- Mount Nonotuck Lodge, from 1920 to its merger with William Whiting Lodge in 1939.
- Mount Tom Lodge, from 1850 to the present.
- William Whiting Lodge, from 1909 to the suspension of its charter in 1997.
- 09/11/1920: 1920-280; Corner-stone laying, at a Special Communication.
- 10/22/1921: 1921-298; Hall dedication, at a Special Communication.
DESCRIPTION OF BUILDING, MAY 1915
From New England Craftsman, Vol. X, No. 8, May 1915, Page 278:
Masonic Temple to be Erected at Holyoke, Mass.
The building of a Masonic Temple in any locality is an event 551555 of notable importance. There SbBh ig always prolonged and careful deliberation regarding the location of the building, its architecture, and arrangement of its various rooms with their furnishings. All are subjects of real importance, but nothing exceeds in interest the plans for securing the funds for meeting the cost of the undertaking.
Sometimes unexpected sources of revenue have made welcome contributions to the needed funds. In more than one instance the Fraternity have been indebted to the talents and artistic ability of Esta Mae Barr, a very amiable lady of Cambridge, Mass., for assistance in raising money for Masonic purposes. The last example of her work in this direction was at Holyoke, Mass., April 12th, 13th and 14th, when "The Chosen King," a biblical pageant play, )f which she is the author, was presented at the Opera House under her direction.
It was a most gratifying success and of substantial help to the bulldog fund of the proposed temple.
The Masonic Executive Committee, under whose auspices the play was produced, consisted of Wor. Bro. Daniel W. Williamson, Master of Mt. Tom Lodge; Wor. Bro. Edgar M. Osgood, Master of William Whiting Lodge; Bro. Wills M. Fleming, Treasurer; Bro. Louis S. Ayen, auditor, and Wallace M. France. At each of the three performances the house was packed with enthusiasic audiences. Great interest was due to the fact that about four hundred in the cast were residents of Holyoke and of course all had friends who desired to see them in their parts. The ay was handsomely mounted with unusual lighting effects, realistic stage settings and music of a high quality. The play was written especially for presentation before Masonic bodies. The author, who is the daughter of a devoted Mason seems to have inherited a profound regard for the institution.
The pageant is written around the events in the life of King Solomon and shows the building and dedication of the wondrous temple. It deals closely with the events of Solomon's life from his boyhood to the feast and dedication of his work. The production derives its title of "The Chosen King" from the fact that Solomon was not heir to the throne of Israel by succession, but was chosen by his father, King David, to rule after him.
The closing presentation of the pageant was an occasion of great interest. The house was filled to the utmost, many coming from other cities to witness the closing incident.
The evening was a distinct triumph for Esta Mae Barr and the members of her staff, all of whom were called before the curtain by the enthusiastic audience. All were introduced to the audience by Fred Thorpe, chairman of the general entertainment committee. Miss Diaz, mistress of dancing, was presented with a pearl and amethyst brooch by the Mystic Veil dancers, a gold friendship pin by the group of nymphs and beautiful floral tributes by the children's group and the Inner Shrine dancers. Mr. De Castillo, the musical director, was given a gold mounted baton by the Priestess' chorus and a Masonic charm by the group of David's wives. Miss Barr received many beautiful floral tributes and Monday night she was presented with a handsome copy of Marcius Aurelius Antonius by the members of the dramatic cast.
The book contained the autographs of each member of the dramatic cast and was accompanied by a magnificent bouquet of flowers.
Rev. Lyman Rollins of Lynn, who portrayed the role of Solomon so ably, was also called before the curtain. He was presented with a Masonic jewel by the members of the local fraternities. The jewel consisted of a gold cross with a black enamel face. Around the cross was a circle, meaning friendship, and inside was the emblem of his Masonic office of chaplain, an open Bible. The gold square and compass rested on the Bible and inscribed on the back of the jewel Was the following: "To Solomon"— Presented to Rev. Lyman Rollins by Masonic Fraternities of Holyoke, Mass., April 14, 1915.
The presentation speeches which accompanied all of these gifts were made by Worshipful Master W. W. Williamson of Mount Tom Lodge.
The members of the Masonic bodies are highly gratified by the financial results of the Pageant and are confident that it will not be very long before their purpose has been realized and they can at the present time picture a beautiful new marble building on that Chestnut Street site, purchased some time ago.
This building will be three stories in height with the front of marble or granite. Situated in the lot adjoining the First Presbyterian church, it is planned to build it so that it would conform with the library and the proposed new central grammar school. The cost has not been estimated and will depend much upon the material used.
The architecture is Grecian, with pillars in front, giving it a templelike effect. There would be an entrance to the basement under the portico from the street. A tile roof would be placed on the building. In general, the basement is for social purposes, the second floor for lodge and reception uses and the third floor for the executive officers.
In the basement are bowling alleys, pool and billiard rooms, smoking room, lounging room and the culinary department's quarters, with also the boiler rooms. On the first floor is a large banquet hall that may also be used as a ball room. This room is 50 feet by 60 feet and is two stories in height, with a balcony at the third story.
On this floor are serving rooms, dumb waiters, places for the orchestra, cloak rooms, smoking rooms, card rooms, reception room, parlor library, Eastern Star quarters, women's reception room, etc. On the third floor are the executive offices, armory, director's room, toilet, etc.
The ball room will be finished in a magnificent manner. The whole interior of the building will be in keeping with the splendid exterior. The proposed building would be a credit to the order and the city and a testimonial to the progressiveness of the members of the Masonic fraternities of the entire valley.