NEW HALL, AUGUST 1890
From Liberal Freemason, Vol. XIV, No. 5, August 1890, Page 160:
Since 1771 the Fraternity have had a house on the island of Nantucket, and the well kept records of Union Lodge show how true to their trust the members of this Lodge have been. Prior to the anti-masonic period the Lodge owned a hall which was disposed of in those troublesome times. This building, still standing, is on Main Street, in Nantucket, a few steps from the Bank building, and is suggestive of the simplicity of character of the brethren who erected it, and also of their fidelity. To speak without measurement, the structure is about 30 by 22 feet on the ground, two stories high, the hall proper having been in the upper story, when the lower story was devoted to incidental uses. The arched windows in the second story still broadly hint that it was not originally planned for a dwelling house. In association with the old house where the brethren of nearly or quite a century ago were served with refreshment, is now pointed out by some of the older brethren as the place where their fathers and grandfathers were wont to resort, after Lodge, and sit together at so much "a plate." This building is within a "stone's throw" of the new Hall. The most ancient of the old Taverns where the Masons fed was the "Gosnold House," destroyed in the great hre about forty-five years ago.
At the corner of Main and Union Streets was a brick structure, occupied principally for commercial purposes, and owned by Wor. Bro. Henry Paddack. Arrangements have been made mutually satisfactory to all concerned, and highly advantageous to the Lodge, whereby the latter finally will become owner, at a small outlay. The walls of the lower story, originally strong, have been rebuilt, in part, and on these rest a one and one-half story, built of wood, and finished entirely for masonic purposes. The lodge room or hall is 50 by 32 feet, and about 20 feet from floor to ceiling.
Convenient anterooms and a toilet-room are attached, at the westerly end, and over these the dining-hall is constructed. This is reached by a flight of easy stairs springing from the outer ante-room. The street entrance is on Main Street, at the westerly end of the building, and this opens to an easy flight of stairs to the Lodge room floor. To meet the cost of completing this property for Masonic uses, the Lodge has issued six per cent, bonds, and these were taken by the brethren. There are four stores on the ground floor, desirable for business, and these are let to advantage. It is intended to have everything in readiness for dedication by the Grand Lodge officers early in September, and Union Lodge and Isle of the Sea Royal Arch Chapter will then and thereafter occupy the premises.