Wayfarers

From MasonicGenealogy
Revision as of 21:19, 10 December 2015 by Hotc1733 (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

WAYFARERS LODGE

Location: Swampscott

Chartered By: Melvin M. Johnson

Charter Date: 12/09/1914 1914-386

Precedence Date: 03/09/1914

Current Status: merged into Philanthropic Lodge, 10/05/2006.

Benjamin F. Arrington Lodge merged here, 05/08/1984.


PAST MASTERS

  • Edward G. Brown, 1914, 1915; SN
  • Clarence E. Cahill, 1916-1917; Mem
  • Herbert A. Woofter, 1918
  • Clarence Humphrey, 1919, 1920
  • Frank A. Buckman, 1921, 1922
  • C. Edward Newhall, 1923, 1924
  • Egbert H. Ballard, 1925
  • James A. Breed, 1926, 1927; N
  • William H. Gowell, 1928, 1929, 1941; N
  • Roy S. Bishop, 1930
  • George E. Goodwin, 1931, 1932, 1942
  • Walter E. Barnes, 1933, 1934
  • James C. Soutter, 1935, 1936
  • C. Glover Bowes, 1937, 1938; N
  • Herbert P. Hollnagel, 1939, 1940
  • Roger N. Howes, 1943, 1944
  • Harvey P. Newcomb, 1945, 1946
  • Cedric L. Arnold, 1947, 1948
  • Chester E. Bradley, 1949, 1950
  • Laurence A. Sager, 1951, 1952
  • Hilton Fisher, 1953, 1954
  • Daniel Wormwood, Jr., 1955, 1956
  • Philip L. Knowlton, 1957, 1958
  • Kenneth Arnold, Jr., 1959, 1992
  • Frank L. Chesley, 1960, 1961
  • Kingsley Jackson, 1962, 1963
  • Harold R. Austin, 1964, 1965
  • Norman E. White, 1966
  • Frank G. Williams, Jr., 1967; N
  • William F. Whitney, 1968, 1969
  • James A. Breed, Jr., 1970
  • Marshall S. McStay, 1971
  • Jonas H. Chaves, 1972
  • Charles F. Connelly, 1973
  • H. Rowe Austin, Jr., 1974
  • Roy F. Anderson, Sr., 1975
  • Peter A. Sawin, 1976
  • Richard T. McIntosh, 1977, 1978
  • Harry W. Bickford, 1979
  • Malcolm H. Rogers, 1980, 1981
  • Thomas B. White, Jr., 1982, 1983, 1997; N
  • Ralston S. Clinch, 1984, 1985
  • Paul W. Brigham, 1986, 1987
  • Lawrence Brenner, 1988, 2000
  • John A. Gregory, Jr., 1989, 1990, 1993
  • Guy H. Wayne, Jr., 1991
  • John W. Standish, 1994
  • Oscar A. Gayton, 1995, 1996
  • Arthur C. Bisenti, Jr., 1998, 1999; PDDGM
  • Glover B. Preble, Jr., 2001
  • Wayne D. Martin, 2002
  • William H. Kelley, 2003
  • David A. Foye, 2004, 2005
  • Scott A. Sawin, 2006

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1939 (25th Anniversary)
  • 1964 (50th Anniversary)
  • 1989 (75th Anniversary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

  • 1914 (M. Johnson; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication; see below)
  • 1920 (Prince; Public building dedication; Special Communication; mentioned in history below)
  • 1928 (Simpson)
  • 1939 (Perry; 25th Anniversary; Special Communication)
  • 1964 (Osgood; 50th Anniversary; Special Communication)
  • 1984 (Richardson; Consolidation; Special Communication)
  • 1989 (Ames; 75th Anniversary)
  • 2006 (Hodgdon; Consolidation; Special Communication)

BY-LAW CHANGES

1916 1917 1918 1921 1925 1931 1936 1938 1942 1948 1949 1951 1955 1956 1969 1981 1983 1985 1999 2001

HISTORY

  • 1939 (25th Anniversary History, 1939-45; see below)
  • 1964 (50th Anniversary History, 1964-85; see below)

25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1939

From Proceedings, Page 1939-45:

By Addison P. Parker, Secretary.

