CHARLES MONTRAVILLE GREEN 1850-1928
Deputy Grand Master, 1902
FROM PROCEEDINGS, 1928
From Proceedings, Page 1928-302:
R.W. Charles M. Green was born in Medford, December 18, 1850, and died November 20, 1928, at the home of his son, R.W. Dr. Robert M. Green, at 80 Mason Terrace, Brookline. Brother Green was graduated from the Academic Department of Harvard University in 1874 and received his degree of Doctor of Meclicine from the same university in 1877. His specialty was obstetrics and gynecology. He had a large private practice, and in addition was a teacher of these subjects in the Harvard Medical School during the greater part of his active professional life, rising from the position of Assistant in Obstetrics, to which he was appointed in 1883, to that of full Professor in the department which he held from 1907 to 1915, since which date he has been Professor-emeritus. He was Secretary of the Medical Faculty of Harvard from 1887 to 1907, and was Acting Dean of the Harvard Medical School in 1907 and 1908. He was at one time senior surgeon of the Boston City Hospital, and was for a long period visiting surgeon at the Boston Lying-in Hospital. He had a long service in the Medical Corps of the Massachusetts National Guard, retiring with the rank of Colonel. He was an active and leading member in many professional associations, and also in a number of civic and patriotic societies.
Dr. Green was raised in The Lodge of St. Andrew February 14, 1884, and was its Worshipful Master in 1894 to 1901 inclusive. He served as Secretary of the Lodge from 1918 until his death. He was Deputy Grand Master in 1902 by appointment of M.W. Charles T. Gallagher. He was a member of all the bodies of both York and Scottish Rites, serving in 1909 as Commander of Saint Bernard. Commandery No. 12, K. T.
R. W. Brother Green's Iong life was crowded with active and valuable professional and social service. No call for such service ever passed unheeded by him. His passing leaves an empty place in many lives, and he leaves behind him a splendid heritage of grateful remembrance.
From Proceedings, Page 1928-421:
R.W. Brother Green was born in Medford, Massaehusetts, December 18, 1850, and died in Brookline, Mass., at the age of 78 at the home of his son, Dr. Robert M. Green; son of George Bent Green and Melinda (Wetherbee), seventh in descent from Thomas Green, from St. Albans, England, in 1635, settler in Malden in 1650, and eighth in descent from Robert Bent, whose son John came from Penton-Grafton, Hants., England, and settled in Sudbury in 1638. His mother also was of English well known family descent. Twelve of the ancestors of Dr. Green served in civil or military capacity in the Colonial period; Green's four great-grandfathers and two of his great-great-grandfathers served in the American Revolution.
Charles M. Green grew up in Medford. attended the public schools, and completed his preparation for college in the oldest school in America, The Boston Public Latin School, under Francis Gardner: and. in 18?0 entered Harvard College with credit with the Class of 1874. In college, good looking, genial and radiating good cheer and warm friendship, he was justly popular. Always a hard and conscientious student he rose by ability and. perseverance to positions of responsibility and prominence in the community as well as in his profession. He had a warm affection for his classmates and it endured. In appreciation by his Harvard College Class of his services Commencement Day the members of the class of 1874, assembled on the 50th anniversary of graduation from Harvard, extended their thanks to their Class Secretary, Charles M. Green, for his part in giving to their celebration its most gratifying success. His devotion and thoroughness in the preparation of its most complicated plan, and his energy and ability in bringing about its execution, to the great pleasure of all who participated, call for this expression of our warmest appreciation of his labors, and for our heartiest congratulations.
After graduating (with honors A.B.) in 1874, Green entered the Harvard Medical School and received his M.D., and was made a Fellow of the Massachusetts Medical Society in 1877. The following two years, Doctor Green spent in hospital training and in study in Europe, chiefly in Vienna. In 1879 he settled in private practice in Boston at 78 Marlborough Street. Many years before his death he had become one of the foremost and best known obstetricians and gynecologists in the State. He attained great professional success. He early distinguished himself. Conscientiousness and devotion to duty was shown in all his work.
Dr. Green served the Boston Dispensary as a district physician on the Central Staff, and in the Department for Diseases of Women, from 1879 to 1885, when he was made the head of the Obstetrical Department and served for twenty-two years. From 1882 to 1885 he was surgeon to out-patients at the Free Hospital for Women. In 1884 he was appointed assistant physician to the Boston Lying-In Hospital; in 1890, assistant visiting physician, and the following year a member of the Corporation; in 1907 he was made visiting physician in chief; he resigned in 1915, and was made a consulting physician; this position he later resigned. In 1884 he was appointed physician for diseases of women in the Out-Patient Department of the Boston City Hospital; in 1893, assistant visiting physician; in 1896, visiting physician; in 1900, senior visiting physician in charge of the Department. From 1907 to 1914 he served as President of the Senior Staff and Chairman of the Executive Committee. In 1914 he resigned, and was appointed to the honorary position of Senior Surgeon for Gynecology and Obstetrics.
