From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search


Location: Holliston

Chartered By: William Parkman

Charter Date: 12/13/1865 VII-39

Precedence Date: 02/14/1865

Current Status: Active


  • Edwin F. Whiting, 1865-1867
  • Benjamin F. Batchelder, 1868-1869
  • H. Eugene Leland, 1870-1871
  • Orrin Thomson, 1872-1873
  • George L. Sanborn, 1874, 1877
  • Charles C. Abbott, 1875-1876
  • Theodore E. Andrews, 1878
  • George M. French, 1879-1880
  • Ralsemon L. Partridge, 1881
  • Nathan W. Philbrook, 1882-1883
  • John D. Perkins, 1884-1885
  • Frank Cass, 1886-1887
  • Harrington C. Kingman, 1888-1890
  • George A. Bartlet, 1891
  • Joseph H. Morrill, 1892-1893
  • John H. Andrews, 1894
  • Jarvis B. Woolford, 1895; Mem
  • Josiah B. Parkim, 1896-1898
  • Fred C. Tenney, 1899-1900
  • Henry M. Cutter, 1901-1902; Mem
  • Watson P. Gage, 1903
  • Frank O. Young, 1904-1905
  • John E. Talbot, 1906-1907
  • George T. Robbins, 1908-1909
  • W. Eugene H. Phillips, 1910
  • Frank E. Travis, 1911-1912
  • Alden R. Newhall, 1913-1914
  • Clayton T. Joslyn, 1915
  • Arthur L. Pond, 1916-1917
  • Edgar W. Reemie, 1918-1919
  • James Inches, 1920-1921; N
  • Fred B. Wright, 1922
  • Howard S. Wells, 1923
  • Walter F. Wentworth, 1924-1925
  • William R. Phipps, 1926-1927
  • George V. Moody, 1928-1929
  • Joseph Henry Milligan, 1930
  • Thomas A. Gooch, 1931
  • Benjamin F. Barnes, 1932
  • Robert Briggs Peckham, 1933
  • Ernest Albert Smith, 1934
  • A. Maurice Merritt, 1935
  • Frank L. Pfeiffer, 1936
  • Lyle W. Orton, 1937
  • Norman S. McCallister, 1938
  • Edward A. Lund, 1939
  • Alden Leland, 1940
  • H. Gordon Weston, 1941
  • Edward S. Holbrook, 1942, N
  • Harold F. Ball, 1943
  • Charles H. Cole, 1944
  • Allan R. Bliss, 1945; DDGM
  • Ronald G. Robbins, 1946
  • J. Roger Harrington, 1947
  • R. Irving Blanchard, Jr., 1948
  • Henry A. Chesmore, 1949
  • W. Richard Phipps, 1950
  • Frederick F. Cole, 1951
  • Melvin A. Dill, 1952
  • David E. Richards, 1953
  • H. Gordon Weston, Jr., 1954
  • Norman R. Gillin, 1955
  • Charles D. Fisher, Jr., 1956
  • Lester C. Potter, 1957
  • William K. Jones, 1958
  • Norman H. Verkruysse, 1959
  • Gordon R. Raymond, 1960
  • Oliver A. Raney, 1961
  • Richard I. Mitchell, Sr., 1962
  • Frederick D.A. King, 1963
  • Wilbur A. Wraase, 1964
  • Charles M. Abraham, 1965
  • Raymond S. Withe, 1966
  • Donald J. MacKinnon, 1967
  • Martin A. Nitzsche, 1968
  • Douglas F. Barrows, 1969
  • Gilbert L. Schofield, 1970
  • Don C.H. Beebe, Jr., 1971
  • Douglas A. Brown, 1972
  • Albert T. Beedle, 1973
  • D. Craig Travers, 1974
  • Samuel P. Blake, Sr., 1975
  • Wallace R. Walker, 1976; N
  • Jack E. Anderson, 1977
  • David H. Higinbotham, 1978
  • Ralph D. Proctor, Jr., 1979
  • Joe M. Nelson, 1980
  • C. Alan Rowe, 1981
  • Carl E. Chellquist, 1982
  • Peter B. Low, 1983
  • Joseph T. Iwaniec, 1984
  • Brenton V. Schofield, 1985
  • Theodore A. Hatch, 1986-1987
  • Walter J. Waring, 1988-1989
  • John C. Mulhall, 1990-1991; DDGM
  • Robert A. Smith, 1992
  • Alan G. Schofield, 1993
  • Kenneth S. Boyd, 1994
  • Robert J. Pratt, Jr., 1995-1996
  • John M. Nelson, 1997-1998, 2007
  • Walter H. Hunt, 1999, 2006
  • James E. Tomasetti, 2000, 2010
  • Richard A. Casavant, 2001
  • Douglas D. Vickery, 2002, 2008
  • Louis R. Raneri, 2003
  • Scott D. Chalfin, 2004-2005
  • Jack M. Olson, 2007, 2009
  • Matthew S. Bowie, 2011, 2012
  • James L. Holmes, 2013, 2014


  • Petition for Dispensation: 1865 dated 12/14/1864
  • Petition for Charter: 1865


  • 1937 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1965 (Centenary)
  • 2015 (150th Anniversary)



1887 1896 1912 1917 1919 1923 1927 1937 1949 1952 1961 1965 1969 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1979 1990 1992 2003 2009 2012 2013


  • 1940 (75th Anniversary History, 1940-145; see below)
  • 1965 (Centenary History, 1965-228)


From Proceedings, Page 1940-142:

By Wor. Benjamin F. Barnes:

To perpetuate the achievements of men, who by their sincerity of purpose, instituted and maintained Mount Hollis Lodge through these past seventy-five years, is the ultimate reason for this gathering. It is in the fulfillment of this objective that we are now assembled in this ancient and venerable House of Worship; dear to some of you by the most sacred memories of childhood, dear to all of us as the Temple of Freemasonry in Holliston; and we fervently trust that no sacrilegious hand shall ever, for any purpose whatever, be laid upon its inviolable walls. It is my aim to tell you in the time which your patience will allow, something about the earlier days of this Lodge, which we have learned to love with filial devotion. As historians on previous occasions have stated, the Secretary's records of this Lodge are concise abstracts of its official acts, and beyond these one has to consult our older brethren, or draw upon imagination. Cicero is credited with the statement, that: "History is the Witness of Times, the Torch of Truth, the Life of Memory, and the Messenger of Antiquity." Thus as your historian on this occasion, I shall refrain from mental conceptions.

Let us visualize the time and place, when in 1864, a group of Master Masons conceived the idea of having a lodge established in their midst. It was an election year, plans were being made to push the Civil War to a glorious victory, nearly a million men were under arms; truly it was a strenuous time, money scarce, and prices high. Holliston at that time was a flourishing New England town, probably at its zentth as an industial town. Vast areas stretched from the main highways, the side streets which we are so well accustomed to were not laid out, Washington Street was a two lane road at the center of the village, with large elm trees in the isle of safety. The western lane was the straightaway for many a friendly horse trot. Where the bank now stands was a pond hole; where the Odd Fellows building now stands was a two and a half story) three tenement house; next to this was the Winthrop House. About where the present Hollis Hotel stands was Colburn Brothers store, over which was located the first Lodge-rooms of Mount Hollis Lodge. Across the street on the land now occupied by what we know as the Forbes block, was a building known as the "Beehive", in which was located a general store, the Post Office, and the dry goods store of Thompson and Whiting. On the land long occupied by the Andrews block, stood the building which now faces Central street, owned and occupied by Harry Adams at this time. In this building was the bank and a drug store.

