- 1 PALESTINE LODGE
- 2 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 2.1 ANNIVERSARIES
- 2.2 VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 2.3 BY-LAW CHANGES
- 2.4 HISTORY
- 2.5 OTHER
- 2.6 EVENTS
- 2.7 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 2.8 DISTRICTS
- 2.9 LINKS
Chartered By: William Sewall Gardner
Charter Date: 12/08/1869 VII-407
Precedence Date: 12/08/1868
Current Status: Active
- George W. Pierce, 1869-1872
- Charles D. Stearns, 1873, 1874
- Charles F. Atwood, 1875, 1876
- Philip Ham, 1877, 1878
- Columbus Corey, 1879, 1880; Mem
- Nathan Nichols, 1881, 1882
- John S. Nichols, 1883, 1884
- James A. Wallace, 1885, 1886
- Francis E. Dyer, 1887, 1888
- George E. Whittemore, 1889, 1890
- Thornton A. Smith, 1891, 1892
- Thomas Milligan, 1893, 1894
- Henry A. Knight, 1895, 1896
- Charles Bruce, 1897, 1898
- Edwin B. Noyes, 1899, 1900
- Edwin M. Hall, 1901, 1902
- Frederick B. Silsby, 1903, 1904
- Gustavus A. Judd, 1905, 1906
- Charles L. Purinton, 1907; SN
- Edwin C. Beers, 1908, 1909
- Fred A. Robertson, 1910, 1911
- Charles O. Howe, 1912, 1913
- Fred M. Burden, 1914, 1915
- John R. Dexter, 1916, 1917
- Philip E. Ham, 1918
- Charles Holton, 1919, 1920
- Fred Hobbs, 1921
- George A. F. Perry, 1922
- Willard P. Lombard, 1923; N
- James F. Williams, 1924
- Joseph E. Maxcy, 1925
- Herman F. Wood, 1926
- John A. Corliss, 1927; SN
- George Harvey, 1928
- Preston D. Chambers, 1929; N
- James H. Shillady, 1930
- Charles R. Chapman, 1931
- Charles R. Flagg, 1932
- Percy R. W. Davis, 1933
- Ernest W. West, 1934
- Mortimer W. Schroeder, 1935
- Wallace E. Chase, 1936, 1937
- James Love, 1938
- John M. MacKenzie, 1939
- Kenneth G. Swindell, 1940; N
- Elmer R. Pickering, 1941
- Edward H. Mack, 1942
- Richard L. Lounsbury, 1943
- George M. Poor, 1944
- Cecil Thomson, 1945
- Carrol C. Cate, 1946
- G. Lawrence Sjostedt, 1947
- Harold M. Wetherbee, 1948
- Willard B. Whittemore, 1949
- John G. Barnhardt, 1950
- Edmund W. Patterson, 1951
- George E. M. Perham, 1952
- Stanley L. Whittemore, 1953
- Goerge S. Kenison, 1954
- Arnold H. Wetherbee, 1955
- Henri B. Turner, 1956
- Kenneth M. Webber, 1957
- James M. Love, 1958
- Hollis E. Elwell, 1959
- Philip E. Coyle, Jr., 1960; N
- Samuel C. Jacobus, 1961
- Donald F. Leonard, 1962
- David J. McBride, 1963
- John K. Olsen, 1964
- Charles E. Wilderman, Sr., 1965
- Robert A. Grout, 1966
- Charles S. Hopkins, 1967
- George W. Betts, Jr., 1968
- Joseph F. Dresser, 1969
- George D. Baldwin, 1970
- Donald L. King, 1971
- John N. Olsen, 1972
- James R. Griffith, 1973
- Jesse C. Blackmon, Jr., 1974
- William J. Strong, 1975
- David D. Frizzell, 1976
- Donald F. Libby, 1977
- David L. Westerman, 1978
- Orlando R. Goodwin, 1979; SN
- Thomas A. Joyce, 1980
- Thomas M. Frederick, 1981
- Charles R. Swan, 1982, 1987
- Loren A. Frizzell, 1983
- Walter M. Russ, 1984
- Robert J. Garbarino, 1985, 1986
- John R. Gear, 1988
- Joseph P. Westerman, 1989, 2001, 2002
- Robert B. Reed, 1990, 2003, 2004
- William R. Frederick, Jr., 1991, 1992
- Joseph C. DelFavero, 1993, 1994, 2008, 2009
- Gerald C. Guerriero, 1995
- Douglas G. Varney, 1996
- J. Gregory Russ, 1997, 1998
- David I. Westerman, 1999, 2000
- Kevin B. McNeely, 2005-2007
- William J. Boulay, 2010-2012
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1869 (Dame; Constitution of Lodge and installation)
- 1872 (Nickerson; Hall dedication; Special Communication; see below)
- 1880 (Welch)
- 1882 (Lawrence)
- 1884 (Howland)
- 1899 (Hutchinson)
- 1906 (Blake)
- 1909 (Flanders)
- 1911 (Flanders; Hall dedication; Special Communication)
- 1913 (Benton)
- 1917 (L. Abbott)
