- 1 FRIENDLY SOCIETY LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
FRIENDLY SOCIETY LODGE
Originally named Sylvan Lodge; name changed, 09/10/1810 (page II-440).
Chartered By: Timothy Bigelow
Charter Date: 06/08/1807 II-359
Precedence Date: 06/08/1807
Current Status: unknown; last recorded meeting 1828.
According to the 25th Anniversary History of Mount Orthodox Lodge on Page 1938-116, this Lodge surrendered its charter in 1838.
- Josiah Scoville Knowles, 1825
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Charter: 1807
- 1938 (in 25th Anniversary History of Mount Orthodox Lodge, 1938-116; see below)
- 1963 (in 50th Anniversary History of Mount Orthodox Lodge, 1963-82; see below)
- 1989 (in 75th Anniversary History of Mount Orthodox Lodge, 1989-42; see below)
FROM 25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY OF MOUNT ORTHODOX LODGE, MAY 1938
From Proceedings, Page 1938-116:
The second Lodge chartered in the county was Sylvan Lodge, of Southwick, in 1807. Three years later the Lodge was removed to West Springfield and changed to the name of Friendly Society Lodge. Grand Lodge records note that the permit to move stipulates that the Lodge should hold its meetings six months at West Springfield and Southwick alternately, but there is no record of any meetings held in Southwick after 1810. In West Springfield the Lodge met in rooms on the second floor of the old Belding Tavern near the corner of Park and Elm Streets which stood north of the present town library building and opposite the water trough at the lower end of Elm Street. After its removal to West Springfield the Lodge grew in membership, but several members withdrew in 1817 to form Hampden Lodge, of Springfield, and from that time the Lodge lost ground. Very few members were admitted after 1817 and when the anti-Masonic sentiment became pronounced in 1838, the few members who had labored for the life of the Lodge were forced to give up the struggle and the charter was surrendered.
FROM 50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY OF MOUNT ORTHODOX LODGE, APRIL 1963
From Proceedings, Page 1963-82:
The second charter in the County was given to Sylvan Lodge, of Southwick, in 1807. Three years later the Lodge was removed to West Springfield and changed to the name of Friendly Society Lodge., the Lodge grew in membership. Several members withdrew in 1817 to form Hampden Lodge, of Springfield. Very few members were admitted after 1817, and in 1838 they surrendered their charter.
FROM 75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY OF MOUNT ORTHODOX LODGE, APRIL 1989
From Proceedings, Page 1989-42:
The same text appears as in the 1938 history.
ø Charter surrendered 06/11/1834