Palestine

From MasonicGenealogy
Revision as of 09:37, 10 June 2019 by Hotc1733 (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

PALESTINE LODGE

Location: North Malden; Everett (1883)

Chartered By: William Sewall Gardner

Charter Date: 12/08/1869 VII-407

Precedence Date: 12/08/1868

Current Status: In Grand Lodge Vault


PAST MASTERS

  • George W. Pierce, 1869-1872
  • Charles D. Stearns, 1873, 1874
  • Charles F. Atwood, 1875, 1876
  • Philip Ham, 1877, 1878
  • Columbus Corey, 1879, 1880; Mem
  • Nathan Nichols, 1881, 1882
  • John S. Nichols, 1883, 1884
  • James A. Wallace, 1885, 1886
  • Francis E. Dyer, 1887, 1888
  • George E. Whittemore, 1889, 1890
  • Thornton A. Smith, 1891, 1892
  • Thomas Milligan, 1893, 1894
  • Henry A. Knight, 1895, 1896
  • Charles Bruce, 1897, 1898
  • Edwin B. Noyes, 1899, 1900
  • Edwin M. Hall, 1901, 1902
  • Frederick B. Silsby, 1903, 1904
  • Gustavus A. Judd, 1905, 1906
  • Charles L. Purinton, 1907; SN
  • Edwin C. Beers, 1908, 1909
  • Fred A. Robertson, 1910, 1911
  • Charles O. Howe, 1912, 1913
  • Fred M. Burden, 1914, 1915
  • John R. Dexter, 1916, 1917
  • Philip E. Ham, 1918
  • Charles Holton, 1919, 1920
  • Fred Hobbs, 1921
  • George A. F. Perry, 1922
  • Willard P. Lombard, 1923; N
  • James F. Williams, 1924
  • Joseph E. Maxcy, 1925
  • Herman F. Wood, 1926
  • John A. Corliss, 1927; SN
  • George Harvey, 1928
  • Preston D. Chambers, 1929; N
  • James H. Shillady, 1930
  • Charles R. Chapman, 1931
  • Charles R. Flagg, 1932
  • Percy R. W. Davis, 1933
  • Ernest W. West, 1934
  • Mortimer W. Schroeder, 1935
  • Wallace E. Chase, 1936, 1937
  • James Love, 1938
  • John M. MacKenzie, 1939
  • Kenneth G. Swindell, 1940; N
  • Elmer R. Pickering, 1941
  • Edward H. Mack, 1942
  • Richard L. Lounsbury, 1943
  • George M. Poor, 1944
  • Cecil Thomson, 1945
  • Carrol C. Cate, 1946
  • G. Lawrence Sjostedt, 1947
  • Harold M. Wetherbee, 1948
  • Willard B. Whittemore, 1949
  • John G. Barnhardt, 1950
  • Edmund W. Patterson, 1951
  • George E. M. Perham, 1952
  • Stanley L. Whittemore, 1953
  • Goerge S. Kenison, 1954
  • Arnold H. Wetherbee, 1955
  • Henri B. Turner, 1956
  • Kenneth M. Webber, 1957
  • James M. Love, 1958
  • Hollis E. Elwell, 1959
  • Philip E. Coyle, Jr., 1960; N
  • Samuel C. Jacobus, 1961
  • Donald F. Leonard, 1962
  • David J. McBride, 1963
  • John K. Olsen, 1964
  • Charles E. Wilderman, Sr., 1965
  • Robert A. Grout, 1966
  • Charles S. Hopkins, 1967
  • George W. Betts, Jr., 1968
  • Joseph F. Dresser, 1969
  • George D. Baldwin, 1970
  • Donald L. King, 1971
  • John N. Olsen, 1972
  • James R. Griffith, 1973
  • Jesse C. Blackmon, Jr., 1974
  • William J. Strong, 1975
  • David D. Frizzell, 1976
  • Donald F. Libby, 1977
  • David L. Westerman, 1978
  • Orlando R. Goodwin, 1979; SN
  • Thomas A. Joyce, 1980
  • Thomas M. Frederick, 1981
  • Charles R. Swan, 1982, 1987
  • Loren A. Frizzell, 1983
  • Walter M. Russ, 1984
  • Robert J. Garbarino, 1985, 1986
  • John R. Gear, 1988
  • Joseph P. Westerman, 1989, 2001, 2002
  • Robert B. Reed, 1990, 2003, 2004
  • William R. Frederick, Jr., 1991, 1992
  • Joseph C. DelFavero, 1993, 1994, 2008, 2009
  • Gerald C. Guerriero, 1995
  • Douglas G. Varney, 1996
  • J. Gregory Russ, 1997, 1998
  • David I. Westerman, 1999, 2000
  • Kevin B. McNeely, 2005-2007
  • William J. Boulay, 2010, 2011
  • Richard E. Miller, Jr., 2012, 2013
  • Brian E. Gregory, 2014, 2015
  • Stephen E. Bruce, 2016

REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1868
  • Petition for Charter: 1869

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1918 (50th Anniversary)
  • 1943 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1968 (Centenary)
  • 1994 (125th Anniversary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1872 1875 1876 1881 1889 1897 1904 1906 1908 1919 1935 1938 1939 1950 1960 1961 1964 1974 1980 1989 1990 2012

HISTORY

50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, DECEMBER 1918

From New England Craftsman, Vol. XIV, No. 3, December 1918, Page 96:

Palestine Lodge of Everett, Mass., opened the observance of its golden anniversary Dec. 8, with one of the largest outpouring of Masons in the history of the city at a service in the First Baptist Church. More than 300 members of the lodge marched from Masonic Temple to the church, of which Rev. A. J. Hughes, chaplain of the lodge, is pastor.

Prayer was offered by Grand Chaplain Rev. Dr. R. Perry Bush of Chelsea, a life member of Palestine Lodge. Grand Chaplain Rev. Dr. Francis L. Beal delivered the address and the Weber Quartet sang several times. The exercises were concluded with the congregation ringing America and benediction by Rev. Mr. Hughes.

Following the service the members returned to Masonic Temple, where refreshments were served. A feature of the celebration was a banquet Dec. 9.

From Proceedings, Page 1918-236:

Address of R. W. Columbus Corey.

Palestine Lodge traces its place of birth to the brick building at the corner of Main Street and Baldwin Avenue, then known as Barney's Perfumery Building. Masons having a residence in South Malden had for a year or more previous to the granting of a dispensation met monthly or oftener at this place to lecture and perfect themselves in the work, and thoroughly did they do it, as evidenced when the opportunity came for them to show what progress they had made. Meeting with them, besides those who afterward became members of Palestine Lodge, were Brothers Hawes Atwood, Charles F. Atwood, Charles D. Stearns, Robert M. Barnard, James Skinner, Thomas Lewis, Stephen H. Kimball, and George T. Barney.. These Brothers were mostly affiliated with Boston Lodges.

September 25, 1868, an informal meeting was held at which Brothers George W. Pierce, Henry L. Chase, and Thomas Leavitt were chosen a committee to prepare and present a petition to Mount Vernon Lodge asking permission to form a new Lodge. The petition, at the suggestion of Mount Vernon Lodge, was to bear only the names of members of Mount Vernon Lodge. "Palestine" was the name selected for the new Lodge: "Palestine" — the land of Canaan. Palestine has been termed the "Fatherland of Masonic orders."

At a meeting of Mount Vernon Lodge held December 3, 18(58, it was voted "That the prayer of the petitioners be granted." It was also voted "That the Brethren of South Malden have the use of our Hall while under Dispensation.

A Dispensation was granted December 8, 1868, by Charles C. Dame, Most Worshipful Grand Master, attested by Solon Thornton, Grand Secretary, and appointing as Worshipful Master George W. Pierce, Senior Warden Henry L. Chase, Junior Warden Alfred Tufts.

The first regular communication was held January 14, 1869, at Engine House Hall, then standing where was afterward the Police Station, the building afterward becoming the property of the Veteran Firemen's Association and being removed to Second Street. After the reading of the Dispensation, the Worshipful Master completed the organization as follows:

  • Treasurer, Thomas Leavitt
  • Secretary, James P. Stewart
  • Senior Deacon, Jonas F. Wakefield
  • Junior Deacon , Philip Ham
  • Senior Steward, John G. Berry
  • 
Junior Steward, Albert W. Lewis
  • Inside Sentinel, Benjamin Corey
  • Marshal, S. Augustus Stimpson

The above, with Henry W. VanVoorhis, John C. VanVoorhis and Peter Hanson, fourteen in all, were the Charter members. Thomas Lewis was appointed as Tyler and James Skinner, Chaplain. Of the Charter members none survive. Brother Albert W. Lewis, the last to go to that country from whose bourne no traveller returns, died January 28, 1917.

At the meeting of January 14, 1869, three candidates were proposed, who were in due time elected and received the degrees. They were Columbus Corey, Joseph B. Nichols, and Joseph H. Currant, in the order named.

A Charter was granted under date of December 8, 1869. December 29, 1869, the Lodge met per order of Most Worshipful Grand Master William Sewall Gardner at 4 o'clock p.m. for the purpose of being Constituted, Consecrated, and Dedicated as Palestine Lodge and for the installation of officers — twenty-eight members in number.