- 1918 (L. Abbott; 2 visits, including Ladies' Night and 50th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1937 (Allen; Ladies' Night)
- 1943 (Schaefer; 75th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1954 (W. Johnson; reception for Deputy Grand Master Willard P. Lombard)
- 1956 (W. Johnson)
- 1965 (Osgood; reception for Junior Grand Warden Kenneth G. Swindell)
- 1968 (Booth; Centenary; Special Communication)
- 1994 (Lovering; 125th Anniversary; Special Communication)
- 1918 (50th Anniversary History, 1918-236)
- 1943 (75th Anniversary History, 1943-244)
- 1968 (Centenary History, 1968-242)
- 1982 (mention in 125th Anniversary history of Mount Vernon Lodge, 1982-124)
75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, DECEMBER 1943
From Proceedings, Page 1943-244:
By Right Worshipful John A. Corliss:
The first fifty years of Palestine Lodge were admirably recorded by Right Worshipful Columbus Corey, whose application for the degrees was the first received by the new Lodge. The history of these years was given in an address delivered at the celebration of the fiftieth anniversary on December 9, 1918, and it is fitting that this record be included herein.
Palestine Lodge traces its place of birth to the brick building at the corner of Main Street and Baldwin Avenue, then known as Barney's Perfumery Building.
Masons having a residence in South Maiden had for a year or more previous to the granting of a dispensation met monthly or oftener at this place to lecture and perfect themselves in the work, and thoroughly did they do it, as evidenced when the opportunity came for them to show what progress they had made. Meeting with them, besides those who afterward became members of Palestine Lodge, were Brothers Hawes Atwood, Charles F. Atwood, Charles D. Stearns, Robert M. Barnard, James Skinner, Thomas Lewis, Stephen H. Kimball and George T. Barney. These Brothers were mostly affiliated with Boston Lodges.
September 25, 1868, an informal meeting was held at which Brothers George W. Pierce, Henry L. Chase and Thomas Leavitt were chosen a committee to prepare and present a petition to Mount Vernon Lodge asking permission to form a new Lodge. The petition, at the suggestion of Mount Vernon Lodge, was to bear only the names of members of Mount Vernon Lodge. "Palestine" was the name selected for the new Lodge. At a meeting of Mount Vernon Lodge held December 3, 1868, it was voted "That the prayer of the petitioners be granted." It was also voted "That the Brethren of South Maiden have the use of our Hall while under Dispensation."
A Dispensation was granted December 8, 1868, by Charles C. Dame, Most Worshipful Grand Master, attested by Solon Thornton, Grand Secretary, and appointing as Worshipful Master, George W. Pierce; Senior Warden, Henry L. Chase; Junior Warden, Alfred Tufts.
The first regular communication was held January 14, 1869, at Engine House Hall, then standing where was afterwards the Police Station, the building afterwards becoming the property of the Veteran Firemen's Association and being removed to Second Street. After the reading of the Dispensation, the Worshipful Master completed the organization as follows:
- Treasurer, Thomas Leavitt
- Secretary, James P. Stewart
- Senior Deacon, Jonas P. Wakefield
- Junior Deacon, Philip Ham
Senior Steward, John G. Berry
- Junior Steward, Albert W. Lewis
- Inside Sentinel, Benjamin Corey
- Marshal, S. Augustus Stimpson
The above, with Henry W. VanVoorhis, John C. VanVoorhis and Peter Hanson, fourteen in all, were the Charter members. Thomas Lewis was appointed as Tyler and James Skinner, Chaplain.
