From MasonicGenealogy
Jump to: navigation, search


Location: Boston

Chartered By: Melvin M. Johnson

Charter Date: 03/11/1914 1914-92

Precedence Date: 04/26/1913

Current Status: in Grand Lodge Vault; merged with St. Paul's Lodge into St. Paul's-Algonquin Lodge, 05/28/1988 (1988-49).


According to the original documents, the original name of the lodge was to be Daniel Webster, and it was to meet at Lithgow Hall in Codman Square, Dorchester.


need living PMs list

  • Almon B. Cilley, 1913
  • Samuel Meadows, 1914
  • Bertram J. Watson, 1915
  • Herbert F. Sawyer, 1916
  • Arthur A. Lincoln, 1917; Mem
  • Tom Vickers, 1918
  • Albert G. Prescott, 1919
  • Frederick Reis, 1920
  • George T. Reid, 1921
  • Wallace L. Hancock, 1922; N
  • George H. Keith, 1923
  • Ralph H. Dolliver, 1924
  • Henry D. MacRitchie, 1925; N
  • Wimburn Colter, 1926
  • Harry F. Doull, 1927
  • George C. Glidden, 1928
  • Albert N. Hird, 1929
  • John H. Freeman, 1930, 1931
  • Russell S. Winn, 1932
  • Richard H. Brundige, 1933
  • Carl G. U. Alexander, 1934
  • Leroy S. Harris, 1935
  • Earl S. Dutton, 1936
  • Sten G. Nyberg, 1937; N
  • Edward E. Ransom, 1938
  • George S. Colcord, 1939
  • George A. Ward, 1940; N
  • Lawrence H. Friend, 1941
  • Ralph N. Hurlburt, 1942
  • Willis A. Pyke, 1943
  • Douglas Cunningham, 1944
  • Joseph A. Sneed, 1945; N
  • Robert W. Stackhouse, 1946
  • James A. Sheldon, 1947
  • Merton L. Pratt, 1948, 1949
  • William George McLeman, 1950; SN
  • Laurence B. Woodward, 1951
  • James F. Robinson, 1952
  • James H. Prout, 1953
  • William F. Otto, 1954
  • Max E. Todd, 1955
  • Carl O. Bergenheim, 1956
  • Clifton H. McAuley, 1957
  • Delmar K. McConnell, 1958
  • James N. Gracie, 1959
  • J. Albert Livingston, 1960
  • William L. Hurst, 1961
  • Harry E. Davis, Jr., 1962, 1972; N
  • Percy T. Cox, 1963
  • Ernest L. Cox, Jr., 1964
  • Elmer J. Palmquist, 1965
  • Rolf C. Gaertig, 1966
  • Daniel G. W. Nicoll, 1967
  • Frederick T. Love, Jr., 1968
  • Charles A. Murphy, 1969
  • William L. Hurst, 1970
  • Edward L. Shockley, 1971
  • Harry E. Davis, Jr., 1972
  • Robert S. Willard, 1973
  • William S. Hurst, 1974
  • Donald S. Bjerre, 1975
  • John E. Richards, 1976
  • William J. Alcorn, 1977
  • James F. Robinson, 1978
  • Daniel Gentile, 1979
  • Richard S. Fredholm, 1980
  • Henry Shear, 1981
  • James S. Speranza, 1982
  • Michael A. O'Neal, 1983
  • George E. Alexanian, 1984
  • Edward L. Shockley, 1985
  • Robert C. Speranza, 1986-1988


  • Petition for Dispensation: 1913
  • Petition for Charter: 1914
  • Consolidation Petition (with St. Paul's Lodge): 1988


  • 1938 (25th Anniversary)
  • 1963 (50th Anniversary)



1918 1922 1923 1927 1933 1934 1939 1945 1948 1951 1952 1957 1964 1972 1973


  • 1938 (25th Anniversary history, 1938-99; see below)
  • 1963 (50th Anniversary history, 1963-93; see below)


From Proceedings, Page 1938-99:

During the summer and fall of 1912, a group of interested Masons held several preliminary meetings with the view of establishing a Masonic Lodge at Codman Square in Dorchester. These meetings finally crystallized into the filing of a petition signed by fifty-two Masons to the Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts asking for a Dispensation to form a new Lodge at the place above designated. While this application for Dispensation was pending, thirty of the surrounding Lodges were visited and the consent of twenty-four to the establishment of such a Lodge was obtained.

