Difference between revisions of "MountHolyoke"

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search
(50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1919)
Line 420: Line 420:
 
''By Fred M. Smith.''
 
''By Fred M. Smith.''
  
The last four years,f or the world - the last two years, especially, for this country, has been a history making epoch, such as the world has never witnessed before. The overthrow of dynasties, of kings and queens, the crushing of long matured and carefully laid plans for world dominion, the rise of democracy, the deeds of valor, the long sufferings and great sacrifices, the immense works accomplished, have all been such that they will remain indelibly recorded en the memories of this generation and generations yet to come, and last until time shall be no more.
+
The last four years for the world - the last two years, especially, for this country, has been a history making epoch, such as the world has never witnessed before. The overthrow of dynasties, of kings and queens, the crushing of long matured and carefully laid plans for world dominion, the rise of democracy, the deeds of valor, the long sufferings and great sacrifices, the immense works accomplished, have all been such that they will remain indelibly recorded en the memories of this generation and generations yet to come, and last until time shall be no more.
  
 
But history of the more common place varieties, especially in a time like this, is dry and uninteresting reading at the best, while the history of a Lodge cannot be other than of the most prosaic sort. No one realizes this more than your present historian, yet custom seems to have decreed that a history is one of the essential features on the occasion of anniversaries,and were it not for this custom your historian would have hesitated to write a history of Mt. Holyoke Lodge in the closing period of this history making epoch and to read it at this late hour after the working of the third degree.
 
But history of the more common place varieties, especially in a time like this, is dry and uninteresting reading at the best, while the history of a Lodge cannot be other than of the most prosaic sort. No one realizes this more than your present historian, yet custom seems to have decreed that a history is one of the essential features on the occasion of anniversaries,and were it not for this custom your historian would have hesitated to write a history of Mt. Holyoke Lodge in the closing period of this history making epoch and to read it at this late hour after the working of the third degree.

Revision as of 11:07, 6 January 2014

MOUNT HOLYOKE LODGE

Location: South Hadley Falls

Chartered By: William Sewall Gardner

Charter Date: 06/08/1870 1870-124

Precedence Date: 03/30/1869

Current Status: Active


PAST MASTERS

  • George E. Fisher, 1870, 1871
  • Lewis B. Hooker, 1872, 1873, 1876, 1877
  • M. V. B. Jenkins, 1874
  • Charles Church, 1875
  • James O. Walker, 1878, 1879
  • William N. Price, 1880
  • Phillip Hyde, 1881-1883
  • Horace W. Gaylord, 1884; SN
  • Earl M. Scott, 1885-1887
  • Sebertrum E. Bliss, 1888
  • William H. Smith, 1889, 1890
  • Myron H. Judd, 1891, 1892
  • Fred M. Smith, 1893
  • Will W. Gaylord, 1894, 1895
  • Frederick B. Herrick, 1896
  • Albert D. Cook, 1897
  • Albert G. Hahn, 1898
  • Henry E. Gaylord, 1899
  • George M. Selfridge, 1900
  • Harrison E. Dunbar, 1901
  • Harry E. Brainerd, 1902, 1903
  • Charles W. Bartlett, 1904
  • Ray P. Scott, 1905
  • David E. Hattiman, 1906
  • Hugh Sinclair, 1907, 1908
  • Ernest T. Brown, 1909, 1910
  • Charles H. Smith, 1911; SN
  • Frederick H. Webster, 1912
  • Leon H. Dunklee, 1913
  • Albert Hagar, 1914
  • David Glassford, 1915; N
  • William H. Downs, 1916
  • Marine Cooper, 1917, 1918
  • Ralph N. Bachelor, 1919
  • Alexander B. Sinclair, 1920
  • Irving Royston, 1921
  • Robert Hall, 1922
  • George F. Canney, 1923
  • James C. Weir, Jr., 1924
  • Norman H. Richards, 1925
  • Dwight H. Eaton, 1926
  • James J. Ingham, 1927
  • William H. Brown, 1928
  • Albert Sorton, Jr., 1929
  • Carl A. Carlson, 1930
  • Ralph H. Burnett, 1931, 1932
  • Ralph B. Wilson, 1933; N
  • Ronald Astley, 1934; N
  • Robert A. Brainerd, 1935
  • Stanley A. Scott, 1936
  • Edwin A. Lewis, 1937
  • Samuel A. Watson, 1938
  • Harold Hansen, 1939
  • Clarence H. Smiledge, 1940
  • A. William Astley, 1941
  • Charles J. Buss, Jr., 1942
  • J. Holden Camp, 1943
  • Joseph G. Griffin, 1944
  • Ernest C. Smith, 1945
  • Joseph J. Lacey, 1946
  • Huey H. McKay, 1947; SN
  • Edger G. Thompson, 1948; N
  • Edward Norris, 1949
  • William A. Green, 1950
  • Charles Lempke, Jr., 1951
  • Carlton O. Stiles, 1952
  • Robert T. Hardy, 1953
  • Robert W. Wilson, 1954
  • Kenneth A. Snape, 1955
  • W. K. Brooksbank, Jr., 1956, 1982
  • Ernest E. Perron, 1957
  • Thomas S. Simpson, 1958
  • Clarence C. DeWolfe, 1959
  • Philip Hano, 1960
  • Alfred P. Charron, 1961
  • David W. Lewis, 1962, 1963
  • William H. Colgan, 1963
  • Allen W. Stewart, 1964
  • Harrison B. Fecteau, 1965
  • Frank Obremski, Jr., 1966
  • Joseph R. P. Champagne, 1967
  • Raymond I. Duff, 1968
  • Wilfred O. Hatch, Jr., 1969
  • Francis R. Dressell, 1970; N
  • Albert D. J. Asprey, 1971
  • Richard B. Scott, 1972
  • Walter E. Schmitter, 1973
  • Kenneth S. Wilson, 1974
  • Ronald E. Jackson, 1975
  • Kenneth C. Haskins, 1976
  • Leonard A. Neumann, Jr., 1977
  • Louis Laferriere, 1978
  • Roger Martin, 1979
  • Robert W. Tucker, 1980
  • James D. Hoisington, 1981
  • W. K. Brooksbank, Jr., 1982
  • Philip Hano, III, 1983
  • William I. Mandell, 1984
  • Eugene G. Anderson, 1985
  • Christopher D. Bascom, 1986
  • John M. Gauger, 1987; PDDGM
  • William P. Daly, 1988
  • Raymond J. LeClair, 1989
  • John E. Wehr, Jr., 1990, 1999
  • Henry A. Fusari, 1991, 1992
  • David Lewis, 1993
  • James A. Cassidy, 1994, 1998
  • Donald L. Grise, 1995
  • Donald T. Cherry, 1996
  • Mark C. Mueller, 1997; PDDGM
  • Clark Stevens Mandell, 2000
  • Mark A. Cohen, 2001
  • Michael Wehr, 2002
  • Donald Sargent, 2003
  • Brian T. Gibbons, 2004
  • Edward L. Alford, 2005, 2006; PDDGM
  • Paul A. Cataldo, 2007, 2008; DDGM
  • Robert D. St. George, 2009
  • Ralph Lamy, 2010
  • Karl Ferguson, 2011
  • Tyler W. Seavey, 2012, 2013

1869-71GeorgeFisher.jpg 1872-73LewisHooker.jpg 1874MVBJenkins.jpg
George E. Fisher, Lewis B. Hooker, M. V. B. Jenkins

1875CharlesChurch.jpg 1876-77LewisHooker.jpg 1878-79JamesWalker.jpg
Charles Church, Lewis B. Hooker, James O. Walker

1880WilliamPrice.jpg 1881-83PhilipHyde.jpg 1884HoraceGaylord.jpg
William Price, Philip Hyde, Horace Gaylord