At the meeting of January 14, 1869, three candidates were proposed, who were in due time elected and received degrees. They were Columbus Corey, Joseph E. Nichols, and Joseph H. Currant, in the order named.
A Charter was granted under date of December 8, 1869. December 29, 1869, the Lodge met per order of Most Worshipful Grand Master William Sewall Gardner at 4 o'clock P.M. for the purpose of being Constituted, Consecrated and Dedicated as Palestine Lodge and for the installation of officers — twenty-eight members in number. After the dedicatory service, the Most Worshipful Grand Master, assisted by R.W. Tracy P. Cheever, District Deputy Grand Master, installed the officers of the Lodge. The officers were the same as those who served under Dispensation.
The need of more suitable accommodations for the Lodge had already become acute and a number of the Brethren formed a corporation under the name of "Everett Associates," every member of which must be a Mason, and erected what was known as Masonic Building in Everett Square. The first communication of the Lodge in its new apartments was held February 9, 1871, and was the informal opening of one of the most beautiful Lodge-rooms in the State, ornamented, as it was, entirely with designs pertaining to the Craft.
On June 1, 1872, the apartments were Dedicated to the "purposes of Masonry" by Most Worshipful Grand Master Sereno D. Nickerson and officers of the Grand Lodge. At that time the Lodge consisted of but fifty-two members and on that number rested a debt of $3000.00. It may be that that obligation more firmly cemented the bonds of friendship and that the indissoluble tie of brotherly love and affection was made stronger from the necessity of working in harmony.
January 24, 1908, Masonic Building was destroyed by fire and with it the entire furnishings and treasures of Palestine Lodge except the records, which were safely kept in a safe by Worshipful Brother Noyes. Constituted December, 1869, with a membership of twenty-eight, in October, 1910, the Lodge had a membership of four hundred and sixty-five. And now Palestine Lodge found itself without a home. Action was immediately taken to provide one. A committee was appointed consisting of:
- Worshipful Brother Charles Bruce
- Worshipful Brother Edward B. Noyes
- Brother Eugene I. Blount
- Brother Isaac C. Harvey
- Brother Percy C. Bond
to attend to the erection of a building which was to be the property of Palestine Lodge. Land was purchased of the Barnard Estate, and the building which we now occupy was the result of their labors and one which we think equal to any. The cornerstone was laid October 11, 1910, by M. W. Bro. Dana J. Flanders, assisted by Worshipful Brother Rev. R. Perry Bush, D.D., Grand Chaplain, R.W. Brother Harry P. Ballard as Grand Marshal, and other officers of the Grand Lodge. The Dedication January 20, 1911, was conducted by M.W. Brother Dana J. Flanders, assisted by Worshipful Brothers Rev. Edward A. Horton, Rev. R. Perry Bush, D.D., and other officers of the Grand Lodge.
Since the erection of the Building, Bethsaida Royal Arch Chapter has been Instituted, February 22, 1911, with Worshipful Brother Charles Bruce as first High Priest. Palestine Lodge, during the time that it was to be without a Lodge-room of its own, held its meetings in Maiden Masonic Hall, Converse Lodge very kindly placing its regalia at the disposal of Palestine Lodge.
Palestine Lodge now has a membership of seven hundred and sixty-five, one hundred and one of whom are in the military or naval service of the United States. This concludes the record of Right Worshipful Brother Corey. Going back into the later years covered by the narration just quoted, and while the Lodge was enjoying a period of marked prosperity in membership, and the occupancy of a new Temple, various interesting incidents are noted.
At the 497th regular communication held May 17, 1917, Worshipful John R. Dexter received Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott and a suite of Grand Officers, including Most Worshipful J. Albert Blake, on a fraternal visit. Worshipful Brother Dexter at that communication presented Past Master's Aprons to Worshipful Brothers Dyer, Whittemore, Smith, Milligan, Noyes, Judd, Purinton, Beers and Robertson. With Right Worshipful Columbus Corey in the East and all stations filled by Past Masters, the Master Mason Degree was worked on Brother R. T. L. Lewis. The Grand Master then presented Right Worshipful Brother Corey with a Henry Price medal.