After the dedicatory service, the Most Worshipful Grand Master, assisted by R. W. Tracy T. Cheever, District Deputy Grand Master, installed the officers of the Lodge. The officers were the same as those who served under Dispensation.

The need of more suitable accommodations for the Lodge had already become acute and a number of the Brethren formed a corporation under the name of "Everett Associates," every member of which must be a Mason, and erected what was known as Masonic Building in Everett Square. A proposition had been made by another party to erect a building on School Street and lease the second story to the Lodge for $500.00 per year. Lease was taken of the hall in Masonic Building at $350.00.

The first communication of the Lodge in its new apartments was held February 9, 1871, and was the informal opening of one of the most beautiful Lodge-rooms in the State, ornamented, as it was, entirely with designs pertaining to the Craft.

On June 1, 1872, the apartments were Dedicated to the "purposes of Masonry" by Most Worshipful Grand Master Sereno D. Nickerson and Officers of the Grand Lodge. After the services of Dedication were concluded, a beautiful silk banner, the gift of the lady friends, was borne into the hall and presented in their behalf by Miss Nellie P. Corey, and accepted in behalf of the Lodge by Worshipful Brother George W. Pierce. At that time the Lodge consisted of but fifty-two members and on that number rested a debt of $3000.00. It may be that that obligation more firmly cemented the bonds of friendship and that the indissoluble tie of brotherly love and affection was made stronger from the necessity of working in harmony.

Numerous applications from different organizations, fraternal and beneficiary, were made for occupancy of the Masonic apartments, but they were invariably declined, not from a lack of neighborly or brotherly feeling, but from the fact that it was dedicated to Masonry and as such it was proposed to keep it sacred to the cause.

As the members cheerfully bore the burden, so it was also true that the ladies generously gave their assistance. In 1871, in 1878, and in 1883 fairs were held, as the result of which a good, sizable sum was on each occasion placed to the credit of the treasury. January 24, 1908, Masonic Building was destroyed by fire and with it the entire furnishings and treasures of Palestine Lodge except the records, which were safely kept in a safe by Worshipful Brother Noyes. Constituted December, 1860, with a membership of twenty-eight, in October, 1910, the Lodge had a membership of four hundred and sixty-five.

And now Palestine Lodge found itself without a home. Action was immediately taken to provide one. A committee was appointed consisting of

  • Worshipful Brother Charles Bruce,
  • Worshipful Brother Edward B. Noyes,
  • Brother Eugene C. Blount,
  • Brother Isaac C. Harvey,
  • Brother Percy C. Bond,

to attend to the erection of a building which was to be the property of Palestine Lodge. Land was purchased of the Barnard Estate, and the building which we now occupy was the result of their labors and one which we think equal to any.

The cornerstone was laid October 11, 1910, by M. W. Brother Dana J. Flanders, assisted by "Worshipful Brother Rev. R. Perry Bush, D. D., Grand Chaplain, R. W. Brother Harry P. Ballard as Grand Marshal, and other officers of the Grand Lodge.

The Dedication, January 20, 1911, was conducted by M.W. Brother Dana J. Flanders, assisted by Worshipful Brothers Rev. Edward A. Horton, Rev. R. Perry Bush, D.D., and other officers of the Grand Lodge.

In order that we might have that harmony which should strengthen and support every gentle and ennobling emotion of the soul" the lady friends of the Lodge placed in the building an organ which sounds for itself. Since the erection of the building Bethsaida Royal Arch Chapter has been Instituted, February 22, 1911, with Worshipful Brother Charles Bruce as first High Priest. The ladies have also organized a Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, April 15, 1903, with Mrs. Katherine A. Smith as Matron, Worshipful Brother Edward B. Noyes, Patron. Palestine Lodge, during the time that it was to be without a Lodge-room of its own, held its meetings in Maiden Masonic Hall, Converse Lodge very kindly placing its regalia at the disposal of Palestine Lodge.

Palestine Lodge now has a membership of seven hundred and sixty-five, one hundred and one of whom are in the military or naval service of the United States.

75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, DECEMBER 1943

From Proceedings, Page 1943-244:

By Right Worshipful John A. Corliss:

The first fifty years of Palestine Lodge were admirably recorded by Right Worshipful Columbus Corey, whose application for the degrees was the first received by the new Lodge. The history of these years was given in an address delivered at the celebration of the fiftieth anniversary on December 9, 1918, and it is fitting that this record be included herein.

Palestine Lodge traces its place of birth to the brick building at the corner of Main Street and Baldwin Avenue, then known as Barney's Perfumery Building.

Masons having a residence in South Maiden had for a year or more previous to the granting of a dispensation met monthly or oftener at this place to lecture and perfect themselves in the work, and thoroughly did they do it, as evidenced when the opportunity came for them to show what progress they had made. Meeting with them, besides those who afterward became members of Palestine Lodge, were Brothers Hawes Atwood, Charles F. Atwood, Charles D. Stearns, Robert M. Barnard, James Skinner, Thomas Lewis, Stephen H. Kimball and George T. Barney. These Brothers were mostly affiliated with Boston Lodges.

September 25, 1868, an informal meeting was held at which Brothers George W. Pierce, Henry L. Chase and Thomas Leavitt were chosen a committee to prepare and present a petition to Mount Vernon Lodge asking permission to form a new Lodge. The petition, at the suggestion of Mount Vernon Lodge, was to bear only the names of members of Mount Vernon Lodge. "Palestine" was the name selected for the new Lodge. At a meeting of Mount Vernon Lodge held December 3, 1868, it was voted "That the prayer of the petitioners be granted." It was also voted "That the Brethren of South Maiden have the use of our Hall while under Dispensation."

A Dispensation was granted December 8, 1868, by Charles C. Dame, Most Worshipful Grand Master, attested by Solon Thornton, Grand Secretary, and appointing as Worshipful Master, George W. Pierce; Senior Warden, Henry L. Chase; Junior Warden, Alfred Tufts.

The first regular communication was held January 14, 1869, at Engine House Hall, then standing where was afterwards the Police Station, the building afterwards becoming the property of the Veteran Firemen's Association and being removed to Second Street. After the reading of the Dispensation, the Worshipful Master completed the organization as follows:

  • Treasurer, Thomas Leavitt
  • Secretary, James P. Stewart
  • Senior Deacon, Jonas P. Wakefield
  • Junior Deacon, Philip Ham
  • Senior Steward, John G. Berry
  • Junior Steward, Albert W. Lewis
  • Inside Sentinel, Benjamin Corey
  • Marshal, S. Augustus Stimpson

The above, with Henry W. VanVoorhis, John C. VanVoorhis and Peter Hanson, fourteen in all, were the Charter members. Thomas Lewis was appointed as Tyler and James Skinner, Chaplain.

At the meeting of January 14, 1869, three candidates were proposed, who were in due time elected and received degrees. They were Columbus Corey, Joseph E. Nichols, and Joseph H. Currant, in the order named.

A Charter was granted under date of December 8, 1869. December 29, 1869, the Lodge met per order of Most Worshipful Grand Master William Sewall Gardner at 4 o'clock P.M. for the purpose of being Constituted, Consecrated and Dedicated as Palestine Lodge and for the installation of officers — twenty-eight members in number. After the dedicatory service, the Most Worshipful Grand Master, assisted by R.W. Tracy P. Cheever, District Deputy Grand Master, installed the officers of the Lodge. The officers were the same as those who served under Dispensation.

The need of more suitable accommodations for the Lodge had already become acute and a number of the Brethren formed a corporation under the name of "Everett Associates," every member of which must be a Mason, and erected what was known as Masonic Building in Everett Square. The first communication of the Lodge in its new apartments was held February 9, 1871, and was the informal opening of one of the most beautiful Lodge-rooms in the State, ornamented, as it was, entirely with designs pertaining to the Craft.

On June 1, 1872, the apartments were Dedicated to the "purposes of Masonry" by Most Worshipful Grand Master Sereno D. Nickerson and officers of the Grand Lodge. At that time the Lodge consisted of but fifty-two members and on that number rested a debt of $3000.00. It may be that that obligation more firmly cemented the bonds of friendship and that the indissoluble tie of brotherly love and affection was made stronger from the necessity of working in harmony.

January 24, 1908, Masonic Building was destroyed by fire and with it the entire furnishings and treasures of Palestine Lodge except the records, which were safely kept in a safe by Worshipful Brother Noyes. Constituted December, 1869, with a membership of twenty-eight, in October, 1910, the Lodge had a membership of four hundred and sixty-five. And now Palestine Lodge found itself without a home. Action was immediately taken to provide one. A committee was appointed consisting of:

  • Worshipful Brother Charles Bruce
  • Worshipful Brother Edward B. Noyes
  • Brother Eugene I. Blount
  • Brother Isaac C. Harvey
  • Brother Percy C. Bond

to attend to the erection of a building which was to be the property of Palestine Lodge. Land was purchased of the Barnard Estate, and the building which we now occupy was the result of their labors and one which we think equal to any. The cornerstone was laid October 11, 1910, by M. W. Bro. Dana J. Flanders, assisted by Worshipful Brother Rev. R. Perry Bush, D.D., Grand Chaplain, R.W. Brother Harry P. Ballard as Grand Marshal, and other officers of the Grand Lodge. The Dedication January 20, 1911, was conducted by M.W. Brother Dana J. Flanders, assisted by Worshipful Brothers Rev. Edward A. Horton, Rev. R. Perry Bush, D.D., and other officers of the Grand Lodge.