1885-87EarlScott.jpg 1888SerbertrumBliss.jpg 1889-90WilliamSmith.jpg
Earl M. Scott, Sebertrum E. Bliss, William H. Smith

1891-92MyronJudd.jpg 1893FredSmith.jpg 1894-95WillGaylord.jpg
Myron H. Judd, Fred M. Smith, Will W. Gaylord

1896FredHerrick.jpg 1897AlbertCooke.jpg 1898AlbertHahn.jpg
Frederick B. Herrick, Albert D. Cook, Albert G. Hahn

0000NoPhotograph.jpg 1900GeorgeSelfridge.jpg 1901HarrisonDunbar.jpg
Henry E. Gaylord, George M. Selfridge, Harrison E. Dunbar

1902-03HarryBrainard.jpg 1904CharlesBartlett.jpg 1905RayScott.jpg
Harry E. Brainerd, Charles W. Bartlett, Ray P. Scott

0000NoPhotograph.jpg 1907-08HughSinclair.jpg 1909-10ErnestBrown.jpg
David E. Hattiman, Hugh Sinclair, Ernest T. Brown

1911CharlesSmith.jpg 1912FrederickWebster.jpg 1913LeonDunklee.jpg
Charles H. Smith, Frederick H. Webster, Leon H. Dunklee

1914AlbertHager.jpg 1915DavidGlassford.jpg 1916WilliamDowns.jpg
Albert Hagar, David Glassford, William H. Downs

1917-18MarineCooper.jpg 1919RalphBatchelor.jpg 1920AlexanderSinclair.jpg
Marine Cooper, Ralph N. Bachelor, Alexander B. Sinclair

1921IrvingRoyston.jpg 1922RobertHall.jpg 1923GeorgeCanney.jpg
Irving Royston, Robert Hall, George F. Canney

1924JamesWeirJr.jpg 1925NormanRichards.jpg 1926DwightEaton.jpg
James C. Weir, Jr., Norman H. Richards, Dwight H. Eaton

1927JamesIngham.jpg 1928WilliamBrown.jpg 1929AlbertSortonJr.jpg
James J. Ingham, William H. Brown, Albert Sorton, Jr.

1930CarlCarlson.jpg 1931-32RalphBurnett.jpg 1933RalphWilson.jpg
Carl A. Carlson, Ralph H. Burnett, Ralph B. Wilson

1934RonaldAstley.jpg 1935RobertBrainerd.jpg 1936StanleyScott.jpg
Ronald Astley, Robert A. Brainerd, Stanley A. Scott

1937EdwinLewis.jpg 1938SamuelWatson.jpg 1939HaroldHansen.jpg
Edwin A. Lewis, Samuel A. Watson, Harold A. Hansen

1940ClarenceSmiledge.jpg 1941AWilliamAstley.jpg 1942CharlesBuss.jpg
Clarence H. Smiledge, A. William Astley, Charles J. Buss, Jr.

1943JHoldenCamp.jpg 1944JosephGriffin.jpg 1945ErnestSmith.jpg
J. Holden Camp, Joseph G. Griffin, Ernest C. Smith

1946JosephLacey.jpg 1947HueyMcKay.jpg 1948EdgarThompson.jpg
Joseph J. Lacey, Huey H. McKay, Edgar G. Thompson

1949EdwardNorris.jpg 1950WilliamGreen.jpg 1951CharlesLempkeJr.jpg
Edward Norris, William Green, Charles Lempke, Jr.

1952CarltonStiles.jpg 1953ThomasHardy.jpg 1954RobertWilson.jpg
Carlton O. Stiles, Robert T. Hardy, Robert W. Wilson

1955KennethSnape.jpg 1956WKBrooksbankJr.jpg 1957ErnestPerron.jpg
Kenneth A. Snape, W. K. Brooksbank, Jr., Ernest E. Perron

1958ThomasSimpson.jpg 1959ClarenceDeWolfe.jpg 1960PhilipHano.jpg
Thomas S. Simpson, Clarence C. DeWolfe, Philip Hano

1961AlfredCharron.jpg 1962DavidLewis.jpg 1963WilliamColgan.jpg
Alfred P. Charron, David W. Lewis, William H. Colgan

1964AllanStewart.jpg 1965HarrisonFecteau.jpg 1966FrankObremskiJr.jpg
Allen W. Stewart, Harrison B. Fecteau, Frank Obremski, Jr.

1967JosephChampagne.jpg 1968RaymondDuff.jpg 1969WilfredHatchJr.jpg
Joseph R. P. Champagne, Raymond I. Duff, Wilfred O. Hatch, Jr.

1970FrancisDressell.jpg 1971AlbertAsprey.jpg 1972RichardScott.jpg
Francis R. Dressell, Albert D. J. Asprey, Richard B. Scott

1973WalterSchmitter.jpg 1974KennethWilson.jpg 1975RonaldJackson.jpg
Walter E. Schmitter, Kenneth S. Wilson, Ronald E. Jackson

1976KennethHaskins.jpg 1977LeonardNeumannJr.jpg 1978LouisLaferriere.jpg
Kenneth C. Haskins, Leonard A. Neumann, Jr., Louis Laferriere

1979RogerMartin.jpg 1980RobertTucker.jpg 1981JamesHoisington.jpg
Roger Martin, Robert Tucker, James Hoisington

1982WKBrooksbankJr.jpg 1983PhilipHanoIII.jpg 1984WilliamMandell.jpg
W. K. Brooksbank, Jr., Philip Hano, III, William Mandell

1985EugeneAnderson.jpg 1986ChristopherBascom.jpg 1987JohnGauger.jpg
Eugene G. Anderson, Christopher D. Bascom, John M. Gauger

1988WilliamDaly.jpg 1989RaymondLeClair.jpg 1990JohnWehrJr.jpeg
William P. Daly, Raymond J. LeClair, John E. Wehr, Jr.

1991-92HenryFusari.jpg 1993DavidLewis.jpg 1994+98JamesCassidy.jpg
Henry A. Fusari, David Lewis, James A. Cassidy

0000NoPhotograph.jpg 1996DonaldCherry.jpg 1997MarkMueller.jpg
Donald L. Grise, Donald T. Cherry, Mark C. Mueller

1994+98JamesCassidy.jpg 1990JohnWehrJr.jpeg 0000NoPhotograph.jpg
James A. Cassidy, John E. Wehr, Jr., Clark Stevens Mandell

0000NoPhotograph.jpg 0000NoPhotograph.jpg 2003DonaldSargent.jpg
Mark A. Cohen, Michael Wehr, Donald Sargent

0000NoPhotograph.jpg 2005-06EdwardAlford.jpg 2007-08PaulCataldo.jpg
Brian T. Gibbons, Edward L. Alford, Paul A. Cataldo

2009RobertStGeorge.jpg 2010RalphLamy.jpg 2012-13TylerSeavey.jpg
Robert D. St. George, Ralph Lamy, Karl Ferguson, Tyler W. Seavey


REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS

  • Petition for Dispensation: 1869
  • Petition for Charter: 1870

ANNIVERSARIES

  • 1919 (50th Anniversary)
  • 1944 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1969 (Centenary)
  • 1994 (125th Anniversary)

VISITS BY GRAND MASTER

BY-LAW CHANGES

1873 1876 1888 1901 1912 1921 1922 1923 1924 1927 1936 1947 1951 1961 1974 1976 1980 1982 1983 1988 1989 1993 1995 2001 2008

HISTORY

  • 1919 (50th Anniversary History; not in Proceedings; see below)
  • 1944 (75th Anniversary History, 1944-55; see below)
  • 1969 (Centenary History, 1969-131)
  • 1994 (125th Anniversary History, 1994-73)

50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1919

South Hadley Falls, Fiftieth Anniversary, March 29, 1919.
By Fred M. Smith.

