Difference between revisions of "MountHolyoke"

From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 156: Line 156:
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1881 1881]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMLawrence Lawrence])
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1881 1881]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMLawrence Lawrence])
* '''[http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1914 1914]''' (Eugene B. Sheldon, Acting Grand Master; Cornerstone laying)
* '''[http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1914 1914]''' (Eugene B. Sheldon, Acting Grand Master; Cornerstone laying)
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1915 1915]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMMJohnson M. Johnson; Hall Dedication; Special Communication)
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1915 1915]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMMJohnson M. Johnson]; Hall Dedication; Special Communication)
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1919 1919]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMLAbbott L. Abbott]; 50th Anniversary)
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1919 1919]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMLAbbott L. Abbott]; 50th Anniversary)
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1944 1944]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMACoolidge A. Coolidge]; 75th Anniversary; Special Communication)
* '''[http://www.masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MassachusettsYear1944 1944]''' ([http://masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=GMACoolidge A. Coolidge]; 75th Anniversary; Special Communication)

Revision as of 13:26, 20 May 2013


Location: South Hadley Falls

Chartered By: William Sewall Gardner

Charter Date: 06/08/1870 1870-124

Precedence Date: 03/30/1869

Current Status: Active


  • George E. Fisher, 1870, 1871
  • Lewis B. Hooker, 1872, 1873
  • M. V. B. Jenkins, 1874
  • Charles Church, 1875
  • Lewis B. Hooker, 1876, 1877
  • James O. Walker, 1878, 1879
  • William N. Price, 1880
  • Phillip Hyde, 1881-1883
  • Horace W. Gaylord, 1884; SN
  • Earl M. Scott, 1885-1887
  • Sebertrum E. Bliss, 1888
  • William H. Smith, 1889, 1890
  • Myron H. Judd, 1891, 1892
  • Fred M. Smith, 1893
  • Will W. Gaylord, 1894, 1895
  • Frederick B. Herrick, 1896
  • Albert D. Cook, 1897
  • Albert G. Hahn, 1898
  • Henry E. Gaylord, 1899
  • George M. Selfridge, 1900
  • Harrison E. Dunbar, 1901
  • Harry E. Brainerd, 1902, 1903
  • Charles W. Bartlett, 1904
  • Ray P. Scott, 1905
  • David E. Hattiman, 1906
  • Hugh Sinclair, 1907, 1908
  • Ernest T. Brown, 1909, 1910
  • Charles H. Smith, 1911; SN
  • Frederick H. Webster, 1912
  • Leon H. Dunklee, 1913
  • Albert Hagar, 1914
  • David Glassford, 1915; N
  • William H. Downs, 1916
  • Marine Cooper, 1917, 1918
  • Ralph N. Bachelor, 1919
  • Alexander B. Sinclair, 1920
  • Irving Royston, 1921
  • Robert Hall, 1922
  • George F. Canney, 1923
  • James C. Weir, Jr., 1924
  • Norman H. Richards, 1925
  • Dwight H. Eaton, 1926
  • James J. Ingham, 1927
  • William H. Brown, 1928
  • Albert Sorton, Jr., 1929
  • Carl A. Carlson, 1930
  • Ralph H. Burnett, 1931, 1932
  • Ralph B. Wilson, 1933; N
  • Ronald Astley, 1934; N
  • Robert A. Brainerd, 1935
  • Stanley A. Scott, 1936
  • Edwin A. Lewis, 1937
  • Samuel A. Watson, 1938
  • Harold Hansen, 1939
  • Clarence H. Smiledge, 1940
  • A. William Astley, 1941
  • Charles J. Buss, Jr., 1942
  • J. Holden Camp, 1943
  • Joseph G. Griffin, 1944
  • Ernest C. Smith, 1945
  • Joseph J. Lacey, 1946
  • Huey H. McKay, 1947; SN
  • Edger G. Thompson, 1948; N
  • William A. Green, 1950
  • Charles Lempke, Jr., 1951
  • Carlton O. Stiles, 1952
  • Robert T. Hardy, 1953
  • Robert W. Wilson, 1954
  • Kenneth A. Snape, 1955
  • W. K. Brooksbank, Jr., 1956, 1982
  • Ernest E. Perron, 1957
  • Thomas S. Simpson, 1958
  • Clarence C. DeWolfe, 1959
  • Philip Hano, 1960
  • Alfred P. Charron, 1961
  • David W. Lewis, 1962, 1963
  • William H. Colgan, 1963
  • Allen W. Stewart, 1964
  • Harrison B. Fecteau, 1965
  • Frank Obremski, Jr., 1966
  • Jos. R. P. Champagne, 1967
  • Raymond I. Duff, 1968
  • Wilfred O. Hatch, Jr., 1969
  • Francis R. Dressell, 1970; N
  • Albert D. J. Asprey, 1971
  • Richard B. Scott, 1972
  • Walter E. Schmitter, 1973
  • Kenneth S. Wilson, 1974
  • Ronald E. Jackson, 1975
  • Kenneth C. Haskins, 1976
  • Leonard A. Neumann, Jr., 1977
  • Louis Laferriere, 1978
  • Robert Martin, 1979
  • Robert W. Tucker, 1980
  • James D. Hoisington, 1981
  • Philip Hano, III, 1983
  • William I. Mandell, 1984
  • Eugene G. Anderson, 1985
  • Christopher D. Bascom, 1986
  • John M. Gauger, 1987; PDDGM
  • William P. Daly, 1988
  • Raymond J. LeClair, 1989
  • John E. Wehr, Jr., 1990, 1999
  • Henry A. Fusari, 1991, 1992
  • James A. Cassidy, 1994, 1998
  • Donald L. Grise, 1995
  • Donald T. Cherry, 1996
  • Mark C. Mueller, 1997; PDDGM
  • Clark Stevens Mandell, 2000
  • Mark A. Cohen, 2001
  • Michael Wehr, 2002
  • Donald Sargent, 2003
  • Brian T. Gibbons, 2004
  • Edward L. Alford, 2005; PDDGM
  • Paul A. Cataldo, 2006, 2007; PDDGM
  • Robert D. St. George, 2008, 2009
  • Ralph Lamy, 2010
  • Karl Ferguson, 2011
  • Tyler W. Seavey, 2012


