Chartered By: William Sewall Gardner
Charter Date: 09/13/1871 1871-96
Precedence Date: 08/30/1870
Need living PMs
- George Tapley, 1871
- Albert W. Howe, 1872
- Richard B. Hood, 1873, 1874, 1884
- Andrew Elwell, Jr., 1875, 1876
- Charles Newhall, 1877, 1878, 1883
- Samuel L. Sawyer, 1879, 1880; Mem
- W. Winslow Eaton, 1881, 1882
- Chauncey S. Richards, 1885, 1886; Mem
- J. Warren Derby, 1887
- Walter A. Tapley, 1888, 1889
- James A. Beckford, 1890
- Frank O. Staples, 1891, 1892
- George O. Stimpson, 1893
- Charles H. Preston, 1894
- Wendell P. Patch, 1895
- Samuel B. Hoar, 1896, 1897
- Arthur W. Beckford, 1898, 1899; SN
- J. Ellis Nightingale, 1900
- C. Dexter Richards, 1901, 1902
- Frederick M. Peabody, 1903
- George Little, 1904, 1905
- Lester S. Couch, 1906; Mem
- Winsor C. Nickerson, 1907, 1908
- Ralph F. Abbott, 1909, 1910
- Ernest S. Richardson, 1911
- Charles J. Trak, 1912
- Fred U. French, 1913, 1914
- Charles H. Ingalls, 1915
- Vinal W. Smith, 1916
- G. Warren Towne, 1917, 1918
- Percy L. Burnes, 1919, 1920
- Thurman Leslie, 1921
- George L. Merrill, 1922, 1923
- William H. Garvin, 1924
- Arthur W. Gay, 1925
- Clifton J. Comey, 1926
- Albert D. Conant, 1927
- Edward E. Putnam, 1928
- Alden P. Crosby, 1929; N
- Franklin Hammond, 1930
- George A. Ingalls, 1931
- Harold K. Parker, 1932
- Walter B. Morse, 1933
- Henry E. Rider, 1934, 1935
- Henry E. Littlewood, 1936, 1937
- Clarence W. Russell, 1938
- Ralph E. Day, 1939, 1940
- Joseph L. Stotler, 1941
- Stanley N. Preston, 1942, 1943
- Linwood Kimball, 1944
- Clarence E. Chapman, 1945
- Claude M. Parker, 1946
- C. Everett Elliott, 1947; N
- Frank N. Cooke, 1948
- Arthur P. Prentiss, 1949
- Dewey E. King, 1950
- Richard W. Holmes, 1951
- G. Everett Blanchard, 1952
- Leslie B. Fales, 1953; N
- Robert H. Deering, 1954
- Walter K. Anderson, 1955
- Emerson A. Wall, 1956
- Clyde S. Hermigar, 1957
- Calvin R. Potter, 1958
- D. Wayne Woodman, 1959
- Harvey M. Lewis, 1960
- Ralph A. Morrison, 1961
- Eugene O. Batastini, Jr., 1962
- LeRoy H. Smith, 1963
- Robert A. Peterson, 1964
- Robert F. Easler, 1965
- Frederick R. Lawson, 1966
- Harold A. L. Foss, 1967
- Henry H. Barrowclough, Jr., 1968
- Arthur J. Landers, 1969
- Norman R. Durkee, 1970
- Ralph A. Cardarelli, Jr., 1971
- Robert S. Wall, 1972
- Philip Pergola, Jr., 1973; N
- George W. Miller, 1974
- Harold E. Carter, 1975
- Nardi G. Laurenzo, 1976, 1995
- Carl F. Aylward, 1977, 2001; N
- Charles P. Russell, Jr., 1978
- Chester R. Harris, 1979; N
- Kenneth B. Marshall, 1980
- Norman F. Gage, 1981
- Peter G. Gardyna, Sr., 1982
- Ernest Leonard Foss, Jr., 1983
- Willard G. Steadman, III, 1984
- Charles W. Ritter, 1985
- Jerome P. Paige, 1986
- Donald R. Daly, 1987, 2003, 2004
- Robert M. Walters, 1988, 1997, 1998
- Robert H. Parker, 1989
- Peter G. Gardyna, Jr., 1990
- Daniel G. Aylward, 1991, 1999, 2000
- Donald R. Isbell, 1992
- Robert H. Haskell, 1993
- James Karolides, 1994
- Donald B. McIlvin, Jr., 1996
- Stanley M. Finkenthal, 1998
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1870
- Petition for Charter: 1871
- Consolidation Petition (with Amity Lodge): 2003
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1905 (Sanford; Reception and banquet)
- 1908 (Blake)
- 1910 (Flanders)
- 1916 (M. Johnson)
- 1918 (L. Abbott; Patriotic Night)
- 1921 (Prince)
- 1946 (Perry; 75th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1970 (Jaynes; Centenary; Special Communication)
- 2004 (Hicks; Consolidation; Special Communication)
75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1946
From Proceedings, Page 1946-279:
By Brother Charles Sutherland Tapley.