The last four years for the world - the last two years, especially, for this country, has been a history making epoch, such as the world has never witnessed before. The overthrow of dynasties, of kings and queens, the crushing of long matured and carefully laid plans for world dominion, the rise of democracy, the deeds of valor, the long sufferings and great sacrifices, the immense works accomplished, have all been such that they will remain indelibly recorded en the memories of this generation and generations yet to come, and last until time shall be no more.

But history of the more common place varieties, especially in a time like this, is dry and uninteresting reading at the best, while the history of a Lodge cannot be other than of the most prosaic sort. No one realizes this more than your present historian, yet custom seems to have decreed that a history is one of the essential features on the occasion of anniversaries,and were it not for this custom your historian would have hesitated to write a history of Mt. Holyoke Lodge in the closing period of this history making epoch and to read it at this late hour after the working of the third degree.

At the outset I want to say that your historian has been handicapped in clearing up certain disputed points and inconsistencies in the early history of the Lodge and in certain omissions, owing to the fact that the first book of records was burned,when our Lodge room was destroyed by fire in 1886 and also to the fact that all the Charter members of the Lodge have passed on, so that he could not look to any of these for a confirmation of facts.

R. W. David W. Crafts, District Deputy of the 10th Masonic District, to which the Lodge was first assigned, truthfully said in his report to the Grand Lodge in 1869 that Mt. Holyoke Lodge was an offspring of Mt. Tom Lodge of Holyoke. He then enumerated the first list of members under the dispensation, stating that,with one exception,all had been dimltted from Mt. Tom Lodge.

There were fifteen petitioners for a Dispensation,which was granted by the Most Worshipful William Sewall Gardner, Grand Master and Right Worshipful Solon Thornton, Recording Grand Secretary, on March 30, 1869. The petitioners were:

  • Rev.George E. Fisher
  • James O.Allen
  • William Harris
  • Benjamin C. Brainard
  • E.Ogden Dwight
  • George F. Bassett
  • John A. Smith
  • Rev. Richard Knight
  • Martin V. B. Jenkins
  • Richard Green
  • Irving W. Brown
  • John Sinclair
  • Karl August Kappell
  • Emerson B. Judd

  • Frederick W. Moos

The first officers under the dispensation were;

  • George E. Fisher, Master
  • Emerson B.Judd, Senior Warden
  • William Harris, Junior Warden
  • H. Ogden Dwight, Secretary
  • Benjamin C. Brainard, Treasurer

Right here is where the first variation or inconsistency in the records appears.

A printed list of officers, in a pamphlet .published by the Lodge in 1888, containing its By-Laws, gives James O. Allen as the first Senior Warden, whereas the Grand Lodge records give Emerson B. Judd as the first Senior Warden. It is hard to see, at this distance, how Brother Allen could have been the Senior Warden under the dispensation,as the records show that he joined the Lodge by affiliation the following year. On the other hand Bro. Judd, who had been dimitted from Mt.Tom Lodge, became affiliated with Ionic Lodge at Easthampton the following year. It is a curious fact that neither of these brothers appear among the petitioners for a Charter in 1870. The list, otherwise, is identical with the list who petitioned for a dispensation, but for some reason did not sign the petition for a Charter. Evidently the petitioners for a Charter were not of the superstitious sort,for there were thirteen of them and the Charter was granted to them on June 6, 1870, and was signed by William Sewall Gardner, Grand Master; Samuel C. Lawrence, Senior Grand Warden; Richard Briggs, Junior Grand Warden; Solon Thornton, Recording Grand Secretary.

Following is a list of the Charter members,and the lodge in which each received his degrees;-

  • Rev.George E. Fisher, Hope Lodge
  • George F. Bassett, Evening Star Lodge
  • Martin V. B. Jenkins, Frederick Lodge, Conn.
  • Richard Green, Apollo Lodge, Suffield, Conn.
  • John Sinclair; John A.Smith; Frederick W. Moos; Karl August Kappell; Benjamin C. Brainard; Irving W. Brown; Rev. Richard Knight; R.Ogden Dwight; William Harris, all in Mt. Tom Lodge.

The first complete list of officers of the lodge,is that for the first year under the Charter, and is as follows:-

  • George E. Fisher, Master
  • James O. Allen, Senior Warden
  • William Harris, Junior Warden
  • Benjamin C. Brainard, Treasurer
  • John L. Mathews, Secretary
  • Richard Knight, Chaplain
  • Martin V. B. Jenkins, Marshal
  • George F. Bassett, Senior Deacon
  • John A. Smith, Junior Deacon
  • Richard Green, Senior Steward
  • Irving W. Brown, Junior Steward
  • John Sinclair, Tyler

The lodge was organized in the old school building on School Street and has occupied six different lodge rooms during its existence of fifty years. The first lodge room was in the old Glasgow Co.'s building situated just west of the vacant lot on the north side of School Street, the fourth building west of the school-house. This was occupied some four or five years until the Lodge moved in the Graves and Walton building at the corner of Bridge and Main Streets,and which was afterwards known as Dudley's Hall, and the Lodge occupied the third floor of this building, until the building was burned on Sept. 5, 1886. It was in this fire that the first book of the Records of the Lodge was burned, together with all the property of the Lodge,including its furniture and Charter. The present Charter of the Lodge is simply a copy of the original one. The things that were saved were the present Jewels of the Lodge; these were kept in a case on the wall, similar to the one now used. This fell face downwards and protected the Jewels, which were found later in the day by our late brother. Past Master Serbertrum E.Bliss. Two evenings after the fire, the Lodge met in the old Grand Army Hall on Main St. It was voted at that time to accept the invitation of Charles C. Smith Grand Army Post to occupy their rooms until permanent quarters were obtained. In September, however, the Lodge voted to accept the invitation of Mt. Tom Lodge to use their rooms which at that time were located over the present Public Market on High St., Holyoke. The Grand Master authorized the Lodge to occupy these quarters until suitable apartments within the jurisdiction of Mt. Holyoke Lodge could be secured. The Lodge remained there until February 3, 1887, when it returned to their old original quarters in the Glasgow Co.'s building on School St. On April 7 of that year, it was voted to accept an offer of Smith & Hennick for the lease of a lodge room in the building which they proposed to erect on the site of the old Dudley Hall building. Owing to a change In the plans for this building, a hall was not included,and the lodge remained in its School St. quarters until its annual meeting, November 3, 1892, when they met in their new Lodge room in the Carey building on Main St.,the building now occupied by Bro. A .P. Lane for his market.

On November 25 of that year a public installation of Officers was held with a very large attendance of members, visiting Masons, and friends of the Lodge. On that occasion Mt. Tom Lodge presented a clock to the Lodge, and the same is still in use in the Lodge room.

A lease of this Lodge room was taken for ten years. The lease was arranged by a committee who showed considerable foresight; for when the ten years had elapsed, the new landlord insisted on a large increase in rent before granting a new lease. But when a clause in the original lease was pointed out to him which provided that the Lodge should have the privilege of renewing the lease at the same rental he swallowed his disappointment and bided his tine until the second lease expired. For a year after the second lease expired the Lodge simply rented the rooms from month to month. In the meantime our patron saint, St.Patrick. came on the scene. He was a new landlord. He figured that the Lodge had no other place to go and would be obliged to remain there and consequently boosted the rent one hundred percent. The landlord was partly right in his surmise, for it was true the Lodge had no other place to go; but the members did not agree with him that they were obliged to stay there. When the landlord found the Lodge had decided to vacate he offered to allow them to remain at the former rent; but under the circumstances and judging from the temper of the members, it is doubtful if they would have remained if the rent had been made free. The Lodge vacated these quarters September 1,1913. after having occupied them twenty-one years. lona Lodge of Odd Fellows, at South Hadley Center, came to our rescue and offered the use of their Lodge rooms, reciprocating a favor that Mt.Holyoke Lodge had shown that Lodge when it was instituted a few years ago, when it offered them the use of our Lodge rooms while the Odd Fellows building was being erected.

