- 1 SAINT MARTIN'S LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
SAINT MARTIN'S LODGE
Chartered By: Sereno D. Nickerson
Charter Date: 03/12/1873 1873-26
Precedence Date: 01/19/1872
Current Status: Active
- Benjamin D. Gifford, 1872-1874, 1877, 1878, 1888, 1889
- Harrison Hamilton, 1875, 1876
- Parker Nickerson, 1879-1881
- Rufus K. Nickerson, 1882, 1883, 1886, 1887, 1890, 1891
- Oliver E. Eldredge, 1884, 1885, 1892, 1893; SN
- James A. Crowell, 1894, 1895
- John J. Howes, 1896, 1897
- Erastus T. Bearse, 1898, 1899
- Jonathan Eldredge, 1900, 1901
- Edward P. Kendrick, 1902-1904; SN
- Edmund Z. Ryder, 1905, 1906
- Charles G. Chase, 1907, 1908
- Oscar C. Nickerson, 1909, 1910
- George M. Bassett, 1911, 1912
- Eugene E. Cahoon, 1913, 1914
- Josiah Hardy, 1915, 1915
- James N. Jerauld, 1917, 1918
- Isaac F. Howes, 1919, 1920; N
- Nathan A. Buck, 1921, 1922
- George C. Cahoon, 1923, 1924
- Andrew H. Bearse, 1925, 1926
- Ralph E. Cahoon, 1927, 1928
- B. Ralph Bevins, 1929, 1930
- Frederick D. Heiser, 1931, 1932
- Weston Nickerson, 1933, 1934
- Harold Tuttle, 1935, 1936; N
- Elmer B. Sampson, 1937, 1938
- Clement K. Eldredge, 1939, 1940; N
- Leslie H. Strong, 1941, 1942
- Robert E. Tuttle, 1943, 1944
- Horace F. Reynolds, 1945, 1946 N
- Raymond S. Kilhefner, 1947, 1948
- Everett A. Eldredge, 1949, 1950
- Clayton C. Woodward, 1951, 1952
- John C. Hammond, 1953, 1954
- Percy J. Atwood, 1955
- Frank T. Weinz, 1956
- Chester I. Hackett, 1957
- Albert N. Long, 1958
- Frederick H. Bearse, 1959
- Bernhard L. Jacobsen, 1960
- Joseph W. Sampson, 1961
- Donald F. Eldredge, 1962
- Kendrick N. Eldredge, 1963
- Ralph R. Crowell, 1964
- George D. Willett, Jr., 1965; SN
- Joseph W. Dubis, Jr., 1966
- Donald R. Howes, 1967, 1968
- Robert G. Dubis, 1969
- John F. Carr, 1970
- James C. Eldredge, 1971
- Harrison R. Eldredge, 1972
- Walter V. Love, 1973
- K. Herbert Pratt, Jr., 1974
- Roderick MacDonald, Jr., 1975
- David K. Nickerson, 1976
- James C. Patterson, 1977
- David R. Thomson, 1978, 1979; PDDGM
- Thorne W. Campbell, Jr., 1980
- Morton D. Furber, Jr., 1981
- William E. Schmittling, 1982, 1994
- Harold F. Swetland, 1983
- Terry W. Eldredge, 1985, 2003
- Jeffery S. Eldredge, 1986
- Benjamin T. Nickerson, 1987
- Gary L. Hackett, 1988
- William R. Hammatt, 1989, 1990, 2008, 2009; N
- Richard F. Merrill, 1991
- Walter R. Ripley, 1992, 1999
- Eugene W. Dubis, 1993
- Robert W. Proctor, 1995
- Glenn R. Elion, 1996
- Robert W. Dubis, 1997, 2004
- David C. Hunt, 1998, 2006
- Alfred W. Doucette, 2000
- Russell I. Carter, 2001, 2007
- John E. Eldert, 2002; PDDGM
- Mark F. Karras, 2005
- Richard N. Roy, 2010, 2011
- Robert F. Denn, 2012
- Robert F. Dugas, 2013
- Andrew B. Goddard, 2014
- William A. Benoit, III, 2015, 2016; PDDGM
- Thomas J. Fitzgerald, 2017, 2018
- Richard F. Merrill, Jr., 2019
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 1972 (Centenary)
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1873 (Nickerson; Constitution of Lodge and installation; Special Communication; see below)
- 1919 (Nickerson; installation)
- 1934 (Chipman)
- 1936 (Allen)
- 1937 (Allen)
- 1972 (Vose; Centenary; Special Communication)
- 1973 (Vose)
- 1994 (Lovering; installation)
- 1972 (Centenary History, 1972-139)
CENTENARY HISTORY, JUNE 1972
From Proceedings, Page 1972-139:
By Worshipful Frank T. Weinz.
