- King Philip Lodge, from 1866 to the present.
- Massasoit Lodge, from 1915 to its merger with Narragansett Lodge in 1976.
- Massasoit-Narragansett Lodge, from 1976 to the present.
- Mount Hope Lodge, from 1824 to the present.
- Narragansett Lodge, from 1875 to its merger with Narragansett Lodge in 1976.
- Watuppa Lodge, from 1926 to the surrender of its charter in 2002.
- 05/22/1885: 1885-27; Dedication of Masonic Hall, Special Communication.
- 05/06/1922: 1922-112; Corner-stone laying, at a Special Communication; see below.
- 10/06/1923: 1923-360; Hall dedication, at a Special Communication.
- 06/20/1981: 1981-71; Hall dedication, at a Special Communication.
BUILDING DESCRIPTION, AUGUST 1885
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. IX, No. 5, August 1885, Page 143:
In a recent Masonic visit to Fall River, Mass., opportunity was afforded for a careful inspection of the new building erected by the brethren of that city and somewhat recently dedicated to Freemasonry by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. The cost of occupancy is equitably shared between two Lodges, a Royal Arch Chapter, a Council of Royal and Select Masters, and a Commandery of Knights Templars. The following description is from the Fall River News: —
The structure, which serves the twofold purpose of providing the various Masonic bodies with much-needed accommodation, and also of furnishing a well arranged and commodious hall for public use, for entertainments, lectures, balls, etc., is built of brick on a heavy stone foundation, and has a front of 74 feet on Franklin street, extending back 90 feet from the street. There are two broad entrances from Franklin Street, one at the east end opening into the public hall, and the other on the west of the front, opening on the broad stairways leading to the Masonic Lodge rooms. The front is on the street line, and both entrances are in recess.
The stone steps at the east entrance lead to the broad swinging doors of the public entrance. The visitor first enters a broad vestibule with the ticket office on the left. This vestibule opens through wide, swinging doors into the public hall, which is 42 by 69 feet, and 20 feet high. At the south end of the hall is a raised platform. At the right of entrance, on the Franklin Street front, is the gentlemen's dressing-room, 16 feet, 3 inches by 19 feet, 6 inches, and a toilet-room, 6 by 9 feet. Opening from the main half on the west side through two broad entrances is a huge parlor, 22 by 42 feet, with a handsome fireplace and splendid furnishings.
Opening from the parlor at the north side is the ladies' toilet-room, 14 by 20 feet. Opening from the south side of the parlor is a small dressing-room, 14 by 17 feet, and a kitchen 14 feet square. A flight of stairs leads upward to another dressing room 14 feet square, directly above the other dressing room and kitchen. Half-way up this stairway is a landing, from which a door opens upon the stage. These two dressing rooms can be used By the actors in dramatic entertainments, and the kitchen will be found useful in preparing refreshments at socials and balls. All these rooms are connected with the public hall, and will furnish every accommodation desired at social gatherings or dramatic or other entertainments.
At the north side of the hall, extending across the ticket-office, vestibule and gentlemen's reception-room, is an overhanging gallery, 19 by 42 feet. The gallery will seat 150, and the main floor 424, making the total seating capacity of the hall 574. The seats are of the pattern known as opera chairs, with perforated seats. Under each seat is a convenient hat-rack, an invention which will be readily appreciated. The seats in the gallery are fixtures, those on the main floor are connected in sets of four, and are not fastened to the floor, so they can be readily removed and thus have the floor clear for dancing.
Ascending a flight of four broad stone steps at the west entrance, and passing through the outer doors, the visitor enters a wide vestibule. From this vestibule, a broad doorway enters into a large hall, from which are entrances to the public hall and the ladies' reception-room. At the right of this hall, a broad stairway leads upwards to the Masonic rooms. At the head of the first flight is a smoking room and toilet room, situated directly above the ladies' reception room. Going up a second flight of stairs, the visitor enters a broad corridor 10 feet wide and 30 feet long. Opening from this corridor, on the Franklin Street front, are two large parlors, connected by folding doors, and hat and coat rooms. On the other side of the corridor are two Lodge rooms, the large one 42 by 55 feet, and the small one 28 by 40 feet. These Lodge rooms are 20 feet high, and are furnished with large and convenient ante-rooms.