The first meeting in Odd Fellows Hall was held September 4, 1913 and the Lodge continued to hold its meetings there until the regular monthly meeting in March 1915. Although the members had to travel by trolley four miles, the attendance at the meetings while occupying Odd Fellows Hall was good and fully up to the average, and there was plenty of work during that period. During our sojourn at South Hadley Center the members of the Lodge were not asleep, but immediately took steps toward securing a building of their own. At the outset it was found that the Lodge, as a Lodge, could not hold real estate; consequently a Masonic Association was organized and chartered whose purpose was to provide quarters for Mt. Holyoke Lodge. There was a nest egg, in the shape of a fund raised by the Mt. Moriah degree team, which served as a start for the new building. This, with the proceeds of a fair,and a generous subscription for bonds by the members, made the building of a Temple possible. The land was secured of the Carew heirs, and also by an exchange of a small portion of this with the Congregational Church; so that during the summer of 1914 the building was underway.

The Corner-Stone was laid with appropriate Masonic ceremonies on September 10, 1914, before a large gathering of Masons and their friends, by R. W. Eugene L. Sheldon of Easthampton, District Deputy of the 17th Masonic District, Acting Grand Master, assisted by R. W. Clarence A. Brodeur of Westfield, Acting Deputy Grand Master; R. W. Chauncey E. Peck of Wilbraham, Senior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge of Mass., Wor. Bro. Edwin L. Davis, Acting Junior Grand Warden; R. W. Charles C. Spellman of Springfield, Past Grand Warden; R. W. Edwin A. Blodgett of Springfield, Past Grand Warden; Wor. Louis L. Campbell of Northampton, Acting Grand Secretary; Wor. Lewis M. Richards of Holyoke, Acting Grand Treasurer; Rev. Bro. Henry H. Morrill of Springfield, Acting Grand Chaplain; R. W. Harry P. Ballard of Malden, Acting Grand Marshal; R. W. William E. Gibbs of Westfield, D. D. G. M. of the 18th District; and R. W. Arthur P. Delabarre of Conway, D. D. G. M. 14th District.

The following is a list of the contents of the box, collected by Past Master, Serbertrum E. Bliss, and deposited in the Corner-Stone of the Temple:-

  • History of Mt.Holyoke Lodge;
  • Acts and Resolves of the Mass. General Court, 1914;
  • Manual of the General Court, 1914;
  • Program of the Sesquicentennial Celebration of South Hadley, 1903;
  • Proceedings of the 38th Annual Session of the Grand Chapter, O.E.S., 1914;
  • List of Lodges, A.F. & A.M., 1914;
  • Assessors' List of South Hadley,1914;
  • By-Laws of Mt.Holyoke Lodge, Holyoke Council, Mt. Holyoke Royal Arch Chapter, George E. Fisher Chapter, O.E.S., No. 115; Springfield Commandery;
  • List of Officers and Members of Springfield Commandery; Melha Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S.; Bela Grotto; Grand Lodge of Mass., A.F.&.A.M.,1914;
  • Voters' List, South Hadley, 1914;
  • Old Maps and Papers, Town of South Hadley, 1796 and 1797;
  • Mt. Moriah Announcements,1909, 1910, 1911, 1912, 1914;
  • Social Programs of Mt. Holyoke Lodge, 1896 and 1897;
  • Souvenir of the Springfield Masonic Dedication, Oct. 24, 1893;
  • Mansir Guide and Vally Guide, Sept. 1914;
  • Constitutions of Grand Lodge;
  • Fire District Reports, No. 1 & No. 2;
  • Exemplification Notices;
  • Official Visitations of R. W. Horace W. Gaylord, 1890, and R. W. Eugene L. Sheldon, 1914;
  • Church notice of the laying of the Corner-Stone, September 26, 1914;
  • Notice of Past Masters' Night, April 16,1914, with list of Officers and Past Masters;
  • Duplicate of Charter of Mt. Holyoke Lodge;
  • Petition for membership;
  • List of members of Mt. Holyoke Lodge, Charter and elected;
  • List of Charter and elective members of George E. Fisher Chapter, O.E.S., No. 115;
  • Notification of Past Masters' Associations of the 17th and 18th Districts;
  • Mt. Holyoke Lodge seals;
  • Photographs:
    • 1st Home of Masonry in Western Mass., built in Orange, 1750;
    • Masonic Home, Charlton,Mass.;
    • Masonic Home, School St.;
    • Masonic Home, Main St.;
    • Masonic Home, Main & Bridge Sts.
    • Masonic Temple in course of construction;
    • Odd Fellows Hall, South Hadley Center, the present meeting place of Mt. Holyoke Lodge;
    • 16 views of South Hadley Falls, including the three churches;
    • The old Brick Chapel, North Main St.
  • Relics of the Masonic fire, September 5, 1886:
    • Coins of 1914;
    • Postage stamps of different denominations;
    • Photograph of the new Town Hall;
    • List of Town Officers;
    • Mt.Holyoke Masonic Association;
    • Blue Prints of the building plans of the Masonic Temple;
    • List of members of different town organizations;
    • District Deputy Notification;
    • Copy of Corner-Stone Laying Exercises;
    • Charter and By-Laws of the Masonic Building Association;
    • List of Official Suite at the laying of the Corner-Stone.
  • The following newspapers:
    • Springfield Union;
    • Springfield Republican;
    • Holyoke Transcript;
    • Holyoke Telegram;
    • Hampshire Gazette;
    • Easthampton News;
    • Holyoke Democrat;
    • New England Rundschau;
    • La Justice;
    • Springfield Vorwärts;
    • Free Press;
    • Conn. Staats Zeitung;
    • Die Bene;
    • Teutonia.
  • Parcel Post or 4th Class Mail Rates etc.;
  • Masonic Leather Apron;
  • Corn, Wine and Oil, in vials, and Chalk, Charcoal and Clay.

It was on March 4, 1915 that the Lodge held its first meeting in the new Temple, with an out turning of members such as had probably never before been seen in the history of the Lodge.

On April 10,1915,the Temple was dedicated by the Officers of the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts,as follows:-

The Officers were entertained at luncheon at the Holyoke Club. The Grand Lodge was opened in Ample Form in one of the apartments of the Temple,at 2.30 P.M., and under escort of a Committee entered the Lodge room in procession, where the members of the Lodge and visiting Brethren were assembled in goodly numbers. The Grand Officers then performed the ceremonies of dedication, in accordance with the established ritual,and the Grand Marshal proclaimed that the Temple had been duly dedicated.

During the ceremonies solos were rendered by Br. Norman Dash of Mt.Tom Lodge. After the formal ceremonies of dedication,an historical paper by Bro. Sydney Ingham was read by Wor. David Glassford. The dedicatory address was given by R. W. Frederick W. Hamilton, Recording Grand Secretary, who had been delegated by the Moat Worshipful Grand Master to perform that service. After a prayer by the Acting Grand Chaplain, the Grand Lodge was closed in Ample Form. At six o'clock the Grand Officers and members of the Lodge sat down to a banquet in the banquet room of the Temple. After dinner remarks were made by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, the Recording Grand Secretary and the Grand Marshal.

Thus was our Temple built and dedicated, and it has proved to be a real Masonic home, such as the Lodge has never enjoyed. It has proved ideal for the uses of the Lodge, as well as for social purposes. It was reared as the result of hard work and many sacrifices, and should be appreciated, not only by those who have had a hand in its building, but by those who have come into the Lodge since its completion - of which there are a goodly number, numbering in fact about a third of our present membership. To the ladies of the Eastern Star Chapter much credit is due, for their constant and efficient help, which has proved an important factor in making the Temple a possibility.

