- 1 SAGGAHEW LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 DISTRICTS
- 2.9 LINKS
Chartered By: William Parkman
Charter Date: 12/13/1865 VII-39
Precedence Date: 12/16/1864
Current Status: Active
- Bethany Lodge merged here, 04/18/2015.
- James E. Gale, 1855-1867; SN
- Nathan S. Kimball, 1868-1870
- Arvida M. Vance, 1871-1873
- Henry Cummings, 1874, 1875
- George S. Yeaton, 1876, 1877
- Olscar S. Wiliam, 1878-1881
- John M. Hill, 1882-1885
- J. Otis Wardwell, 1886, 1887
- Edward A. Fitts, 1888, 1889; Mem
- Edwin W. Andrews, 1890, 1891
- Harvey L. Eastman, 1892, 1893
- Charles P. Sumner, 1894-1896; SN
- Joseph A. Dalrymple, 1897, 1898
- Charles E. Chandler, 1899, 1900
- Fred D. McGregor, 1901, 1902; SN
- Charles A. Bodwell, 1903, 1904
- Benjamin B. Gilman, 1905, 1906
- Sam A. McGregor, 1907, 1908
- W. Eugene Ellis, 1909, 1910
- Irving L. Keith, 1911, 1912
- Fredrick H. Tilton, 1913, 1914
- Matthew J. Gray, 1915, 1916
- Ralph N. Davis, 1917, 1918
- Urban W. Leavitt, 1919, 1920
- Ira C. Titcomb, 1921, 1922
- Tom W. Mitchell, 1923, 1924
- Edwin F. Parker, 1925, 1926
- Bennett McGregor, 1927, 1928
- Morton R. Milner, 1929, 1930
- John Bradford Davis, 1931, 1932; N
- Robert H. Sawyer, 1933, 1934
- Warren B. Allen, 1935
- Arthur B. Walker, 1936, 1937
- Charles F. Johnson, 1938, 1939
- Leslie J. Wood, 1940
- Erving H. Malcolm, 1941; N
- F. James Caswell, 1942, 1943
- Herbert S. Brasseur, 1944, 1945
- L. Donald Parshley, 1946, 1947
- Frederick M. Faulkner, 1948; SN
- Benjamin L. Chase, 1949
- L. Frank Coles, 1950
- G. Elbert Hall, 1951
- Albert H. Seay, 1952
- Owen F. Riley, 1953
- Thomas J. Luby, Jr., 1954; N
- James M. McLeod, Jr., 1955
- Moses S. Klien, 1956
- William L. Eldridge, 1957
- A. Johnson Porst, 1958
- Chesley T. Bixby, 1959
- Donald P. Stone, 1960
- John M. Morey, 1961
- Norman A. Field, 1962
- George H. Harrison, 1963; N
- Christopher Cottis, 1964
- Robert T. Wilson, 1965
- Robert D. Forsyth, Jr., 1966
- John H. Scholl, Jr., 1967, 1968
- Joseph C. Langlois, 1969
- Robert J. Davis, 1970
- Narses DerGarabedian, 1971
- Raymond S. Seaver, 1972
- Robert C. Faulkner, 1973
- Earle F. Atwood, 1974
- Leon J. Auclair, 1975
- James H. Hastings, 1976, 1980; N
- Edwar C. Danielson, 1977
- Richard Driscoll, 1978, 1979
- Lawrence W. Walker, Sr., 1981, 2000
- Edward P. DerGarabedian, 1982
- Richard Dupre, 1983
- Duncan C. Farmer, 1984
- Mark E. Conway, 1985
- John W. Morgan, 1986, 1989
- Lee Roy Campbell, 1987
- Alan M. Viens, 1988, 2004
- Frank G. Graichen, Jr., 1990
- Richard E. Patterson, 1991
- James E. Bradley, 1992
- Daniel F. Verrington, 1993
- John A. Torrisi, 1994, 1995
- P. David Ryll, 1996
- James Antonopoulos, 1997; DDGM
- Theodore W. Bitomski, 1998
- Francis T. Parker, 1999
- Lawrence W. Walker, Jr., 2000
- David E. Potter, 2001
- Richard Vinci, 2002
- J. Charles Rutledge, 2003; N
- Terrence E. DeGrenier, 2006
- Willard C. Walker, Jr., 2007, 2016
- Justin F. Prescott, 2008
- Richard S. MacInnis, 2009
- Lawrence W. Walker, Jr., 2010
- Keith Zibolis, 2011
- Michael J. Walker, 2012
- Edward P. Felker, 2013
- Winston K. T. Wong, 2014
- Scott A. Reid, 2015
- Kevin M. Moore, 2016
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1866 (Dame; Constitution of Lodge and installation)
- 1873 (Nickerson; Corner-stone laying; Special Communication)
- 1879 (Welch)
- 1906 (Blake)
- 1910 (Flanders; "Masonic Lecture by Professor Cross")
- 1911 (Flanders)
- 1919 (L. Abbott; 2 visits, including Tasker Monument dedication, Special Communication)
- 1941 (Schaefer; 75th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1965 (Osgood)
- 1966 (Booth; Centenary; Special Communication)
- 1967 (Booth; reception for Junior Grand Warden Thomas J. Luby, Jr.)
- 1972 (Vose; Blood donor night)
- 1989 (Ames)
- 1991 (Darling; 125th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 2015 (Waugh; Consolidation; Special Communication)
- 1941 (75th Anniversary History, 1941-3; see below)
- 1966 (Centenary History, 1966-5; see below)
- 1991 (125th Anniversary History, 1991-57; see below)
75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, JANUARY 1941
From Proceedings, Page 1941-3:
By Bro. Herman W. Dow
Three score and fifteen years ago, Brethren from Merrimack Lodge, A.F.& A.M., brought forth a new Lodge in this city, conceived in progress, and dedicated to the Holy Saints John. Today, we are in the midst of discord and strife over all the world, which is testing whether this Lodge, or any Lodge, so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. May we take renewed courage from the good works of our honored dead, and rededicate ourselves to the duties now lying before us. Let us highly resolve that our institution of Freemasonry which supports the proposition of a government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
It has ever been an American custom to commemorate, or celebrate, events of the past on appropriate occasions, the more to keep alive the spirit, the memory and the lesson of those events.
Even indifferent Christians are filled with Peace and Good Will at Christmas-tide, and at Easter contemplate the Risen Christ. Tardy sons return to the old folks at home for family reunion at Thanksgiving. On the Fourth of July, the nation rejoices over its freedom and gives heed to our immortal forefathers, who suffered that we might have freedom. On Memorial Day, we decorate the graves of those who died that our land might be one united nation. On the eleventh of November we pay tribute to the brave men who struggled to make the world safe for Democracy and to end all wars. Such commemorations are fraught with good and serve a noble purpose. Agreeably to this custom, it has pleased Saggahew Lodge to celebrate the Seventy-fifth Anniversary of its institution.
"Not with the roar of stirring drums, nor the trumpet that sings of fame" comes the story of Saggahew Lodge. The events of our history are simple. We cannot boast, as older Lodges may, of Washington visiting our Lodge, or of some of our early members sitting in Lodge when Lafayette was present. Nor can we claim that some of our members were Minute Men in the Revolution, nor that they fought at Bunker Hill. We cannot relate, as can Saint Andrew's Lodge of Boston, the story of the Boston Tea Party — how that Lodge closed its meeting and its members went to the Green Dragon Tavern where, disguising themselves as Indians, they repaired to a British ship, docked in the harbor, ladened with tea, and dumped the tea into Boston Harbor. Nor can we say our members responded to the alarm given by Paul Revere in his midnight ride. Nor yet may we say that Saggahew men marched away in Hale's Guards in response to Lincoln's call in the War of the States.
No, the date of its inception precluded the possibility of a Saggahew man being a Colonial patriot, or even a Civil War hero, but among the first to join Saggahew was a Union soldier, who had received his degrees in the army, Edward G. Frothingham. But we may say that we cannot be Masons in spirit and in truth except we love our Creator, are obedient to the laws of our country and just in our dealings with our fellow men. And in these virtues Saggahew Lodge is one hundred per cent Masonic.
Now for the high lights in Saggahew's life. Twenty members of Merrimack Lodge, A.F.& A.M., met in the Armory of Haverhill Encampment (as the Commandery was called in those days) for the purpose of instituting a new Lodge of Masons in Haverhill. A Petition was sent to Merrimack Lodge to permit withdrawals for this purpose. The document was really a gem and the closing sentence is here quoted: "The two bodies can live and labor side by side, sharing each others facilities and helping to bear each others burdens and cultivating that feeling of Brotherhood, which in the language of our beloved manual, knows no contention, or only that noble Contention or rather Emulation of which best can work and which best agree.
Merrimack Lodge granted the Petition and the Grand Lodge issued a Dispensation. The committee in charge of the preliminary work was headed by James E. Gale as Chairman and R. Stuart Chase, Secretary. Six names were submitted for a name for the new Lodge — Rufus Longley, Cascadnac, Kenoza, Oriental, Saggahew and Mount Serbal. After considerable discussion the name "Saggahew" was chosen, that being the name of one of the two Indian chiefs who sold the land comprising the village of Pentucket to the early settlers. And now with a name, a Dispensation, elective officers chosen, a meeting night selected and all arrangements made, Saggahew Lodge held its first Stated Communication on Dec. 19, 1864. There were present:
- James E. Gale, W. M.
- Daniel Fitts, S. W.
- C. W. Chase, J. W.
- E. A. Bradley, S. D.
- A. Whittier, J. D.
- G. S. Chase, Sec.