Most Worshipful Grand Master and Officers of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge:

We are indeed honored by your presence and that of so many Past and Presiding Officers of the District, for in this we sense a recognition that we have reached our majority, and by it the fulfillment of all that we could desire on this occasion, our Twenty-Fifth Anniversary.

In the midst, and chronologically near the bottom, of the imposing list of Constitution dates of our Sister lodges in the District, as well as in the Grand Jurisdiction, many of them coincident with the earliest affairs of the Colonies, it may well be asked why a Twenty-Fifth Anniversary of Wayfarers Lodge should be selected for a celebration of much import, if at all.

We may perhaps offer justification for such pretension by confessing to a considerable pride that we have been able to contribute something to the well-being of the Craft through these years, from a modest beginning in 1914; steering by a well-charred course to preserve the high standards which were set, as ideals, by those respected Brethren who envisioned the needs of our Community, and interpreted them with untiring devotion to the interests of the Craft and unselfish giving of their time and abilities to that end.

We do not however wish to emphasize this Anniversary in the light of a celebration, but rather to signalize it as a day to give thanks to the Divine Creator for this visual manifestation of His blessings and guidance. Also it is our desire to dedicate ourselves anew to the preservation of the heritage that is ours, and to a quickening of our sense of obligation to the Lodge and to the Fraternity.

If this means a renewal of that unity of purpose and real personal service, to make the welfare of Wayfarers Lodge actively ours, and through it that of Masonry everywhere, then indeed shall we be emulating the spirit of our Brethren in 1914 and later, by subscribing to a virtue which was theirs and which can be cultivated today for the best, most salutary and beneficent purposes.

For it is axiomatic that nothing worth while can be preserved without intelligent service and application. Or in the words of our immortal Brother, George Washington, "Character building does not spring from sources entirely within ourselves, but from sincere imitation of inspiring examples."

The tenure of life is such that, fortunately for many of us in Wayfarers Lodge, it is not necessary to write History at this time, because History has written itself into our hearts as a living memory. While the details and statistics are recorded in permanent form each year by the History Committee, and readily available for those so inclined, there are always memorable events, incidental to the growth of a young Lodge, which we like to recall now, not because their pattern is different, but because of their intimate connection in its net work.

The formation of a Masonic Lodge in Swampscott was early the ambition of our honored Brother, George Augustus Heath, whose zeal and persistent application were largely instrumental in crystallizing Masonic interest which resulted in the laying of the Corner Stone of the Hadley School in 1911, by Most Worshipful Dana J. Flanders. There, the Grand Master's encouraging words garnered the seed sown by Brother Heath which, through the timely nourishment of his successor in office, Most Worshipful Everett C. Benton, germinated in the hearts of the seven, who became the Committee empowered to bring to fruition a hope well-grounded, a purpose fulfilled.

As the Candidate is first prepared for Masonry in his heart, so were the steps prepared in the hearts of our Brethren, which led to the door of Opportunity. Like him, they were led to this door by the hand of a friend and Brother, Right Worshipful David Gardner Bartlet, District Deputy Grand Master for the Eighth Masonic District. His able guidance and friendly counsel were ever at our service, and it is with sweet remembrance that we recall his frequent visits and instructive charges m our Candidates. His friendship was universal, but his inspiring devotion to the early success of this Lodge endears his memory to us for all time.

It was under the auspices of Right Worshipful Brother Bartlet that the Committee of Seven,

  • Walter W. Johnson
  • Joseph M. Bassett
  • Harrv R. Stanbon

  • Fred A. Trafton
  • Walter L. Browne
  • John J. Blaney
  • Clarence B. Humphrey

secured the unanimous approval of the Lodges affected by the release of jurisdiction and filed the Petition, late in 1913, which named as the first three officers of the Lodge:

  • Worshipful Master, Right Worshipful Howard Glover Brown
  • Senior Warden, Brother Clarence Eugene Cahill
  • Junior Warden, Brother Herbert Addison Woofter

In laying our laurel wreath at the shrine of those whose service to Wayfarers Lodge, in its early days, exemplified so fully the Four Cardinal Virtues, we are reminded that the all-devouring Scythe of Time has wrought inevitable havoc in our midst, but we are as conscious of their exemplary life and conduct in the affairs of the Craft, as if theirs were now a living presence.

