Chartered By: Percival L. Everett
Charter Date: 06/14/1876 1876-31
Precedence Date: 05/11/1875
Current Status: Active
- George W. Merritt, 1875, 1876, 1877
- Charles A. Cole, 1878, 1879
- John J. Ford, 1880-1883
- George H. Briggs, 1884, 1885
- Charles E. Bramhall, 1886
- Walter L. Damon, 1887, 1888
- Caleb L. Damon, 1889, 1890
- Nehemiah T. Merritt, 1891
- Charles R. Folsom, 1892, 1893
- John Whalen, 1894, 1895
- Arthur R. Tirrell, 1896, 1897
- William H. Sampson, 1898
- Edward O. Cooke, 1899, 1900
- Alfred W. Shepard, 1901, 1902
- Ansel F. Servan, 1903, 1904
- Edgar L Willard, 1905
- Carroll A. Faxon, 1906
- Charles W. Stodder, 1907, 1908; Mem
- Edgar L. Hitchcock, 1909, 1910
- Charles W. Peare, 1911, 1912; Mem
- Frank F. Hammond, 1913, 1914
- Henry T. Cole, 1915
- Chester R. Sherman, 1916, 1917
- Arthur H. Lane, 1918
- Archie W. Torrey, 1919, 1920
- Harry M. Litchfield, 1921
- Philip S. Bailey, 1922, 1923; N
- Peter S. Somers, 1924
- Edward I. Wade, 1925
- William M. Wade, 1926
- Alan C. Litchfield, 1927
- Fred A. Beals, Jr., 1928, 1929
- Edwin L. Cook, 1930
- Prescott A. Damon, 1931, 1932
- Henry B. Merritt, 1933
- James Finnie, 1934, 1935
- Franklin T. Sharp, 1936
- B. Merrill Kingsley, 1937, 1938; N
- Edgar H. Ellms, 1939
- Malcolm E. Wilder, 1940, 1941
- Russell L. Fish, 1942, 1943
- Robert M. Dow, 1944
- Percy L. Embree, 1945
- Lester J. Gates, 1946, 1947
- Richard L. Brown, 1948, 1949
- Joseph W. Lineberry, 1950
- Alden Finnie, 1951
- John H. Moir, 1952
- John H. Hakubens, 1953
- Walter S. Allen, Jr., 1954
- Robert W. Finnie, 1955, 1965
- Myron F. Litchfield, 1956
- Arthur L. Spear, 1957; N
- Malcolm F. Hall, 1958, 1959, 1989, 1990, 1995, 1996; N
- Richard E. Vergobbe, 1960
- Philip I. Rockwood, 1961, 1962
- W. Wayne Higgins, 1963
- Gordon F. Hunter, 1964, 1965
- Carl C. Chessia, Jr., 1966
- John T. MacDougall, 1967
- Robert H. Greim, 1968
- T. Ray Cary, Jr., 1969
- John R. Brown, 1970, 1993, 1994, 1997, 2001
- Robert J. Walker, 1971
- Walter C. Pihl, 1972
- Everett D. Thompson, 1973
- Robert A. Goodwin, 1974
- Robert Manning, 1975
- Alan B. Kinsley, 1976
- Frank H. Handy, Jr., 1977, 1998, 1999
- William J. Brooks, 1978
- Jeffrey C. Brown, 1979
- Roger C. Trueblood, 1980, 1981
- Philip M. McCaffrey, 1982, 1988; N
- John B. Hammill, 1983
- Edward A. Tower, 1984
- Robert F. Lavoine, 1985
- Bradford E. Spear, 1986, 2009, 2010
- David C. LaVange, 1987
- Charles R. Lesher, 1991, 1992
- Richard K McMullan, 2000
- John R. Rhodes, III, 2002-03
- John W. Richardson, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013
- Curtis J. Robinson, 2005, 2006
- Michael Smith, 2011
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1875
- Petition for Charter: 1876
- Consolidation Petition (with Nantascot Lodge): 1996
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1876 (Everett; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication)
- 1881 (Lawrence)
- 1910 (Flanders)
- 1929 (H. Dean; hall dedication; Special Communication)
- 1951 (Roy; 75th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1965 (Osgood)
- 1972 (Vose)
- 1974 (Vose; table lodge)
- 1976 (Maxwell; Centenary; Special Communication)
- 1996 (A. Johnson; Consolidation; Special Communication)
75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, JUNE 1951
From Proceedings, Page 1951-165:
By Worshipful William M. Wade.
