JAMES OTIS LODGE
Chartered By: Charles C. Dame
Charter Date: 09/12/1866 VII-95
Precedence Date: 09/13/1865
Current Status: in Grand Lodge Vault. Charter surrendered 10/31/1891.
- George Marston, 1865-1868
- Elijah Lewis, II, 1869
- Ansel D. Lothrop, 1870
- Russell Matthews, 1871-1874
- Freeman H. Lothrop, 1875-1880
- Charles Thacher, II, 1881
- Elijah L. Loring, 1882
- James B. Cook, 1883-1886, 1890
- Frank H. Hinckley, 1887
- Thomas C. Day, 1888, 1889
- James D. Baxter, 1891
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
NOTES IN 200TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY OF FRATERNAL LODGE, JUNE 2001
(Regarding the meeting place of Fraternal Lodge): "(The lodge) agreed to an addition to the schoolhouse on Cobb's Hill. This addition took the form of a second story, and served as the home of the Lodge until 1850. A Lodge of Odd Fellows and James Otis Lodge, A. F. & A. M. subsequently used it from 1865 to 1891. This building was torn down about 1935."
(Regarding the increase in Masonry after the anti-Masonic period.) "Other Lodges sprang up on the Cape. James Otis Lodge was chartered in Barnstable Village in 1866, Howard Lodge in South Yarmouth in 1869, and Mariners' Lodge in Cotuit in 1870. A great many of the charter members of these Lodges were members of Fraternal Lodge and were demitted in order to form them. Of the three, James Otis Lodge surrendered its charter in 1891, and most of the members returned to Fraternal Lodge."