- 1 ADELPHI LODGE
- 1.1 NOTES
- 1.2 PAST MASTERS
- 1.3 REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
- 1.4 OTHER
- 1.5 EVENTS
- 1.6 GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- 1.7 OTHER BROTHERS
- 1.8 DISTRICTS
- 1.9 LINKS
Chartered By: Charles C. Dame
Charter Date: 10/04/1866 VII-138
Precedence Date: 09/27/1865
According to the centenary history in 1965, the Lodge moved to Watertown by dispensation in 1962. "The urban renewal development and the shift of our members from the city to the suburbs made this move necessary."
Need list of living PMs
- Nicholas A. Appollonio, 1866, 1867, 1868
- Edward H. Brainard, 1869, 1870
- Henry W. Wilson, 1871, 1872
- J. Elliot Bond, 1873, 1874, 1875
- Frank W. Goodwin, 1876, 1877
- Eben F. Roberts, 1878
- William Park, 1879, 1880
- Charles J. Noyes, 1881, 1882
- William H. Lothrop, 1883, 1884
- George H. Colby, 1885, 1886
- Weston H. Osborne, 1887, 1888
- Daniel F. Whitten, 1889
- William Morris, 1890
- Eben S. Corson, 1891, 1892
- Daniel F. Holmes, 1893, 1894
- Ira B. Goodrich, 1895, 1896; SN
- Samuel Meadows, 1897, 1898
- Elmer Millett, 1899, 1900
- George P. Hall, 1901, 1902
- George F. Smith, 1903, 1904
- Adrian Wilson, 1905, 1906
- Frank O. Boothby, 1907, 1908
- Edwad F. Estes, 1909, 1910
- Edwin E. Wallingford, 1912, 1913
- William D. Sanford, 1914
- John W. Johnson, 1915-1917
- George W. Boland, 1918, 1919
- Charles Dres, 1920, 1921
- Conrad Allen, 1922, 1923
- John Tilton McClintock, 1924
- John Jay Cook, 1925, 1926; N
- George E. Mitchell, 1927, 1928
- William D. Halward, 1929
- James F. Shaw, 1930, 1931
- Charles B. Young, 1932
- Charles A. Rumble, 1933
- Victor A. Davis, 1934
- Louis Rosenthal, 1935
- Philip Tagerman, 1936
- Alfred Bohm, 1937
- T. W. Keirstead, 1938, 1939
- Anthony Housenbrink, 1940
- Louis Green, 1941
- Joseph Burwen, 1942
- Max Price, 1943; N
- Joseph Leibovitz, 1944
- Simon Rubin, 1945
- Harry Rose, 1946
- Joseph L. Budd, 1947
- Sidney Sheinkopf, 1948
- Samuel S. Weinrebe, 1949
- Charles M. Elashowich, 1950
- Alfred Sulkin, 1951
- Theodore Marcus, 1952
- William Churnick, 1953
- Albert Sheafe, 1954; N
- Sameut Bluhm, 1955
- Alan M. Edelstein, 1956
- Allan I. Singer, 1957
- Julius Goldstein, 1958
- Seymour C. Dolby, 1959; SN
- Leo I. Barron, 1960
- Joseph Locke, 1961
- Charles S. Goldstein, 1962
- Frederick Rothstein, 1963
- M. Harold Tankin, 1964
- Myron C. Margolin, 1965, 1982
- Seymour E. Kushner, 1966
- Leonard Kogos, 1967
- Paul Waitz, 1968
- Harold Schwartz, 1969
- Richard I. Steinberg, 1970
- Melvin Norris, 1971
- William Epstein, 1972
- Sidney Katz, 1973
- Bertram R. Alkon, 1974
- Bernard J. Weinrebe, 1975
- Richard I. Pavloff, 1976
- James M. Soloway, 1977
- Merrill J. Adler, 1978
- William F. Reade, 1979
- Gerald L. Lerman, 1980
- Joseph F. Cole, 1981
- Myron C. Margolin, 1982
REFERENCES IN GRAND LODGE PROCEEDINGS
VISITS BY GRAND MASTER
- 1866 (Dame; constitution of Lodge; not in Proceedings; see below)
- 1872 (Nickerson; hall dedication)
- 1880 (Welch)
- 1896 (Holmes)
- 1899 (Hutchinson)
- 1900 (Gallagher)
- 1906 (Blake)
- 1910 (Flanders)
- 1920 (Prince)
- 1934 (Chipman; Past Masters' Night)
- 1940 (Perry; 75th Anniversary)
- 1965 (Osgood; Centenary)
75TH ANNIVERSARY HISTORY, NOVEMBER 1940
From Proceedings, Page 1940-296:
By Wor. Bro. Alfred W. Bohm:
On October 6, 1915, the fiftieth anniversary of Adelphi Lodge was held and Wor. Bro. Edward F. Estes compiled a most comprehensive and enlightening history of the Lodge from its inception to that date, covering its first fifty years. His prologue was filled with profuse apologies on his limitations as an historian.
