- 1 LOYALTY LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
Chartered By: Arthur D. Prince
Charter Date: 09/14/1921 1921-264
Precedence Date: 09/21/1920
Current Status: According to the 50th Anniversary history, Page 1970-411, the lodge met at the Centre Street, Jamaica Plain building with Eliot Lodge until September 1963, and then moved to 45 Fairmount Street, Hyde Park. merged with Realty Lodge to form Loyalty-Realty Lodge, 06/29/1983.
- James Keltie, 1920, 1921; N
- James D. Robertson, 1922, 1923
- Curtis Chipman, 1924
- Bert E. Holland, 1925, 1926
- Fred P. Kinney, 1927, 1928
- Donald McNiven, 1929, 1930
- Oscar W. Billingham, 1931, 1932
- Raymond G. Laird, 1933, 1934
- John N. Marcham, 1935
- Thomas Nelson, 1936, 1937; SN
- Philip G. Curtis, 1938
- George G. Smith, 1939, 1940
- Roland W. Golden, 1941, 1942
- Sidney H. Beck, 1943, 1944
- William P. Purin, 1945, 1946
- Arthur W. Sides, 1947
- Frankland W. L. Miles, 1948, 1949
- William E. Turkington, 1950; N
- J. Walter Spence, 1951, 1952
- John S. Beck, 1953
- Mark Brown, 1954
- Arthur H. Delorey, 1955
- Charles J. Wilkins, 1956
- Wilfrid J Dodds, 1957
- Burton A. Barstow, 1958
- William D. Coutts, Jr., 1959
- Andrew Markhard, 1960; N
- Kenneth C. Arnold, 1961
- Thomas J. O'Brien, 1962, 1971; PDDGM
- William T. Ladoulis, 1963
- Harry T. Spencer, 1964
- Nicholas Spear, 1965, 1983
- Norman A. Anderson, 1966
- Edward J. Hershman, 1967
- Melvin Ravitz, 1968; N
- John G. Miles, 1969, 1977
- Elliot J. Gillard, 1970, 1975-1976, 1980; N
- Keith C. Hatfield, 1972, 1978, 1982
- Robert S. Bresnick, 1973, 1979
- David M. Arnold, 1974
- Henry Gillard, 1981
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1920
- Petition for Charter: 1921
- Consolidation Petition (with Realty Lodge): 1983
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1921 (Prince; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication)
- 1932 (Chipman; 3 visits)
- 1933 (Chipman; 2 visits)
- 1933 (Chipman)
- 1945 (Wragg; 25th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1970 (Jaynes; 50th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1971 (Jaynes; 2 visits; Ladies' Night, installation)
- 1974 (Vose)
- 1983 (Deputy Grand Master Meldon E. Niemi; Consolidation; Special Communication)
25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MAY 1945
From Proceedings, Page 1945-135:
By Right Worshipful James Keltie.
I will try, as briefly as possible, to outline the history of Loyalty Lodge for the past twenty-five years, with the hope that it may be interesting now, and of value to the Brethren twenty-five years hence.
The introduction, as published in the copy of our By-Laws, states that in 1916 a committee of three Past Masters of Eliot Lodge, namely: John A. McKim, Lawson W. Oakes and James Keltie, were appointed to consider the question of apartments, reporting later, in part, that immediate steps should be taken for the formation of a new Lodge so that it might be able, when the time came, to share with us the expense of our present or any future apartments, and Eliot Lodge so voted. The membership of the Lodge was then about four hundred. In common with other Lodges, the membership increased rapidly during the World War period. In 1920, the membership of Eliot Lodge had increased about fifty per cent in four years.
No action having been taken to carry out the desired work of establishing a new Lodge, the original committee of 1916 volunteered to undertake the work, and were duly authorized to act. The authorization and consent of Eliot Lodge having been granted, the aforesaid committee, in the spring of 1920, started to work.