- A. Hodgkins
- A. W. Cram
- W. A. Brooks
- E. M. Littlefield
- Geo. Poor
- F. S. Swan
- J. H. Carleton
- C. P. Messer
- J. P. Richardson
- C. Smith
- C. R. Evans
- G. H. Hoyt
- J. R. Nichols
- D. A. Sleeper
* J. F. West
The Worshipful Master read a Dispensation from the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts empowering Saggahew Lodge to work. He also read the list of officers appointed by him — A. W. Cram, S. S., E. M. Littlefield, J. S., G. H. Hoyt, Marshal, O. S. Hubbard, Chorister, and A. G. Bradley, Tyler.
Among the applications for membership were: Nathan S. Kimball, Leather Manufacturer, and the second Worshipful Master of Saggahew Lodge; Leonard H. Flanders, Dry Goods Merchant; James How and Charles B. Emerson, Druggists; Charles W. Sawyer, Carriage Maker; and Edward G. Frothingham, a veteran of the Civil War.
On the afternoon of the 12th of January, 1866, just 75 years ago this month, the officers of Saggahew Lodge were installed by Most Worshipful Charles C. Dame, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts and officers of the Grand Lodge. It was a gala day for the officers and Brethren of Saggahew and celebrated with feasting, speaking, music and song. On that day the Charter was presented by the Most Worshipful Grand Master. No longer was it a fledgling, but a bird with full plumage, capable of doing its own soaring. Its joyful notes filled the air. After the Lodge ceremonies a sumptuous banquet was held at the Old Eagle House, followed by an entertainment and dance in the hall in the evening. Saggahew Lodge had a special guest that day who enjoyed the festivities, Worshipful Moses Wingate, Past Master of Merrimack Lodge, then ninety-six years young. Among songs that were sung during the entertainment, was an original poem written by Mrs. David B. Tenney and set to music by her husband, David B. Tenney, a Past Master of Merrimack Lodge. A copy of this song is laid up with the records of the Lodge and is here quoted:
'Twas a gallant ship on a trial trip
That left our shore one day.
And many a prayer for that noble band
Went with them on their way.
We had no fear for their safe return
Though wind and tide should fail
For tried and true was their working crew
And their Master was a Gale.
Chorus — We'll drink success to that gallant craft
With her free and accepted crew
Long may they sail with their Master Gale
In the good ship 'Saggahew.'
There was Randall, Whittier and Poor and Hoyt,
Brooks, Bradley, Wheeler and West.
And Carleton and Nichols, Smith, Messer and Fitts,
And Sleeper came with the rest.
There was Hubbard and Evans and Frank C. Swan,
And of Chases not a few,
'Twas a gallant band that left the land
In the good ship 'Saggahew.'
Chorus — repeated
Again today that noble craft
Has parted from the shore,
With Square and Compasses on her flag,
And her deck the Checkered Floor.
May Heaven speed them on their way
May their skies be always blue
And choicest blessings rest upon
The good ship 'Saggahew.'
The absence of the names of A. W. Cram, H. S. Littlefield, A. Hodgkins, and J. P. Richardson in the song, though present at the first Stated Communication, was apparently due to the inability of the writer to conveniently weave them into the verses.
Most Worshipful Charles C. Dame installed James E. Gale as Worshipful Master and Brother Daniel Fitts as Senior Warden. The other officers, with a few changes, were the same as had served the previous year. They were a fine coterie of men, a credit to any organization. Daniel Fitts, the Senior Warden, was a stately man, whose genial manners and kindly ways would grace any gathering. Worshipful James E. Gale, the first Master, was cashier of the Haverhill National Bank when he presided over the Lodge and in 1880 became the bank's president, holding this position until his death in 1888. He was appointed a District Deputy Grand Master in 1870. His home was on the westerly corner of Summer Street and Highland Avenue. At the death of Past Master Gale, Reverend Brother Thomas E. St. John delivered a fitting eulogy, which we quote in its entirety:
"In the history of Saggahew Lodge no name occupies a more honored place than that of Wor. Bro. James E. Gale. Its first Worshipful Master, its constant and devoted friend, its judicious and faithful adviser, he well deserves our most grateful remembrance and sincerest respect.
"His knowledge of the Craft was clear and profound; his faith in its cardinal principles unwavering and true, his love for its ritual, hearty and unfeigned. We mourn his untimely death with deep and manly sorrow, yet in thinking of him our hearts grow warm and we rejoice that such a man has lived and left behind him a record so worthy and a name so true. His virtues are on perpetual record for they are woven into the life work of Saggahew Lodge. His kindly forethought has thrown a cheerful light over the hours of sickness, pain and death, and will give a ray of gladness to many a brother's heart, when most it needs the touch of human sympathy and fraternal love.
"His life among us was one of manly integrity and Masonic worth, and now that he has passed beyond our earthly vision his work will not cease, nor will his memory fade away. Though dead, he lives; though lost to sight, his genial smile looks down upon us from beyond the borders of the Silent Land.
"May his example teach us that he most truly leads who most willingly serves his fellow men. To such belong the Grand Master's welcome — 'Well done, good and faithful servant, enter thou into the joys of thy Lord.' "
The second Worshipful Master was Nathan S. Kimball, a man of the highest integrity, who later became Mayor of the City. His business was that of manufacturing leather, but outside of that, his chief interest was the progress of Masonry and Saggahew Lodge. The Lodge was honored by his appointment as District Deputy Grand Master in 1880.
On June 24, 1873, the corner-stone of this Masonic Temple was laid with appropriate ceremonies. A parade of Master Masons, with the Haverhill Commandery Knights Templar as escort, a repast, a reception and the corner-stone-laying exercises made up the order of the day. The Most Worshipful Grand Master, Sereno D. Nickerson and suite of Grand Lodge officers were present. After the corner-stone was placed in position, the Grand Master shared the honor of "spreading the cement" with the presiding officers of the Haverhill Masonic bodies and presented the trowel to Merrimack Lodge and the gavel to Saggahew Lodge. Both had been used in the ceremonies. Among other articles deposited in the corner-stone were rolls containing the names of the officers of the various Masonic bodies. What a joyful day it must have been for Worshipful Arvida M. Vance, Master of Saggahew Lodge. To share in this important ceremony, to receive the gavel in behalf of his Lodge, and to have his name as Master on the list of officers of the Lodge on the roll deposited, must have compensated for his loyal efforts in behalf of his Lodge.
He was followed by Worshipful Henry Cummings, who was Principal of the School Street School. A master of the three R's, he also became Master of the Temple for the glory of Saggahew.
Next was Worshipful George S. Yeaton, a gentleman, a quiet but willing worker, whose efforts kept the standard high in Saggahew.
Worshipful Oscar S. Williams was also a teacher and principal of the Winter Street School. His forceful nature still kept aloft the principles and the honor of the Lodge.
Then came Worshipful John M. Hill, the Grand Old Man of Saggahew. He is our oldest living Past Master. We have had a message of affection from him tonight, and though far away, his interest still remains in the Lodge over which he so ably presided.
Next came J. Otis Wardwell, a man of determination and tenacity, the vigor that distinguished him in the Lodge abided with him ever. In early life he served as a member of the Legislature, later devoting his entire time to the practice of law in Boston, where he built up a large clientele, but always maintaining an active interest in the affairs of state and nation.
On December 5, 1889, Saggahew Lodge observed its Twenty-fifth Anniversary. The occasion was in charge of a committee composed of Rt. Worshipful Nathan S. Kimball, Worshipful John M. Hill and Worshipful J. Otis Wardwell. It was a bitter cold night, but seventy brave hearts withstood the frigid air and attended. The exercises were graced by the presence of representatives from the Grand Lodge. The Worshipful Master at the time of this celebration was Edward A. Fitts. He was one who loved Masonry in all its branches. Blue Lodge, Chapter, Council and Commandery, all held his interest. The Lodge of Perfection, Princes of Jerusalem, Rose Croix and Consistory meant much to him. His diligence and eminence carried him to the 33rd and last degree of the Scottish Rite. He received many honors in Masonry and none merited them more than he. He was the son of Daniel Fitts, first Senior Warden of this Lodge.
The next in order was Worshipful Edwin W. Andrews, a dentist by profession. His trained mind fitted him for the duties of Master of the Lodge. He was a good officer.
Worshipful Harvey R. Eastman was the next Master of Saggahew. He was a wholesale produce dealer. He conducted the Lodge in a business-like way and was a credit to himself and an asset to the Lodge.
Worshipful Charles P. Sumner followed and continued conducting the Lodge in a business-like manner. His outstanding work as an officer won him the appointment to the office of District Deputy Grand Master in 1900. By the provisions of his will he evidenced his regard for the Lodge by bequeathing a liberal sum, the income to be used for the charity work of the Lodge.
Worshipful Joseph A. Dalrymple was the next Master of Saggahew Lodge. A man of highest character, a gentleman in all the word implies, he was respected and honored by all who knew him.
Next to follow was Worshipful Charles W. Chandler. His brusque manner did not, for an instant, obscure his kind and friendly nature. His ritual work was of a high order and he expected his officers to be proficient in all their work.
Next came Worshipful Fred D. McGregor, who later became Mayor of Haverhill. His name was recommended to Saggahew bv Thomas Burnham, a former Mayor of Haverhill. To enumerate this Past Master's virtues and deeds would be like carrying coals to Newcastle. All who knew him loved him. A man well skilled in Masonry, he was elevated to the 33rd degree. He interested himself in every worthy project in the City and at the time of his death was recognized as Haverhill's leading citizen.