On May 11, 1875, acting on a petition signed by twenty-six Masons of Scituate, praying to be congregated into a regular Lodge under the name and title of Satuit Lodge, and recommended by Konohassett Lodge of Cohasset, Percival Lowell Everett, Grand Master of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, granted the dispensation authorizing and empowering the aforesaid Brethren to form and open Satuit Lodge after the manner of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons.
The first regular communication of Satuit Lodge under dispensation opened in form on May 22, 1875, on the Third Degree. Worshipful George W. Merritt presided in the East, Brother Charles A. Cole in the West and Brother C. L. Damon in the South. At this meeting there were six petitions for degrees. A vote of thanks was extended to Robert Clark of Plymouth for the pieces of marble which he presented to the Lodge. A vote of thanks was given to Brother Joseph W. Tilden for a picture which he presented to the Lodge with the stipulation that it was to be the property of Satuit Lodge as long as it remains a Lodge, then to go to him or his heirs. At the second regular communication of Satuit Lodge, sixteen members and eight visitors were present. Five petitions for membership were balloted upon, all having been reported on favorably; three were elected and two were rejected. A Lodge of Master Masons was then closed and a Lodge of Entered Apprentices opened, and the first three members elected by-ballot were initiated.
During the years immediately following, a number of candidates were rejected, despite favorable recommendations, indicating that great care was used to select only those whose reputations were without a blemish.
On February 12, 1876, it was voted to grant a loan to Brother C. F. Kendall if he desired it (rate of interest not stated). At a regular communication held June 17, 1891, it was voted to tender a vote of thanks to Brother Everett Torrey for a rough and a perfect ashler presented by him to the Lodge.
During the years approaching the next century, the Lodge made a slow and steady growth. The usual attendance at the meetings averaged about twenty. The Lodge held their meetings for many years in the Seaverns Block on Front Street, until it was deemed expedient to move to cramped, but more private quarters in a room on the second floor of the G. A. R. Hall at Scituate Center.
As Satuit Lodge continued to grow, the need of a more suitable meeting place became apparent. Through the initiative of a small group of members led by Brother Joseph O. Severance, Jr., a movement was started to construct a temple on Country Way, Scituate Center. Brother Severance obtained a considerable number of pledges for financial assistance and various donations of furniture for the interior of the building. Enthusiastic support by the membership brought this project to fruition, and on June 10, 1929, at the 101st special communication, the new temple was dedicated, with Worshipful Master Fred A. Beals, Jr. presiding. The lodge-room was filled to capacity, with about 180 members and visitors on hand. A sizeable delegation of Grand Lodge Officers were in attendance, headed by Most Worshipful Grand Master Herbert W. Dean and Right Worshipful Grand Secretary Frederick W. Hamilton, supplemented by a large suite of officers from neighboring Lodges. The ancient ceremony of dedication with corn, wine and oil was interspersed with selections from the Weber Male Quartet. A splendid banquet was served, after which many gifts were presented to the Lodge and accepted by the Worshipful Master.
In the new temple the Lodge continued to grow, and although the financial burden was heavy, particularly during the depression period, the crisis was passed and the obstacles surmounted through the wholehearted efforts of the membership, until today Satuit Lodge is in splendid condition, is attracting new members regularly, and under capable leadership and a present membership of 210, all signs point to continued and successful progress in the years to come.
