversary)
  • 1962 (50th Anniversary)


VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1920 1923 1927 1931 1944 1949 1954 1967 1972 1974 1976 1984 1986 1989 2012

HISTORY

  • 1937 (25th Anniversary History, 1937-157; see below)
  • 1962 (50th Anniversary History, 1962-182; see below)

25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, SEPTEMBER 1937

From Proceedings, Page 1937-157:

by Wor. [George E. Clapp.

Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge has arrived at its twenty-fifth milestone and I shall endeavor to call to your recollection some of the most important happenings.

While this evening we are particularly interested in the founding and history of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge, I think it might be of interest to take just a moment and trace the origin anil development of Masonry in South Deerfield.

Contrary to the general belief, Masonry in South Deerfield was not born with the institution of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge. I he nearness and availability of Lodges at Greenfield, Conwav, and Amherst afforded ample outlet for the Masonic ambitions of residents of Deerfield, South Deerfield, Whatelv, and Sunderland for a long term of years, but the urge for a Masonic Lodge in South Deerfield, the central point of the villages mentioned, was here, though dormant, and became active in 1889 when a number of resident Masons gathered and discussed the forming of a Lodge. The first meeting was held on March 8, 1889. A Chairman and a Secretary were chosen and votes were passed as follows:

  • "To use the word 'Monument' for the Lodge name."
  • "That Wednesday evening on or before the full moon be the regular monthly meeting evening."
  • "That Brothers Coates and Martin be the committee to present the petition to the Morning Sun Lodge and the other Lodges whose jurisdictions are affected for their approval."
  • "That the Secretary notify all Masons in this locality not present at this meeting to meet in this place two weeks from this time to sign their names to the petition and to elect officers."

The second meeting was held on March 22, 1889 with fifteen brothers present. Officers were elected, and it was voted that the Lodge name be changed to "King Philip Lodge." Petitions to the Lodges at Conway, Amherst, Greenfield, Northampton, Montague, Haydenville, and Turners Falls were approved, but the Petitions to the District Deputy Grand Masters of the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Masonic Districts were returned without approval on May 25, 1889 and July 18, 1889 respectively. These are the only records availahle of the attempt to form a Lodge at that time. The records were preserved by Brother C. L. Hayden, Secretary of the meetings, and were presented to us in June 1925 by his son, Brother Harry H. Hayden, of Newport, R. I., a Charter member of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge.

The movement to form a Masonic Lodge in South Deerfield received a fresh impetus in 1912 when Richard J. Sickels, James Campbell, and Arthur G. Clapp called the members of the Masonic Fraternity of South Deerfield, Deerfield, Sunderland, and Whately to a meeting in this room on May 29, 1912. Petitions hail been presented to the Lodges at Conway, Greenfield, and Amherst prior to this meeting and had been approved. Officers were elected as follows: Richard J. Sickels, War. Master Arthur G. Clapp, Senior Warden James Campbell, Junior Warden A large majority of those present voted to call the new Lodge "Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge." A meeting night was decided on, and a committee was appointed to arrange for a meeting place. This committee later made arrangements to rent this room, then known as Chapel Hall, from the Congregational Church.

It was later found necessary to secure the approval of the Lodges at Montague, Turners Falls, and Shelburne Falls, which were unanimous in granting recommendations.

A Petition for a Dispensation to organize Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge was then sent to the Grand Lodge. This Petition was signed by sixty-five Master Masons. A Dispensation was granted on August 26, 1912, by M. W. Everett C. Benton, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts.

The first communication of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge was held on September 13, 1912. R. W. Brother L. L. Campbell and the officers of Jerusalem Lodge of Northampton were present, and assisted in a rehearsal of the opening and closing of the Lodge. The first regular communication was held on September 27, 1912, and six applications for initiation were received, four of which were later accepted.

During the year following Institution, Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge busied itself in perfecting its officers in the Masonic Ritual, increasing its membership, and responding as promptly and fully as it was able to all requests made upon it by the Grand Lodge in its endeavor to erect a sound Masonic structure worthy to be chartered. During this period ten regular and nine special communications were held. Besides the necessary details of securing quarters and furnishings, fifteen candidates were accepted, thirteen initiated, twelve passed, and eight raised.

We are indebted to Jerusalem Lodge for our Altar, presented on December 25, 1922; to Wor. Richard J. Sickels for the Three Great Lights; to Wor. Fred C. Hubbard, of Mount Orthodox, Lodge, for a gavel; to Wor. Hiram J. Wood for the Warden's truncheons and holders, which were made by him from a big elm, known as "Bloody Brook Elm" or "Tomahawk Tree," and to Brother Will F. Everett for the Low Twelve Bell.