There have been thirty four Masters who have sat in the East, who, with their terms of office, are as follows -

  • Rev. George E. Fisher, 1869, 1870, 1871
  • Lewis B. Hooker, 1872, 1873, 1876, 1877
  • M. V. B. Jenkins, 1874
  • Charles Church, 1875
  • James O. Walker, 1878, 1879
  • William N. Price, 1880
  • Phillip Hyde, 1881-1883
  • Horace W. Gaylord, 1884
  • Earl M. Scott, 1885-1887
  • Sebertrum E. Bliss, 1888
  • William H. Smith, 1889, 1890
  • Myron H. Judd, 1891, 1892
  • Fred M. Smith, 1893
  • Will W. Gaylord, 1894, 1895
  • Frederick B. Herrick, 1896
  • Albert D. Cook, 1897
  • Albert G. Hahn, 1898
  • Henry E. Gaylord, 1899
  • George M. Selfridge, 1900
  • Harrison E. Dunbar, 1901
  • Harry E. Brainerd, 1902, 1903
  • Charles W. Bartlett, 1904
  • Ray P. Scott, 1905
  • David E. Hattiman, 1906
  • Hugh Sinclair, 1907, 1908
  • Ernest T. Brown, 1909, 1910
  • Charles H. Smith, 1911
  • Frederick H. Webster, 1912
  • Leon H. Dunklee, 1913
  • Albert Hagar, 1914
  • David Glassford, 1915
  • William H. Downs, 1916
  • Marine Cooper, 1917, 1918
  • Ralph N. Bachelor, 1919

Thus it will be seen that Wor. Bro. Hooker was the only Master who served four years, but this service was in two terms of two years each. Wor. Bros. Fisher, Hyde, Earl K. Scott each served three years. Wor. Bros. Walker, W. H. Smith, Judd, Will W. Gaylord, Brainerd, Sinclair, Brown and Cooper each served two years, while the reminder were consistent believers in a one term policy.

Twelve Past Masters have died and passed on to that undiscovered country from whose bourne no traveler returns. The first was Wor. Bro. Martln V. B. Jenkins, who died November 2, 1880 and the last being Wor. Bro. Albert G. Hohn who died April 27, 1917.

The oldest Past Master,in point of service, is Wor. Bro. Earl M. Scott, now residing in Dalton, Mass., and the next is Wor. Bro. William H.Smith. Five Past Masters are now living out of town, although three of these are still affiliated with Mt. Holyoke Lodge.

Mt. Holyoke Lodge has had an enviable record is the recent World War. It has reason to be proud of its members who were in the service,and the records that they made. While so many homes, organizations and communities have been saddened by the loss of those who have been called to make the supreme sacrifice, we rejoice that of all those who have gone from our midst into the army and navy none of them have been included in the Nation's long list of casualties. Various other members have contributed their bit in various war activities,serving either in the State Guard.,the war committees of the town,Liberty L an and other war work campaigns,helping as best they could at home,while the younger men served in the field of action or on the sea.

The Roll of Honor of the Lodge is as follows:-
ARMY

  • Captain Herbert Robert Audet
  • Lieut. Frederick Downs
  • Lieut. Andrew Charles Smith
  • Sgt. Albert William Astley
  • Sgt. Sydney Ingham
  • Sgt. Frank Marsh Johnson
  • Sgt. Norman Frederick Lamb
  • Sgt. Norman Henry Richards
  • Corp. Joseph Henry Pierce
  • Corp. John Peter Mitchell
  • Grover Cleveland Carter
  • Stanley Pettison Downs
  • Alexander Simpson Ford
  • Alexander George Ford
  • Arthur Thomas Hessom
  • Joseph Clark Webster
  • Hobert Hudson Wingate
  • Harry Lloyd Hunt

NAVY

  • Edwin Harold Moffatt
  • Sumner P. Winslow

The total is twenty.

Nine of these have seen overseas service, and five are still with the American Expeditionary Forces. In addition Hobert Burnett, Jr. who was elected to receive the degrees was called to the service before he was initiated. There have been twelve sons of members of the Lodge who have served in forces of the United States, as follows:-

  • Lieut. Winthrop H. Smith
  • Lieut. Arthur Easterbrook Whittemore
  • Corp. George Henry Glackner
  • Corp. Lincoln Bardwell Smith
  • Walter Charles Cordes
  • Frank William Glackner
  • Hobert Harvey Hall
  • Hobert Harrison McElwain
  • Corp. Charles Calvin Rae
  • Frederick Merwin Smith, Jr.
  • Edson Stanley Dunbar

Seven of these saw service in France.

As to service in the Civil War, of course the Lodge was not instituted until nearly four years after that conflict came to a close, but in the early days of the Lodge, twenty-three veterans of that war,who served in the Union Forces, were enrolled in the membership of the Lodge, as follows:

  • Richard Green
  • Charles Church
  • John L. Mathews
  • Edwin C. Hanks
  • Lewis B. Hooker
  • Martin T. B. Jenkins
  • Reuben Hyde
  • Dr. Gardner Cox
  • John W. Hersey
  • Seth Lathrop
  • Joseph E. Lloyd
  • William Smith
  • John Kirkpatrick
  • Edmund H. Pearson
  • Frank M. Pettigrew
  • Nathan W. Loveland
  • Philip Hyde
  • Burritt Judd
  • James S. Moffatt
  • Thomas VanRiper
  • Charles H. Davenport
  • Joel S. Walkley
  • Thomas White (who died after having been passed to the degree of F. C.)

In the Spanish War, Frank A. Pierce and Lester Jackson served in the Army of the United States, both in Co.B, 2nd. Mass. Infantry.

Mt. Holyoke Lodge was originally in the 10th Masonic District. Later, and for the greater part of its existence, it was in the 16th Masonic District, while a few years ago, in the new arrangements,it was assigned to the 17th District.

For a long time the Lodge had jurisdiction over the north part of Chicopee, which joins this town ,and which in most respects is a part of the village of South Hadley Falls. A ruling of the Grand Lodge some few years ago took away that privilege, a denial which prevents eligibles from the degrees in Masonry for the reason that they object to going through this town and Holyoke in order to reach Chicopee or Chicopee Falls to take their degrees, which they feel in all justice they should be allowed to take nearer to their places of residence. Our friends down the river seem to prefer to take a chance of getting as occasional member rather than release jurisdiction for those who while actually living within the limits of Chicopee desire to join Mt. Holyoke Lodge.

Two Past Masters of the Lodge have served as District Deputies. R. W. Horace Gaylord served in the old 16th District during the years 1889-90-91, while R. W. Charles H. Smith served in the 17th District during the years 1917-18. Past Master Henry E. Gaylord has also served as the District Deputy of the 5th Capitular District.

Rev. George E. Fisher, the first Master of the Lodge, after his removal from town, affiliated with Pacific Lodge of Amherst and afterwards became Master of that Lodge. He died April 4, 1905,and a delegation from Mt. Holyoke Lodge attended his funeral in Amherst. The local Chapter of the Eastern Star was named in his memory, and a more fitting name could not have been chosen by the order affiliated with the Masonic Fraternity of this town.

The first of the Charter Members of the Lodge who died was Martin V. B. Jenkins,who died November 2, 1880. The last of the original Charter Members was Karl August Kappell, who passed away July 24,1918.

The oldest living member,in point of membership,is Wor. Bro. Henry E. Gaylord, who received his Master Mason Degree February 17, 1870. The next members are a pair, P. August Moss and John Kirkpatrick, who received their first two degrees together, while the former was raised September 7, 1871 and the latter September 14, 1871.