On this seventy-fifth anniversary date, we mourn those officers and members who have gone to visit that "undiscovered country from whose bourne no traveler returns," but who contributed so much to Masonry while still among us.
In conclusion, on this memorable occasion, let our earnest prayers go to the leaders of our nation and those men and women risking their lives in our behalf, that freedom, our way of life, and our beloved Fraternity shall continue to survive and flourish in an uninterrupted era of world peace.
CENTENARY HISTORY, MAY 1976
From Proceedings, Page 1976-138:
By Worshipful Robert S. Andrews and Worshipful Robert A. Goodwin.
The Secretaries of Satuit Lodge in the faithful performance of their duties have left for us a record of our past which time cannot erase.
When the new Lodge first saw the light of day on May 11, 1875, interest and enthusiasm was at a high pitch. Acting on a petition signed by twenty-six residents of Scituate and recommended by Konohassett Lodge, Percival Lowell Everett, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts granted the dispensation authorizing and empowering the brethren to form and open Satuit Lodge after the manner of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.
The first regular communication of Satuit Lodge, under dispensation, opened in form on May 22, 1875, on the third degree. Worshipful Brother George W. Merritt presided in the East; Brother Charles A. Cole in the West and Brother C. L. Damon in the South.
Carefully the brethren selected its new candidates of which there were seventeen, fourteen were elected to receive the degrees as conferred in Satuit Lodge A. F. & A. M., with a number of candidates being rejected, despite favorable recommendation, indicating that great care was used to select only those whose reputations were without a blemish.
Our first Secretary was Brother George H. Curtis, a man of few but sufficient words. We learn from the records that the mean attendance at our communications was twenty-three brethren. The work was good by any standard and in spite of many trials and tribulations our leadership never lost faith.
Brother Benjamin Thomas Turner was the first to be raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason. The second was Brother Elisha Winston Lapham. They were both raised at our Fourth Special Communication which was held at Masonic Hall in the Seaverns Block on Front Street, on November 6, 1875.
Money in those days had an instrinsic worth — long since gone. To wit, the Lodge furnishings were insured, by vote of the Lodge, for $300., a tidy sum in 1875. The fee for the three degrees was $35.
On July 8, 1875, the Lodge instructed the Treasurer to procure a seal. A Special Communication was held on Wednesday, June 21, 1876 for the purpose of constituting this infant Satuit Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons. There were present at the ceremonies ten of our brethren, together with the Grand Lodge Officers. At 3:30 P.M., the ceremonies having been completed, Most Worshipful Percival Lowell Everett, Grand Master of Masons, and suite retired. We had indeed taken our first and biggest step on the arduous road which lay ahead.
Perhaps events which we should recall include the installation on May 19, 1877 of our second Secretary, Brother Moses B. Coleman ; the passing of Brother James L. Prouty on May 23, 1877, our first Brother to leave this Earthly Lodge and seek admission to the Celestial Lodge where all good Masons hope to find eternal rest; November 24, 1877 we voted to have refreshments at each Communication. On February 3, 1877, on a motion by Brother Charles A. Cole, we voted to have our first Masonic Party, the same to be held at Masonic Hall on Wednesday evening, February 14, 1877. At this late date we can readily infer that our ancient Brethren were anxious that their ladies hold the Lodge in good favor.
Of special note was our Communication of September 11, 1878 when thirty-one members and fifty visitors were present. It was the occasion of the Official Visitation by the Right Worshipful Leavitt Bates and Suite. The work of that evening was the raising to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason of Brother James Edwin Otis.
Soon our desire to survive was to be tested. The spark of newness seemed to diminish and the Lodge began to lose some of its zeal. On April 12, 1879, we voted to confer with Konohassett Lodge on the subject of consolidation. A committee was appointed, namely Brothers Moses B. Coleman, John J. Ford, and William W. Gordak. They made their report on May 10, 1879. Whereupon Brother August Cole was chosen as a committee of one to confer further with Konohassett Lodge on the matter of consolidation. On June 7, 1879, he asked for an extension of time and the move for consolidation ceased for the time.