Finally, a call from Most Worshipful Grand Master Everett C. Benton requested that the signers of the petition for a Masonic Lodge to be located in Codman Square, Dorchester be present in Corinthian Hall, Masonic Temple, April 26, 1913 for the purpose of receiving the grant of Dispensation to said petitioners.

A Grand Lodge was opened by the Most Worshipful Grand Master E. C. Benton as Grand Master, Grand Tyler George W. Chester acting as Grand Secretary, Worshipful George C. Thacher Grand Marshal.

The Dispensation was read by the acting Grand Secretary, Worshipful Brother A. B. Cilley, Worshipful Brother Sam L. Meadows, Brothers Frank F. Derby, Herbert F. Sawyer, Arthur E. Hersom, Charles S. Prescott, and about thirty others of the fifty-two petitioners responding to their names.

The following named Officers answered to their names and assumed their respective stations:

  • Wor. Bro. Almon B. Cilley, Wor. Master
  • Wor. Bro. Samuel Meadows, Senior Warden
  • Wor. Bro. Herbert F. Sawyer, Junior Warden
  • Wor. Bro. Charles S. Prescott, Treasurer
  • Wor. Bro. Arthur E. Hersom, Secretary
  • Wor. Bro. William H. Mitchell, Chaplain
  • Wor. Bro. Frank F. Derby, Marshal
  • Wor. Bro. Arthur A. Lincoln, Senior Deacon
  • Wor. Bro. Tom Vickers, Junior Deacon
  • Wor. Bro. Walter E. Vinal, Senior Steward
  • Wor. Bro. Albert G. Prescott, Junior Steward
  • Wor. Bro. Arthur W. Wyman, Inside Sentinel
  • Wor. Bro. Justus P. Weston, Organist
  • Wor. Bro. Thomas H. Bond, Tyler

Remarks were made by the Most Worshipful Grand Master congratulating the Lodge on their new officers and the location of their Lodge-room and predicting for them a successful career and promising to make a visit in the near future. Proclamation was made by the Grand Marshal authorizing Algonquin Lodge A. F. & A. M., U. D., to meet and transact Masonic business in accordance with the Dispensation granted. The Most Worshipful Grand Master and Grand Officers retired leaving the Organization of Algonquin Lodge in charge of its Officers.

The appointment and action of the following committees was ratified by vote of the Lodge. Committee on Organization, Nominating Committee, Hall Committee, and Lodge Equipment Committee. A new Committee of three was appointed to draw up a set of By-Laws with instructions to report at the May or not later than the June communication. The By-Laws then drawn up and reported form the basis of our present By-Laws.

After certain incidental business had been transacted and there being no further business Algonquin Lodge A. F. & A. M., UD, was closed in form with prayer by Senior Deacon, Arthur A. Lincoln.

At the time of institution the petitioners numbered fifty-two, representing the following Lodges: Lafayette 7, St. Paul's 4, Washington 3, St. John's 3, Rabboni 3, Joseph Warren 3, Revere 3, Adelphi 2, Mt. Tabor 2, and one each from the following: Star of Bethlehem, Temple, Eliot, Mizpah, Columbian, John Warren, Hopkinton, Union, New London, Conn., Hampden, Springfield, Faith, Waldo, Maine, William North, Lowell, Corner Stone, Duxbury, Ancient Brothers, Maine, Antiquity, Quebec, James Otis, Barnstable, King Solomon, Gate of the Temple, Ocean, Georgia, Hibernia, N. B., Wyoming, Orient, and Aberdour.