We are here assembled to commemorate the seventy-fifth anniversary of the founding of Mosaic Lodge, and so for a brief time, we turn our thought to 1871. The expiration of seventy-five years affords a vantage point from which to view the progress of Mosaic Lodge.
It is no mean honor to represent the Lodge upon this occasion, and the few remarks that I shall make are very inadequate to the real sentiment that we feel, but I am sure that they are in the spirit of each of the members of the Lodge.
Someone has said that the greatest thing in the world is Man, and that the greatest thing in Man is Mind. The founders of this Lodge were Builders of Manhood and developers of those qualities of mind which make for strength.
Organized Masonry in Danvers dates from 1778, when United States Lodge was chartered, being the seventh Lodge chartered by the Massachusetts Grand Lodge, which was organized in 1769. The membership of United States Lodge was made up of men from Danvers, Beverly and Wenham. It was always small and the mode of traveling in those days was slow and tiresome.
Our knowledge of United States Lodge is quite limited because the Charter, jewels, regalia and doubtless the records and by-laws, were destroyed in 1805, when the house of Richard Scidmore, Tyler of the Lodge, burned.
The Brethren in Danvers were patriotic and influential men who were among the first citizens of the town.
The last mention of United States Lodge is in the records of the Grand Lodge in 1788.
Jordan Lodge was chartered in 1808, and the first meetings were held in the Old Berry Tavern, but in 1810 the Lodge moved to the south part of the town, which is now Peabody. In 1864 Amity Lodge was chartered, with twenty-six members, twenty-five of whom were released from Jordan Lodge.
In the month of June, 1870, a number of the Brethren deeming it advisable to form a new Masonic Lodge, sent a petition for a warrant of dispensation for that purpose to the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. The following are the names of the petitioners:
- L. P. H. Turner
- Josiah Ross
- Edwin T. Waldron
- Alfred Fellows
- George Kenney
- Samuel C. Putnam
- Gilbert B. Emerson
- Nathaniel Bragdon
- John H. Pousland
- Putnam T. Derby
- Ira P. Pope
- Albert W. Howe
- Nathan Pratt Jr.
- Harrison O. Warren
- John T. Ross
- J. Warren Mead
- Francis A. Couch
- William H. Brown
- George H. Perkins
- Henry A. Perkins
- Walter S. Merrill
- George Tapley
- William J. C. Kenney
- Gilbert A. Tapley
- E. A. Lord
- S. Fairfield Gray
- Chauncey S. Richards
- John R. Langley
- John C. Butler
- Richard B. Hood
- George J. Sanger
- W. Winslow Eaton
- George W. French, Jr.
- Frederick B. Wentworth
- Ariel H. Gould
Of this group, I remember seven.