Since the erection of the Building, Bethsaida Royal Arch Chapter has been Instituted, February 22, 1911, with Worshipful Brother Charles Bruce as first High Priest. Palestine Lodge, during the time that it was to be without a Lodge-room of its own, held its meetings in Maiden Masonic Hall, Converse Lodge very kindly placing its regalia at the disposal of Palestine Lodge.

Palestine Lodge now has a membership of seven hundred and sixty-five, one hundred and one of whom are in the military or naval service of the United States. This concludes the record of Right Worshipful Brother Corey. Going back into the later years covered by the narration just quoted, and while the Lodge was enjoying a period of marked prosperity in membership, and the occupancy of a new Temple, various interesting incidents are noted.

At the 497th regular communication held May 17, 1917, Worshipful John R. Dexter received Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott and a suite of Grand Officers, including Most Worshipful J. Albert Blake, on a fraternal visit. Worshipful Brother Dexter at that communication presented Past Master's Aprons to Worshipful Brothers Dyer, Whittemore, Smith, Milligan, Noyes, Judd, Purinton, Beers and Robertson. With Right Worshipful Columbus Corey in the East and all stations filled by Past Masters, the Master Mason Degree was worked on Brother R. T. L. Lewis. The Grand Master then presented Right Worshipful Brother Corey with a Henry Price medal.

Sunday afternoon, June 24, 1917, the Lodge met in celebration of St. John's Day and in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the formation of the Grand Lodge of England at the Goose and Gridiron Tavern in London, June 24, 1717.

June 27, 1918, at the 437th special communication, Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott again paid the Lodge a fraternal visit and presented the Henry Price medal to Brother George F. Hobbs, then fifty years a Mason.

Sunday afternoon, December 8, 1918, the 446th special communication was held for the purpose of observing the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Lodge. Two hundred sixty-eight members and eight visiting Brethren formed a procession and marched to the First Baptist Church, then in Everett Square. A one hour program at the Church included music by Brother John A. Thomas at the organ, selections by the Weber Male Quartette, Scripture reading by Rev. Brother A. Judson Hughes, Chaplain of the Lodge and Pastor of the Church, and prayers by Grand Chaplains R. Perry Bush, D.D., member of Palestine Lodge, and Francis L. Beal, D.D. After the completion of this enjoyable program, the Brethren returned to the Temple for a social hour and refreshments served in Temple Hall.

Monday evening, December 9th, the 447th special communication was held to continue the celebration. At 7 o'clock, 300 members, with Grand Officers as guests, sat down to a banquet in the vestry of the First Methodist Church on Norwood Street. During the banquet, musical selections were rendered by the Commonwealth Orchestra. After the banquet the Brethren returned to the Temple where the Lodge was reconvened and the Worshipful Master received Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott and suite of Grand Officers. All living Past Masters of the Lodge, except Worshipful Brother Silsby, who was living in Maine, sixteen in number, are recorded as present at the communication.

The program of the evening included selections by the Weber Quartette, addresses by Worshipful Charles Holton, presiding Master, Brother William E. Weeks, Mayor of Everett, reading of the history of Palestine Lodge by Right Worshipful Columbus Corey, heretofore quoted, and addresses by Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott, Grand Master, and Reverend and Worshipful Edward E. Horton. About 400 members and guests are recorded as present. The years immediately following are memorable for the rapid growth of the Lodge and the number of communications held to accommodate the large lists of candidates. A high light in this period is the reception in the Lodge of Right Worshipful Claude L. Allen, who was later to become Grand Master, during his term as District Deputy for the Seventh Masonic District, in the years 1919 and 1920.

At the annual communication November 11, 1921, a committee previously appointed to report on the advisability of forming a new Masonic Lodge in Everett reported favorably.

May 11, 1922, Brother, the Honorable Charles L. Underhill, Representative in Congress of the ninth Massachusetts District, made a special trip from Washington to talk before the Lodge.

December 16, 1922, recorded the passing of Worshipful Nathan Nichols, Master in 1881 and 1882, Secretary of the Lodge for two years, and Treasurer for twenty-one years at the time of his death.

The Temple had been constructed with funds of the Lodge, and generous subscriptions from the Brethren, but these together had not provided sufficient capital and a mortgage to complete the construction had been negotiated at a local bank. With the increase in membership, surplus funds had been accumulated and on June 14, 1923, in the administration of Right Worshipful Willard P. Lombard, the last mortgage note was paid and Palestine Lodge, through its ownership of practically all the shares of stock in Palestine Masonic Association, became the owner of the Temple Building and grounds, free and clear of all incumbrances.

October 11, 1923, records the fraternal visit to Palestine Lodge of the newly formed Galilean Lodge with Worshipful David S. Huey, presiding Master, and a full suite of officers, who assisted in the work of the evening. This occasion is memorable in that Worshipful Brother Huey and all his officers, with the exception of one, were members of Palestine Lodge.

In 1924 our beloved Brother Worshipful James Francis Williams was stricken ill during his term as Master, and after several months, was taken from us and raised to the Celestial Lodge October 10, 1924. Funeral services were conducted at his late home by Brother Joseph E. Maxcy, Acting Master, and Rev. Brother Hugh MacCallum, Chaplain. The high regard in which Worshipful Brother Williams was held was confirmed by the attendance of sixty-four members and three visiting Brothers at the services.

Interesting incidents are picked up on occasion in preparing such a narrative as this.

In arranging for his installation in November, 1924, Brother Joseph E. Maxcy, elected Worshipful Master, sent return postcards inviting the members of the Lodge. One such card was finally received by a Brother in China, the return portion duly filled out and mailed to be received in Everett in April, 1925, five months after the ceremonies. The Brother thanked Worshipful Brother Maxcy for the invitation and remarked his doubt if he could attend in person, but would be with the Lodge in spirit.

At an official visitation by Right Worshipful Edgar O. Dewey, October 21, 1926, in remarking on the growth and standing of Lodges in the State, he stated that Palestine Lodge was the third largest at that time, with 1200 members.

While this history is not a necrology, it has seemed proper to pay sincere and merited tribute to several of our Brethren whose removal from our midst has left an emptiness in our physical surroundings, but a fulness of recollection of warm and sincere friendship and loyal service to the Lodge in our memories.

Among these revered Brethren, Worshipful Brother Edward B. Noyes holds a high place. Master in 1899 and 1900, and in his 24th year as Secretary at the time of his death, his service to the Lodge as member and officer covered a period of nearly forty years. Masonic Services were held for Brother Noyes Sunday, February 20th, at the First Congregational Church in Everett Square, attended by 175 Brethren and a church full of friends and neighbors.

Worshipful Herman F. Wood succeeded to the Secretaryship of the Lodge by election under dispensation and was installed in office March 10, 1927, handling the duties of the office most ably until his retirement in 1935.

At the regular communication May 12, 1927, Palestine Lodge voted to sponsor a Chapter of DeMolay in Everett, sharing this reponsibility with Galilean Lodge and Bethsaida Royal Arch Chapter. The Chapter was duly instituted as Everett Chapter, Order of DeMolay, October 28, 1927, with Worshipful Charles Bruce as Chairman of the Advisory Board and Brother Albert W. Lounsbury as Dad Advisor. With various Brethren occupying these offices, the Chapter has had a particularly successful existence and is now operating with a membership of about 175, of whom 100 active members are in the Armed Services.

In the year 1928 the Lodge suffered a loss in the active line in the death of Brother George W. Frazier, Senior Deacon, on September 20th.

Worshipful Brother Chambers in his year had the rare Masonic privilege of receiving and raising his father, Brother James Chambers. Two other sons and a son-in-law of Brother James Chambers were present at the ceremonies.

At the November 9, 1929, communication, Brother James H. Shillady was elected and installed Worshipful Master. Proving that rare Masonic privileges are not so rare, at the December 12th communication, Worshipful Brother Shillady raised his father, Brother Isaac Shillady, making two similar instances in two Masonic years. Three other sons of Brother Isaac Shillady presided at the gates.

January 17, 1930, Palestine Lodge lost its first candidate, oldest living member and Senior Past Master, Right Worshipful Columbus Corey, Master of Palestine Lodge in 1879 and 1880. Brother Corey was holder of the Henry Price Medal, ninety-six years old at the time of his death and had presided in the East of Palestine Lodge with a most commendable rendition of the ritual as recently as May 10, 1928, and as Chairman of the Committee to introduce the District Deputy Grand Master on the occasion of his official visitation September 27, 1928. Masonic services for Brother Corey were held at the Universalist Church January 21, 1930, by Worshipful James H. Shillady, assisted by Rev. Brother Hugh MacCallum, Chaplain.

March 18, 1930, the Lodge suffered another important loss in the death of Brother Albert W. Lounsbury, also while serving in the office of Senior Deacon. Brother Lounsbury had been Dad Advisor of Everett Chapter, Order of DeMolay, since its Institution.

June 10, 1930, records the raising of a grandson, Brother Herbert S. Judd, Jr., by Worshipful Gustavus A. Judd. At a special communication June 19th following, The Lodge of Stirling of Maiden, with its line of officers, paid Palestine Lodge a fraternal visit and assisted in the work of the degree.