It is fitting that, while we revere the memory of the dead, we conceive it also to be our happy privilege to honor the living, grateful that so many have been spared to enjoy the fruits of their labors. We rejoice in the knowledge that their interest and counsel are ours today, as they were twenty-five years ago when this small group of Masons made history.

On March 5th, 1914, the petitioners, now thirty-six in number, assembled in the temporary sojourn at Red Men's Hall to receive the Dispensation granted by Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson. There Wayfarers Lodge was Instituted by Right Worshipful David G. Bartlet, with Worshipful Harry E. Stilphen as his Marshal, and assisted by the Presiding Masters of the Lodges in the District.

The paraphernalia for the Institution was loaned by our neighboring Lodge in Saugus, and a measure of the lasting reminders of this good-will prevailing amongst the Brethren is evidenced by gifts from the Lodges in the District of much of the Furniture of the Lodge, equipment and Working Tools which we use today. Not the least of this good-will was the gracious and timely gesture of the Brethren of Philanthropic Lodge, Marblehead, in allowing the use of their Apartments for the raising of our Candidates until we were able to secure accommodations more suitable to our growing needs.

The officers for the term of Dispensation were:

  • Worshipful Master, Rt. Wor. Edward Glover Brown
  • Senior Warden, Clarence Eugene Cahill
  • Junior Warden, Herbert Addison Woofter
  • Treasurer, Walter Whitney Johnson
  • Secretary, Wilbur Larkin Woodbury
  • Chaplain, Harold Wesley Loker
  • Marshal, Lyman Roberts Stanley
  • Senior Deacon, Clarence Brown Humphrey
  • Junior Deacon, Walter Lincoln Browne
  • Senior Steward, Frank Augustus Bucknam
  • Junior Steward, Charles Edward Newhall
  • Inside Sentinel, Bertram Curtis Melzard
  • Tyler, Daniel Fuller Knowlton

In the twenty-five years since, Wayfarers has always been a 2-year Lodge; that is to say, each Master has been elected to succeed himself the second year. There have been but three exceptions to this—1918, 1925, and 1930 when War and business responsibilities prevented the unbroken practice of this custom. The natural effect of this policy was, that not until 1926 did Lodge administration come to one of its own raising, when Worshipful James A. Breed assumed the East, as our Eighth Master.

Since then, with one exception to and including our fifteenth and presiding Master, Worshipful Herbert P. Hollnagel, all have received their degrees in Wayfarers Lodge.

Brothers Walter W. Johnson and Wilbur L. Woodbury, our first Treasurer and Secretary respectively, served their Brethren faithfully for sixteen years and were accorded the distinction of Honorary Membership, upon their retirement in 1930.

Seated tonight in these commodious and fairly modern Apartments, which we have enjoyed in the present site since 1928, it is perhaps difficult to visualize rile early meetings of the petitioners in the barren upper room of the "Fish House", Blaney Beach Reservation, or the meagre and comparatively uncomfortable furnishings of our first location as a Lodge, where plain wooden settees served their Spartan purpose on the side lines, in Red Men's Hall on Burrill Street, and where many of the other necessary articles of use were the handiwork of the Brethren.

The temporary hindrances in the Work imposed by limited floor space were overcome when Odd Fellows Hall became our regular meeting place with the Communication of September 3d in 1914, and those Apartments were occupied until October 1918 when the present location was acquired, using what is now the Club Lounge.

In the Apartments on Elmwood Road, Wayfarers Lodge was Constituted by Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson and Officers of the Grand Lodge, February 4th, 1915, they being received by Right Worshipful George B. Harrington, D.D. Grand Master for the Eighth Masonic District, with forty-three of the fifty-four Charter members attending this Ceremony. Twenty-three are still in active membership.

Opportunity to participate as a Lodge, in a Rite which recalled its real inception, occurred in July 1920 when Wayfarers Lodge formed the escort to the Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince and fifteen members of the M.W. Grand Lodge, in public procession to the site of the Machon Grammar School building, where the ancient ceremonial of laying the Corner Stone was observed.

