From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search


In 1861, six dispensations were granted for lodges to be held with active-duty regiments during the American Civil War. Each dispensation was granted to a particular regiment. These dispensations expired at the end of 1865.

Dispensation Granted By: William T. Coolidge

Regiment: 16th Infantry

Precedence Date: 08/12/1861


  • Leander G. King, 1861-1863; Mem


From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXI, No. 11, August, 1862, Page 337:

The following letter explains itself, and the occasion of it, so fully, that we need not add anything to it, for the information of the reader; and it is perhaps needless to say, that the Jewels will be restored to the Brethren at Newbern at the earliest opportunity practicable:—

Boston, Aug. 8, 1862.

Charles W. Moore, G. Sec. of the Grand Lodge of Mass.

Dear Sir and Brother — You will please receive herewith, eight silver Jewels, the property of St. John's Lodge, of Newbern, N. Carolina, which you will please deposit in the Archives of the Grand Lodge, for safe keeping, until an opportunity shall offer to return (hem to the rightful Masonic owners.

They were obtained from a soldier, who probably obtained them from a negro, as, when the Masonic Hall was desecrated, the negroes carried away many valuables. Captain, now Lt. Col., Andrew dwell, of the 23d Regiment, a good Mason, and brave and gallant soldier, hearing by chance, that some Masonic Jewels had been seen in the hands of a soldier, one of his own company, caused strict search to be made, and finally found the Jewel, of which he well knows the use He now desires me to place them in the Archives of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, for safe keeping, so that when peace may again spread her pleasant wings, the grateful duty may remain to us to restore, to whom they belong, "these Jewels, emblems of our Masonic Brotherhood—and I earnestly hope the lime may soon come, when they shall remind our misguide 1 Brethren, that we, as Masons, have not, neither will we ever forget our common Brotherhood.

Fraternally, Wm. Parkman.

From Capt. Andrew Elwell, of 23d Regt. Mass., a resident of Gloucester, now at Newbern, N. C, where the Lodge Room is now occupied as a barrack.



Memorial Marker

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly Magazine, Vol. XXI, No. 10, July 1862, Page 307:

The rites of sepulture were performed in this city on the 22d ultimo, over the mortal remains of the late Powell Tremlett Wyman, Colonel of the 16th Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteers, who fell in the defence of his country.

The sense of the community, in respect of the gallant dead, found expression in the display of innumerable flags at half-mast from the public and private buildings in Boston and the neighboring towns, and from the shipping in the harbor.

The public sorrow was manifested in the crowds of mourning citizens who lined the streets and clustered around the State House; who crowded about the bier, not from idle curiosity, but from a deep sympathy with, and respect for the memory of the fallen hero.

THE BODY IN STATE. At eleven o'clock in the forenoon the remains of Col. Wyman were laid in state in the Doric Hall, at the State House. The corpse was incased in a metallic coffin, which was inclosed in a casket, covered with black velvet, richly studded with silver. The casket bore a silver plate with this inscription:—

Colonel Powell T. Wyman,
Who fell in the battle of Glendale, June 30, 1862,
aged 34.

Upon the top of the casket were exposed the regulation sword which the deceased wore througbout bis campaign, with his belt attached, and another sword with an elaborately ornamented gilt scabbard, which was presented to him in February last by the officers under his command. A richly ornamented belt and the sash or Col. Wyman were also displayed. Floral tributes, in the form of crosses and wreaths, also graced the bier of the soldier.


The Independent Corps of Cadets, Lieut. Col. Holmes, formed a Guard of Honor, and stood silently around the corpse, while the public in large numbers passed through the Hall to view the casket which contained the remains of the patriot dead.

Adjutant Merriam of the 16th regiment, who saw Col. Wyman fall, who spoke to him five minutes before be expired, and who was himself wounded immediately after, was present, as was also H. Waldo Claflin, the faithful servant of Col. Wyman, who assisted in laying him in his temporary grave on the battle-field, and through whose assistance the body was recovered, both of whom stood at the head of the corpse while it lay in state.


The arrangements for the obsequies were carried out by Major Gen. Andrews of the 1st Division M. V. M., Adjutant Gen. Schouler, upon whom the duty properly devolved, being otherwise officially engaged.

At half-past twelve the remains were removed from the State House to the hearse, in the presence of a vast concourse of spectators, who thronged the balconies and steps, and the streets, and Common in front of the capitol.

The 2d regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, Col. I. S. Burrill, three hundred strong, were drawn up in front of the State House, and the various Masonic bodies were posted in their rear. The Brigade Band, accompanying the Cadets, played a solemn dirge while the corpse was moving from the Capitol.


The escort consisted of the Second Regiment, M. V. M., comprising eight companies, under Col. I. S. Burrill, accompanied by the Chelsea Cornet' Band.

