JAMES F. FARR 1911-1993
Grand Sword Bearer, 1954
Deputy Grand Master, 1966
Right Worshipful James Francis Farr was born on March 17, 1911 at Ludlow, Massachusetts, the son of Charles H. and Stella M. (Greene) Farr He was graduated from Harvard College with honors in 1933 and from the Harvard Law School in 1936 with the Bachelor of Laws Degree.
Following his active service as a Lieutenant in the Coast Guard in World War II, he maintained a private law practice in Boston before becoming associated with the law firm of Hausserman, Davison & Shattuck where he eventually became Senior Partner. From 1989 to 1993, he was a consultant to the firm of Peabody & Arnold. He specialized in probate law and trust and estate planning and was the author of two important reference volumes in this area.
Brother Farr served on a number of corporate boards of directors as well as on many civic and community organizations. These included New England Deaconess Hospital as Trustee and Chairman, Cambridge YMCA as President, Cambridge Home for Aged People as board member, Cambridge Civic Association and Cambridge Community Services. As a member of the Harvard-Epworth Methodist Church, he rendered invaluable service as well as to the New England Conference of the Methodist Church, the Massachusetts Council of Churches, the Methodist Chaplain Commission the General Board of Lay Activities and the National Board of the Coordinating Council of the Church.
Brother Farr was deeply devoted to Freemasonry. The following is a summary of his extensive Masonic career:
- The Harvard Lodge, Harvard University
- Initiated, Passed and Raised, 1944;
- Worshipful Master 1949-1951.
- Grand Lodge of Massachusetts:
- District Deputy Grand Master, Boston Second Masonic District 1952, 1953;
- Grand Sword Bearer, 1954; Judge Advocate, 1954-1957;
- Board of Commissioners of Trials, 1957-1993;
- Deputy Grand Master, 1966;
- Board of Directors of the Grand Lodge, 1975-1993;
- Trustee of the Masonic Education and Charity Trust, 1973-1993.
- York Rite:
- Cambridge Chapter. Exalted June 6, 1962;
- Cambridge Council, Greeted August 4, 1962;
- Saint Bernard Commandery No 12, Boston, Knighted November 10, 1965.
- Scottish Rite:
- Received the Degrees from the Fourth to the Thirty-second in the four Bodies in the Valley of Boston, 1947;
- Sovereign Prince, Giles F. Yates Cottncil, Princes of Jerusalem, 1962-1965
- Created Sovereign Grand Inspector General, 33°, Honorary Member of the Supreme Council in Detroit, Michigan in 1964, and crowned an Active Member at Pittsburgh in 1967.
- He was elected Deputy for Massachusetts in 1976 and served for ten years in that capacity. He became an Emeritus Member in 1986.
He died on October 28,1993 at Cambridge Hospital, following a period of declining health. He is survived by a sister, Carol V. Farr of Belmont and a brother Robert H. Farr of Granby, Massachusetts.
A Masonic funeral service was conducted by The Harvard Lodge, A.F. & A.M. at the Brown & Sons Funeral Home in Belmont on Tuesday evening, November 2, 1993, attended by many Masonic and professional friends and associates. Interment took place at the West Cemetery in Granby.
Right Worshipful Brother Farr will be remembered as a man dedicated to his profession, to his church and to his Fratemity.