The petitioners held a meeting at Masonic Hall, Danvers, Wednesday evening, June 22, 1870, at which time the following officers were chosen:
- George Tapley, Worshipful Master
- Albert W. Howe, Senior Warden
- Josiah Ross, Junior Warden
- L. P. H. Turner, Treasurer
George H. Perkins, Secretary
Worshipful Brother George Tapley received the degrees in Jordan Lodge in 1857, and was installed Junior Warden the same year. He was Master of Jordan Lodge in 1859, 1860 and 1861, and was made an Honorary Member in 1892. He was also the first Master of Amity Lodge, serving in 1863 and in 1864. He was the first Master of Mosaic Lodge, and was Chaplain of the Lodge for many years. Worshipful Brother Tapley was constant in his attendance at the meetings and always had a handshake and a word of welcome for everyone.
Worshipful Brother Albert Howe was Master of Amity Lodge in 1865, and of Mosaic Lodge in 1872. In 1904, having been elected an Honorary Member of this Lodge, he wrote the Lodge a letter of considerable interest.
Richard Brainard Hood received his degrees in Jordan Lodge in 1862. He was Master of Amity Lodge in 1868,1869 and 1870, and of Mosaic Lodge in 1873, 1874 and 1884.
The name of "Mosaic" was suggested by Worshipful W. Winslow Eaton and he gave six reasons for its selection:
- Because it was an appropriate Masonic word.
- Because it was not adopted by any other Lodge.
- Its derivation from the ancient Greek and its original meaning — a species of inlaid or tesselated work in imitation of painting by the union of pieces of marble, glass, stones or gems of various colors, carefully inlaid and cemented and which served as walls, floors, and ornamental coverings of columns is itself suggestive and beautiful.
- It has been prized and employed for ornaments and used in the finest architecture of ancient and modern times.
- It is referred to in the First Degree of Masonry when we are informed that the ornaments of a Lodge are the Mosaic Pavement, surrounded by its beautiful tesselated border and the blazing star in the center, emblematical of human life checkered with good and evil.
- Applied to a Lodge, it would denote Masonically a society of friends and Brothers chosen as previous or living stones and cemented in wisdom, strength and beauty into one harmonious whole among whom no contention should ever exist, but the noble contention of who can best work and best agree.
After a brief discussion, the name "Mosaic" was accepted by the committee, and on being reported to the Lodge, was unanimously adopted.
Mosaic Lodge was instituted October 28, 1871. A committee was appointed to make arrangements with Amity Lodge for the use of their lodge room, fixtures, furniture and regalia for the use of the Lodge. A committee was also appointed to procure subscriptions, and another to prepare a code of by-laws.
January 1, 1872, there was a public installation of officers by Worshipful George J. Sanger, which was followed by a banquet at which one hundred twenty-five were seated.
The fiftieth anniversary of Mosaic Lodge began with appropriate services at the Maple Street Church. I remember it with pleasure. Worshipful Charles H. Preston delivered the history of the Lodge and he was followed by Reverend Brother R. Perry Bush, Grand Chaplain of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, who spoke of the early days of Freemasonry. A procession was formed and the group marched to the hall where lunch was served by ladies of the Order of the Eastern Star. The next evening there was a reception to the Grand Master, followed by a banquet and entertainment at Town Hall.
In 1925 the cornerstone of the new Masonic Temple was laid by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Dudley H. Ferrell, assisted by Right Worshipful Harry E. Jackson, Chairman of the Building Committee, Most Worshipful J. Albert Blake, Past Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, Worshipful N. Woodbury Bragdon, Master of Amity Lodge, Worshipful Arthur W. Gay, Master of Mosaic Lodge, Arthur K. Bates, High Priest of Holten Royal Arch Chapter, Worshipful Albert Dogherty, Past Master of Amity Lodge, who was in office at the time it was voted to build the Temple, and Worshipful George L. Merrill, Master of Mosaic Lodge at that time.
Three hundred Masons took part in the ceremonies and the parade formed on Conant Street and proceeded by way of Franklin, Poplar, Locust, Maple, Elm and Park Streets to the site of the new building. It was led by nine police officers, followed by the Salem Cadet Band. Color Bearers carrying the American Flag marched at the head of each body. The marchers were followed by the Grand Officers and other distinguished guests in seven automobiles. A. Preston Chase was Chief Marshal of the parade. Later, Caterer Schleuber served nearly three hundred members and guests at Town Hall.