It was in this setting that, early in the fall of 1864, a group of Master Masons met in the hall over Thompson and Whitings' store by virtue of a general invitation, extended to all resident Masons. The meeting was called to order by Brother Edwin F. Whiting, and duly organized by electing Brother Whiting President, and one Cassander Flagg, Secretary. At the first meeting of the groupr one Brother Johnson, a broker, was appointed as a committee of one to report at the next meeting upon the probable expense necessary to the formation of a Lodge.

Under date of October 10, 1864, the Brethren met in accordance with adjournment and listened to Brother Johnson's report, but the old records fail to state the contents of that report, or action thereon. However a committee was appointed to get the names of those Brethren willing to "bare" a proportional part of the expenses consequent upon the establishment of a Lodge. The next recorded meeting was held Saturday, October 15, 1864, when the group voted to hire a hall, and appointed a committee to attend to fitting up the same. A committee was also appointed to confer with, and obtain permission of Montgomery Lodge of Milford, to establish a Lodge in Holliston. A committee on bylaws as well as a committee of three to arrange for a temporary organization were also appointed. After this busy evening, with practically everyone assigned to some particular job, it was voted to adjourn to Friday night at 7:30 o'clock, and agreeable to that vote a meeting was held October 21, 1864. The record of this meeting, resembling a copperplate, written by E. R. Bullard, shows that this group voted to lease the hall over Colburn Brothers store at ayearly rental of $75. for a period of five years. The Brethren also expressed their choice of ofEcers at this time, and with two exceptions these men were later installed into office. I found among those early papers) a covenant, wherein the original members signed to join equally in furnishing the necessary amount of money or security, for the purpose of providing all that is necessary to establish and put such a Lodge in good working condition. This compact is not dated, nor have we any knowledge whether or not the Brethren were called upon to ante up.

In petitioning the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge for a dispensation, they gave as their reason for this request: "for the convenience of our respective dwellings, and other good reasons." They set the date of meeting as the first Monday of each month, to discharge the duties of Ancient York Masonry. A dispensation was granted to Mount Hollis Lodge, December 14, 1864, and Masonic tradition states that the Lodge was Instituted February 14, 1865, but no records are available to confirm or deny.

Mount Hollis Lodge at that date consisted of 72 Charter members, each one holding an office in the original organization. In order that the Brethren of this generation may have a mental picture of these pioneers, I submit a thumb-nail sketch of each as told me by one of our older Brethren.

  • Edwin F. Whiting, Worshipful Master; Dry Goods merchant; raised in Montgomery Lodge, resided on Church street, in the house now occupied by his daughter, Miss Alice P. Whiting.
  • Henry K. Packer, Senior Warden; Machinist; resided near the East Holliston Mills. Raised in The Massachusetts Lodge.
  • George F. Daniels, Junior Warden; raised in Montgomery Lodge, a Boot manufacturer, with factory located where the present Fire Station is located; resided in the house now occupied by Brother William McKeen.
  • George E. Johnson, Treasurer; raised in Montgomery Lodge, a Broker, resided on Quincy Place next house to Brother George E. Carr.
  • Stephen S. Nichols, Secretary; raised in Montgomery Lodge, a Bookkeeper, resided at the crest of the hill on Prospect Street.
  • Charles Cogswell Jewett, Chaplain; raised in Middlesex Lodge, a Surgeon with the 16th Massachusetts Regiment during the war; resided at the corner of Washington and Elm streets.
  • John Littlefield, Marshal; raised in Montgomery Lodge, a Bootmaker, resided at corner of Franklin and Central streets.
  • Henry S. Putnam, Senior Deacon; raised in Montgomery Lodge, a cotton manufacturer, at East Holliston; resided on Woodland Street.
  • Benjamin F. Batchelder, Junior Deacon; raised in Montgomery Lodge, a Boot manufacturer, resided at the corner of High and Washington streets.
  • James E. Taft, Senior Steward; raised in Montgomery Lodge, a Farmer, resided at what is now known as Linda Vista Farm.
  • Alfred Cutler, Junior Steward; raised in Montgomery Lodge, operated a Wood working shop; said to have resided at the present residence of Worshipful Brother Gooch.
  • Oliver White, Tyler, raised in Morning Star Lodge, a cobbler by trade, definite residence not recalled.

The first Communication of Mount Hollis Lodge was held March 6, 1865. This was the second day following Lincoln's second inaugural and the weeks that followed were of great historical significance, yet in the records of the Lodge, no mention is made of outside affairs. The Lodge applied itself to the making of Masons, meetings were held almost weekly, and during the first three years over fifty men were raised to the Sublime degree. It might interest you to know that in the record of members, the earliest date of birth is that of one Jeremiah Daniels Richardson, who affiliated with this Lodge May 6, 1867; he having been born at East Medway, April 13, 1796, and made a Mason in 1818.

The records of those early meetings indicate that four years passed before the Brethren felt they could take time out for a little sociability, and it is interesting to note that at the February communication, 1869, it was voted to invite the ladies to a party to be held Wednesday the 21st of February. A committee of five was appointed to assist the Tyler in providing a supper on their own responsibility. We have no record of the success or failure of this social affair; however later this same year a committee was appointed to arrange for a picnic, and report the following week. The committee reported on schedule, and it was voted, "Not to have a picnic."

In the early days of our Lodge, the Masonic burial service was not fully established, and we note in 1870 a special communication being held to appoint a committee to make all arrangements for such a service, and furnish refreshments if necessary. We have no knowledge as to whether refreshments were needed, and if so, as to type, as later records merely state, "services performed."

Mount Hollis Lodge occupied the Hall over Colburn Brothers' store until January, 1872, at which time more suitable quarters were engaged in the Andrews block. These new quarters were officially dedicated January 9, 1872, by Right Worshipful George E. Stacy and suite of Milford.

That good fraternal spirit was abundant, is evident by the fact that in 1883 the net proceeds of an entertainment amounting to $25.00 was set aside as rhe nucleus of a charity fund.

At the June communication 1890, it was brought to the attention of the Lodge, that twenty-five years had been completed; a committee appointed, but we have no record of their reporting, nor evidence to show that there was any observance.

It was during that period of time which we refer to as the "Gay Nineties" that the Brethren voted to have some brother give a short lecture to the candidates at each degree, concerning his duty as a Mason in living up to the teachings of the Fraternity. This action might be termed as a forerunner of our present Lodge of Instruction. In this connection it is interesting io note that at the regular communication April 2, 1900, Right Worshipful Jarvis B. Woolford asked for expressions in regard to the advisability of holding a Lodge of Instruction.

At the regular May meeting 1896, the subject of proper preservation of the records and purchase of a safe for this purpose was before the Lodge, and no doubt warmly discussed, as we note immediately following the same, the Brethren voted to buy six dozen fans. The safe was eventually purchased, a most fortunate thing, because on the evening of December 28th, 1899, the building housing the Masonic Hall burnt to the ground, a total loss except for such records as were in the safe. The contents of that safe, salvaged from the ruins of the Temple, were found to be in a water soaked condition; careful handling at that time preserved those early records, and they are now safely housed in the vault of the Framingham National Bank. The original Charter was badly damaged, and our late Brother Cyrus E. Bemis carefully restored and skillfully framed it, gratuitously, and this ancient document is also preserved in the bank vault along with contemporary records.

