Baalbec

From MasonicGenealogy
Revision as of 22:51, 12 August 2013 by Hotc1733 (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

BAALBEC LODGE

Location: East Boston; Chelsea (1954)

Chartered By: George M. Randall

Charter Date: 03/10/1853 V-453

Precedence Date: 03/10/1852

Current Status: in Grand Lodge Vault; merged to Wyoming Lodge, 09/07/2001 (2001-81).


PAST MASTERS

  • William Waters, 1852-1854, 1856, 1857
  • Thomas Dalton, 1855
  • Thomas Foster, 1862-1864, 1867
  • Albert Hughes, 1865, 1866
  • Emory D. Leighton, 1868, 1869
  • Daniel W. Palmer, 1870, 1871
  • Richard Ingalls, 1872-1874, 1877
  • Thomas Kellough, 1878, 1879
  • Andrew P. Fisher, 1880, 1881
  • Frank C. Wood, 1882, 1883
  • Albert R. Perkins, 1884, 1885
  • Charles T. Writt, 1886, 1887
  • Joseph Rossiter, 1888, 1889
  • John Stalker, 1890, 1891; SN
  • William G. Smith, 1892, 1893
  • Gilbert M. Stalker, 1894, 1895
  • Edward G. Graves, 1896, 1897
  • Henry W. Smith, 1898, 1899
  • Willis B. McMichael, 1900, 1901
  • William B. Jackson, 1902, 1903
  • Ellsworth Hatherway, 1904, 1905
  • George H. Battis, 1906, 1907
  • Fred I. Pigeon, 1908, 1909
  • Alfred E. Wellington, 1910, 1911
  • J(acob). Franklin Hodge, 1912, 1913
  • Roy W. Pigeon, 1914, 1915
  • Edward E. Lyon, 1916, 1917
  • Arbert R. Steadfast, 1918, 1919
  • Edward C.R. Bagley, 1920; Mem
  • George M. MacKinnon, 1921, 1922
  • George L. Duncan, 1923, 1924
  • E. Coleman Brown, 1925, 1926
  • Arnold B. Crosby, 1927, 1928; SN
  • Horace W. Sia, 1929, 1930
  • Frederick M. Jackson, 1931, 1932
  • Henry Chisholm, 1935, 36
  • George C. Eldridge, 1937
  • Harry M. Carlson, 1938, 1939; N
  • Charles M. McNeil, 1940
  • Merrill E. Osbourne, 1941, 1942
  • Gustave Schlaugk, 1943, 1944; N
  • John O. Broberg, 1945, 1946
  • Robert E. Turpin, 1947, 1948
  • Stanley B. Oram, 1949, 1950
  • Tallman Gunderson, 1951
  • Roger A. Hooper, 1952
  • Wallace Snowden, Jr., 1953, 1954
  • Carlton Cooke, 1955
  • James Sirios, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992; N
  • George H. Cleary, 1957
  • Frank Peterson, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1993
  • Richard A. Isasi, 1960, 1961
  • Harold K. Emmons, 1962
  • Peter P. Lane, 1963
  • Willis Emmons, 1964, 1967
  • William R. Machado, 1965, 1966
  • John W. Keene, 1968, 1969
  • Manuel J. Souza, 1970
  • Clifford O. Dolber, 1971
  • Daniel Seaward, 1972
  • Keith W. Lidback, 1973
  • Henry P. Lidback, 1974
  • James K. Brayden, 1975
  • Randall H. Neal, 1976-1977
  • Roland Scott-Robson, 1978
  • Thomas F. Voyer, 1979
  • Herbert F. Silva, 1983, 1984
  • Adolfo Fernandes, 1985
  • Henry C. Betcher, Jr., 1986, 1990; N
  • Warren Cutts, 1987
  • Lawrence B. Boyd, 1994, 1996, 1997
  • Howard A. Judd, Jr., 1995
  • Frank A. Peterson, 1998-2000
  • Arthur Gagnon, 2000-2001

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1852
  • Petition for Charter: 1853
  • Consolidation Petition (with Wyoming Lodge): 2001

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1902 (50th Anniversary)
  • 1952 (Centenary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1870 1872 1874 1875 1878 1879 1884 1890 1898 1924 1931 1935 1940 1947 1949 1952 1958 1961 1966 1983 1994

HISTORY

  • 1952 (Centenary History, 1952-118)

OTHER

  • 1954 (Petition to remove to Chelsea)

EVENTS

CONSTITUTION, APRIL 1852

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XII, No. 7, May 1852, p. 235:

THE LODGES AT EAST BOSTON.