Worshipful Benjamin B. Gilman was of a sunny disposition and his friendliness made him a host of friends. He gave much of his time and attention to Masonry, and especially to Saggahew Lodge. He was honored with the office of District Deputy Grand Master, and the 33rd degree was conferred upon him in recognition of his efforts in behalf of Masonry.
Worshipful Sam A. McGregor, a brother of Right Worshipful Fred D. McGregor, like his brother, gave much of his time to Masonry in all its branches. Ever ready to assist wherever needed, he endeared himself to everyone. He too was a 33rd degree Mason.
Worshipful W. Eugene Ellis was decorous but friendly. Under his gavel business was done with promptness and despatch. His friends were legion, his enemies, few, if any.
On December 13, 1915, the Fiftieth Anniversary of Saggahew was held in Elks' Hall, corner of Summer and Newcomb Streets. At that time, the Masonic Temple was under extensive repairs, as the result of a fire, and while it was being rebuilt, Saggahew held its" meetings in this hall. Worshipful Matthew J. Gray presided at the Fiftieth Anniversary exercises. A reception was given to Brother Oliver Hubbard, one of the four living charter members of the Lodge. The other three charter members, Brother Charles W. Chase, Brother R. Stuart Chase and Brother David M. Kelly were not able to attend. Brother Hubbard read the same poem that was set to music and sung fifty years ago.
On December 4, 1916, a joint meeting of Merrimack and Saggahew Lodge was held for the purpose of dedicating the Masonic Temple, which had been rebuilt. Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, aided by Officers of Grand Lodge, performed the service according to ancient form. The Grand Master presented Bros. Edward G. Frothingham and Oliver S. Hubbard with Henry Price medals, for meritorious service to Masonry for fifty years. Brothers Stover and Smith of Merrimack Lodge, were also presented with these medals.
On November 5, 1919, Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott and members of the Grand Lodge visited Haverhill to dedicate the Masonic Monument in Elmwood Cemetery, Bradford. Worshipful Evelyn L. Durkee was Master of Merrimack, and Worshipful Urban W. Leavitt, Master of Saggahew. Twelve hundred Masons marched from the Temple to the cemetery, escorted by Aleppo Temple Band and Patrol, and Sir Knights of Haverhill Commandery No. 14, Knights Templar. The monument was the gift of Augusta H. Tasker, widow of Brother W. Orin Tasker, and given in memory of her husband.
During the years 1919 and 1920, with Worshipful Urban W. Leavitt as Master, our Lodge raised its greatest number of candidates — 82.
Worshipful Ira C, Titcomb, Master in 1921-22, was a conscientious and diligent worker for Saggahew. He was a member of all the other Masonic bodies, and past presiding officer in many. He was always ready to serve his Lodge in any capacity.
Worshipful Tom W. Mitchell was a successful dry goods merchant, always ready to give of his time, talents and money in behalf of Saggahew Lodge. He was called home in the prime of life.
Worshipful Morton R. Milne was an active and tireless worker for Saggahew. His enthusiasm was inspiring and his untimely death was mourned by many.
Saggahew's recent history would not be complete unless mention is made of the faithful service of Brother George N. Whiting as Secretary for nearly thirty years and as Lecturer for many years. Brother Whiting's beautiful penmanship used in the records of the Lodge brought the highest commendation from officers of Grand Lodge. Brother Whiting was Chief of tie Haverhill Fire Department for many years. We also record the splendid service of Brother Elmer E. Whipple, who served as Tyler for nearly twenty-three years and who also served many years as Lecturer. The records of these Brethren remain :n perpetual record as examples of loyalty and faithfulness.
While we have previously mentioned the fact that Worshipful Charles P. Sumner, by the provisions of his will, generously added to the Charity Funds of the Lodge, we wish also to state that Brother Lamont Chick and Brother William E. Bixby also made provision in their respective wills to materially increase the permanent funds of the Lodge, the income of which is available for charity purposes. These funds have through the years been of great assistance to the officers in bringing relief and help to worthy Brethren, their widows and orphans, and illustrate the practical application of our worthy Masonic tenets.
Would that time permitted to honor every officer and member who has brought honor and distinction to the Lodge. But time and space are uncompromising and we must pass by "many a worthy brother and fellow" unheralded and unsung. We must content ourselves with mentioning only a few. One of Haverhill's two most notable sons was Saggahew's most famous member, William H. Moody. Brother Moody's career was remarkable. From the office of District Attorney of Essex County, he rose to Congressman, then to Secretary of the Navy, then Attorney General, and finally to Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
Saggahew has had a glorious and useful past. What of the present?
In the business and professional life of Haverhill, Saggahew is well represented. Members of our body have been active in public life. We note that two of the three living former Mayors are members of Saggahew Lodge — Brother William D. McFee and Brother George E. Dalrymple, son of the late Worshipful Joseph D. Dalrymple. Brother Edward G. Frothingham, before mentioned, was a member of the State Senate and Governor's Council. Brother Henry G. Wells was President of the State Senate and a Commissioner of Public Utilities and is now a leading citizen of our city.
We have a number of Past Masters, worthy and well qualified to aid in carrying on. To support a Temple we must have three pillars, representing Wisdom, Strength and Beauty. We have them.
His profound interest in Masonry, his study of its teachings, together with his years of experience and practice of the art, well qualify Worshipful Charles A. Bodwell to be the pillar of Wisdom.
Because of his work as District Deputy Grand Master, his long service in both branches of the General Court of Massachusetts, and his activities in civic affairs, Right Worshipful J. Bradford Davis gained great power and strength. He may well represent the pillar of Strength.
Because of his excellent voice, and perfect oratory, which has beautified and adorned the work of the Lodge, Worshipful Frederick H. Tilton may well be described as the pillar of Beauty.
And we have Worshipful Matthew J. Gray. The length of his cable tow has never been ascertained. He will travel hundreds of miles should his presence be needed in Saggahew Lodge.
Worshipful Bennett McGregor, son of the late Right Worshipful Fred D. McGregor and nephew of the late Worshipful Sam A. McGregor, has a heritage that would hold him to the work, but he needs it not. In his own right he loves Saggahew, and is ever willing to serve.
Worshipful Arthur B. Walker is still in the harness. He is a proficient and painstaking lecturer. Nothing can keep him from his labors for Saggahew but his keen sense of loyalty to the Fire Department of this city, which he has faithfully served as Captain and Deputy Chief.
Worshipful Leslie J. Wood is Superintendent of the Temple. His untiring efforts have won for him the gratitude of all.
In addition to these Past Masters we have Worshipful Irving L. Keith, Worshipful Ralph N. Davis, Worshipful Urban W. Leavitt, Worshipful Edwin F. Parker, Worshipful Robert H. Sawyer, Worshipful Warren B. Allen and Worshipful Charlton F. Johnson. These are all men of high standing. As Masons they have records clean and inspiring. With such as these to aid and guide, Saggahew Lodge is fortunate indeed.
We would be ungrateful not to mention at this time the happy relations which have always existed between Merrimack and Saggahew Lodges. Even while Saggahew Lodge was in the embryonic state Merrimack Lodge was helpful. Loans of paraphernalia were made and every kindness shown. All through rise rears, good will has prevailed.
We are now in turbulent times. What will be the future of Saagahew, of Masonry, of religion, of liberty and of democracy? What can we do about it? Let us quote two excerpts from the - speech of Most Worshipful Frederick W. Hamilton delivered at the Seventy-fifth Anniversary of Belmont Lodge March 2, 1939. Almost two years later these words are more pertinent than ever. I quote:
"Something has been said tonight of the difficult times through which we are passing. The whole world, our own country included, is in turmoil and confusion. . . .
"What can we Masons do about it? Let me say at once, that as an organization, we can do nothing about it. As individuals we can do much. . . . These things, my Brethren, we can do. We can keep our heads. We can keep our courage. We can keep our faith. We can be our own best selves. This I conceive to be our task as Masons in a troubled world."
Most Worshipful Frederick W. Hamilton has passed away since delivering this speech, but his advice we must heed and follow. Let us keep our heads, our courage and our faith. Let us be our own best selves. Then we will know that we have done right — may trust in God and the Right, and, with the poet say:
"Since Right is right and Wrong is wrong,
And Right the day must win,
To doubt would be disloyalty,
To falter would be sin."
CENTENARY HISTORY, JANUARY 1966
From Proceedings, Page 1966-5:
By Worshipful Charlton F. Johnson.
Haverhill of the 1860s is described as "a flourishing town. It consisted of about 1100 buildings, mostly handsome, some elegant. A costly bridge, 800 feet long, connected this town with Bradford. There were ninety-eight shoe manufactures and two boot factories, mostly all on Merrimack Street." "The shoes were mostly sold in the south, and the buyers paid with notes due in eight months. Thus when the south seceded at the start of the Civil War, the notes were not good, and it was feared that the manufacturers were ruined. However, they kept on producing and went into army shoes, and soon were more prosperous than ever."
The prosperity of the city, caused by the demand for labor at the shoe factories and the woolen mill, brought a great press of candidates to Merrimack Lodge. In 1861 there had been but four candidates, while in 1864 there were twenty-nine. As each candidate was worked alone in the first and third degrees, Merrimack Lodge had nearly forty communications in 1864. Members and officers alike found this fatiguing, and talk of a new lodge gained favor among the Craft.