In the seventy-five years of its existence, Mosaic Lodge has done much for the poor and needy and has been a remarkable influence in the Community. In recent years it has been difficult to carry on the many activities because of prevailing conditions, and the bequest of $7,000 from the estate of Mrs. George W. Towne, the widow of Worshipful George W. Towne, is most welcome.
The question inevitably arises: "Have we within ourselves the qualities which will make this Lodge, decades hence, great in achievement and in influence for the public weal?"
Mosaic Lodge was provisioned and was made possible by the anxious solicitude and the purposeful effort of men of times past. We of today are in large degree formulating the Mosaic Lodge of the future. I am making no plea for a restoration of the methods or of the forms of the past. These have rendered their acceptable service and in many cases have completed their usefulness. Nevertheless, in discarding these, or in supplanting them, it is well for us not to discard the spirit which animated them.
To the founders of Mosaic Lodge — the good they did will never die, and the oncoming years will add increasing lustre to their fame!
CENTENARY HISTORY, OCTOBER 1970
From Proceedings, Page 1970-458:
By Worshipful Robert F. Essler.
One hundred years! Or five-score years! A century! For one to look ahead for that period of time requires more imagination than most of us mere mortals have. Certainly the brethren who, in 1870, decided to form a new Masonic Lodge in Danvers could not have foreseen the events which have transpired in this past century. But they and those who came after them have truly left us a heritage of which they could be justly proud, and which we must endeavor to strengthen and embellish while it is in our stewardship.
"Someone has said that 'the greatest thing in the world is man, and the greatest thing in man is mind.' The founders of the local (Mosaic) lodge were builders in manhood and developers of those qualities of mind which make for strength.
"Organized Masonry in Danvers dates back to 1778 when the United States Lodge was chartered, being the seventh lodge chartered by the Massachusetts Grand Lodge . . . Its membership was comprised of men from Danvers, Beverly, and Wenham . . .
"Our knowledge of the United States Lodge is quite limited because the charter, jewels, regalia and doubtless the records and by-laws were destroyed in 1805 when the house of Richard Sidmore, tyler of the lodge, burned. The last mention of that lodge is in the records of the Grand Lodge in 1788.
"Jordan Lodge was chartered in 1808, with its first meetings being held in the Old Berry Tavern, but in 1810 the lodge moved to the southern part of town, which is now Peabody. "In 1864 Amity Lodge was chartered with 26 members, 25 of whom were released from Jordan Lodge."
In June of 1870, a number of the brothers of Amity Lodge petitioned for a warrant for dispensation from the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts to form a new Masonic Lodge in Danvers.
The petitioners held meetings under the chairmanship of George Tapley, with S. C. Putnam as Secretary. Wor. Bro. Tapley was the first Master of Amity Lodge, and had presided as Master of Jordan Lodge prior to that.
The petitioners chose as their first officers: Master, Wor. Bro. Tapley; Senior Warden, Albert W. Howe; Junior Warden, Josiah Ross; Treasurer, L. P. H. Turner; and Secretary, George H. Perkins. Meeting on July 9, 1870. they chose a name for their Lodge.
"The name Mosaic was suggested by W. Winslow Eaton, who offered six unique reasons for its adoption. This name was accepted by the committee, and upon being reported, was unanimously adopted . . ."
The warrant for dispensation was issued by Grand Lodge dated August 13, 1870 and at the first regular communication of the Lodge on September 7, 1870 the remaining officers of the Lodge were chosen, to wit: Chaplain, Rev. George J. Sanger; Marshal, George W. Kenney; Senior Deacon, Samuel C. Putnam; Junior Deacon, William H. Brown; Senior Steward. John T. Ross; Junior Steward, J. Warren Mead and Tyler, B. R. Tibbets.
The Constitution of the Lodge and the installing of officers was accomplished by the then District Deputy Grand Master, George H. Pierson of Salem on October 30, 1871.