In 1921 our seven year old Lodge was honored by the same Grand Master's appointment of Right Worshipful Clarence Eugene Cahill as his personal representative for the District. Further honors of this nature came to the Lodge in 1930 when Right Worshipful William Henry Gowell received a like Commission from the then Grand Master, Most Worshipful Herbert W. Dean, for the division of the District now designated as the (Salem) Eighth.

Also active in Grand Lodge service was Worshipful and Reverend John Vannevar, D.D., for so many years our Chaplain, and Grand Chaplain from 1925 to 1931; also their Librarian until he was obliged to relinquish the position because of illness. Three Past Grand Masters and a Past Senior Grand Warden are numbered among our Honorary members.

In a financial way, Wayfarers Lodge responded to the needs of the Nation when involved in the Great War, and our Roll of Honor includes the names of twenty-four of our Brethren who answered the call. Several petitions for the degrees were received from veterans while over-seas. One of our members, Brother Ralph H. Russell, served an appointment by Most Worshipful Leon M.Abbott as his personal representative with the Army in France, 102d Regiment A.E.F., and is still affectionately greeted as "Right Worshipful", a title and honor conferred at the time under his Commission.

We take no small pride in our contribution to one of the important educational activities of the Grand Lodge, the Lodges of Instruction, an outgrowth of a recognition of the need for added instruction to Candidates, and information to the Brethren. This preparation of Candidates was undertaken early in our progress by the formation of our Non-Ritualistic Committee, which has functioned since 1923 to give every Candidate Initiated, Crafted, and Raised in Wayfarers Lodge an insight into, and a better and more practical understanding of Masonic origin and its Landmarks.

In common with other Lodges, we have suffered our loss in membership. From a high of 468 we are now 392. We do not however accept this as the inevitable result of a waning interest, although we must admit that the very spirit of the times is a challenge to every Institution, not excepting this of ours.

For our part, we are heartened by the response of the Brethren to meet this challenge. And our hope for the future is strengthened by the gradual awakening of Youth to the possibilities for service, by an alliance with the Fraternity.

Let us all be reassured by the words of Worshipful Brother Tatsch, writing in the current Masonic Craftsman, who says, "the Historians of the present day are not discouraged," ... for "periods that seem to be retrogression are simply the whirlpools and eddies in the river... of Freemasonry, which is unceasingly flowing toward the great sea of Universal Brotherhood."

50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, APRIL 1964

From Proceedings, Page 1964-85:

by Worshipful Philip L. Knowlton.

Most Worshipful Grand Master and Officers of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge: We are indeed honored by your presence and that of so many Past and Presiding Officers of the District, for in this we sense a recognition that we have reached our majority, and by it the fulfillment of all that we could desire on this occasion, our Fiftieth Anniversary.

In the midst, and chronologically near the bottom, of the imposing list of constitution dates of our Sister Lodges in the District, as well as in the Grand Jurisdiction, many of them coincident with the earliest affairs of the Colonies, it may well be asked why a 50th Anniversary of Wayfarers Lodge should be selected for a celebration of much import, if at all.

We may perhaps offer justification for such pretension by confessing to a considerable pride that we have been able to contribute something to the well-being of the Craft through these years from a modest beginning in 1914, steering by a well-charted course to preserve the high standards which were set, as ideals, by those respected brethren who envisioned the needs of our Community, and interpreted them with untiring devotion to the interests of the Craft and unselfish giving of their time and abilities to that end.

We do not, however, wish to emphasize this Anniversary in the light of a celebration, but rather to signalize it as a day to give thanks to the Divine Creator for this visual manifestation of His blessings and guidance. Also it is our desire to dedicate ourselves anew to the preservation of the heritage that is ours, and to a quickening of our sense of obligation to the Lodge and to the Fraternity.

If this means a renewal of that unity of purpose and real personal service to make the welfare of Wayfarers Lodge actively ours and through it that of Masonry everywhere, then indeed shall we be emulating the spirit of our brethren in 1914 and later, by subscribing to a virtue which was theirs and which can be cultivated today for the best, most salutary and beneficent purposes.