The history of Palestine Lodge and of Masonry in Everett would be incomplete without particular mention of the most familiar Masonic figure in this city for the last fifty years. Initiated in Palestine Lodge in 1887 and Master in 1897 and 1898, Worshipful Charles Bruce has been mentioned as the Chairman of the Committee whose successful efforts culminated in the erection of this Temple Building. The Temple was his all absorbing interest from its building to the time of his death, October 6, 1937.

Worshipful Brother Bruce had served the Lodge as its Treasurer from 1924 to 1934, and as its Secretary from 1934 to 1937. He had also served as Chairman of the Advisory Board, Everett Chapter, Order of DeMolay, from the Institution of the Chapter.

Worshipful Brother Elmer R. Pickering, while presiding Master, was called into the Armed Services March 13, 1941; Brother Major John McKeague was recalled to service while in office as Junior Deacon; Brother Major Willard W. Whittemore was called into service while in office as Junior Warden; Brother John G. Barnhardt entered the Navy while serving as Junior Deacon; Brother G. Lawrence Sjostedt was called into the Army while in office as Senior Warden. These Brothers and thirty-eight others from our membership are now in their country's uniform.

MEMBERSHIP

In the early years of Palestine Lodge, and for perhaps the first fifty years, this Lodge, as well as nearly all other city Lodges, was composed of a local membership. Brothers were able to go to their Lodge meetings conveniently by foot or public transportation system.

The last twenty-five years have seen a spread of the membership of this Lodge as if carried by the "Four Winds of Heaven." As this record is written, about half the membership is within a possible attendance radius; the other half is from Maine to Florida to California, with Brothers in Argentine and on the seven seas, not including those Brothers who have answered their Country's call, some of whom are in the Far East.

The numerical strength of the Lodge, starting with 765 reported by Right Worshipful Brother Corey in December, 1918, and mentioned on occasion by District Deputies at official visitations, is noted for the years immediately following:

  • 1919 — 852 members, including 96 Initiates and 100 Life Members
  • 1920 — 920 members, including 91 Initiates

  • 1921 — 1057 members, including 155 Initiates

In this Masonic year 10 regular and 61 special communications were held, of which 56 were for degree work and 5 for funeral services.

Succeeding administrations showed annual increases in membership, the net figure reaching 1206 for 1925, 1215 for 1929 and 1225 for 1931. Since this year, the depression period and other reasons have reduced the membership to 825 in 1943.

APPOINTMENTS BY GRAND MASTERS

Palestine Lodge has been honored by the selection of various of its Past Masters to represent the Grand Master in the Seventh District; Right Worshipful Columbus Corey in 1884, 1885 and 1886, by appointment of Most Worshipful Abraham H. Howland, Jr.; Right Worshipful Charles L. Purinton in 1911 and 1912, by appointment of Most Worshipful Dana J. Flanders and Most Worshipful Everett C. Benton; Right Worshipful Willard P. Lombard, Senior Grand Deacon in 1926 and Deputy for the Seventh Maiden Masonic District in 1927-1928, by appointment of Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson; Right Worshipful John A. Corliss, for the Seventh Melrose Masonic District in 1933-1934, by appointment of Most Worshipful Curtis Chipman; Right Worshipful Harry B. Tabor, member of Palestine Lodge, Charter Member and Past Master of Galilean Lodge, appointed for the Maiden Seventh Masonic District in 1941 and 1942 by Most Worshipful Albert A. Schaefer.

AWARDS BY GRAND LODGE

Henry Price Medals

  • R. W. Columbus Corey, May 17, 1917, by M. W. Leon M. Abbott
  • Bro. George F. Hobbs, June 27, 1918, by M. W. Leon M. Abbott
  • Wor. Gustavus A. Judd, November 12, 1925, by R.W. Edgar O. Dewey
  • Wor. George E. Hunt, member of Palestine Lodge for 36 years, Past Master of Galilean Lodge, by M.W. Albert A. Schaefer

Veteran's Medals

  • Bro. Joel C. Partridge, Sept. 29, 1927, by R.W. Fred L. Putnam
  • Wor. George W. Whittemore, Sept. 29, 1927, by R.W. Fred L, Putnam
  • Wor. Gustavus A. Judd, in 1928, by R.W. Charles M. Proctor
  • Wor. Thomas Milligan, Oct. 25, 1934, by R.W. John A. Corliss
  • Bro. Frank O. Whittier, May 12, 1938, by R.W. Edward P. Wells
  • Bro. James Bean in 1938, by Wm. L. Hovis, Inspector in Harding Lodge No. 584, Los Angeles, California
  • Bro. Thomas J. Boynton and Wor. Alton A. Jackson, May 11, 1939, by R.W. Roy A. Hovey
  • Bro. Joseph W. Philbrick, Bro. Henry R. Davis, Bro. George A. Ljbby, October 10, 1940, by R. W. Roy A- Hovey
  • Bro. Archibald Macauley, November 13, 1941, by R.W. Ernest R. Potter
  • Wor. George E. Hunt, Bro. Albert G. Freeman, May 7, 1942, by M.W. Albert A. Schaefer

  • Bro. Charles B. Ladd
, Bro. Charles A. Gleason, Bro. Fred E. Bean, Bro. Calvin H. Currier, Bro. James R. Hutton, February 11, 1943, by R.W. Howard G.
INSTALLATIONS BY NOTABLE MASONS FROM OTHER LODGES
  • Wor. George A. F. Perry, November, 1921, by his uncle, Worshipful Nathaniel W. Lillie, Past Master, John Abbot Lodge, Somerville
  • Wor. Willard P. Lombard, November 9, 1922, by his Law Associate, R.W. Willis W. Stover, Past District Deputy Grand Master of the 3rd Masonic District
  • Wor. John A. Corliss, November 11, 1926, by R.W. Olin D. Dickerman, Past District Deputy Grand Master of the 29th Masonic District, Past Junior Grand Warden, and his Associate in Military Activities in previous years.
  • Wor. George Havey, November 10, 1927, by R.W. Edgar O. Dewey, Past District Deputy Grand Master of the 7th Masonic District and a companion Spanish War Veteran
  • Wor. Preston D. Chambers, November 8, 1928, by R.W. Charles M. Proctor, District Deputy Grand Master of the 7th Masonic District, assisted by a suite of presiding and Past Masters of the District
TRADITIONS OF PALESTINE LODGE

For many years the dress of the official line in Palestine Lodge has been distinctive, at least among Lodges in this and nearby districts. Previous to 1938 the dress was tail coats with black waistcoats and black ties. Beginning with 1938 the dress was changed to white waistcoats with white ties. The observance of practices approved by time and experience is appropriate in the Craft, and in this respect the Lodge has followed a conservative program.

The presentation of a Past Master's Jewel and a Past Master's Apron to a retiring Master is usual. The jewel has thus been presented in Palestine Lodge. In more recent years the apron has been presented to the incoming Master at his installation, that he might be properly clothed when representing the Lodge on the occasion of attendance at any other Lodge.

In 1926 the practice was adopted of presenting each candidate at the conclusion of his Master Mason Degree with a Masonic Bible, the Great Light in Masonry. The Bible is presented by the Chaplain and provides a particularly appropriate souvenir of an important Masonic event. Successive Masters since have continued this practice.

In the year 1938 the practice was adopted of sending to each member of the Lodge a birthday card on the Brother's anniversary. This has also been continued by Masters since.

As the years increase upon us, may we continue to use the common gavel and the other working tools of our Craft "to fit our minds as living stones, for that spiritual building, that house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."

CENTENARY HISTORY, NOVEMBER 1968

From Proceedings, Page 1968-242:

By Worshipful Cecil Thomson.

The first fifty years of Palestine Lodge, A. F. & A. M., were recorded by Right Worshipful Columbus Corey, a man well-skilled in the knowledge of the Lodge and the events that formed its earliest days. He was, according to the records, the first candidate to be voted on at the first Regular Communication held on January 14, 1869. It was in a brick building on the corner of Main Street and Baldwin Avenue that a group of Masons, who lived in South Maiden, met socially to study their lectures and perfect themselves in their Masonic life. The building was known as Barney's Perfumery and reports indicate that many happy and instructive evenings were spent by the Brothers.

At a meeting held September 25, 1868, a committee of three Master Masons, all members of Mount Vernon Lodge, A. F. & A. M., of Maiden, Massachusetts, were chosen to prepare and present to Mount Vernon Lodge a petition asking permission to form a Lodge in what was then known as South Malden. The committee did their work well and Mount Vernon Lodge was pleased to grant permission, with the suggestion that the petition to The Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts bear the names of all 14 members of Mount Vernon Lodge to be Charter Members, and that the name of the new Lodge be Palestine Lodge, A. F. & A. M.

Mount Vernon Lodge offered the use of their facilities for meetings, while the new Lodge met under dispensation. However, Palestine Lodge was able to obtain quarters of its own in South Malden, later known as Everett, Massachusetts.

The dispensation was granted on December 8, 1868 by Most Worshipful Charles C. Dame, Grand Master, and the first Regular Communication was held on January 14, 1869, with Worshipful George W. Pierce as Master of the Lodge. They met in Engine House Hall on the site now occupied by the Everett Police Department.