St. Martin's Lodge was organized one hundred years ago onjanuary 19, 1872. A dispensation was granted from the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts to St. Martin's Lodge on that date. Brother Benjamin D. Gifford was our first Master, and our first meeting was held on January 27, 1872.
On March 12, 1873 our Charter was received from the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. Our first meeting was held in an upstairs room on Main Street, in a building owned, at that time, by Ellery Higgins. The building was then known as the Fifth Avenue Tailor Shop, and known today as Webster's Sport Shop.
The first petitions for the degrees were received from Parker Nickerson and James Young on February 5, 1872.
At present, in the Lodge room, we still use the letter "G" on the East wall, which was donated by Brother Josiah Hardy, 2nd, on March 4, 1872.
The Lodge was constituted on April 7, 1873 by Most Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Master of Massachusetts, at a meeting of St. Martin's Lodge.
On December 31, 1874 the Lodge changed its hall to a building rented from Brother Erastus Nickerson opposite the present Chatham Theatre, presently occupied by Brother Wendell M. Rogers at 646 Main Street.
On July 6, 1885 the Lodge moved to new quarters in the Town Hall on the third floor, which was located where the Intermediate School now stands on Main Street.
Members voted, at the meeting on March 3, 1902, to buy the Baptist Church property on Old Harbor Road, and on July 6, 1903 the Lodge held its first meeting in its new home.
The first candidate to be raised to the Degree of Master Mason in the new Lodge-room was Brother Zenas W. Hawes on November 2, 1903.
The Altar was donated by Emma Thayer on July 25, 1904 and it is used today in the Lodge.
During the term of office of Wor. Isaac F. Howes, it was recorded as the busiest two years in the history of St. Martin's Lodge. Many of the service men, stationed at the Naval Air Station in Chathamport, were made members of St. Martin's Lodge during 1918-1919. In World War I, St. Martin's Lodge lost one member, Brother Roland C. Nickerson, a Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy. He succumbed in a hospital in Washington, D.C., from probable injuries received during the war.
During the years of 1935 and 1936 many interesting events took place, among them the night when the pedestals in the East and West were presented to the Lodge. The one in the East was presented by Brother L. Vernon Eldredge in memory of his father, Worshipful Jonathan Eldredge. The one in the West was presented by Brother Thomas R. Pennypacker, in memory of his father, Brother Henry Pennypacker. Later in the year the pedestal in the South was presented to the Lodge by Brother Chester A. Eldredge in behalf of his brothers Benjamin O. Eldredge, Ernest S. Eldredge and his sister, Mrs. Myra Ellis and himself in memory of their father, Rt. Wor. Oliver E. Eldredge.
During the term of office of Wor. Harold Turtle, on May 16, 1936, thirty-three members of St. Martin's Lodge, together with forty-two members of other Cape Cod Lodges in our District, made a pilgrimage to the Masonic Home and Hospital, and they were honored by a visit from the Most Worshipful Grand Master, Claude L. Allen. After receiving the Grand Master, the second degree was conferred on Bro. Harold Crocker Dunbar. Brother Dunbar was so impressed with Masonry that he later presented the Lodge with a beautiful painting of the Old Mill of Chatham, with the request that it be later presented to the Masonic Home in Charlton, Massachusetts, and it is now hanging there in the Home.
Wor. Elmer B. Sampson was installed Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 30, 1936 and the following year, on September 24, 1937, St. Martin's Lodge celebrated its sixty-fifth Anniversary. The Grand Master, Most Worshipful Claude L. Allen, was present with his Suite of fourteen distinguished Masons, among whom was Rt. Wor. Cyril W. Downs of Wellfleet, Massachusetts. Three hundred Brothers and Master Masons attended, with one Brother from Scotland.
On this occasion, Wor. Nathan A. Buck received a letter of praise and thanks from the Grand Master, which was presented to him by Rt. Wor. Harold Tuttle.