Sunday afternoon, June 24, 1917, the Lodge met in celebration of St. John's Day and in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the formation of the Grand Lodge of England at the Goose and Gridiron Tavern in London, June 24, 1717.
June 27, 1918, at the 437th special communication, Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott again paid the Lodge a fraternal visit and presented the Henry Price medal to Brother George F. Hobbs, then fifty years a Mason.
Sunday afternoon, December 8, 1918, the 446th special communication was held for the purpose of observing the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Lodge. Two hundred sixty-eight members and eight visiting Brethren formed a procession and marched to the First Baptist Church, then in Everett Square. A one hour program at the Church included music by Brother John A. Thomas at the organ, selections by the Weber Male Quartette, Scripture reading by Rev. Brother A. Judson Hughes, Chaplain of the Lodge and Pastor of the Church, and prayers by Grand Chaplains R. Perry Bush, D.D., member of Palestine Lodge, and Francis L. Beal, D.D. After the completion of this enjoyable program, the Brethren returned to the Temple for a social hour and refreshments served in Temple Hall.
Monday evening, December 9th, the 447th special communication was held to continue the celebration. At 7 o'clock, 300 members, with Grand Officers as guests, sat down to a banquet in the vestry of the First Methodist Church on Norwood Street. During the banquet, musical selections were rendered by the Commonwealth Orchestra. After the banquet the Brethren returned to the Temple where the Lodge was reconvened and the Worshipful Master received Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott and suite of Grand Officers. All living Past Masters of the Lodge, except Worshipful Brother Silsby, who was living in Maine, sixteen in number, are recorded as present at the communication.
The program of the evening included selections by the Weber Quartette, addresses by Worshipful Charles Holton, presiding Master, Brother William E. Weeks, Mayor of Everett, reading of the history of Palestine Lodge by Right Worshipful Columbus Corey, heretofore quoted, and addresses by Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott, Grand Master, and Reverend and Worshipful Edward E. Horton. About 400 members and guests are recorded as present. The years immediately following are memorable for the rapid growth of the Lodge and the number of communications held to accommodate the large lists of candidates. A high light in this period is the reception in the Lodge of Right Worshipful Claude L. Allen, who was later to become Grand Master, during his term as District Deputy for the Seventh Masonic District, in the years 1919 and 1920.
At the annual communication November 11, 1921, a committee previously appointed to report on the advisability of forming a new Masonic Lodge in Everett reported favorably.
May 11, 1922, Brother, the Honorable Charles L. Underhill, Representative in Congress of the ninth Massachusetts District, made a special trip from Washington to talk before the Lodge.
December 16, 1922, recorded the passing of Worshipful Nathan Nichols, Master in 1881 and 1882, Secretary of the Lodge for two years, and Treasurer for twenty-one years at the time of his death.
The Temple had been constructed with funds of the Lodge, and generous subscriptions from the Brethren, but these together had not provided sufficient capital and a mortgage to complete the construction had been negotiated at a local bank. With the increase in membership, surplus funds had been accumulated and on June 14, 1923, in the administration of Right Worshipful Willard P. Lombard, the last mortgage note was paid and Palestine Lodge, through its ownership of practically all the shares of stock in Palestine Masonic Association, became the owner of the Temple Building and grounds, free and clear of all incumbrances.
October 11, 1923, records the fraternal visit to Palestine Lodge of the newly formed Galilean Lodge with Worshipful David S. Huey, presiding Master, and a full suite of officers, who assisted in the work of the evening. This occasion is memorable in that Worshipful Brother Huey and all his officers, with the exception of one, were members of Palestine Lodge.
In 1924 our beloved Brother Worshipful James Francis Williams was stricken ill during his term as Master, and after several months, was taken from us and raised to the Celestial Lodge October 10, 1924. Funeral services were conducted at his late home by Brother Joseph E. Maxcy, Acting Master, and Rev. Brother Hugh MacCallum, Chaplain. The high regard in which Worshipful Brother Williams was held was confirmed by the attendance of sixty-four members and three visiting Brothers at the services.