For it is axiomatic that nothing worthwhile can be preserved without intelligent service and application. Or in the words of our immortal Brother, George Washington, "Character building does not spring from sources entirely within ourselves, but from sincere imitation of inspiring examples."

The tenure of life is such that, fortunately for many of us in Wayfarers Lodge, it is not necessary to write History at this time, because History has written itself into our hearts as a living memory. While the details and statistics are recorded in permanent form each year by the History Committee, and are readily available for those so inclined, there are always memorable events, incidental to the growth of a young Lodge, which we like to recall now because of their intimate connection in its network.

The formation of a Masonic Lodge in Swampscott was early the ambition of our honored Brother, George Augustus Heath, whose zeal and persistent application were largely instrumental in crystallizing Masonic interest which resulted in the laying of the Corner-stone of the Hadley School in 1911, by Most Worshipful Dana J. Flanders. There the Grand Master's encouraging words garnered the seed sown by Brother Heath which, through the timely nourishment of his successor in office, Most Worshipful Everett C. Benton, germinated in the hearts of the seven, who became the Committee empowered to bring to fruition a hope well-grounded, a purpose fulfilled.

As the Candidate is first prepared for Masonry in his heart, so were the steps prepared in the hearts of our brethren, which led to the door of opportunity. Like him, they were led to this Door by the hand of a friend and Brother, Right Worshipful David Gardner Bartlet, District Deputy Grand Master for the Eighth Masonic District. His able guidance and friendly counsel were ever at our service, and it is with sweet remembrance that we recall his frequent visits and instructive charges to our Candidates. His friendship was universal, but his inspiring devotion to the early success of this Lodge endears his memory to us for all time.

It was under the auspices of Right Worshipful Brother Bartlet that the Committee of Seven, Walter W. Johnson, Fred A. Trafton, Joseph M. Bassett, Walter L. Browne, Harry R. Stanbon, John J. Blaney, and Clarence B. Humphrey secured the unanimous approval of the Lodges affected by the release of jurisdiction and filed the petition, late in 1913, which named as the first three officers of the Lodge: Right Worshipful Edward Glover Brown, Worshipful Master; Brother Clarence Eugene Cahill, Senior Warden; and Brother Herbert Addison Woofter, Junior Warden.

In laying our laurel wreath at the shrine of those whose service to Wayfarers Lodge in its early days exemplified so fully the Four Cardinal Virtues, we are reminded that the all-devouring Scythe of Time has wrought inevitable havoc in our midst, but we are as conscious of their exemplary life and conduct in the affairs of the Craft, as if theirs were now a living presence.

It is fitting that, while we revere the memory of the dead, we conceive it also to be our happy privilege to honor the living, grateful that so many have been spared to enjoy the fruits of their labors. We rejoice in the knowledge that their interest and counsel are ours today, as they were 50 years ago when this small group of Masons made history.

On March 5th, 1914, the petitioners, now 36 in number, assembled in the temporary sojourn at Red Men's Hall to receive the Dispensation granted by Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson. There, Wayfarers Lodge was instituted by Right Worshipful David G. Bartlet, with Worshipful Harry E. Stilphen as his Marshal, and assisted by the Presiding Masters of the Lodges in the District.

The paraphernalia for the institution were loaned by our neighboring Lodge in Saugus, and a measure of the lasting reminders of this goodwill prevailing amongst the brethren is evidenced by gifts from the Lodges in the District of much of the furniture of the Lodge, equipment and working tools which we use today. Not the least of this goodwill was the gracious and timely gesture of the brethren of Philanthropic Lodge, Marblehead, in allowing the use of their Apartments for the raising of our Candidates until we were able to secure accommodations more suitable to our growing needs.