Following the fire, temporary quarters were secured from the Odd Fellows; all the neighboring Lodges made fraternal offers of assistance, Montgomery Lodge graciously loaned paraphernalia that the Lodge might work until it re-estabrished itself. The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge presented a full set of aprons. The new hall in the rebuilt Andiews building was ready for occ,pancy November, 1899, and properly dedicated at that time, by our first District Deputy Grand Master, Jarvis B. Woolford and suite. It is recorded that 160 Master Masons present at that ceremony, of which 113 were visitors; a fitting testimony of the fraternal spirit of those "horse and buggy" days. In the furnishing of the new Lodge-rooms, it is interestlng to note that many of the Brethren, having the interests o? Freemasonry at heart, as well as the welfare oitheir own Lodge, gave essential articles and generously subscribed to a fund to complete the proper equipment.

February 15, 1905, Mount Hollis Lodge celebrated its 40th anniversary in a "royal manner," some 200 members and guests being present. At this celebration, past Master's jewels were presented to the ten living past Masters, the lodge having borrowed $180.00 to purchase them. The historical address was given by Worshipful John H. Andrews, and the affair was honored by the presence of one Charter member.

Early in 1904, the Lodge appointed a committee to consider the installation of electric lights. September, 1905, the subject was again brought before the Lodge, and electricity was installed October, 1905. Typical of Yankee shrewdness, January 1, 1906, the Lodge voted: "on account of there being less work in caring for the rooms, by reason of electricity, that the Tyler, (he then serving as janitor) be paid at the rate of fifty cents per night when obliged to be present." It was also voted to take down the chandeliers, and have the other lamps trimmed and ready for use in case of failure of electric lights. Truly the Brethren must have been thinking of the parable of the five wise virgins. With the advent of electric cars we find the Lodge appointing a committee in 1908 to secure a special car to transport the Brethren to Milford, that they might attend a lecture at Montgomery Lodge, but they did not hire the car as the cost seemed too large to warrant the expenditure.

The year 1915 marked the culmination of fifty years as a constituted Lodge, and that anniversary was fittingly observed on April 18th and 19th. This venerable building, then the Methodist Church, was the scene of devotional services. The following day at mid-afternoon, Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson, honored Mount Hollis Lodge by his presence and gave a stirring address. Brother Arthur Leon Pond (subsequently a Worshipful Master) presented an interesting historical address covering the completed half century. At the close of these exercises the Brethren repaired to the Town Hall for a sumptuous banquet, followed by dancing.

The next few years found our country involved in the Great War; eleven of our Brothers served with the colors, and at the termination of hostilities, all, except Brother James A. Cutler, who made the supreme sacrifice, returned to their respective homes.

During the "Twenties", when everyone was gainfully employed, optimism was in the very air we breathed, Mount Hollis Lodge enjoyed an era of great progress. The meetings were well attended, much interest was shown; the Lodge-rooms were redecorated, a new carpet purchased, and new furniture installed. It was during this period of time that a Masonic Club was started but, due to the rapid transition in the affairs of life, such as the advent of the radio in the homes, and the more common use of the automobile, this Club died in infancy.

It was during this decade that Mount Hollis Lodge suffered the loss of three Past Masters whose names stand forth as outstanding Masons, truly three strong pillars that supported the fabric ofthe Lodge, and guided its destiny through sunshine and storm, with a definite plan of future stability. No history of these past twenty-five years would be complete without paying tribute to the memory of Right Worshipful Henry M. Cutler, Worshipful Josiah B. Parkin, and Worshipful Arthur L. Pond. These staunch supporters of Free-Masonry were men of logical minds, they had the courage of their convictions, they saw well beyond the horizon.

With the advent of the recent "Thirties" came economic unrest; Mount Hollis, like many other Lodges, felt this by a serious diminution in the applications for membership. Fortunately our Brethren have weathered the situation wonderfully well, and the Lodge has maintained its enrollment with slight gains.

In 1932, Mount Hollis Lodge paid homage to the memory of George Washington, the Master Mason. Appropriate exercises were held at the lodge rooms, at which time we were honored by the presence of Most Worshipful Frederick W. Hamilton, who gave the principal address. At this time, it is indeed with sadness that we make note of the passing of Doctor Hamilton. We had hoped he would be with us again this evening, yet a few days ago he entered unto his reward in that Celestial Lodge above. We who knew this kindly old gentleman, pay humble tribute to the memory of a Great Mason, whose knowledge of the Craft was unsurpassed.

It was during the year 1931 that the members of the Methodist Church voted to unite with the Congregational Society, thus this building, the Methodist Church, was vacated. Early in 1932, the Trustees of the Methodist Society offered Mount Hollis Lodge an opportunity to purchase this church property at a very reasonable figure, that this sacred property might not be profaned by commercialism. The offer was duly considered and accepted by the Lodge, and in due course of time the title to this property was conveyed to the Trustees of Mount Hollis Masonic Temple. During the winter of 1935 and 1936 this church building was remodeled to meet the needs of a Masonic Lodge.

At this time let me diverge from Masonic affairs to give you a mental picture of this immediate location, as told me by our next door neighbor, as well as one of our oldest members, Brother Henry P. Dickinson.

This land was originally owned by Miss Betsy Prentiss, who lived in the house which still stands next to us on the south. Betsy Prentiss was the daughter of Rev. Joshua Prentiss, who was the second minister in Holliston. Thus it was the daughter of a Congregationalist that gave the land for the establishment of a Methodist Church in Holliston, and because of this act of benevolence on her part, she was severely criticized by some members of the Orthodox church of which she was a member. This House of Worship was built in 1831. Originally this part of the church sat lower as there was no basement in the original edifice. The entrance to the original building was at the southeast corner, opening to the south. There was no spire such as we have long been accustomed to seeing on this building, but a belfry, similar to the present structure surmounted by a bell, fully exposed to the weather. Tradition has it, that one good churchman, fearful lest rust corrupt, applied a coating of grease to the bell, and thereafter that bell gave forth a muffied sound. One Anson Leland bought the land where Church Place now is and gave it to the church with the understanding that it should serve as a roadway and always be kept open; over a hundred years later the Town accepted this roadway as a town road. In earlier days approximately when this church was established, where Brother Dickinson now resides, was a general store, typical of that era. Directly across from this building, where Mrs. Williams now resides, was a two story, two room school house and here Brother Dickinson first attended school. The village blacksmith was located a little further to the east, under what we know as the Flagg elms. Thus in earlier days this location was a part of the business center of the town.

Now to return to our Masonic history; May 4, 1936, the Lodge met for its last meeting in the Andrews Block, thus terminating sixty-four years of meeting at that location. At that meeting plans were completed for the dedication of this Temple to be held May 28th, 1936.