  • Petition for Dispensation: 1869
  • Petition for Charter: 1870


  • 1919 (50th Anniversary)
  • 1944 (75th Anniversary)
  • 1969 (Centenary)
  • 1994 (125th Anniversary)



1873 1876 1888 1901 1912 1921 1922 1923 1924 1927 1936 1947 1951 1961 1974 1976 1980 1982 1983 1988 1989 1993 1995 2001 2008


  • 1944 (75th Anniversary History, 1944-55; see below)
  • 1969 (Centenary History, 1969-131)
  • 1994 (125th Anniversary History, 1994-73)


History of Mount Holyoke Lodge, by Historical Committee

  • R.W. Ronald Astley, Chairman
  • R.W. David Glassford
  • Wor. Harry E. Brainerd

Twenty-five years ago, March 29, 1919, one of our most esteemed members, Worshipful Fred M. Smith, presented a history of Mount Holyoke Lodge on the fiftieth anniversary celebration. The first portion of that history is worthwhile repeating tonight because it would remind us that history truly repeats itself. He wrote:

The last four years for the world. . . . the last two years especially for this country, has been a history making epoch, such as the world has never witnessed before. The overthrow of dynasties, of Kings and Queens, and crushing of long matured and carefully laid plans for world dominion, the rise of democracy, the deeds of valor, the long sufferings and great sacrifices) the great works accomplished, the saddened homes and communities, the ultimate triumph of right, have all been such that they will remain indelibly recorded on the memories of this generation and generations yet to come, and last till time shall be no more.

A lodge is a certain number of Masons duly assembled, legally constituted, having the Holy Bible, Square and Compasses, with a Charter or Warrant empowering them to work.

