Chartered By: Arthur D. Prince
Charter Date: 06/08/1921 1921-200
Precedence Date: 09/08/1920
incomplete; need list of living Past Masters
- Charles H. Pike, 1921
- James C. Horne, 1922
- Roscoe M. Horton, 1923
- Lawrence E. Pope, 1924
- George R. French, 1925
- Gordon A. Sherwin, 1926
- Theo. R. Davison, 1927
- Frank E. Curtin, 1928
- Roy Y. O'Leary, 1929
- James O. Stoner, 1930
- Jacob W. Sipple, 1931
- Gerhard F. Schafer, 1932, 1933
- Harold M. Lawson, 1934
- Lewis S. Pollit, 1935
- Warren J. Schworm, 1936; N
- Millard B. Mosman, 1937
- Sam Wood, 1938
- James B. Johnston, 1939
- Joseph D. Fader 1940
- James Eatough, 1941
- Charles H. Norrington, 1942
- Ronald N. Davidson, 1943
- Irving B. Grant, 1944
- Lawton D. Benedict, 1945
- Roland D. Seger, 1946; N
- Alvah W. Reynolds, 1947
- Thomas B. Girvin, 1948
- Walter F. Breivogel, 1949
- Henry R. Mulholland, 1950
- Edwin E. Palm, 1951
- Gordon V. Sprague, 1952
- John S. Leland, 1953
- Donald W. Barnes, 1954
- James C. Russell, 1955
- Clifton W. Sheppard, 1956
- Frank Hill, Jr., 1957, 1977; N
- Kenneth F. Johnson, 1958
- Robert W. Lawrence, 1959
- Harry R. Ela, 1960
- Albert G. A. Soderberg, 1961
- Clifford O. Mason, Jr., 1962
- Laurence C. Huddy, 1963
- William H. Menslage, 1964
- Donald R. Weber, 1965
- John C. Ramsay, 1966
- Richard Devlin, 1967
- Donald W. Nogueira, 1968
- Floyd Wallace, 1969
- Ronald T. Blake, 1970
- John R. Spanks, 1971
- Earle M. Harting, 1972
- Donald R. Blunt, 1973
- John M. Dobbie, 1974
- Paul W. Nogueira, 1975
- Frederick G. Christensen, 1976
- Frank Hill, 1977
- Robert E. Day, 1978, 1979
- Clifford O. Mason, Jr., 1980
- Robert E. Day, 1981, 1982
- Thomas W. Daly, Sr., 1983-1985
- Robert H. Poirier, 1986
- Robert H. W. Poirier, 1987
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- Petition for Dispensation: 1920
- Petition for Charter: 1921
- Consolidation Petition (with Theodore Roosevelt-Manet Lodge): 1987
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1921 (Deputy Grand Master Allen; Constitution of Lodge and installation)
- 1945 (Wragg; 25th Anniversary)
- 1959 (A. Jenkins; reception for Junior Grand Warden Roland D. Seger)
- 1971 (Jaynes; 50th Anniversary)
- 1987 (Ames; consolidation with Theodore Roosevelt-Manet)
- 1945 (25th Anniversary History, 1945-412; see below)
- 1971 (50th Anniversary History, 1971-211; see below)
25TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, NOVEMBER 1945
From Proceedings, Page 1945-412:
By Worshipful Charles H. Pike.
Atlantic Lodge was conceived in the minds of a group of Master Masons who resided in Atlantic, many of us belonging to Lodges outside of Quincy, with the one idea of having a Masonic home in our district. This was in the winter of 1919—1920.
After going through the necessary steps to obtain a dispensation, we were instituted on Tuesday, November 16, 1920, by Right Worshipful Henry D. Higgins, District Deputy Grand Master, in the Quincy Masonic apartments. At this meeting he presented us the Three Great Lights —a gift from all the Lodges in his district. Eighteen applications were received, all were elected and many of them are active with us today. Our first degree work was in the Wollaston Temple on December 20, 1920, on five of our first elected candidates, and several special communications were held to complete the list.
Our officers always tried to have the meetings interesting as well as instructive and invited many groups to assist us in the work. The outstanding degree work in my term was by the Mayor and other City Officials in the raising of Brother Welsome G. Young, who was our local Councilman. His Honor Charles A. Ross was then, and now is, the Veteran Marshal. Brother Blair B. Taylor, who superintended the building of this Temple, was raised in this group on April 12, 1921.
On June 21, 1921, Atlantic Lodge was constituted by the Grand Lodge Officers headed by Most Worshipful Claude Allen, then Deputy Grand Master, in the Quincy apartments. As early as 1923, we held meetings to consider a building and raise funds. We first purchased a site on Newbury Avenue, opposite the School; but when the Methodist Church decided to sell this building, the committee saw the possibilities and sold the first site at a profit of $3,000, which gave them a good start. A campaign was started which was very successful, as evidenced by this Temple and the fact that it is all ours today. Credit should be, and has been, given the committee: Doc Dennison, Linden Gurney, Blair Taylor, Larry Pope, Dr. Shalit and myself.
The notices for January, 1926, were the first to have the front page that we now use, it being designed for us by Brothers James O. Stoner and Jacob W. Sipple.
On October 13, 1927, the first business and degree work was held in this Temple, our late Worshipful Brother Theodore R. Davison having the honor. This Temple was dedicated November 4, 1927, by Most Worshipful Frank L. Simpson and officers of the Grand Lodge.