Throughout the book are pictures of our earlier Masters and one of our only living charter members at that time. Wor. Bro. Estes headed his tome "Retrospection." To me that savors too much of the past, for in this ever and fast changing world, yes, in our own changing Masonic Fraternity, we have no call for retrospection. To look forward and plan is a mightv force and is very necessary to the life and well being of everything worthwhile. At the same time, we must take notice oi today, yes, this very minute, and that is why this historr. is called Introspection.
Today, Tuesday, November 19, 1940, we meet to commemorate and add the history of twenty-five years to our beloved Lodge. The passing of seventy-five years in the history of Masonry is short and yet the years show strength and power. Twenty-five years ago, Adelphi Lodge passed its fiftieth milestone and started into the next quarter which ends tonight. Only a few of us remain who were at that last anniversary celebration, and who of those left can but say that Adelphi Lodge has lived up to its glorious past and is going to push ahead to a more impressive future - a future of good will and fellowship among our own members and to all Brother Masons all over this world.
Looking through the records, we find the usual work done by the splendid officers who have passed through the chairs. Some of them travelled the long difficult road to the Master's chair and from there to larger fields and greater honors in Masonry. Others have passed into history, the eternal history, and throughout our records are inscribed splendid memorials to their memories. Among one of real interest is that to Bro. Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States. This memorial was voted for on January 1, 1919, and is a most interesting document.
William B. Wilbur, our only living charter member at our fiftieth anniversary died October 24, 1919, and so is left only tradition.
In 1920 Adelphi Lodge changed its meeting place. For 55 years the Lodge had met in South Boston, and in 1920, a period of unrest was manifest among the membership and a change of Lodge-rooms was demanded. On October 21, 1920, we met for the first time in the Roxbury Masonic Temple, in this very Lodge-room, our present home, and along with our 75th birthday, we can rightly celebrate our 20th year of sojourn in this beautiful temple. The Fellowcraft degree was exemplified with Wor. Bro. Charles A. Drew, presiding Master, conferring the degree on four Brothers. This was followed by the Master Mason degree conferred on five Brothers; Perley Clark Kneeland, Martin Wyke, Edwin Albert Taylor, Thomas Freeman and George Antie Percy. These five were the first to be raised Master Masons by Adelphi Lodge and to sign the Bylaws in our new home. No charter member ]ived to see us meet in our new Lodge-room.
In the early part of 1922 Bro. George F. Lawley, who was our Treasurer for many years tendered his resignation as such. He was a loyal member and always a good worker in the interests of Adelphi Lodge.
On Tuesday, December 20, 1927, our annual meeting was changed from December to September, and. on this date was reported a membership of 376.
In December 1933, our Treasurer of today, Rt. Wor. John Jay Cook, was made District Deputy Grand Master of the 4th South Boston Masonic District, the second of our past Masters to be so honored and the only one raised in Adelphi Lodge to carry this title. Our first D.D.G.M., Rt. Wor. Bro. lra B. Goodrich having been raised in Doric Lodge, Hudson.