Seventy-five years ago, four years after the Civil War, a group of respected Masons and citizens of South Hadley evidently read and re-read this important paragraph of Masonic law and decided at that time that it would be well to petition the Grand Lodge for a dispensation for a Lodge, to be known as Mount Holyoke. Perhaps this group looked out over the Connecticut Valley at the Mount Holyoke range and from this picture of strength and beauty decided to name this child of Masonry Mount Holyoke Lodge, knowing that in its growth there should be strength to support and beauty to adorn all great and important undertakings.

Early in 1869, an application was made to the Grand Lodge for a Dispensation which was granted on March 30, 1869, by Most Worshipful William Sewall Gardner, Grand Master, and Right Worshipful Solon Thornton, Recording Grand Secretary. In his report to the Grand Lodge in 1869, Right Worshipful D. W. Crafts, District Deputy Grand Master of the 10th Masonic District, in which the Lodge was first assigned, truthfully said that Mount Holyoke Lodge was an offspring of Mount Tom Lodge. He then enumerated the signers under the dispensation, stating that with one exception, all had been dimitted from Mount Tom Lodge. The fifteen petitioners for a dispensation were:

  • Rev. George E. Fisher
  • James O. Allen
  • William Harris
  • Benjamin C. Brainard
  • R. Ogden Dwight
  • George F. Bassett
  • John A. Smith
  • Martin V. B. Jenkins
  • Richard Green
  • Irving W. Brown
  • John Sinclair
  • Karl August Kappell
  • Emerson B. Judd
  • Frederick W. Moos
  • Rev. Richard Knight

The officers under the Dispensation were:

  • Rev. George E. Fisher, Worshipful Master
  • Emerson B. Judd, Senior Warden
  • William Harris, Junior Warden
  • R. Ogden Dwight, Secretary
  • Benjamin C. Brainard, Treasurer

The petitioners for a Charter, none of them superstitious because there were thirteen, received this Charter June 6, 1870, and this document was signed by William Sewall Gardner, Grand Master; Samuel C. Lawrence, Senior Grand Warden; Richard Briggs, Junior Grand Warden; Solon Thornton, Recording Grand Secretary. A listing of the thirteen Charter members and the Lodges in which they received their.degrees are as follows:

The history would not be complete without a recording of the first officers who worked under the new Charter, and these officers were installed July 25, 1870.

  • Worshipful Master: Rev. George E. Fisher
  • Senior Warden: James O. Allen
  • Junior Warden: William Harris
  • Treasurer: Benjamin C. Brainard
  • Secretary: John L. Mathews
  • Senior Deacon: George F. Bassett
  • Junior Deacon: John A. Smith
  • Chaplain: Rev. Richard Knight
  • Marshal: Martin V. B. Jenkins
  • Senior Steward: Richard Green
  • Junior Steward: Irving W. Brown
  • Tyler: John Sinclair

Mount Holyoke Lodge was organized in the old school building on School Street and has occupied six locations during lhe past seventy-five years. The first lodge-room was in the Glasgow Company's building on School Street and remained there a trifle over four years. The Lodge then moved to the Graves and Walton Building at the corner of Main and Bridge Streets, which was afterwards known as Dudley's Hall. The entire third floor of this building was occupied by Mount Holyoke Lodge. On September 5, 1885, this building was destroyed by fire and all of the property of Mount Holyoke was destroyed with the exception of the present jewels, which were in a case on the wall of the Tyler's room, similar to the one now used. This case fell face downward, and protected the jewels, which were found later in the day by Brother Serbertrum E. Bliss.

The oldest recording in the Secretary's book is dated October 2, 1884, and Brother Thomas Van Riper, Secretary, closed his report as follows: "No further business appearing the lodge closed in peace and harmony." During these past seventy-five years peace and harmony truly has prevailed, else this Lodge would not have gone forward as it has, in the Masonic way of life.