"After Mosaic Lodge had secured the use of Amity Lodge rooms, a committee was appointed to procure subscriptions and another to prepare a code of by-laws. There was a public-installation of officers on January 1, 1872."
At the time of the Lodge's 25th Anniversary in 1896, held in the vestry of the Universalist Church, there were 15 of the charter members still living.
Membership in the Lodge grew steadily from the original 34 charter members to a total of 380 in 1921, the year of the 50th Anniversary, which was celebrated over two days, Sunday and Monday, October 24 and 25. On Sunday, Rev. Bro. R. Perry Bush, Grand Chaplain, spoke on the "early" days of Freemasonry at services held at the Maple Street Church which were preceded by a procession of over 200 members of the Craft from the Masonic Hall to the church. On Monday, a reception was held for Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, Grand Master, and officers of the Grand Lodge. (1921 Mass. 388)
Our two oldest living Past Masters, Wor. Vinal W. Smith and Wor. Percy L. Burnes were members of the committee on arrangements for that august occasion. Also on that committee were two of our most recently departed Past Masters, Wor. Ralph F. Abbott and Wor. Charles J. Trask.
Deeming it advisable to seek new Masonic apartments, it was voted in January, 1923, to have a committee confer with Amity Lodge, Holten Royal Arch Chapter and the Danvers Masonic Club, and to canvass the membership relative to obtaining larger and more suitable quarters, "and to report their recommendation back to the lodge." In their report in April 1923, the committee recommended that it, or some other committee be authorized to "act for the lodge in forming a Masonic Building Association and certain other powers." This was approved in May 1923, giving said association "full power to select and purchase a site for Masonic Quarters and arrange all the details for erecting or altering of necessary quarters for such purposes and the financing thereof."
Wor. Percy L. Burnes served on that committee which, in July 1924, reported the alternatives available, but recommended that the Building Association purchase and alter the Universalist Church property, and specified the financing of the endeavor.
The Building Association proceeded to negotiate the purchase of the property, which is the site of our present Masonic Temple on the corner of Park and High Streets, and commenced the planning for the necessary alterations.
The first meeting held by Mosaic Lodge in the Universalist Church was on October 2, 1924. At a joint meeting with Amity Lodge on July 8, 1925, the cornerstone for the new Masonic Temple was laid by Most Worshipful Rev. Bro. Dudley H. Ferrell, Grand Master, assisted by the presiding and Junior Past Masters of Amity Lodge; Wor. Arthur W. Gay, Master and Wor. George L. Merrill, Junior Past Master of Mosaic Lodge. Wor. Lester S. Couch, also a Past Master of Mosaic Lodge, was the architect for the construction and alterations.
Dedication ceremonies of the completed new quarters were on June 23, 1926, with the Senior Grand Warden, R. W. Frank H. Hilton, acting on behalf of the Grand Master, and were "performed most impressively."
Mosaic Lodge held its first regular communication in the new Temple on September 2, 1926. The last surviving charter member of the Lodge, Bro. George W. French, went to his reward in the Celestial Lodge above on December 26, 1928, but not before seeing the passing of this milestone in the growth of Freemasonry in Danvers.
As was noted before, the membership had steadily increased since the charter was granted. But now came 1929, and although the membership had risen into the 400's, it began a rather steady decline, until in 1940 and 1941 it had dropped to 243. It then began to rise again, until a few years ago when it reached the high of slightly over 500.
As the membership decreased during the 1930's, it became increasingly difficult to keep up with the operating expenses of the Lodge. But diligence and frugality by the members and the finance committee prevailed. The Relief Committee of those days spent considerable time at their task. The brethren weathered those difficult times, however, the tenets of their profession being foremost in their minds.
During the years of World War II, it was often difficult filling the officers' chairs at many communications of the Lodge, there being so many officers and brethren serving in the Armed Forces or engaged in essential industries which necessitated their absence from communications of the Lodge.