The names of the petitioners were as follows:

  • Frank F. Derby
  • Melvin W. Kenney
  • Paul C. Klein
  • Edward O. Kenney
  • Walter E. Vinal
  • Robert M. Miller
  • Frederic S. Hunter
  • Walter L. Tougas
  • Emil E. Diettrich
  • Clifford M. Mowatt
  • Almon B. Cilley
  • Arthur A. Lincoln
  • Arthur W. Wyman
  • William J. Harris
  • Robert W. Lennox
  • John Simpson
  • William N. Hughes
  • William W. Smith
  • Arthur E. Hersom
  • Charles S. Prescott
  • Albert G. Prescott
  • Warren L. Thayer
  • Herbert W. Burr
  • Abram G. Berenson
  • William H. Mitchell
  • Isaac W. Derby
  • Eldon A. Clark
  • Samuel Meadows
  • Walter J. Graves
  • Tom Vickers
  • Walter E. Shedd
  • Henry T. Huguley
  • Charles F. Sterling
  • Allen B. Friend
  • William A. Ham
  • Herbert F. Sawyer
  • David P. Goodine
  • Evra S. Harris
  • Charles W. Hawkes
  • Bertram J. Watson
  • William J. Hill
  • George F. Morris
  • Horace E. Walker
  • Arthur W. Banister
  • William I. Tower
  • Ralph H. Dolliver
  • Gilbert C. Jackson
  • Justus P. Weston
  • William H. Googuis
  • Frank E. Alden
  • Ray L. Phipps
  • Nathan C. Harrison

The furnishing of the Lodge was under the direction of the Lodge Equipment Committee of which Brother Herbert F. Sawyer was chairman. However, much of the furniture was supplied through gifts of various individuals, as for instance: The name of the Lodge was suggested by Brother Frank F. Derby. The jewel was designed by Brother Herbert F. Sawyer. The working tools of solid silver were presented by Brothers Sawyer and Derby. The Bible was presented by Wor. Brother Watson. The square, level, and bier were made by Brother Sawyer's father, a member of Star of Bethlehem Lodge, of Chelsea. The three lights, the letter "G", and the truncheons were furnished by Brother Sawyer. Incidentally, the truncheons were made out of coco-bola wood.

The monthly communications of the Lodge were held on the first Monday of each month and were held every month during the year of Dispensation.

At the November communication, the Lodge was honored by a fraternal visitation of Rt. Wor. Freeland D. Leslie, District Deputy Grand Master for the Fourth Masonic District. Wor. Brother Frank M. Weymouth was the District Deputy Grand Marshal and a large and distinguished Suite accompanied the Rt. Wor. District Deputy Grand Master. He was received by Wor. Brother Cilley and following the business connected with a fraternal visitation and the presentation of flowers to the Grand Officers, Rt. Wor. Brother Leslie retired with his Suite.

At the December communication the Lodge was greatly honored by a visit from the Most Worshipful Grand Master Everett C. Benton accompanied by Worshipful Brother George C. Thacher, Grand Marshal of the Grand Lodge, and a distinguished Suite. Following a very pleasing address by the Most Worshipful Grand Master, he presented a gavel to Algonquin Lodge with the following remarks:

To the Worshipful Master, Wardens and Members of Algonquin Lodge, Dorchester, Massachusetts.


The gavel which I desire to present to Algonquin Lodge with my Fraternal regards and good wishes, is from

"The Timber felled and prepared in the forests of Lebanon"

The log from which the gavel is made was imported for the Mass. Consistory in 1910, during my term as Commander-in-Chief, and was exhibited at a meeting of the Consistory on April 22nd. of that year. It was brought from Mt. Lebanon by members of Mt. Lebanon Lodge, Beyrout, Syria, Asia Minor. It came from the same forests where centuries before the timber was secured for the building of the Ark and later both Temples at Jerusalem. It was shipped on February 4, 1910 and arrived in Boston, March 20, 1910, and from that time it was first taken from the Forests of Lebanon until it arrived at the Masonic Temple, Boston, it was never for a moment handled by any other person or in custody of any one except he be a Mason. Please accept as a slight token, not only of the kind regard which your Grand Master has for you and all your Brethren, but also as a token and measure of love from Brothers not only in this country but from across the sea.