The Charter was granted on June 11, 1913 and was signed by M. W. Everett C. Benton, Grand Master, Leon M. Abbott, Senior Grand Warden and Charles W. Schuler, Junior Grand Warden. The records of the Constitution of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge are as follows:

"On Tuesday evening, July 8, 1913, the M. W. Grand Master and members of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts were present for the purpose of constituting Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge."

"The ceremony took place in Masonic Hall at 8 o'clock with nearly all the members and many visiting brothers present, about 350 in all."

"Immediately after the ceremony the brothers were all escorted to Red Men's Hall where a banquet had been prepared by the Ladies."

"About 360 sat down to the tables which were well filled, and all had a very enjoyable time. After the banquet, several speeches were listened to, and a few songs sung."

"At 12:15 the party broke up, feeling very kindly disposed toward Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge."

The names of sixty brothers appear on our Charter, of which twenty-eight are members at the present time, and nine are now numbered among our Past Masters.

It is not my purpose to place special credit or recognition on any particular administration. It would be a difficult and tiresome task to review the accomplishments of each Master and his associates. The development of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge has been the combined efforts of twenty-five administrations, each giving unselfishly his best effort to carry on the fine traditions of his predecessors and seeking no other reward than the conscious satisfaction of having been permitted to give his time and energy to the service of his fellow man.

To our original sixty charter members, we have added 196, 20 by affiliation and 176 by initiation, and our present membership is 141. We have hail prosperous years and lean years. The past seven years have been very trying and sometimes discouraging, but our officers have met every situation with courage. We have raised at least one candidate each year. One year eighteen were made Master Masons, and two years there were seventeen raised each year.

The following have served Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge as Worshipful Master:

  • Richard J. Sickels, 1912-1913
  • James Campbell*, 1913-1914
  • Chester D. Stiles, 1914-1915
  • Henrv A. Suitor*, 1915-1916
  • Philip H. Ball, 1916-1917
  • Hiram J. Wood*, 1917-191S
  • Robert L. Savage, 1918-1919
  • Clarence H. Fisher, 1919-1920
  • Robert A. Slocombe, 1920-1921
  • William K. Sanderson, 1921-1922
  • Walter W. Sanderson, 1922-1923
  • Conrad E. Getchell, 1923-1924
  • George N. Morse, 1924-1925
  • Roger A. Warner*, 1925-1926
  • George E. Clapp, 1926-1927
  • Frank D. Hubbard*, 1927-1928
  • Ludwig P. Volz, 1928-1929
  • Linwood J. Taplin, 1929-1930
  • William B. Haves, 1930-1931
  • George W. Pomeroy, 1931-1932
  • Frederick E. Rowe, 1932-1933
  • Herbert H. Graves, Jr., 1933-1934
  • Clifford A. Hubbard, 1934-1935
  • Robert N. Goodyear. 1935-1936
  • Harry E. Russ, 1936-1937
*=Deceased.

We take pride in the fact that of our twenty living Past Masters all but two are active in the affairs of the Lodge, these two not now living within the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts.

The Past Master's Association was formed in 1913 and the first Past Master's Night was held on September 24, 1920, with all Past Masters present. Fourteen meetings have been held since that date, at eight of which all living Past Masters have been present.

Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge was honored in December, 1916, by the appointment of Wor. James Campbell as District Deputy Grand Master for the Fourteenth Masonic District. He served the Grand Lodge efficiently for two years. At his Official Visit to this Lodge on October 19, 1917, there were about 350 present, after which a banquet was served in Red Men's Hall, the principal speaker being Hon. Channing H. Cox. R. W. Brother Campbell also served as Em. Com. of Conn. Valley Commandery, Thrice Potent Master of Greenfield Lodge of Perfection, Sovereign Prince of Greenfield Council, Princes of Jerusalem, and Most Wise Master of Greenfield Chapter, Knights of Rose Croix. He was crowned an honorary member of the Supreme Council, thirty-third degree Masons on September 19, 1922. He died March 21, 1926 and was buried with Masonic honors.