This ancient edifice, consecrated to the service of God for over one hundred years, was reconsecrated and dedicated to the principles of Freemasonry, Thursday evening, May 28, 1936. The dedicatory exercises were conducted by the officers of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts, with Most Worshipful Claude L. Allen in the East. A very impressive ceremony was witnessed by some three hundred Masons and friends. It is interesting to note that he who served as Deputy Grand Master on that huppy occasion four years ago, is with us tonight as the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Brother Joseph Earl Perry.

We have occupied this Temple four years, and it would indeed be a grievous error if no mention were made of the fine spirit of brotherly love that has prompted many of our members to make gifts and contributions which have added much to the fraternal iife of the Lodge. We express again our appreciation for the emblem over the front entrance, for repairs to the organ, for the furnishing of the game room, and many other gifts and contributions which have and are being enjoyed by all.

Mount Hollis Lodge may well look with pardonable pride upon the accomplishments of the past seventy-five years. This fine Temple, free from encumbrances, and an active social group of public spirited men are living witnesses which bespeak success more definitely than any statistics that I might have compiled.

Brethren: thus far I have dwelt with the past, yet the question that comes to the mind of each and every one of you, time and again during these days of turmoil, is: what of the future. Tonight as we gather here in this peaceful New England village, enjoying fraternal fellowship, our thoughts span the globe. Humanity is at stake. We ask ourselves, what of the future? No one can answer the question, but to those valiant men who are doing their utmost to maintain culture and refinement, we as individuals say as did the poet Longfellow:

"Humanity with all its fears,
With all the hopes of future years,
Is hanging breathless on thy fate!
Our hearts, our hopes, are all with thee,
Our hearts, our hopes, our prayers, our tears,
Our faith triumphant o'er our fears,
Are all with thee,-a re all with thee!"

And now as we conclude this record of seventy-five years, we clasp with loving hands the story of the achievements of the past; and reverently do we hope and pray, that the records of this Lodge in the years to come may be no less golden and precious, and that the successive generations to whom its honor, its prosperity, and its progress shall be entrusted, may hold these legacies as a treasure not to be dimmed or despoiled but made richer and brighter as the years shall stretch on.

Following this address, Grand Master Perry gave a speech on Building a Life in a Changing World.


From Proceedings, Page 1965-228:

By Brother Frederick W. Miller.

"The first regular communication of Mount Hollis Lodge of free and ancient masons was holden this day commencing at 7-1/2 o'clock.

"Opened on the third degree in form W.M. E. F. Whiting in the chair . . ."

Thus start the minutes of the first regular communication 'of Mount Hollis Lodge.

Some of the accounts of the procedures preliminary to the granting of a Charter to the Mount Hollis Lodge by the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts are preserved in the archives of the Grand Lodge and of the Mount Hollis Lodge.

One such document follows, quoted exactly as written one hundred years ago.

"Proceeding of a body of Free and Accepted Masons who assembled Sept. 1864 in the Hall over the Thompson and Whiting store at Holliston, Mass. by virtue of a general invitation extended to all Masons residing in Holliston.

"The meeting was called to order by Bro. Edwin P. Whiting and duly organized by the election of Bro. Whiting as President, Brother Cassander Flagg, Secretary.

"It was voted that Bro. Geo. E. Johnson be appointed as a committee of one to report at our next meeting upon the probable expense necessary to the formation of a Lodge.

"There being no further business voted to adjourn.
C. Flagg, Sec."

A second September meeting was held to hear Bro. Johnson's report. A committee of six was appointed to determine the expense to secure and to fit a room to be used as a Lodge, and to secure the names of those brothers willing to bear a proportionate part of the expense.

A third meeting was held Saturday evening, October 15, 1864, at which it was voted "that Bro. Geo. E. Johnson be appointed a committee of one to see the Messrs. Colburn and hire of them the hall over their store." It was also voted "that a committee of one be chosen to confer with and obtain permission from Montgomery Lodge, Milford, to establish a Lodge in Holliston." A committee to draw up by-laws and a committee to arrange for a temporary organization were also voted.

The following is quoted exactly from a second document: "The members of the proposed Mount Hollis Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons met on Friday, Oct. 21 agreeably to adjournment.

"The meeting was called to order by the Chairman Mr. Whiting, after which Mr. Johnson reported that he had consulted with Mr. Colburn with regard to leasing the hall over ,his store for the use of the proposed Lodge; that Mr. Colburn would lease the same for the sum of seventy-five dollars yearly after Dec. 1st. 1864.

"This report was accepted and a committee consisting of Messrs. Johnson, Whiting and Daniels were instructed to lease the same in their names for the proposed Lodge for five years.

"The chairman then called upon the committee chosen to report a temporary organization for the proposed Lodge.

"Dr. Bullard for the committee reported the following organization.

  • "For Worshipful Master, Edwin F. Whiting
  • Senior Warden, Alfred R. Bullard
  • Junior Warden, Henry H. Packer
  • Sec'y, Stephen S. Nichols
  • Treasurer, George E. Johnson
  • Senior Deacon, Henry S. Putnam
  • Junior Deacon, Benjamin F. Batchelder
  • Marshal, George T. Daniels
  • Chaplain, Benjamin F. Cooley
  • Senior Steward, James E. Taft
  • Junior Steward, Alfred Cutler
  • Tyler, Oliver White

"This report was accepted and the committee discharged. A committee consisting of Messrs. G. E. Johnson, Edwin F. Whiting, and T. T. Daniels were then chosen to negotiate a joint note for the purpose of obtaining funds.

"The meeting was adjourned until Friday evening, Oct. 28, 1864.

A. R. Bullard, Sec'y Pro tem."

The following report is quoted exactly from a third document:

"We whose names hereinafter appear being members of the Masonic Fraternity in good and regular standing believing that the time has arrived when it is for the welfare of Masonry and also a pleasure and profit to each and all of us as free and accepted Masons that a Lodge of Fraternity be established in the town of Holliston, County of Middlesex and Commonwealth of Massachusetts, do hereby agree to and with each other to join equally in furnishing the necessary amount of money (or other satisfactory security on which the money can be obtained) for the purpose of providing all that is required to establish and put such a Lodge in good working condition.

"And as title of the body we would recommend that the name of Mount Hollis Lodge of free and accepted Masons be accepted and adopted."

  • George E. Johnson
  • E. F. W7hiting
  • Alfred R. Bullard
  • James E. Taft
  • Geo. T. Daniels
  • Alfred Cutler
  • Elbridge F. Perry
  • S. S. Nichols
  • B. F. Batchelder
  • H. S. Putnam
  • H. H. Packer

The following is quoted exactly from a fourth document written in December 1864:

"To the Most Worshipful Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Massachusetts.

"We the undersigned being Master Masons in good and regular standing, and having the prosperity of the Craft at heart, are anxious to exert our best endeavors to promote and diffuse the genuine principles of Free Masonry and for the convenience of our respective dwellings, and other good reasons. We are desirous of forming a new Lodge to be named Mount Hollis. We therefore with the approbation of the District Deputy Grand Master, and the Lodge nearest our residence, respectfully pray for a Dispensation empowering us to meet as a regular Lodge at Holliston, Mass. on the first Monday of every month and on such special occasions as shall be deemed necessary, and there to discharge the duties of ancient York Masonry in a constitutional manner according to the forms of the Order and Laws of the Grand Lodge, and we have nominated and do recommend Brother Edwin F. Whiting to be the first Master, Brother Geo. T, Daniels to be the first Junior Warden and Brother H. Packer to be the first Senior Warden of said Lodge, the prayer of this petition being granted we promise strict obedience to the commands of the Grand Master, and the (laws) and regulations of the Grand Lodge.