On Wednesday, May 17, 1944, we had a special ceremony for burning the mortgage, that we all remember with pride.
On Sunday, November 26th, last, we dedicated our present organ, a gift from Doc Dennison in memory of his wife.
In this twenty-five year period, death has taken many of our members—too many to list here—but I think that some mention should be made of those who have served this Lodge as Masters. Worshipful James C. Horn was the first to start the movement for this Lodge and was our first Senior Warden; Worshipful George E. French, our fifth Master, was our first Senior Steward; Worshipful Theodore R. Davison was our first Inside Sentinel, and besides working his way through the line, he made his reputation working with the building committee; Worshipful Brothers Roy Y. O'Leary and James O. Stoner leave records that are remembered as their services were so recent; Worshipful Sam Wood was actively engaged in the workings of our Lodge from its institution. I appointed him Secretary, and you kept him in that office except for the years that it took for him to go from the South through Master. He was always a worker in other societies, and I knew we needed a Secretary with experience.
Atlantic Lodge has always recognized that we are closely affiliated with the Church, and our records show that we have made several visits as a Lodge.
We have never forgotten that we should keep the ladies interested, and during these years we have had Ladies' Night, and not to be forgotten, the Outings at Dennison Grove.
We hope that the next twenty-five years will be as happy as the last.
50TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, APRIL 1971
From Proceedings, Page 1971-211:
By Worshipful Ronald N. Davidson.
Fifty years have come and gone since the birth of Atlantic Lodge. A full generation of men have carried her banner and directed her affairs and already another lifts its hands to take up the work and carry on into the future.
Most of those who were here at the beginning have long since passed on to that undiscovered country from whose bourne no traveler returns, but their work and efforts still survive.
In the records we read of the character of our founders, their purposes, their pleasures and trials of life and as their successors, it is our privilege to witness the fulfillment of their hopes and rejoice that Atlantic Lodge still survives as an honor to our founders, as a monument to Atlantic now known more commonly as North Quincy, and as an assurance of the lasting values of Freemasonry.
After a year or more of investigations and meetings held in various places in Atlantic a group of prominent Masons of this area petitioned Grand Lodge.
The first Communication of Atlantic Lodge A. F. & A. M. was issued on November 1, 1920 by the then District Deputy Grand Master of the 26th Masonic District, R. W. Henry D. Higgins, of Braintree. By this communication the Brethren were notified that the first meeting of Atlantic Lodge Under Dispensation would be held in the Masonic Apartments, Tuesday evening, November 16th, for the purpose of instituting Atlantic Lodge, for the comfort and convenience of the Masons of Atlantic, with a charter list of sixty-five members of the fraternity. Eighteen applications for the degrees in Atlantic Lodge were read at this first meeting.
By the words "Masonic Apartments" was meant the Lodge rooms of Rural Lodge then meeting in the Shaw Block in Quincy Square.
Right Worshipful District Deputy Grand Master, Henry D. Higgins of Braintree, presided as Master. Worshipful Charles Pike of Lafayette Lodge, Dorchester was chosen to act as Master; James Home as Senior Warden and Roscoe Horton, Junior Warden; George Bennett, Treasurer; Sam Wood, Secretary and Rev. G. Vaughn Shedd as Chaplain. Meetings were held in the Masonic Temple, City Square.
Thirty-five new members were added the first year, making our membership 100. On June 21, 1921, Atlantic Lodge was constituted by Right Worshipful Claude L. Allen, Deputy Grand Master, with Right Worshipful Frederick A. Hamilton, Grand Secretary. (1921 Mass. 200-203) A Banquet was served at 6:30 P.M. after which the Lodge was constituted at 8:00 P.M. After the ceremonies, the American flag which now stands at the right hand of our Master was presented to the Lodge by Brother Welcome G. Young, representing the thirty-five newly made Master Masons raised this year.
From this time Atlantic Lodge has grown to what we are today (the biggest little Lodge for miles around), and in 1922 the Atlantic Masonic Building Association, Inc. was formed with R. A. Dennison as President; T. L. D. Gurney, Treasurer and C. H. Pike as Clerk, with Brothers L. E. Pope, L. M. Shalit, S. E. Bennett and R. B. Packard as Directors.
The purpose of this Building Association was to have a home in Atlantic, and by the end of 1923 the Association had raised a considerable fund towards that Home in Atlantic.
In July 1927 the Association purchased the land and building at the corner of Hunt and East Squantum Streets from the Atlantic Methodist Episcopal Church and immediately proceeded to alter the building. As a result, we have now what is known as the Atlantic Masonic Temple, owned and operated by the Atlantic Masonic Building Association, Inc., and which is used solely for the meetings of Fraternal organizations.
For the next twenty years Atlantic Lodge had their prosperous and lean years, and in 1943 the final payments were made on our mortgage so that the building was wholly in the hands of the stockholders of the Building Association. From 1943 to 1970 the Lodge prospered as in the past and today we have 369 members.
We all hope that the next fifty years will be as prosperous ones for the Lodge and that many of our present members will be here to celebrate the centennial anniversary and enjoy the comforts of the biggest little Lodge for miles around.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- Frank Hill, Jr., DDGM, District 26 (Quincy), 1967, 1968; N
- Warren J. Schworm, DDGM, District 26 (Quincy), 1942, 1943; N
- Roland D. Seger, 1949, 1950; Junior Grand Warden 1959; N