On March 20,1934, Adelphi Lodge was signally honored by a visit from the Most Wor. Grand Master, Curtis Chipman. He was accompanied by a most distinguished suite of Masons, one of whom was Most Wor. Rev. Allan F. Shatford, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of the Province of Quebec. Wor. Bro. Victor A. Davis, our present Secretary, was presiding Master and conferred the Master Mason's degree on Brothers Leo Blume and Fred Philip Kaplan.
During the past six years Adelphi Lodge has had the usual ups and downs of the Masonic Lodges in Massachusetts, but we can look into our present day and find a healthy and substantial growth in our own Lodge, not so much a numerical growth as one of stability.
To the Lodge itself must come its power to do, and to each individual member must come the wish to furnish this power. To me this means the working of an ideal - our comradeship and tolerance for the mistakes of others; a feeling for their hopes and aims, all coupled with a spirit of helpfulness; to help a despairing Brother to a greater joy in life and an appreciation of the fact that in Masonry he has truly found a Brother.
When we enter this Lodge we may pause in our hectic stumbling, lay aside our cares of the day and reach out for the pure teachings of our order. Then we may feel the peace and tranquility that this room gives. Adelphi Lodge's heritage is great, its history stands out in the tradition of Massachusetts Masonry. Let us keep that heritage unsullied and fine by greater efforts to build from the inside all the things we learn to do here, then we can look to the future for a splendid anniversary at our 100th milestone.
CENTENARY HISTORY, NOVEMBER 1965
From Proceedings, Page 1965-350:
By Wor. Myron C. Margolin and Wor. Seymour W. Kushner, Bro. Theodore Kingsbury and Bro. Harold W. Heinstein.
Six months after the conclusion of the Civil War, on September 13, 1865, a group of twenty-two Masons met in the home of Worshipful Nicholas A. Appolonio in South Boston for the purpose of organizing a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons. Worshipful Brother Appolonio, who was raised in Saint John's Lodge in Boston and affiliated with and served three terms as Worshipful Master of Saint Paul's Lodge in South Boston, was elected Chairman. After a free discussion of the members present, it was voted to call the Lodge by the name of Adelphi, meaning Brotherhood.
On September 21, 1865, at a meeting in the home of Brother Walter E. Hawes (who was elected Treasurer and served for twelve years), it was voted to look for larger quarters in South Boston as all of the members resided in that area. At this meeting it was also voted that a petition asking for a Dispensation be submitted to the Most Worshipful Grand Master.
On the twenty-seventh day of September, 1865, the Dispensation was granted by Most Worshipful William Parkman . . . "reposing full confidence in the recommendations aforesaid and in the Masonic integrity and ability of the petitioners, do by virtue of the authority of my office, and of Ancient Masonic usage hereby grant this Dispensation authorizing and empowering our trusty and well-beloved Brethren aforesaid to form and Open a Lodge after the manner of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and therein to admit and make Freemasons, according to the Ancient Custom and Not Otherwise. And this Dispensation is to continue in force, until the regular Quarterly Communication of our Grand Lodge aforesaid, to be holden in the City of Boston in the month of September, A.D., 1866, A.L. 5866 unless sooner revoked by me or by authority of our said Grand Lodge."
On October 5, 1865, the first Regular Meeting of Adelphi Lodge was held in Odd Fellows Hall, Broadway, South Boston. The Secretary was instructed to "procure a case for the preservation of the Dispensation granted by the Most Worshipful Grand Master."
On May 3, 1866, the first meeting was held in the "New Masonic Hall" at the corner of E and 372 West Broadway, South Boston.
The evening of October 4, 1866 was set aside to hold the extremely important Constitution Exercises. A large Suite of Grand Lodge Officers were present. Among the invited guests were the Masters of Saint Paul's Lodge and the Gate of the Temple Lodge; the High Priests of Saint Matthew's Royal Arch Chapter, and Saint Omar Encampment, Knights Templar.