Interesting incidents are picked up on occasion in preparing such a narrative as this.
In arranging for his installation in November, 1924, Brother Joseph E. Maxcy, elected Worshipful Master, sent return postcards inviting the members of the Lodge. One such card was finally received by a Brother in China, the return portion duly filled out and mailed to be received in Everett in April, 1925, five months after the ceremonies. The Brother thanked Worshipful Brother Maxcy for the invitation and remarked his doubt if he could attend in person, but would be with the Lodge in spirit.
At an official visitation by Right Worshipful Edgar O. Dewey, October 21, 1926, in remarking on the growth and standing of Lodges in the State, he stated that Palestine Lodge was the third largest at that time, with 1200 members.
While this history is not a necrology, it has seemed proper to pay sincere and merited tribute to several of our Brethren whose removal from our midst has left an emptiness in our physical surroundings, but a fulness of recollection of warm and sincere friendship and loyal service to the Lodge in our memories.
Among these revered Brethren, Worshipful Brother Edward B. Noyes holds a high place. Master in 1899 and 1900, and in his 24th year as Secretary at the time of his death, his service to the Lodge as member and officer covered a period of nearly forty years. Masonic Services were held for Brother Noyes Sunday, February 20th, at the First Congregational Church in Everett Square, attended by 175 Brethren and a church full of friends and neighbors.
Worshipful Herman F. Wood succeeded to the Secretaryship of the Lodge by election under dispensation and was installed in office March 10, 1927, handling the duties of the office most ably until his retirement in 1935.
At the regular communication May 12, 1927, Palestine Lodge voted to sponsor a Chapter of DeMolay in Everett, sharing this reponsibility with Galilean Lodge and Bethsaida Royal Arch Chapter. The Chapter was duly instituted as Everett Chapter, Order of DeMolay, October 28, 1927, with Worshipful Charles Bruce as Chairman of the Advisory Board and Brother Albert W. Lounsbury as Dad Advisor. With various Brethren occupying these offices, the Chapter has had a particularly successful existence and is now operating with a membership of about 175, of whom 100 active members are in the Armed Services.
In the year 1928 the Lodge suffered a loss in the active line in the death of Brother George W. Frazier, Senior Deacon, on September 20th.
Worshipful Brother Chambers in his year had the rare Masonic privilege of receiving and raising his father, Brother James Chambers. Two other sons and a son-in-law of Brother James Chambers were present at the ceremonies.
At the November 9, 1929, communication, Brother James H. Shillady was elected and installed Worshipful Master. Proving that rare Masonic privileges are not so rare, at the December 12th communication, Worshipful Brother Shillady raised his father, Brother Isaac Shillady, making two similar instances in two Masonic years. Three other sons of Brother Isaac Shillady presided at the gates.
January 17, 1930, Palestine Lodge lost its first candidate, oldest living member and Senior Past Master, Right Worshipful Columbus Corey, Master of Palestine Lodge in 1879 and 1880. Brother Corey was holder of the Henry Price Medal, ninety-six years old at the time of his death and had presided in the East of Palestine Lodge with a most commendable rendition of the ritual as recently as May 10, 1928, and as Chairman of the Committee to introduce the District Deputy Grand Master on the occasion of his official visitation September 27, 1928. Masonic services for Brother Corey were held at the Universalist Church January 21, 1930, by Worshipful James H. Shillady, assisted by Rev. Brother Hugh MacCallum, Chaplain.
March 18, 1930, the Lodge suffered another important loss in the death of Brother Albert W. Lounsbury, also while serving in the office of Senior Deacon. Brother Lounsbury had been Dad Advisor of Everett Chapter, Order of DeMolay, since its Institution.
June 10, 1930, records the raising of a grandson, Brother Herbert S. Judd, Jr., by Worshipful Gustavus A. Judd. At a special communication June 19th following, The Lodge of Stirling of Maiden, with its line of officers, paid Palestine Lodge a fraternal visit and assisted in the work of the degree.
The history of Palestine Lodge and of Masonry in Everett would be incomplete without particular mention of the most familiar Masonic figure in this city for the last fifty years. Initiated in Palestine Lodge in 1887 and Master in 1897 and 1898, Worshipful Charles Bruce has been mentioned as the Chairman of the Committee whose successful efforts culminated in the erection of this Temple Building. The Temple was his all absorbing interest from its building to the time of his death, October 6, 1937.
