From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search


Location: X

Chartered By: X

Dispensation Date: date

Charter Date: date

Current Status: status


Meeting date: Tuesday on or before the full moon.







The movement which resulted in the formation of Eureka Lodge No. 22 was led by Rev. George W. Chevers, who had been a resident of Portsmouth only a short time. He was warmly attached to the Masonic Institution, well versed in the laws and rituals, and was eminently qualified to lead the movement.

The Lodge organized and held its first meeting on September 22, 1860, when nine petitions were received. The first classes of candidates were worked in the rooms of St. Alban’s Lodge with the assistance of the officers of St. Alban’s. two classes were worked in fast time, and on November 1, 1860, a full slate of officers was appointed to hold office under Dispensation, a code of By-laws adopted and subscribed to, and a committee appointed to build a new building. From the time of its formation until the new hall was occupied on December 20, 1860, the Lodge met in the back room of the “Red Store.”

The records show that a Special Meeting on Friday evening, March 1, 1861, it was voted the following By-laws be enacted as follows: “Every person a member of this Lodge who shall be detected in spitting upon the carpet or floor in the Lodge room shall be fined ten cents for each and every offense.”

The constitution of the Lodge, the election and installation of its officers, and the dedication of its new hall took place on June 24, 1861. The Grand Lodge, with Ariel Ballou as Grand Master, was convened at Eureka Lodge No. 22, Portsmouth. Many visitors and representatives of seven Lodges witnessed the event. A procession was formed and moved to St. Paul’s Church where the Lodge was constituted and the officers installed.

The Lodge membership was made up of the best element in the town and the Lodge grew rapidly. In the first four years of its existence, they labored often, as shown by the number of meetings held: in 1861-33, in 1862-31, in 1863-51, and in 1864-46. It seems to have been the custom in those days to work candidates as fast as elected rather than in classes and many Masons were made among soldiers at the Army hospital at Portsmouth Grove, now Melville. The fees at this period were $24, being raised to $35 in 1865, back to $25 in 1888, to $40 in 1919 and to $50 in 1921. From 1870 – 1888 the Lodge was nearly dormant.

Eureka Lodge is now a healthy, happy Lodge. Known as a Moon Lodge, we are one of the few remaining such Lodges in the Country. We are also a country Lodge and rather small, but we have a truly fine Masonic spirit. We have some old-timers whom we love, some not so old, and a fine group of the younger brethren who are doing the work, enthused with the Spirit of masonry and indeed proud of their Lodge.





Rhode Island Lodges