It is interesting to note that Most Worshipful William Parkman granted the Dispensation, and Most Worshipful Charles C. Dame signed the Charter.
The first year the Brethren were extremely energetic. From September 13, 1865 to October 4, 1866 when the Constitution Exercises were held, they had thirteen regular meetings and twelve special meetings. The membership had increased from twenty-two to sixty-six and there were seven rejected candidates.
Lodges were usually opened at 7 1/2 o'clock and did not close until 11 1/4 or 11 1/2 o'clock. The names of all Officers and members attending a Meeting were listed in the Secretary's report. Inasmuch as almost all of the members lived in South Boston, it was the "Tiler's" job, along with his many other duties, to deliver the meeting notices personally.
This example set by our founding Brethren has been the pattern followed by Adelphi Lodge for 100 years.
Brethren: Adelphi Lodge has reason to be proud that it was the first, if not the only Masonic body in this jurisdiction, that admitted to its membership a colored mason. Although that circumstance is nothing more than a just and proper recognition of the cardinal doctrine of Freemasonry, which teaches that "every creature whom God has made, is to him equally near," it is a matter for honest pride that this Lodge was loyal to its profession.
On October 17, 1887, the following letter from the Grand Master was read . . . "the terrible conflagration and the need and suffering of our destitute brethren in that City, and the great need for funds, makes it necessary for all of us wherever possible to subscribe or vote funds from the Lodge and pay to our Grand Secretary so that he may forward the same to them." Upon motion it was voted that the sum of $100.00 be donated.
On December 15, 1891, the twenty-fifth anniversary of the Constitution of the Lodge was held in Masonic Temple, 372 West Broadway, South Boston. Worshipful Brother Eben S. Corson was Master with Brother Daniel F. Holmes, Senior Warden and Brother Ira B. Goodrich, Junior Warden.
On May 17, 1898, Brother Walter W. Morrison presented the Lodge with an interesting relic in the form of a gavel made of the wood taken from the companionway of the Battleship Maine, which was destroyed in Havana Harbor on February 15, 1898. A vote of thanks was tendered the donor for this most interesting and valuable gift. A silver plate suitably inscribed, containing its history, was attached to this gavel. It has been preserved and is still in use to this day.
In 1901, Worshipful Ira B. Goodrich was appointed our first District Deputy Grand Master.
On October 6, 1915, the fiftieth anniversary of Adelphi Lodge was held and an all-encompassing history of Adelphi Lodge was compiled by Worshipful Brother Edward E. Estes.
In 1920, Adelphi Lodge changed its meeting place. For fifty-five years the Lodge had met in South Boston, and in 1920 the membership voted a change of Lodge rooms. On October 21, 1920, we met for the first time at the Roxbury Masonic Temple, 171 Warren Street, Roxbury, Massachusetts.
In the early part of 1922, Brother George F. Lawley, who was our Treasurer for many years, tendered his resignation. In 1965, a member of the Lawley family presented Brother Lawley's Jewel of Office to the Lodge to be preserved in our Archives.
In December 1933, Worshipful Brother John J. Cook was appointed District Deputy Grand Master of the South Boston 4th Masonic District. He was the second of our Past Masters so honored and the first one raised in Adelphi Lodge to carry this title, as our first District Deputy Grand Master. R.W. Ira B. Goodrich was raised in Doric Lodge, Hudson, Massachusetts.
On November 19, 1940, the Lodge celebrated its 75th anniversary with Worshipful Louis Green presiding. A history of the Lodge was written and read by Worshipful Alfred W. Bohm. It was entitled "Introspection" and highlighted the first 75 years of our existence.