Yours Fraternally
(Signed) Everett C. Benton
Grand Master

Constitution of Algonquin Lodge, A. F. & A. M., April 27, 1914.

Algonquin Lodge having worked under a Dispensation dated April 19, 1913 (for about a year) and during that time performed "Work" which was a credit to the Lodge and honor to the Craft at large, made application to the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge for a Charter. After due examination of the By-Laws and the Records by the Committee on Charters and By-Laws the same were approved by said Committee, with the recommendation that the Charter be granted. The recommendation was accepted by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge and a Charter was granted to Algonquin Lodge. The Most Worshipful Grand Master, M. M. Johnson, designated April 27, 1914, for the ceremonies of Constitution and Installation of Officers of Algonquin Lodge.

Previous to the Ceremonies a Banquet was held in Wheton Hall at which nearly 200 Brethren of the Order participated. On returning to our Hall the Most Worshipful Grand Master was informed that Algonquin Lodge awaited his pleasure. Reply was returned that he would immediately proceed with the ceremonies and assisted by all of the Officers of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge, Algonquin Lodge was duly constituted.

Following the ceremonies of Constitution the elected Officers were installed into their respective stations:

  • Wor. Sam L. Meadows, Worshipful Master
  • Bro. H. F. Sawyer, Senior Warden
  • Bro. A. A. Lincoln, Junior Warden
  • Bro. C. S. Prescott, Treasurer
  • Bro. A. E. Hersom, Secretary
  • Bro. F. F. Derby, Marshal
  • Bro. C. A. Digney, Chaplain
  • Bro. Tom Vickers, Senior Deacon
  • Bro. A. G. Prescott, Junior Deacon
  • Bro. A. W. Wyman, Senior Steward
  • Bro. Frederick Reis, Junior Steward
  • Bro. R. H. Dolliver, Inside Sentinel
  • Bro. T. H. Bond, Tyler
  • Bro. J. P. Weston, Organist

On completion of the Installation ceremonies several presentations were made by the candidates raised under Dispensation, consisting of the following:

  • Presentation of a Silk American Flag to Algonquin Lodge.
  • Presentation of a Past Master's Apron to Wor. A. B. Cilley, inscribed on the back of which were the names of the candidates raised under his administration.
  • Presentation of twenty-five dollars to the Charity Fund of Algonquin Lodge. The donors were:
    • Bro. Charles A. Digney
    • Bro. Frederick Reis, M.D.
    • Bro. Frank H. Rogers
    • Bro. Warren A. Spurr
    • Bro. Joseph H. Peacock
    • Bro. George H. Keith
    • Bro. Ernest F. Hayward
    • Bro. Harold J. Prescott
    • Bro. Weinburn Colter
    • Bro. George L. Starks
    • Bro. Frederick A. Sumner
    • Bro. William J. Ellsworth
    • Bro. Edgar C. Wheeler
    • Bro. Irving M. Gottiman
    • Bro. William T. Wickman
    • Bro. Henry V. Crocker

At the May communication Bro. Frank F. Derby presented the name of Wor. Bro. A. B. Cilley for honorary membership, and he was elected to honorary membership at the October communication.

On September 2, 1929 under Dispensation granted by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge Algonquin Lodge moved from its Apartments at Lithgow Hall to the Masonic Apartments at Uphams Corner, Dorchester, and continued there until December 6, 1933, when under special Dispensation of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge it removed its Apartments to Franklin Hall, Dorchester, Massachusetts, and has continued there since that time. At this time, also under Dispensation of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge, meeting night was changed from the first Monday to the first Wednesday of the month.

Of the fifty-two Charter members, seventeen have passed to the Celestial Lodge above. Also, five of the members raised under dispensation. Of the members raised since 1914, forty-one have departed from our midst, making a total of sixty-three. This number includes three Past Masters.

Three Past Masters have been honored by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge by being appointed District Deputy Grand Masters. Namely Wor. Bro. Lincoln, Wor. Bro. MacRitchie, and Wor. Bro. Hancock.