When, in the early 1950's, it became apparent that something had to be done about the aging pipe organ in the Lodge room, it developed that it could be repaired at considerable expense, but without any guarantee as to how long it would continue to function thereafter. Upon investigation, it was determined that acquiring a new organ would be a more prudent solution. This was accomplished with the joint cooperation of the other Masonic bodies which used the Lodge room and Amity Lodge. In April of 1953, the brethren of Mosaic Lodge had the pleasure of enjoying the harmonics from our present electric organ for the first time.
Considerable in the way of redecorating and renovation has been accomplished in and to our Temple in the past two decades, one of the most recent undertakings including the repainting of the clouded canopy, or sky on the ceiling over the Lodge room. This feat was accomplished under the guidance of Bra. Raymond Shaw, whose father was the artist who originally painted the ceiling.
At the present time there is great effort being expended by some of the brethren to garner funds for further rehabilitation work through their annual Minstrel show and letter appeals requesting financial support.
Mosaic Lodge has been extremely honored, over the years, to have had Grand Masters of Masons in Massachusetts appoint the following Past Masters of the Lodge to serve as their District Deputy Grand Masters: Samuel L. Sawyer, Chauncey S. Richards, Arthur W. Beckford, Lester S. Couch, Alden P. Crosby, C. Everett Elliott and Leslie B. Fales. They have comported themselves with great distinction and honor to the Lodge.
Mosaic Lodge has been very fortunate to have had many noteworthy brethren serve as its officers, but a few have been exemplary in their devotion to the Lodge. Foremost among these are Wor. George A. Ingalls, who is presently serving as Treasurer for the 38th year; Bros. Herman A. Gordon, William Richmond and Ivan G. Rust as Secretaries, who have served long and outstanding tenures, Brother Rust now serving his 15th year. Wor. Ralph F. Abbott, who was taken to his just rewards this past summer, he having been installed as Master of the Lodge 61 years ago, maintained a keen and active interest in the Lodge and its undertakings throughout his 71 years as a member of Mosaic Lodge. Wor. Bro. Abbott actively participated in the work of the Lodge as late as Past Masters' Night in April, 1969 at the young age of 91 years. He had installed the officers of Mosaic Lodge on at least 12 occasions, which may very well be a record for Mosaic Lodge, and for many, many years had served as a Trustee of Invested Funds and Trustee of the Memorial Charitable Fund. Wor. Percy L. Burnes, 51 years a Past Master and Wor. Henry E. Rider, 36 years a Past Master, have also served the Lodge with exemplary devotion. They both served with distinction on the Relief Committee during the depression years, when that committee's duties were most pressing. Wor. Rider also served as auditor of the records and investments of the Lodge for many years.
And yet others of our brothers whose devotion to the Lodge received recognition from the Most Worshipful Grand Master through the award of the Joseph Warren Medal for "Distinguished Service." They were Bro. Frank W. Ross, who was installed as organist for 57 years; Bro. Joseph L. Kennedy, who served as Tyler for 24 years; and Wor. Henry E. Littlewood, for many years Secretary of Mosaic Lodge.
In March of 1942, Wor. Clarence W. Russell was successful in seeking initial action for the formation of a Blood Donor Group from Mosaic Lodge. Fruition was attained in June, 1943, when eleven members and friends of the Lodge donated blood at the Red Cross facilities in Boston. Through Wor. Bro. Russell's efforts in securing donors and bus transportation, this trip was repeated many times during the remainder of World War II. This was the "start of something big," for in May 1951, Mosaic and Amity Lodges, for the first time, jointly sponsored a visit of the Red Cross Bloodmobile to Danvers. This has become an annual event on the calendars of the two Lodges, wherein they solicit donors from the service area of the local Red Cross Chapter as well as from their membership. Mosaic Lodge has received citations in recognition of its efforts expended for the Blood Program. The most noteworthy donor from the Lodge membership is Bro. Vernon C. Russell, who has been cited for his total donation of 13 gallons, or 104 pints. Many of the brethren have devoted themselves to the task of organizing the donor program for the Lodge. Bro. Paul Bubier has served well in this activity. Mosaic Lodge is fortunate, indeed, to have thirty living Past Masters at this writing. The senior, Wor. Vinal W. Smith, was Master in 1916. This group annually participates in the work of the Lodge at a Past Masters' Night. Under the aegis of the Junior Past Master, the work is done "as they remember it," often making the evening a highpoint in the year's activities. Divine Worship services have been held jointly each year with Amity Lodge on a Sunday near the Feast of St. John the Baptist. An invitation has usually been forthcoming to be the guests of one of the churches in the area. We have had the privilege and pleasure to be guests of the Maple Street Congregational, Danvers Baptist, Calvary Episcopal, Holy Trinity Methodist, Unitarian-Universalist, First Church Congregational, and the Wenham, Topsfield and Middleton Congregational Churches.