Worshipful Brother Bruce had served the Lodge as its Treasurer from 1924 to 1934, and as its Secretary from 1934 to 1937. He had also served as Chairman of the Advisory Board, Everett Chapter, Order of DeMolay, from the Institution of the Chapter.
Worshipful Brother Elmer R. Pickering, while presiding Master, was called into the Armed Services March 13, 1941; Brother Major John McKeague was recalled to service while in office as Junior Deacon; Brother Major Willard W. Whittemore was called into service while in office as Junior Warden; Brother John G. Barnhardt entered the Navy while serving as Junior Deacon; Brother G. Lawrence Sjostedt was called into the Army while in office as Senior Warden. These Brothers and thirty-eight others from our membership are now in their country's uniform.
In the early years of Palestine Lodge, and for perhaps the first fifty years, this Lodge, as well as nearly all other city Lodges, was composed of a local membership. Brothers were able to go to their Lodge meetings conveniently by foot or public transportation system.
The last twenty-five years have seen a spread of the membership of this Lodge as if carried by the "Four Winds of Heaven." As this record is written, about half the membership is within a possible attendance radius; the other half is from Maine to Florida to California, with Brothers in Argentine and on the seven seas, not including those Brothers who have answered their Country's call, some of whom are in the Far East.
The numerical strength of the Lodge, starting with 765 reported by Right Worshipful Brother Corey in December, 1918, and mentioned on occasion by District Deputies at official visitations, is noted for the years immediately following:
- 1919 — 852 members, including 96 Initiates and 100 Life Members
- 1920 — 920 members, including 91 Initiates
- 1921 — 1057 members, including 155 Initiates
In this Masonic year 10 regular and 61 special communications were held, of which 56 were for degree work and 5 for funeral services.
Succeeding administrations showed annual increases in membership, the net figure reaching 1206 for 1925, 1215 for 1929 and 1225 for 1931. Since this year, the depression period and other reasons have reduced the membership to 825 in 1943.
APPOINTMENTS BY GRAND MASTERS
Palestine Lodge has been honored by the selection of various of its Past Masters to represent the Grand Master in the Seventh District; Right Worshipful Columbus Corey in 1884, 1885 and 1886, by appointment of Most Worshipful Abraham H. Howland, Jr.; Right Worshipful Charles L. Purinton in 1911 and 1912, by appointment of Most Worshipful Dana J. Flanders and Most Worshipful Everett C. Benton; Right Worshipful Willard P. Lombard, Senior Grand Deacon in 1926 and Deputy for the Seventh Maiden Masonic District in 1927-1928, by appointment of Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson; Right Worshipful John A. Corliss, for the Seventh Melrose Masonic District in 1933-1934, by appointment of Most Worshipful Curtis Chipman; Right Worshipful Harry B. Tabor, member of Palestine Lodge, Charter Member and Past Master of Galilean Lodge, appointed for the Maiden Seventh Masonic District in 1941 and 1942 by Most Worshipful [http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMSchaefer Albert A. Schaefer.
AWARDS BY GRAND LODGE
Henry Price Medals
- R. W. Columbus Corey, May 17, 1917, by M. W. Leon M. Abbott
- Bro. George F. Hobbs, June 27, 1918, by M. W. Leon M. Abbott
- Wor. Gustavus A. Judd, November 12, 1925, by R.W. Edgar O. Dewey
- Wor. George E. Hunt, member of Palestine Lodge for 36 years, Past Master of Galilean Lodge, by M.W. Albert A. Schaefer
- Bro. Joel C. Partridge, Sept. 29, 1927, by R.W. Fred L. Putnam
- Wor. George W. Whittemore, Sept. 29, 1927, by R.W. Fred L, Putnam
- Wor. Gustavus A. Judd, in 1928, by R.W. Charles M. Proctor
- Wor. Thomas Milligan, Oct. 25, 1934, by R.W. John A. Corliss
- Bro. Frank O. Whittier, May 12, 1938, by R.W. Edward P. Wells
- Bro. James Bean in 1938, by Wm. L. Hovis, Inspector in Harding Lodge No. 584, Los Angeles, California
- Bro. Thomas J. Boynton and Wor. Alton A. Jackson, May 11, 1939, by R.W. Roy A. Hovey
- Bro. Joseph W. Philbrick, Bro. Henry R. Davis, Bro. George A. Ljbby, October 10, 1940, by R. W. Roy A- Hovey
- Bro. Archibald Macauley, November 13, 1941, by R.W. Ernest R. Potter
- Wor. George E. Hunt, Bro. Albert G. Freeman, May 7, 1942, by M.W. Albert A. Schaefer
- Bro. Charles B. Ladd , Bro. Charles A. Gleason, Bro. Fred E. Bean, Bro. Calvin H. Currier, Bro. James R. Hutton, February 11, 1943, by R.W. Howard G.