He served a number of years as a consulting physician to the Adams Nervine Asylum; and, since 1894, as Consultant to the State Hospital at Tewksbury. Dr. Green was chosen Secretary of the Suffolk District Medical Society in 1884, and thereafter successively as Censor and. Councilor. In 1899 he was vice-president of the Massachusetts Medical Society, and thereafter served more than twenty years on the Committee on Membership and Finance, for many years as Chairman. For five years he was Treasurer of the Boston Society for Medical Observation: for five years secretary, and for two years president, of the Obstetrical Society of Boston; and for two years president of the Boston Society for Medical Improvement. In 1886 he was chosen a Fellow of the American Gynecological Society, and, later, a Fellow of the newly founded American College of Surgeons.
In 1880 Dr. Green joined with several colleagues in establishing in Boston a series of Summer Courses in Medical Study; and these courses became the foundation of the Harvard Summer School of Medicine: in these courses Dr. Green taught obstetrics for twenty-five years. In 1883 he was appointed assistant in obstetrics in the Harvard Medical School; in 1886, instructor; in 1894, assistant professor of obstetrics; in 1904, associate professor: of obstetrics and elinical gynecology; ir 1907, professor of obstetrics; in 1911, professor of obstetrics and gynecology; resigning in 1915 he was made professor emeritus. From 1897 to 1907 he served as secretary of the Harvard Faculty of Medicine, and was Acting Dean in 1907-08; from 1899 to 1912 he was a member of the Administration Board, and was secretary for nine years.
Dr. Green has written a number of papers on medical subjects, besides lectures, addresses, memorials, and historical papers.
He was religious and active in his church. In 1915 after Dr. Green's retirement with honor from public professional life, he was licensed by the Bishop of Massachusetts as a lay reader in the Protestant Episcopal Church. During the World War he undertook some of the duties of a rector who was serving as a Chaplain overseas. He served as Senior Warden of the Church of the Good Shepherd, Boston, and as a vestryman of Grace Church, Medford.
He took an active and ardent interest in historical, military, and medical affairs. Ardent supporter of a volunteer militia and efficient, effective military training.
He took a deep interest in educational and historical matters and was a member of numerous historical and patriotic societies. In 1888 Dr. Green was elected a member of the Boston School Committee and served for five years. He was a member and vice-president of the Boston Latin School Association and one of the standing committee. Served as Councillor of the Harvard Medical Alumni Association. Director and member of the standing committee of the Bunker HiII Monument Association. Vice-President in 1891 of the Massachusetts Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, and for thirty-three years served as Treasurer.
When the old Royall house was in danger of destruction by being sold to land developers, Colonel Green organized the Royall House Association, raised the funds for the purchase of the property to preserve it for future generations as not only an historical structure but as an example of celebrated Colonial architecture. He was a member of the Massachusetts Society of Colonial Wars, which he has for years served as surgeon; and as surgeon general of the National Society of Colonial Wars. Member of the Saratoga Battlefield Association: the Colonial Society of Massachusetts: The Bostonian Society: The Medford Historical Society: The Bay State Historical League: The Valley Forge Historical Society: The Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities.
Just before entering Harvard College, Green, in 1870, enlisted in Company E Fifth Regiment of Mass. Volunteer Militia, known as Lawrence Light Guard. Here he served seven years as private, sergeant, and subaltern. On his resignation he joined the Veteran Association and served as its President from 1911 to 1926 inclusive. In 1877 he joined the First Corps of Cadets, Boston, which has borne on its rolls many Harvard names. He earned deserved promotion by faithful and honorable service. He served four years as Hospital Steward, eighteen years as Assistant Surgeon: and as Surgeon, with the rank of Major from 1899 to 1905, when he retired after a continuous militia service of thirty-four years, and he was commissioned a Lieutenant-Colonel on the retired list. While on the commissioned active list he was a member of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States. On his retirement he became a member of the Veteran Association of the Cadets and was made an honorary member of the Corps.
In 1883, Dr. Green entered the Masonic Fraternity, and was a member of all the bodies in both York and Scottish Rites and also a member of the Royal Order of Scotiand; served as Master of St. Andrew's Lodge from 1894 to 1901, and Secretary since 1918. He was Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge in 1902. In 1909 he served as Commander of St. Bernard Commandery, Knights Templar. Since 1895 a. member of the First Worshipful Masters Association in Massachusetts, which he served as President and for many years as a member of the Standing Committee.