It was a great testing of times, survival seemed in grave danger, demits increased, for lack of a quorum meetings were not held, our financial structure was in jeopardy. We voted to assess each brother $10. that we might satisfy a note held by the Scituate Savings Bank. The courageous brethren kept faith and we survived.
In September 1881, we held our first Public Installation of Officers with Brother Walter L. Damon installed as our Worshipful Master.
We moved forward again and we learned with pleasure that on October 28, 1882 a voluntary contribution was sent to the Grand Lodge to assist in the relief of our distressed brethren of Escambia Lodge of Pensacola, Florida.
Another year, another leader sitting in King Solomon's Chair, Worshipful George W. Briggs. Still struggling and refusing to go under, the times were difficult and our Brethren were experiencing difficulty in meeting their financial obligations. It was in consequence of this that a committee was appointed to try to save the delinquents.
The passing of time brought not only joy but also some sadness. So it was that on January 1, 1886, our brethren of yore were moved to grief with the passing of our Brother Nathaniel P. Brownell. For a span of ninety days the Lodge jewels and furnishings were draped in mourning. Brother Nathaniel P. Brownell was born at Pomfret, Vermont, February 6, 1825 and graduated from Dartmouth College in 1845. He was raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason in Konohassett Lodge, December 13, 1872, affiliated with Satuit Lodge on April 20, 1877 and departed this life on May 29, 1886. Brother Brownell was widely known and greatly respected as a physician and a member of various Medical Societies.
It may be of some surprise to our present day officers to learn that the "Lodge of Instruction" is more ancient than may have been supposed. On April 21, 1886 we received from the Right Worshipful District Deputy Grand Master, Charles I. Litchfield, a communication directing that we attend a Lodge of Instruction to be held at Masons Hall, Hingham, May 21, 1886.
When the Lodge reconvened in September of 1886, we were still much concerned over our financial wellbeing and our poor attendance at our Communications. The brethren voted themselves a Committee of the Whole to endeavor to rectify this situation and it is a pleasure to note that their efforts met with at least some temporary success.
Perhaps our brethren of old felt that a change of environment might prove to be beneficial. In any event, on March 15, 1889 a committee was appointed to examine the feasibility of finding new Apartments in North Scituate. The committee was composed of Worshipful Caleb Damon, Brother Joseph Bailey and Brother Everett Wilder. In light of events that were to transpire some fifty years later, the report of the committee was of special interest, being as follows: "Your committee has investigated all of the circumstances in connection therewith and have unanimously come to the conclusion that the only possible way to secure to Satuit Lodge a suitable and permanent place to hold its meetings is to form a Stock Company." A supplementary report was also presented by Brother Wilder wherein he informed the brethren that a building could be purchased in North Scituate for $700. and the necessary land for $75. The building could be moved and fitted with a store in the lower part and the entire expense would be $1200. It was the vote of the Lodge to accept the report and that we move to North Scituate provided suitable accommodations can be secured there, the same committee to act on the matter with full power to consummate the deal.
Perhaps we should include in our chronicle the sojourn to Plymouth on August 1, 1889. The brethren, upon invitation from our Most Worshipful Grand Master Henry Endicott, participated in the ceremonies of dedication of the National Monument to the Pilgrims at Plymouth. It was a very stormy day and the brethren were thoroughly drenched in the rain. Their discomfort, however, was greatly reduced following the ceremonies. They were invited by the brethren of Plymouth Lodge to join in a most bountiful feast, a collation at Lyceum Hall.