From the records of the November 20th, 1951 Meeting . . . "Adelphi Lodge was signally honored by the Grand Master at our October Meeting. For the first time in the history of Adelphi Lodge, a Distinguished Service Medal was awarded to one of our Brothers. Brother Theodore Kingsbury, Chairman of our Service and Visiting Committee, was the recipient of this medal from R.W. Fredric W. Clausen, D. D. G. M. It was a fitting reward for many years of magnificent effort by Brother "Ted" in remembering the sick and distressed Brethren of our Lodge. In 1952, he was elected to Honorary Membership."
In 1955, Most Worshipful Whitfield W. Johnson honored R. W. Max Price when R. W. Francis A. Troy presented him with a Joseph Warren Medal.
In 1962, Adelphi Lodge once again, under dispensation, moved from Roxbury to Watertown. The urban renewal development and the shift of our members from the city to the suburbs made this move necessary.
In 100 years of Masonic Activity we have had 67 Worshipful Masters and four District Deputy Grand Masters. R.W. Ira Blake Goodrich served from 1901-1902. R. W. John Jay Cook from 1934-1935. R. W. Max Price from 1947-1948 and in this, our 100th Anniversary year, the Grand Master has again honored one of our Past Masters in appointing R. W. Seymour Clarence Dolby to be his representative.
This review of the highlights of our first 100 years brings to the surface irrefutable evidence that Adelphi Lodge is ready for whatever the future may bring. We view with pride our propagation of true Masonic principles, and as we contemplate the past, we are content that upon this firm foundation, future generations of Brothers may build 'till time shall be no more.' May the blessing of Heaven rest upon us and all regular Masons. May Brotherly Love prevail, and every moral and social virtue cement us.
- 1869 (Jurisdictional dispute, VII-395)
- 1918 (Illustrated lecture at GL by Wor. Joseph Hathaway, 1918-56)
- 1920 (Jurisdiction change in charter, 1920-276)
- 1967 (Petition to remove to Quincy granted, 1967-90)
CONSTITUTION OF LODGE, OCTOBER 1866
From Moore's Freemason's Monthly, Vol. XXVI, No. 1, Page 16:
The organization of this new and promising Lodge, located at South Boston, took place on Thursday the fourth of October last, in the presence of a large number of Brethren and ladies. The ceremonies were performed by the M. W. Grand Master, assisted by his officers. They were of the usual description, and were of course well performed. The music with which they were interspersed was well selected, and executed in an unusually excellent manner. It seemed to give the highest satisfaction to all present. At the conclusion of the ceremonies the company were invited to the banqueting hall, and partook of one of Brother Farwell's excellent entertainments. The tables were beautifully and tastefully ornamented, as all his tables are, and their contents such as to command the praise of the whole company. The officers of the new Lodge are as follows : —
- N. A. Apollonio, Master.
- F. E. Jones, Senior Warden.
- H. W. Wilson, Jr., Warden.
- W. E. Harris, Treasurer.
- Wm. C. Culver, Secretary.
- Rev. G. S. Abbott, Chaplain.
- P. P. Ingalls, S. Deacon.
- George Baxter, Jr., J. Deacon.
- W. B. Wilber, S. Steward.
- S. A. Stackpole, J. Steward.
- E. M. Cate, Marshal.
- C. J. Lovejoy, I. Sentinel.
- Wm. D. Rockwood, Tyler.
GRAND LODGE OFFICERS
- John Jay Cook, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1934, 1935; N
- Seymour C. Dolby, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1965, 1966; SN
- Ira B. Goodrich, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1901, 1902; SN
- Max Price, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1947, 1948; N
- Albert Sheafe, DDGM, District 4 (South Boston), 1977, 1978; N
- Daniel Taylor Brigham; [masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MAOtherBrothersB#BRIGHAM.2C_DANIEL_TAYLOR_1840-1908 Memorial]
- Joshua B. Smith; Memorial
- William Tyner; [masonicgenealogy.com/MediaWiki/index.php?title=MAOtherBrothersT#TYNER.2C_WILLIAM_1831-1908 Memorial]