  • Edwin F. Whiting
  • Henry H. Packer
  • Henry S. Putnam
  • Alfred Cutler
  • Willard I. Packer
  • B. F. Batchelder Jr.
  • Stephen S. Nichols
  • George T. Daniels
  • George E. Johnson
  • P. L. Cooley
  • James E. Taft
  • Charles C. Jewett"

The original of the above quoted material in the Grand Lodge at Boston has written along the left edge the following:

"Boston, Feb. 14, 1865
I, H. C. Skinner, D.D.G.M.
hereby recommend petition be granted."

and at the left bottom is written,

"was approved at a meeting of Montgomery Lodge, Feb. 9, 1865"

And the final document quoted exactly from the original in the archives of the Grand Lodge in Boston:

"Holliston, Dec. 13/65

"To the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of the State of Massachusetts

"The undersigned petitioners being Ancient free and Accepted Masons having the prosperity of the fraternity at heart, Respectfully represent "That for their own convenience and other good reasons, they are desirous of forming a new Lodge in the town of Holliston to be named Mt. Hollis Lodge—; they therefore pray for a Charter to empower them to assemble as a legal Lodge to discharge the duties of Masonry in a constitutional manner according to the usual forms of the order, and the regulations of the Grand Lodge. They have selected and do recommend brother Edwin F. Whiting to be the first Master brother George T. Daniels to be the first Junior Warden brother H. H. Packer to be the first Senior Warden.

"Said Lodge — if the prayer of the petitioners shall be granted, they promise strict conformity to all the constitutions, laws and regulations of the Grand Lodge.

  • Edwin F. Whiting
  • Henry H. Packer
  • Geo. T. Daniels
  • Geo. E. Johnson
  • Stephen S. Nichols
  • B. F. Batchelder, Jr.
  • Henry S. Putnam
  • James E. Taft
  • John Littlefield
  • Charles C. Jewett"

On the back of the original of the above is written

"Mt. Hollis Lodge Granted Dec. 13, 65"
(probably by the then Grand Secretary, Charles W. Moore).


  • Born, Holliston, Mass., June 26, 1930
  • Initiated: Montgomery Lodge, Milford, October 29, 1858
  • Passed: November 29, 1858
  • Raised: January 11, 1859
  • Admitted to Membership, Mount Hollis Lodge, Holliston, Mass.: March 6, 1865
  • Departed: October 16, 1895
  • Born, Gilford, New Hampshire, January 1, 1818
  • Initiated: Massachusetts Lodge, Boston, September 15, 1862
  • Passed: October 26, 1862
  • Raised: November 17, 1862
  • Admitted to Membership, Mount Hollis Lodge, Holliston, Mass.: March 6, 1865
  • Departed: February 7, 1870
  • Born, Leominster, Mass., March 1, 1824
  • Initiated: Montgomery Lodge, Milford, October 29, 1858
  • Passed: November 29, 1858
  • Raised: January 11, 1859
  • Admitted to Membership, Mount Hollis Lodge, Holliston, Mass.: March 6, 1865
  • Departed: June 26, 1893
  • Born, Holliston, Mass., March 14, 1822
  • Initiated: Montgomery Lodge, Milford, October 29, 1858
  • Passed: November 29, 1858
  • Raised: January 11, 1859
  • Admitted to Membership, Mount Hollis Lodge, Holliston, Mass.: March 6, 1865
  • Departed: October 28, 1874
  • Born, Boston, Mass., March 19, 1828
  • Initiated: Montgomery Lodge, Milford, July 28, 1864
  • Passed: August 25, 1864
  • Raised: September 29, 1864
  • Admitted to Membership, Mount Hollis Lodge, Holliston, Mass.: March 6, 1865
  • Departed: February 18, 1915
  • Born, Holliston, Mass., December 26, 1833
  • Initiated: Montgomery Lodge, Milford, July 28, 1864
  • Passed: August 25, 1864
  • Raised: September 29, 1864
  • Admitted to Membership, Mount Hollis Lodge, Holliston, Mass.: March 6, 1865
  • Demit granted (Resided in Calif.) November 5, 1887
  • Departed: 1922, California
  • Born, Sherborn, Mass., July 11, 1824
  • Initiated: November 16, 1848, Middlesex Lodge, Framingham, Mass.
  • Passed: December 21, 1848
  • Raised: January 18, 1849
  • Admitted to Membership, Mount Hollis Lodge, Holliston, Mass.: December 13, 1865
  • Departed: February 2, 1889

Note: the following were not included and were added.

  • Born, 1825, New York
  • Initiated: July 6, 1860, Montgomery Lodge, Milford, Mass.
  • Passed: August 8, 1860
  • Raised: October 17, 1860
  • Admitted to Membership, Mount Hollis Lodge, Holliston, Mass.: December 13, 1865
  • Dimitted 1868, Reffiliated 1872; Suspended 1876.
  • Departed: June 5, 1897
JAMES E. TAFT 1827-1895
  • Born, 1827, Bellingham, Mass.
  • Initiated: October 29, 1858, Montgomery Lodge, Milford, Mass.
  • Passed: November 29, 1858
  • Raised: January 1, 1859
  • Admitted to Membership, Mount Hollis Lodge, Holliston, Mass.: December 13, 1865
  • Departed: June 13, 1895
  • Born, 1839, Holliston, Mass.
  • Initiated: September 23, 1862, Montgomery Lodge, Milford, Mass.
  • Passed: September 25, 1862
  • Raised: September 25, 1862
  • Admitted to Membership, Mount Hollis Lodge, Holliston, Mass.: December 13, 1865
  • Departed: December 21, 1875
  • Born, 1839, Holliston, Mass.
  • Initiated: August 30, 1858, Middlesex Lodge, Milford, Mass.
  • Passed: October 19, 1858
  • Raised: October 26, 1858
  • Admitted to Membership, Mount Hollis Lodge, Holliston, Mass.: December 13, 1865
  • Suspended 1871
  • Departed: ?

Right Worshipful Earl W. Taylor, Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge, provides the following dates for Mount Hollis Lodge from the records of the Grand Lodge:

  • Date of Precedence (Granting of Dispensation): February 14, 186S
  • Granting of Charter: December 13, 186S
  • Constituted: January 30, 1866

Right Worshipful Earl W. Taylor states that the date of Precedence is the date that the Lodge may use as its "Birthday," or any date thereafter may be used for sensible or convenient reasons.

The Mount Hollis Lodge has had but three permanent quarters during the past one hundred years.

February 14, 1865, the Lodge was instituted in Colburn's hall and remained in this location for seven years. Colburn Brothers' store, over which the lodge rooms were, was on the westerly side of Washington Street and some two to three hundred feet to the south of Green Street.

January 9, 1872, the Lodge moved to a new hall in the Andrews' block. This hall was dedicated with imposing Masonic ceremonies by D. D. G. M. G. E. Stacy and suite of Montgomery Lodge, Milford. The next sixty-four years were spent in this location except for temporary quarters in the Odd Fellows' Hall, December 28, 1898, until November 17, 1899, because of the fire which leveled the Andrews' block.