Those of our native but distant readers (and we have many such), who may remember that part of our city now known as East Boston, only as an island with its lone wooden dwelling, will be gratified to learn that amid its present ten thousand inhabitants and numerous substantial and beautiful residences, two flourishing Lodges have been erected, and are in the enjoyment of a measure of prosperity unsurpassed by any others in the Commonwealth, as they are unexcelled in the devotedness of their officers and members. Mount Tabor Lodge was established in 1846, and until 1852 was deemed to be sufficient to answer all the demands of that section of the city. But in that year its members had increased to a number alike inconvenient for its accommodations and for the purposes of work. It was also thought,—and the result has justified the opinion,— that the rapid increase of the population and the consequent increase of petitioners for the privileges of the Order, called for the establishment of another Lodge there. A petition was accordingly presented to the Grand Master, who very readily issued his Dispensation, and a new Lodge was formed, and worked under this authority until the quarterly communication of the Grand Lodge in March last, when a Charter was granted for its permanent organization under the name of "Baalbec Lodge."

Its new hall, which is large, convenient, and handsomely furnished, was dedicated, the Lodge consecrated, and its officers installed, by the M. W. Grand Master, assisted by the proper Grand Officers, on Thursday evening the 28th of April last, in the presence of a large number of Brethren, including the officers and members of both the new and the old Lodge. The ceremonies were necessarily brief for the want of time, but we be lieve they were satisfactory to all present, and were of an interesting and impressive character. At their conclusion the Brethren were appropriately addressed by the M. W. Grand Master, and the Lodge was closed. The Brethren, together with the officers of the Grand Lodge as invited guests,

then repaired to the Maverick House, where an excellent entertainment had been provided for their refreshment, and where they passed a pleas ant hour in an agreeable way. The usual sentiments were given, and speeches were made by the Grand Master, Rev. George M. Randall, Dr. J. V. C. Smith, D. D. G. M. for the District in which the new Lodge is lo cated, and other Brethren. The officers of the new Lodge are as follows :—

  • William Waters, W. M.
  • Thomas Dalton, S. W.
  • Benjamin C. Seaver, J. W.
  • John Davis, Trea.
  • William S. Albertson, Secretary
  • Joseph H. Bates, S. D.
  • William Brewster, J. D.

INSTALLATION, MARCH 1864

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXIII, No. 6, April, 1864, Page 178:

This excellent old Lodge, located at East Boston, had a public celebration of its officers, on the 22d ult. Previous engagements prevented our personal attendance, but we understand that there was a very large number of Brethren and invited guests, including ladies, present, and that the ceremonies and festivities of the evening passed off in a very agreeable manner. The installation ceremonies were performed by Dist. Dep. Gr. Master Nickerson, in an appropriate and impressive manner. At the close of the installation services a beautiful and costly Past Master's Jewel was presented to W. M. Thos. A. Foster, on behalf of the members of the Lodge by Past Master N. A. Apollonio, of St. Paul's Lodge, in a neat and eloquent speech, and was responded to by the recipient in a few but appropriate remarks. The members of the Lodge, their ladies and invited guests then repaired to the music rooms of J. A. Turner, Esq., where a bountiful collation had been prepared under the direction of a committee of the Lodge. The following officers were installed :—

  • Thomas A. Foster, W. M.
  • Albert Huse, S. W.
  • Nathaniel T. Gorham, J. W.
  • William H. Brown, Treas.
  • Daniel W. Palmer, Sec.
  • John Carney, Joseph Baker and Joshua Smalley, Com. of Finance
  • Joshua Smalley, Wm. H. Brown and Joseph Baker, Trustees of Lot in Woodlawn Cemetery.

GRAND LODGE OFFICERS


DISTRICTS

1852: District 1

1867: District 3 (Boston Highlands)

1883: District 3 (East Boston)

1911: District 3 (East Boston)

1927: District 3 (Chelsea)


LINKS

Massachusetts Lodges