For many years a Ladies' Night was held jointly with Amity Lodge. When the attendance became unwieldy, it was decided that the Lodges would have separate affairs for their members, their ladies and guests. These almost annual events have proved highly successful in promoting Freemasonry throughout the community.
Through the years, Mosaic Lodge has exchanged fraternal visits and participation in the work with many Lodges.
Notable among these are Wayfarers' Lodge, whose regular communication is on the same night as Mosaic Lodge; Charles C. Dame Lodge, Philanthropic Lodge, Star in the East Lodge, Exeter, New Hampshire and foremost, of course, our sister Lodge, Amity, with whom we have often met in joint session and shared in the work.
Our officers have participated, on numerous occasions, in Presiding Masters', Senior Wardens', and Junior Wardens' Nights as guests of other North Shore Lodges, as well as being hosts to similar programs conducted by Mosaic Lodge. In the last decade we have held Table Lodges for our members and Masonic guests. This ancient Masonic rite was brought to us through the research of the late Grand Chaplain of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, R. W. Frank B. Crandall of Salem,
Many times we have been afforded the opportunity to witness the work of several outstanding degree teams with ethnic, fraternal, professional and industrial affiliations. Notable among these have been the North Shore Highland Degree Team and the North Shore Shrine Club, but they have all contributed to the pleasures of the evenings and helped to further the fraternalism we aspire to.
One cannot endeavor to cover a century of the comings and goings of the 1227 brethren who have affixed their signatures to the By-Laws of Mosaic Lodge without mentioning the hundreds who have steadfastly maintained their interest and membership in the Lodge for periods of half of that century and longer. One has only to peruse the records of the Lodge to note the passing history of this community, as it is evident that many of these same brethren have also contributed greatly to the progress of Danvers and its environs, they having been leaders in the professional, social and civic life of the community. We salute their devotion to the tenets which they held so dear and must rededicate ourselves and our lives so that those we leave behind can also proudly say: "He passed this way!"
Material researched from the records of Mosaic Lodge, newspaper accounts of the Fiftieth and Seventy-fifth Anniversaries, and excerpts from the writings of Brother Charles S. Tapley.
- 1871 (Constitution of lodge, 1871-209)
- 1925 (Participation in Danvers cornerstone laying, 1925-188)
- 1926 (Participation in Danvers temple dedication, 1926-283)
- 1957 (Participation in corner stone laying, 1957-133)
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Carl F. Aylward, DDGM, District 8 (Salem), 1997, 1998; N
- Arthur W. Beckford, DDGM, District 8 (Salem), 1909, 1910; SN
- Lester S. Couch, DDGM, District 9 (Gloucester), 1918, 1919; Memorial
- Alden P. Crosby, DDGM, District 8 (Salem), 1938, 1939; N
- C. Everett Elliott, DDGM, District 8 (Salem), 1951, 1952; N
- Leslie B. Fales, DDGM, District 8 (Salem), 1961, 1962; N
- Chester R. Harris, DDGM, District 8 (Salem), 1989, 1990; N
- John D. Oldreive, DDGM, District 8 (Salem), 1973, 1974; N
- Philip Pergola, Jr., DDGM, District 8 (Salem), 1975, 1976; N
- Chauncey S. Richards, DDGM, District 8 (Salem), 1894, 1895; N
- Samuel L. Sawyer, DDGM, District 8 (Salem), 1895, 1896; Memorial