INSTALLATIONS BY NOTABLE MASONS FROM OTHER LODGES
- Wor. George A. F. Perry, November, 1921, by his uncle, Worshipful Nathaniel W. Lillie, Past Master, John Abbot Lodge, Somerville
- Wor. Willard P. Lombard, November 9, 1922, by his Law Associate, R.W. Willis W. Stover, Past District Deputy Grand Master of the 3rd Masonic District
- Wor. John A. Corliss, November 11, 1926, by R.W. Olin D. Dickerman, Past District Deputy Grand Master of the 29th Masonic District, Past Junior Grand Warden, and his Associate in Military Activities in previous years.
- Wor. George Havey, November 10, 1927, by R.W. Edgar O. Dewey, Past District Deputy Grand Master of the 7th Masonic District and a companion Spanish War Veteran
- Wor. Preston D. Chambers, November 8, 1928, by R.W. Charles M. Proctor, District Deputy Grand Master of the 7th Masonic District, assisted by a suite of presiding and Past Masters of the District
TRADITIONS OF PALESTINE LODGE
For many years the dress of the official line in Palestine Lodge has been distinctive, at least among Lodges in this and nearby districts. Previous to 1938 the dress was tail coats with black waistcoats and black ties. Beginning with 1938 the dress was changed to white waistcoats with white ties. The observance of practices approved by time and experience is appropriate in the Craft, and in this respect the Lodge has followed a conservative program.
The presentation of a Past Master's Jewel and a Past Master's Apron to a retiring Master is usual. The jewel has thus been presented in Palestine Lodge. In more recent years the apron has been presented to the incoming Master at his installation, that he might be properly clothed when representing the Lodge on the occasion of attendance at any other Lodge.
In 1926 the practice was adopted of presenting each candidate at the conclusion of his Master Mason Degree with a Masonic Bible, the Great Light in Masonry. The Bible is presented by the Chaplain and provides a particularly appropriate souvenir of an important Masonic event. Successive Masters since have continued this practice.
In the year 1938 the practice was adopted of sending to each member of the Lodge a birthday card on the Brother's anniversary. This has also been continued by Masters since.
As the years increase upon us, may we continue to use the common gavel and the other working tools of our Craft "to fit our minds as living stones, for that spiritual building, that house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."
HALL DEDICATION, JUNE 1872
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXXI, No. 9, July 1872, Page 267:
Palestine Lodge of Everett, though ranking among the youngest in the jurisdiction, and located in one of the latest organized towns in the Commonwealth, and consequently with a comparatively limited population, has nobly manifested its energy and enterprise in providing for its future accommodation, one of the prettiest masonic halls in the immediate vicinity of the city. All the preliminary arrangements having been completed, it was appropriately dedicated to the purposes of Masonry (and we hope to none others) by the M. W. Grand Lodge on the evening of the 11th of June last. The ceremonies were performed by M. W. Grand Master Nickerson in person, with the assistance of the following Grand Officers: —
- R. W. Percival L. Everett, Deputy Grand Master.
- R. W. Charles W. Moore, as Senior Grand Warden.
- R. W. Tracy P. Cheever, Junior Grand Warden.
- R. W. Winslow Lewis, as Grand Treasurer.
- R. W. Charles H. Titus, as Grand Chaplain.
- W. William H. Chessman, Grand Marshal.
- W. Andrew G. Smith, as Senior Grand Deacon.