"Before the stated meeting of December 7, 1864, Bro. James E. Gale called on the Master of Merrimack Lodge, and stated that some twenty or thirty members wished to form a new lodge, if it could be done without any feeling of opposition of even a small minority of the members, and asked to have a notice of the intended application given in the call for the next meeting. Notice was accordingly given, and Bro. Gale presented a petition for the consent of the lodge to establish another lodge in Haverhill, signed by himself and eleven others. Bro. Gale made a few remarks, explaining the reasons for the step, and expressing the kindest feelings towards the lodge. The manly and Masonic spirit exhibited by Bro. Gale and his associates at once disarmed all feeling of opposition (if any had existed), and after a few well-chosen words from Bro. Phineas E. Davis, on motion of Bro. John Edwards, it was voted unanimously to grant their request. It was also voted to tender them the use of the regalia, jewels and furniture for a year." And it may be said here that the relation between the two lodges has ever been most harmonious, save "that noble contention or rather emulation of who best can work and best agree."
In a few days a dispensation was granted to Saggahew Lodge, and on January 12, 1866 the lodge was duly constituted under the following charter:
TO ALL THE FRATERNITY TO WHOM THESE PRESENTS SHALL COME: THE MOST WORSHIPFUL GRAND LODGE of the Most Ancient and Honorable Fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts sends greeting:
Whereas, a Petition has been presented to us by James E. Gale, J. B. Richardson, George Poor, James F. West, Danl. Fitts, John N. Sleeper, Alvah Whittier, Calvin Smith, 0. S. Hubbard, A. S. Hodgkins, C. P. Messer, E. B. Littlefield, R. Stuart Chase, D. A. Sleeper, Chas. R. Evans, Frank C. Swan, Jas. R. Nichols, Geo. H. Hoyt, John P. Randall, Jas. H. Carleton, E. A. Bradley, Wm. A. Brooks, Chas. W. Chase, George S. Chase, Allison Wheeler, E. M. Littlefield, and Alonzo W. Cram, all Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, praying that they, with all others who shall hereafter join them, may be Erected and Constituted into a regular Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, which Petition appearing to us as tending to the advancement of Masonry and the good of the Craft;
Know Ye Therefore, that we, the Grand Lodge aforesaid, reposing special trust and confidence in the Prudence and Fidelity of our Brethren above named, have constituted and appointed, and by these PRESENTS do constitute and appoint them, the said Brethren, a regular lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, under the title and designation of
hereby giving and granting unto them, and their successors, full power and authority to convene Masons within the town of Haverhill in the County of Essex and Commonwealth aforesaid; to RECEIVE and ENTER Apprentices, PASS Fellow Crafts, and RAISE Master Masons, upon the payment of such compensation for the same, as may be determined by the Grand Lodge: also to make a choice annually, of a Master, Wardens and other Office Bearers; to receive and collect FUNDS, for the relief of poor and distressed Brethren, their Widows or Orphans; and in general to transact all matters relating to Masonry, which to them may appear to be for the good of the Craft, according to the ancient usages and customs of Masons.
And we do hereby require the said Constituted Brethren to attend the Grand Lodge at its quarterly and other Communications by their Master and Wardens, or by Proxy, regularly appointed, Also to keep a fair and correct Record of all their Proceedings. And we do enjoin upon our Brethren of the said Lodge, that they be punctual in the Annual Payment of such sums as may be assessed for the support of the Grand Lodge; that they behave themselves respectfully and obediently to their superiors in office; and in all other respects conduct themselves as good Masons.
And we do hereby declare the Precedence of the said Lodge in the Grand Lodge and elsewhere, to commence from the sixteenth day of December, A.D. 1864, A.L. 5864.
In Testimony whereof, we, the Grand Master and Grand Wardens by virtue of the Power and Authority to us committed, hereunto set our Hands, and caused the Seal of our Grand Lodge to be affixed, at Boston, the Thirteenth day of December, Anno Domini, One Thousand Eight Hundred and sixty-five, Anno Lucis, Five Thousand Eight Hundred and sixty-five.
By order of the Grand Lodge
Attest s/ Chas. W. Moore, Grand Secretary
s/ William Parkman, Grand Master
s/ Wendell T. Davis, Sr. Grand Warden s/ Solon O. Thornton, Jr. Grand Warden
Among the twenty-seven original and charter members of Saggahew, all of whom demitted from Merrimack, were a good proportion of younger men. To mention some of the older men, Carlos P. Messer had been a Colonel in the Civil War; James H. Carleton was a public spirited citizen, who later purchased Whittier Birthplace and presented it to the Whittier trustees; the Chases and Daniel Fitts were men of substance; James R. Nichols was a doctor and chemist who later would build Winnekenni Castle as a summer home. But the natural leader was James E. Gale, who for many years was cashier at Haverhill National Bank. He was deeply drawn to Masonry, and his Masonic career included:
- Marshal of Merrimack Lodge, 1862-1863
- Excellent High Priest of Pentucket Chapter, 1862-1863
- Master of Saggahew Lodge, 1864-1867
- Commander of Haverhill Commandery, 1868-1870
- District Deputy Grand Master, 1870-1871
- Chorister of Saggahew Lodge, 1869 and 1872-1874
The eighteenth special communication of Saggahew Lodge was held on the afternoon of January 12, 1866, with M. W. Charles C. Dame, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts and ten other Grand Lodge officers present, when, with appropriate ceremonies, the new charter of the lodge was presented, and the Master and Wardens installed. This was indeed a gala occasion for our founding fathers, and they proudly celebrated with a levee. The regular exercise of the afternoon being accomplished, the lodge repaired to the Eagle House, accompanied by the Grand Lodge officers, a group to the number in all of forty-five, where a bountiful dinner was spread for them by Col. Wm. Brown, landlord of the "Eagle." It was indeed a sumptuous repast, the main dish being a choice of Roast Turkey, Chicken, Canvas-back Duck, Mongrel Goose, or Partridges Larded. It was here that the song "The Good Ship Saggahew" was sung, written for the occasion by Mrs. D. B. Tenney. (The original manuscript, in suitable frame, was presented to the lodge by Bro. Oliver S. Hubbard on the 50th Anniversary in 1915). A little after seven, the dinner party broke up to re-assemble with the ladies half an hour later in the Hall, "where with singing, music, the ripple of sweet voices and merry dance, the evening glided away."
It may be remarked that our brethren were greatly pleased to have at their Constitution and Installation Moses Wingate, then in his 97th year. Wingate was Master of Merrimack Lodge in 1813-1814, and Saggahew made him an Honorary Member at its next meeting.
In December of 1867, James E. Gale ended his term as Master of Saggahew Lodge. It was then the custom for the Master to give an account of his stewardship at the close of his term, and the talk given by Gale so impressed the members that they voted it to be entered on the records, where it occupies twenty-two pages, and gives us a living picture of the early lodge, its hopes and its problems.
Gale was followed by Wor. Nathan S. Kimball, a leather dealer and politician, who was many times elected to city and state offices. These men with Wor. George S. Yeaton attended meetings regularly and served on various committees and were influential in Saggahew for many years. Most early masters of Saggahew were good ritualists and the lodge invariably drew favorable comment on the work from visiting deputies.
In 1856, Merrimack Lodge had contracted with Alpheus Currier for the use of his new hall on Fleet Street. In 1858 Pentucket Chapter was established, in 1863 the Commandery, in 1865 Saggahew and in 1866 the Council. Masonry was expanding and developing and in December of our dispensatory Lodge. R. W. James E. Gale was the installing officer. Selected pieces were sung by Mrs. James F. West and the North Church choir, with the audience joining in singing the Old Hundredth Psalm. A pleasant evening was had by all.
There is extant an altar Bible, given the lodge at its inception by wives of charter members. A beautiful set of working tools consisting of square, compasses and trowel of silver was presented the lodge by six of its charter members in 1865. Wor. Bro. George Wingate Chase, a distinguished member of Merrimack Lodge, presented Saggahew with a portrait of Thomas S. Webb in 1865. Webb was the author of "The Freemason's Monitor," a popular publication of its day, and also founder of the American system of capitular and encampment masonry. A year later, Chase presented the lodge with a gavel made from wood formerly part of the staircase of the old John Hancock house of Boston. In 1874, Rev. R. H. Seeley, traveling in Palestine, sent the lodge a letter outlining the construction of King Solomon's Temple, and with it a piece of the rock from the foundation with a sprig of acacia. It was customary for the stewards to make an annual report on the presence and condition of the furniture and furnishings belonging to the lodge. This report continued until the 1890s, although it was not at that time entered on the records.
A personal photograph was a very recent miracle of the time, and the lodge attempted to keep a photograph album of its members. In his final address, Wor. Gale says the album contained eighty-one pictures with ten wanting. In 1871, P. M. Nathan S. Kimball presented to the lodge a beautiful album; and in 1881, W. M. Oscar S. Williams urged each brother to present his photograph to be placed in the album for future reference.
The records of the lodge continuously show how much music has been loved. The Chorister was a regular officer until 1881, when presumably an organ was obtained, as the office was changed to "Organist" in that year; and as soon as 1883 funds year, Daniel Fitts was chosen a committee to confer with similar committees of other Masonic bodies about purchasing the building. This was accomplished without delay; however, before long there was a growing dissatisfaction with the situation and surroundings of the hall, which was "literally surrounded by stables, liquor saloons and other objectionable features." Early in 1872 measures were taken which resulted in the purchase of the lot, corner Merrimack and How Streets.
A special meeting was held on June 24, 1873 for the dual purpose of celebrating St. John's Day and laying the cornerstone of the new Masonic Temple. M. W. Sereno D. Nickerson and the Grand Lodge officers arrived at 9.30 A.M. and were escorted to the Hall for a second breakfast. Then a considerable procession from the two lodges and Haverhill Commandery marched through the city, ending at the new lot. A box deposited under the cornerstone contains copies of the constitutions of the Grand Lodge, Chapter, Council, and Commandery for 1872; by-laws of Merrimack Lodge, Saggahew Lodge, Pentucket Chapter, Haverhill Council and Haverhill Commandery, and other articles and papers of Masonic and civic interest. After the cornerstone was laid in accordance with the established usages of our ancient order, a meal was served at the grove of Bro. J. R. Nichols at Kenoza Lake, after which the committee and guests proceeded to the Lake House, 'where many brethren and ladies were assembled, and where various amusements were provided until chowder was served at 5 o'clock. "The committee on arrangements had striven to make this occasion one which they believe every person thoroughly enjoyed, and will be remembered at every return of the anniversary."