The officers for the term of Dispensation were:

  • Worshipful Master, R.W. Edward Glover Brown
  • Senior Warden, Bro. Clarence Eugene Cahill
  • Junior Warden, Bro. Herbert Addison Woofter
  • Treasurer, Bro. Walter Whitney Johnson
  • Secretary, Bro. Wilbur Larkin Woodbury
  • Chaplain, Bro. Harold Wesley Loker
  • Marshal, Bro. Lyman Roberts Stanley
  • Senior Deacon, Bro. Clarence Brown Humphrey
  • Junior Deacon, Bro. Walter Lincoln Browne
  • Senior Steward, Bro. Frank Augustus Bucknam
  • Junior Steward, Bro. Charles Edward Newhall
  • Inside Sentinel, Bro. Bertram Curtis Helzard
  • Tyler, Bro. Daniel Fuller Knowlton

In the 50 years since, Wayfarers has always been a 2-year Lodge; that is to say, each Master has been elected to succeed himself the second year. There have been but four exceptions to this: 1918, 1925, 1930 and 1959, when war and business responsibilities prevented the unbroken practice of this custom. The natural effect of this policy was that not until 1926 did Lodge administration come to one of its own raising, when Worshipful James A. Breed assumed the East as our 8th Master.

Since then, with one exception to and including our 27th and presiding Master, Worshipful Harold R. Austin, all have received their degrees in Wayfarers Lodge.

Seated tonight in these commodious and fairly modern Apartments, which we have enjoyed in the present site since 1928, it is perhaps difficult to visualize the early meetings of the petitioners in the barren upper room of the "Fish House", Blaney Beach Reservation, or the meagre and comparatively uncomfortable furnishings of our first location as a Lodge, where plain wooden settees served their Spartan purpose on the side lines, in Red Men's Hall on Burrill Street, and where many of the other necessary articles of use were handiwork of the brethren.

The hindrances in the work imposed by limited floor-space were overcome when Odd Fellows Hall became our regular meeting place with the Communication of September 3rd in 1914, and those Apartments were occupied until October 1918, when the present location was acquired, using what was the Club Lounge.

In the Apartments on Elmwood Road, Wayfarers Lodge was Constituted by Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson and Officers of the Grand Lodge, February 4th, 1915, they being received by Right Worshipful George B. Harrington, D. D. Grand Master for the Eighth Masonic District, with 43 of the 54 Charter members attending this Ceremony.

Opportunity to participate as a Lodge, in a Rite which recalled its real inception, occurred in July 1920, when Wayfarers Lodge formed the escort to the Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince and 15 members of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge, in public procession to the site of the Machon Grammar School building, where the ancient Ceremonial of laying the Corner Stone was observed.

In 1921, our 7-year old Lodge was honored by the same Grand Master's appointment of Right Worshipful Clarence Eugene Cahill as his personal representative for the District. Further honors of this nature came to the Lodge in 1930, when Right Worshipful William Henry Gowell received a like Commission from the then Grand Master, Most Worshipful Herbert W. Dean, for the division of the District now designated as the (Salem) Eighth.

Also active in Grand Lodge service was Worshipful and Reverend John Vannevar, D. D., for so many years our Chaplain, and Grand Chaplain from 1925 to 1931; also their Librarian until he was obliged to relinquish the position because of illness. Three Past Grand Masters and a Past Senior Grand Warden are numbered among our Honorary members.

In 1941, Worshipful James A. Breed was appointed Junior Grand Steward of the Grand Lodge.

In 1942, Worshipful James A. Breed was appointed District Deputy Grand Master for the Salem 8th Masonic District by Most Worshipful Albert F. Schaefer.

In 1959, Wayfarers Lodge was again honored by having one of its Past Masters appointed a District Deputy Grand Master. Wor. C. Glover Bowes was appointed District Deputy Grand Master of the Salem 8th Masonic District by Most Worshipful Andrew G. Jenkins.

Two Past Masters of Wayfarers Lodge have served as Master of the 29th Lodge of Instruction: Wor. Herbert Hollnagel, 1941 to 1943, and Wor. Hilton Fisher, 1957 and 1958.

In a financial way, Wayfarers Lodge responded to the needs of the Nation when involved in the World War I, and our Roll of Honor includes the names of 24 of our brethren who answered that call; about 100 brethren answered the call in World War II. Several petitions for the degrees were received from Veterans while overseas. One of our members, Brother Ralph H. Russell, served an appointment by Most Worshipful Leon H. Abbott as his personal representative with the Army in France, 102nd Regiment A. E. F., and was affectionately greeted as "Right Worshipful", a title and honor conferred at the time under his Commission.