The Charter for Palestine Lodge, A. F. & A. M., was granted December 8, 1869. On December 29, 1869, the Lodge met at Engine House Hall by order of Most Worshipful William Sewall Gardner, Grand Master, for the purpose of being constituted, consecrated and dedicated as Palestine Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and also for the installation of Officers with twenty-eight members in attendance. The Officers were the same as those who served under the dispensation.

The need of a building, both for their own use and for Town purposes, was apparent, and the action of the Town in postponing the erection of a Town Hall suggested the idea of erecting a building suitable both for Town and Lodge purposes. As a result, an organization called the Everett Associates was formed by the Lodge, and work on the building of the Masonic Building, at the corner of Broadway and Chelsea Streets, was commenced in October, 1870, and enlarged in 1872. The Lodge moved to their new hall on February 8, 1871.

On June 11, 1872, the apartments were truly dedicated to the purposes of Masonry by Most Worshipful Sereno D. Nickerson, Grand Master, and it is in the records that the Lodge consisted of but fifty-two members and on that group rested a debt of $3,000.00. In December, 1892, the membership of Palestine Lodge was 12+.

On January 24, 1908, the Masonic Building was destroyed by fire and with it, the entire furnishings, regalia and treasures of the Lodge were lost with the exception of the records, which were kept in a safe by Worshipful Edwin B. Noyes. Palestine Lodge was now without a home, but Converse Lodge, A.F. & A.M., offered the use of their Lodge room and regalia in Maiden, Massachusetts.

The Everett Associates, later known as The Palestine Masonic Association, which is still functioning, began their work again on a new building at 538 Broadway, Everett, which we still occupy. The Associates were ably assisted by funds furnished by the Brethren, money from Palestine Lodge and assistance from many Eastern Star ladies in Everett. The corner-stone was placed on October 11, 1910 and on October 11, 1911, the first meeting was held in our new home.

The Temple was dedicated by Most Worshipful [http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMFlanders Dana J. Flanders, Grand Master, with a lar^c suite of Grand Lodge Officers, 290 members and 48 visitors being present. With the increase in membership and the dedication of the members, along with wise supervision, the last mortgage note was paid in 1923 during the year Right Worshipful Willard P. Lombard served as Master of Palestine Lodge. The Lodge held all the shares of stock in the Palestine Masonic Association and therefore became the owner of the Temple and grounds free and clear of all encumbrances.

Suitable celebrations were observed for the 25th, 50th and 75th anniversaries of our Lodge and before relating events of the past 25 years, we shall touch lightly on the first 75 years. The Lodge has, during its lifetime, had a great part in helping to make Everett a real good City to live in.

Many of its early members held important positions in the City government and many business houses were owned by prominent members of the Craft. Right Worshipful Columbus Corey held a position at City Hall until the time he passed away. Right Worshipful Willard P. Lombard, our senior Past Master, served as City Solicitor in 1918 and was the youngest man to ever serve in that capacity.

Brother James Chambers, a member of Palestine Lodge and father of Right Worshipful Preston D. Chambers, Master in 1929, and Worshipful Charles Bruce, Master in 1897-1898, served as Mayor of Everett. Several other members have left their good names and records in Everett City Hall.

Brother Dudley Perkins Bailey, a member of Palestine Lodge, wrote the memorable Everett Souvenir embracing the history of the Town of Everett and Palestine in 1892. Brother Bailey was a very prominent State Legislator. Brother William E. Weeks served the City as Mayor during World War I. Many members of Palestine Lodge served in branches of the service in both World Wars and their names can be found on the Rolls of Honor in the City.

The 50th anniversary was held December 8, 1918 with services at the First Baptist Church, returning to the Temple for a social hour and refreshments. This was followed the next night with 300 members present at a dinner in the First Methodist Church, followed by a meeting at the Temple with 400 members in attendance. Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott, Grand Master, delivered a most stirring address. Many of the Brothers who had returned from Military Service were greeted by the assembled group and Palestine Lodge was a proud Lodge that night according to all reports.

In 1921 a group, formed as a committee, reported on the advisability of forming a new Lodge in Everett and thus Galilean Lodge, A. F. & A. M., was born. Its first group of Officers were mostly members of Palestine Lodge. It is in the records of Palestine Lodge that on October 11, 1923, Galilean Lodge paid a Fraternal Visit and assisted in the work of the evening. Worshipful David S. Huey, Master of Galilean Lodge, was very happy to inform all present that all of his Officers, with one exception, were members of Palestine Lodge.

The 75th anniversary was celebrated with Most Worshipful Albert A. Schaefer, Grand Master, and a distinguished group of Masons from Grand Lodge opening their Lodge in an adjoining apartment. The procession was escorted by a group of prominent Masons from our 7th Masonic District to the Lodge room. Palestine Lodge greeted them with Worshipful George M. Poor in the East. During the evening, the history of 75 years of the life of the Lodge was read by Right Worshipful John A. Corliss and it was most interesting as it gave so much of our early history. Many of the distinguished Masons present were introduced and all spoke of happy memories of their associations with Palestine Lodge. Grand Lodge and Palestine Lodge were closed in Ample Form by the Grand Master at 10:15 p. m.

The happy occasion was saddened only by the thoughts that many members could not be with us on this occasion because they were serving their country in a devastating war. Three Officers of our Lodge returned after the war and continued as Line Officers who served as Master of Palestine Lodge. Many of our members served with distinction and we were glad to have them back with us to continue the fine fellowship in the Lodge.

During a number of years we have been very high on the list of large Lodges in the State and we have lots of pride in the accomplishments of the Lodge and its members.

Our largest total membership was in 1931 when we had 1225 members. However, the membership dropped to 843 in 1943 due to deaths, demits and other reasons along with the depression, but, most of all because of the fact that many Everett people moved to the suburbs during that period.

In 19S1 a new Masonic Lodge was formed in Everett with the help of Galilean Lodge and Palestine Lodge and is known as Canaan Lodge, A. F. & A. M. The first Master of the new Lodge was Right Worshipful Harry B. Tabor followed by Worshipful Mortimer W. Schroeder and then by Worshipful Albert F. Ensor, after which the Lodge had its own members as Officers. Right Worshipful Harry B. Tabor, Past Master of Galilean Lodge, and Worshipful Mortimer W. Schroeder are members of Palestine Lodge and Worshipful Albert F. Ensor is a Past Master of Galilean Lodge. Canaan Lodge has prospered and we of Palestine Lodge arc very happy in our association with the members of that fine Lodge.

During our 75th anniversary year, Worshipful Brother George M. Poor gave over one evening to the Senior Warden, Brother Cecil Thomson, to do with as he pleased. It being a Second Degree plans were made by Brother Thomson, along with the help of the Secretary, Worshipful Wallace E. Chute, to honor the older members of Palestine Lodge.

Cards were sent to all members with a minimum of thirty years of membership inviting them to come to Lodge on April 13, 1944 to meet with the new and younger members. Thirty-eight Old Timers responded and the total present that night was 81 members and 19 visitors. The evening was such a great success that each year since 1944 the succeeding Masters of Palestine Lodge have set aside one night in their year as Old Timers Night and have asked Worshipful Cecil Thomson to take charge of the evening after the work has been completed on the Second Degree.

The festivity begins with the calling of the roll of the Old Timers who form a line starting at the Secretary's desk continuing around the Altar and then to the Treasurer's desk. The fifty or more than fifty-year members, as Veterans, form a line east of the Altar. White carnations are pinned on the lapels of each Old Timer and the holders of Veteran's medals receive a red rose bud, after which each one is greeted by the Master and the District Deputy Grand Master, if present.

After the Chairman has presented the group to the Master as "His Old Timers", the Master then presents the group to the assembled younger members. One stanza of "Auld Lang Syne" is sung by all and the Old Timers return to their seats. Many happy memories are reflected each evening as Brothers greet Brothers knowing that it will be another year before they meet again.

The 25th Anniversary of our first Old Timers Night was celebrated on May 9, 1968, with Worshipful George W. Betts in the East. The meetings have been enjoyed because it not only brings out the older members, but also, the Past Masters and the members who like to meet with those whom they do not see at other meetings. The record number of Old Timers present on one night was 110 in 1951.

Palestine Lodge has been very fortunate in having a fine Service Committee who help out at the meetings with refreshments and on occasion prepare and serve dinners. This committee, under the direction of Brother Herman W. Kautz, did such a fine job that during the year that Worshipful Philip E. Coyle, Jr., served as Master, a night was set apart when the members of the committee were guests of the Lodge at a dinner prepared and served by the Officers of the Lodge.

After the dinner, the Service Committee conducted the work of the Second Degree with Worshipful Charles R. Flagg and Worshipful Mortimer Wr. Schroeder serving in the East. The members of the committee served in all stations of the Lodge and it was an evening enjoyed by all present. This Service Committee draws its members from the Everett Square and Compass Club which meets in our Temple.

SOME OF THE HIGHLIGHTS OF PALESTINE LODGE'S PAST

Four of its Past Masters have served as Master of The 35th Lodge of Instruction composed of the Lodges in the 7th Maiden and 7th Melrose Districts of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts. They are:

  • Worshipful James H. Shillady, 1931-1932
  • Right Worshipful Kenneth G. Swindell, 1945-1946
  • Worshipful Cecil Thomson, 1949-1950
  • Worshipful Henri B. Turner, 1960-1961

Brother Thomas Jefferson Boynton served as United States Attorney for the District of Massachusetts during World War I.

