From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search

JOHN BOYLE 1746-1819

  • MM 1785, WM 1798-1801, 1803, 1804 (resigned 08/21/1804), The Massachusetts
  • DDGM, Boston 1, 1802-1806
  • Grand Steward 1795-1796
  • Junior Grand Deacon 1797
  • Senior Grand Deacon 1798
  • Junior Grand Warden 1799
  • Senior Grand Warden 1800-1802


From Publications of the Colonial Society of Massachusetts, 1904, Vol. 6, Page 321:

Col. John Boyle, bookseller and stationer, No. 18 Marlborough Street, Boston. See Suffolk Deeds, clxxxii. 168. Col. Boyle was twice married, and if the reference in the text was not to his mother it was, doubtless, to his first wife, Cecelia, daughter of Martin Gay the Loyalist (see ante, iii. 379400), to whom he was married 12 March, 1772 (Records of the West Church, Boston). She died at Hingham, Massachusetts, 11 April, 1776 (New England Chronicle of Thursday, 25 April, 1776, No. 401, p. 3/2). See History of Hingham (1893), ii. 265. Col. Boyle married (2) Elizabeth Casneau, 20 June, 1778 (Records of the New North Church) and had by her several children who were baptized at the Church in Brattle Square, among them Dorothy Hancock Boyle, baptized 18 May, 1788. Col. Boyle died of apoplexy in Boston, 18 November, 1819 (Boston Town Records). The Columbian Centinel of Saturday, 20 November, 1819, No. 3716, p. 2/4 thus announces his death: —

In this town, John Boyle, Esq. aged 73. During the revolution he commanded 3 regiments and was aid-de-camp to Gov. Hancock.

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XVIII, No. 8, Page 230, June 1859:

Colonel John Boyle was born in Marblehead, on the 6th of March, 1746. He came to Boston to reside at an early age, and for several years kept a bookstore and printing office in Marlborough Street, now a part of Washington Street. In 1788, he was commissioned by Governor Hancock as one of his aides-de-camp, which relation to his Excellency he sustained to the time of the death of the latter, which occurred in 1793. In the early part of the present century, he held the office of assessor of the town of Boston. He relinquished business in 1815, and died on the 18th of November, 1819, aged 73 years.

He always took a deep interest in the Masonic institution, and contributed by his services and character to its prosperity and honor. He was Junior Grand Steward in 1795 and 1796; Junior Grand Deacon in 1797; Senior Grand Deacon in 1798; Junior Grand Warden in 1799; Senior Grand Warden in 1800, 1801 and 1802; and D. D. Grand Master of the first district in 1802, 1803, 1804, 1805 and 1806, he having received his first appointment to this office, probably, at the close of the year 1802. He was a highly respected citizen and most estimable man.

Distinguished Brothers