Our oldest living Past Master, Worshipful William H. Smith, received his first appointment, that of Junior Deacon, by the late Worshipful Earl M. Scott on November 13, 1884. His presence here tonight thrills the Brethren of Mount Holyoke because he "knocked at the door of Freemasonry" on November 23, 1882, and has continued his interest in our institution up to the present time, a period of sixty-two years.

The first mention of charity outside of the Lodge is listed in the February 4, 1886, records: "On motion the treasurer was ordered to forward $5.00 to Grand Secretary for Texas Sufferers."

One of the most interesting excerpts from the records is dated August 26, 1886, and reads: "Lodge was opened on M.M. degree in due form. The Lodge was then formed in procession.and marched to the Connecticut River R.R. Depot and took a special train to Northampton assisting in the ceremony of laying the corner stone of the new county court house at the above named place, after which all marched to Round Hill and partook of a clam-bake and then returned.to the Connecticut River R.R. Depot and took a train to Holyoke and marched to the lodge room. The lodge was closed in due form. Thomas Van Riper, Secretary." The invitation for this ceremony was extended to Mount Holyoke on August 5, 1886, by Jerusalem Lodge of Northampton.

As previously stated, fire destroyed the Lodge on September 5, 1886, and the Grand Army Post immediately extended an invitation to use their rooms until permanent quarters were obtained. Two evenings after the fire, a meeting was held in Grand Army Hall by a special telegram dispensation received from Most Worshipful Abraham H. Howland, Jr., Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts. At the second meeting held in the Grand Army Hall, September 27, 1886, an invitation was read from Mount Tom Lodge extending the use of their rooms together with the paraphernalia until the Lodge obtained suitable rooms. Mount Tom Lodge at that time was located on High Street in Holyoke. We readily accepted this kind invitation and remained at Mount Tom until January 6, 1887, at which time it was voted to return to the original home on School Street, at an annual rental of $100.00 Per year. Our return to South Hadley Falls was on February 3, 1887, after holding six delightful meetings within the Mount Tom Lodge rooms.

Through an invitation received from Hampden Lodge in Springfield, we find that Mount Holyoke Lodge again took part at a public ceremony on F'ebruary 22, 1889, at which time we assisted in the exercises of laying the corner stone of the Post Office Building in Springfield.

You and I think little of the many conveniences that we have at the present time, but in going through the records, we find that on March 7, 1889, an interesting motion was made: "Moved that a committee of three be appointed to confer with the Electric Light Co., in regard to electric lights - Bros. F. M. Smith, S. W. Johnson and S. E. Bliss were appointed."

In 1889 the Johnstown Flood caused nation-wide interest and sympathy. Mount Holyoke Lodge, in a small way, voted to assist the sufferers by sending $25.00 to the Grand Secretary of Pennsylvania.

Mount Holyoke has been honored by having four District Deputy Grand Masters and the first appointment was Right Worshipful Horace W. Gaylord, who made his official visit to the Lodge on October 24, 1889.

A very few years ago our own Grand Lodge strongly recommended that the Treasurers and Secretaries of all Lodges should be bonded in order to protect the individual Lodge and to make for a better business structure. On November 7, 1889: "Moved that the Treasurer give a bond of $1500.00. Carried." It is quite evident that our fore-fathers in Masonry had the same thoughts as we folks of fifty-five years later.

During the past year, perhaps because of the war, Lodges have had heavy schedules, such as two degrees in one evening or a business meeting and a degree which has sometimes caused the work to continue until a rather late hour. Here is a meeting in Mount Holyoke recorded on November 15, 1889:

  • Open Lodge in due form.
  • Installation of Officers by Rt. Wor. Horace W. Gaylord.
  • Lodge of M.M. closed and a Lodge of F..A. opened.
  • Bro. S. E. Bliss was again initiated E.A. for practice.
  • Lodge of E.A. was closed and a Lodge of F.C. opened.
  • Bro. S. E. Bliss was again passed to the degree of F.C. for practice.
  • Lodge of F.C. closed and a Lodge of M.M. opened.
  • Lodge closed in peace and harmony.