Those who have served the longest in any office have been Thomas Van Riper who was Secretary for 27 years, and who died October 1,1910, and John Kirkpatrick, the present Tyler. Charles Benway, Inside Sentinel, and John Sinclair, Chaplain.

During the fifty years of the Lodge, there have been 469 applications, 430 for the degrees and 39 for affiliation. 316 have received their degrees in full while three took only part of their degrees (two having died before taking all their degrees and one never appeared after taking his Entered Apprentice Degree.) Three are now on the way, while three applications for the degrees and for affiliation are pending. The present membership of the Lodge is 192,with two candidates having taken their first degree and one waiting for his first. Three hundred and sixty-six, all told, have been on our membership list.

The Anti-Masonic feeling, so prevalent in this country years ago, and of which few of us Masons of today have little personal knowledge, was reflected in the report which R. W. Samuel B. Spooner of Springfield, District Depaty of the 10th Masonic District, made to the Grand Lodge in 1870 and in which he paid a beautiful tribute to Wor. Bro. Fisher as follows:- "The newly constituted Lodge, Mt. Holyoke Lodge of South Hadley Falls, is fortunate in securing for its Master a brother so skilled in the Craft and so imbued with the spirit of the Order. Within the last three months, the enemy has twice appeared in the village, and in the name of religion bitterly attacked religion's most powerful ally - our beneficent institution. Yet so judicious has been the conduct of the members of the Lodge,and so profound the respect for its presiding officer, that the local sympathy is decidedly with the Order."

It is no exaggeration to say that Mt. Holyoke Lodge has always been a strong organization. It was strong in the personnel of its Charter Members, and strong in its quality of membership during its fifty years. Its members have always been largely identified with the affairs of the town,the churches,and with all those things that tend to the uplift of a community. It goes without saying that it has been the strong organization of the town, though not making as much noise perhaps as some others at times.

I would call it a harmonious Lodge. Not that the dove of peace has always hovered around the portals of its sanctum. It would be a remarkable Lodge, if at times there were not differences of opinion among its members that sometimes clashed. But such differences have always been short lived, and have been swallowed up in the existing good fellowship of its members, and the true Masonic spirit has prevailed which is so essential for the continued success of a Masonic body.

In closing this history which, I warned you at the outset, must necessarily be dry and which is far from being complete, Ican only express the hope that Mt. Holyoke Lodge will show in the nest fifty years as much real growth as much real strength in the character of its membership as much true Masonic spirit among its members and continue to be as much of a power for good in the community,as it has during the fifty years Just closed.

The above History of Mount Holyoke Lodge was written and delivered by Brother Fred M. Smith at the Fiftieth Anniversary, March 29, 1919.

75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, MARCH 1944

History of Mount Holyoke Lodge, by Historical Committee

  • R.W. Ronald Astley, Chairman
  • R.W. David Glassford
  • Wor. Harry E. Brainerd

Twenty-five years ago, March 29, 1919, one of our most esteemed members, Worshipful Fred M. Smith, presented a history of Mount Holyoke Lodge on the fiftieth anniversary celebration. The first portion of that history is worthwhile repeating tonight because it would remind us that history truly repeats itself. He wrote:

The last four years for the world. . . . the last two years especially for this country, has been a history making epoch, such as the world has never witnessed before. The overthrow of dynasties, of Kings and Queens, and crushing of long matured and carefully laid plans for world dominion, the rise of democracy, the deeds of valor, the long sufferings and great sacrifices) the great works accomplished, the saddened homes and communities, the ultimate triumph of right, have all been such that they will remain indelibly recorded on the memories of this generation and generations yet to come, and last till time shall be no more.

A lodge is a certain number of Masons duly assembled, legally constituted, having the Holy Bible, Square and Compasses, with a Charter or Warrant empowering them to work.

Seventy-five years ago, four years after the Civil War, a group of respected Masons and citizens of South Hadley evidently read and re-read this important paragraph of Masonic law and decided at that time that it would be well to petition the Grand Lodge for a dispensation for a Lodge, to be known as Mount Holyoke. Perhaps this group looked out over the Connecticut Valley at the Mount Holyoke range and from this picture of strength and beauty decided to name this child of Masonry Mount Holyoke Lodge, knowing that in its growth there should be strength to support and beauty to adorn all great and important undertakings.

Early in 1869, an application was made to the Grand Lodge for a Dispensation which was granted on March 30, 1869, by Most Worshipful William Sewall Gardner, Grand Master, and Right Worshipful Solon Thornton, Recording Grand Secretary. In his report to the Grand Lodge in 1869, Right Worshipful D. W. Crafts, District Deputy Grand Master of the 10th Masonic District, in which the Lodge was first assigned, truthfully said that Mount Holyoke Lodge was an offspring of Mount Tom Lodge. He then enumerated the signers under the dispensation, stating that with one exception, all had been dimitted from Mount Tom Lodge. The fifteen petitioners for a dispensation were:

  • Rev. George E. Fisher
  • James O. Allen
  • William Harris
  • Benjamin C. Brainard
  • R. Ogden Dwight
  • George F. Bassett
  • John A. Smith
  • Martin V. B. Jenkins
  • Richard Green
  • Irving W. Brown
  • John Sinclair
  • Karl August Kappell
  • Emerson B. Judd
  • Frederick W. Moos
  • Rev. Richard Knight

The officers under the Dispensation were:

  • Rev. George E. Fisher, Worshipful Master
  • Emerson B. Judd, Senior Warden
  • William Harris, Junior Warden
  • R. Ogden Dwight, Secretary
  • Benjamin C. Brainard, Treasurer

The petitioners for a Charter, none of them superstitious because there were thirteen, received this Charter June 6, 1870, and this document was signed by William Sewall Gardner, Grand Master; Samuel C. Lawrence, Senior Grand Warden; Richard Briggs, Junior Grand Warden; Solon Thornton, Recording Grand Secretary. A listing of the thirteen Charter members and the Lodges in which they received their.degrees are as follows:

The history would not be complete without a recording of the first officers who worked under the new Charter, and these officers were installed July 25, 1870.

  • Worshipful Master: Rev. George E. Fisher
  • Senior Warden: James O. Allen
  • Junior Warden: William Harris
  • Treasurer: Benjamin C. Brainard
  • Secretary: John L. Mathews
  • Senior Deacon: George F. Bassett
  • Junior Deacon: John A. Smith
  • Chaplain: Rev. Richard Knight
  • Marshal: Martin V. B. Jenkins
  • Senior Steward: Richard Green
  • Junior Steward: Irving W. Brown
  • Tyler: John Sinclair

Mount Holyoke Lodge was organized in the old school building on School Street and has occupied six locations during lhe past seventy-five years. The first lodge-room was in the Glasgow Company's building on School Street and remained there a trifle over four years. The Lodge then moved to the Graves and Walton Building at the corner of Main and Bridge Streets, which was afterwards known as Dudley's Hall. The entire third floor of this building was occupied by Mount Holyoke Lodge. On September 5, 1885, this building was destroyed by fire and all of the property of Mount Holyoke was destroyed with the exception of the present jewels, which were in a case on the wall of the Tyler's room, similar to the one now used. This case fell face downward, and protected the jewels, which were found later in the day by Brother Serbertrum E. Bliss.

The oldest recording in the Secretary's book is dated October 2, 1884, and Brother Thomas Van Riper, Secretary, closed his report as follows: "No further business appearing the lodge closed in peace and harmony." During these past seventy-five years peace and harmony truly has prevailed, else this Lodge would not have gone forward as it has, in the Masonic way of life.