During the administration of Wor. Bro. Doull, the membership reached its highest point, namely 430. As of June, 1937, the membership had receded to 302 due to death and suspensions.

Up to and including the present year there have been twenty-four Masters with twenty-one remaining active, and only one Master served two years.

During its existence covering twenty-five years, Algonquin Lodge has faithfully and strictly conformed to the ancient customs and usages of Free Masonry and has always been obedient and loyal to the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Masons in Massachusetts.

By the Committee:
Wor. Samuel Meadows
Wor. Frederick Reis
Wor. Herbert F. Sawyer Chairman


From Proceedings, Page 1963-93:

by Right Worshipful Sten G. Nyberg

History is always moving forward, ever onward; and only when we pause at some significant milestone as we do tonight, can we reflect on the time that passed and the significant events that have occurred during the last fifty years of Algonquin Lodge, on this our Golden Jubilee.

The history of our first 25 years was ably given by Wor. Herbert F. Sawyer, our fourth Master, on the occasion of our Silver Anniversary, when it was the privilege of your historian to be Presiding Master, and I shall repeat only portions of it.

Preliminary meetings during the summer and fall of 1912 by a group of Masons, interested in establishing a Masonic Lodge at Codman Square, culminated in a petition to the Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Massachusetts for a Dispensation to form such a Lodge. This petition signed by fifty-two Masons received the consent of 24 Lodges out of 30 Lodges located in the surrounding area.

On April 26, 1913, M. W. Everett C. Benton, Grand Master, requested the petitioners to present themselves in Corinthian Hall, Masonic Temple, to receive a grant of Dispensation. According to Masonic custom, the Dispensation was read and thirty of the 52 signers responded to their names and the designated officers assumed their respective stations with Wor. Almon B. Cilley as Master U. D.

After congratulating the Lodge, and proclamation by the Grand Marshal authorizing Algonquin Lodge, A. F. & A. M., U. D. to meet and transact Masonic business in accordance with the Dispensation granted, the M. W. Grand Master and Grand Lodge Officers retired leaving the organization of Algonquin Lodge in charge of its officers.

From these simple but auspicious beginnings Algonquin Lodge has survived the vicissitudes of the time and fortune down to the present.

The name Algonquin was suggested by Brother Frank F. Derby, and the jewel was designed by Brother Herbert F. Sawyer, while both presented the Lodge with solid silver working tools.

At the following December communication M.W. Grand Master Everett C. Benton honored the Lodge with a visit and presented a gavel to Algonquin Lodge made from a log imported from the forests of Lebanon, with good wishes and kind brotherly regards. On April 27, 1914, the Lodge was duly constituted by M. W. Melvin M. Johnson and a suite of Grand Lodge officers, with nearly 200 brethren in attendance. The 16 candidates raised under Dispensation presented the Lodge with an American Flag and a sum of money to the Charity Fund, and a Past Master's Apron to Wor. A. B. Cilley.

During the years following, the Lodge prospered and received its share of candidates, particularly during the years following World War I. Its membership continued to climb until in the administration of Wor. Brother Doull (1927-28) it reached a peak of 430. Since that time its membership fell during the 30's and has been ranging around 300 the last few years.

The brethren of Algonquin Lodge believed that the first quarter century of the Lodge should be appropriately observed. Accordingly, the Grand Master, M. W. Joseph Earl Perry, was invited and accepted. On April 6, 1938, M. W. Brother Perry, together with a small but distinguished suite of prominent Masons, including M. W. Chester Aldrich, Grand Master of Rhode Island, and his Deputy Grand Master, attended this celebration.

After partaking of a dinner together, the Brethren reassembled in the Lodge Apartments, where the Grand Master and his suite were cordially received at the appointed hour by the Master, Wor. Sten G. Nyberg, and escorted to the Oriental Chair, where he presided during the festivities. After addressing the Lodge, M.W. Brother Perry called upon M. W. Brother Aldrich for a few remarks, which he made in a gracious manner to the enjoyment of the Brethren.