On March 3, 1892, it was moved that the Lodge accept the proposition of Mr. Carey for the whole of the top and part of the second floor of his block on Main Street (over Lane's Market), at a rental of $200.00 per year and amended that the Lodge take a lease for ten years. The committee who arranged this contract consisted of Brothers H. W. Gaylord, J. W. Bean, F. M. Smith, E. W. Thompson and H. E. Gaylord. It is of interest to note that sn August 4, 1892, the Lodge "moved the furnishing committee use a good generous sum to furnish the new Lodge Room. Carried."

The first meeting in the new Masonic Hall (Carey Building) was held on November 3, 1892, and at that meeting Brother Fred M. Smith was elected Worshipful Master. On the 25th of November a public installation of officers was held and 325 were present. The mernbers now living who were present at that meeting are Worshipful Brothers Wm. H. Smith and A. D. Cooke and Brother Charles P. Hennick.

On January 4, 1894, an application from the Brethren of South Hadley was received asking permission to apply for a dispensation to form a Lodge ar South Hadley. Permission was granted by Mount Holyoke Lodge, but fortunately for all, nothing further developed along this thought.

An invitation from the committee on the celebration of the 150th anniversary of South Hadley was read on July 2, 1903, and a committee appointed, with Worshipful Fred M. Smith as Chairman. A month later this terse statement is recorded: "Report of Committee on float that they had performed the duty assigned them."

Again, this time on November 1, 1906, modern conveniences were in the minds of our Brethren when it was moved that the Lodge install gas in the kitchen.

One of our most beloved District Deputies, Right Worshipful Clarence A. Brodeur, on his visit to Mount Holyoke on April 18, 1907, presented remarks and suggestions from the Most Worshipful Grand Master in relation to a Masonic Home in Massachusetts. One month later the committee that was appointed reported favorable and it was then moved that Mount Holyoke contribute to the expense five per cent of the gross receipts every year for five years. In the address of the District Deputy nine years later, he said: "that Mount Holyoke Lodge stood at the head of the honor list in regard to the Masonic Home Fund having paid $758.58."

On August 7, 1913, it was voted to vacate the present quarters in the Carey Building at the expiration of the present term, namely: September 1, 1913, and it was further voted that a committee be appointed to negotiate with the Directors of Iona Lodge of Odd Fellows at South Hadley Center for the temporary use of their hall. We immediately changed our location to the Odd Fellows Hall, holding the first meeting on September 4, 1913, and continuing until we entered the present building. During the time that we held our meetings ar South Hadley Center, the members of Mount Holyoke formulated plans for a building of our own. The Mount Holyoke Masonic Association was organized and chartered, and immediately secured the land from the Carew heirs; also by an exchange of a small portion of this with the Congregational Church.

The corner stone of our new Masonic home was laid on September 26, 1914, with appropriate Masonic ceremonies. Right Worshipful Eugene L. Sheldon, Acting Grand Master, opened the exercises while members of the Grand Lodge Suite had places on an improvised platform. The officers of Mount Holyoke Lodge stood in a semi-circle before the stone and the invited guests were seated in the building. The address was delivered by Right Worshipful Clarence A. Brodeur, Acting Deputy Grand Master, and then principal of the Westfield Normal School. Perhaps the most impressive pan of this memorable occasion took place when three blasts of the bugle signified to those present that the stone had been laid according to the ritual of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge and that the srone had been laid level, square and plumb.