Our oldest living Past Master, Worshipful William H. Smith, received his first appointment, that of Junior Deacon, by the late Worshipful Earl M. Scott on November 13, 1884. His presence here tonight thrills the Brethren of Mount Holyoke because he "knocked at the door of Freemasonry" on November 23, 1882, and has continued his interest in our institution up to the present time, a period of sixty-two years.

The first mention of charity outside of the Lodge is listed in the February 4, 1886, records: "On motion the treasurer was ordered to forward $5.00 to Grand Secretary for Texas Sufferers."

One of the most interesting excerpts from the records is dated August 26, 1886, and reads: "Lodge was opened on M.M. degree in due form. The Lodge was then formed in procession.and marched to the Connecticut River R.R. Depot and took a special train to Northampton assisting in the ceremony of laying the corner stone of the new county court house at the above named place, after which all marched to Round Hill and partook of a clam-bake and then returned.to the Connecticut River R.R. Depot and took a train to Holyoke and marched to the lodge room. The lodge was closed in due form. Thomas Van Riper, Secretary." The invitation for this ceremony was extended to Mount Holyoke on August 5, 1886, by Jerusalem Lodge of Northampton.

As previously stated, fire destroyed the Lodge on September 5, 1886, and the Grand Army Post immediately extended an invitation to use their rooms until permanent quarters were obtained. Two evenings after the fire, a meeting was held in Grand Army Hall by a special telegram dispensation received from Most Worshipful Abraham H. Howland, Jr., Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts. At the second meeting held in the Grand Army Hall, September 27, 1886, an invitation was read from Mount Tom Lodge extending the use of their rooms together with the paraphernalia until the Lodge obtained suitable rooms. Mount Tom Lodge at that time was located on High Street in Holyoke. We readily accepted this kind invitation and remained at Mount Tom until January 6, 1887, at which time it was voted to return to the original home on School Street, at an annual rental of $100.00 Per year. Our return to South Hadley Falls was on February 3, 1887, after holding six delightful meetings within the Mount Tom Lodge rooms.

Through an invitation received from Hampden Lodge in Springfield, we find that Mount Holyoke Lodge again took part at a public ceremony on February 22, 1889, at which time we assisted in the exercises of laying the corner stone of the Post Office Building in Springfield.

You and I think little of the many conveniences that we have at the present time, but in going through the records, we find that on March 7, 1889, an interesting motion was made: "Moved that a committee of three be appointed to confer with the Electric Light Co., in regard to electric lights - Bros. F. M. Smith, S. W. Johnson and S. E. Bliss were appointed."

In 1889 the Johnstown Flood caused nation-wide interest and sympathy. Mount Holyoke Lodge, in a small way, voted to assist the sufferers by sending $25.00 to the Grand Secretary of Pennsylvania.

Mount Holyoke has been honored by having four District Deputy Grand Masters and the first appointment was Right Worshipful Horace W. Gaylord, who made his official visit to the Lodge on October 24, 1889.

A very few years ago our own Grand Lodge strongly recommended that the Treasurers and Secretaries of all Lodges should be bonded in order to protect the individual Lodge and to make for a better business structure. On November 7, 1889: "Moved that the Treasurer give a bond of $1500.00. Carried." It is quite evident that our fore-fathers in Masonry had the same thoughts as we folks of fifty-five years later.

During the past year, perhaps because of the war, Lodges have had heavy schedules, such as two degrees in one evening or a business meeting and a degree which has sometimes caused the work to continue until a rather late hour. Here is a meeting in Mount Holyoke recorded on November 15, 1889:

  • Open Lodge in due form.
  • Installation of Officers by Rt. Wor. Horace W. Gaylord.
  • Lodge of M.M. closed and a Lodge of F..A. opened.
  • Bro. S. E. Bliss was again initiated E.A. for practice.
  • Lodge of E.A. was closed and a Lodge of F.C. opened.
  • Bro. S. E. Bliss was again passed to the degree of F.C. for practice.
  • Lodge of F.C. closed and a Lodge of M.M. opened.
  • Lodge closed in peace and harmony.

On March 3, 1892, it was moved that the Lodge accept the proposition of Mr. Carey for the whole of the top and part of the second floor of his block on Main Street (over Lane's Market), at a rental of $200.00 per year and amended that the Lodge take a lease for ten years. The committee who arranged this contract consisted of Brothers H. W. Gaylord, J. W. Bean, F. M. Smith, E. W. Thompson and H. E. Gaylord. It is of interest to note that sn August 4, 1892, the Lodge "moved the furnishing committee use a good generous sum to furnish the new Lodge Room. Carried."

The first meeting in the new Masonic Hall (Carey Building) was held on November 3, 1892, and at that meeting Brother Fred M. Smith was elected Worshipful Master. On the 25th of November a public installation of officers was held and 325 were present. The members now living who were present at that meeting are Worshipful Brothers Wm. H. Smith and A. D. Cooke and Brother Charles P. Hennick.

On January 4, 1894, an application from the Brethren of South Hadley was received asking permission to apply for a dispensation to form a Lodge ar South Hadley. Permission was granted by Mount Holyoke Lodge, but fortunately for all, nothing further developed along this thought.

An invitation from the committee on the celebration of the 150th anniversary of South Hadley was read on July 2, 1903, and a committee appointed, with Worshipful Fred M. Smith as Chairman. A month later this terse statement is recorded: "Report of Committee on float that they had performed the duty assigned them."

Again, this time on November 1, 1906, modern conveniences were in the minds of our Brethren when it was moved that the Lodge install gas in the kitchen.

One of our most beloved District Deputies, Right Worshipful Clarence A. Brodeur, on his visit to Mount Holyoke on April 18, 1907, presented remarks and suggestions from the Most Worshipful Grand Master in relation to a Masonic Home in Massachusetts. One month later the committee that was appointed reported favorable and it was then moved that Mount Holyoke contribute to the expense five per cent of the gross receipts every year for five years. In the address of the District Deputy nine years later, he said: "that Mount Holyoke Lodge stood at the head of the honor list in regard to the Masonic Home Fund having paid $758.58."

On August 7, 1913, it was voted to vacate the present quarters in the Carey Building at the expiration of the present term, namely: September 1, 1913, and it was further voted that a committee be appointed to negotiate with the Directors of Iona Lodge of Odd Fellows at South Hadley Center for the temporary use of their hall. We immediately changed our location to the Odd Fellows Hall, holding the first meeting on September 4, 1913, and continuing until we entered the present building. During the time that we held our meetings ar South Hadley Center, the members of Mount Holyoke formulated plans for a building of our own. The Mount Holyoke Masonic Association was organized and chartered, and immediately secured the land from the Carew heirs; also by an exchange of a small portion of this with the Congregational Church.

The corner stone of our new Masonic home was laid on September 26, 1914, with appropriate Masonic ceremonies. Right Worshipful Eugene L. Sheldon, Acting Grand Master, opened the exercises while members of the Grand Lodge Suite had places on an improvised platform. The officers of Mount Holyoke Lodge stood in a semi-circle before the stone and the invited guests were seated in the building. The address was delivered by Right Worshipful Clarence A. Brodeur, Acting Deputy Grand Master, and then principal of the Westfield Normal School. Perhaps the most impressive pan of this memorable occasion took place when three blasts of the bugle signified to those present that the stone had been laid according to the ritual of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge and that the stone had been laid level, square and plumb.