February 15, 1890, marked the close of the first era in our history. It was on this day that the brethren paid their last respects to our first Worshipful Master, Brother George Whitney Merritt. He was buried with full Masonic honors, the services being held at the Unitarian Church. It was a beautiful and impressive service, but his passing left the bereaved brethren with a great sense of loss. His leadership had been for a long time our guiding light. Worshipful George Whitney Merritt let his light so shine before man and his community that they saw his good works and veritably he glorified his Father in Heaven. He was born in Scituate, October 6, 1831; departed February 10, 1890; a veteran of the Civil War; raised in Saint John's Lodge in Boston on November 6, 1865; a Royal Arch Mason; a Knight Templar of South Shore Commandery, Knights Templar. He was chosen Master of Satuit Lodge on May 11, 1875, a station he served with much ardor and great zeal all his remaining years. He also held various offices in Grand Lodge.
April 9, 1890 we became a moon lodge, a lodge that meets on or after the full of the moon. To effect this change it was necessary to change our By-Laws. At that time Worshipful Caleb L. Damon was our presiding Master. New leaders were now arising on the horizon. One who was destined to play a major role in our early years was Worshipful Nehemiah T. Merritt, our Worshipful Master in 1891. Previous to his ascension in the East he had served a long apprenticeship as Secretary.
Pleasing it is to find in the records the acknowledgement of generous gifts to the Lodge. In 1891, Brother Everett Torrey presented to the Lodge a gift of a Rough and a Perfect Ashler. Brother William Wade, Secretary, presented an organ to the Lodge to be used as long as it exists. Right Worshipful Sirus Nickerson presented a gift of song books to the Lodge. All of the gifts were gratefully acknowledged by the brethren of the Lodge.
Among those special gifts to the Lodge, we would be remiss not to include the gift on January 17, 1892 from Worshipful Nehemiah T. Merritt and Brother Charles R. Folsom of the revised By-Laws presented entirely at their expense. At the following Communication it was proposed to grant Honorary Membership to Worshipful Nehemiah T. Merritt in recognition of his valuable services. On February 10, 1892, by an unanimous vote of the Brethren, he was elected our first Honorary Member.
In September 1894, the Brethren again got restless and efforts were made to find new apartments in Greenbush if accommodations could be found there. The movement failed to progress and we remained at Masons Hall.
Brother John H. Collamore, a distinguished Mason, a Sir Knight of Boston Commandery Knights Templar, a Masonic philanthropist, gave collars to the Lodge. In grateful appreciation of his generosity, Satuit Lodge elected Brother Collamore an Honorary Member.
In 1895, a significant year in our history, the brethren again sought to find new surroundings. A Committee was formed to see if arrangements could be made to lease quarters in the Smith Building, but as had happened before, the proposed change was doomed to failure.
Perhaps in the hope that we might witness more of the hand of the Supreme Architect of the Universe, Worshipful John Whalen in January 1895 appointed Brother Julius N. Mallory our first Chaplain. He served in that station for one year and the following year was elected Secretary, whereupon Reverend Brother Watson Weed became our Chaplain, and from that day to this the station of the Chaplain has been occupied.
The sinking of the Maine precipitated the Spanish American War, and our Brother Mason, Brother George Packard Clapp, seized with a great desire to serve his country, volunteered his services. The Brethren, noting his devotion and loyalty to the country, directed the Secretary to spread upon the records their best wishes and hopes for the safe return of Brother Clapp, with a copy of this resolution being sent to him.
May it also be remembered that the Brethren of the Lodge knew well the tenets of their profession. It is recorded that in 1898 the Brethren of Phoenix Lodge, being in need of quarters, the Brethren of Satuit Lodge granted them the use of our Lodge apartments and regalia.