- W. William T. R. Marvin, as Junior Grand Deacon.
- W. John M. Rodocanachi, as Senior Grand Steward.
- W. Eben W. Lothrop, as Junior Grand Steward.
- Br. Frederick A. Pierce, Grand Tyler.
At the conclusion of the ceremonies of Dedication, the Grand Master addressed the assembly, consisting of about one hundred and fifty, including the ladies and invited guests, on the history and objects of the fraternity. The address was well adapted to the occasion, and was listened to with attention by the hearers.
At the conclusion of the address, and the singing of (he closing hymn, a rich and beautiful banner was borne into the hall by a young lad, accompanied by Miss Nellie T. Corey, a pupil of the High School, attended by a young lady friend. On reaching the East, Miss Corey stepped forward, and in a fine tone of voice and almost faultless accent presented the banner to the "W. Master in the following address:
As a Mason's daughter, permit me in behalf of the many wives, mothers, sisters and daughters of the members of the masonic fraternity of this town to extend to you and the officers and members of Palestine Lodge, our kind thanks for the privilege we enjoy this evening in being present with you — and we trust by our presence to assure you that you may expect encouragement from us in behalf of the Masonic cause, founded on the broad principles of Truth and Christianity — and it gives me great pleasure in being intrusted with an important mission to you at this time, and to request that you will accept this banner, fraught with the kindest wishes, and bearing the emblematic, unbroken symbol of Faith, Hope and Charity. May your Faith be upheld by that blessed Hope which shall illumine your path through life, to enable you to cherish and cultivate that noblest of christian duties, Charity; and as years roll on, and your successors become guardians of this our gift, may the motto here emblazoned never fail to remind them of the necessity of upholding their Faith in God, Hope in immortality, and Chanty to all mankind. Allow me to express. the hope that every member of Palestine Lodge will so live, that the world may be assured of the goodness of Masonry, that its laws are reason and equity, its principles benevolence and love, and its religion purity and truth. Its intention is peace on earth and its disposition good will towards men.
Let us all so live that when cut down by the all devouring scythe of time, we may be gathered into that Celestial Lodge above where the Supreme Architect of the Universe presides.
The banner was received by the "W. Master of the Lodge, Bro. Geo. W. Pierce, in the following neat and felicitous address.
It is with feelings of sincere pleasure, that I receive from your hands this beautiful gift. Let me assure you and the donors of this elegant banner, that the members of Palestine Lodge fully appreciate their kindness.
Not for its intrinsic value alone do we prize the gift, but as expressing the good will and sympathy which our lady friends have toward us and our institution.
With the three leading principles Faith, Hope and Charity, as our guide, and governed by the Tenets of our profession, we shall " so walk in our several stations before God and man, "as never to give you cause to regret your kindness, or so conduct as to lose your good opinion of the institution. Again let me thank the Ladies of this town for their kindness, and assure them that it will ever be remembered as one of those bright spots that illumine man's path.
The company then proceeded to the lower hall where a collation was partaken of, and brief congratulatory speeches made by Grand Master Nickerson, Rev. Charles H. Titus, Dr. Winslow Lewis, C. W. Moore, Tracy P. Cheever, and others. The Grand Lodge then retired, leaving the Brethren and their ladies to the further enjoyment of the occasion by themselves.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Preston D. Chambers, DDGM, District 7 (Melrose), 1947, 1948; N
- Columbus Corey, DDGM, District 7 (Lynn), 1884, 1885, 1886; Memorial
- John A. Corliss, DDGM, District 7 (Melrose), 1933, 1934; Palestine; SN
- Philip E. Coyle, Jr., DDGM, District 7 (Melrose), 1971, 1972; N
- Orlando R. Goodwin, DDGM, District 7 (Melrose), 1985, 1986; SN
- Willard P. Lombard, DDGM, District 7 (Malden), 1927, 1928; Deputy Grand Master 1954; N
- Charles L. Purinton, DDGM, District 7 (Malden), 1911, 1912; SN
- Kenneth G. Swindell, DDGM, District 7 (Melrose), 1959, 1960; Junior Grand Warden 1965; N
- Harry B. Tabor, DDGM, District 7 (Malden) , 1941, 1942; Junior Grand Warden 1957; N