Worshipful George E. M. Perham was appointed Senior Grand Deacon by Most Worshipful Whitfield W. Johnson, Grand Master.

Worshipful Henri B. Turner was appointed Grand Pursuivant by Most Worshipful A. Neill Osgood, Grand Master, on the recommendation of Right Worshipful Kenneth G. Swindell.

Worshipful Richard L. Lounsbury, who served as Master in 1943, raised two of his brothers, Donald A. and Albert W. Lounsbury, and was assisted by their uncle, Brother Richard Brison.

On February 10, 1952, the Reverend Brother, Joseph A. Stevenson, Pastor of the First Methodist Church, was honored on the occasion of his 10th anniversary as a Master Mason. A dinner was held on the occasion, after which a Divine Service was held, and the Master of Palestine Lodge, A. F. & A. M., preached the sermon much to the pleasure of Reverend Brother Stevenson.

On November 12, 1953, Right Worshipful Kenneth C. Swindell raised his son, William, with the Past Masters of 1940 in the 7th District assisting.

On April 12, 1951, we had 22 of the living Past Masters present at Past Masters night.

On February 10, 1944, eleven Brothers from the U. S. Coast Guard attended as guests on Military night. Worshipful John K. Olsen raised two of his sons in Palestine Lodge and at the present time one of the sons is serving as Junior Deacon. The sons mark the fourth generation in our Lodge.

Brother Eugene H. Andrews of Palestine Lodge, a noted writer on the history of the Town of Pembroke, Massachusetts, went back in his writing to the days when "Mattakeesett and Maquan" Indian Tribes occupied and ruled the area around southeastern Massachusetts.

On May 15, 1944, a reception was held honoring Right Worshipful Willard P. Lombard on his election as Illustrious Potentate of Aleppo Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. Right Worshipful Willard P. Lombard was also elected an Honorary 33rd Degree Mason by the Supreme Council of the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, Scottish Rite Bodies.

Worshipful Mortimer W. Schroeder was elected Eminent Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery of Knights Templar and the Appendant Orders of Massachusetts and Rhode Island in 1955. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal by the Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts and has received the York Grand Cross of Honour.

Brother Fred W. Johnstone demitted from Palestine Lodge on December 11, 1919, when his work took him to Rhode Island. He affiliated with St. John's Lodge No. 1 in Newport, Rhode Island, and served as its Master in 1923. In 1940, he was appointed Grand Marshal. He served as District Deputy Grand Master for 1944 and 1945. lie was elected Senior Grand Warden in 1950. In 1951 he was elected Deputy Grand Master and was elected Grand Master of Masons of the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island in 1952. We in Palestine Lodge are very proud of this Brother. Most Worshipful Brother Johnstone, Past Grand Master of Rhode Island, received his Veteran's Medal in 1961.

Palestine Lodge wishes it could give out more of the accomplishments of its members scattered throughout our country.

The Grand Lodge of Masons of Massachusetts has honored Palestine Lodge on many occasions, notably:

  • Right Worshipful Columbus Corey, D.D.G.M. 1884, 1885 and 1886
  • Right Worshipful Charles L. Purinton, D.D.G.M. 1911 and 1912
  • Right Worshipful Willard P. Lombard, Senior Grand Deacon 1926, District Deputy Grand Master 1927 and 1928. He later served as Deputy Grand Master by appointment of Most Worshipful Whitfield W. Johnson, Grand Master, in 1954; thus he became our first Permanent Member of Grand Lodge. He also was awarded the coveted Henry Price Medal by the Grand Master in 1954.
  • Right Worshipful John A. Corliss, D. D. G. M. 1933 and 1934.
  • Right Worshipful Preston D. Chambers, D. D. G. M. 1947 and 1948.
  • Right Worshipful Kenneth G. Swindell, D. D. G. M. 1959 and I960. In 1965 he was elected Junior Grand Warden. This occasion provided Palestine Lodge with two permanent members of Grand Lodge. Right Worshipful Kenneth G. Swindell was also awarded the coveted Henry Price Medal by Most Worshipful A. Neil! Osgood, Grand Master.
  • Right Worshipful Harry B. Tabor, who served Galilean Lodge as Master and District Deputy Grand Master, Maiden 7th District in 1941 and 1942, was elected Junior Grand Warden in 1957. He was also a member of Palestine Lodge.
  • Worshipful George E. Hunt, Past Master of Galilean Lodge and a member of Palestine Lodge for 36 years, was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for his many contributions to Masonry.

It should be of special interest to note that Worshipful Uustavus A. Judd, Master of Palestine Lodge in 1905 and 1906, was a member of the Craft for 75 years before joining the Celestial Lodge above.

Palestine Lodge has been a loyal supporter of Everett Chapter, Order of DeMolay, since it was first sponsored by the Masonic Bodies of Everett. Brother Albert W. Lounsbury, who passed away at the time he was Senior Deacon of Palestine Lodge, was appointed the first Dad Advisor of Everett Chapter. He laid a fine foundation and was a great source of inspiration to all associated with the work of the Chapter. He was succeeded by Brother William C. Gass.

Other members of Palestine Lodge, as well as some from Galilean Lodge, have served as Dad Advisors as well as on the Advisory Board. Some of the young men who later joined Palestine Lodge and served as Dad Advisors are: Worshipful Brothers James M. Love, John K. Olsen, Richard L. Lounsbury and Brothers Richard Bond and George P. Hough.

Others from our Lodge have served as Dads and later on the Advisory Board, namely: Worshipful Brothers Harold M. Wetherbee, Cecil Thomson, Stanley L. Whittemore, Henri B. Turner and Brother Chester Whittemore. Some of the members of Palestine Lodge who served on the Advisory Board for a great many years are: Right Worshipful John A. Corliss, Right Worshipful Harry B. Tabor, Worshipful James M. Love, Brother Cleveland Shcppard and Brother James W. Stansbury.

Brother Sheppard was one of the early Master Councillors of Everett Chapter and is an active Legion of Honor member.

Our Lodge has also shared in the success of Everett Assembly, Order of Rainbow for Girls. Worshipful James Love, father of Worshipful James M. Love, served as Dad of that Order for many years.

Worshipful Hermann F. Wood and Worshipful Wallace E. Chute served Palestine Lodge faithfully as Secretary for many years.

In November of 1967, Palestine Lodge was saddened by the passing of Brother Robert L. MacCrcgory, who was only 47 years old and had served Palestine Lodge as Secretary since 1960. His passing grieved many of the Brethren and his words of advice are missed by many of the Brethren.

Palestine Lodge has joined with Galilean and Canaan Lodges for the last three years in a Church Service after which we all join in a friendly and Brotherly Meeting at Parlin Junior High School along with the Everett Council of Knights of Columbus. After a breakfast, many notable Masons and Knights are introduced, who speak briefly on the friendly association between the members present. It is hoped that these gatherings will continue to help us find new and lasting friendships.

Looking back over 100 years of accomplishments with many days of Friendship and Brotherly Love among our members, we stand on the threshold of another period in which it is the hope of the members of Palestine Lodge that the lessons we have learned during our first 100 years may shine as a beacon of light during the days, months and years ahead.

125TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MAY 1994

From Proceedings, Page 1994-82:

The following is a summary of remarks, reports and records made over the past 125 years by Past Masters and Secretaries of Palestine Lodge. Copies of the previous reports are attached. This report has been prepared by Wor. Thomas A. Joyce and presented in short form to the Lodge at its 125th celebration on May 14, 1994.

On September 25, 1868 a committee of three members of Mount Vernon Lodge of Maiden was formed to prepare a petition to present to The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts asking permission to form a new Lodge in South Malden. The Grand Lodge granted dispensation on December 8, 1868.

On January 14, 1869, Palestine Lodge held its first regular communication with Wor George W. Pierce presiding in the East. The meeting was held in Engine House Hall on the site of the future Central Police Station which has since been sold to a private developer. Part of the business of the evening was to vote on the application of R. W. Columbus Corey who later wrote the history of the Lodge over its first 50 years.

The first meeting under the Charter which was granted on December 8, 1869 was held on December 29, 1869 for the Constitution of Palestine Lodge.

The first "Masonic Building" in Everett was of wood construction in Everett Square built by a corporation of Everett Masons known as "Everett Associates" The first meeting in that building was on February 9, 1871. On January 24, 1908 the building and all of its contents except the Lodge records was destroyed by a fire. The only other things recovered were the compasses and four brass knockers which were mounted on the doors of the new building when completed.

On May 3, 1909 the Palestine Masonic Association (as it is known today) held its first meeting, organized, adopted by-laws and started work on plans to build a new temple for Palestine Lodge to meet in. Construction started on June 11, 1910 and on October 8, 1910 the cornerstone of the Masonic Temple at 538 Broadway was laid by the Most Worshipful Grand Master of Massachusetts - in the rain. On January 24, 1911 (exactly three years after the fire) and eight months after the start of construction, the first meeting was held in the new building with 290 members and 48 visitors present.

