Bethel

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search

BETHEL LODGE

Location: Enfield

Chartered By: John Abbot

Charter Date: 09/14/1825 III-554

Precedence Date: 09/14/1825

Current Status: in Grand Lodge Vault; merged into Eden Lodge, 10/27/1939. Charter may have been surrendered some time between 1826 and 1858; restored 1858.


NOTES

RESTORATION OF CHARTER, MARCH 1858

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XVII, No. 6, April 1858, Page 164:

Among other matters of much local interest which came before the Grand Lodge of this Commonwealth at its late Quarterly Communication, was the following interesting Report from the Committee to whom at the previous meeting, had been referred the subject of restoring to the petitioners the Charter of Bethel Lodge, at Enfield, which, during the antimasonic persecution, had been surrendered to the Grand Lodge : —

To the M. W. Grand Matter, Grand Wardens and Brethren of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts —

"The Committee to whom was referred, with full powers, the application for the restoration of the Charter of Bethel Lodge, of Enfield, were waited upon by a com mittee of the petitioners, consisting of Brothers J. B. Woods and Ichabod Pope, who gave them such information as induced your Committee to decide unanimously in favor of the application. The Charter has accordingly been restored. The seven petitioners all reside in Enfield. There are in all sixteen members of the Lodge now surviving. Enfield itself is a town of about eleven hundred inhabitants. There were, prior to the antimasonic invasion, Lodges in Belchertown, five miles, and in Ware, seven miles, distant. The nearest Lodge now, is at Palmer Depot, distant twelve miles. There are two others — one at Northampton, and one at Barre — distant eighteen and seventeen miles.

"In the days of its prosperity, Bethel Lodge built a Hall, which was purchased, and is now owned by Brothers J. B. and Leonard Woods — two of the petitioners.

"Nowhere were our Brethren more accrimoniously persecuted during the dark ages, than at Enfield Their Lodge room was broken open, and their jewels stolen and divided among the thieves, as a reward for their virtuous and valorous attacks upon their peaceful and law abiding neighbors.
"The Records and seal were preserved ; and the more bulky furniture, but little injured, now remains the property of the Lodge.

"Since that time, now a quarter of a century, the Lodge room has remained as it was left, awaiting the time when the sound of the gavel should again call order oat of chaos ; and the Brethren to renew their peaceful labors.

"The Brethren to whom the Charter has been restored, are among the most wor thy and wealthy of the town. They are full of Masonic zeal — and rejoice in the restoration of a Charter identified with their early Masonic years ; that, in their old Hall and in their ancient seats, with a large and bountiful field before them, and with the mysteries of Masonry safely deposited in their faithful breasts, they may rebuild the Lodge of their youth in Wisdom, Strength and Beauty.

"Truth, though crushed to earth shall rise again."

Benjamin Dean, William W. Baker, William C. Martin, Committee.

PAST MASTERS

  • Henry Fobes, 1825-1828; Mem
  • Aaron Woods, Jr., 1829-1857
  • Josiah B. Woods, 1858
  • John Crosby, 1859-1863
  • Cyrus F. woods, 1864-1866
  • William S. Douglas, 1867, 1871, 1872; SN
  • George S. Dixon, 1868, 1869
  • Henry E. Brown, 1870
  • William B. Kimball, 1873, 1874
  • James G. Ford, 1875-1877, 1881-1884, 1890, 1891
  • John W. Felton, 1878-1880
  • Fred N. Pierce, 1885-1888, 1892-1894
  • Eugene C. Lamson, 1889
  • Lewis D. Sloane, 1895, 1896
  • Henry Bittner, 1897, 1898, 1904, 1905
  • William Milsop, 1899, 1900, 1902
  • William F. Howe, 1901
  • William Lisk, 1903, 1918-1920
  • Frank Johnston, 1906, 1907
  • Stewart Twible, 1908, 1909
  • Thomas Hickland, 1910, 1911
  • Edwin H. Howe, 1912
  • James R. Lisk, 1913
  • Charles W. Felton, 1914
  • Herbert A. Coolbeth, 1915
  • Edward B. Downing, 1916, 1917
  • H. Morgan Ryther, 1921-1923; N
  • J. Frederick Zappey, 1924, 1925; SN
  • Hartwell J. Hill, 1926
  • Elliott E. Harwood, 1927
  • Charles D. Walker, 1928
  • Albert E. Richardson, 1929
  • Merton C. Pike, 1930
  • William Metcalf, 1931
  • Lester E. Hall, 1932, 1936
  • Jerome L. Spurr, 1933
  • Preston M. Putnam, 1934
  • Charles A. Fitts, 1935
  • Homer B. Briggs, 1937
  • Oliver R. Snow, 1938, 1939

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition For Dispensation: 1825
  • Petition for Merger: 1939

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1858 1896 1910 1912 1922 1924

HISTORY

  • 1964 (Historical notes in the Centenary History of Eden Lodge, 1964-192)
HISTORICAL NOTES IN THE CENTENARY HISTORY OF EDEN LODGE, JUNE 1964

From Proceedings, Page 1964-192:

Beginning about 1930, the State of Massachusetts began the huge project of the building of the Quabbin Reservoir. The reservoir area was then occupied by several towns which had to be vacated. One such town was Enfield, which for many years had a flourishing Masonic Lodge called Bethel Lodge. The membership was made up not only of Brethren who were residents of Enfield, but of other towns in the Valley which also were to be inundated. Eden Lodge extended its hospitality to the members of Bethel Lodge to use our Lodge Rooms during the upheaval. In 1938, Bethel Lodge voted to affiliate with us, and on May 1, 1939, a petition, requesting such affiliation, was sent to the Grand Lodge for its approval. Approval was granted. On October 27, 1939, both Lodges met for the formal Affiliation. The meeting was held in the Unitarian Church, and was attended by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Joseph Earl Perry, and his suite. Worshipful Donald S. Dinsmore was Master of our Lodge, and Worshipful O. Russell Snow was Master of Bethel Lodge. About 200 Masons were in attendance. Bethel Lodge surrendered its charter to the Grand Master for preservation and transferred its records and funds to Eden Lodge. Seventhy-six Bethren of Bethel Lodge were brought into our fellowship and care.

OTHER

  • 1829 (report on delinquency)
  • 1857 (petition for restoration)
    • 1858 (restoration granted)
  • 1938 (in Grand Master's address: last meeting due to creation of Quabbin Reservoir)

EVENTS

OFFICER LIST, FEBRUARY 1864

From Masonic Monthly, Vol. I, No. 4, February 1864, Page 190:

The officers of Bethel Lodge, Enfield, Mass., for the current term, are as follows :—

  • John Crosby, W. M.;
  • C. F. Woods, S. W.;
  • A. L. Doak, J. W.;
  • Augustus Moody, Treas.;
  • Charles Richards, Sec.;
  • W. S. Douglass, S. D.;
  • M. H. Gross, J. D.;
  • R. D. Bussey, S. S.;
  • W. A. Trask, J. S.;
  • Ozias Randall, T.

GRAND LODGE OFFICERS

OTHER BROTHERS


DISTRICTS

1825: District 6

1835: District 6

1849: District 6

1867: District 8 (Greenfield)

1873: District 18 (Palmer)

1878: District 8 (Greenfield)

1883: District 17 (Palmer)

1911: District 19 (Palmer)

1927: District 19 (Palmer)


LINKS

Archive Reference

Massachusetts Lodges