The History of Algonquin Lodge from its beginnings in 1913 to 1938 was read by Wor. Herbert F. Sawyer as Chairman of the History Committee. Certain portions of this history have been alluded to in this report and may be found in complete form in the Secretary's records of that significant meeting as well as in the Grand Lodge Proceedings for the year 1938.

The living members of the first class U. D. present were conducted to the East, where the Wor. Master presented each with a coin medallion of George Washington, on the reverse side of which was engraved each member's name and the date on which he was raised. Similar medallions were presented to the Grand Master and to M. W. Brother Aldrich. These unusual mementoes of the occasion were suitably acknowledged by each recipient.

The present custom of the Grand Master's closing the Lodge and Grand Lodge simultaneously in Ample Form not then being customary, M.W. Brother Perry retired with his suite, and the Lodge was closed in Due Form by the Wor. Master, thus marking the end of a noteworthy observance of the first twenty-fire years of Algonquin Lodge's existence.

Algonquin Lodge originally met in Lithgow Hall, but in September 1929 moved to the Masonic Apartments at Upham's Corner where it met for the next four years. The Lodge then moved to Franklin Hall, where it continued to meet until the late 40's, when it became necessary to look for other Apartments.

A committee appointed to look into the matter spent considerable time searching and finally recommended the present location. Extensive renovations were required to convert the quarters into Lodge Apartments and at the same time maintain the decor suitable for continued Church services.

That this conversion was successful is a tribute to the vision of Wor. Richard H. Brundige and Rt. Wor. Joseph A. Sneed, and tie active contribution in the work of Wor. Brothers Herbert F. Sawyer, Albert N. Hird, John H. Freeman, Carl G. U. Alexander and many others. Wor. Brother Alexander has been from the outset a pillar of strength, serving as original Chairman of the Building Committee and always willing to take time to see that all maintenance be properly and promptly taken care of.

After some two years in planning and renovating, the first meeting in the new Lodge Apartments at 43 River Street, Dorchester, was held on June 30, 1949, for the purpose of installing the new officers for the then ensuing year. While it was an aggressive step, particularly financially, it can now be said that with the full support of its members and the help of other Masonic and affiliated organizations who occupy these premises and contribute to its support, we are beginning to see the light and look forward to the time when all borrowed funds will be repaid.

The Dedication ceremonies took place on November 9, 1949, and was participated in by M. W. Roger Keith, Grand Master, and officers of Grand Lodge and attended by many distinguished Masons. The Grand Master presented Wor. Brothers Sawyer and Alexander each with a Joseph Warren Medal for their efforts on behalf of Masonry and Algonquin Lodge.

R.W. Brother Sneed, on behalf of the family of our late Wor. Brother Richard H. Brundige, presented to the Lodge a beautiful Grandfather's Clock, and requested the assembled Brethren to rise while the clock tolled the first low twelve in memory of our departed Brethren.

While it has been rightly said that some organizations are the length and shadow of a man, Algonquin Lodge represents the character and shadow of many men and Masons who have gone before as well as those who remain. With the passage of time, our Charter members and initiates of the first year have passed to the great beyond. We are indeed fortunate to have still with us, although not as active as formerly, one of our charter members and our senior past master, R.W. Wallace L. Hancock, our tenth Master. To him we pay special tribute and salute him as one whom we honor and love for his contribution through all the years of our Lodge's existence. Many of our early members were well known to those of us yet alive and we remember them with brotherly affection: Wor. Almon B. Cilley, Master U. D., Wor. Herbert F. Sawyer, Fourth Master and Treasurer for many years, Rt. Wor. Arthur A. Lincoln, our fifth Master and the first from Algonquin to be appointed District Deputy Grand Master of the 4th Masonic District. He it was at one meeting who very fittingly remarked "It does not take much of a man to be a Mason, but it takes all of him." And Wor. Frederick Reis, our eighth Master and genial Secretary for many years, whose understanding of human frailties and attachment to Algonquin endeared him to us all.

While the foregoing comments concern themselves with Past Masters of our Lodge, let it be remembered that many of the Brethren on the side line made their contribution to the activities and support during the past fifty years. A few of these come to the mind of your historian. Brother George L. Starks, one of the class U.D., was always ready with advice, counsel and support of the officers of Algonquin Lodge.