The oficial Grand Lodge Suite composed:

  • R. W. Eugene L. Sheldon of Easthampton as Grand Master
  • R. W. Clarence A. Brodeur of Westfield as Deputy Grand Master
  • R. W. Chauncey E. Peck of Wilbraham Senior Grand Warden
  • R. W. Edwin L. Davis of Chicopee Falls as Junior Grand Warden
  • Wor. Lewis N. Richards of Holyoke as Grand Treasurer
  • Wor. J. E. Bronson of Holyoke as Grand Secretary
  • Bro. Rev. H. H. Morrill of Springfield as Grand Chaplain
  • R. W. Harry P. Ballard of Maiden as Grand Marshal
  • R. W. Charles C. Spellman of Springfield, Past Grand Warden
  • R. W. Edwin A. Blodgett of Springfield, Past Grand Warden
  • R. W. William E. Gibbs of Westfield, D. D. G. M. 18th Dist.
  • R. W. Arthur P. Delabarre of Conway, D. D. G. M. 14th Dist.

It was on March 4, 1915, that Mount Holyoke Lodge held its first meeting in this temple, with an out-turning of members such as had never before been seen in the history of the Lodge. The following month, April 10, 1915, the temple was formally dedicated by the officers of Grand Lodge. Again Mount Holyoke Lodge had the opportunity of witnessing our Ancient Grand Lodge Ceremony, with Most Worshipful Melvin M. Johnson, Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, dedicating the building with Corn, Wine and Oil. The dedicatory address at this ceremony was delivered by one of the outstanding Masons of our time, Right Worshipful Frederick W. Hamilton, Grand Secretary of the Grand Lodge, who spoke on "Universal Benevolence."

The Grand Lodge oficers present at this meeting were:

Our own Right Worshipful David Glassford was Worshipful Master of Mount Holyoke during this period of our history.

It was on January 4, 1917, that the Worshipful Master announced that Mount Holyoke had again been greatly honored by having one of our members appointed Distict Deputy Grand Master of the 17th Masonic District - the late Right Worshipful Charles H. Smith, who served Masonry, and particularly this District, well during his two years as Dbputy.

From the records of November 7, 1918, it was voted that the delegates to the Grand Lodge be instructed to vote to retain the old custom - one black ball to reject a candidate. Many times this question has been brought before Grand Lodge and it is interesting to note that our members of twenty-five years ago believed in the same method as practiced today.

We observed our fiftieth anniversary on March 29, 1919, with Worshipful Ralph Batchelor presiding in the East. Mount Holyoke was again pleased to welcome our Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott. It was at this meeting that Most Worshipful Leon M. Abbott presented to one of our Past Masters, Worshipful Henry E. Gaylord, a Henry Price Medal for work well done.

On September 11, 1920, the Brethren of Mount Holyoke had the pleasure of attending the laying of the corner stone of the Masonic Temple in Holyoke. The Lodges in Holyoke and our Lodge in South Hadley have always extended hands of friendship across the Connecticut River, and it is only natural that we, too, were proud and happy. on this occasion. Our own Brother William Taylor Ramsay of Mount Holyoke Lodge, both an operative and speculative Mason, placed the corner stone. At the next regular meeting of Mount Holyoke, it was voted to extend an invitation to the Holyoke Lodges to use our Temple during the completion of their new building.

The Henry E. Gaylord Fund was started on September 6,1923, with a donation of $100.00 to be used for charitable purposes. Worshipful Henry E. Gaylord was the sponsor and the fund continues to be active in our Lodge. Along this same thought of charity, we notice that we voted that $50.00 be taken from the Charity Fund to be applied to the Mississippi Flood Fund of the Grand Lodge. This is another instance where the Brethren of Mount Holyoke extended their charity beyond the confines of our community.

Sadness comes to all Lodges and we in Mount Holyoke suffered a great loss on January 7, 1928, when our beloved Past Master, Worshipful Fred M. Smith, passed along to that undiscovered country. We in the Lodge and in this community were deeply appreciative of the service he rendered to his town, to the state and to the nation, as a sincere, loyal and patriotic citizen. It was through his untiring efforts that we of today have this building which we call our Masonic Home.