Previous to this formation period, Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson had been constantly advocating the formation of new and smaller Lodges. It was his contention that in a Lodge of smaller membership there would be more real friendship and mutual interest than in a large unwieldy Lodge. Accordingly, the committee undertook the task of organizing a new Lodge.
Right Worshipful Brother John McKim was so proud of the name "Eliot" that he earnestly hoped at some future date there might be four more Lodges in the district whose first initials would eventually spell the name of his mother Lodge. Hence, the second letter in Eliot being "L," the new Lodge was instituted April 27, 1920, and was christened "Loyalty." What a name to build upon and what a challenge! Not only that we be loyal to our Lodge, but to each other and to the lessons and principles of Freemasonry.
The success attained during the formation of the Lodge was entirely due to the untiring and unselfish efforts of our late Brother, Right Worshipful John McKim. Due to his knowledge of Masonry and the details involved, we were able, under the jurisdiction of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, to establish Loyalty Lodge with seventy Charter Members. Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, presiding Grand Master, granted us a dispensation on September 27, 1920, when we were instituted with the following officers:
- R.W. James Keltie, Worshipful Master
- James D. Robertson, Senior Warden
- Curtis Chipman, Junior Warden
- George W. Shepherd, Treasurer
- Henry S. Adams, Secretary
- Rev. Raymond H. Kendrick, Chaplain
- George A. Craig, Marshal
- Bert E. Holland, Senior Deacon
- Fred P. Kinney, Junior Deacon
- Oliver P. Greenwood, Senior Steward
- Donald McNiven, Junior Steward
- Ralph W. Guillow, Inside Sentinel
- George T. West, Tyler
- William J. Samsel, Organist
Our Mother Lodge most generously granted us the use of their apartments and regalia for one year gratis.
During our first year, the Lodge was the recipient of many gifts from our members, namely: the Square and Compasses, the Hiram Abiff Collar, the Gavel and Holy Bible, as also several cash contributions to start our charity fund. When Brother Robertson was installed Master, he presented the Lodge with the officers' aprons and collars and Brother John A. Salman gave us a Charter case.
We were honored on several occasions by fraternal visits by Most Worshipful Brothers Melvin M. Johnson and Leon M. Abbott. The inspiration we derived from their sincere talks benefited us greatly.
Loyalty Lodge has been honored by being represented in the Grand Lodge by a Grand Master, Most Worshipful Curtis Chipman, and a District Deputy Grand Master, Right Worshipful Thomas Nelson.
Worshipful Brother Bellingham, raised in Loyalty Lodge, was the first of our candidates to become Worshipful Master. On October 6, 1921, Loyalty Lodge was duly constituted by Most Worshipful Arthur D. Prince, assisted by R. W. Claude L. Allen, Deputy Grand Master, R. W. Frank E. Swain, Senior Grand Warden, R. W. Frank T. Taylor, acting Junior Grand Warden, R.W. Frank W. Dobson, Grand Marshal, Right Worshipful Frederick W. Hamilton, Grand Secretary, Wor. and Rev. R. Perry Bush, Grand Chaplain, Wor. Frederick L. Putnam, Grand Lecturer, Wor. Fred A. Leavitt, Senior Grand Deacon, Wor. Frank L. Simpson, Junior Grand Deacon, Wor. Franklin C. Jillson, Senior Grand Steward, Wor. George M. Rogers, Junior Grand Steward and Wor. George M. Chester, Grand Tyler.
Upon the arrival of the Grand Officers, dinner was served and a most enjoyable hour was spent. Selections by the Harvard Quartet, music by Magee's Orchestra and community singing helped on this momentous occasion. After dinner, the company repaired to the lodge-room, where the ceremonies of constitution and installation took place.
For these twenty-five years, Loyalty Lodge has been like one happy family, carrying out the edicts of the Most Worship-fa! Grand Lodge. The growth has not been spectacular, but steady and healthy. At the present time many of our members are in the Armed Forces of our country, and from reports received, are serving with distinction.
