Difference between revisions of "SamuelCrockerLawrence"
(→GRAND LODGE OFFICERS)
|Line 144:||Line 144:|
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1970 1970]''' (50th Anniversary History, 1970-200)
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1970 1970]''' (50th Anniversary History, 1970-200)
Revision as of 02:04, 1 January 2015
SAMUEL CROCKER LAWRENCE LODGE
Chartered By: Arthur D. Prince
Charter Date: 06/08/1921 1921-177
Reconstituted: 11/29/2010 2010-122
Precedence Date: 06/26/1920 (retained its original date when reconstituted)
Mystic Valley Lodge merged here, 06/28/1979.
Regranted a dispensation to meet in 2009; charter re-granted 11/29/2010 by Grand Master Pageau.
- Charles B. Dunham, 1921, 1922; N
- Fred L. Moses, 1923
- Richard F. Churchill, 1924, 1925
- Lawrence B. Moore, 1926
- Philip A. Jerguson, 1927
- Charles H. Phinney, 1928
- Edgar H. Savage, 1929
- Oliver F. Kidder, 1930, 1931
- Harry Pearson, 1932
- Charles L. Oxnard, 1933; N
- Daniel W. Boynton, 1934
- Robinsor Abbott, 1935
- Lawrence M. Sibley, 1936
- Walter J. Rhodes, 1937
- Gilbert M. Brown, 1938
- Roy C. MacGee, 1939
- Roger A. Vint, 1940
- Adin B. Bailey, 1941
- Ralph P. Hall, 1942
- Arnold E. Anderson, 1943
- Ronald C. Pratt, 1944
- Everett E. Lang, 1945
- Roy T. Libby, 1946
- Leo A. Appiani, 1947
- Hiram Boaz Lillie, 1948
- Richard B. Engle, 1949
- Albert G. Engle, 1950
- Robert A. Taylor, 1951
- Winifred S. Fuller, 1952
- Stanley C. Paterson, 1953
- Bernard B. Twombly, 1954
- Winthrop S. Polsey, 1955; N
- William E. Jones, 1956
- Sylvanious A. Bosworth, 1957
- Bernard L. Cook, 1958
- Raymond A. Alden, 1959
- Ralph G. Smallige, Jr., 1960
- Frank W. Burger, 1961
- Elmer W. Flodstrom, 1962
- Frank R. Bonitz, 1963
- Arnold R. Carlson, 1964
- Oscar E. Swenson, 1965
- Donald W. Murray, 1966
- Stanley G. Winchester, 1967
- Robert D. Flodstrom, 1968
- George E. Hayward, 1969
- Raymond G. Wise, Jr., 1970
- C. Edward Estes, 1971; SN'
- Louis C. Labella, 1972
- Edwin A. Burnes, Jr., 1973, 1974
- Clayton Myers, 1975
- Kenneth S. Lowe, 1976
- Thomas M. Leach, 1977
- Stanley G. Winchester, 1978
- Austin M. Day, 1979
- James Roberts, 1980, 1981, 1989, 2000-2003
- James D. Roberts, 1982
- Nathan Oremland, 1983, 1984
- Ilidio M. Silva, 1985
- William T. Keough, 1986-1988
- John R. Cannon Jr., 1990, 1991, 1995
- Steve J. Gogolos, 1992; N
- Sheldon D. Goldberg, 1993, 1994
- Herbert V. Canfield, 1996-1998
- Malcolm A. Watson, 1999
- Frank J. Kautz, II, 2009-2012
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1920
- Petition for Charter: 1921
- Consolidation Petition (with Mystic Valley Lodge): 1979
- Consolidation Petition (with John Abbot Lodge): 2001
- Petition for Restoration of Charter: 2010
- 1970 (50th Anniversary)
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1921 (Prince; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication)
- 1922 (Prince)
- 1938 (Perry; installation)
- 1970 (Jaynes; 50th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1975 (Maxwell)
- 1979 (Melanson; Consolidation; Special Communication)
- 1983 (Berquist)
- 1995 (Lovering; installation)
- 2001 (Bauer; Consolidation; Special Communication)
- 2010 (Pageau; Restoration of Charter; Special Communication)
75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, SEPTEMBER 1995
From Proceedings, Page 1995-147:
On Thursday evening, June 24, 1920, a group of forty-six Masons met in the Masonic apartments of Mount Hermon Lodge, which at the time was located on the second floor above the old Boston and Maine Railroad Station on Main Street in Medford Square. Their purpose was to take the initial steps to form a second Masonic Lodge in Medford Square. The presiding Master of Mount Herman Lodge, Wor. Berton Guy Alice, was presiding at this meeting . The honor of being elected the first Master of the new Lodge went to the Rt. Wor. Charles B. Durham, (Past Master of Mount Herman Lodge in 1906 and 1907). The new Lodge was named in memory of Samuel Crocker Lawrence.