The 102nd Stated Communication on February 15, 187S was the first meeting of Saggahew Lodge held in the new Masonic Temple, and it was held in the small room.
The first public installation of officers of Saggahew was held in May of 1875, in celebration of the Tenth Anniversary of the Lodge. R. W. James E. Gale was the installing officer. Selected pieces were sung by Mrs. James F. West and the North Church choir, with the audience joining in singing the Old Hundredth Psalm. A pleasant evening was had by all.
There is extant an altar Bible, given the lodge at its inception by wives of charter members. A beautiful set of working tools consisting of square, compasses and trowel of silver was presented the lodge by six of its charter members in 1865. Wor. Bro. George Wingate Chase, a distinguished member of Merrimack Lodge, presented Saggahew with a portrait of Thomas S. Webb in 1865. Webb was the author of The Freemason's Monitor, a popular publication of its day, and also founder of the American system of capitular and encampment masonry. A year later, Chase presented the lodge with a gavel made from wood formerly part of the staircase of the old John Hancock house of Boston. In 1874, Rev. R. H. Seeley, traveling in Palestine, sent the lodge a letter outlining the construction of King Solomon's Temple, and with it a piece of the rock from the foundation with a sprig of acacia.
It was customary for the stewards to make an annual report on the presence and condition of the furniture and furnishings belonging to the lodge. This report continued until the 1890s, although it was not at that time entered on the records.
A personal photograph was a very recent miracle of the time, and the lodge attempted to keep a photograph album of its members. In his final address, Wor. Gale says the album contained eighty-one pictures with ten wanting. In 1871, P. M. Nathan S. Kimball presented to the lodge a beautiful album; and in 1881, W. M. Oscar S. Williams urged each brother to present his photograph to be placed in the album for future reference.
The records of the lodge continuously show how much music has been loved. The Chorister was a regular officer until 1881, when presumably an organ was obtained, as the office was changed to '"Organist" in that year; and as soon as 1883 funds were raised by subscription for a new organ, and we read of the September meeting of that year: "Closed in form at 8:05 P.M. after which the brethren present were favored with selections on the new organ by R. W. Bro. Jas. Gale." Quartettes were regularly secured for special occasions and sometimes soloists.
Another noticeable characteristic of the early Masons was their great pleasure in the Ladies' Nights. These were at least an annual affair, often with banquets served at 10 P.M., and invariably with dancing in the banquet hall. Then, too, there were picnics at the Kenoza Lake House, and even an excursion down river by steamer was planned.
A basic tenet of Masonry is charity, and as time went on, the demands of charity increased. The disposal of funds to traveling Masons who applied for aid gave rise to an arrangement between Merrimack and Saggahew that "the masters shall appoint a brother whose duty it shall be to receive applications for aid and act as his judgment may direct, and there shall be appropriated from the treasury of each lodge annually the sum of twenty-five dollars." Dr. Francis J. Stevens, Past Master of Merrimack Lodge was appointed by both lodges and served from 1869 until 1878, when druggist Frank C. Swan of Saggahew became the Charity Committee. He served with distinction until 1896. The more serious cases of need were underwritten by a special vote of the lodge directly from the treasury. Further, the Junior Warden customarily solicited annual gifts for a watchers fund. Watchers were hired for the aged and infirm at a standard rate of $2.00 a night; in protracted cases these payments often ran to several hundreds of dollars. But the demands of charity were always met, even though the lodge had to borrow money.
The indebtedness of the new building and the demands of charity kept the various bodies in need of money. In December of 1879, a Masonic Fair was discussed in Saggahew, and in 1880 committees of ten were appointed from each body. For six days in November, the Masonic Fair was held in City Hall, under the General Chairmanship of James E. Gale. 6000 copies of the "Masonic Herald" were distributed free, a supper was held each night and entertainment was variously provided by a quartette, concert singing, tableaux by talented young ladies, and on Saturday night, a grand distribution of 100 prizes, headed by a 7 1/3 octave piano. Season tickets were $1.00. The Masonic Fair was, of course, a grand social success and Saggahew received as its share $636.00.
William H. Moody, a distinguished citizen of Haverhill, and later an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court, was raised in Saggahew Lodge on December 5, 1881. In 1907, on motion of Wor. Charles A. Bodwell, Moody was elected an Honorary member of Saggahew Lodge.
The public installation of Wor. J. Otis Wardwell in 1887 drew an assembly of nearly 300. Afterward a collation by Bro. Tanner was served upstairs and dancing continued until 1:20 A.M. Wardwell was then a young man, and he later became a prominent attorney in Boston. He was followed by Wor. Edward A. Fitts, who was always devoted to Saggahew. Fitts was District Deputy in 1893-1894, and later was chosen for the honor of the 33°.
May 2, 1888 "will ever be remembered in the history of the Masonic fraternity in Haverhill, for on that evening was held the confraternal meeting of Merrimack and Saggahew Lodges. The occasion was not only gala, but unique, it being the first one of its kind ever held in Massachusetts." Many members of Saggahew and Merrimack Lodges who had not attended for years were in attendance, and expressed themselves as being well pleased with the manner in which the work was performed. There were present 125 members of Merrimack Lodge, 115 of Saggahew Lodge and ninety-two visitors, making a total of 332 Masons. Past Masters of both lodges assumed the several stations and candidates were raised. The hall was gaily decorated with flowers. The lodges closed at 10:4-5 P. M., after which a banquet was held, with speeches and music by the Temple Quartette of Boston. The meeting broke up at 1.00 A. M.
A second confraternal meeting was held in 1896, at which the work was also performed by Past Masters. A total of 325 members were present.
On August 20, 1888, Bro. James E. Gale died. Of him, the resolution in the Secretary's book says, "Its first worshipful master, its constant and devoted friend, its judicious and faithful advisor .... may his example teach us that he most truly leads who most willingly serves his fellow men. To such belong the Grand Master's welcome: Well done, good and faithful servant, enter thou into the joys of the Lord."
On December 5, 1889, the 25th Anniversary of Saggahew Lodge was celebrated. The night was cold and stormy, in spite of which the occasion was truly Masonic and one long to be remembered. R.W. Nathan S. Kimball presided and presented to the company a pleasing medley of entertainment and instruction, consisting of music, both vocal and instrumental, and remarks by Bro. George S. Chase and R. W. P. G. M. William Parkman (who was the Grand Master who signed our charter). After the entertainment, all ascended to the hall above, where a banquet had been spread, and the evening's pleasure closed with a social dance. The membership in 1889 was 206.
At the meeting on January 7, 1886, with J. Otis Wardwell in the chair, our Chaplain, Rev. Bro. Thomas E. St. John, arose to make remarks on the Origins of Freemasonry, which he traced to the present time. He then dwelt on the benefits of a neat and tidy lodge room, particularly when the officers prided themselves on their appearance. Under benefit of this introduction, he then presented the lodge with a new and complete set of collars and aprons, together with rods for the stewards and deacons, a gift secured through the efforts of Bro. George C. Willey.
The master's three-year term of office in Saggahew ended with Wor. J. Otis Wardwell in 1887, although it continued in Merrimack through the term of Wor. Albert B. Hale in 1912. The only exception in Saggahew was when Henry L. Greenlay was elected Master on Dec. 17, 1895, only to die ten days later. By special dispensation the lodge continued Wor. Charles P. Sumner for a third year. Sumner served as Master from 1894 through 1896. He was a thorough and businesslike man; in his first term he had eighteen applications, forty-one in his second and nine in his third. He left the lodge temporarily in the black. One noteworthy meeting was held on June 17, 1895, when Saggahew held a special at 8:30 A.M. In conjunction with Merrimack, lines were formed and 114 brothers of both lodges marched to the railroad station where they entrained for Charlestown to attend the celebration of the dedication of Bunker Hill Monument erected to the memory of Joseph Warren. Lodge was closed at 6:30 P.M.
Sumner was followed by Joseph A. Dalrymple in 1897 and 1898. These were hard times, culminating in the crisis of 1898; in 1897 there were three applications and in 1898 thirteen. During Dalrymple's two years there were only two special communications. The demands on charity increased.
Frank C. Swan, the "Charity Committee" for eighteen years, died in 1898, and in December of that year, after some prodding by the Grand Lodge, it was voted on motion of Ed. A. Fitts "that fifty cents of the annual dues received from each member be placed in a separate fund to be known as the Charity Fund of Saggahew Lodge." Some money was raised by subscription, and a year later, L. H. Chick, C. P. Sumner, and F. D. McGregor were appointed a committee to draw up a suitable by-law. The fund grew slowly, during which time regular appropriations were made from the treasury of the Lodge for charity besides what income could be had from the lodge fund. In 1917, J. A. Dalrymple presented the lodge with a Liberty Bond for its charity fund, the first recorded gift of an individual. Later, Chick and Sumner remembered the fund in their wills, and Will Bixby and Charles Bodwell made gifts when they were presented their fifty-year medals.
A certain maturity came to Saggahew Lodge because of the quality of the work both before and after the turn of the century. The Masters were polished in the social graces; they had a flair for the showmanship in Masonry; they were well known throughout the District and at the Grand Lodge. Attendance at meetings was high, and candidates became plentiful.