Communications numbers 666 through 674 were held in the temporary location. During this time the Andrews' block was rebuilt. In the minutes of Communication number 668, March 6, 1899, is found the following action on the report of Committee on New Hall. "The 'Hall Committee' reported that they had conferred with the Messrs. Andrews often in regard to the new hall, had examined the new plans, and unanimously favored the hall to be finished on the second floor. After a short intermission to enable the members to inspect the plans and ask questions, it was moved and voted unanimously to accept the recommendation." The minutes of the remaining communications through number 674 are replete with actions having to do with the new hall, various changes, painting, and furnishings.

Between the minutes of Communications 665 and 666 the following is written:

"On the evening of December 28th, 1898, the building, which contained the hall that was dedicated as 'MOUNT HOLLIS' LODGE, A.F. & A.M., was totally destroyed by fire and the lodge lost everything that was not in the safe; on opening the safe her 'Charter', 'By-Laws' and 'Records' were found, very much watersoaked and stained. The Charter, it is thought, can be somewhat restored, and when suitably framed will be treasured and carefully preserved.

"The JEWELS, presented by Bro. Henry Theodore Perear, the WORKING TOOLS, by Montgomery Lodge of Milford, the BOOK OF HOLY SCRIPTURES, by Myrtle Chapter #33, O.E.S., and the OFFICERS JEWELS, so highly prized on account of being the gifts of the first officers of the lodge who held the respective offices, were all lost, and their loss is irreparable."

This record amended by subsequent discoveries in rubbish of cellar.

"The officers of the lodge made temporary arrangements with the Odd Fellows and the first meeting in this year was called and held in the hall of EVERGREEN LODGE, I.O.O.F.. in Talbots' block."

Montgomery Lodge, Alpha Lodge, Charles River Lodge, and Middlesex Lodge sent letters of sympathy and generous offers of the use of rooms and paraphernalia.

Adjustment of the fire loss was allowed as a total loss and the offer of #800 in sixty days was accepted.

The minutes of Communication 675, November 17, 1899, state, <blockauote> "A special communication of Mt. Hollis Lodge, A. F. & A. M., was held this evening in the new Masonic Hall in the Andrews' Building. The dedication ceremony was performed by Mount Hollis' first District Deputy Grand Master, Jarvis B. Woolford, and suite. One hundred sixty Masons were present, one hundred thirteen being visitors."

Some thirty years later the following is found in the minutes of April 4, 1932: "During the past year, 1931, the members of the Methodist Church having united with the Congregational Church Society, the Trustees of the Methodist Church wish to dispose of that property." The Trustees of the Methodist Church offered to sell to Mount Hollis Lodge. The minutes of June 1, 1932, contain the following: ". . . . the report of the (building) Committee was accepted and instructed to purchase the Methodist Church property for use as a Masonic Temple." The minutes of May 1, 1933, state that the report of the building committee was then read by the Chairman, Brother Dr. Stoddard. After some discussion it was agreed that the trust form of Holding Co. was the best suited to the needs of Mount Hollis Lodge at the present time (it being inexpedient for a Masonic Lodge to own real estate or to assume long term obligations). It was also voted: "we call the church property MOUNT HOLLIS LODGE." Thus was the present Temple secured.

The present Temple was dedicated on Thursday evening, May 28, 1936. The dedicatory exercises were conducted by the Most Worshipful Claude L. Allen, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, and Suite. Three hundred Masons and friends were present.

A study of the minutes of Mount Hollis Lodge from Communication Number One, March 6, 1865, through Communication Number One Thousand Five Hundred and Ninety Two, October 5, 1964, reveals an unbroken line of officers who have guided the Lodge with unselfish devotion through its hundred years, and a number of strong and high quality men who have joined the Lodge and supported its officers.

Thousands of hours have been spent by these officers and men in Lodge work during the hundred years.

To fully write the history of an organization requires both a chronological account of events and an evaluation of the events in terms of the objectives of the organization.

To thus consider the hundred year history of Mount Hollis Lodge requires an explanation of the evaluative criteria pertinent to nature and objectives of Freemasonry.

Freemasonry is not a secret society, rather a society with secrets. Its members are known. The Fraternity has its social and its secret aspects. It is social in that it encourages the free association of men together for serious purposes. It is secret in its means of recognition, its symbolic instruction, and in its method of teaching. There is no obligation of secrecy in the truths taught by Freemasonry.

Admission into, and membership in, the Fraternity of Freemasonry requires the belief in a God, the belief in the Brotherhood of Man, and the belief in immortality.

In addition to these three fundamental requirements, Freemasonry in its teaching emphasizes truth, charity, mutual help, sympathy, justice, tolerance, benevolence, and education. Freemasonry is religious but it advocates no particular creed, leaving that to the individual Mason.

Freemasonry strives to be an effective force for good in the world. It offers no inducements to prospective candidates other than the opportunity to render service to mankind, not only through charity and benevolence but by helping to promote the spirit of brotherhood and human kindness.

In the world outside Freemasonry men travel many roads to many goals; men are divided by race, religion, business and politics. Within Freemasonry there are no class distinctions, all are equal, all travel a road to an end which is the same for all. Non-sectarian and non-doctrinal, Freemasonry offers a road on which "men of all creeds and of every race" may travel happily together. The Fraternity offers a meeting ground for "men of every country, sect, and opinion."

How well has Mount Hollis Lodge during its life accomplished the professed purposes of Freemasonry?

The first year, March 6, 1865, to March 5, 1866, was a busy year Masonically. Thirty-seven communications were held, thirteen regular and twenty-four special. The second, third, and fourth communications were held for the purpose of lecturing. The remainder of the communications dealt chiefly with the acceptance and investigation of petitions. Eight petitions for Masonic degrees were presented at the first communication.

The first degree was worked for two candidates at the second regular communication, April 3, 1865.

The Lodge had its first visitor, Brother Skinner of Milford, at its third communication, March 20, 1865.

At the fourth regular communication, June 5, 1865, Brothers Orin Thompson and George B. Fisk were raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason.

During the first year gifts were received, among them a Bible and Jewels for all of the officers. By-laws were formulated and accepted. Election of officers, with eight voting, occurred in December.

During the first three years, over fifty were raised to the sublime degree. Four years passed before the brethren felt they could take time out for a little sociability. In February 1869 it was voted to invite the ladies to a party to be held Wednesday, February 21, 1869.

One may wonder why the minutes of a Masonic Lodge contain almost no reference to contemporary local, national, and world events; the social, political, economic, or scientific happenings within these geographic areas.

By way of contrast between the world outside and the serene world within a Lodge, a few of such events, mostly within the United States, during the hundred year life of the Mount Hollis Lodge are herein noted:


  • The Civil War aftermath and recovery
  • Tariff Question
  • Bi-metalism — Silver vs. Gold
  • Opening of the West: Indian Wars; Cattle Drives; Railroad Expansion
  • The Telephone
  • The Diesel Engine
  • Good pay—29 cents an hour for 10-hour day


  • Horse and Buggy—Wright Airplane—Model T
  • Wireless—Talkies—Radio—Radar—TV
  • Panama Canal
  • Women's Vote
  • World War I—Roaring Twenties—Depression—World War II
  • Iron Curtain—Korea
  • Plastics—Thermonuclear Bomb—Automation & Computers
  • Scientific Breakthrough—Outer Space—"More change than all the centuries put together"
  • Freeing of Nations—Unemployment Insurance—Old Age Pensions—Social Security—Age of Common Man
  • Juvenile Delinquency—Civil Rights—War on Poverty
  • Educational Advance—Space Travel

In short, 1900-1965, the twentieth century "has produced the worst wars, the worst depressions, the greatest prosperity, and the biggest revolutions in all human history." And through this hundred years the Mount Hollis Lodge has progressed on an even keel, in peace and serenity.

