CAMBRIDGE TOWN HALL
CORNER STONE LAYING, MAY 1889
Plan for Cambridge City Hall, 1889
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. XIII, No. 3, June 1889, Page 92:
Hereafter, Wednesday afternoon, May 15, will be of historic memory in the annals of the City of Cambridge, as well as those of Freemasonry, it being the time chosen to lay the corner-stone of the new City Hall, in process of election at the corner of Main and Inman Streets. The Masonic brethren, including officers and members of Grand Lodge, assembled in Masonic Hall, where Amicable, Putnam, Mount Olivet, Mizpah and Charity Lodges, all working in Cambridge, were formed in procession to escort Grand Lodge, and to attend during the ceremonies. The march was by Main Street to Lafayette Square, countermarch by by Main to Inman Street, to place and seats reserved at new City Hall.
The services were opened by Mayor Gilmore, who told how the city came to receive the splendid gifts from Frederick H. Rindge, of whom he spoke in appropriate words of praise, and also in eulogistic terms of the city, now numbering 60,000 or more people. The ritualistic Masonic services followed, under the direction of M. W. Henry Endicott, Grand Master, assisted by R. W. Samuel Wells, D. G. M., Andrew C. Stone, S. G. W., Dana J. Flanders, as J. G. W., Rev. Charles A. Skinner, as Gr. Chaplain, John Carr, Gr. Tr., S. D. Nickerson, Gr. Sec., and other Grand Officers. A list of the contents of the box deposited under the corner-stone was read by G. Tr. Carr, and the services were concluded in due and ancient form.