We take no small pride in our contribution to one of the important educational activities of the Grand Lodge, the Lodges of Instruction, an outgrowth of a recognition of the need for added instruction to Candidates, and information to the brethren. This preparation of Candidates was undertaken early in our progress by the formation of our Non-Ritualistic Committee, which has functioned since 1923 to give every Candidate initiated, Crafted and Raised in Wayfarers Lodge an insight into, and a better and more practical understanding of, Masonic origin and its Landmarks.

In common with other Lodges, we have suffered our loss in membership from a high of 468 to 399. We do not however accept this as the inevitable result of a waning interest, although we must admit that the very spirit of the times is a challenge to every institution, not excepting this of ours.

For our part, we are heartened by the response of the brethren to meet this challenge. And our hope for the future is strengthened by the gradual awakening of Youth to the possibilities for service by an alliance with the Fraternity. Let us all be reassured by the words of Worshipful Brother Tatsch, writing in the Masonic Craftsman, who says, "the Historians of the present day are not discouraged", for "periods that seem to be retrogression are simply the whirlpools
and eddies in the river of Freemasonry, which is un
ceasingly flowing, toward the great sea of Universal Brother
hood."

OTHER

  • 1938 (Reduction of fees authorized, 1938-383)

EVENTS

CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, MARCH 1914

From New England Craftsman, Vol. IX, No. 6, March 1914, Page 200:

Wayfarers' Lodge, A. F. & A. M., Swampscott, was formally instituted March 5 by District Deputy Grand Master David G. Bartlet and suite of the 8th Masonic District of Massachusetts. The new lodge starts with 35 charter members, who have been affiliated with Masonic lodges in Lynn.

The organization of Wayfarers' Lodge is the result of a suggestion made last year by Most Worshipful Grand Master Everett C. Benton, who declared while assisting in the laying of the corner stone of the Hadley School that the town should have a Masonic Lodge.

The officers of the new lodge are: Edward G. Brown, Worshipful Master; Clarence E. Cahill, Senior Warden; Herbert A. Woofter, Junior Warden; Walter W. Johnson, Treasurer; Wilbur L. Woodbury, Secretary; Harold W. Loker, Chaplain; Lyman R. Stanley, Marshal; Clarence B. Humphrey, Senior Deacon; Walter L. Browne, Junior Deacon; Frank A. Bucknam, Senior Steward; C. Edward Newhall, Junior Steward; Bertram C. Melzard, Sentinel; Daniel F. Knowlton, Tyler.

LODGE VISIT, OCTOBER 1926

From New England Craftsman, Vol. XXI, No. 12, October 1926, Page 301:

Two of the youngest lodges in Massachusetts, Wayfarers of Salem and Bethlehem of Lynn, have become a sort of "Damon and Pythias," as it were, with frequent fraternal visitations. One of these delightful events occurred on the evening of October 15, when the brethren from the witch city were the guests of the fraters in the city of shoes.

At 6:30 the Fellowcraft Club of Bethlehem Lodge served one of its much appreciated suppers. After the repast Worshipful Master William H. Sutherland introduced as the special guest of the evening, Brother George B. Hoskins of Charity Lodge of Cambridge, a member of the staff of The Masonic Craftsman. He gave a rapid-fire 20-minute talk on "Personal Experiences in India," in which country he lived eight years. His description of the home life, servants, animals, methods of travel and some of the interesting scenic attractions were quite out of the ordinary run of travel lectures, and led to an invitation to entertain in a similar way in the near future the members of the Wayfarers Lodge.

The E. A. degree was conferred on five candidates and was exemplified bv the officers of Wayfarers Lodge, who are: W. M., James Arthur Breed; Chaplain, Rev. John Vannevar; S. W., William H. Gowell; J. W., Roy S. Bishop; Marshal, Herbert P. Hollnagel; S. D., George W. Goodwin; J. D., James C. Sutter; Steward, Frederick A. McKannon, Jr.; Tyler, Frank A. Goodwin.


GRAND LODGE OFFICERS


DISTRICTS

1914: District 8 (Lynn)

1927: District 8 (Salem)

2003: District 9


LINKS

Massachusetts Lodges