The minutes of that meeting stated that General Samuel Crocker Lawrence was one of Medford's most distinguished sons, and one who has been found worthy to receive all the honors of Freemasonry that could be bestowed upon a craftsman in the United States of America. General Lawrence was internationally known and was recognized as having gathered together the finest Masonic Libraries in the world at that time. On June 26, 1920, with the confirmation of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, a warrant was issued to Rt. Wor. Daniel W. Lawrence, and seventy-five others, to form Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge in Medford. Daniel W. Lawrence was the eldest brother of Samuel Crocker Lawrence.
On Tuesday, November 9, 1920, a meeting of the Charter Members was held at the Masonic Apartments for the purpose of the Institution of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge. Rt. Wor. Charles H. Miles, District Deputy Grand Master for the 6th Masonic District, assisted by Wor. Arthur D. Stone, District Deputy Grand Marshal, performed the service of the Installation by installing Rt. Wor. Charles B. Durham, as Master of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge, and similarly installing the other Officers. The 1st Communication of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge under the dispensation was held on Tuesday, December 14, 1920. The first work performed by the Officers of the Lodge was to confer the Entered Apprentice Degree upon four candidates.
The 9th Communication of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge was held on Wednesday, June 22, 1921, for the purpose of Constituting Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge. Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, accompanied by his Suite of Grand Lodge Officers was received by the Lodge. The Most Worshipful Grand Master performed the Ceremony of Constituting Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge. Following this, the Most Worshipful Grand Master installed Rt. Wor. Charles B. Durham as Master. The remaining officers were installed by various other Officers of the Grand Lodge.
The minutes of the 20th Communication of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge, May 9, 1922, records that a gift of a Gavel, Warden's Truncheon, and Marshal's Baton were presented to Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge, by the Mystic Royal Arch Chapter. They were presented by Bro. Charles H. Phinney, Junior Deacon of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge, who at that time was serving as the excellent High Priest of the Chapter.
The minutes of the 21st Communication, May 23, 1922, acknowledges the receipt of a gift of the Holy Bible, Square and Compasses from Mount Herman Lodge. They are currently in use upon the Altar of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge at this time.
The minutes of the 33rd Communication, April 10, 1923, refer to the receipt of various beautiful gifts of the regalia presented to the Lodge by Mrs. Samuel Crocker Lawrence. If you look at the Deacon's and Steward's rods with engraved silver tips you will see some of the gifts of Mrs. Samuel Crocker Lawrence that are currently used in the Lodge.
The 61st Communication of the Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge was held on November 17, 1925, in the new Masonic Hall at 24 High Street, which is the upstairs apartments of Cradock's Apothecary. It also marked the 5th Anniversary of the Lodge. Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge has always been an active and friendly Lodge. Many of the members have been well-known throughout Medford in civic, community, business, and church activities. The Officers and members, with the combined contribution of their work for the betterment of the Lodge and the community, deserve commendation. It is impossible to credit each individual for his effort, but the following are those who have served Masonry either by their years of service as an Officer or have served the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, beyond the portals of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge.
The first Master of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge, Rt. Wor. Charles B. Durham, was District Deputy Grand Master of the 6th Masonic District in 1908, many years before the Institution of the Lodge. The second Master of the Lodge was Rt. Wor. Fred L. Moses, who was presiding Master of Soley Lodge at the time of the Institution of our Lodge, and served as District Deputy in 1923 and 1924. Assisting him as District Deputy Grand Marshal was Wor. Edward B. Ladd of Soley Lodge and the District Deputy Grand Secretary, Charles E. Cole, of Soley Lodge. Rt. Wor. Bro. Moses later served in 1927, as Junior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts.
Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge was again honored by an appointment of Rt. Wor. Charles L. Oxnard as District Deputy Grand Master for the Arlington 6th Masonic District for the years 1937 and 1938. The 6th Masonic District was divided into the Arlington 6th andSomerville 6th in 1927.
Rt. Wor. George Emery Green, a Charter Member of the Lodge and it's Secretary for 14 years, was also Master of Mount Hermon Lodge in 1921 and 1922, and served as Grand Lecturer of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts for 25 years from 1930 to 1954. He was Grand Representative for the Grand Lodge of New Mexico from 1949 until he laid down the tools of the Craft in 1960 and entered the Celestial Lodge.