Fred D. McGregor had sixty applications during his years of 1901-1902. He was a capable man of pleasing manner and friendly personality. In one of his first meetings he invited Merrimack to visit the lodge, and 190 enjoyed the meeting. Charles P. Sumner was District Deputy that year, and at visitation in November 250 attended. A public installation was held in 1902 attended by over 250 persons. At the visitation in November, Saggahew was visited by M. W. Charles T. Gallagher, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts. 325 Masons saw Perley Leslie raised that night.
On June 18, 1902, Merrimack Lodge celebrated the 100th Anniversary of its founding. Wor. Fred D. McGregor, for Saggahew, presented Merrimack with a silver punch bowl and ladle, closing his remarks with "may brotherly love al ways prevail and may the going down of the sun never find discord among the Masons of Haverhill." Wor. Master Nelson J. Hunt replied, "May the maternal care of Merrimack Lodge and the reciprocal love and affection of Saggahew Lodge which now exists last till time shall be no more." McGregor served as District Deputy in the years 1912-1913.
Ben B. Gilman, master in 1905-1906 was to many people, the embodiment of Masonry. He was singlehearted in his pursuit of the aims and purposes of Masonry until his death in 1921. In 1908 he was elected Proxy to the Grand Lodge, a position he relished for eleven years. A District Deputy in 1917-1918, he was Senior Grand Warden in 1919. An informal meeting of the Masonic bodies of the city was held on the evening of Sept. 28, 1914. Fred D. McGregor presented Ben B. Gilman with a jewel, emblematic of the 33°, which had been conferred upon him in Chicago on Sept. 15th. The jewel was procured by popular subscription and 604 brethren had donated towards it. Sufficient funds were given to purchase a silver service of ninety-five pieces, which was later presented to Mr. and Mrs. Gilman, Bro. Gilman having married just prior to his departure for Chicago. Besides Edward A. Fitts and Ben B. Gilman, Fred D. McGregor and his brother Sam A. McGregor were 33° Masons. Howard A. Rowell is the only Saggahew member presently to hold this Scottish Rite honor.
In May of 1911, when Wor. Irving L. Keith was master, a pleasant event took place which has long been remembered. Albert L. Teichman, a popular barber, was raised by the degree team of Germania Lodge of Boston. This was the first degree team to work in Saggahew Lodge, and it made a most favorable and lasting impression on the minds of the 200 Masons present. The work was done in German.
At the visitation in November of 1911, M. W. Dana J. Flanders, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts (and Past Master of Merrimack Lodge), visited Saggahew and saw Harry Blanchard Parmalee and John Kendall Nichols passed as fellowcraft. The Grand Master made pleasing remarks on his early Masonic work as an officer in this temple, and paid tribute to some prominent brothers who have joined the silent majority, and also complimented Saggahew on its generous support and contributions to the Masonic Home.
On December IS, 1913, Wor. Matthew J. Gray announced the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Saggahew Lodge. A reception was tendered our only living charter members, Oliver S. Hubbard, R. Stuart Chase, Charles W. Chase and David M. Kelly. The last three sent their greetings and regretted their inability to be present. Following a selection by the Pilgrim Quartette of Boston, Wor. George S. Yeaton read the original charter of the lodge, which remains unchanged today, and he was followed by a reading by Bro. Herbert G. Veasey. Bro. Hubbard then read the original poem. "Saggahew," written in 1865 and sung at the early communications of the lodge by a quartette of which Bro. Hubbard was a member.
'Twas a gallant ship on a trial trip
That left our shores one day
And many a prayer for that noble craft
Went with them on their way.
We had no fears for their safe return
Though wind and tide should fail,
For strong and true was the gallant crew
And their Master was a Gale.
There was Randall and Whittier, Poor and Hoyt, Brooks, Bradley, Wheeler and West,
And Carleton, Nichols, Smith, Messer and Fitts
And Sleeper came with the rest.
There was Hubbard and Evans and Frank C. Swan,
And of Chases not a few.
'Twas a gallant band that left the land
In the good ship Saggahew.
Again today that gallant craft
Has started from the shore
With "Square and Compass" at her prow
And her deck the "Checkered Floor."
May heaven speed them on their way
May their skies be always blue,
And choicest blessings rest upon
The good ship Saggahew.
We'll drink success to that noble craft
With her free and accepted crew
Long may they sail with their Master Gale
In the good ship Saggahew.
The cornerstone of the present building was laid June 24, 1873 by M. W. Sereno Dwight Nickerson, Grand Master, but it was discovered that the Temple was never dedicated. So after the building was repaired, on December 4, 1916, a joint meeting of Merrimack and Saggahew was held for the purpose of dedicating the Temple. Saggahew Lodge was opened at 7:30 P.M. by Wor. Matthew J. Gray, and Merrimack at 7:35 P.M. by Wor. Homer L. Connor. M. W. Melvin Maynard Johnson, Grand Master, assumed the East and the Grand Lodge Officers took their respective stations and proceeded to perform the ceremony of Dedication, agreeably to ancient form, "dedicating these halls to Freemasonry, to Virtue, and to Universal Benevolence." After the proclamation and address of the Grand Master, he called the names of the following brothers who had had continuous membership in the fraternity for fifty years and asked them if present to stand, and the Grand Marshal escorted them to the East. Merrimack Lodge: Wor. Joshua Marshman Stover, Bro. James Wylie Poland Smith and Bro. James F. Darling. Saggahew Lodge: Bro. Edward Gilman Frothing, Bro. Oliver S. Hubbard, Bro. Ira E. Chase, Bro. William Edward Blunt and Bro. Martin Taylor. Brothers Stover and Smith of Merrimack and Hubbard of Saggahew responded, and the Grand Master presented each with a "Henry Price Medal," which was the first presentation of this medal to a Saggahew member.
In January 1911, R. W. Arthur D. Prince, D. D. G. M., presented Bro. Charles Winslow a jewel of his office, and appointed him Honorary Marshal. Winslow had served Saggahew since 1890, a period of twenty years. And in April of 1917, Wor. Ralph N. Davis presented Bro. Charles M. Wildes, retiring organist, with a gold jewel for his long and faithful service, he having been organist since 1884, a span of thirty-four years.
Ralph N. Davis was Master 1917-1918, stirring days which saw the entry into World War I. The Grand Lodge made it possible to confer the apprentice and fellowcraft degrees the same night, and by special dispensation, the master's degree could be given not less than 48 hours after. Allan Barker MacGregor was the first such candidate. Afterwards came Seth K. Mitchell, Homer Edward Frye, Edmund Little, Forrest Wilfred Clogston and Ernest Clayton Boyd.
In November of 1919 a joint meeting of Merrimack and Saggahew Lodges was held for the dedication of a Masonic Monument by the Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts. Lodges were opened at 1:50 P.M. and after the reception of M.W. Leon M. Abbott, Grand Master, lines were formed, and officers and members escorted by a platoon of police, Aleppo Shrine Band, and the Patrol of Haverhill Commandery, marched to Elmwood Cemetery where the exercises took place. In all, 1200 persons were in line. The beautiful monument was given to the Masonic Fraternity by Mrs. Augusta H. Tasker in memory of her husband, William Orin Tasker, a late member of Merrimack Lodge. The lot was purchased by the five Masonic bodies of the city. The monument was unveiled and dedicated by the Grand Master according to the ancient form and usage with the working tools and libations of corn, wine and oil. The ritual service was closed by bugle call and prayer.
The end of the war saw the number of applications rise; Wor. Urban W. Leavitt had sixty-seven applications in 1919, and ninety-three in 1920. The Secretary's report for 1920 shows ten regular and thirty-one special communications, with attendance of 2826 for the year.
On December 20, 1920, Wor. Ira C. Titcomb held a Past Master's Night at which Edmund Davis Webber, Leslie Joseph Wood, Warren Benjamin Allen, William James Page and Arthur Grayson Cronk were raised. During and after the banquet that evening, selections were rendered by the Haverhill Council Band. This was the first appearance in Saggahew of what was to become the well-known Haverhill Commandery Band, still active, which under the leadership of William H. Sears furnished music for many Masonic occasions, and gave public concerts annually for many years.
November 16, 192S was a big night in Saggahew Lodge. Charles W. Perry, Jr., paid a fraternal visit, and R.W. Harlan S. Cummings, P. D. D. G. M. of the 8th Masonic District, assisted by local brethren in the postal service, raised Nelson Randolph Giles and John Davis Currier. 153 postal service men were present, seventy-nine visiting lodges were represented, and in all, 366 Masons enjoyed the evening. During the next six years, degree teams exemplified the work from the Haverhill Electric Company, the Beacon Hill Square and Compass Club, and the Hood Rubber Craftsmen.
The years of the 1930s brought to Saggahew the period of the Great Depression. Problems were many and candidates few. 1933 saw two initiates, 1934 one. Without candidates, attendance dwindled and entertainments were provided at meetings.
District Deputies talked regularly on three subjects at visitations during this period. First was the need for service committee work. R. W. Charles I. Pettengill, D. D. G. M. in 1922, had first spoken to Saggahew of the usefulness of service committees because of need created by the financial stringency of 1921. Service committees had worked in the 1920s. Now, when income from charity funds was inadequate, even when supplemented by funds from higher bodies, service committees provided a personal contact with individual members that could help solve problems. These committees were established in each section of the city.
