- Merrimack Lodge, from 1802 to 1846, and from 1851 to the present.
- Saggahew Lodge, from 1864 to the present.
- 12/04/1916: 1916-557; Hall dedication, at a Special Communication; see below.
HALL DEDICATION, DECEMBER 1916
From New England Craftsman, Vol. XII, No. 3, December 1916, Page 89:
One of the most interesting events in the Masonic history of Haverhill, Mass., occurred Monday, Dec. 4th, in the dedication of their remodeled temple. The changes and improvements in the temple, both interior and exterior, make it practically a new building. The original temple was erected about 46 years ago, the cornerstone being laid by Grand Master Sereno D. Nickerson, June 24, 1873. It is a curious fact that no record can be found of its ever being dedicated.
The dedication of the remodeled temple was conducted by Grand Master Melvin M. Johnson, assisted by other officers of the Grand Lodge. Owing to the limited accommodations, the dedicatory exercises were confined to the members of Merrimack and Saggahew Lodges, the two lodges located in Haverhill, the combined membership of which is nearly 900. These, with the members of the Grand Lodge, completely filled the apartments. Previous to the exercises the Grand Master with his suite were handsomely entertained by District Deputy Grand Master Benjamin B. Gilman at his home, "Overlook Farm." He was assisted by Past Master Frederick H. Tilton of Saggahew Lodge who has served Rt. Wor. Brother Gilman as Marshal at his official visits to the lodges in his district.
Grand Master Johnson's suite included: Right Worshipful D. Edward Miller, Senior Grand Warden; Right Worshipful Roscoe E. Learned, Junior Grand Warden; Most Worshipful John Albert Blake, Maiden, Past Grand Master; Right Worshipful William H. L. Odell, Past Deputy Grand Master; Right Worshipful Leon M. Abbott, past Senior Grand Warden; Right Worshipful Charles H. Ramsay, Grand Treasurer; Right Worshipful Frederick W. Hamilton, Grand Secretary; Right Worshipful Fred S. Smith, M. D., District Deputy Grand Master of the 11th Masonic District; Worshipful Rev. R. Perry Bush, Grand Chaplain; Worshipful William M. Farrington, Grand Marshal; Worshipful Charles T. Cottrell, Grand Deacon; Worshipful Charles J. Shepard, Grand Steward; Worshipful Clarence A. Russell, Grand Steward; Worshipful Arthur A. Sondheim, Grand Steward; Worshipful Theodore L. Kelly, Grand Standard Bearer; Worshipful George W. Chester, Grand Tyler.
The officers of both Merrimack and Saggahew Lodges participated in the opening and closing exercises. In his address following the very formal and solemn dedication of the building and its halls, Grand Master Johnson delivered an eloquent address in which he reviewed the history of freemasonry and spoke of its philosophy and its mission.
He spoke especially of the part that freemasonry played in the establishing of the constitutional government of the United States and how its ideals had been imparted to it as its contribution in the building up of the American civilization.
The Grand Master was frequently forced to pause by the applause that greeted his utterances. When the exercises were ended and the lodges closed the members thronged the banquet hall, where a buffet lunch was served.
The changes in the Temple have considerably increased the capacity of the lodge room,—originally it seated about 250. It now accommodates 330. The lodge room is handsomely fur- nished and decorated, a special feature being the vaulted ceiling with gold stars on a blue sky.
Pediments emphasizing the Roman have been constructed over the different stations. The walls are finished to represent caen stone with the joints showing. The lighting is all from the cornice and entirely indirect. The severity of the walls is relieved by fluted pilasters with Doric capitals.
The lodge room has been carpeted in a pleasing shade of blue and upholstery and benches made to conform.
The grand new $7500 organ, with its 1100 pipes, electrically controlled, was installed by the Estey Organ Company of Brattleboro, Vermont. The Boston office of the company, at 120 Boylston Street, is managed by Brother Charles R. Putnam, a well known member of the Craft and Past Commander of Cambridge Commandery, K. T.
The seating capacity of the banquet hall on the top floor remains unchanged. Its appearance has been greatly enhanced by the change in the roof and the installation of new lighting fixtures. A small stage has been constructed above the staircase for the use of musicians and other entertainers.
The armory of Haverhill Commandery Knights Templar has been made 12 ft. longer and 26 new double lockers put in of black walnut to match those already in use. Originally there were 122 such lockers and with the additional ones the armory now accommodates 296 members.
The full committee on reconstructing the building is composed of Charles P. Sumner and Joseph A. Dalrymple from Saggahew Lodge, Nelson C. Hunt and Albert G. Harding of Merrimack Lodge. Lamont H. Chick and Benjamin B. Gilman from Pentucket Chapter, Edward A. Fitts and Charles C. Chase from Haverhill Council, Daniel C. Hunt and George W. Palmer from Haverhill Commandery and Fred D. McGregor and Charles N. Kelly from the Merrimack Lodge of Perfection. Charles C. Chase was chosen chairman and Edward A. Fitts clerk and treasurer of the committee. These two with Benjamin B. Gilman were named as a subcommittee on the remodelling of the building, while Daniel C. Hunt, Joseph A. Dalrymple, Nelson J. Hunt, Albert G. Harding and George W. Palmer were chosen a committee on the furnishings.
Following the dedicatory exercises opportunity was afforded for inspection of the remodeled Temple. All agreed in commending its new attractions and enlarged accommodations.