The official Grand Lodge Suite composed:

  • R. W. Eugene L. Sheldon of Easthampton as Grand Master
  • R. W. Clarence A. Brodeur of Westfield as Deputy Grand Master
  • R. W. Chauncey E. Peck of Wilbraham Senior Grand Warden
  • R. W. Edwin L. Davis of Chicopee Falls as Junior Grand Warden
  • Wor. Lewis N. Richards of Holyoke as Grand Treasurer
  • Wor. J. E. Bronson of Holyoke as Grand Secretary
  • Bro. Rev. H. H. Morrill of Springfield as Grand Chaplain
  • R. W. Harry P. Ballard of Maiden as Grand Marshal
  • R. W. Charles C. Spellman of Springfield, Past Grand Warden
  • R. W. Edwin A. Blodgett of Springfield, Past Grand Warden
  • R. W. William E. Gibbs of Westfield, D. D. G. M. 18th Dist.
  • R. W. Arthur P. Delabarre of Conway, D. D. G. M. 14th Dist.

It was on March 4, 1915, that Mount Holyoke Lodge held its first meeting in this temple, with an out-turning of members such as had never before been seen in the history of the Lodge. The following month, April 10, 1915, the temple was formally dedicated by the officers of Grand Lodge. Again Mount Holyoke Lodge had the opportunity of witnessing our Ancient Grand Lodge Ceremony, with Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, dedicating the building with Corn, Wine and Oil. The dedicatory address at this ceremony was delivered by one of the outstanding Masons of our time, Right Worshipful Frederick W. Hamilton, Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge, who spoke on "Universal Benevolence."

The Grand Lodge officers present at this meeting were:

Our own Right Worshipful David Glassford was Worshipful Master of Mount Holyoke during this period of our history.

It was on January 4, 1917, that the Worshipful Master announced that Mount Holyoke had again been greatly honored by having one of our members appointed Distict Deputy Grand Master of the 17th Masonic District - the late Right Worshipful Charles H. Smith, who served Masonry, and particularly this District, well during his two years as Deputy.

From the records of November 7, 1918, it was voted that the delegates to the Grand Lodge be instructed to vote to retain the old custom - one black ball to reject a candidate. Many times this question has been brought before Grand Lodge and it is interesting to note that our members of twenty-five years ago believed in the same method as practiced today.

We observed our fiftieth anniversary on March 29, 1919, with Worshipful Ralph Batchelor presiding in the East. Mount Holyoke was again pleased to welcome our Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott. It was at this meeting that Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott presented to one of our Past Masters, Worshipful Henry E. Gaylord, a Henry Price Medal for work well done.

On September 11, 1920, the Brethren of Mount Holyoke had the pleasure of attending the laying of the corner stone of the Masonic Temple in Holyoke. The Lodges in Holyoke and our Lodge in South Hadley have always extended hands of friendship across the Connecticut River, and it is only natural that we, too, were proud and happy. on this occasion. Our own Brother William Taylor Ramsay of Mount Holyoke Lodge, both an operative and speculative Mason, placed the corner stone. At the next regular meeting of Mount Holyoke, it was voted to extend an invitation to the Holyoke Lodges to use our Temple during the completion of their new building.

The Henry E. Gaylord Fund was started on September 6,1923, with a donation of $100.00 to be used for charitable purposes. Worshipful Henry E. Gaylord was the sponsor and the fund continues to be active in our Lodge. Along this same thought of charity, we notice that we voted that $50.00 be taken from the Charity Fund to be applied to the Mississippi Flood Fund of the Grand Lodge. This is another instance where the Brethren of Mount Holyoke extended their charity beyond the confines of our community.

Sadness comes to all Lodges and we in Mount Holyoke suffered a great loss on January 7, 1928, when our beloved Past Master, Worshipful Fred M. Smith, passed along to that undiscovered country. We in the Lodge and in this community were deeply appreciative of the service he rendered to his town, to the state and to the nation, as a sincere, loyal and patriotic citizen. It was through his untiring efforts that we of today have this building which we call our Masonic Home.

Honorary Membership in Mount Holyoke Lodge is rather a rarity because our records show that only three have received this honor. Right Worshipful Archibald A. Brooks of Mount Tom Lodge received honorary membership on December 1, 1932, and once again these two Lodges, Mount Tom and Mount Holyoke, were brought closer together in a Masonic way. Two years later, October 4, 1934, Right Worshipful Edwin Lyman Davis of Belcher Lodge, Past Deputy Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, was elected to honorary membership. For many years, Right Worshipful Brother Davis has been a vital part of our Lodge and it was quite fitting that he should become an honorary member of Mount Holyoke.

By appointment of Most Worshipful Claude L. Allen, Right Worshipful David Glassford of Mount Holyoke served our 17th District as District Deputy Grand Master during 1935-1936. This honor was deeply appreciated by our Lodge and our District truly benefited through the splendid leadership of Right Worshipful Brother Glassford.

The flood of March 1936 caused very heavy damage to our community, particularly to the business district, which was completely inundated by the waters of the Connecticut River. The C.C.C. boys stationed at Belchertown were called to our town to sand-bag the bulkheads at the dam and during their stay in South Hadley Falls, were housed in our Temple. Seventy army cots were placed in the banquet hall and also on the first floor of the building and we were pleased to be able to do our "bit" for those boys during those critical days. The four smaller rooms in the Temple were used.by the following merchants and they remained with us until their places of business were reopened:

  • W. C. Cowan Drug Company
  • Lane's Market
  • Miller Barber Shop
  • Bradley Tailor Shop

The Worshipful Master also extended invitations for the use of the Masonic Apartments to St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Knights of Columbus and the Red Men.

Most Worshipful Joseph Earl Perry appointed the fourth District Deputy Grand Master from our Lodge in 1939 and 1940, with Right Worshipful Ronald Astley serving the Lodges of the 17th District during that time.

On February 15, 1940, Right Worshipful Roy Perry Miles, then Senior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge, was received in Mount Holyoke as Acting Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts. It was at this meeting that Right Worshipful Brother Miles was presented an honorary membership in our Lodge. Regarding Right Worshipful "Roy" we can only say: "To know him, is to love him" and this is the sentiment of our Lodge to him.

Appropriate exercises were observed on April 27, 1940, at the celebration of the 25th anniversary of our Temple, with Right Worshipful Brothers Edwin L. Davis and Henry O. Holley as the speakers and Right Worshipful David Glassford as Historian.

The only Honorary Life Membership in Mount Holyoke is one that was presented to Right Worshipful David Glassford on November 6, 1941, after faithfully serving as Master, District Deputy Grand Master, Master of the 16th Lodge of Instruction and twenty-two years as Secretary of Mount Holyoke. The Joseph Warren Distinguished Service Medal was presented to him in 1938.

Regarding finances, during World War I and II we purchased War Bonds to the extent of $1200.00. On January 1, 1945, the Mount Holyoke Association Bonds mature and it is pleasing to know that the accumulated face value and interest now amount to only $1600.00. To our Building Association, we are truly grateful for this Masonic Home that they so graciously built for us Masons of today and the manner in which they have so ably financed this project.

For many years, we in Mount:Holyoke have been privileged in having as our tenants and our friends The George E. Fisher Chapter, No. 115, Order of the Eastern Star, who have aided the growth of our Lodge by their untiring efforts to assist at all times. To this splendid organization we are thankful.

This is the recording of seventy-five years of history in Mount Holyoke Lodge - a Lodge that is a vital part of our very lives. Yes, we are proud to be Masons - proud of our Lodge, Mount Holyoke, and we charge our members of the future to carry on this same tradition in Masonry.

And now to Mount Holyoke, we say: "May the Lord Bless you and keep you, may He cause His face to shine upon you, now and always."

OTHER

  • 1886 (Dispensation to meet in Holyoke due to fire, 1886-129)
  • 1887 (Granting of replacement charter due to fire, 1887-18)
  • 1903 (Case of a rejected candidate, 1903-85)

GRAND LODGE OFFICERS


DISTRICTS

1869: District 10 (Springfield)

1883: District 16 (Chicopee)

1911: District 17 (Holyoke)

1927: District 17 (Holyoke)

2003: District 27


LINKS

Lodge web site

Massachusetts Lodges