Freemasonry intends it to be so.

Forbidden is the discussion of creeds, politics, or other topics likely to excite personal animosity in a Masonic Lodge. Everyone who enters Freemasonry is, at the outset, strictly forbidden to countenance any act which may have a tendency to subvert the peace and good order of the society.

The individual retains his right to hold his own opinion with regard to public affairs, but neither in any Lodge nor at any time in his capacity as a Freemason is he permitted to discuss or to advance his views on theological or political questions.

There remains for this history to determine if the Mount Hollis Lodge has been successful in fulfilling the objectives of Freemasonry.

The business of a meeting is to read the records, consider bills, receive applications, ballot upon petitions, confer the proper degree upon eligible candidates, and transact such other business as may properly come before the Lodge.

The records, or minutes, have been well and fully recorded. For the hundred years, the minutes cover over 4,000 pages. Of this number, 2800, for the period March, 1865, to October, 1928, are handwritten. Of this 2800, each page of one-third the total number of pages covers a written area of six by nine inches; of the remainder, each covers a seven by twelve inch area. Since October, 1928, the minutes have been typed, numbering over 1200 pages, the typed area of each measuring six by nine inches. Great credit is due to the secretaries who spent hundreds of hours to leave this tremendous record, grateful appreciation to the memories of those past and to the present secretary, the Worshipful Lyle W. Orton, who has served as secretary since October 3, 1938.

Through the years, the bills have been presented, duly checked, and paid.

Petitions have been presented, accepted, committees of investigation appointed, the report of the committee received and the candidate either accepted or rejected by ballot. Degrees have been conferred.

Praise for the type of work done occurs repeatedly, as "The work was done in a manner which reflected great credit to Mt. Hollis Lodge and fully sustained the reputation which she bears for doing nearly perfect work."

For the period March 6, 1865 through January 10, 1965, Mount Hollis Lodge has raised 609 members. This number together with the number affiliated totals 703. On January 10, 1965, the membership was 271.

Sixteen hundred communications have been held by the Mount Hollis Lodge during its century of life. In hours of time the total is several thousands of hours which have been spent within the lodge room by officers and members. Other thousands of hours have been spent outside of the lodge room in furtherance of Masonic obligations and ideals. These many hours have been spent in the selection of members, in the work of. degree conferment, in the work toward the fulfillment of the objectives and the professed purposes of Freemasonry, in the maintenance of the quarters, and in the purchase and the care of lodge furnishings

Since belief in the Brotherhood of Man is one of the three fundamentals of Freemasonry, its practice should be evident in the work of a Masonic Lodge. The minutes of Mount Hollis Lodge meetings are seldom without reference to some act of brotherhood performed by the Lodge or by one or more of the brethren. Only two cases are cited here.

The November, 1867, minutes state, "the following resolu
tions, neatly engrossed and framed, were received from (a New York State Lodge is named).

RESOLVED, That we tender to Mount Hollis Lodge of Holliston, Massachusetts, our heartfelt thanks for their kindness in ministering to the wants of our Worthy Brother ... during his illness, thereby proving themselves worthy of the name of Brothers.' "

The New York Lodge also reimbursed Mount Hollis for its expenditures on behalf of the New York brother.

The minutes of a meeting many years later report the death of a brother's widow and state, ". . . her condition became such that it had been necessary to take her to the hospital in Framingham where she received the best care and treatment" and that "during the time she had been in the care of Mount Hollis Lodge she had received the best care and medical attention."

Seldom has there been a meeting during the past century without record of one or more acts of brotherhood. The distressed, the sick, the shut-in brother has known the sincere and kindly concern and help of his lodge brothers. The elderly brother, the infirm brother, has not been alone. These brothers have known the appreciation, respect, esteem, and comradeship of their Masonic brothers.

The obligations of brotherhood have been fulfilled by Mount Hollis Lodge constantly through the years.

Charity is closely associated with brotherhood. In February, 1879, the brethren in a Mount Hollis Lodge meeting "passed the hat" and collected $9.83 for a brother in distress. In 1923 an analysis showed that twenty per cent of the 1923 disbursements went for charity. In recent years sizeable sums have been voted for brothers in distress. Nor have the needs of distressed areas of the world gone unnoticed.

The charity thus far cited is that of giving physical relief. Requests of this nature are made generally through the lodge which has the means of investigation. If merited, relief will then be provided by the lodge or by the Grand Lodge.

The giving of alms is but a part of Masonic charity. St. Paul said: ". . . and although I bestow all my goods to feed the poor and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." The obligation of charity upon the individual Mason is of a different nature. For him, Masonic charity can be the "charity of thought, charity of giving of self." The visit to the sick, the brotherly hand laid upon the bowed shoulder in comfort and to give courage, the word of counsel to the fatherless, the tear dropped in sympathy, the joyous letter of congratulation to a fortunate brother, all are Masonic charity.

It is not to be expected that the minutes will record many of these individual acts of Masonic charity. The writer does know, from observation and from personal experience over the past forty years, of many such individual acts of charity. The minutes do record a bill for three dollars submitted by a brother for "watching" with a sick brother. This did become an act of charity: the lodge gave the brother permission to withdraw his bill.

Reference has been made to the first four years having no events of sociability. Once started, social events occurred with reasonable regularity. Sometimes the forays into the social realm were a bit restricted as the vote to have the anteroom open one or two evenings a week, the vote to have crackers and cheese after each third degree conferment, the vote to have a slight collation but no member to participate unless he attended the regular meeting.

Through the years there has been a variety of social events: ladies' nights, dances, picnics, banquets, suppers at the hotel, Past Masters' Associations, Sunday services, military whist parties, turkey suppers, Bellingham Navy Yard meetings and services, Masonic Service Association meetings, and others became social events of record.

Now and then an event would number four hundred present and would be conducted with the full pomp of ritual and regalia. Or the gathering might be as on August 30, 1889, when Mount Hollis and friends to a total of three hundred enjoyed a picnic at Farm Lake Grove, Sherborn. "It was a beautiful day and a good time was had by all."

In the nineties, Mount Hollis Lodge gained a helpmate and companion, Myrtle Chapter, No. 33, Order of the Eastern Star. Through the intervening years Myrtle Chapter has provided its full share of expenses of quarters, heat, light, and general expenses. The Chapter has given gifts of time and materials, has provided collations, suppers and banquets, and a background of beauty and grace.

The Doric Club, a social organization, was established in 1944. Worshipful Benjamin F. Barnes wrote in his 1946 history report as follows:

"Mount Hollis Lodge has long been known for its hospitality and friendly social atmosphere. The Doric Club makes this more pronounced, 'as it is by social contacts that men get to know each other better." Social life among the brethren is at its very best due to the Doric Club."