In Boston, June 29, 1876, Green married Helen Lincoln, daughter of John Ware, M.D.. (for many years Hersey Professor of the Theory and Practice of Physic in Harvard University) and Helen (Lincoln), of Hingham. Dr. and Mrs. Green passed several summers in Europe, and for many years had an attractive country hone on Powder House Road, Medford. Mrs. Green departed this life on AII Souls' Day, 1911. There are four grandchildren.
His surviving son, Robert Montraville Green, Harvard 1902, chose the profession of his father, grandfather, and great-grandfather; and after taking his medical degree in 1906, he has taught in the Harvard Medical School, and served as Assistant Professor of Applied Anatomy and visiting surgeon for gynecology and obstetrics at the Boston City Hospital.
Among the many sterling traits of character which endeared him to his college classmates and friends, and especially to all the Masonic Brethren with whom he came in contact, no characteristic was more marked than his manliness and cheerful disposition, his love of home and friends, and a kindly feeling for his fellow men. Those who knew him best will always cherish his memory as that of a dear and true friend. His unselfish thoughtfulness for others and unfailing good spirits are loved. His unwavering adherence to what he believed right won him the good will and confidence and trust of those who knew him best.
His greeting was at all times joyous and hearty and he always manifested a warm interest in everything that concerned his friends. By his character as well as his medical skill he gained complete confidence and warm gratitude of those in his care. His kindness and generosity to those in poverty and misfortune were instinctive.
He was one of those men that people believe in and instinctively trust. He lived in all respects as a good citizen - a good husband, father, friend. A cheerful, helpful nature. He was a man of serious purpose, honest, steady, able and reliable. He was high minded, and pure in thought, a gentleman always, a true friend, generous and unselfish, a most devoted son. He had a well deserved reputation for integrity. He gave to all who sought his aid, not only medical care but earnest help and sympathy in all their troubles. His kindness and patience were never exhausted. He gathered the fruits of an honorable career.
Of strikingly fine presence, he was a gentleman in every sense of the word. With absolute fidelity to duty he gave himself unsparingly to the service of his patients. His life was one which neither his profession nor the community could afford to lose.
William B. Lawrence,
Andrew P. Cornwall,
Francis A. Harding.
FROM NEW ENGLAND CRAFTSMAN, 1928
From New England Craftsman, Vol. XXIV, No. 4, December 1928, Page 71:
Dr. Charles Montraville Green, A. B., M. D., of 78 Marlboro Street, Boston, who was one of the best known obstetricians and gynecologists in the State, died Tuesday, November 20th, at the home of his son. Dr. Robert M. Green of 80 Mason Terrace, Brookline. He was 78 years old.
Dr. Green had been in ill health for some time.
Dr. Green was born in Medford. He received his A.B. from Harvard in 1871 and M. D. in 1877. From 1883 to 1886 he was assistant in obstretics at Harvard, was later an instructor, from 1886 to 1894. He became an assistant professor, and from 1907 to 1911 was a professor of obstetrics, and from 1911 to 1915 professor of obstetrics and gynecology.
He was professor-emeritus since 1915. He was secretary of the medical faculty from 1887 to 1907, and served as acting dean in 1907-08.
He was at one time senior surgeon of the Boston City Hospital and had formerly been visiting surgeon at the Boston Lying-In Hospital. He was a colonel of the Massachusetts National Guard, retired.
Dr. Green was a Past Master of the Lodge of St. Andrew of Boston, having filled the chair in that body for seven years; he also held membership in St. Andrews R. A. Chapter, and was a Past Commander of St. Bernard Commandery No. 2 K.T. besides which he was a fellow in the Ameriean College of Surgeons. American Gynecology Society of Massachusetts. Society of Colonial Wars. S.A.R.. Bostonian Society, Bunker Hill .Monument Association, and ex-president of the Boston Society for Medical Improvement. Obstetric Society Boston, of "A Republican Institution in the Town of Boston." Massachusetts Charitable Fire Society, and president of the Royal House Association. He also served as president of the Boston Latin School Association. He was surgeon-general of the General Society of Colonial Wars and Secretary of the Harvard class of 1871.
Funeral services were held at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Cortes Street. Sunday afternoon. Nov. 25, in the presence of many of the city's leading physicians and Masons.
Rev. George J. Prescott, rector emeritus, conducted the services, assisted by Rev. John Suter and Rev. Dwight W. Hadley. rector of Grace Church, Medford. The vested male choir of the church sang, and there was also in tlie church a delegation from St. Andrew's Lodge. A. F. and A. M. The hearers were Dr. Nathaniel P. Mason. Dr. John T. Williams, Dr. Frederick L. Good. Dr. Joseph P. Cohen, Dr. Harold V. Hyde and Dr. Frederick L. Lynch, representing the staff of the Boston City Hospital, with which Dr. Green had hcen connected formerly as president of the senior staff. George Emery Green was in charge of the ushers.
Burial was in Mount Auburn Cemetery.