After serving for one year as Master of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge, Wor. Clarence H. Fisher continued his Masonic activities in other bodies, and has served as:

  • Ex. High Priest of Franklin Chapter of Royal Arch Masons.
  • Rt. Ex. District Deputy High Priest for the Sixth Capitular District.
  • Ill. Master of Titus Strong Council of Royal and Select Masters.
  • Grand Steward of the Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters of Massachusetts.
  • Thrice Potent Master of Greenfield Lodge of Perfection.
  • Sovereign Prince of Greenfield Council, Princes of Jerusalem.
  • Most Wise Master of Greenfield Chapter, Knights of Rose Croix.

In December 1933, he was appointed District Deputy Grand Master for the Fourteenth Masonic District, and served for two years with efficiency and dignity. He has also installed the officers of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge nine times.

Wor. George F. Clapp has continued his activities by serving as Thrice Potent Master of Greenfield Lodge of Perfection, and is now serving as Sovereign Prince of Greenfield Council, Princes of Jerusalem.

I cannot pass by the list of those who have rendered efficient service to Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge without recognizing the following who have served as officers for over ten years:

  • Brother Wesley G. Rose, Treasurer 19 years.
  • Wor. Bro. George F. Clapp, 15 years; from Junior Steward to Master 6 years, Marshal 1 year, and Secretary for 8 years.
  • Wor. Bro. Linwood J. Taplin, 14 years: from Senior Steward to Master 6 years, Secretary 5 years, Chaplain 2 years, and Marshal 1 year.
  • Wor. Hiram J. Wood, 13 years: from Junior Steward to Master 6 years, and Secretary 7 years.
  • Wor. George N. Morse, 13 years; from Junior Steward to Master 7 years, Secretary 3 years, and Treasurer 3 years.
  • Brother George C. Lee, Tyler 12 years.
  • Brother George T. Roche, Tyler 12 years.

Three of our members, Brothers Edwin C. Fairbank, Myron W. Lee, and Wor. Richard J. Sickels have been presented with Veteran's Medals for fifty years of service to the Fraternity.

The idea that the Lodge should own its home was growing in the mind of many of the brethren, and in 1919 a committee, with Wor. Richard J. Sickels as Chairman, was appointed to investigate the purchase of this property for the Lodge. In June 1922, the subject was brought to the front when the committee reported that the Church Trustees would not re-lease the Lodge Room to us, but would consider an offer of $6000 for the property. On July 11, 1922 the committee recommended the purchase, and the Lodge voted that the committee be vested with plenary powers to form an incorporated company, sell stock therein, purchase the Chapel property and alter it as required. The Mount Sugar Loaf Masonic Building Association was incorporated July 26, 1922, and the building was purchased. During 1923 the lower floor was remodeled, a heating plant installed, tables, chairs, and dishes were purchased. In the Spring of 1935 the walls of the Lodge were cleaned, repaired and painted, the work being done by members of the Lodge. During the past year a new roof has been laid, and the grounds improved by several evening gatherings of the members.

Undoubtedly the most outstanding event during the past twenty-five years was the Regular Communication held on May 3, 1935, in the spacious and beautiful gymnasium of Deerfield Academy at Deerfield. This was the occasion of a visit to Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge of M. W. Brother Claude L. Allen, Grand Master, accompanied by 43 members of the Grand Lodge, for the purpose of raising his son, Claude L. Allen, Jr. and two other candidates. The chairs were all filled by the regular Grand Lodge officers, and the three candidates were raised by M. W. Brother Allen in a very impressive and dignified manner. At the conclusion of the work M. W. Brother Allen stated that he thought this was the first occasion of a Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts raising his son with the assistance of all the Grand Lodge Officers. He also said this was the "Happiest evening of his Masonic Life." About 515 Masons were present to witness the work and to honor our distincpiished guests.

This history now brings us to the occasion we are now celebrating, and we are extremely pleased to have M. W. Brother Allen and his Grand Lodge Officers as our guests again on this happy occasion.

In closing I desire to pay tribute to all those Brothers who have worked so hard to make this Lodge the success that it is today. We should be deeply grateful for the honorable past, but recognize that the story of its life has only begun. We have a responsibility to carry on. In the light of what has been done, and under the guidance of the Grand Architect, may we go forward with confidence and a firm determination to preserve and continue the high character of its achievements, increase the luster of its reputation and live nearer to the ideals for which the Fraternity stands. May Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge be a creditable monument to its founders, and as enduring as the mountain whose name she bears.

50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1962

From Proceedings, Page 1962-182:

By Right Worshipful George E. Clapp.

The space of fifty years seems a long time when looking towards the future, but in retrospect it seems much shorter and is within the memory of many who are here to assist us in celebrating the Fiftieth Anniversary of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge.