December 9, 1918 - The fiftieth anniversary of the Lodge was celebrated and R.W. Corey presented his report of the history of the Lodge for its first 50 years.

December 9,1943 - R.W. John A. Corliss presented a history of the Lodge at the Seventy-fifth Anniversary of the Institution of Palestine Lodge.

November 11, 1968 - Worshipful Cecil Thomson presented a 100 year history of Palestine Lodge A.F. & A.M. at the One Hundredth Anniversary Special Communication.

The following is a brief summary of important events that have transpired since 1968.

1968-1969 - Wor. Joseph F. Dresser

1968 was the year of the one-hundredth anniversary celebration. Several events were planned for the year. On October 20, 1968 a Masonic Sunday Observance was held at the Glendale Methodist Church which was attended by a host of masons representing the various lodges and bodies of the Melrose and Maiden Seventh Masonic Districts. The Service followed a breakfast at the Temple on Broadway and a parade from Pleasant Street to the Church lead by the Bluebell Highlanders of Saugus.

On November 11,1968 a Special Communication of Palestine Lodge was held at the Masonic Temple on Broadway for the purpose of observing the One Hundredth Anniversary. That event was attended by Most Worshipful Thomas A. Booth, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts.

On April 8, 1969 the 100th Anniversary Ball was held at the Montvale Plaza in Stoneham, MA with a roast beef dinner and dancing till midnight.

On May 24, 1969 the Lodge held its 2250th Communication in Carroll Lodge No.57, Freedom, NH under special dispensation from both the Grand Lodges of New Hampshire and Massachusetts conferring the Master Mason Degree according to Massachusetts Ritual. There was a standing ovation for Wor. Joseph Dresser for his outstanding work of the evening.

1969-1970 - Wor. George D. Baldwin

January 8, 1970 - R. W. Willard P. Lombard and Bro. Richard Cleveland Sheppard were elected Honorary Members of Palestine Lodge.

May 14, 1970-An application for affiliation from Orlando Rae Goodwin, a member of Galilean Lodge was read and referred to committee. Rae later advanced to become Master of Palestine Lodge and subsequently became District Deputy Grand Master of the Melrose 7th Masonic District.

1970-1971 - Wor. Donald L. King

On January 14, 1971, R.W. Philip Edward Coyle, Jr., Past Master of Palestine Lodge, was escorted into the Lodge for his very first Fraternal Visitation and was presented his District Deputy Grand Master's Jewel by R. W. Kenneth G. Swindell.

1971-1972 - Wor. John N. Olsen

On April 13, 1972 Wor. John N. Olsen presented a Plaque to Wor. Cecil Thomson for outstanding service to Palestine Lodge as chairman of OLD TIMERS NITE for over 25 years.

1972-1973 - Wor. James R. Griffith
1974 - Wor. Jesse C. Blackmon

On October 11, 1973 a special committee, chaired by Wor. Henri B. Turner, recommended that the Past Master's Jewel of Palestine's first Master (Wor. George W. Pierce) become part of the permanent property of the Lodge and be disposed of only by a majority vote of the Lodge. Unfortunately at an unknown time after that, the safe where the jewel was kept was broken into, the jewel removed and never seen since. The theft was discovered and reported to the lodge on October 11, 1979.

May 9, 1974 - the District Deputy Grand Master, R. W. Edward P. Hamilton, presented a plaque to R. W. Willard P. Lombard - signed by Most Worshipful Donald Warren Vose - as a testimony of his having been a Past Master of Palestine Lodge for over 50 years.

1975 - Wor. William Strong

On Feb 16, 1975 a Masonic Service was held for R.W. Kenneth G. Swindell, who, among many other activities was a Past Master of Palestine Lodge, a Past Junior Grand Warden of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Massachusetts and Secretary of the Lodge for nine years until his passing.

1976 - Wor. David D. Frizzell
1977 - Wor. Donald F. Libby
1978 - Wor. David I. Westerman

On February 9, 1978, Palestine Lodge's regular communication was canceled with special dispensation from the Grand Master because of the "Blizzard of 78". This is the first and only time that anything like this was ever entered in the Lodge records. Boston recorded about 30 inches of snow over a 36 hour period. The governor of the State closed all roads and businesses for about week.

1979 - Rt. Wor. Orlando Rae Goodwin
1980 - Wor. Thomas A. Joyce 1981 - Wor. Thomas M. Frederick

During the year of Wor. Thomas M. Frederick, three memoriams were observed, all inadvertently for the same member!!

On September 10, 1981 Brother Charles Swan reported that the Palestine Masonic Association had decided to close the Masonic Temple on Broadway due to the fact that there was not enough money to operate the building or to heat it. The building was scheduled to be closed on October 31, 1981.

After lengthy discussion on October 8. 1981 on a motion by Wor. George Betts, the Lodge voted to move its meeting place to the Odd Fellows Hall on Vernal Street.

1982 - Wor. Charles R. Swan
1983 - Wor. Loren A. Frizzell

On September 6,1983 the old Masonic Temple at 538 Broadway was sold. The proceeds from the sale have been duly invested and it is the sincere hope of many members that Palestine Lodge will someday have its own Temple.

1984 - Wor. Walter M. Russ
1985-1986 - Wor. Robert J. Garbarino

On February 18, 1985 R.W. Orlando Rae Goodwin made his first visitation as District Deputy Grand Master to Palestine Lodge. Wor. James Griffith, D. D. G. M. and Wor. Thomas A. Joyce, D. D. G. S. presented him with his D. D. G. M. Jewel and Wor. Lester Tuck, Master of Galilean Lodge presented Rae with his Top Hat.

1987 - Wor. Charles R. Swan
1988 - Wor. John R. Gear
1989 - Wor. Joseph P Westerman

On November 21, 1988 Bro William R Frederick Jr. moved that the Lodge provide a charitable Children's Christmas Party and that any funds collected be used for that purpose only, keeping any unencumbered funds for the following year. The annual children's party has been a huge success every year since that time and the Lodge owes Wor. Frederick a special thanks for his continuing efforts.

1990 - Wor. Robert B. Reed
1991-1992 - Wor. William R. Frederick

On October 3, 1992 Wor. David I. Westerman retired from the office of Secretary of Palestine Lodge after serving in that capacity for 14 years since September 16, 1968.

1993-1994 - Wor. Joseph C. Delfavero

Several years ago while I was Treasurer of Palestine Lodge, Wor. Cecil Thomson presented me with a package of items to be saved until the 125th anniversary. That package contained a copy of his report at the 100th anniversary along with several mementos that he had collected. The items are here tonight for anyone to examine.

A personal note:

Wor. David D. Frizzell, who is here tonight, was raised in Palestine Lodge on Dec 12, 1968, exactly 100 years from the Dispensation to Organize Palestine Lodge. On January 14, 1969, the 100th anniversary of the first meeting of the Lodge, I was voted to receive the degrees in Palestine Lodge. Last evening at dinner, Wor. Brother Dresser made it quite clear to us that based upon these facts, neither one of us qualify for any reduction in dues.

On September 1, 1968 there were 604 members of Palestine Lodge.
On September 1, 1993 there were 186 members of Palestine Lodge.
At this writing there are 27 living Past Masters of Palestine Lodge.

OTHER

  • 1883 (Petition to define jurisdiction; 1883-262, 1883-271)
  • 1916 (Jurisdictional appeal, 1916-20)

EVENTS

HALL DEDICATION, JUNE 1872

From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXXI, No. 9, July 1872, Page 267:

Palestine Lodge of Everett, though ranking among the youngest in the jurisdiction, and located in one of the latest organized towns in the Commonwealth, and consequently with a comparatively limited population, has nobly manifested its energy and enterprise in providing for its future accommodation, one of the prettiest masonic halls in the immediate vicinity of the city. All the preliminary arrangements having been completed, it was appropriately dedicated to the purposes of Masonry (and we hope to none others) by the M. W. Grand Lodge on the evening of the 11th of June last. The ceremonies were performed by M. W. Grand Master Nickerson in person, with the assistance of the following Grand Officers: —

At the conclusion of the ceremonies of Dedication, the Grand Master addressed the assembly, consisting of about one hundred and fifty, including the ladies and invited guests, on the history and objects of the fraternity. The address was well adapted to the occasion, and was listened to with attention by the hearers.

At the conclusion of the address, and the singing of (he closing hymn, a rich and beautiful banner was borne into the hall by a young lad, accompanied by Miss Nellie T. Corey, a pupil of the High School, attended by a young lady friend. On reaching the East, Miss Corey stepped forward, and in a fine tone of voice and almost faultless accent presented the banner to the "W. Master in the following address:

Worshipful Master:

As a Mason's daughter, permit me in behalf of the many wives, mothers, sisters and daughters of the members of the masonic fraternity of this town to extend to you and the officers and members of Palestine Lodge, our kind thanks for the privilege we enjoy this evening in being present with you — and we trust by our presence to assure you that you may expect encouragement from us in behalf of the Masonic cause, founded on the broad principles of Truth and Christianity — and it gives me great pleasure in being intrusted with an important mission to you at this time, and to request that you will accept this banner, fraught with the kindest wishes, and bearing the emblematic, unbroken symbol of Faith, Hope and Charity. May your Faith be upheld by that blessed Hope which shall illumine your path through life, to enable you to cherish and cultivate that noblest of christian duties, Charity; and as years roll on, and your successors become guardians of this our gift, may the motto here emblazoned never fail to remind them of the necessity of upholding their Faith in God, Hope in immortality, and Chanty to all mankind. Allow me to express. the hope that every member of Palestine Lodge will so live, that the world may be assured of the goodness of Masonry, that its laws are reason and equity, its principles benevolence and love, and its religion purity and truth. Its intention is peace on earth and its disposition good will towards men.