April 19, 1899 marked the 50th anniversary of the raising to the Sublime Degree of our beloved and greatly revered Past Worshipful Master and Honorary Member, Brother Nehemiah Thomas Merritt. He was in failing health and could not be present for the ceremonies, but by a vote of the Lodge, Brother George Welch, Worshipful John Ford, and Worshipful E. O. Cooke were directed and did carry to him a memorial. Worshipful Nchemiah T. Merritt was indeed a dignified, zealous and efficient member of the Craft and an inspiration to all those who knew him. On October 3, 1900 he left us, never to return, and we have confidence to believe was admitted to the Celestial Lodge above where he now rests in everlasting peace. This was our 25th year. How better can we close its story than to quote from a memorial spread upon the records of the Lodge in his name. "He left the Lodge in a prosperous and progressive condition to which he aspired and which he was largely instrumental in bringing about."
As we prepared to sail on into the next quarter century, our prudent Brethren of old increased the annual dues from $4.00 to $6.00 for the support of the Lodge and the By-Laws were amended accordingly. Of interest to the charitably inclined is a note to be found in our records that there was now a balance of $44. in our Charity Fund. We were moving forward again. Worshipful E. O. Cooke was in the East. Our Secretary, the faithful and charitable Brother, Worshipful Charles \V. Peare, signified to the Brethren at the end of his term in office his desire that his fee of $1.00 per communication be paid over to the Charity Fund.
With considerable wisdom and foresight, the Brethren voted on January 18, 1905 to deposit the Original Charter in Grand Lodge and obtain a duplicate for the use of the Lodge. It was an unanimous vote of the Brethren present ami voting that such action be taken.
Satuit Lodge joined with the other Lodges in this Grand Jurisdiction of Massachusetts to support in 1908 our Most Worshipful Grand Master, John Albert Blake, in his efforts to establish a Masonic Home at Charlton.
On December 22, 1909, we received notice that under the last will and testament of our Honorary Member John H. Collamore a remembrance had been left to the Lodge of $670. The original amount of the bequest was $500. but time and interest had increased the amount to $670., which amount was added to our Charity Fund.
We were unhappy in our Apartments and in June voted to omit the meetings for the balance of the year. When meetings were resumed, largely through the efforts of Brother Charles Stafford Short, efforts were made to secure better ventilation, water and electricity.
The Masonic Home is now a reality and among those early guests at Charlton was the widow of our Worshipful Brother Charles T. Chubbuck, Mrs. May Graves Chubbuck. In those years, 1910-1911, Worshipful Charles W. Stodder, our Past Master and now Right Worshipful, the first to serve in that capacity from Satuit Lodge, was putting forth all possible effort to assure the success of the new Masonic Home.
Rapidly the years now move ahead, membership is increasing, and in a burst of enthusiasm we prepare to celebrate in a grand way our 37th Anniversary. The affair was well planned and executed. A very large Committee was formed to insure its success. The Committee outdid itself and received the grateful and hearty approbation of all the Brethren of the Lodge.
On December 12, 1913 sadness again struck our Brethren as word was received that Right Worshipful Charles William Stodder would no longer be with us to guide the Brethren over the rough and rugged paths. He was buried with full Masonic honors with many of the Brethren from throughout the Plymouth District present to pay their respects. Right Worshipful Charles William Stodder truly did more than his share to advance Masonry in this District.
"He was an earnest healer of the sick and a friend to the poor", so read the resolution on his passing prepared by Worshipful John Whalen, Worshipful Chester R. Sherman and Worshipful Henry T. Cole.
June 10, 1914 we began the modern era of Satuit Lodge for it was on that day that William M. Wade was raised in Satuit Lodge to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason. In 1926 he would be our Worshipful Master and now in 1976 is our Senior Past Worshipful Master. His Masonic life has spanned more than fifty years, more than half our Lodge's life Today he, as those who preceded and have followed him, is held in the highest esteem by his Brethren.
In August 1914, the Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated at Sarajevo and we were again at war with many of our Brethren of Satuit Lodge serving their country.
In the year 1915, and the next few years, we began to see a change in the Lodge with the increasing of membership from 76 to 120 in three short years. This increase showed in increased effectiveness. Many other changes were beginning to take place.