In 1938, Bro. Zenas W. Hawes was presented with a Distinguished Service Medal by Rt. Wor. Harold Tuttle. It was for his unusual record as a Mason. On December J, 1938, Rt. Wor. Harold Tuttle presented St. Martin's Lodge with an ebony Baton, which is still being used by the Marshal at our meetings. On December22, 1938, Wor. Clement K. Eldredge was installed Master of St. Martin's Lodge. During 1938, Rt. Wor. Horace F. Reynolds presented St. Martin's Lodge with a fine wooden cabinet for storing the Officers' aprons between meetings. In the same year, Bro. Augustus C. Ellis received a letter of praise and thanks from the Grand Master for his faithful service to Masonry. Also, in this year, Rt. Wor. Harold Tuttle and Rt. Wor. Isaac F. Howes presented their District Deputy Grand Master's diplomas to the Lodge. They were framed and now hang on the wall in the Banquet Hall.
One of Chatham's distinguished citizens, Dr. Henry P. Hopkins, became a member of St. Martin's Lodge on May 1, 1939. On December 4, 1939, Bro. George C. Cahoon presented St. Martin's Lodge with a piece of Parian Marble which came from King Solomon's Temple. It is now on display in the Lodge.
Another distinguished Chatham citizen, Bro. Joseph C. Lincoln, received the degrees in St. Martin's Lodge from Rt. Wor. Clement K. Eldredge on October 25, 1940. During this year the idea was suggested that St. Martin's Lodge organize a Club to be known as St. Martin's Club.
Wor. Leslie H. Strong was installed Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 24, 1941. He organized St. Martin's Club and became its first President in 1941 and 1942. The purpose of the Club was to improve the Lodge building. These were active years. The walls were painted, gas heat was installed and a new ceiling was installed under the guidance of Rt. Wor. Horace F. Reynolds. Material for the ceiling was donated by Bro. Howard D. Meincke.
Saint Martin's Lodge lost one of its Brothers in World War II, Brother Robert Scott Brown, who was killed at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.
Wor. Robert E. Tuttle was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge in December 1942 by his brother, Rt. Wor. Harold Tuttle. He raised many candidates to the Degree of Master Mason. The majority of them were in the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard stationed at Chatham. Rt. Wor. Horace F. Reynolds was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge in December, 1944.
Wor. Raymond S. Kilhefner was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge in December, 1946.
Wor. Everett A. Eldredge was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge in December, 1948.
In 1949 Bro. Richardson Wright donated a framed and autographed picture of the Marquis de Lafayette to the Lodge. It now hangs on the wall over the Tyler's desk in the front hall.
Bro. Zenas W. Hawes, in his will, donated $1200. to St. Martin's Lodge. The will provided that $200. be used for repair and improvement of the Lodge building, and the balance of $1,000. was to be used to establish the "Zenas W. Hawes Fund," a Trust Fund, the income of which is to be spent for the purpose of repairs and improvements on the interior of the Lodge building.
Bro. Charles H. Smallhoff, in his will, left $500. to St. Martin's Lodge.
Wor. Everett A. Eldredge revived the interest of the Lodge in St. Martin's Club in 1949.
Wor. Clayton C. Woodward was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 19, 1950.
Rt. Wor. Isaac F. Howes received the Joseph Warren Medal from the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, presented to him by Rt. Wor. Henry F. Smith, District Deputy Grand Master of the Provincetown 32nd Masonic District, on May 14, 1952.
Wor. John C. Hammond was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 12, 1952.
The 100th Anniversary Fund was started during 1953 and the sum of $50. was voted to be deposited in a Savings Account each year for this purpose.
Wor. John C. Hammond was the last Master to serve a two-year term, for a span of thirteen years.
Wor. Percy J. Atwood was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 10, 1954. During his term new chairs were installed on the south side of the Lodge. Plans for a new kitchen were started during this year.
Wor. Frank T. Weinz was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 17, 1955.
Bro. Franklin S. Eldredge had been Secretary of St. Martin's Lodge for over twenty years. His long devoted services have been greatly appreciated.
Bro. Augustus C. Ellis was presented a Joseph Warren Medal on March 12, 1956 by Rt. Wor. Clement K. Eldredge.
Bro. Edward A. Bigelow suggested that St. Martin's Lodge extend Masonic friendship to the officers of Quinsigamond Lodge of Worcester, Massachusetts, by inviting them to visit our Lodge. This was the beginning of the annual visits between the two Lodges. Bro. Edward A. Bigelow entertained the Officers of Quinsigamond Lodge and St. Martin's Lodge at the Christopher Ryder House on June 2, 1956.