My report would not be complete without mentioning the sincere efforts of our Brother, Worshipful Lawson W. Oakes, to make this evening a success. He has gladly given of his time and energy and we certainly appreciate it.
During the address of the Most Worshipful Grand Master at the time of the constitution of Loyalty Lodge, he remarked that the Lodge was bound to be a success due to the caliber of the men among its Charter Members, such as: Wor. Fred Seaver, Wor. Lawson W. Oakes, R.W. James Keltie, R.W. Arthur A. Sondheim, Judge Bert E. Holland, Judge John Perrina, Hon. Gasper G. Bacon, Brothers Frank B. Lawler, Ethelbert V. Grabill, Dr. James D. Robertson, Dr. Orville R. Chadwell, and last, but not least, R.W. John A. McKim.
50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, SEPTEMBER 1970
From Proceedings, Page 1970-408:
By Brother David M. Arnold.
We can trace the history of Loyalty Lodge, without a break, back to the beginning of Masonry in the town of Roxbury, when Washington Lodge was instituted by Paul Revere in 1796, with Ebenezer Seaver as its first Master; to the establishment of Eliot Lodge in 1866 through the efforts of Robert Seaver, a member of said Washington Lodge; and on to September 27, 1920 when a dispensation for Loyalty was delivered to a group of petitioners headed by a third member of the Seaver family, Wor. Fred Seaver, the Senior Past Master of Eliot Lodge.
The history of Masonry in Roxbury, as well as the history of Roxbury itself, could not be written without including the Seaver family. Robert Seaver came over to this country on the Mary and John in 1634 and died in 1682, leaving a large family of which the aforementioned Ebenezer, Robert and Fred were descended.
Honorable Ebenezer Seaver at one time represented the District, in which Roxbury is located, in the Congress of the United States, and he was a Selectman in Roxbury for thirty years; also chairman of the Board for many years until retiring because of advancing years. He was educated at Harvard College, but since he preferred agriculture to any other profession he devoted his life to farming and to public service. He was a just man, of good sense and great integrity, never filtering when in the right, nor hesitating to denounce what he thought was wrong; more careful of the public interest than his own. Such was the character of the first Master of duly organized Masonry in the Town of Roxbury.
That jurisdiction in 1796 was bounded by the towns of Boston, Brookline, Newton, Dedham and Dorchester, an area which now comprises nearly half of the present City of Boston. The establishment of Washington Lodge in 1796 was as much a part of the history of Jamaica Plain as of any other part of the history of this extensive Town of Roxbury.
It was thought at that time that for many years the religious, Masonic and political affairs of the town had been administered in the First Parish to the detriment of the Second and Third Parishes, because the First Parish could outvote them at town meetings. In June 1777, the Second and Third Parishes united in a petition to the General Court that they might be set off as a district to be called "Washington", in the Town of Roxbury. This petition was denied by the General Court. It was in 1794 that the name "Washington" was given to the main street, and two years after that to the Lodge. In 1844 another petition was presented, headed by the Honorable Ebenezer Seaver, which was also denied. Probably around 1845 or 1846, another petition signed by Messrs. D. S. Grccnough, Moses Williams and Ji.shua Seaver was presented in which a city charter was requested. This charter was granted to the City of Roxbury in 1846. One of the successful petitioners was Joshua Seaver, the grandfather of Wor. Fred Seaver, and father of Bro, Robert Seaver, the organizer of Eliot Lodge.
One reason for this city charter for Roxbury was to prevent division, but on May 24, 1851 West Roxbury was set off from the City of Roxbury as a separate township. This was the first time that a town had been set off from a city. In 1868 the City of Boston annexed the City of Roxbury, and the Town of West Roxbury in 1874. None of these changes affected the Masonic jurisdiction of Washington Lodge because under its charter these areas were still within its Masonic jurisdiction. We can therefore see how much of a part this distinguished family played in the Masonic and political development of this area, Ebenezer Seaver was largely responsible for establishing Washington Lodge; Joshua Seaver was instrumental in establishing the Town of West Roxbury; and Robert Seaver, a member of Washington Lodge, was an important factor in the holding of Roxbury Masonic meetings at Jamaica Plain under the old name of Eliot.