It was a source of pleasure to me to be asked to write this history, as I also wrote the records of the first twenty-five years for our program in 1937. I doubt if it often happens that the same person would write two accounts of a Lodge twenty-five years apart, but having served as the Lodge Secretary since 1929, the events of the last twenty-five years are probably more familiar to me than to anyone else.

Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge had its origin at a meeting in this room on May 29, 1912, previous to which petitions to the neighboring Lodges had been approved, and officers were elected consisting of Richard J. Sickels, Master, Arthur C. Clapp, Senior Warden, and James Campbell, Junior Warden. A large majority of those present voted to call the new Lodge "Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge." Arrangements were later made to rent this room, then known as Chapel Hall, from the Congregational Church. It has been our meeting place since that time. The building was purchased from the Church in 1922, and has since been held by the Mount Sugar Loaf Masonic Building Association, which was incorporated on July 26, 1922. At that time the building was remodeled, kitchen and dining equipment purchased, and a heating plant installed. We are indebted to the labors of many of our members for assistance in redecorating and performing many duties to keep the property in good condition, so that it would be a suitable meeting place for our many Lodge activities.

It may not be known by many here present that Masonry in South Deerfield was not born with the institution of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge. The nearness and availability of Lodges at Greenfield, Conway, and Amherst afforded ample outlet for the Masonic ambitions of residents of Deerfield, South Deerfield, Sunderland and Whately for a long term of years, but the urge for a Masonic Lodge in South Deerfield, the central point of the villages mentioned, was here, though dormant, and became active in 1889 when a number of resident Masons gathered and discussed the forming of a Lodge. The first meeting was held on March 8, 1889. A chairman and a secretary were chosen, and votes were passed as follows:

  • "To use the word "Monument" for the Lodge name."
  • "That Wednesday evening on or before the full moon be the regular monthly meeting evening."
  • "That Brothers Coates and Martin be the committee to present the petition to Morning Sun Lodge, and the other Lodges whose jurisdictions are affected for their approval."
  • "That the Secretary notify all Masons in this locality not present at this meeting to meet in this place two weeks from this time to sign their names to the petition and to elect officers."

The second meeting was held on March 22, 1889 with fifteen brothers present. Officers were elected, and it was voted that the Lodge name be changed to "King Philip Lodge." Petitions to the Lodges at Conway, Amherst, Greenfield, Northampton, Montague, Haydenville and Turners Falls were approved, but the petitions to the District Deputy Grand Masters of the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Masonic Districts were returned without approval on May 25, 1889, and July 18, 1889, respectively. These are the only records available of the attempt to form a Lodge at that time. The records were preserved by Brother C. L. Hayden, and were presented to us in July 1925 by his son, Brother Harry H. Hayden, a charter member of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge.

A petition for a Dispensation to organize Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge was sent to the Grand Lodge, signed by sixty-five Master Masons. A Dispensation was granted on August 26, 1912, by Most Worshipful Everett C. Benton, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, and the first communication of the Lodge was held on September 13, 1912. Right Worshipful Louis L. Campbell and the officers of Jerusalem Lodge of Northampton were present and assisted in a rehearsal of the opening and closing of the Lodge. The first regular communication was held on September 27, 1912, and six applications for initiation were received, four of which were later accepted. Of the sixty-five who signed as charter members, four are still living, and each has been honored with a fifty-year Veteran's Medal. They are Worshipful Chester D. Stiles, Worshipful Robert L. Savage, Brother Arthur W. Hubbard, and Brother Leon R. Stebbins. Nine charter members have served as Master of the Lodge.

The Charter was granted on June 11, 1913, and was signed by Most Worshipful Everett C. Benton, Grand Master, Right Worshipful Leon M. Abbott, Senior Grand Warden, and Right Worshipful Charles W. Schuler, Junior Grand Warden. The records of the Constitution of Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge are as follows: "On Tuesday evening, July 8, 1913, the Most Worshipful Grand Master and members of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts were present for the purpose of constituting Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge.

"The ceremony took place in Masonic Hall at 8 o'clock with nearly all the members and many visiting Brothers present, about 350 in all.
"Immediately after the ceremony the Brothers were all escorted to Red Men's Hall, where a banquet had been prepared by the Ladies.
"About 360 sat down to the tables which were well filled, and all had a very enjoyable time. After the banquet, several speeches were listened to, and a few songs sung.
"At 12.15 the party broke up, feeling very kindly disposed towards Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge."