Let us all so live that when cut down by the all devouring scythe of time, we may be gathered into that Celestial Lodge above where the Supreme Architect of the Universe presides.

The banner was received by the "W. Master of the Lodge, Bro. Geo. W. Pierce, in the following neat and felicitous address.

Miss Corey:

It is with feelings of sincere pleasure, that I receive from your hands this beautiful gift. Let me assure you and the donors of this elegant banner, that the members of Palestine Lodge fully appreciate their kindness.

Not for its intrinsic value alone do we prize the gift, but as expressing the good will and sympathy which our lady friends have toward us and our institution.

With the three leading principles Faith, Hope and Charity, as our guide, and governed by the Tenets of our profession, we shall " so walk in our several stations before God and man, "as never to give you cause to regret your kindness, or so conduct as to lose your good opinion of the institution. Again let me thank the Ladies of this town for their kindness, and assure them that it will ever be remembered as one of those bright spots that illumine man's path.

The company then proceeded to the lower hall where a collation was partaken of, and brief congratulatory speeches made by Grand Master Nickerson, Rev. Charles H. Titus, Dr. Winslow Lewis, C. W. Moore, Tracy P. Cheever, and others. The Grand Lodge then retired, leaving the Brethren and their ladies to the further enjoyment of the occasion by themselves.

20TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, DECEMBER 1889

From Liberal Freemason, Vol. XIII, No. 9, December 1889, Page 287:

A brilliant and delightful entertainment was that which Palestine Lodge of Everett, provided for its members and their ladies, on the occasion of their twentieth anniversary, December 10, 1889.

Their beautiful lodge-room was thronged to the doors, labor was laid aside, and refreshment, both physical and mental, occupied the hours. The exercises began at precisely a quarter to eight P. M. These consisted of:

  • Overture;
  • Vocal March, by Temple Quartette;
  • Reading;
  • Piccolo Solo;
  • Address, by Rev. R. Perry Bush;
  • Soiree Magique, by Wor. Bro. Thomas Waterman.

The doctor has become skilful in this line, in which he mystified and pleased the audience by "Experiments with Currency," "The Lightning Express," "Where Did You Get That Hat?" "Cartomancy," and "Three Specialties in Spiritism."

The singing of the Temple Quartette was unusually virile and thrilling, and secured numerous encores. The reading of Miss Grace E. Goudey, a little miss of about twelve years, was remarkable for its ease, force and emphasis. The orchestra discoursed light and pleasing music; and Dr. Thomas Waterman, of Boston, gave several of his unique sleight-of-hand illusions. Money was coined from the air in a manner which would have astonished the director of the United States Mint, about two bushels of various articles (such as baby clothes, candies, flowers, etc.) were extracted in some inexplicable way from the empty hat of one of the audience. A pack of playing cards were caused to perform some marvellous antics, and the wonders of modern spiritualism were shown by the doctor to be simply conjuring tricks. Rev. R. Perry Bush made a pleasing address, sketching briefly the history of the lodge and its membership from the date of its charter until the present time.

The entertainment was followed by an elegant collation in the
banquet hall, and the remainder of the evening was devoted to
dancing until the wee sma' hours warned the members that home is
a pretty good place after all.

The executive committee consisted of W. Bros. Geo. W. Whittemore, Columbus Corey, Chas. E. Atwood, Rev. Bro. R. Perry Bush, and Bros. T. A. Smith, E. A. Maxwell, Thos. Leavitt, N. A. Dill, Frank O. Whittier and Chas. Bruce.

GRAND MASTER VISIT, JUNE 1909

From New England Craftsman, Vol. IV, No. 10, July 1909, Page 375:

Palestine Lodge of Everett, Mass., holds its meetings in the Masonic building of Malden, their own building having been destroyed by fir some months ago. Its last meeting, Thursday, June 10th, was made an occasion for showing honor to the past masters of the lodge who were invited to occupy the officers chairs during the work. It was a remarkably pleasant meeting, about 200 members of the fraternity were present. The special guest was Grand Master Dana J. Flanders.

Speeches were made by Grand Master Flanders, Past Grand Master J. Albert Blake and Grand Warden Allen T. Treadway. The new Masonic Home was the inspiring subject of their remarks.

CORNER STONE LAYING, OCTOBER 1910

From New England Craftsman, Vol. VI, No. 2, November 1910, Page 65:

The corner-stone of the new Masonic Temple in Everett. Mass., was laid with appropriate exercises Saturday afternoon, Octoher 8. The Temple is being built by Palestine lodge. Albert W. Lewis, the only living charter member of the lodge which was chartered in 1868, was present and took part in the exercises.

Guests assembled with 140 members of Palestine Lodge in the First Universalist Church of Everett, and marched thence to the Temple on Broadway. Prayer was offered by the Rev. R. Perry Bush, Grand Chaplain, of Chelsea. Dana J. Flanders, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, placed the box in position, containing Masonic and city documents, coins and copies of Boston newspapers. Those who used the trowel were Grand Master Flanders, who made the address of the afternoon; Worshipful Master Fred A. Robertson of Palestine Lodge; Mr. Lewis and all the living Past Masters of Palestine Lodge.

After the exercises, luncheon was served in the First Universalist Church, where Rev. Br. Bush extended the greetings of the Grand Lodge.

The new Temple will be two stories high, of red brick. The interior will be finished in red birch. The dedication will take place in January. The organ will be presented by the wives and daughters of lodge members. Mayor Charles Bruce of Everett is chairman of the building committee.

HALL DEDICATION, JANUARY 1911

From New England Craftsman, Vol. VI, No. 5, February 1911, Page 169:

On January 24th, 1908, the Masonic building in Everett, Mass., occupied by Palestine Lodge, was destroyed by fire. On January 24th, 1911, at the same hour in which their home was destroyed the lodge was engaged in dedicating a new Masonic Temple. The ceremonies were conducted by Most Worshipful Grand Master Dana J. Flanders and other officers of the Grand Lodge. The new building will be used exclusively for Masonic purposes.

CORNER STONE LAYING, NOVEMBER 1914

From New England Craftsman, Vol. X, No. 3, December 1914, Page 97:

Under the direction of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, with the assistance of Palestine Lodge of Everett, the corner stone of the First Presbyterian Church in Everett, Mass., was laid Thursday morning, November 26. Right Worshipful Harry P. Ballard officiated and he had the aid of Grand Lecturer Frederic L. Putnam as Grand Marshal There was a responsive Scripture reading, prayer by Rev. M. Spencer, reading of the contents of the box placed within the stone, the spreading of cement, application of the square, level and plumb, invocation by the chaplain and the presentation of the working tools to the architect.

Past Grand Warden Ballard made an address and the Grand Marshal made the customary proclamation. Mayor Chambers extended the greetings of the State and Rev. Norman McQueen of Somerville pronounced the benediction.

GRAND MASTER VISIT, MAY 1917

From New England Craftsman, Vol. XII, No. 9, June 1917, Page 312:

An evening of especial interest was enjoyed by Palestine Lodge, Everett, Mass., at its regular meeting in May. It was the occasion of a fraternal visit of Most. Wor. Leon M. Abbott, Grand Master. Accompanying him were: Most Wor. J. Albert Blake, Past Grand Master; Rt. Wor. William M. Farrington, Senior Grand Warden; Rt. Wor. Charles S. Norris, District Deputy Grand Master; Rt. Wor. Edward N. West, Grand Marshal.

It was a Past Masters' night and Worshipful Master John R. Dexter received them after they had been escorted to the chamber by a committee of affiliated Past Masters. The entire group constituted the reception committee for the Grand master and suite, who were accorded an ovation from the 300 membersM

Past Masters' aprons were bestowed by the master, on behalf of the lodge, to F. K. Dyer, G. W. Whittemore, T. A. Smith, T. Milligan, E. B. Noyes, G. A. Judd, C. L. Purinton, E. C. Beers and F. A. Robertson. There will be one for F. B. Silsby, who was absent.

Sec. Noyes presented to the master a photograph of the first Masonic hall on Broadway, occupied from 1871 to 1908, until it was destroyed by fire. As he concluded his acknowledgment of the gift, Past Master Noyes gave him a surprise by handing him a past master's apron, which had not been included in the order as first sanctioned by the master. That happy incident elicited hearty applause.

Right Worshipful Columbus Corey, the first man initiated in the lodge in 1869, who is in his 84th year, and was the fifth master as well as the first District Deputy from the lodge, presided at an exemplification conducted by former occupants of the chair. He was presented a Henry Price medal by Grand Master Abbott.


GRAND LODGE OFFICERS

OTHER BROTHERS


DISTRICTS

1868: District 2 (Charlestown)

1883: District 7 (Lynn)

1911: District 7 (Malden)

1927: District 7 (Melrose)

2003: District 4


LINKS

Massachusetts Lodges