The name "Washington" signifies the allegiance of Roxbury Masonry to country; the name "Eliot" signifies the devotion of Roxbury Masonry to God; and the name "Loyalty" signifies our devotion to the principles of love for God and Country, as proclaimed by our Masonic ancestors in their establishment of Washington and Eliot Lodges.
So much for historical background. We can now move on to the establishment of our own Loyalty Lodge.
In 1916, a committee of three Past Masters of Eliot Lodge namely Worshipful Brothers John A. McKim, Lawson W. Oakes and James Keltic were appointed to consider the question of Lodge apartments. Part of their report stated that "Immediate steps should be taken to form a new Lodge so that it would be able, when the time came, to share expenses of the present or any future apartments", and the members so voted.
Nothing was done until 1920. From 1916 to 1920 the membership of Eliot Lodge almost doubled to 400 members. It was felt that the membership was getting too large for the members to form any close and lasting relationships, and it was therefore decided to act on the report of the 1916 committee and establish a new Lodge.
It was hoped that there might be four more Lodges in the district eventually whose first initials would spell the name of the Mother Lodge, Eliot. Thus, the second letter of Eliot Lodge being "L", the new Lodge was named "Loyalty", and on April 27, 1920 the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts was petitioned for a dispensation to establish this new Lodge.
The Dispensation was granted by the then Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, Most Wor. Arthur D. Prince, and presented to the many petitioners on September 27, 1920 by the District Deputy Grand Master, Right Worshipful George T. Wylie.
The first meetings of Loyalty Lodge were held in the apartments of Eliot Lodge, the Mother Lodge, on Centre Street in Jamaica Plain, and continued to be held there for many years, until the Lodge moved to its present location at 45 Fairmount Avenue, Hyde Park, in September, 1963.
In its short history Loyalty Lodge has had many members with illustrious Masonic careers, and particular mention should be made of these men. Our first Junior Warden, Most Worshipful Curtis Chipman, was raised in Eliot Lodge on June 16, 1904. He was a charter member of Loyalty Lodge, served as Worshipful Master in 1923-1924, and as Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts from 1932 to 1934. In 1933, he was made an honorary member of both the Grand Lodge of Ireland and the Grand Lodge of Scotland.
Loyalty Lodge has been honored by the appointment of several District Deputy Grand Masters, beginning with our first Master, Right Worshipful James Keltie. Also serving the Grand Lodge as District Deputy Grand Masters were Right Worshipful Brothers Bert E. Holland, Thomas Nelson, William E. Turkington, our present Treasurer, and Andrew Markhard.
"The finest Blue Lodge in the Commonwealth" boasts that there are so many ethnic groups and religious persuasions represented among its members, that it is truly a cosmopolitan Lodge. The membership runs the gamut of the business world, from laborers, taxi drivers, machinists and service men to policemen, judges, lawyers, accountants, and it can even count a Baron among its members.
It has been this way from its inception, and we know it will always be so.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Maxwell M. Brenton, DDGM, District 4 (Boston), 1999, 2000; N
- Curtis Chipman, Deputy Grand Master 1925, Grand Master 1932-1934
- Elliot J. Gillard, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1985, 1986; N
- James Keltie, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1911, 1912; N
- Andrew Markhard, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1961, 1962; N
- Thomas Nelson, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1940, 1941; SN
- Thomas J. O'Brien, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1973, 1974
- Melvin Ravitz, DDGM, District 4 (Boston), 1991, 1992; N
- William E. Turkington, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1953, 1954; N
- Frank B. Lawler, Memorial