It is interesting to learn from the minutes of the Lodge, that Rt. Wor Roger A. Vint was Installed as Master of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge in 1938 by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Joseph Earl Perry. Bro. Vint was then serving as a private secretary. He had been employed in the office of the Grand Master from 1927 until retirement in 1962 and most of that time as secretary to each incumbent Grand Master. Rt. Wor. Bro. Bent has been Grand Repre sentative of the Grand Lodge of Manitoba, Canada, from 1950 until his untimely death.
Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge was honored to have Wor. Winfield S. Fuller as Master of the 13th Lodge of Instruction in 1957-1958. Since that time, there have been four additional Masters: Wor. Arnold R. Carlson, Wor. James Roberts, Wor. Ilidio M. Silva, and Wor. John R. Cannon. Also, we have had five District Deputies, starting with Rt. Wor. Charles B. Durham, Rt. Wor. Fred L. Moses, Rt. Wor. Charles L. Oxnard, Rt. Wor. Winthrop S. Polsey, and Rt. Wor. C. Edward Estes.
On Monday, May 11, 1970, at 30 High Street, Medford, in the new apartments above Cradock's Apothecary, Most Worshipful Herbert H. Jaynes, Grand Master, was received by Rt. Wor. Winthrop S. Polsey as Chairman, and Wor. C. Edward Estes as Master of the Lodge on the special occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the Lodge.
Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge has had seven Secretaries from the year 1920 to present. The Lodge has had nineteen 50-year members, of which eight are still with us at the present time. We are also proud to announce that Wor. Steve J. Gogolos, Past Grand Steward, and Fred L. Moses, Past Junior Grand Warden were also members of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge.
March 16, 1971, a Fraternal visitation was made by the District Deputy, who at that time was Rt. Wor. Robert Johnston, his Marshal and his Secretary. We note that his Marshal was Wor. William G. Manchester and his Secretary was Gilbert R. Foster.
The next visit to the Lodge was by Rt. Wor. Charles L. Oxnard. The purpose of the visit was to present a 50 year Veterans Medal to Rt. Wor. Roger A. Vint. After receiving the Veterans Medal, Rt. Wor Charles Sergeant presented Roger with a gift from his many friends in Major General Henry Knox Lodge. Rt. Wor. Oxnard spent several minutes reminiscing about the many years they had spent together in the Grand Lodge.
September 13, 1975, the Installation of the officers of Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge was done by Most Worshipful Stanley F. Maxwell accompanied by Rt. Wor. Brenton E. Tyler, his Grand Marshal. He was escorted to the East by Past Master Rt. Wor. Charles L. Oxnard who was Chairman of the Committee. The Grand Master installed Thomas M. Leach as Master, W. Clinton Myers as Senior Warden, and Wor. Stanley Winchester as Junior Warden. He then turned it over to the Grand Lodge Officers to install the remaining Officers.
On September 10, 1977, the first meeting was held in the new armory on 92 High Street when Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge was moved from the Masonic Apartments at 30 High Street.
On Tuesday, October 17, 1979, the Grand Master, Most Worshipful Arthur H. Melanson made a visit to Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge. The Masters of both Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge and Mystic Valley Lodge were introduced by Wor. Winthrop S. Polsey to the Grand Master. The Charter and Seal of Mystic Valley Lodge were turned over to the Grand Lodge. The other property of the Lodge was turned over to Samuel Crocker Lawrence Lodge. The Grand Master gave a brief talk about the merger and introduced Most Worshipful Herbert H. Jaynes, Past Grand Master; Most Worshipful Whitfield W. Johnson, Past Grand Master; Rt. Wor. Robert H. Stevens, Senior Grand Warden; and Rt. Wor. Edgar W. Darling, all of whom had a brief but interesting talk.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Charles B. Dunham, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1908; N
- C(lair). Edward Estes, DDGM, District 6 (Arlington), 1985, 1986; SN
- Steven J. Gogolos, DDGM, District 6 (Arlington), 1999, 2000; N
- Frank J. Kautz, II, DDGM, District 3, 2015
- Fred L. Moses, DDGM, District 6 (Somerville), 1922, 1923; Senior Grand Warden 1928
- Charles L. Oxnard, DDGM, District 6 (Arlington), 1937, 1938; N
- Winthrop S. Polsey, DDGM, District 6 (Arlington), 1959, 1960; N
after regranting of dispensation
The curator for this page is Brother Alan Jones. Please direct informational updates and questions to him.