Several outstanding events have taken place during our short life, but undoubtedly the most outstanding event was a Regular Communication held on May 3, 1935, when Worshipful Clifford A. Hubbard was Master, in the spacious and beautiful gymnasium of Deerfield Academy in Old Deerfield. On this occasion a visit was made by Most Worshipful Claude L. Allen, Grand Master, accompanied by forty-three members of the Grand Lodge, for the purpose of raising his son, Claude Leroy Allen, Jr., and two other candidates. The chairs were all filled by the regular Grand Lodge Officers, and the three candidates were raised by Most Worshipful Brother Allen in a very impressive and dignified manner. At the conclusion of the work, Most Worshipful Brother Allen stated that he thought this was the first occasion of a Grand Master's raising his son with the assistance of all the Grand Lodge Officers. He also said this was the "Happiest evening of his Masonic life." About 515 Masons were present to witness the work and to honor our distinguished guests.

Most Worshipful Brother Allen was also Grand Master at the time of our Twenty-fifth Anniversary on September 17, 1937, and was present with eleven other Grand Lodge Officers. Worshipful Harry E. Russ, Master, welcomed the Grand Master and his Suite. Prior to the meeting a dinner was served to about 150. Most Worshipful Brother Allen was later elected an Honorary Member of our Lodge, and he presented the Lodge with his picture in Grand Master's regalia.

A Past Masters' Association was formed in 1913, and the first Past Masters' Night was held on September 24, 1920, with all eight Past Masters present. Past Masters' Nights have been held almost yearly since that time, the last one having been held on February 7th of this year. Our Past Masters have been a loyal and faithful group, attending meetings often, and assisting whenever needed. Six sons of Past Masters have served as Master. They are Ellsworth I. Graves, George C. Clapp, Corwin H. Rose, Robert A. Rowe, John A. Rose and Frederick E. Rowe, Jr.

Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge has regularly supported the Twelfth Lodge of Instruction, and six of our Past Masters have served as Master. They are William B. Hayes, Harry E. Russ, Donald P. Wells, William H. Hume, Robert A. Rowe, and Herman C. Southard. During the last few years a few meetings have been held in the Gymnasium of the Frontier Regional School in South Deerfield, when guest degree teams have worked the Master Mason Degree on our candidates. The Nordic Club of Springfield, Anchor Club, and the Melba Temple Shrine Purple Degree Team have been our guests, and have presented the work in a most dignified and impressive manner before large groups of our members and members of nearby Lodges. On three occasions, dinners and entertainments have been presented at the same location, and have been greatly enjoyed by the many attending. All of these affairs have been preceded by dinners in the School Cafeteria.

During the years our membership has fluctuated with some lean years, and also many good years so far as candidates are concerned. Our membership rose each year from the Charter list of 60 in 1912 to 1928 when it reached a high of 188 members. The next fifteen years show almost a continual drop in members, and reached a low of 119 in 1943. Since 1943 we have grown slightly almost every year, and we now have a total of 146. The apex in candidates was reached in 1922 when nineteen were initiated.

It is not my purpose to place any special credit or recognition on any particular administration. It would be a difficult task to review the accomplishments of each Master and his officers. The development and success of our Lodge has been the combined efforts of fifty Masters, each giving his best efforts to carry on the fine traditions of his predecessors.

Several of our Past Masters have served as heads of the Collateral Bodies in Greenfield, four have served as District Deputy Grand Masters, two as Junior Grand Wardens, and two as Grand Pursuivants of the Grand Lodge. Three have been honored with the 33rd degree of the Scottish Rite. There are thirty living Past Masters.

  • Right Worshipful James Campbell presided in both the York and Scottish Rites, was District Deputy Grand Master in 1916-1917, and was crowned an honorary member 33rd degree on September 19, 1922.
  • Right Worshipful Clarence H. Fisher also served both the York and Scottish Rites, was District Deputy Grand Master in 1933-1934, and Junior Grand Warden in 1942. He received the Henry Price Medal in 1922.
  • Right Worshipful George E. Clapp served as head of the three Scottish Rite Bodies in Greenfield, was District Deputy Grand Master in 1946-1947, Grand Pursuivant in 1942, and Junior Grand Warden in 1951. He received the Henry Price Medal in 1951, and the 33rd degree on September 29, 1954. He has been a member of the Education Committee of the Grand Lodge for the past seventeen years.
  • Right Worshipful Donald P. Wells served as head of the three Scottish Rite Bodies in Greenfield, was District Deputy Grand Master in 1960-1961, Grand Pursuivant of the Grand Lodge in 1951, and received the 33rd degree on September 23, 1959.
  • Worshipful Clement A. Rose, and Worshipful Carl A. Krohne have also presided over two of the Scottish Rite Bodies in Greenfield.