In the month of April 1915, Satuit Lodge was infiltrated by a man posing as a medical examiner asking for money to continue work in a special field, but he was exposed as a fraud by one of the vigilant Brethren.
In June 1916, the Master, Worshipful Chester R. Sherman, ordered the body of Captain Montgomery, who was lost from one of the barges wrecked on the Scituate shore during a storm, to be taken care of until claimed by proper authorities. The Grand Lodge was notified and a directive from the Grand Master requested all Lodges in the area to take great care of all bodies and to take no chances. Later a letter was received from Captain Edsterland of the wrecked barge Ashland commending the Masons of Scituate.
During the June 1916 meeting the degree work for the evening was interrupted by a noise from the upper floor and after investigating, it was found that the owners of the building (two sisters) were using it for sleeping quarters. This incident caused great concern among the Brethren and it was again decided to move to other quarters for the monthly meetings. A vote was passed in July to build a Temple of our own, with Konohasset Lodge offering Satuit Lodge use of their apartments until such time. Many parcels of land were considered and it was decided to go to the center of town, so the call for building money went out. Because of the lack of attendance, the Lodge moved to the Grand Army Hall, Scituate, in April 1918. It was voted at that time to give honorary membership to all members fighting in the war.
During the next five years the Lodge kept going at its own pace, initiating new members, acting on business coming before it, and still trying to find a suitable site for the new Temple, but none seemed right or inexpensive enough.
In July 1925, we were celebrating our 50th Anniversary with a dinner and dance but still had no building to call our own. Brother Joseph O. Severance obtained a considerable number of pledges of financial assistance and donations of furniture for the interior of the building.
Finally in November 1927, the members voted to purchase land across the street from the G. A. R. Hall. Approval was obtained from the Grand Master and a committee was appointed and architectural drawings and specifications were executed by J. William Beal & Sons.
With great support from the Brethren, the project became a reality and on June 10, 1929 at the 101st Special Communication the new Temple was dedicated with Worshipful Master Fred A. Beals, Jr., presiding. (1929 Mass. 101-103) The Lodge room was filled to capacity with approximately ISO members and visitors in attendance. A large delegation of Grand Lodge Officers attended, headed by Most Worshipful Grand Master Herbert W. Dean and Right Worshipful Grand Secretary Frederick W. Hamilton, supplemented by a large suite of officers from Lodges in the District. 1 he ancient ceremony of dedication with corn, wine and oil was helped with selections by the Weber Male Quartet. A banquet was then served and gifts were presented to the Worshipful Master to go toward the new Temple.
With new furniture, a new organ, a new Temple, the membership had great expectations, and rightly so. By late 1938 the Lodge was to have ceiling lights installed by Brother Robert Dyment and supervised by Worshipful Malcolm Wilder.
With the completion of the new Temple, another important event developed. Scituate Chapter No. 213, Order of the Eastern Star was instituted on April 1, 1929 and constituted on November 16 of the same year with Mrs. Amelia Severance serving as the first Worthy Matron and Brother Foye Murphy as the first Worthy Patron. Since that time Satuit Lodge has enjoyed the most friendly relations with the Eastern Star Chapter, which has always been more than willing to cooperate whenever asked to do so. We hope this pleasant association will continue for many years to come.
The next few years were calm and the members and their wives held many dinners in the lower apartments.
The Second World War then took more of Satuit membership into the armed services while the Lodge did its part at home. In 1941, an understudy program was instituted in case officers were drafted into the service. In March and December of 1942, Air Wardens and firemen went to their posts for practice blackouts during the meetings. To save gasoline the Lodge was closed for the months of January, February and March in 1943. All pleasure driving was asked to be curtailed and at that time the 18th Lodge of Instruction was closed for the entire year of 1943.
In 1951, the By-Laws were changed to meet the needs of the Brethren and the meeting night was changed to the fourth Wednesday of the month.