Bro. John Herman Johnson, from the time he joined our ranks, was active, serving as instructor to the candidates from approximately 1916-1926; at the various gates, particularly the East Gate from 1925-1933; and finally as Marshal from 1935-1944, when upon retirement from his usual vocation, he moved to the South Shore and retired from active participation in the Lodge work.

Bro. William H. Burnham substituted for many of the lower line officers, but like Bro. Johnson refused to enter the active Lodge line. He was finally prevailed upon to accept the position of Treasurer, upon the retirement of Wor. Herbert F. Sawyer, which position he still holds with distinction and a zeal for the financial welfare of the Lodge, fully equal to that of his predecessor and to the full satisfaction of the members.

Our Lodge has been honored by the appointment of six of its Past Masters as District Deputy Grand Masters of the District and several to lesser Grand Lodge appointments. Four have served the 4th Lodge of Instruction, three as Master, Wor. Carl G. U. Alexander, R. W. Sten G. Nyberg, and Wor. William G. McLeman, also our present Secretary, and Wor. Delmar K. McConnell, presently serving as its Senior Warden.

During its fortieth year Algonquin Lodge was honored by the election of R. W. Sten G. Nyberg as Senior Grand Warden of the M. W. Grand Lodge of Massachusetts, thus giving our Lodge its first permanent member of Grand Lodge.

Through the years the officers and members have endeavored to build the structure of Algonquin Lodge on the rock of Masonic Principles and sought to avoid the shifting sands of current expediency. To those who have builded so ably in the past we owe a debt which can never be quite fully paid. To those who come after, we pass a heritage which is rich in the dedication to those Masonic Principles and Landmarks, and to the important services to our fellow men. With a firm reliance in the wisdom of the Supreme Architect of the Universe and Divine Providence, with that same dedication we look forward with confidence to serving our God and our Brethren in the years ahead.



From New England Craftsman, Vol. IX, No. 7, May 1914, Page 278:

Algonquin Lodge, Dorchester, Mass., has been working under a dispensation one year. It was duly constituted Monday. April 27 by Grand Master Melvin M. Johnson and officers of the Grand Lodge. Attending the ceremony was Most Worshipful Everett C. Benton, who as Grand Master officiated when the dispensation was delivered.

The ceremony of constituting the lodge began at 8, and in less than two hours it had become entitled to enrollment on the regis of Grand Lodge.

Almon B. Cilley has served as Worshipful Master during the first year of the career of the lodge.

Under the charter the first organization of Algonquin Lodge is as follows: Samuel Meadows (PM), W. M.; Herbert F. Sawyer, S. W.; Arthur A. Lincoln, J. W.; Charles S. Prescott, T; Arthur E. Hersom, S; C A. Digney, C; Frank F. Derby, M; Tom Vickers, S. D.; Albert G. Prescott, J. D.; Arthur W. Wyman, S. S.; Fred Reis, J. S.; R. H. Dolliver, I. S.; Justus P. Weston, Organist; Thomas H. Bond, Tyler.

Worshipful Master Meadows presented bouquets to Grand Master Johnson and Grand Marshal Farrington. As a tribute from Adelphi Lodge, of which the master is a past master, he was presented a floral remembrance from it by Worshipful Master Sanford.

The 16 initiates in the term bestowed upon Past Master Cilley an apron emblematic his rank and from the same source came American flag for the lodge. The balance the sum that had been collected was handed over to the lodge charity fund.

There were addresses congratulating Algonquin Lodge on the headway it had made a wishes for its prosperity from Grand Master Johnson and Past Grand Master Benton.

Among those present were Eugene A. Holton, Grand High Priest of the Grand R. A. Chapter, Edgar W. Evans, Grand Master the Grand Council R. and S. Masters; George C. Thacher, Commander-in-Chief Massachusetts Consistory.




1913: District 4 (South Boston)

1927: District 4 (South Boston)


Massachusetts Lodges