Another flight of stairs leads to the upper floor, where on the Franklin street side is a large banquet hall, 30 1-2 by 48 feet, with which is connected a kitchen, 27 by 30 feet, and a pantry and a crockery-room, each 10 by 10 feet.
The building is so constructed that there are four floors on the Franklin street front, while in the rear or body of the building there pre but two, the public hall on the ground-floor and the Masonic Lodge rooms above occupying the entire space. Every foot of space is utilized. Every room is spacious and nothing is crowded. In every particular the arrangement is a model of convenience and comfort.
There is ample means for exit in any emergency. The public hall opens to both the main entrances, and from the banquet hall on the fourth floor a stairway leads down through the gallery to the public and will furnish every accommodation desired at social gatherings or dramatic or other entertainments.
A special feature in the construction of the building, to which the architect gave particular attention, is the ventilation. There are two very large ventilating flues extending through the building, and an arrangement of ventilating pipes, so that a current of fresh air from outside is constantly in circulation so that the halls will be kept free of foul air.
The interior finish of the building is plain but pleasing to the eye. The vestibules are finished in cherry, the wainscotings and doors in whitewood, stained. The entire building is supplied with gas and the Edison electric light. The electric light will be used for all ordinary purposes. The large halls are furnished with handsome chandeliers, and the lights are so arranged that currents may be taken from different circuits, and there is abundant precaution against any possible accident.
CORNER STONE LAYING, MAY 1922
From New England Craftsman, Vol. XVII, No. 7, May 1922, Page 234:
After a parade in which approximitely 2,500 local Masons took part, Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince of Lowell, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, superintended the ceremonies attending the laying of the corner stone of the new Masonic Temple, on the afternoon of Saturday, May 6th, at North Main and Elm Streets, Fall River, Mass.
At the head of the parade, as an escort to the four local Blue lodges and the Grand lodge, were Godfrey De Bouillon Commandery of Knights Templars, Sutton commandery of New Bedford and Washington commandery of Newport.
After spreading the first trowelfui of cement at the base of the stone, the grand master called upon the masters of the four local lodges to do likewise. They were Benjamin Barnes of Mt. Hope lodge, George B. Lovell of King Philip Lodge, Arthur B. Hatch of Narragansett Lodge and Herbert A. Sullivan of Massasoit Lodge. Robert N. Hathaway one of the two surviving members of the Masonic Hall Association who were present at the laying of the corner stone of the old temple on June 23, 1884, spread the sixth trowelful, and Joseph T. Turner, president of the association and chairman of the building committee, spread the seventh.
During the ceremonies a Masonic choir ol 34 voices sang, accompanied by a Masonic band of 200 pieces. Grand Master Prince concluded the exercises with an address, in which he described similar ceremonies from the early ages to the present day.
The Grand Master was assisted by Grand Marshal Frank W. Dobson, and was accompanied by these officers: Deputy Grand Master Claude L. Allen of Melrose; Senior Grand Warden, Herbert W. Dean of Cheshire; junior grand warden, Olin D. Dickerman of Abington; Grand Treasurer, Charles H. Ramsay o! Cambridge; Grand Secretary, Frank E. Swam of Swampscott; Senior Grand Deacon, Harry A. Thompson of Lowell; Junior Grand Feacon. Arthur L. Beales of Brockton; Senior Grand Steward, Charles Dennee of Brookline; Junior Grand Steward, Winthrop J. Cushing of Hingham; Grand Sword Bearer, Frank H. Hilton of Belmont; Grand Tyler, George W. Chester of Boston; past Junior Grand Warden, Charles S. Proctor of Lowell; past Junior Grand Warden William Ridings of Fall River; D. D. G. Master of the 28th District, Arthur C. Staples of Taunton; of the 30th District, Stephen H. Taylor of New Bedford; of the 31st District, Stephen W. Luce of Vineyard Haven.