In 1952, Scituate Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star asked Satuit Lodge to help start the Assembly of Rainbow Girls which was instituted March 21, 1953 and constituted April 3, 1954. Brother Arthur Muzzrall, who was Worth)' Patron at the time, became the first Dad Adviser.
The Lodge continued through the years with the help of many, many people. Furnishings were donated and in the 1956 Worshipful Brother J. Lyman Wardsworth and Mrs. Ernest Sparrell presented another organ to the Lodge, which was electrified in 1960. In 1954, through the generosity of Brother Robert Andrews, the Lodge received new aprons.
In May of 1957, Satuit Lodge adopted a resolution to sponsor a DeMolay Chapter and in December of 1958, the Chapter was approved. Mattakeeset Chapter became a reality when it was instituted on February 26, 1959 and constituted on April 11, 1960. During the past sixteen years it has worked in close harmony with Satuit Lodge and many of its members have joined the Lodge after reaching the age of twenty-one.
For the next decade and a half the Lodge performed their regular duties in their usual high standards, along with helping the Rainbow Assembly, and DeMolay Chapter and the Order of Eastern Star, going to Lodges in the District in time of need. We also visited regularly our sister Lodge in North Scituate, Rhode Island, who in turn have visited us annually.
We have also been busy in our own right. Internal clubs have been formed and we have enjoyed the fraternalism of having visiting degree teams visit us. We have expanded our knowledge of Masonry and had fun watching the Eastern Star's version of our Third Degree. We have enjoyed feasting at a Table Lodge and seeing some of our members receive honors which they readily deserve. Worshipful Robert Finnie received the George Washington Masonic National Society Diploma in June of 1961.
Brother J. Herman Johnson was presented his own Marshal's Baton in 1965. Other officers and members have received the Joseph Warren Medal for Distinguished Service, and others. Many have been presented a Veteran's Medal by the Grand Lodge which indicates fifty years of Masonic membership in this Jurisdiction.
Some years ago a Blood Donor Program was initiated under the sponsorship of Grand Lodge and is carried on today under the capable leadership of Worshipful Walter S. Allen, Jr.
In the past 100 years 69 men have served as Worshipful Master, the following six of whom have been honored by the Grand Lodge by having been appointed District Deputy Grand Masters of the Plymouth 27th Masonic District, and thus have brought added honor to Satuit Lodge:
- Charles W. Stodder
- Philip S. Bailey
- Arthur L. Spear
- Charles W. Peare
- B. Merrill Kinsley
- Malcolm F. Hall ( Presiding Deputy)
On this, our 100th Anniversary, we look to the officers and members who have gone to that "undiscovered country from whose bourne no traveler returns", but who contributed a part of their life to this great fraternity and helped this Lodge become what it is today.
And may we say at this time, let our hopeful prayers to the leaders of our great country, to those men and women who give of themselves in our behalf, that our freedom, our way of life and our Grand Fraternity shall continue to flourish and prosper in an uninterrupted era of world peace.
With pride in our past and having withstood the vicissitudes of one hundred years, we go forward with renewed courage and faith in the future.
- 1936 (Reduction of fees approved, 1936-248)
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Philip S. Bailey, DDGM, District 27 (Plymouth), 1934, 1935; N
- Malcolm F. Hall, DDGM, District 27 (Plymouth), 1976, 1977; N
- B. Merrill Kingsley, DDGM, District 27 (Plymouth), 1954, 1955; N
- Philip M. McCaffrey, DDGM, District 27 (Plymouth), 1990, 1991; N
- Charles W. Peare, DDGM, District 27 (Plymouth),, 1916, 1917; Memorial
- Arthur L. Spear, DDGM, District 27 (Plymouth), 1966, 1967; N
- Charles W. Stodder, DDGM, District 25 (Hingham), 1910; District 27 (Plymouth), 1911, 1912; Memorial