Wor. Chester I. Hackett was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 22, 1956. During his term, thirty-six chairs were installed on the north side of the Lodge.
Wor. Albert N. Long was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 7, 1957. Many Lodge improvements were made during his term, including a new wall-to-wall carpet in the Lodge; shrubbery around the Lodge, and a new electric clock on the west wall of the Lodge donated by Bro. James H. Eldredge. A donation of the plaque on the west wall of a point within a circle was made by Bro. Wendell M. Rogers.
Wor. Frederick H. Bearse was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge in December, 1958. During his term of office, St. Martin's Club contributed $4,000. to commence the complete renovation of St. Martin's building. The Lodge has voted on a master plan to modernize and improve the Lodge building.
Wor. Bernhard L. Jacobsen was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge in December, 1959.
The first improvement of the Lodge was to be the hard-topped parking area as recommended by the Landscape Committee.
Wor. Joseph W. Sampson was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 17, 1960. The parking lot and landscaping were completed during his term of office, in accordance with the Landscape Committee's recommendation. The Lodge voted to have a duplicate Charter made and the original was to be placed in a bank vault for safekeeping. Bro. Edward A. Bigelow received a Distinguished Service Medal from the Grand Lodge for his many contributions to St. Martin's Lodge.
Through the will of Bro. John R. Emery, the Lodge received the Hammond electric organ, which is used in the Lodge meetings. It lends dignity to the ceremonies which we all enjoy now.
Wor. Donald F. Eldredge was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge in December, 1961. The Shrine Club of Aleppo Temple of Boston was entertained at St. Martin's Lodge, and during their visit they raised Bro. James C. Eldredge to the degree of Master Mason. During his term studies were made for the need of a new heating system in the Lodge under the supervision of Wor. Frederick H. Bearse and Bro. Vernon W. Whiteley.
Wor. Kendrick N. Eldredge was installed as Master of Saint Martin's Lodge by his father Rt. Wor. Clement K. Eldredge in December 1962. Bro. Donald R. Howes presented a gavel to Rt. Wor. Harold Tutde. It was made of a piece of wood from a shipwreck at Monomoy Point. Also a case to carry his Past Master's Apron was presented to Rt. Wor. Harold Tuttle by eight Past Masters of St. Martin's Lodge. During this year, Rt. Wor. Harold Tuttle received a Distinguished Service Medal, presented to him by Rt. Wor. Ralph Tinkham, District Deputy Grand Master.
Bro. Joseph B. Collins donated three granite stones, one for each of the officer's stations.
Wor. Ralph R. Crowell was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge in December, 1963. A list of members and the By-Laws were sent to each,member of St. Martin's Lodge the cost of which was donated by Bro. Edward A. Bigelow. A new forced hot air gas heating system was completed during this year. Wor. James A. Crowell's Past Master's Apron, which was donated by his family, was framed and is now hanging in the Banquet Hall. He was Master during the years 1894 and 1895.
Wor. George D. Willett, Jr. was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 16, 1964. He was later appointed District Deputy Grand Master of the Provincetown 32nd Masonic District.
Wor. Joseph W. Dubis, Jr. was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 10, 1965. Several Lodge improvements were made during his term of office.
Wor. Donald R. Howes was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 9, 1966 for his first term of office. He was installed for his second term of office on December 8, 1967. Further improvements were being made to the Lodge building, including insulation of the ceiling of the Lodge-room. During these years, sixteen tables were donated by St. Martin's Club to the Lodge for use in the Banquet Hall. A change was made in the By-Laws, changing the Lodge dues to $12.00 per year.
Our beloved Brother Henry P. Hopkins, M. D. departed this life on July 15, 1967. Wor. Benjamin D. Gifford's Past Master's Diploma was found in a home in Chatham and presented to St. Martin's Lodge. It was framed and now hangs in the Banquet Hall.
Wor. Robert G. Dubis was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 7, 1968. Rt. Wor. Clement K. Eldredge raised his son, Bro. William C. Eldredge to the Degree of Master Mason. The Barnstable County Sheriffs Degree Team raised Bro. Richard W. Doane to the Degree of Master Mason. Two well-known Brothers of St. Martin's Lodge, Bro. Dawson W. Richard and Bro. Willard H. Nickerson lost their lives as a result of a boating accident off Monomoy Point while fishing from the same boat on November 3, 1969.
Wor. John F. Carr was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 6, 1969. Present at the installation was Most Worshipful Whitfield W. Johnson, Past Grand Master of Massachusetts.
