Location: Copiapo, Chile; Caldera, Chile (1869)
Chartered By: John T. Heard
Charter Date: 12/14/1859
Precedence Date: 12/15/1857
Current Status: unknown; gone by 1877
In the committee report on Grand Master William Sewall Gardner's address presented in September 1869, the lodge is described as having come "to a stand still, not having done any work for a long time, it being impossible for the members to meet in sufficient numbers. The committee recommended that the lodge be permitted to remove to Caldera, the port of Copiapo. (Page VII-378)
In September 1877, the Grand Master reported that "the Charter of Hiram Lodge, of Copiapo, Chili [sic], which had ceased to exist, had been forwarded by Rev. Dr. Trumbull, District Deputy for Chili, and had placed upon the archives of the Grand Lodge." (Page 1877-205)
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXVIII, No. 11, September 1869, Page 356:
In December, 1857, Grand Master Heard granted a Dispensation to Joseph T. Brower and six other Brethren, for a Lodge at Copiapo, in the Republic of Chili, to be known as "Hiram Lodge." It was soon after regularly organized, and the R. W. Brother Dr. John Flint was appointed its proxy in this Grand Lodge; but your committee regret to say it has never realized the expectations of its founders, or the hopes of its friends. Its present condition, and views of future improvement, are briefly stated by the R. W. George H. Kendall, Deputy for the District, in a note to the chairman of your committee, dated at Valparaiso, April 15, 18G9, in the following words:
"Hiram Lodge of Copiapo, has come to a standstill, not having done any work for a long time, it being impossible for the members to meet in sufficient numbers. They are about to petition for the removal of the Lodge to Caldera, the port of Copiapo, where a number of Masons reside, and where its existence would be beneficial to them, as well as to sojourners."
The petition here referred to having been received, your committee recommend that the Grand'Master authorize the removal of the Lodge from Copiapo to Caldera, if he shall deem such removal useful and expedient.
FROM CENTENARY HISTORY OF BETHESDA LODGE, VALPARAISO, SEPTEMBER 1953
From Proceedings, Page 1953-273:
"In June, 1857, a petition was presented to Bethesda Lodge asking for recommendation to open Ward Lodge in Tongoy, but same was not supported, being considered premature. In September, 1857, a similar petition was received for the opening of Hiram Lodge at Copiapo, which was put forward and duly authorized by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts on December 15, 1857, and Charter granted December 14, 1859. In April 1869, owing to difficulties of meeting in sufficient numbers, this Lodge requested to be removed to the Port of Caldera, which was granted by Grand Lodge on September 2, 1869, but even then it does not seem to have been successful because there is no record of it in Grand Lodge Proceedings after 1871, and in September 1877 the Recording Grand Secretary reported that the Charter of Hiram Lodge of Copiapo, Chile, which had ceased to exist, had been forwarded by Rev. Dr. Trumbull, District Deputy for Chile, and had been placed among the archives of the Grand Lodge."