Next came the Masonic bodies in the following order:

  • Officers of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, and delegations from several Lodges in Boston and vicinity, to the number of one hundred.
  • Cadets.
  • Hearse.
  • Cadets.
  • Pall Bearers.
  • Waldo Claflin, Col. Wyman'a servant, followed, leading the horse of the deceased.
  • Then followed officers and privates of the 16th Massachusetts Regiment in carriages.
  • Next came several officers of the United States Army in carriages.
  • Other carriages followed containing Governor Andrew and staff.
  • Then came a carriage containing the widow and family relations of the deceased.

The mourners were conveyed in twelve carriages.

The funeral cortege then moved down Beacon street to Walnut; up Walnut to Mt. Vernon; Mt. Vernon to Park; Park to Tremont; Tremont to Court and Cambridge Street, to Cambridge bridge.

On reaching Cambridge bridge the Boston police force were relieved by those of Cambridge, in charge of Chief Sanderson, and after a short halt the cortege moved across the bridge and then up Harvard Street to the College square, thence through Garden Street to Brattle Street, and thus to Mount Auburn Cemetery. During the passage of the procession through Old Cambridge the bells of Christ Church chimed a dirge, and all the flags in the city were displayed at half-mast as a mark of respect to the memory of the brave soldier.

On arriving at the Cemetery the escort was formed on each side the street, outside the gate, and the hearse, with the Guard of Honor, mourners and officials, passed through the entrance to the chapel, the Second Regiment remaining outside the Cemetery for the purpose of firing the customary volley, the rules of the corporation forbidding this being done within the enclosure.

After the body had been carried into the chapel and the mourners and friends had also entered, the impressive burial service of the Episcopal Church was read by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Eastburn. This occupied about half an hour, when the body was again placed in the hearse and the cortege was again reformed, and proceeded to the receiving tomb, the Brigade Band playing the Dead March.

On reaching the tomb the remains were placed on the bier in front, and William D. Coolidge, Esq., Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, read the Masonic funeral service, after which Rev. T. J. Greenwood, of Maiden, the Grand Chaplain, addressed a few words of consolation to the afflicted relatives, and paid a high tribute to the bravery of the deceased and then made a prayer which closed the ceremonies. The body was then placed in the tomb, the volleys were fired by the escort, and the friends and relatives took their departure.

Col. Wyman was made a Mason in Middlesex Lodge, at Framingham, but was not a member of any particular Lodge. He was, however, one of the petitioners for the Lodge in the 16th regiment, of which he was Colonel.

NEHG Register Description:

"Wyman, Col Powell Tremlett; fell at the battle of Glendale, June 30, 1862 aged 34 He was the son of Oliver C. Wyman of Boston a writer to whom Kettell gives a place in his Specimen of American Poetry. Col Wyman was born in Franklin Place, Boston, January 29, 1828. He entered the US Military Academy at West Point in 1846 and graduated in 1850 the fifth in his class. He was brevet 3d lieutenant of Artillery, 1st July 1850 and continued in the service till about two years ago, when he resigned and went to Europe. On the breaking out of the rebellion last year he returned and offered his services to Gov. Andrew who appointed him Colonel of the 16th Massachusetts Volunteers. During his command he showed himself a brave man a thorough soldier and an accomplished and efficient officer He was killed by a minié ball which having been blunted by hitting some other object penetrated his breast near the heart about an inch and a half tapping the main artery. The body was carried several miles from the field and buried on Haxall's plantation It was afterwards taken up and brought to Boston where his funeral took place on Tuesday July 22 from the State House. The governor and other officials were present as was also quite a large delegation of Masons including many prominent members of the order. His remains were interred in Mount Auburn. The funeral solemnities were of an imposing character."


From Moore's Freemason's Monthly Magazine, Vol. XXIII, No. 2, December 1863, Page 68:

Killed in the battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 2d, 1863, Bro. Leander G. King, Capt. of Company C. 16th regt. Massachusetts Volunteers. Bro. King received the three degrees of Freemasonry in St. Paul Lodge, Groton Centre, during the year 1858, and subsequently became a member of that Lodge. In March, 1859, he was one of the petitioners for Caleb Butler Lodge, at Groton Junction; afterwards became a member, and remained a firm supporter of the Lodge while he lived. Soon after the commencement of the present war, Br. King commenced raising a company in this place to aid in suppressing the rebellion. His kind and courteous deportment enabled him to rapidly recruit a Company, mostly from Groton and Westford, who remained devotedly attached to him to the day of his death.

Our Brother was a superior drill officer, having had some experience in that capacity, in one of the Cambridge companies some years since. He, with his company, had been in from fifteen to twenty battles and skirmishes, previous to the battle of Gettysburg, in which his bearing and conduct, as an officer, had received the commendation of his superiors. Previous to the departure of the regiment for the seat of war, Bro. King was honored by M. W. Bro. Coolidge in being appointed Master of the Army Lodge connected with the lOlh regt., and, though the Lodge held but few meetings, his conduct afforded no reproach to the high position to which he had been called by that appointment. His remains were recovered by Bro. O. N. Wing, and returned to his home in Groton Junction, where they were deposited in their final resting place, with Masonic honors, by the Brethren of Caleb Butler Lodge.


  • Dispensation: 1861


Massachusetts Lodges