Later the Doric Club became inactive. It was reactivated in December, 19S9, to raise the money for a carpet and an organ. On June 6, 1960, Mount Hollis Lodge received from the Doric Club the Wurlitzer organ bill of sale paid in full.

Previous to the hundredth anniversary, three anniversaries have been observed and celebrated.

The minutes of June 2, 1890, state, "Voted that a committee be appointed to report some action for the lodge to take to celebrate its twenty-fifth anniversary." The matter is not mentioned again.

The fortieth "Birthday" was held Tuesday evening, February 14, 1905, from seven until ten o'clock in the Masonic Hall >n the Andrews Building. Two hundred persons participated. There was music until 7:45. Then there were speeches, reminiscences, and the history. Refreshments were catered. A social time followed until ten o'clock.

The membership was 80; 177 had taken degrees; many members of the lodge were Knights Templar, some belonged to the Mystic Shrine. Brothers Nichols and Batchelder were the two living charter members.

The fiftieth anniversary opened with service at the Methodist Episcopal Church at 10:30, Sunday morning, April 18, 1915. Eighty Masons and sixty members of Myrtle Chapter, No. 33, O.E.S., attended. The Camp Fire Girls decorated the Church interior. On Monday afternoon, April 19, the Lodge opened in form at 2:30. Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts, and Suite were received. Among the exercises of the afternoon was an address by the Grand Master and the reading of the Fifty-year History. The meeting adjourned to the Town Hall at 6:00. A banquet was served at 6:30, at which 275 Masons, Eastern Star members, and invited guests were present. Following the banquet and remarks by the Grand Master, 200 couples enjoyed dancing. There were 117 members: of 276 members admitted during the fifty years, 230 were raised in the lodge. Worshipful Brother Batchelder, resident in California, was the only living charter member.

The seventy-fifth anniversary opened with Divine Worship at 3:30, Sunday afternoon, June 2, 1940, in the First Congregational Church. About 165 marched to the service. The Mil-ford Commandery served as the escort.

On Tuesday evening, June 4, 1940, a special communication in the Masonic Temple celebrated the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Institution of Mount Hollis Lodge. A turkey banquet was served to 150 persons in the dining hall by members of the Eastern Star. At 7:45 the Lodge was called to order. Most Worshipful Grand Master, Joseph Earl Perry, and his Suite were received.

There followed a program which consisted of selections by the Concorde Male Quartette, the historical sketch by Worshipful Benjamin F. Barnes, an address by the Most Worshipful Joseph Earl Perry, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, and remarks by guests. After prayer, the Lodge closed at 9:15 p.m.

There were 147 members. Of 436 members admitted during the seventy-years, 407 were raised in the Lodge.

And now in one more brief sentence twenty-five years are sped and the full century of life of Mount Hollis Lodge is spanned. What of the Past?

A century of Masonic life of which we may be justly proud, a century of Mount Hollis Lodge ever carrying on in the truest Masonic tradition. What of the Future?

May the brethren continue to build with "those stones which endure before the Great Architect—unselfishness, and kindness, and consideration, and charity, and a giving spirit; of brotherhood, genuine because it springs from the heart. "For these things endure. Material things pass away. The Temple of Solomon is but a memory. Scattered the stones, stolen the gold and silver, destroyed the lovely vessels cast by Hiram Abif. But the memory, like the history of the beauty and the glory which was Solomon, abide unto this day. So shall it be with our house not built with hands, so be it we build with the beauty which Masons teach."


  • 1869 (Complaint by Grand Lodge of California, V-352)
  • 1872 (Hall dedication, 1872-118)
  • 1899 (Granting of a charter to replace one destroyed by fire, 1899-16)



From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXV, No. 5, March 1866, p. 159:

This new Lodge, located in the pleasant village of Holliston, in Middlesex County, was duly constituted by the M. W. Grand Lodge, on Thursday, Jan. 30. The ceremonies of constituting the Lodge and dedicating the Hall, were performed in the presence of a large assemblage of the brethren; after which the officers were installed by the M. W. Grand Master, Bro. Charles C. Dame, in the Town Hall, and in the presence of not less than seven hundred persons, including a large proportion of ladies. At the conclusion of the ceremonies here, the members of the new Lodge, with their wives and daughters, and other guests, to the number of two hundred and thirty, repaired to the Winthrop House to supper, where a couple of hours were spent in a very agreeable manner; not the least agreeable of which, perhaps, was the speaking by the Master of the Lodge, the Grand Master, and others. The Lodge has been eminently successful during the year it has been under Dispensation, and the prospect for the future is encouraging. The officers will be found on the appropriate page.

  • Edward F. Whiting, W. Master
  • H. H. Packer, Senior Warden
  • George T. Daniels, Junior Warden
  • George E. Johnson, Treasurer
  • S. B. Nichols, Secretary
  • B. F. Bachelder, Senior Deacon
  • Alfred Cutler, Junior Deacon
  • J. Littlefleld, Senior Steward
  • E. B. Johnson, Junior Steward
  • G. B. French, Marshal
  • O. White, Tyler
  • D. Jones, Chaplain.


From Liberal Freemason, Vol. II, No. 10, January 1879, Page 315:

At the annual meeting of Mt. Hollis Lodge, F. and A. M., held recently, the following officers were elected for the year ensuing: Geo. M. French, W. M.; R. P. Partridge, S. W.; J. D. Perkins, J. W.; Orrin Thompson, Treasurer; G. B. Fiske, Secretary; Alex. B. French, S. D.; Edward L. Decker, J. D; Charles F. Hoffman, S. S.; N. W. Philbrook, J. S.; E. F. Whiting, C. C. Abbott, F. E. Leland, Trustees.


From TROWEL, Summer 1989, Page 24:

R. W. Allan R. Bliss Honored by Mount Hollis Lodge

Mt. Hollis Lodge of Holliston hosted Grand Master Albert T. Ames and Grand Lodge officers and honored R. W. Allan R. Bliss for his 50 years of faithful service to his Lodge and to the Craft. Wor. Walter J. Waring, Master, greeted the assemblage.

Bro. Bliss served as Worshipful Master in 1961 and the D. D. G. M. of the Natick 23rd. Wor. Jack E. Anderson presented a plaque to Bro. Bliss and Bro. Lawrence W. Bliss, son of the honored man, read a letter from another son and Bro. David, who was unable to be present. The sons shared memories of their dad and the commitment he had made to the Craft for 50 years.

The Grand Master surprised Wor. David Higginbothan, Trustee of Charity and Relief for the Lodge, with the presentation of a Meritorious Certificate for his long years of service to the Lodge.

Bro. John C. Mulhall unveiled his innovative hat that is designed to help promote the Grand Master's Country Fair. Members of Henry Price Lodge of Boston presented a Double Chai, a Jewish gift for long life and to help Mt. Hollis Lodge to rebuild an old church which will be their new meeting place, when completed.

Wor. Walter J. Waring, M. W. Albert T. Ames, and R. W. Allan R. Bliss.



1865: District 4

1867: District 12 (Milford)

1883: District 20 (Milford)

1911: District 23 (Milford)

1927: District 23 (Natick)

2003: District 15

2009: District 15 South


Lodge web site

Massachusetts Lodges