I cannot pass by the list of those who have rendered efficient service to the Lodge without recognizing the following who have served as Officers for over ten years each:

  • Brother George C. Lee, 12 years as Tyler.
  • Brother George T. Roche, 12 years as Tyler.
  • Worshipful Hiram J. Wood, 13 years: Various chairs including Master six years and Secretary seven years.
  • Worshipful George N. Morse, 13 years: Through Master seven years, Secretary three years, and Treasurer three years.
  • Worshipful Linwood J. Taplin, 18 years: Various chairs including Master six years, Marshal one year, Secretary five years and Chaplain six years.
  • Brother Wesley G. Rose, 19 years as Treasurer.
  • Worshipful Herbert H. Graves, 33 years: Master eight years, Marshal one year, and Treasurer twenty-four years.
  • Right Worshipful George E. Clapp, 40 years: Various chairs through Master six years, Marshal one year, and Secretary thirty-three years.

Veterans Medals have been presented to Worshipful Brothers Richard J. Sickels, Chester D. Stiles and Robert L. Savage, and to Brothers Edwin C. Fairbank, Myron W. Lee, Delmar M. Jewett, Harry A. Hayden, Henry A. Field, Arthur W. Hubbard and Leon R. Stebbins.

Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge received a Citation from the Grand Lodge for Blood donations in 1960 and 1961.

This seems to bring us to the occasion which we are now celebrating, our Fiftieth Anniversary, and we are very pleased to have Most Worshipful Laurence E. Eaton, Grand Master, and his Grand Lodge Officers as our guests.

In closing I wish to pay tribute to all those Brothers who have worked so hard to make this Lodge the success that it is today. We are deeply grateful for the Honorable Past, but recognize that the story of its life has only had a start. We have a responsibility to carry on. In the light of what has been done in the past fifty years, and under the guidance of the Supreme Architect of the Universe, may we go forward with a firm determination to preserve and continue the high character of its achievements, increase the luster of its reputation, and live nearer to the ideals for which the Fraternity stands. May Mount Sugar Loaf Lodge be a creditable monument to its founders, and as enduring as the Mountain whose name she bears!

OTHER

  • 1944 (Revision of charter, 1944-170)

EVENTS

CONSOLIDATION, NOVEMBER 1989

From TROWEL, Summer 1990, Page 25:

The merger of Mt. Sugar Loaf Lodge of South Deerfield and Mechanics Lodge of Montague City, both in the Greenfield 14th Masonic District was held last Nov. 14th with the merged entity bearing the name of "Mechanics Lodge."

Prior to the formal ceremonies, a turkey dinner with all the fixings was served to approximately seventy-five Masons by the ladies of the Turners Falls Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star.

In a short but very impressive ceremony, M. W. Albert Timothy Ames, who was Grand Master at the time, conducted the ceremony and recovered the charter, records, property and regalia of Mt. Sugar Loaf lodge from the hands of Wor. Gary Rosenthal, Master. The charter was returned to the Grand Lodge to be kept in the archives, while the records and other property will remain in the archives of the new lodge. R. W. Winslow C. Wentworth, Sec. pro-tem, was escorted to the East where he informed the Grand Master that he had been unanimously elected an Honorary Member of Mechanics Lodge and presented him with a dues card.

Several of the Grand Master's suite were called on for remarks including: R. W. Jeffrey B. Hodgdon, Deputy Grand Master; R. W. Charles A. Lukas, Jr., S. G. W.: R. W. William G. Manchester, J. G. W.; and R. W. David L. Bell, D. D. G. M. of the Greenfield 14th District.

The Grand Master presented a Meritorious Service Certificate to Wor. Walter F. Marsh, and a Joseph Warren Distinguished Service Medal to R. W. Winslow C. Wentworth.

MountSugarloaf1990.jpg
Wor. Walter R. Marsh, P.M. of Mechanics Lodge and recipient of the Certificate of Merit; the Grand Master; R.W. David L. Bell, D. D. G. M., Greenfield 14th; and R. W. Winslow C. Wentworth, Distinguished Service medal recipient. (Photo and text credit: Wor. Walter R. Marsh)


GRAND LODGE OFFICERS


DISTRICTS

1912: District 14 (Greenfield)

1927: District 14 (Greenfield)

restored charter

2008: District 26


LINKS

Massachusetts Lodges