The Centennial Committee, with Frank T. Weinz, Chairman, and Brothers Harold Tuttle, John A. Chamberlain, and Harrison R. Eldredge were appointed by him to make arrangements for our celebration in 1972.
Wor. James C. Eldredge was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 1 1, 1970. During his term the inside of the Lodge-room was completely painted during the summer of 1971.
Wor. Harrison R. Eldredge was installed as Master of St. Martin's Lodge on December 10, 1971.
Over the years the following Brothers of St. Martin's Lodge have been Masters of the Fifteenth Lodge of Instruction: Rt. Wor-. Isaac F. Howes, Rt. Wor. Everett A. Eldredge, Rt. Wor. Harold Tutde, Wor. Albert N. Long, Rt. Wor. Horace F. Reynolds, Wor. Frederick H. Bearse, Wor. Raymond S. Kilhefner, Rt. Wor. George D. Willett, Jr.
Also we have been honored by the appointments of the following Brothers as District Deputy Grand Masters of our District: Rt. Wor. Oliver E. Eldredge, Rt. Wor. Harold Tuttle, Rt. Wor. Edward Kendrick, Rt. Wor. Clement K. Eldredge, Rt. Wor. Isaac F. Howes, Rt. Wor. Horace F. Reynolds and Rt. Wor. George D. Willett, Jr.
One Brother, Rt. Wor. Horace F. Reynolds, has the honored position of Grand Representative of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts to Minas Gerais, Brazil.
St. Martin's Lodge started in 1872 with twenty-five members, and now has a membership of 272 Brothers. From our humble beginnings, at which time we borrowed $300., we have increased our treasury until our debts were paid and our home was purchased and paid for. Over the recent years we have completely renovated the Lodge Building, inside and outside, with new parking areas, including shrubs and a new flag pole.
At the present date we have a very sincere, energetic and enthusiastic Worshipful Master, Harrison R. Eldredge, whom we shall write about in our next history.
We, with the help of the Supreme Architect of the Universe, have carried you, although briefly, through one hundred years. We now stand at attention to the present and look forward to continued greatness in the future.
- 1924 (Participation in Hyannis corner stone laying, 1924-371)
CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, APRIL 1873
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXXII, No. 5, May 1873, Page 155:
The above is a rather unusual, but perhaps not inappropriate, name of a new Lodge at Chatham, on Cape Cod, which, having worked its year under dispensation, and received its charter at the quarterly communication of the Grand Lodge in March, was constituted by the Grand Master and his officers on the 7th of April last. Chatham is comparatively a small town, but not destitute of a sufficient number of zealous and faithful brethren to maintain a good and respectable Lodge. Its increase will probably be slow, for the reason that its population is not large, and that an important part of its active men are engaged in a sea-faring life, and necessarily absent much of the time. Still, there will be enough left to maintain it respectably, and make it a source of pleasant enjoyment to all. We are sure it has the best wishes of the Grand Lodge for its future prosperity and continuance. The officers for the current year are :—
- Benj. D. Gifford, W. Master.
- Harrison Hamilton, S. W.
- Solomon Nickerson, J. W.
- Kimble Ryder, Treas.
- Albert Thacher, Sec.
- S. W. Nickerson, Sen. Dea.
- David W. Edwards, J. Dea.
- James H. Tripp, S. Steward
- Sullivan Rogers, Tyler.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- William A. Benoit, III, DDGM, District 21, 2017, 2018
- Herbert G. Bell, II, DDGM, District 21, 2019, 2020
- John E. Eldert, DDGM, Waltham 5, 1995, 1996; N
- Clement K. Eldredge, DDGM, District 32 (Provincetown), 1955, 1956; N
- Oliver E. Eldredge, DDGM, District 28 (Provincetown), 1898, 1899; SN
- William R. Hammatt, DDGM, District 32 (Provincetown), 1991, 1992; N
- Isaac F. Howes, DDGM, District 32 (Provincetown), 1930, 1931; N
- Edward P. Kendrick, DDGM, District 28 (Provincetown), 1910; District 32 (Provincetown), 1911, 1912; SN
- Horace F. Reynolds, DDGM, District 32 (Provincetown), 1949, 1950; N
- Harold Tuttle, DDGM, District 32 (Provincetown), 1938, 1939; N
- David R. Thomson, DDGM, District 32 (Provincetown), 1981, 1982
- George D. Willett, Jr., DDGM, District 32 (Provincetown), 1969, 1970; SN