The second subject was the Masonic Home at Charlton, and to a lesser extent, the Masonic Hospital at Shrewsbury. D. D. G. M. R. W. George H. Perkins had told Saggahew of the plans to build the Home in 1907, Wor. Ben B. Gilman had reported in 1911 that it was opened, and in 1913, an Associate Member of the Board of Masonic Relief, Gilman reported to the lodge that Peter G. Ober of Saggahew had been admitted. After a few years, wings were added so that more might be accommodated. Now in 1933 Mr. and Mrs. Karl Rand Tuttle were admitted, and in 1936, James Carleton Bartlett became a resident. Samuel Estwic Cass was admitted in 1938, but died before he was able to take up residence. In 1944 William W. Taylor was admitted, Fred L. Rowe in 1950 and in 1960 Mrs. Howard Smith Howe became a resident. Saggahew Lodge has from the first been a generous supporter of the Home. It is an indispensable part of the work of Masonry, and has been visited by many of the brethren. The Masonic Hospital today has become Juniper Hall, the Masonic Nursing Home, and Bro. Frederick H. Grant is now a Saggahew Lodge resident.
The third subject was the 33rd Lodge of Instruction, first mentioned by Daniel Clark Hunt, D. D. G. M. in 1929. He spoke of something new; a source of instruction for the young and old of Masonry alike, and these meetings have been popular ever since. Saggahew members who have been Master of the 33rd Lodge of Instruction are: J. Bradford Davis, 1934-1935; Erving H. Malcolm, 1942-1943; Arthur B. Walker, 1947-1948; Lloyd G. Smith, 1957-1958.
On January 20, 1941 Saggahew celebrated its 75th Anniversary with a visit by Albert A. Schaefer, Grand Master, who assumed the East and conducted the program. After an opening selection by the orchestra, the Lodge History written by Herman W. Dow was read by Erving H. Malcolm. After a vocal solo by Bro. Rev. Harold N. Nye, the Grand Master gave the address of the evening, congratulating Saggahew on attaining 75 years of continuous service.
The services of George N. Whiting bear special mention. Secretary from 1909 to his death in 1938, Whiting represented Saggahew Lodge to members for thirty years. Starting in with the inscription of memorial pages, he first used his perfect penmanship in recording the dedication of the Temple in 1916. Then in September of 1919 until October of 1923, each meeting was recorded in his beautiful script. In 1923 the loose leaf system was introduced and the minutes were typewritten. Elmer Ezra Whipple became tyler in 1914 and continued until his death in 1936. Many will remember J. Bradford Davis, a dedicated and beloved man, who like many others, found in Masonic service that which gave him lifelong satisfactions. He was master in 1931-1932, District Deputy in 1935-1936, Associate Member of the Board of Masonic Relief 1933-1952, and Treasurer from 1938 until his death in 1955. Wor. Frederick M. Faulkner, Master in 1948, was elected Treasurer, and has continued in the same dedicated tradition.
In 1900 Bro. A. P. Jaques presented the lodge with three olive wood gavels and a picture he had brought from Jerusalem. And Ben. B. Gilman, as District Deputy in 1916, presented Saggahew with a silk American flag. In 1922 William E. Bixby, a great traveler, told the lodge of his travels in the Holy Land, and presented a piece of rock taken from the ruins of King Solomon's Temple.
In 1935, R.W. J. Bradford Davis, D. D. G. M., presented an apron from an English lodge to the Temple, and in 1939, Wor. Leslie J. Wood acknowledged the gift of a silk hat presented by a group of friends. In 1950, Bro. Moses Klein presented the lodge with a new meeting sign to be displayed during meetings. In 1954, George H. Bixby, in behalf of Chesley T. Bixby and himself, presented a new altar Bible in memory of their father, Brother George H. Bixby, who died in 1925. In 1957, Bro. Albert Lapham presented the lodge with an English silver trowel.
Then came the years of World War II. During these years the lodge convened in July and August if necessary when accelerated initiations were required. Richard Stuart Anthony. Paul Dennis Wood, Jr., and Trafton Hutchins were worked with special dispensation. Contributions were made for Masonic service work, and a Masonic Service Center at Fort Devens.
After the war, work by degree teams increased, and this represented superior work because of the study, specialization and color that was put into it. Also, the teams gave the work added significance for the candidate, and these meetings were popular. Work was done by the postal service, the fire department, and the Ashlar Cub of Western Electric, to mention just a few. Some teams of statewide popularity performed in Saggahew, such as the Canopy Club of the D. P. W., the North Shore Highlanders, and the Pythagorean Degree Team of Jordan Lodge of Peabody.
The modern era was ushered in for Saggahew Lodge by Wor. Orrin F. Riley in 1952. Riley was an engineer in the Department of Public Worls, and he brought his initiative and talents to Masonry. Tha' year there were ten stated and thirty-one special meeting-, and thirty-five candidates were raised. Busy as he was, Riley planned a Fathers and Sons Night, a DeMolay Night, and Old Timers Night, also a Past Masters Night at which thirteen of Saggahew's Past Masters were present, and a recording was made of their voices. Attendance grew. And each year since then has seen a somewhat similar program. Masonic birthdays are recognized. Each event has added something to the meeting, and the brethren have enjoyed it.
The modern series of Ladies Nights began in 1951 under Wor. G. Elbert Hall and have been well attended.
In October 1953, Saggahew held Charles A. Bodwell Night. He was presented the Distinguished Service Medal by the Grand Lodge in recognition of his service to the Craft. He ilso has received a scroll from the Grand Lodge, known as the Past Masters Scroll, given those who have been a Past Master for over fifty years. Bodwell was also awarded the Grand Cross of Honor, given some of those who have headed all bodies of the York Rite. Bodwell was always a quiet man, but he regularly attended visitations at Saggahew, and worked on Past Masters Nights, greatly enjoying his part in the exercises. Finally after the Past Masters Night in 1962, he confided, "This will be my last meeting." He died regretted in 1963.
On May 19, 1958, Wor. A. Johnson Porst was presented a plaque and Past Master's pin by the brethren of the First Presbyterian Church in commendation of service for the church and craft. The presentation was made by Robert D. Forsyth, at that time Inside Sentinel, assisted by our erstwhile Chaplain and Honorary Member, Rev. Frederic A. Parker.
November 16, 1959 was Thomas J. Luby Night, honoring the deservedly popular District Deputy Grand Master at the completion of his term. Charles A. Bodwell presented Luby to Wor. Donald P. Stone with the remark he had never seen a suite the size of the one that was with the Deputy. Chesley T. Bixby, Junior Past Master of Saggahew, made a presentation of a Past District Deputy's apron, and Moses S. Klein, the Deputy's Marshal, presented him with a plaque. Over 200 Masons, representing the eight lodges in the district joined in paying tribute to Luby for "his outstanding achievements in Masonry and the District."
Other noteworthy events have taken place in recent times. January 21, 1957, a degree team composed of brethren of Armenian descent under direction of Wor. Sarkis Zartarian, P. M. of Euclid Lodge of Boston, assisted by Wor. Leon Ananian, Master of St. Mark's Lodge of Newburyport, raised Hrant Khatchadourian, Edward Nazareth Maloomian, and Harry Haroutun Hanoian. Not the least enjoyable part of the evening was the fine Armenian dinner prepared by the Women's Auxiliary of St. Gregory's Church.
May 27, 1957 was Greek Night, when Gregory Nicholas Serferlis, Ignatius Elias Theodorou, George James Kotis, and Chris Kitsopoulos were raised by the Hellenic Square and Compass Club of Massachusetts.
The Orrin F. Riley apron, gift of the family of an able Master who died prematurely, was worn by masters on their visits throughout the district. The Forrest Dwight Bixby Presiding Master's Jewel, given by Wor. Chesley T. Bixby and co-workers, is worn by each presiding master.
Meanwhile, the years saw additions to the charitable funds. Fred Frank Swett, Charles William Proctor and Charles H. Garland all left money for Masonic charity in their last will and testament. Leslie J. Wood made a unique gift, and Charles A. Bodwell has made a further gift in trust which will be received in time. Also, money has been given the lodge by will from Herbert E. Chase, Addie Mae Titcomb, Perley Leslie and Walter Mason. The wishes of these persons for Masonic charity will continue on forever. Both Charitable and Permanent funds are currently under the trusteeship of R. W. Thomas J. Luby, Jr., Wor. Charlton F. Johnson, and Bro. Leon M. Poore.
Important as money is, the work of the Service Committee is fully as important. Through the Service Committee the lodge speaks to the individual member. In 1955, Wor. James M. McLeod, Jr., announced the forming of the modern Service Committee under direction of Bro. William B. Thompson. This committee has functioned efficiently up to the present time, and is of inestimable value to the lodge.
Probably the most outstanding innovation in Masonry in the last decade has been the Masonic Blood Bank. There is no substitute for blood when it is needed. In 1951 the lodge was asked for donors by the local Red Cross Chapter, and about that time the Grand Lodge formed its program. In 1952 Saggahew and Merrimack jointly sponsored their first blood bank, at which 187 pints were donated to the Red Cross program. Since this start, Saggahew has met its Red Cross quota each year, and also has several citations from the Grand Lodge for donating over 100 pints during the year.
Much of the success of this program depends on the hard work and tireless effort of the chairman. He must select committees, arrange lists for calls, keep records, make reports, keep interest high, and answer all requests for blood needed by the brethren and their families. Wor. Thomas J. Luby, Jr. (now Regional Chairman of the Northeast District for the Grand Lodge Service Dept.) was Saggahew's first Chairman; he was followed by Wor. Moses S. Klein, who took over for four years when he completed his term as Master. Highgaz DerBogosian and Arthur C. Morrow were Chairmen, and since 1962 the program has been ably headed by Joseph C. Langlois.
To the donors are due sincere thanks, often from people they may never know. Many members have made sizable donations in the name of Saggahew Lodge. Among those whose records are on file with the committee are:
- FIVE GALLONS: Thomas J. Luby, Jr. THREE GALLONS: George H. Harrison; George H. Bixby, Jr.; A. Johnson Porst.