Honorary Membership in Mount Holyoke Lodge is rather a rarity because our records show that only three have received this honor. Right Worshipful Archibald A. Brooks of Mount Tom Lodge received honorary membership on December 1, 1932, and once again these two Lodges, Mount Tom and Mount Holyoke, were brought closer together in a Masonic way. Two years later, October 4, 1934, Right Worshipful Edwin Lyman Davis of Belcher Lodge, Past Deputy Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts, was elected to honorary membership. For many years, Right Worshipful Brother Davis has been a vital part of our Lodge and it was quite fitting that he should become an honorary member of Mount Holyoke.

By appointment of Most Worshipful Claude L. Allen, Right Worshipful David Glassford of Mount Holyoke served our 17th District as District Deputy Grand Masrer during 1935-1936. This honor was deeply appreciated by our Lodge and our Disrict truly benefited through the splendid leadership of Right Worshipful Brother Glassford

The flood of March 1936 caused very heavy damage to our community, particularly to the business district, which was completely inundated by the waters of the Connecticut River. The C.C.C. boys stationed at Belchertown were called to our town to sand-bag the bulkheads at the dam and during their stay in South Hadley Falls, were housed in our Temple. Seventy army cots were placed in the banquet hall and also on the first floor of the building and we were pleased to be able to do our "bit" for those boys during those critical days. The four smaller rooms in the Temple were used.by the following merchants and they remained with us until their places of business were reopened:

  • W. C. Cowan Drug Company
  • Lane's Market
  • Miller Barber Shop
  • Bradley Tailor Shop

The Worshipful Master also extended invitations for the use of the Masonic Apartments to St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Knights of Columbus and the Red Men.

Most Worshipful Joseph Earl Perry appointed the fourth District Deputy Grand Master from our Lodge in 1939 and 1940, with Right Worshipful Ronald Astley serving the Lodges of the 17th District during that time.

On F'ebruary 15, 1940, Right Worshipful Roy Perry Miles, then Senior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge, was received in Mount Holyoke as Acting Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts. It was at this meeting that Right Worshipful Brother Miles was presented an honorary membership in our Lodge. Regarding Right Worshipful "Roy" we can only say: "To know him, is to love him" and this is the sentiment of our Lodge to him.

Appropriate exercises were observed on April 27, 1940, at the celebration of the 25th anniversary of our Temple, with Right Worshipful Brothers Edwin L. Davis and Henry O. Holley as the speakers and Right Worshipful David Glassford as Historian.

The only Honorary Life Membership in Mount Holyoke is one that was presented to Right Worshipful David Glassford on November 6, 1941, after faithfully serving as Master, District Deputy Grand Master, Master of the 16th Lodge of Instruction and twenty-two years as Secretary of Mount Holyoke. The Joseph Warren Distinguished Service Medal was presented to him in 1938.

Regarding finances, during World War I and II we purchased War Bonds to the extent of $1200.00. On January 1, 1945, the Mount Holyoke Association Bonds mature and it is pleasing to know that the accumulated face value and interest now amount to only $1600.00. To our Building Association, we are truly grateful for this Masonic Home that they so graciously built for us Masons of today and the manner in which they have so ably financed this project.

For many years, we in Mount:Holyoke have been privileged in having as our tenants and our friends The George E. Fisher Chapter, No. 115, Order of the Eastern Star, who have aided the growth of our Lodge by their untiring efforts to assist at all times. To this splendid organization we are thankful.

This is the recording of seventy-five years of history in Mount Holyoke Lodge - a Lodge that is a vital part of our very lives. Yes, we are proud to be Masons - proud of our Lodge, Mount Holyoke, and we charge our members of the future to carry on this same tradition in Masonry.

And now to Mount Holyoke, we say: "May the Lord Bless you and keep you, may He cause His face to shine upon you, now and always."


  • 1886 (Dispensation to meet in Holyoke due to fire, 1886-129)
  • 1887 (Granting of replacement charter due to fire, 1887-18)
  • 1903 (Case of a rejected candidate, 1903-85)



1869: District 10 (Springfield)

1883: District 16 (Chicopee)

1911: District 17 (Holyoke)

1927: District 17 (Holyoke)

2003: District 27


Lodge web site

Massachusetts Lodges