- 1 FRIENDSHIP LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 HISTORY
- 2.2 OTHER
- 2.3 EVENTS
- 2.4 DISTRICTS
- 2.5 LINKS
Charter Date: 07/23/1785 I-327
Charter Date: 03/10/1794 II-54
Precedence Date: 03/10/1794
Current Status: unknown. Charter surrendered (after 1828?)
1968-232 suggests that the Lodge was chartered 07/23/1785.
- Thompson J. Skinner, Jr., 1807
- Charles Baker, 1827
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Charter: 1785
- 1919 (History of Masonry in Northern Berkshire, presented at 50th Anniversary of Upton Lodge, 1919-525)
- 1935 (Notes included in "The Masonic Predecessors of Mystic Lodge", by Most Wor. Herbert W. Dean, 1935-102)
- 1946 (Notes in 75th Anniversary history of Williams Lodge, 1946-173)
- 1957 (Notes in Centenary history of Berkshire Lodge, 1957-149)
- 1968 (Notes in Temple dedication at Berkshire Lodge, 1968-232)
- 2007 (Notes in 150th Anniversary history of Berkshire Lodge, 2007-150)
NOTES IN 75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY OF WILLIAMS LODGE, MAY 1946
From Proceedings, Page 1946-173:
The first Masonic Lodge in Williamstown was known by the name of Friendship Lodge, and was organized 161 years ago. Friendship Lodge was instituted by dispensation, and Israel Jones was appointed Worshipful Master by Massachusetts Grand Lodge July 23, 1785. It is therefore one of the very earliest Lodges in Massachusetts. We are in possession of three Master Mason's diplomas issued by Friendship Lodge in the years 1796, 1805 and 1806 respectively. These are signed by the officers of the Lodge, and among the signatures, appear the names of two of the Trustees of Williams College. These interesting documents are here and available for your inspection. A few extracts copied from the minutes of the Lodge are also in our possession.
The Lodge is frequently mentioned in local histories of the period, but on the whole, we have comparatively little information concerning the activities of Friendship Lodge. Suffice it here to say that after forty-three years of active work, the Lodge surrendered its Charter in the year 1828. The records of old Friendship Lodge are now to be found in the archives of the Grand Lodge in Boston.
FROM CENTENARY HISTORY OF BERKSHIRE LODGE, NOVEMBER 1957
From Proceedings, Page 1957-151:
Friendship Lodge of Williamstown was the second Lodge to be instituted in Berkshire County. Their Charter was issued July 23, 1785. It was surrendered in 1828, when the anti-Masonic storm clouds began to gather.
FROM CORNER STONE LAYING FOR BERKSHIRE LODGE, OCTOBER 1968
From Proceedings, Page 1968-232:
Friendship Lodge of Williamstown was the second Lodge to be instituted in Berkshire County. Their Charter was issued in 1785 on the 23rd of July. It was surrendered in 1828 when the Anti-Masonic storm clouds began to gather.
FROM 150TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY OF BERKSHIRE LODGE, SEPTEMBER 2007
From Proceedings, Page 2007-150:
Friendship Lodge of Williamstown was the second lodge to be instituted in Berkshire County. Their Charter was issued in 1785 on the 23rd day of July. It was surrendered in 1828 when the Masonic storm clouds began to gather.
- 1807 (Investigation of Lodge accounts, II-359)
- 1807 (Petition to remit funds, II-363)
- 1820 (Report on delinquency, III-283; III-300)
- 1821 (Report on delinquency, III-374)
- 1822 (Report on delinquency, III-428)
- 1824 (Report on delinquency, III-471)
- 1828 (Report on delinquency, IV-147)
OFFICER LIST, FEBRUARY 1827
From Masonic Mirror and Mechanics' Intelligencer, Vol. III, No. 8, February 1827, Page 58:
Officers of Friendship Lodge, Williamstown, Ma.:
- Bro. Charles Baker, R. W. M.
- Bro. Daniel N. Dewey, S. W.
- Bro. Albert G. M. Smith, J. W.
- Bro. Solomon Bulkley, Treasurer.
- Bro. Abraham Hanson, Secretary.
- Bro. Edmund Badger, S. D.
- Bro. Horace Greason, J. D.
- Bro. Thomas Mellody, Tyler.