- TWO GALLONS: Warren E. Tuxbury, Jr.; Walter H. Evans; Warren H. Seward.
- ONE GALLON: Theodore W. Laing; James M. McLeod, Jr.; Moses S. Klein; John R. Morey; Donald P. Stone; Edward R. Perreault; Edward Morrow; Kingsbury Davis; Boynton A. Grover; Jesse W. Chase; Robert T. Wilson; Earle H. Gifford; Donald F. Adams; Norman P. Andrews James H. Goodwin; Russell W. McKeen; Lloyd E. Smith; William B. Thompson; Charles A. Hamel; Henry J. Bertram.
Thus in this brief resume, we have watched 100 years of the sands of time fall through the hourglass, and we are reminded that as the tenets of Masonry are larger than we are, so the strength of Masonry lies in the lives of those who dedicate their purposes to it. Saggahew has been fortunate in the men who have given her history purpose, and as long as she finds and uses such men, her history will continue bright.
125TH ANNIVERSARY, JUNE 1991
History of Saggahew Lodge 1965-1991
In the past twenty-five years we have seen many new members raised, many brothers celebrate a great number of years within the craft and some of our brothers depart to a place sacred to all Masons. Throughout these years it has become obvious that the principles which all Masons hold dear have been exhibited by the Brothers in Saggahew Lodge.
For many years now one of the causes which Masons contribute to is in the area of blood donation. Over the years, thousands of pints of blood have been donated from the brothers of Saggahew Lodge. In 1965 Saggahew Lodge was given a Grand Lodge citation for donating over 100 pints of blood for the year. It should be noted that out of all the Lodges in Massachusetts only 10 made this quota. This dedication to giving is carried on faithfully by the members of the Lodge.
In most years the installation of officers in the Lodge takes place in the form of semi-public installation, however, in 1967 the Brothers and Officers of the Lodge were privileged to see the installation in its complete and all Masonic form. It was the first time in many years that the Lodge had not held a semi-public installation, which required certain deletions of the true form.
As with most Lodges we recognize the experience and wisdom of our veteran members in Freemasonry. These brothers have built this Lodge into a well organized, respected institution. To show our humble appreciation for their years of hard work and dedication we hold an annual old-timers night. This event is Saggahew's way of saying thanks to our 35 year veteran members. In Saggahew Lodge we dedicate one night a year for this auspicious night.
Although Lodge meetings are not open to the public an obligation to one's family is not forgotten. Various events are scheduled throughout the year in order to include family members. In 1968 this was marked by the first annual children's Christmas party. This event has continued to grow on an annual basis and is one of the events most looked forward to by friends and family of Saggahew Lodge. This event is another example of the Brotherly Love throughout Saggahew Lodge.
A number of lectures heard in Saggahew Lodge deserve special mention. In 1969 a third Degree lecture given by Past Grand Master Most Worshipful A. Neill Osgood was conducted upon certain candidates. A finer lecture had not been heard by the Brethren. In 1970 Saggahew and Merrimack Lodge sponsored a Tartan Feast and exemplification of the first Degree by the Kilted Craft. These Brothers exemplify in the Ancient & Due form dressed in authentic kilted plaid. Recently an ad hoc Boy Scout Degree team conferred the Master Mason Degree on a candidate who has been involved with the Boy Scouts for a number of years. Lectures such as these given by special groups show the Brotherly Love of one Brother toward another.
In 1969 Right Worshipful Thomas J. Luby, Jr. of Saggahew Lodge was appointed as Grand Representative of the Grand Lodge of Santa Catarina, Brazil.
At times there are light moments in the Lodge such as in May of 1971 when Brothers Raymond Stevens Stewart and Raymond Stevens Stewart, Jr. filled in as Senior and Junior Steward respectfully. This may be a first in Masonry for a Senior and Junior Stewart to serve as Senior and Junior Steward. On April 1, 1984 another such moment occurred when the "Great" comedy Bowling Match between Saggahew and Merrimack Lodge was held. Although it was recorded that this event took place it was not noted in the next Lodge minutes which team was victorious. This must have been an inadvertent oversight.
The Masonic Home in Charlton was dedicated in May of 1911. This home was needed for once active Brothers who were now unable to support themselves and their wives or had died, leaving widows in need. In 1973 the Grand Lodge embarked on a program to build a new nursing home on the grounds of the Masonic Home. A substantial donation was made on behalf of Saggahew Lodge to support this cause. The Worshipful Master was presented with a certificate from Grand Lodge for exceeding the goal in donations to the Masonic Home Expansion Program.
Saggahew Lodge has established a program for the widows of Lodge members. These events have included concerts, visitations and a tradition of presenting fruit baskets at Christmas time. It is extremely important that the wife of any departed member be remembered by Saggahew Lodge.
On April 17, 1989 the Joseph Warren medal was presented to Worshipful James H. Hastings in recognition of his 27 years of exemplary service in Masonry.
Community outreach is another area where members of the Lodge have taken an interest. The Lodge has offered CPR courses to members and friends and in 1990 held the first annual wheelchair cleaning day. This event allowed the Lodge to reach out and give of ourselves for the good of the community. These events also help with our public awareness campaign. Freemasonry is a way of life; as an organization, its purpose is to make good men better.
For the past one hundred and twenty-five years the members of Saggahew Lodge have done this through the principal ingredient in Freemasonry - Brotherly Love. It is this principle that unites men of every country, sect, and opinion into our great Fraternity. It is Brotherly Love that can unite the world into one circle with a common interest - peace on earth and goodwill to all men.
- 1901 (Ruling on officers forbidden to be installed; 1901-21; see also 1902-14)
- 1902 (Participation in the centennial of Merrimack Lodge, 1902-77)
- 1919 (Dedication of the Tasker Monument, 1919-309)
- 1977 (Participation in the 175th Anniversary of Merrimack Lodge, 1977-105)
CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, JANUARY 1866
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXV, No. 4, February 1866, p. 120:
This new Lodge having received its Charter at the annual communication of the Grand Lodge in December last, was duly Constituted and its officers were regularly installed by the M. W. Grand Master, Br. Charles C. Dame, assisted by a delegation of the Grand officers, on Friday the 12th January last. The attendance of the members of the Lodge and visiting Brethren was very large. Among the latter we noticed several very aged Brethren; one, Brother Moses Wingate, having attained to the great age of ninety-six, having been a Mason sixty-four years, and is probably the oldest member of the Fraternity in the State. His physical health is remarkably good, and his mental faculties remain unimpaired. The ceremonies were performed in the afternoon, in the convenient and beautiful hall fitted up a few years since by Merrimack Lodge. At the conclusion of these, the Brethren of the new Lodge, with the officers of the Grand Lodge, repaired to the public house in the village and sat down together at a bountiful and well served dinner; at the conclusion of which brief speeches were made by the Master of the Lodge, the Grand Master, and Grand Secretary, when the Brethren of the Grand Lodge were under the necessity of leaving for the cars. We understand, however, that the speaking at the table was continued for some time longer, and that in the evening the Brethren held a pleasant social levee at the Lodge room, to which their ladies were invited.
The Lodge has been eminently successful the past year, both in the number and character of its initiates. It is in competent hands, and its future prospects are most satisfactory and encouraging. The officers for the year are as follows : —
- James E. Gale, W. M.
- Daniel Fitts, S. W.
- Charles W. Chase, J. W.
- R. Stuart Chase, Treas.
- George S. Chase, Sec.
- Edwin A. Bradley, S. D.
- David M. Kelly, J. D.
- Calvin Smith, S. S.
- Hazen S. Littlefield, J. S.
- Oliver S. Hubbard, Chorister
- Arvida M. Vance, Marshal
- Alexander S. Hodgkins, I. S.
- Nathaniel K. Johnson, Tyler.
Note: the Magazine later identified two other Brothers senior to Br. Wingate; Brother Thomas Hooper of Charlestown , initiated in 1800, and then 86 years old, and Hon. Bro. Francis Welch (b. 1776, initiated 1797).
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- James Antonopoulos, DDGM, District 11, 2013, 2014
- Charles D. Batchelder, Jr., DDGM, 1989, 1990, District 10 (Newburyport); Senior Grand Warden 1991; N
- John Bradford Davis, DDGM, District 10 (Newburyport), 1934, 1935; N
- Frederick M. Faulkner, DDGM, District 10 (Newburyport), 1986; SN
- Edward A. Fitts, DDGM, District 10 (Lawrence), 1892, 1893, 1894; Memorial
- James E. Gale, DDGM, District 6 (Newburyport), 1870, 1871; SN
- Benjamin B. Gilman, DDGM, District 10 (Newburyport), 1916, 1917; Senior Grand Warden 1919
- George H. Harrison, DDGM, District 10 (Newburyport), 1974, 1975; N
- James H. Hastings, DDGM, District 10 (Newburyport), 1995, 1996; N
- Nathan S. Kimball, DDGM, District 6 (Newburyport), 1880; Junior Grand Warden 1881
- Thomas J. Luby, Jr., DDGM, District 10 (Newburyport), 1958, 1959; Junior Grand Warden 1967; N
- Erving H. Malcolm, DDGM, District 10 (Newburyport), 1944, 1945; N
- Fred D. McGregor, DDGM, District 10 (Newburyport), 1911, 1912; SN
- Brian J. Richard, DDGM, District 11, 2016, 2017
- J. Charles Rutledge, DDGM, District 11, 2007, 2008; N
- Charles P. Sumner, DDGM, District 10 (Lawrence), 1900, 1901; SN